PDA

View Full Version : Peter Stroud on Don's upcoming mini-tour?

WalshFan88
09-11-2011, 05:52 AM
I don't know where else to put this so I'll post it here.

I follow Peter Stroud on Twitter (he's one of my favorite guitarists actually and I've talked to him a time or two) and he just posted this yesterday:

Played a one-off last night w Don Henley. Heart Of The Matter always a treat...and breaking out a dbl neck on Hotel Cali. Good times.

Might he be Don's sideman guitarist for the upcoming run of shows? I hope so - he and Waddy Wachtel are my favorite session sideman guitarists and two of my favorite guitarists in general. How I envy him. :D

Although I doubt Don gets Frank Simes back with him again as Frank is Don Felder's guitarist in his band now. :hilarious: He and Peter did the Inside Job Don Henley tour and were on the DVD. I know Carlos Rios and Waddy Wachtel from Stevie Nicks' band have played with Henley in the past as well as Steuart Smith and Pete Thorn.

Judy
09-11-2011, 10:10 AM
Peter on the double neck? Isn't that Steuart's job? I'll kinda miss Frank if he's not there. I love to watch him play. I don't know if I've mentioned it before, but I have a recording of Everybody Wants to Rule the World & Frank has a broken guitar string, and he still played the hell out of that song. One of the best endings I've ever heard.

WalshFan88
09-11-2011, 10:44 AM
Peter on the double neck? Isn't that Steuart's job? I'll kinda miss Frank if he's not there. I love to watch him play. I don't know if I've mentioned it before, but I have a recording of Everybody Wants to Rule the World & Frank has a broken guitar string, and he still played the hell out of that song. One of the best endings I've ever heard.

He did say it was a one-off so maybe Stu was busy or something.

To be honest I'd kind of like to see Peter back with Don playing. As I stated, Peter is one of my favorite underrated guitar players and a good online friend (he's a guitar nerd like me and all about gear and co-owns a boutique amplifier company which makes great amps that I may be buying from soon). Frank is great too. Personally, I'd like to see Peter and Frank being the sidemen again like on the Inside Job DVD. I have nothing against Stu though and love his playing but Peter Stroud is my personal favorite session/sideman guitarist. Just a very humble down-to-earth guy who is very good to talk to. One of my more modern day heroes.

sodascouts
09-11-2011, 02:52 PM
Felder also got Jonathan Clark, the bass player, from Glenn's touring band. Guess he knows where to mine talent. ;)

I'd actually like to see Stroud as well. Both Stu and Simes are very talented, but variety is the spice of life!

StephUK
09-11-2011, 07:59 PM
I'd like to hear Peter Thorn playing with Don again as he was for the shows that I went to in 2009. He did a great job on the guitar then and it has to be said, some ladies here thought he was 'hot'. :faint:(I didn't notice of course, as I only had eyes for one person during those shows!:smitten:)

sodascouts
09-11-2011, 09:46 PM
I remember him! Yeah, he was good.

WalshFan88
09-11-2011, 10:09 PM
I think Peter Stroud is probably the best modern sideman out there IMO.

Also, on a somewhat unrelated note, one of the biggest reasons I like Peter Stroud other than his guitar playing is the fact he is probably one of the most humble nicest guys in the business that I know. There is no "rockstar attitude" with him. He talks and acts like an "Ordinary Average Guy" and is a nerd like me when it comes to guitar gear. He's always tweeting about his latest pedalboard addition or guitar. Just today he tweeted about vintage Fender amps. I of course reply to most of them and I've talked to him once online and he has responded to my tweets a couple of times. Super nice guy. Co-owns the 65amps amplifier company as I mentioned. They make great amps that Joe Walsh, Don Felder, and Steuart Smith all use. I'm going to get one next year. There are interviews with Stroud on YouTube and he always comes across humble.

sodascouts
09-11-2011, 10:24 PM
I can't speak to their personalities and I'm not a guitar expert, but I enjoy Stroud more than Thorn, too. As you said, Austin, Thorn is good - just not as good as Stroud.

WalshFan88
09-11-2011, 10:32 PM
I can't speak to their personalities and I'm not a guitar expert, but I enjoy Stroud more than Thorn, too. As you said, Austin, Thorn is good - just not as good as Stroud.

Stroud has played with some of my favorites. Sheryl Crow, Stevie Nicks, Don Henley, etc. Lately he's been playing for Sarah McLachlan.

Speaking of Stroud - he's got a new band of his own coming out called "Big Hat" and their demo tracks sound killer. Very Southern Rock if you are into that kind of thing. Very Skynyrd-y.

sodascouts
09-12-2011, 11:22 AM
Have you thought about asking Stroud via Twitter whether he's playing with Don for this upcoming tour? Nothing like getting it straight from the horse's mouth!

WalshFan88
09-12-2011, 12:02 PM
Have you thought about asking Stroud via Twitter whether he's playing with Don for this upcoming tour? Nothing like getting it straight from the horse's mouth!

Yeah I'm going to. :) I just didn't know if he would or could say or not but I will ask him. I just talked to him yesterday on there about guitars. He's pretty good about responding to tweets.

StephUK
09-12-2011, 01:51 PM
Yes, I liked Peter Stroud's playing on the Inside Job DVD - so I'd be pleased to see him back too. I admit I find Peter Thorn a little, how can I put it, 'rock-star-like' when he's talking, but he played good for Don in 2009 so either of the Peters playing with Don is OK with me. Steuart played in 2009 as well as Peter Thorn, so I expect he will be there this time too.
Not long to wait to find out!! Who's going to the first show & can let us know the band line up?