PDA

View Full Version : Rupert Murdoch

TimothyBFan
07-12-2011, 08:04 AM
I thought of Don and the montage this morning also while listening to the news, talking about poor Rupert Murdock's most current troubles. :hilarious:

Brooke
07-12-2011, 01:09 PM
I was wondering what Don was thinking about RM now, too! :hilarious:

Annabel
07-12-2011, 01:10 PM
Yep. Crossed my mind too. :hilarious:

Freypower
07-12-2011, 06:33 PM
I thought of Don and the montage this morning also while listening to the news, talking about poor Rupert Murdock's most current troubles. :hilarious:

'Poor Rupert Murdoch'.... my ex countryman may finally perhaps get what is coming to him. That is all I will say on this subject.

EaglesKiwi
07-13-2011, 04:21 AM
'Poor Rupert Murdoch'.... my ex countryman may finally perhaps get what is coming to him. That is all I will say on this subject.
Here's hoping.

Unfortunately, I have a feeling that RM himself will get away with it... although if by any chance his takeover bid for BSkyB is stopped that will hit him where it hurts.

sodascouts
07-13-2011, 03:57 PM
I think I will give Mr. Murdoch his own thread! He certainly has been in the news lately!

Rupert Murdoch Acts to Limit Fallout from U.K. 'News of the World' Scandal (http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2011/jul/07/news-of-the-world-rupert-murdoch)

U.S. Senator Seeks Murdoch Investigation (http://news.cnet.com/8301-27080_3-20079200-245/u.s-senator-seeks-murdoch-investigation/)

Unfortunately, I have a feeling that RM himself will get away with it... although if by any chance his takeover bid for BSkyB is stopped that will hit him where it hurts.

Check it out:

Murdoch Drops Bid for British Sky Broadcasting (http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2011/07/13/ap/business/main20079237.shtml)

Freypower
07-13-2011, 06:58 PM
Well, I will say something, now there's a thread. NB: my political views will be mentioned.

I live in a country where Murdoch owns 70% of all newspapers plus most of Sky Television. As Americans will know from Fox News he pursues an aggressive right wing agenda which is designed to demonise all 'liberals'. In Australia he is bent on the destruction of the current Labor government (which is on the mild left) and will do anything in his power, including lining up the lackey columnists in his newspapers, to do so. The only national newspaper here, the Australian, is basically a propaganda organ for the conservative Liberal party (NB the word 'Liberal' in this context does not mean what it means in the US).

The behaviour of this organisation in the UK has been beneath contempt. Hacking into the voicemail of murder victims & giving their families false hope. Bribing police & the Royal Family's protection officer for information. Hacking into all the personal affairs of former Prime Minister Gordon Brown & breaking the 'news' of his son's cystic fibrosis. I could go on and on. For decades both British & Australian politicians have been in the man's pocket & he has done whatever he liked (I am not going to discuss Fox News here).

It's time News was exposed for the rotten family fiefdom that it is & Murdoch & his minions brought to account.

Well, that was some rant. Perhaps the word ALLEGEDLY should preface the second paragraph.

Troubadour
07-13-2011, 07:01 PM
Rant all you like about Murdoch, Julie. I agree with every word you wrote. Very well stated.

Ive always been a dreamer
07-13-2011, 09:41 PM
And "ditto"!

I usually avoid political discussions, but I find this man to be rather contemptable.

sodascouts
07-13-2011, 09:51 PM
It doesn't matter what party you are - if you've broken the law, you need to be held to account.

EaglesKiwi
07-14-2011, 06:06 AM
I'm going to try to limit my comments to the hacking scandal & journalism standards.

From Soda's link:

"What we must do in the coming days and weeks is think above all of the victims ... to make doubly sure that we get to the bottom of this and that we prosecute those who are responsible," (Prime Minister David Cameron)

And later in the article:
Its ramifications for News Corp. and its executives — particularly Murdoch's son James, head of News Corp.'s European and Asian operations, and the chief of its British division, Rebekah Brooks — are still playing out.

I hope that they do prosecute those responsible. Including the most senior levels, who ultimately are responsible for everything that happens on their watch.

Not only is journalism dead & gone, so is common decency in this industry. Gone are the days when facts were checked and allegations not reported until they were proven.

Freypower
07-14-2011, 05:17 PM
What annoys me is they apparently think they can get rid of the Rebekah Brooks 'problem' by sending her down here to run one of his rags, presumably because Australians wouldn't care about the woman's ethics or lack of them.

Anyway it's now spreading to the US:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2011/jul/14/hacking-murdoch-paid-us-lobbyists

EaglesKiwi
07-15-2011, 05:58 AM
What annoys me is they apparently think they can get rid of the Rebekah Brooks 'problem' by sending her down here to run one of his rags, presumably because Australians wouldn't care about the woman's ethics or lack of them.

Anyway it's now spreading to the US:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2011/jul/14/hacking-murdoch-paid-us-lobbyists

I would be more surprised if they HADN'T been sleazing around in the States. Bigger opportunities...

I hope Rebekah Brooks is included in the thorough investigation into this, it's nauseating that she has got away with pleading innocence so far.

Annabel
07-19-2011, 05:51 AM
I hope Rebekah Brooks is included in the thorough investigation into this, it's nauseating that she has got away with pleading innocence so far.

I heard she was shocked when she was arrested to be questioned. Although she knew that she was going to be questioned by the police. Will be interesting to see what comes out of the 'chat' with the MPs today.

This has also now lead to the two top men in the metropolitan police resigning and this morning a whistle-blower journalist from the News of the World has been found dead at his home. It is being treated as unexplained not thought to be suspicious. (He had a drink and drugs problem the TV news claimed.)

EaglesKiwi
07-19-2011, 06:23 AM
I heard she was shocked when she was arrested to be questioned. Although she knew that she was going to be questioned by the police. Will be interesting to see what comes out of the 'chat' with the MPs today.

This has also now lead to the two top men in the metropolitan police resigning and this morning a whistle-blower journalist from the News of the World has been found dead at his home. It is being treated as unexplained not thought to be suspicious. (He had a drink and drugs problem the TV news claimed.)
And would that be a thoroughly unbiased TV news channel by any chance? Is such a thing even possible?

I'm intrigued to see how the appearance before the MPs goes. Will they take the opportunity to really dig to the bottom of this, or are they all too concerned their own pasts might be raked over?

Annabel
07-19-2011, 12:18 PM
Well :shrug: it was the BBC that I heard it on. :)

Somebody has thrown shaving foam pies at Murdoch. Managed to get to him somehow. :hilarious: It's actually being screened live http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-14193124 (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-14193124)

Rupert Murdoch is said to be struggling under the questioning.

sodascouts
07-19-2011, 01:42 PM
I think unbiased news is possible if you have enough people with different perspectives doing oversight and people who put fairness over personal agendas. Unfortunately, those people are hard to find - especially in the entertainment business (which is what news has become).

Somebody has thrown shaving foam pies at Murdoch. Managed to get to him somehow. :hilarious:

Ugh. Murdoch dug his own hole and deserves to pay for any crimes he's committed, but those people need to find more constructive ways to spend their time than lame juvenile crap like that.

Troubadour
07-19-2011, 01:51 PM
His wife gave the guy one heck of a slap.

sodascouts
07-25-2011, 01:15 PM
Thought this was amusing (note: The Onion is a parody newspaper)

Rupert Murdoch Worried He Might Have Damaged Heretofore Perfect Reputation (http://www.theonion.com/articles/rupert-murdoch-worried-he-might-have-damaged-heret,21005/?utm_source=active_promotion&utm_medium=facebook&utm_campaign=facebook_post)