PDA

View Full Version : Niagara Falls 08-24-11

sodascouts
08-25-2011, 10:56 PM
This sucker is long so I decided to give it its own thread. Here we go!

Could this night be better than last night (https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3231), we all wondered? Well, we were about to find out. In my humble opinion, the answer is YES!

My seat was 3rd row center, next to Dreamer, PLS, and FP. GA was at the far end. GL and her husband were eighth row center; HH and her husband were at the front. HH did us proud, by the way, representin’ for the Border up in the front row and rockin’ out!

As before, I'll let other folks tell you about their "special moments" themselves - don't want to steal anyone's thunder. ;)

The security seemed to be cracking down a bit on cameras, but I saw a guy in front of me surreptitiously filming at least part of the time. Perhaps it will show up on YouTube. One hopes!

Glenn was dressed more casually, wearing black jeans and a brown coat with a shirt unbuttoned at the neck, no tie. He seemed very energetic and cheerful, smiling from the outset. As he came to the microphone, I realized that I was DEAD center in front of him and I couldn’t wipe the huge smile off my face. When he grinned back, I started laughing sheepishly because I felt a bit foolish, I was grinning so widely. I simply could not stop smiling. I was just so happy to be there!

Even though it was the second night, it still felt fresh – especially since I had a different seat and a different perspective. The seats the first night had been great, but the view was sometimes a bit obstructed by the piano. Not so this night, especially as at the beginning the people in the second row in front of us did not arrive until the third song. Talk about a great view!

There were some changes to the order of the setlist and the songs. Shockingly, he didn’t play his biggest solo hit “The Heat Is On.” I think that was probably going to be an encore that never materialized due to time constraints or whatever, since he played it as an encore last night and people ate it up. “Some Kind of Blue” and “Take It Easy” were added. I don’t know if he planned to do those last night and forgot/ran out of time (apparently they were quite rushed the first night; he said they didn’t even have time to rehearse the encore) or he just decided he missed the songs and wanted to add them back! Anyway, I liked the order much better this time. “Lyin’ Eyes” is a fabulous song everyone loves, but I think it’s better earlier in the set rather than as the last song.

The fact that the setlist was a bit different was a special treat for people who were there both nights! Kept us guessing!

The audience this night was also more energetic and into it. Lots of chair dancing and the occasional standing ovation – plus a stage rush at the end! Woot! Just like running up at the end of a Stevie Nicks show for “Edge of Seventeen”! To the women who started that stage rush – I salute you!

Here’s the rundown:

Glenn came out to thunderous applause and went right into Peaceful Easy Feeling. He sounded magnificent from the get-go. After the song, he said that he was a having a great time. “I probably should just move here and play 20 nights in a row,” he joked. I was thinking “I would have to move here, too, then.” lol He then said he had an “eclectic set” and that those of us who had been to the show the night before would notice there were some differences. At that point, he asked how many people had been there the night before. When so many of us on Row 3 (all ladies) raised our hands, he joked there were “six women” who had come both nights. Someone – HH? – yelled “Seven” and he laughed and said “Yes, seven women.”

Then, he transitioned into the next song by saying he was going to play some songs from his “checkered past” and then his “not too bright future” which garnered a big “AW” from the audience. Yeah, I get it, self-deprecating humor… but my reaction was still along the lines of “Not too bright future? WhatEVER!”

The next moment I was swept away into the awesomeness that is Take It to the Limit, however! He sung it with a lot of spirit. I know I’ve said it a million times but I love this song so much! I've never yet been to a show where this song hasn't been terrifically performed and everyone was loving it.

After that, he went over to the piano and sat down. As he prepared to play, he said, “My mother insisted I take piano lessons.” That got cheers as obviously those lessons garnered impressive results! The mention of his mom apparently inspired him to quickly tell the “I’m from Detroit where mother is half a word” joke. At that point, he sniffled a bit and said, “I’m either allergic to money or someone in the first two rows has some bad cocaine. I have the sniffles.” That got laughs, of course. He then said, “Here’s a song we didn’t do last night. This is from an album I did called Soul Searchin’. This song is called ‘Some Kind of Blue.’” It was perfection! After the song, he said “I’m sure you’re all going to want to buy my Soul Searchin’ album now.” He paused as folks cheered, then said wryly, “It’s out of print.”

Next, Al Garth started up that familiar sax line for The One You Love. People started clapping immediately. Glenn sang it very soulfully. He sounded amazing. He had sung well the night prior, but his voice was even stronger this night and he seemed more confident, too.

Then, it was off of the piano again as the strains of Silent Spring played (our lone Strange Weather representative, if you can count it), and he grabbed the guitar to begin Tequila Sunrise. It was lovely as always.

After that song, he began talking about the Eagles would be doing for their 40th anniversary. Now, he had actually mentioned some of this the first night, but he had prefaced it with “Don’t go tell people in an internet chatroom that Glenn said the Eagles would be doing this.” I heard that and I’m going “What’s up with that? Does he mean the message board? And if he doesn’t want the info shared why is he saying it in front of 1500 people?” I was majorly confused, so I figured I’d play it safe and not mention it in the review. However, last night, he didn’t say anything about chatrooms, and I think I figured out what he meant the first night. I think he was worried that we would say that the Eagles were definitely doing this, when it was just a possibility. Therefore, let me make clear that Glenn did not say the Eagles WOULD be doing it… just that they MIGHT be doing it.

So, without further ado, here is what he said:

“Next year will mark the 40th anniversary of the first year of the Eagles getting a record out.” He paused. “It turned out pretty good for me, actually,” he smiled. “So we’re trying to figure out what to do for the 40th anniversary of the Eagles besides just…” at this point someone yelled “TOUR!” And he said, “Yes, tour! You must know the other guys in the band.” We all laughed. “Anyway, we’re working on a DVD – The History of the Eagles – which we will hopefully put out next year. It will clear up a lot of misconceptions and lies that have been spread all around about us over the years… about feuds… all that kind of stuff. So actually, it has a lot of interviews, biography type stuff, should be an interesting project. So I said to the guys in band, ‘Well, maybe we should record some songs that were done by the guys that came before us, the bands that we really admire… the Byrds, the Beach Boys…' so we started talking about it and I’m not sure we’re gonna do it, but I hope we do.”

So that’s the Eagles news! However, in the context of the show, all of that was the preface to his introduction of the next song. He continued that the band was still discussing it, but “in the meantime, I said, ‘Well, heck, let’s at least see what a couple of these things sound like.' So, we recorded a song just about a week ago and we’re gonna do it for you now. The song is written by Neil Young. Neil Young is one of my favorite Canadians, along with Martin Short, Leonard Cohen,” he paused. “Those are the only people I can think of right now. But… anyway… we decided to record it. The story goes that Neil Young wrote it, they recorded it, and then he quit the band – Buffalo Springfield was only together for about a year and a half – so Richie Furay had to sing the song ‘cause Neil wasn’t around. So we’re going to do it for you now. This is called ‘On the Way Home.’” Now, the first night was the first time I had ever heard this song, so I was like “Hmm, what’s this?” at that point. I was so surprised that I didn’t really have a chance to listen carefully, although I enjoyed it! Well, this second night, I did listen carefully and I liked it even more!

After this song was where Dreamer, PLS, and I got our shout-out! “Nice to see everybody in Row 3 tonight,” he said, then looked at us and smiled. “Girls,” he nodded at us. We squealed with delight, lol. He continued, for the benefit of the audience, “Those are three girls I met at Pebble Beach when I was playing in the Pebble Beach pro-am. On a rainy, rainy 50-degree day, there’s three girls following me and Craig Stadler around and God, they’re getting soaking wet! I’m thinking, ‘What is going on?’” He was grinning widely and we were just dying!!! We didn’t expect that but we were lovin’ it, as you can imagine! He added there were “also a couple of other ladies here tonight that we saw all over Europe this summer” – I think those might have been the ladies next to me. They knew all the words to the songs and were obviously total hardcores just like we were!

Then he started playing You Are Not Alone. This song is so lovely, and I had a bit of a flashback to when I heard it the first time in Niagara Falls in 2007. I’ll never forget that night!

At this point, he started talking about his new album that he had been working on for the last year and a half with “some of the guys up here and other musicians in L.A.” He said, “I hesitate to call it a standards album, but it’s an album that explores a lot of songs and singers that I loved from the 1920s to the early 1960s. Stuff like Dinah Washington, who is my favorite female singer of that era, and Nat King Cole, Burt Bacharach, stuff like that. We’ve had a lot of fun recording it. It’s called After Hours and we’re going to share a couple of these songs with you now.” Realizing that most of the audience wasn’t expecting to hear songs like that, he said “We appreciate your indulgence and then we’ll get back to the cowboy dream crap.” He said the latter with a twinkle in his eye and everybody laughed.

And thus it was time for Route 66. Very jazzy! He did his dancing again tonight and this time I could see Glenn getting down and getting funky full-on as opposed to an obstructed side view! Nice! He cried out “jitterbug!” at one point. I don’t know if that’s what he was trying to do but whatever it was, it was really cute. I was certainly chair-dancing! This is another song I appreciated even more tonight than last night. He got a standing ovation from a few of us for it. He probably wondered whether we were giving him an ovation for his singing or for the way he was shakin’ it – on my part, at least, it was a combination of the two!

The next song was Shadow of Your Smile. I was eager to hear it again because the first night it was very hot, and It was even hotter this night! The way he sang “A teardrop kissed your lips… and so did I…” holy crap, it was sexy. We gave him a standing ovation for this one, too. Now, I didn’t want to be that person who gives a standing ovation for every song because that kind of cheapens the idea of the standing ovation, and we had just given him one…. but dang, this song was so smokin’ I couldn’t help but get to my feet again! I actually fanned myself and I don’t know if Glenn saw it or not, but he did look pleased by the audience reaction.

Then it was time for Caroline No. He introduced it with, “I’m going to do a song now… I didn’t just do songs from the 50s and early 60s. I did a couple songs that are a little more recent, too. I’m going to do two of them for you right now. First is a song recorded by the Beach Boys.” Such a wistful song! I love the way he sings “You break my heart… I want to go and cry…” It’s interesting to compare it with the way Tim does it – Tim’s voice on this is very sweet and pure, which gives his version a sense of “innocence lost.” With Glenn, it’s more of a vibe of impassioned, anguished grief. Interesting how the tone of the vocal can give the lyrics a different nuance. I’ve never heard the original so I don’t know which is closer to Wilson’s interpretation, but I enjoy both Tim’s and Glenn’s versions in different ways.

He introduced The Look of Love by saying he had always been a big Burt Bacharach fan and he named some Bacharach songs he liked such as “Say a Little Prayer,” “The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance,” “Town Without Pity,” and “Raindrops Keep Falling on My Head” (I’ve always loved that last one)! He sang it with a smooth, mellow vibe.

Just when some of the men in the audience were starting to get antsy with all the love songs, he made ‘em happy by pulling out Lyin’ Eyes to great applause. This one is a hit every time! He was so cute mouthing “much” after “she won’t have to worry.” Love it!

After this song, some random dude who is apparently very confident in his masculinity yelled out “PLAY IT BABY!” Glenn heard it and said to the band, “Play it loud for that guy back there!”

Smuggler’s Blues was the slow version again. OK, I have a confession to make. As much as I have complained about it in the past, I found myself getting into it this time. It does have a bit of a funky groove that pulls you in. Still, it’s better as a rocker, IMHO!

Then, he started introducing the wrong song! He starting talking about Jack Tempchin and Bobby Whitlock writing the next song and he was naming several songs Tempchin wrote or co-wrote when suddenly he stopped and said “Oh, no, I’m wrong! Wrong story! Sorry! This next song is actually by Eddie Hinton…” as everyone chuckled, he said with a smile, “Hey, at least I won’t have to introduce the song after this!” It was I’ll Come Runnin’ Back to You. You can tell Glenn has a lot of fun with this song!

Now it was time for the song he’d originally been introducing before, Who’s Been Sleeping in My Bed. He said, “Now, THIS song was written by Jack Tempchin and Bobby Whitlock… but of course you already knew that!” The song was great – the crowd was really getting into it, especially some of the guys in front of me who perhaps could relate. lol Glenn’s growly vocal was hot, and he also played a guitar solo on it. I love it when he does that!

He went back over to the piano to play You Belong to the City. Introducing it, he said that now he was coming to what he called the “throat killer” portion of the show. “These are songs that I sang perfectly the day we recorded them, but I was a lot younger. Anyway…” With such an intro, I figured he must be nervous about hitting all the notes , and I wondered if he would fall back on the falsetto. Sure enough he did, but it was only for the bridge, and the song still rocks! (Personally, I think he should talk the bridge until he gets to “You still don’t know where you’re going.” I’ve heard him do that before and it works.) Regardless, the song always gets a huge response. It has such a sense of drama to it; the way it builds, the way Glenn ‘tells’ the story as he sings, the amazing interplay between Danny Grenier on guitar and Al Garth on sax… I love intense songs like that.

Afterwards, he commented, “It’s nice when there’s other guys singing lead every now and then!” and smiled wryly. Then, he grabbed a lemon section from where he keeps his water and stuff. He showed it to the audience and explained, “Salt on a lemon. I don’t recommend it, but I saw the Beatles do it on Let It Be. It’s supposed to open your voice up.” He held it up to his mouth, paused, and said with mock seriousness, “This is ugly. I don’t want you to look.” He turned his back and sucked on the lemon, then wheeled around to face us with his mouth all puckered up! Everybody was cracking up. He laughed and said, “It’s probably not gonna work worth a darn.”

Well, he might have been a bit hesitant to let loose on “You Belong to the City,” but that lemon must have given him what he needed, because he held nothing back for Heartache Tonight. He hit this one out of the park! He got a standing ovation after this, and as he walked out, people were hooting and hollering for more.

Before the encore, there was a stage rush! Sweet! I got a position behind a couple rows of people at the stage. Several other Borderers got closer to the middle but I was the last out of the row and too slow, lol. Still, I could easily see Glenn up close – I can’t complain!

I tried to listen extra carefully for the bass player’s name during the band intros and it sounded like “Wade Berry.” Still, it was hard to make out, so I did a little web research and found out the guy is named Wade Biery. His blog is here if you want to check him out: http://www.stillmusic.com/wordpress/ and he has an entry specific to Glenn here: http://www.stillmusic.com/wordpress/?p=242

Glenn shot into Take It Easy and I have to admit I was glad it was back! Yeah, it’s been played a gazillion times, but it’s such a freaking awesome song and it’s undeniably a signature song for Glenn. It's also a nice nod to "how it all started." It only felt right to have it in the set.

After the cheers for that crowd-pleaser died down, he introduced the next song with “This song was originally recorded by Smiley Lewis. They stole his publishing and he wasn’t smiling anymore.” Ouch! “I learned this from Dave Edmunds,” he continued as the band kicked into gear. It is, of course, I Hear You Knockin’! Folks were rocking out to it. Great for an encore!

Now, he’d done two encores the night before and he hadn’t yet played The Heat Is On, so I figured surely he’d be back. Sadly, that was not to be. After several minutes of the crowd begging for more, the lights came up and that was that. I guess he ran out of time.

Well, it was an incredible show and I loved every minute of it. If Glenn does this again, I’ll be there… but of course, you already knew that, didn’t you? ;)

WalshFan88
08-25-2011, 11:06 PM
VERY cool Soda!!!! Great review!

I'm excited about that DVD tour and the tour. I'll be there if they come to Chicago again. :partytime:

luvthelighthouse
08-25-2011, 11:28 PM
Seriously, an awesome recap of what was clearly an amazing night! I know that Glenn telling the entire room how he came to meet you ladies at Pebble Beach is a tatoo on your memory of life. Wow!

I love that he did so much talking! Love more, that you remembered it all. As for the Eagles stuff... I hope it's true. That DVD would be fantastic!

Thanks for the details! Did you ladies get any pics together?

Windeagle
08-25-2011, 11:52 PM
Thank you so much for such detailed reviews. I recently read the Pebble Beach thread so I knew the story. You all must've been floored! Wow!

What an awesome trip!

cheryl
08-26-2011, 12:09 AM
Sounds like a great time. I love reading your reviews. It gives me something to enjoy while doing rehab for my new knee. I will be purchasing Glenn's new cd when it is available. Intrigued about the Dvd of the history of the Eagles. Having Glenn give all of you a shout out it fantastic. Wish he could do a show closer to Indiana; would be great for me.

Koala
08-26-2011, 12:41 AM
Thank's so much for your detailed terrific review, Soda! I have enjoyed again very much to read them!
WOW! These two nights have to be really unforgettable all those special moments for you all!

Annabel
08-26-2011, 01:33 AM
Well another amazing night for you by the sounds of it. Pleased it all went well and great mention for the 3 of you. Wow. Looking forward to hearing from the others too. Great news about a dvd snd here's to the UK being in any tour. :)

EaglesKiwi
08-26-2011, 03:59 AM
Oh WOW. In fact - HOLY FREAKIN' CRAP!!! :hilarious:

Thanks for the fantastic review, Nancy. What a magnificent concert. Loved the tidbit about the Eagles working on something AND maybe touring. :partytime:I'll be throwing out my optimism into the cosmos that both those projects come to fruition. :angel:

How cool that Glenn told the story about Pebble Beach. :nahnah:

And changed the show up a bit - very very cool.

So, on to the big question: you said he was having fun, but - was he flirting??:inlove:

Prettymaid
08-26-2011, 09:07 AM
Well, it sounds like the DVD is already being worked on, but I guess for Glenn's sake I'll say,

WOO HOO!!!!!!!!!
to the DVD we "might" get!!! ;)

Henley Honey
08-26-2011, 09:29 AM
Fabulous review, Soda. Heck -- I was there and STILL found it riveting!
I don't think you missed a thing. And you're right -- the 2nd night's energy was different, the crowd was more into it and so, in turn was the band -- Danny and Glenn especially. (Plus front row seats didn't hurt!!) It was me that said "seven" to correct the number of "repeaters".
The stage rush felt a little like a New York Subway ride. I had to be a bit forward to keep my position. I got shoved a little, but it worked out fine. It came out of nowhere and those two security people had a "deer in the headlights" look on their faces. Too funny.
We hung around after the concert and tried to get the set list -- but couldn't. I was talking it up with one of the ushers who was trying to get it but the boss said no. Boo.
Julie took a few pictures on Tuesday night, but I don't think she'll be home till Sunday or Monday so we'll have to wait and see.
It was a fabulous time and I enjoyed meeting everyone & hanging out together. We did the Maid of the Mist Tour together -- well kind of together -- two boats, but that's a long story. Dinner at Shoeless Joes, lunch at the Hark Rock, dancing till 2:30 Wed morning and closing the bar(which made for a tough ride home yesterday) but was well worth it.
I'm sure some small forgotten details will pop into my head and I'll post them, but I gotta run & get prepared for Hurricane Irene. My mother's house is in a beach community that will be evacuated today, but I'm in the center Nassau County on Long Island so the storm surge water should not be a problem, but the rain and the wind may be. Fingers crossed. :fear:

Thanks again, ladies (and Harold). Jesse and Harold (who is a hoot, btw) held their own very well! I had a great time and would do it again anytime, anywhere. :thumbsup:

Brooke
08-26-2011, 09:34 AM
Fabulous review once again Nancy! I felt like I was right there with you all! Wishing I was right there with you too! It sounds like it was another wonderful night. Very cool that you all were noticed again! Sweet of him to do that. I know it made your all's night.

I'm so glad he put Take It Easy back in. I must admit I was disappointed he had left it out the first night. It's just a staple that Glenn must always do and it's such a wonderful song and my all time favorite Eagles song. I also wish he would do a tour to promote his new album and come closer to me here in Missouri. :pray:

Now for the dvd-AWESOME! Please let it happen! This would be soooooo great! Just what I would love to see!

Can't wait to hear more from the rest of you "angels"! I consider you all angels that went this time! (Well, maybe not Harold! lol) Amazing! I hope Glenn realizes what loyal fans he has! True blue! :thumbsup:

Ive always been a dreamer
08-26-2011, 09:59 AM
Hey everyone - just wanted to check in. I arrived back home last night, and, as usual, very tired but VERY HAPPY!!!

Of course, those of you who hang around here know I have a lot to say, but, for now all I can do is say ...

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've got to work today, and, like HH, gotta get ready for Hurricane Irene. Hopefully, I'll be able to get back on to post more later today. For now, I'll just say that we had a blast!

sodascouts
08-26-2011, 10:09 AM
I got the impression that the DVD was pretty much a sure thing - it's the recording of the covers of various songs by folks like Buffalo Springfield and The Byrds that's in question. Maybe other guys in the band aren't convinced it's a good idea yet.

I'm super-excited about it, too!

Glad you guys enjoyed the review!

GlennLover
08-26-2011, 10:36 AM
HH, I'll be thinking of you & praying that you & your family get through the storm safely.

From what Glenn said I got the impression that the History of the Eagles DVD is a pretty sure thing. It's the covers of songs by the groups that came before them who they admire that might not happen. He said that he hopes it will. So do I!!!

There are couple of small things I remembered from the second night. During PEF he shouted out "who likes country music in Niagara Falls!". When he said that his mother made him take piano lessens from age 5 to 13 someone around me commented appreciatively-"thank God".

sodascouts
08-26-2011, 10:36 AM
Did you ladies get any pics together? We did, but I told everybody - no posting any photos of me unless I see them first!

So, on to the big question: you said he was having fun, but - was he flirting??:inlove:
Hey, when Glenn Frey turns on the charm, he becomes an irresistible force! ;) He had everybody eating out of the palm of his hand! Even the guys get charmed - moreso by his humor than any flirting, though, lol. Oh, and BTW, it helps that he's awesomely talented. lol

GlennLover
08-26-2011, 10:39 AM
LOL, Soda! You posted while I was typing up mine! At least we both had the same impression about the DVD being a sure thing!

GlennLover
08-26-2011, 10:53 AM
We did, but I told everybody - no posting any photos of me unless I see them first!

Hey, when Glenn Frey turns on the charm, he becomes an irresistible force! ;) He had everybody eating out of the palm of his hand! Even the guys get charmed - moreso by his humor than any flirting, though, lol.

He wasn't half way through the 1st song when Harold leaned over to me & said emphatically - "fantastic". That surprised me. He liked Glenn but, he now has a real appreciation of his great talent!

Brooke
08-26-2011, 11:16 AM
Guess what? I checked out my Buffalo Springfield cd and it has On The Way Home on it!! I'm listening to it right now! Great song! I can just hear Glenn singing it! :yay:

And yes, surely you all will share a group pic of you! It's a historic happening for The Border! An international meeting! Proof you all were really there!

Glennhoney
08-26-2011, 11:39 AM
THANK YOU, THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THE REVIEWS OF BOTH SHOWS AND FOR THE AWESOME NEWS OF THE SOLO CD,40TH ANNIVERSARY DVD AND POSSIBLE EAGLE CD..YOU DESERVE ALL THE RECOGNITION HE GAVE YOU...YOU GIRLS ROCK!!!! :thumbsup:...HOPE I GET TO ROCK WITH YOU SOMEDAY...

sodascouts
08-26-2011, 12:21 PM
Actually, it turns out we don't have a group photo with all of us together! We took one the first night before we met up with Kath, and the one we took at the falls is missing Ann because she wasn't feeling well that morning.

However, in response to pleas, I will post those two Nancy-approved photos for 24 hours only. Then, they're gone with the wind!

[Time's up! They're removed!]

luvthelighthouse
08-26-2011, 01:15 PM
You all look great! Those smiles you are all wearing show so much about the time you were having! I'm so happy everyone had a blast!

Koala
08-26-2011, 01:20 PM
Great pics!:thumbsup: You all look very happy!

Brooke
08-26-2011, 01:39 PM
Thank you! You all look fantastic and so happy!

And of course the falls are beautiful too!

Henley Honey
08-26-2011, 02:53 PM
HH, I'll be thinking of you & praying that you & your family get through the storm safely.

Thanks, GL
We are as prepared as we can be. Several family members had to evacuate their homes, including my mom, but I've got her with me and we are "hunkering down" as we speak. We will most likely lose power for several days so you won't see any posts from me. But if I remember any interesting "tid bits" of the concert, I'll post them when I'm back online.
Its kind of unprecedented in that NYC is shutting down all mass transit as of noon tomorrow -- buses, subways, railroads and airports. All bridges will be shut down when winds are sustained at 39 mph which is guaranteed with the size of this storm. Thank goodness I got to see Glenn!! If the storm happened last week and I could not get out to get to the Falls I would have been apoplectic!!!

Tori
08-26-2011, 02:59 PM
HH, hope you stay safe during the storm.

The concert sounded awesome! All the shout outs from Glenn, so cool! And the Eagles 40th anniversary news... can't wait for that DVD (and possible tour? Haven't seen the boys since about three years or so ago... :wink:)

sodascouts
08-26-2011, 03:16 PM
We are as prepared as we can be. Several family members had to evacuate their homes, including my mom, but I've got her with me and we are "hunkering down" as we speak. We will most likely lose power for several days so you won't see any posts from me. But if I remember any interesting "tid bits" of the concert, I'll post them when I'm back online.
Its kind of unprecedented in that NYC is shutting down all mass transit as of noon tomorrow -- buses, subways, railroads and airports. All bridges will be shut down when winds are sustained at 39 mph which is guaranteed with the size of this storm. Thank goodness I got to see Glenn!! If the storm happened last week and I could not get out to get to the Falls I would have been apoplectic!!!

Yes - thank goodness this is happening now and not a few days ago. Stay safe and you're in my prayers as well!

Perfect Little Sister
08-26-2011, 04:30 PM
Wow! What an experience!
I think one of the things that made the second night better was the joy in playing that was evident in the guys. Glenn and Danny would look at one another and you could see they were having a blast. It also probably helped that the audience was more lively the second night.

OK...Ok...it was also better being smack dab in the center. I got to see me some Al, Scott and Will who were all blocked to me by the piano first night. Even Michael was easier to see. (Btw when did Scott start wearing glasses? I'm much too young for him to start needing glasses lol) I also was only able to see Glenn's footwork the first night but was able to see the whole effect of his dancing this time. I might even have been guilty of screaming "ow!" when he was "getting down". :blush:

And Henley Honey I had your back and called out "we're 7!" when Glenn was saying 6 women. lol I was so happy to see the stage rush but unhappy that I was stuck in the center of the row with some people who had no intention of moving. Julie grabbed her purse and said something to the effect of should we. The man next to her realized his impending doom and jumped up out of the way as I grabbed my purse and hollered "GO!" I was kinda wedged in between two people pretty much at Glenn's feet but the women to the side of me gave ground as I started dancing. So I was able to edge up a bit closer to Lisa. The joy on her face when she looked over at me was priceless. I believe Mr. Frey was enjoying himself quite a bit as well. He had a big grin on his face when he stepped back from the mic that last time and said goodbye.

I was on such an emotional high that I was still in concert mode when we went the the 365 club (lounge?). The girl who was singing really wanted people on the dance floor but no one was getting up. She stepped off the stage and dragged one lady onto the dance floor and then came over and grabbed my hand and pulled me up. Luckily I have reached a point in my life (dare I say aged) that I no longer care what I look like. I love to dance so I do. If I look like a cow on roller skates...don't watch. Cuz I'm having fun! It might have had something to do with the liquid encouragement as well. I was lit enough to walk "home" barefoot in the rain. lol

I can't believe how much fun the trip was. Meeting everyone from all over the world was almost as wonderful as the concerts. Sorry guys...much as I love you all Mr. Frey gets just a tiny bit more love. lol He might not be John Wayne, he might not have an "S" on his chest, but I swear there must be an "I". The man is Incredible!

sodascouts
08-26-2011, 04:37 PM
He might not be John Wayne, he might not have an "S" on his chest, but I swear there must be an "I". The man is Incredible!

lol! And we know he's down with the cats if the play calls for it, even if he ain't into violence!

So do you think he still charges 25 grand, up front? ;)

(10 Frey Fan Points to you if you know where these references are from without peeking here:
http://www.glennfreyonline.com/solo/moviestv/miamivicevideo.htm )

Yeah, you got pretty smashed after the show PLS but hey, it's all good! I danced too and I wasn't drunk.

Seriously!

Perfect Little Sister
08-26-2011, 04:47 PM
Seriously!!

I was frey'd. lol

StephUK
08-26-2011, 04:47 PM
Good to see these - now I can put faces to names!(already know GA, of course) and I might recognise you if I see any of you at an Eagles show too. I'm hopeless at remembering names , but I remember faces quite well, so I might come up to you and say 'hey, are you a borderer?'

GlennLover
08-26-2011, 04:51 PM
Love the references from Miami Vice! I didn't peek. I know the script by heart (at least Glenn's part)!

Perfect Little Sister
08-26-2011, 05:04 PM
OK just sayin' I didn't approve these pics nanc.....

Luckily I've mellowed over the years. I've reached the point that people can look the other way if they don't like what they see. lol

Henley Honey
08-26-2011, 05:06 PM
Ditto. Could we ditch the Falls photo. Holy crap. We are drowned Rats.
Of all the pics to post. Yikes.

sodascouts
08-26-2011, 05:09 PM
Sorry guys. I hear ya. I'll take down the Falls photo. Shall I leave the other one up or does it go, too?

Perfect Little Sister
08-26-2011, 05:12 PM
Like I said...I no longer care what other people think.

To an extent anyway. lol

Besides...of course we looked like drowned rats in the second. We'd just come off the boat. And it was a blast!! Just sayin'...

Henley Honey
08-26-2011, 05:17 PM
And Henley Honey I had your back and called out "we're 7!" when Glenn was saying 6 women. lol I was so happy to see the stage rush but unhappy that I was stuck in the center of the row with some people who had no intention of moving.

Thanks, sista. It was one of those "oops -- did I really say that out loud" moments -- but Glenn was fine with it -- saying " OK 7 women" .
Thanks for having my back. I did feel a little like the odd-woman out.

I was on such an emotional high that I was still in concert mode when we went the the 365 club (lounge?). The girl who was singing really wanted people on the dance floor but no one was getting up. She stepped off the stage and dragged one lady onto the dance floor and then came over and grabbed my hand and pulled me up. Luckily I have reached a point in my life (dare I say aged) that I no longer care what I look like. I love to dance so I do. If I look like a cow on roller skates...don't watch. Cuz I'm having fun! It might have had something to do with the liquid encouragement as well. I was lit enough to walk "home" barefoot in the rain. lol

I'm glad you danced and had a great time. What's with the cow reference?? Lighten up!! You looked great!!! It was a fabulously fine time. Ready to go again??? I am.

I can't believe how much fun the trip was. Meeting everyone from all over the world was almost as wonderful as the concerts. Sorry guys...much as I love you all Mr. Frey gets just a tiny bit more love. lol He might not be John Wayne, he might not have an "S" on his chest, but I swear there must be an "I". The man is Incredible! ......

Henley Honey
08-26-2011, 05:19 PM
Sorry guys. I hear ya. I'll take down the Falls photo. Shall I leave the other one up or does it go, too?

I'm good with that one. My hair was fluffed!!!
Its all about the hair!!!

Perfect Little Sister
08-26-2011, 05:20 PM
well what could be more awkward that a cow on roller skates?

A giraffe doing a cart wheel?

Do you like that analogy better? lol

Perfect Little Sister
08-26-2011, 05:30 PM
Just a note...I'm listening to my ipod and wearing my niagara falls tshirt. My flight may have landed last night but I haven't yet. lol

My only regret was not being able to get a pick. I was hoping since we were down at the stage I might be able to reach a discarded one (i have rather long arms) or that I might be able to sweet talk Vic into one. But the mean old venue police kicked us out.

whitcap
08-26-2011, 05:41 PM
It sounds like the second night was a blast! I'm glad to hear everyone had a great time :)

When so many of us on Row 3 (all ladies) raised our hands, he joked there were “six women” who had come both nights. Someone – HH? – yelled “Seven” and he laughed and said “Yes, seven women.”

And I bet y'all were on his mind as he sang the second to last song ;)

Lisa
08-26-2011, 09:38 PM
What a week! Thanks for writing and sharing your descriptions of Glenn's performances at Niagara Falls this year.

EaglesFanatic
08-27-2011, 01:57 AM
Sounds like all of you had a fabulous time! Thanks for all of the great reviews everyone :)

Glennsallnighter
08-27-2011, 04:09 AM
Well I'm home about 20 hours and finally able to post my tuppence worth as regards Wednesday nights show. In terms of the overall show, there's very little I can add. I too like the others had felt going in that if Glenn :heart: was as good as Tuesday night, we'd be in for some treat..... but if such a thing is possible HE WAS BETTER!
He was definitely more relaxed, the funny stories and the jokes kept coming, and the interaction between him and Danny was really great to watch. He looked soooo hot in the casual outfit with his shirt hanging out of his jeans, but his smile was even hotter, and he showed it a LOT! I think he was pleased that his first show had been so well received and was all out to give the second show a BLAST! I was a little further to the left of Row 3 compared to the other girl, but, you know, I was RIGHT under the piano! And just felt Glenn :heart: was sooo close to me when he went over to sing SKOB and TOYL

Of course I like to think I was included in the 6/7 women after I raised me hand when he asked after PEF how many people had been there the previous night. And I think I was! I had brought the banner again, although I wasn't sure if I'd use it! Anyway, a little into TITTL he looked straight at me and gave me a wink :heart: ::inlove::thud:
So obviously that put me in 7th heaven and I thought, 'Well, he knows I'm here tonight as well'

Again, I was delighted he brought back SKOB and loved having LE in the earlier part of the show. I think the crowd too was much livelier. I loved the part in the middle where he did the 4 songs that will be on 'After Hours' While I loved the way he jitterbugged around in 'Route 66' the song for me in that section was 'The Shadow of Your Smile'. I loved its lyrics, and the way Glenn :heart: sang it..... suffice to say, I was transported to a different place completely. I felt like everything else in my life was completely blocked out, it was just me listening to him sing, and watching the passion in his face as he did so. Its hard to put in words. I was in tears by the time he finished. I cannot wait to hear it when the cd is released.

As I was at the edge of the row I WAS one of the people who moved quickly, and was right under Glenn :heart:'s feet for the encore. TIE was well........ what can you say about TIE that hasn't already been said.....? But to be hearing it, and standing less than 2 feet away..... man, it blew me away! As did 'I Hear You Knockin'. That song was going around in my head all the way home on Thursday/Freyday. he really rocked it out, joined in by all of us at the stage, and the whole audience behind us. As he finished I stretched out my hand (with a few others) and tried to shake his, but he had stepped back and it was not to be. Still I had no regrets. Like Nancy, I thought he might come out and do THIO but then the lights came up and that was it.

The security staff were hell bent on getting us out, but I was in no rush to leave. I just wanted to savour the atmosphere 'one more time', or for just a little longer. Austin, I took a pic of the pedals for you, and a few guitars, I tried to get the set list which was on the floor, but I was told to put the camera away, and they would not take it up for me. Unlike the previous night the techies were not as quick out to start clearing the stage. Suddenly there was only myself and another woman left, and she turned on the security guy saying how paranoid he was and that it was the most uptight venue she had ever been at. It looked like it could get a bit heated so i just said... 'hey.... he's only doing his job' to her. I got a grateful glance..... just as the guitar techie came out. I think the fact that I said that, he let me go over, and I asked for a pick. I know I got one the previous night, but I wanted one for Lou.

The other girl was leaving with me (She got one too - persistence pays off) and I said to her 'Would you mind going ahead of me?' With the result that I am proud to say that I was the LAST of the audience to leave the concert venue.

Inevitable as soon as I did get out I got a bit emotional (ok I was crying.... thanks for helping me there Dreamer) and couldn't face going into the bar where a different and louder band were playing, so I was glad when a few of us decided to go get something to eat afterwards.

I felt much better later, and rejoined the others. We stayed in the bar until after 2:30am, and BOY those screwdrivers went down sooooo easily.

All in all it has been a wonderful experience, travelling to Canada, meeting a wonderful group of people known as 'Borderers' and of course seeing my favourite all time singer putting up the best shows of his life. IMHO anyway. I sincerely hope I get the chance to do it all again sometime.

Thenk you soooo much Glenn :heart: :iloveyou::iloveyou::iloveyou::iloveyou::iloveyou: :iloveyou:. It was WONDERFUL

EaglesKiwi
08-27-2011, 06:36 AM
So, did you enjoy yourself, GA? Couldn't quite figure it out from your review...:nahnah: :hilarious::hilarious:

So glad you had a fantastic time, you deserved it flying all that way! :headbang:

Did you remember pressies for the kids?:worried:

Glennsallnighter
08-27-2011, 07:22 AM
Thanks EK! I did indeed have such a wonderful time!

And I did remember a few pressies, I got a fuchsia Niagara Falls bag for my daughter and a snow globe (she collects them). I got my son an inflatable 'Maid of the mist' boat, a pencil box and a little moose, both got t-shirts and candy as well.

Koala
08-27-2011, 09:32 AM
Glad you're safely back home! I'm so happy for you! Glad you had a fantastic time, thank you for sharing all your experiences with us!:)

WalshFan88
08-27-2011, 12:56 PM
Well I'm home about 20 hours and finally able to post my tuppence worth as regards Wednesday nights show. In terms of the overall show, there's very little I can add. I too like the others had felt going in that if Glenn :heart: was as good as Tuesday night, we'd be in for some treat..... but if such a thing is possible HE WAS BETTER!
He was definitely more relaxed, the funny stories and the jokes kept coming, and the interaction between him and Danny was really great to watch. He looked soooo hot in the casual outfit with his shirt hanging out of his jeans, but his smile was even hotter, and he showed it a LOT! I think he was pleased that his first show had been so well received and was all out to give the second show a BLAST! I was a little further to the left of Row 3 compared to the other girl, but, you know, I was RIGHT under the piano! And just felt Glenn :heart: was sooo close to me when he went over to sing SKOB and TOYL

Of course I like to think I was included in the 6/7 women after I raised me hand when he asked after PEF how many people had been there the previous night. And I think I was! I had brought the banner again, although I wasn't sure if I'd use it! Anyway, a little into TITTL he looked straight at me and gave me a wink :heart: ::inlove::thud:
So obviously that put me in 7th heaven and I thought, 'Well, he knows I'm here tonight as well'

Again, I was delighted he brought back SKOB and loved having LE in the earlier part of the show. I think the crowd too was much livelier. I loved the part in the middle where he did the 4 songs that will be on 'After Hours' While I loved the way he jitterbugged around in 'Route 66' the song for me in that section was 'The Shadow of Your Smile'. I loved its lyrics, and the way Glenn :heart: sang it..... suffice to say, I was transported to a different place completely. I felt like everything else in my life was completely blocked out, it was just me listening to him sing, and watching the passion in his face as he did so. Its hard to put in words. I was in tears by the time he finished. I cannot wait to hear it when the cd is released.

As I was at the edge of the row I WAS one of the people who moved quickly, and was right under Glenn :heart:'s feet for the encore. TIE was well........ what can you say about TIE that hasn't already been said.....? But to be hearing it, and standing less than 2 feet away..... man, it blew me away! As did 'I Hear You Knockin'. That song was going around in my head all the way home on Thursday/Freyday. he really rocked it out, joined in by all of us at the stage, and the whole audience behind us. As he finished I stretched out my hand (with a few others) and tried to shake his, but he had stepped back and it was not to be. Still I had no regrets. Like Nancy, I thought he might come out and do THIO but then the lights came up and that was it.

The security staff were hell bent on getting us out, but I was in no rush to leave. I just wanted to savour the atmosphere 'one more time', or for just a little longer. Austin, I took a pic of the pedals for you, and a few guitars, I tried to get the set list which was on the floor, but I was told to put the camera away, and they would not take it up for me. Unlike the previous night the techies were not as quick out to start clearing the stage. Suddenly there was only myself and another woman left, and she turned on the security guy saying how paranoid he was and that it was the most uptight venue she had ever been at. It looked like it could get a bit heated so i just said... 'hey.... he's only doing his job' to her. I got a grateful glance..... just as the guitar techie came out. I think the fact that I said that, he let me go over, and I asked for a pick. I know I got one the previous night, but I wanted one for Lou.

The other girl was leaving with me (She got one too - persistence pays off) and I said to her 'Would you mind going ahead of me?' With the result that I am proud to say that I was the LAST of the audience to leave the concert venue.

Inevitable as soon as I did get out I got a bit emotional (ok I was crying.... thanks for helping me there Dreamer) and couldn't face going into the bar where a different and louder band were playing, so I was glad when a few of us decided to go get something to eat afterwards.

I felt much better later, and rejoined the others. We stayed in the bar until after 2:30am, and BOY those screwdrivers went down sooooo easily.

All in all it has been a wonderful experience, travelling to Canada, meeting a wonderful group of people known as 'Borderers' and of course seeing my favourite all time singer putting up the best shows of his life. IMHO anyway. I sincerely hope I get the chance to do it all again sometime.

Thenk you soooo much Glenn :heart: :iloveyou::iloveyou::iloveyou::iloveyou::iloveyou: :iloveyou:. It was WONDERFUL

Glad everyone had a good time! And thanks for getting those pictures!!!! You know me and my guitar gear obsession. :hilarious:

08-27-2011, 01:28 PM
Well folks - I'm gonna have to try to make this quick because I don't know how long I'll have power. Hurricane Irene has reared her ugly head here. The winds and rain first came around 8:00 a.m. and it just keeps getting progressively worse. We won't get the worst of it until tonight so it may be a very long day and evening. Wow - an earthquake and hurricane here in Virginia all in one week is a little much. I was in Niagara Falls during the earthquake, but when I got home my computer monitor and telephone had been jarred off my desk and were in the floor - it is amazing that they were not damaged. Anyway, sorry to take this thread so off topic, but my neighbor just call to tell me she has lost power.

I'll just say for now that I had a wonderful time meeting old and new friends. And ...

Glenn Frey is awesome!!!

GlennLover
08-27-2011, 01:42 PM
Glad you didn't sustain any damage from the earthquake. My prayers are with you & all those that have to weather the hurricane! We will probably get the tail end of it here. We expect a lot of rain but don't expect it too be too severe. :pray:

Koala
08-27-2011, 01:54 PM
Good to hear that no damage is caused by the earthquake!

08-27-2011, 02:02 PM
Thanks GL and Koala - I appreciate your thoughts. I still have power so I managed to get a post in the "Weather" thread so that the focus of this awesome thread doesn't get taken too far off topic! :thumbsup:

VAisForEagleLovers
08-27-2011, 02:25 PM
Thank you for posting this recap and review. I so wanted to go to the show, but no vacation time! I got a front row seat for the first Las Vegas concert, a big splurge since it's my 50th birthday, and reading this review has made me look forward to it even more. And after dealing with an earthquake and now a hurricane, it was nice to have my mind taken somewhere else for a while. Again, thanks for the review!

Henley Honey
08-27-2011, 02:43 PM
I got a front row seat for the first Las Vegas concert

Me too!!!! We did the I Love All access. You? We'll have to meet up!

VAisForEagleLovers
08-27-2011, 03:09 PM
Me too!!!! We did the I Love All access. You? We'll have to meet up!

Heck no! I zoned through the ticket sales and so got a ticket on eBay for the equivalent of a mortgage payment. But, there's no other way I'd EVER look forward to my 50th birthday, so I know it'll be worth it! I can't wait!

Brooke
08-27-2011, 04:13 PM
Ga and dreamer, glad you all have made it home safely too. Stay safe dreamer.

Ga, your thoughts about the show nearly had me in tears. I'm so glad you got to go and had such a wonderful time. I'm sure your family is glad to have you back too.

Troubadour
08-27-2011, 08:22 PM
Wow, just wow!

Nancy, your review was so thorough and enthusiastic - I felt like I was right there with you. I am thrilled that you all got so much acknowledgement from Glenn (the fact that he recounted the Pebble Beach story is adorable!) and I am psyched about the new album and the potential DVD. The phrase "lots of interviews" got me excited.

It sounds like the shows were amazing. I love the fact that he changed it up on the second night, and that he did some cover songs. I love Buffalo Springfield, so to hear that he sang On The Way Home made me smile. Wish I could have heard it!

I am just so happy for all of you - particularly those who travelled a long way for these shows. I have been chatting to Lisa a lot, and I know how much this whole experience meant to her. I'm sure this is something none of you will forget.

Troubadour
08-27-2011, 08:23 PM
On a different note - thinking of those of you in Hurricane Irene's path. Please stay safe. :grouphug:

sodascouts
08-28-2011, 03:35 PM
Definitely unforgettable! The new semester starts tomorrow and it's very, very, very difficult to get back down to the grind.

And let me extend a nice big welcome to VAisForEagleLovers! Nice to have you!

VAisForEagleLovers
08-28-2011, 04:52 PM
Definitely unforgettable! The new semester starts tomorrow and it's very, very, very difficult to get back down to the grind.

And let me extend a nice big welcome to VAisForEagleLovers! Nice to have you!

Thank you! Nice to be here with fellow Eagles fans!

Prettymaid
08-28-2011, 06:45 PM
Soda, did you take an audio/recording device in with you? Otherwise it is crazy-scary how much you can remember!

GA, loved your take on the second show. How cool that you got a wink!

Dreamer, hope to hear more from you when things calm down. I had The Weather Channel on all day yesterday thinking of you and all the folks in the path of Irene.

Welcome VEL! You're going to love it here!

Troubadour
08-28-2011, 06:50 PM
Welcome from me too, VA! Good to have you here.

GlennLover
08-28-2011, 11:13 PM
Welcome, VA!

Koala
08-29-2011, 12:54 AM
Welcome from me too, VA!:)

Glennsallnighter
08-29-2011, 02:53 AM
Welcome from me too VA!

and I'm sure we know our fearless leader would NEVER bring a recording device into a venue where they were barred!

Mrs Frey
08-29-2011, 07:03 AM
Hi Everyone! I know I last visited The Border in April this year :shock:, and I'm sorry I've been so quiet, but I'm so busy these days that it's hard to keep up with everything. My full-time job, my musical career... :sigh: But I haven't forgotten any of you, and I'm thinking of you.

Before I run out of time again, I'd just like to say that I've managed to read Soda's review of Glenn's :heart: second show, as well as GA's, and some comments from the rest of you, and I am so happy for all of you who were able to attend Glenn's :heart: shows over the two nights. How I wish I could have shared the incredible experience with you all. I was certainly thinking of you on those nights. How amazing to have got the acknowledgement from Glenn :heart: that you did. What a true gentlemen and artist who appreciates his fans. I salute you, Glenn Frey!!!

Take care, everyone, and especially you, Dreamer, with the awful weather you have been experiencing. :grouphug:

TimothyBFan
08-29-2011, 08:10 AM
WOW-----Just WOW!!! I wasn't able to post all weekend but I kept checking in on my phone and reading the reviews, etc...

I am just so happy for all of you that the trip was a success for everyone, that you all got so much Glenn-tac, and that Glenn was so "on it"!!! So very cool that he acknowledged you both nights and was aware you were all there. He never seems to miss you, Nancy, and always seems to make sure you know that he knows you are there. I love that!!! What a guy!!

As for the new DVD..... OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! How exciting is that news?!?!? Cannot wait for more info on that and a preorder date, etc...

So much to look forward that is Eagely... 1 more cd from Don, a cd from Joe, a cd from Glenn, a new book in October and now a DVD and a possible anniversary tour. I'm all aquiver just thinking about it all!!! :hilarious:

Brooke
08-29-2011, 10:50 AM
I know! It's all just AWESOME!

Welcome Va! Glad you found us!

Freypower
08-29-2011, 08:52 PM
Thanks to everybody for their reviews here; Soda's review is excellent. It WAS a huge vibe. You may think if you've read my first show review that I have nothing left to add. Oh, but I do.

This time I was more in the centre (next to PLS, Soda & Dreamer) to his left; which I knew he would play to more often. I thought I might have a chance of getting some more recognition because I completely understood that the previous night he had to concentrate more.

When he came on and I saw he wasn't wearing a suit I thought 'was last night a one-off'? BUT: you all know how I also love him wearing a jacket and shirt combo with jeans? Well guess what. I even got that. The jacket was either grey or brown (he even had a badge in his lapel) & it had houndstooth trim on the cuffs. The blue & white shirt was similar to the one in my avatar. He wore black jeans. (He will have to resurrect the all black outfit now....).

The Pebble Beach dedication was so sweet! I hoped because I was next to them that he might make a connection; and indeed, when he asked who was there last night he said 'Row 3 - six women' and I was included in that. He said 'we played an eclectic setlist last night'. Could that possibly have been aimed at people who complain that he never changes his setlists?! :spin: If it was, good for him. And Some Kind Of Blue ADDED - seriously, did the man read my mind? That's all....

When he got up to do On The Way Home he was smiling because he knew that 'certain people' appeared to be expecting it. It was fantastic! Hearing him sing anything you don't know is wonderful but to hear & see it one more time; what a privilege. Of course he explained that he 'said to his bandmates' that they might do this so I even got some of his Eagles leadership stuff. Then it was You Are Not Alone.... sigh,sigh, sigh.

To be continued immediately.

Freypower
08-29-2011, 09:13 PM
Part 2

'This Is The New Stuff' (the line from Sledgehammer seemed so appropriate).

Again he was slow to start while I was literally squirming in my seat in anticipation. He talked more about the singers who had inspired him from Nat King Cole to Tony Bennett to Dinah Washington (he said she was his favourite female singer from the era). He said the songs ranged from the 20s to the 60s so it has occurred to me that perhaps the song After Hours may not in fact be included. But an ALBUM. Then he said something about 'we appreciate your indulgence and then we'll get back to the cowboy dream crap'. How extraordinary it is to see him standing at the mic looking down at the floor without a guitar.

And this is when it happened. I had to look up the lyrics of Route 66 to make sure I got the reference right. The VERY FIRST LINE of the song is 'well, if you ever plan to motor west'. He stood & pointed down at me, right at me, and he emphasised the word 'YOU' as he pointed. :bow: :stunned:

Oh man. He knew who I was. Technically I had flown east to see him but I flew to the West Coast of North America before going further east to Niagara Falls. A bit dicey, this reasoning perhaps: I have honestly spent the rest of the week trying to tell myself I could have been mistaken, but I don't think so. He sang that line to me & pointed to me, whether he knew who I was or not, and I will never forget it, particularly as he was only singing the song in public for the second time. :singer: :iloveyou:
It is all I have thought about since.

It went crazy after that. When he got to the 'jitterbug' part he spread his legs apart before he started dancing! Good grief! The man was born with charisma as someone once said. When he finished those of us in the now famous Row 3 gave him a standing ovation & he said 'thank you very much, I appreciate it'.

From there I sat in a daze while he sang. There was a lot more 'mic stand' stuff. First he cupped his hands around it. Then he decided to be more visible,, put his right hand on it & gripped it while he sang. It seemed the sound mix was better so he didn't have to do that 'finger on ear' stuff. At the end of The Look Of Love' he looked over to Richard & Will & conducted them to the end, very gently. He's a bandleader too, remember. He was just stunning. He can sing anything, anywhere, any time.

I got another nice moment later while he was waiting for a guitar. He gave me one of his characteristic grins with his mouth closed so I framed my fingers around his head in the shape of a heart.:heart: I think he got the message!

Soda talked about the 'Throat Tearers Anonymous' part where he said that he could sing the songs perfectly when he recorded them. So this was another wish granted; him talking about his singing. As for the sucking the lemon part, that was very funny & sweet. And we got a scream in Who's Been Sleeping In My Bed!!

At the end the most amazing thing happened. People rushed the stage. As you can imagine I positioned myself directly underneath him. It's the closest I've ever been to him in my life. I took a couple of photos but I won't be trying to load those until tomorrow. They look OK, that's all I will say.

I honestly have nothing to add at the moment; I am actually relieved to have it written down. I said it was exhilarating & emotional. It was even better than that. I can only thank him from the bottom of my heart for what he has done for me & I will always love him.

Glennhoney
08-29-2011, 09:23 PM
OH WOW....HOW VERY, VERY THRILLING FOR YOU....SO HAPPY FOR YOU....:)

sodascouts
08-30-2011, 11:24 AM
Thanks for dropping by, Monique!

FP - again, thanks for your review. I can't wait to see the photos!

Brooke
08-30-2011, 12:18 PM
FABULOUS Fp! Just FABULOUS! I'm so happy for you!

And yes, someone's been reading The Border and filling Glenn in, if he didn't read it all himself! :eyebrow:

sodascouts
08-30-2011, 02:45 PM
It's hard to say. We don't want to presume too much. He might do what Stevie Nicks does - she has assistants monitoring fan boards and giving her filtered information they think she might find interesting or useful such as "the fans like your red shawl." However, considering how we complained for two freaking years before the Eagles finally stopped performing in the almost universally fan-loathed conservative business suits, the degree of fan board influence is arguable. ;)

EaglesKiwi
08-30-2011, 03:13 PM
It's hard to say. We don't want to presume too much. He might do what Stevie Nicks does - she has assistants monitoring fan boards and giving her filtered information they think she might find interesting or useful such as "the fans like your red shawl." However, considering how we complained for two freaking years before the Eagles finally stopped performing in the almost universally fan-loathed conservative business suits, the degree of fan board influence is arguable. ;)
The suits were a wee while ago, though - they may not have been checking out sites back then... but could be/having it done now.

In a way I'd almost be more surprised if they didn't have somebody doing it - why would you ignore such a great source of information? Especially when you can do just a few small things (like changing your shirt colour... :hilarious:) and make so many people happy as a result?

FP, what an amazing experience for you. If you had written a wish list beforehand and sent it to Glenn I'm not sure if the concerts could have been any more perfect for you... :)

Freypower
08-30-2011, 10:00 PM
I feel that I should repeat that I loved the suits, wanted to see Glenn wear one, and did. Perhaps this is a minority opinion but I was very pleased that it happened, regardless.

GlennLover
08-30-2011, 11:48 PM
I feel that I should repeat that I loved the suits, wanted to see Glenn wear one, and did. Perhaps this is a minority opinion but I was very pleased that it happened, regardless.

I'm with you, FP. I'm so glad I got to see both the suit & the jeans! He looked so trim & sexy in the suit! Of course he was sexy in the jeans too. :inlove:

sodascouts
08-31-2011, 12:05 AM
He looked terrific both nights; handsome in the suit - HOT in the jeans. That's the difference for me. ;)

Glennsallnighter
08-31-2011, 02:35 AM
Oh he did indeed, he really looked and played his best both nights. I was sitting on seat 1 R3 over to the right on the first night, but the minute he came out in the suit I thought 'well there's another thing Julie can take off the wish list'

sodascouts
08-31-2011, 02:03 PM
I was pleased he changed it up as well - not only aurally but visually! It seems Glenn as a solo act is far more unpredictable than the Eagles!

Perfect Little Sister
09-01-2011, 02:37 PM
Changing around the set list surprised me. I'd not noticed him doing that in previous years. As for the outfit change. I am shallow enough to admit I love the shirt open at the throat.

He seemed to be having so much fun on the second night. Maybe he was just more relaxed having played the night before...I don't know. I enjoyed watching the interaction between Danny and Glenn. They seemed to be having a blast.

GlennLover
09-01-2011, 08:12 PM
Changing around the set list surprised me. I'd not noticed him doing that in previous years. As for the outfit change. I am shallow enough to admit I love the shirt open at the throat.

He seemed to be having so much fun on the second night. Maybe he was just more relaxed having played the night before...I don't know. I enjoyed watching the interaction between Danny and Glenn. They seemed to be having a blast.

Ahh, memories, memories! :smitten: I need more!!!

Troubadour
09-03-2011, 04:21 PM
Thanks so much for your write-up, too, FP - I am so happy for you! I can feel your energy and I can only imagine how excited you were to be that close to him.

I think it's wonderful that he changed up the set list and the outfits - I'd love to see the guys do that more. I guess a solo show must give him a certain degree of freedom that he doesn't get in an Eagles concert. Sounds like he was having a blast, too!

Glennsallnighter
09-03-2011, 08:26 PM
Ahh, memories, memories! :smitten: I need more!!!

Well here's a few for you Ann! Sadly none of Glenn :heart: himself, as we couldn't take any in the Casino. But I hope you like a few of these at least and that they will help bring back some of those memories of such a good time.

http://s161.photobucket.com/albums/t236/Irisheaglesfan/Niagara%20Falls%202011/

GlennLover
09-03-2011, 09:12 PM
Thanks so much, Lisa! Those are wonderful photos! Great memories! I' m really disappointed that I wasn't well enough to go down to the falls with you. Glad you got such good photos of the sign outside the Casino & the one of Glenn in the theatre lobby. Did you take any photos when we were at
lunch at the Hilton?

Freypower
09-03-2011, 11:13 PM
I have a photo of some of you at the Hilton but I would have to edit it unless Soda allows me to post it for a brief period. I have one at the Hard Rock Cafe but it's not a good shot of me.

sodascouts
09-04-2011, 12:26 AM
Just send it along to me FP!

Glennsallnighter
09-04-2011, 04:40 AM
Yeah, Ann, I really felt for you not being able to go our 'Sea Cruise'. But it was rather bumpy and we were rather rained on too, so as you weren't well I think you did the right thing. At least you were able to enjoy Glenn :heart:'s second concert. It would have been a shame to have been under the weather for that!

09-05-2011, 11:28 AM
Well, as I posted in the thread for the first show, I'm a little late to the party, but I wanted to make a few comments anyway. These shows were definitely a thrill for all of us, old and new. It was such a fun time meeting up with Borderers from so many parts of the world.

I was so happy when someone rushed the stage at this show because I definitely will never forget what a thrill it was for me to be so close to Glenn the first time that happened to me at Casino Rama. This time I went up there, but stayed back and let others get up closer since I've had my turn at that. As Glenn was singing Take It Easy, I caught a glimpse of Lisa (Glennsallnighter) standing right at Glenn's feet completely mesmerized as she stared into his eyes. That look of sheer joy on her face was priceless. It took me back to those moments I remember when I was in the very same place. For me, that was just a perfect ending to this awesome experience. It totally summed up how much this meant to so many of us who had made the trip. I hope Glenn could tell what joy he brought to so many folks those two nights. On some level, I think he must know.

I :heart: Glenn Frey!!!

sodascouts
09-05-2011, 07:27 PM
Sorry you didn't get to post your thoughts sooner, Dreamer, but at least this way you allowed us to revisit it once again! Ah, happy memories!

:inlove:

TimothyBFan
09-06-2011, 08:21 AM
As Glenn was singing Take It Easy, I caught a glimpse of Lisa (Glennsallnighter) standing right at Glenn's feet completely mesmerized as she stared into his eyes. That look of sheer joy on her face was priceless. It took me back to those moments I remember when I was in the very same place. For me, that was just a perfect ending to this awesome experience. It totally summed up how much this meant to so many of us who had made the trip. I hope Glenn could tell what joy he brought to so many folks those two nights. On some level, I think he must know.

Awwwww---So sweet!!!

Brooke
09-06-2011, 10:24 AM
I'm glad you also had a wonderful time dreamer!

Lisa, your pictures are great! Thanks for sharing them with us. Those of us that didn't get to go really appreciate it and helps us be a part. :thumbsup:

EasyFeeling
09-11-2011, 03:47 PM
Went through Lisa's pictures and they are great! She already told me on facebook she went to see Glenn... from Ireland, wow! I've already read a bit here but I guess I have to read the whole thread LOL Seems you all had great fun!

Glennsallnighter
06-15-2016, 05:29 PM
5 years to the date which gave me the means to do this trip an interesting little postscript. Remember I said my flight was delayed on my way to Chicago? Well a few months ago I came across a website offering compensation on flights that were delayed or cancelled. I applied for this flight. I didn't really expect anything but it was no win no fee. Imagine my surprise yesterday morning when I received a cheque for over €400 in compensation!!

A bittersweet finale to my Glenn :heart: adventures

Brooke
06-16-2016, 10:05 AM
Wow, good for you, Ga! :applause:

GlennLover
06-16-2016, 11:28 AM
5 years to the date which gave me the means to do this trip an interesting little postscript. Remember I said my flight was delayed on my way to Chicago? Well a few months ago I came across a website offering compensation on flights that were delayed or cancelled. I applied for this flight. I didn't really expect anything but it was no win no fee. Imagine my surprise yesterday morning when I received a cheque for over €400 in compensation!!

A bittersweet finale to my Glenn :heart: adventures

Bittersweet indeed, GA. That was such a wonderful weekend. So glad you received the compensation.

Glennsallnighter
10-10-2023, 09:03 AM
Just a note...I'm listening to my ipod and wearing my niagara falls tshirt. My flight may have landed last night but I haven't yet. lol

My only regret was not being able to get a pick. I was hoping since we were down at the stage I might be able to reach a discarded one (i have rather long arms) or that I might be able to sweet talk Vic into one. But the mean old venue police kicked us out.

Did you ever get a GF Pic Lissa?