PDA

View Full Version : Summerfest in Milwaukee (7/3/11)

RamboIV
07-04-2011, 04:56 AM
Seeing Don Felder perform his show for the third time in 3 years was a blast! He performed on a free stage at Summerfest in Milwaukee at 10pm on July 3rd, 2011.

Felder was in top form tonight - he really got into the music! Since he was playing so late, I expected a shorter setlist, but that was not the case, he played for a solid hour and a half! And to my surprise, he returned his cover of "Superstititon" to the setlist!

I took a bunch of great photos, and I shot some nice video of "Heavy Metal" (I was 2nd row), but UNFORTUNATELY, the audio is awful because I was so close to the stage. Good visual, bad audio. Listen to it with the speakers turned down. I figured this would happen, so I didn't record anything else.

Willy Porter, a local group, opened for him and they packed it in! When the finished, the place cleared out and the benches were nearly empty (maybe 100 people?) when Felder came out. I felt so embarrassed for him... until he started playing, and the crowds that walked past the stage heard the music and filled the place to near capacity. Certainly this speaks to a lack of name recognition for Felder.

When I see some bands at free stages at Summerfest, I worry that they might phone it in a bit because, well, it's a free show. But this was not the case for Felder - he gave it his all and he looked like he was having a lot of fun. Much improved since last year!

A few notes -- he dedicated "Witchy Woman" to Tiger Woods. He mentioned that South Park had "just recently" used "Heavy Metal" for an episode (that aired in 2006, ha.) Also, his guitarist, I swear, looks A LOT like a young Joe Walsh. Same mannerisms and everything. Weird, but actually kind of cool. Very reminiscent of that old "Hotel California" video.

What was really cool was that during the first half of his show, you could see the 3rd of July fireworks being shot off behind him. Seeing that to the guitar solo of "Already Gone" was awesome!

My only "complaint" is that frankly, the setlist is a little stale. But then again, I've seen him three times. And stale setlists aren't exactly unheard of for current or ex-Eagles.

I always though he should start with the Eagles hits he's comfortable with, but then slowly, transition some out for songs that belong to him - "All of You", "Over You", maybe something from "Airbourne"? He doesn't even change up the covers that he did -- he's being doing "Pride and Joy" and "Superstition" since he started touring! But then again, he probably realizes that promoting himself as "an Eagles act" is a better business venture.

I guess we'll see what happens if he ever releases that new album of his.

Updated set list: (07.03.11)
Hotel California
Already Gone
One of These Nights
Pride and Joy (Stevie Ray Vaughn cover)
Victim of Love
Peaceful, Easy Feeling,
Tequila Sunrise
Seven Bridges Road
-Band Intros-
Those Shoes
Heavy Metal (Takin' a Ride)
The Long Run
Witchy Woman
Superstition
Heartache Tonight
Life in the Fast Lane
Take It Easy (encore)

WalshFan88
07-04-2011, 05:22 AM
Very cool! Great review.

Although Joe Walsh is my favorite and hero, Don Felder is #2 for me. Those two make up my favorite guitar duo of all time. I prefer the Hotel California era Eagles myself, or even the Long Run era. I love watching old videos of Walsh and Felder playing together.

The sad thing is I don't know when I'll be able to see Felder as he isn't playing any public events near me. The one close by I thought was public is actually a closed private event and even still, it's 4 hours away. But you better bet if he comes within a couple hours of me and a public show, I will be there. I admire Don Felder a lot.... Walsh is my #1 and my guitar hero, but Felder is a huge inspiration and another hero to me. Those two on that "Hotel California" song and album is why I started playing guitar and formed an Eagles tribute and it really changed my life. I give all the credit to this great band and especially Walsh and Felder.

I'm looking forward to seeing pics if you have them! :) I always love seeing Don's beautiful Sunburst Les Paul and his cool Strat!

RamboIV
07-04-2011, 04:07 PM
I will definitely try to post some photos tomorrow, but in the meantime, here's the video!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6UFMy_fU1c&feature=channel_video_title

Happy 4th of July!

Lisa
07-04-2011, 04:52 PM
This has to have been a great show! Thanks for writing about it!

sodascouts
07-04-2011, 08:52 PM
Thanks for the review and the video - looking forward to seeing more photos! How awesome to see fireworks in the background.

RamboIV
07-05-2011, 11:47 PM
Can you guys see these photos? Or does facebook block them?

http://www.facebook.com/#%21/photo.php?fbid=1869749115938&set=a.1590844863506.2067768.1607400220&type=1&theater

http://www.facebook.com/#%21/photo.php?fbid=1869749355944&set=a.1590844863506.2067768.1607400220&type=1&theater

http://www.facebook.com/#%21/photo.php?fbid=1869752396020&set=a.1590844863506.2067768.1607400220&type=1&theater

And tell me this guy doesn't look like 80's era Joe Walsh...
http://www.facebook.com/#%21/photo.php?fbid=1869755996110&set=a.1590844863506.2067768.1607400220&type=1&theater

sodascouts
07-05-2011, 11:50 PM
I can't see them. :(

Troubadour
07-06-2011, 01:02 PM
Very cool, Austin! I'm glad you enjoyed the show.

sodascouts
07-06-2011, 04:38 PM
Rambo IV isn't just a Joe Fan - he's named Joe as well!

Ive always been a dreamer
07-06-2011, 05:53 PM
I can't see the pictures either, Joe. But thanks for the review. Sounds like another really good show! :thumbsup:

luvthelighthouse
07-07-2011, 11:50 AM
I didn't know Felder was playing Summerfest until a few days prior... and I hadn't decided to go to Summerfest this year... damn shame on my part. I would have liked to have seen him. Summerfest is awesome... what a great venue to see him at!

Can't see the pics, but glad you had a good time and thanks for the review!