PDA

View Full Version : What Eagles songs best exhibit Don's drumming skills?

sodascouts
09-27-2011, 02:48 PM
We were talking about Don as a drummer in another thread. Despite the fact that I prefer some other drummers to Don, I also think he is very good and often underrated (even by himself). I figure we could talk here about songs where his drumming stands out.

One example is "Desperado"; I like the arrangement of the drum track there and the way it's initially absent, then comes in with the "feet get cold in the wintertime" part and amps up the drama of the song, taking it from there. You don't have to be banging away to drum well. Many times "understated" is appropriate.

What other songs demonstrate Don's talents as a drummer?

WalshFan88
09-27-2011, 03:10 PM
Hmm. I'll have to think about this and do some listening but the one that comes to me right away is.....wait for it.... Hotel California! Just the way he keeps that beat and doesn't lose it while he's singing a long song. Having to remember the lyrics AND drum and keep the rhythm tight at the same time AND having to sing while keeping your arms and legs going is very tough. So with that said, I think Hotel California is his best "drumming song". And I'm not being biased to that song. I think just the combination of singing a long song with lots of lyrics while keeping the rhythm going and not missing a beat is very tough and I think he really shines at doing that, most notably on Hotel California. There ya go. :D

VAisForEagleLovers
09-27-2011, 03:18 PM
I pick Life in the Fast Lane for all the same reasons Austin picked HC! There are songs where the drums are a good accompaniment to the guitars and there are songs where the drums move the song. LITFL has amazing guitars, but the drums drive the song in my opinion.

Brooke
09-27-2011, 04:00 PM
I would say either HC or LITFL are both great examples of Don's best drumming and singing at the same time. How he does it, I can't imagine. I think Don is a great drummer as well as singer, just not as flamboyant as some others.

Tori
09-27-2011, 04:10 PM
I would definitely say Hotel California for this one. How he can sing and play at the same time, I don't know... but he's sure good at it. Plus, I've always loved the way the drums are played on the song.
I'd also say LITFL because the drums in the intro combined with Joe's famous riff really start the song with a bang and keep the energy going through the whole song. (Does this make me sound like a music expert? Because I'm really not. :P)

Scarlet Sun
09-27-2011, 05:02 PM
Desperado (reprise), Peaceful Easy Feeling, One Of These Nights, Witchy Woman

Freypower
09-27-2011, 06:20 PM
Henley is an extremely underrated drummer and I wish he would play drums on ALL Eagles songs they do live (with the possible exception of the acoustic songs). However, I don't have the skills to explain why I think the drumming on particular tracks is good or not because I know nothing about drumming.

Hotel California & Life In The Fast Lane stand out. I have always liked his work on Pretty Maids All In A Row (watch the HFO version) and also Heartache Tonight & King Of Hollywood.

Of course we don't know on which tracks he plays drums on LROOE, which I find frustrating, because I would like to know.

He only plays drums on 5 solos songs. They are I Can't Stand Still, Long Way Home, Them & Us, Lilah & Love Rules. Of these the standouts for me are ICSS & Love Rules.

Maleah
09-27-2011, 10:30 PM
I hate to not contribute anything "new" to the convo lol, but I'd have to agree with Life in the Fast Lane, One of these Nights, and Hotel California. LITFL has such a driving beat, that the drums are a HUGE part of that song, imo. I think I noticed it even more live. Same with One of These Nights.....I noticed live how impossible I thought it would be to keep up the rhythm that he does on the cymbals. lol HC has such an unusual beat (to ME at least lol) that I can't imagine HOW in the world he plays that while singing. I think I'd probably throw James Dean in there as well.

VAisForEagleLovers
09-27-2011, 10:50 PM
Some of the others mentioned I think showcase the arrangement of the songs. The drums add a lot to the songs without necessarily needing a lot of talent to play. But it is a skill, a very important one and probably more important than actually playing. IMO the ability to arrange a song is the most overlooked factor. Lyrics and the playing of guitars, keyboards, and drums are always talked about, but it's how all the pieces come together that puts the Eagles heads and shoulders above other bands. So it irritates me to hear critics say that Don isn't really that good of a drummer. There's a lot more to it than sitting there with sticks and beating on things the entire way through every song.

Peekaboo
09-28-2011, 12:33 AM
I've said many times before that I'm not musically inclined whatsoever so all of the technicalities of guitar work, drumming, etc. are lost on me. I just know what I hear and when it's the Eagles playing I like it a whole lot.

The first song that immediately came to mind was HC. I think Don's drumming on the album version is great but when I first saw and heard it performed live was when I really noticed the drums, especially toward the end of the song when Joe and Stu are cranking it up on those guitar solos. The drums really add to the intensity of this song. I could be wrong but it seems like Don adds a little more to it towards the end of the song now days than on the album version.

I wish I had gotten the full song here at last years concert in Wichita but I'll take what I can get.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1QrJSevRao&feature=channel_video_title

Henleyfan
09-28-2011, 02:58 AM
I have to agree with everyone who has posted so far. I think the two songs that best demonstrate Don's drumming are Hotel California and Life in the Fast Lane. Of course I also agree with Heartache Tonight and One of These Nights.

Prettymaid
09-28-2011, 07:09 AM
I'll have to try to listen to some songs and think about this. I really love that classic part in HC just after ' But they just can't kill the beast'. Great sound!

Troubadour
09-28-2011, 07:13 AM
I always love watching him drum during One Of These Nights.

I also LOVE the beat of I Can't Tell You Why. It's mellow and rhythmic and exhibits skill, even if he's not bashing the drums at lightning speed! That moment in HFO towards the end of the song where he sort of wrinkles up his nose and gives Felder a "yeah, we're in the groove and I'm enjoying it" kind of look is so sweet.

TimothyBFan
09-28-2011, 09:00 AM
Really have nothing to add except this.... being completely shallow here...My opinion is One Of These Nights because just how anyone can sound so freakin' sexy and still play drums like that is beyond me!

Freypower
09-28-2011, 06:36 PM
I always love watching him drum during One Of These Nights.

I also LOVE the beat of I Can't Tell You Why. It's mellow and rhythmic and exhibits skill, even if he's not bashing the drums at lightning speed! That moment in HFO towards the end of the song where he sort of wrinkles up his nose and gives Felder a "yeah, we're in the groove and I'm enjoying it" kind of look is so sweet.

I agree about ICTYW. He seems to really enjoy playing that song.

Re LITFL, it's a shame he no longer plays drums on it live.

Nobody has mentioned LBG, where he didn't even play on the record (also RMW, of course, but again he no longer plays drums on RMW). I think he does a great job during LBG. There's a lot of light & shade in the song & I would think he has to concentrate (especially if Joe changes things around)!

EagleLady
09-28-2011, 06:52 PM
One of these Nights

sodascouts
09-28-2011, 06:54 PM
All of these are great. I especially love the bit during Hotel California that was mentioned above. It really adds a lot!

Ive always been a dreamer
09-28-2011, 07:21 PM
Wow - good topic, Soda. I haven't had a chance to really think about this, but I agree about HC and LITFL. I would also be inclined to add Wasted Time, The Long Run, and Already Gone to my list.

EaglesKiwi
09-29-2011, 03:58 AM
On my Christchurch bootleg there's one of Joe's songs where he seems to be having so much fun... I can't remember what it is (Funk 49??), will have to watch in the morning!

EaglesKiwi
10-01-2011, 04:47 AM
On my Christchurch bootleg there's one of Joe's songs where he seems to be having so much fun... I can't remember what it is (Funk 49??), will have to watch in the morning!
Yep, it's Funk 49 :)

Not being musical I can't really comment on Don's technical proficiency, but this is a must-watch track to see him rocking out. :drummer:

Judy
10-04-2011, 12:28 AM
I have to agree with everyone on HC. I was air drumming to the last part. I always do. Even when I'm watching it on YouTube. It's cool that he goes over to the bongos in the solo show, but I have to admit, I was listening to Scott at that point Saturday night.

I have to say that I enjoyed when they showed him drumming on every song on HFO. He showed a lot of expression and drum attitude and they showed it.

Henleyfan
10-04-2011, 09:31 PM
I have to agree with everyone who has posted so far. I think the two songs that best demonstrate Don's drumming are Hotel California and Life in the Fast Lane. Of course I also agree with Heartache Tonight and One of These Nights.

After I posted the above I went back and listened to more songs and I think Victim of Love and Witchy Woman also demostrate Don's drumming skills.

thelongrun
10-25-2011, 05:49 PM
HC, OOTN, LITFL, TL Run:thumbsup:

Shadowland07
10-25-2011, 11:03 PM
I'd have to say...One of These Nights, Too Many Hands, New Kid In Town (especially the drum fills at the end), def. Victim of Love, any song off On the Border :)

SteveJoburg
05-11-2012, 09:42 AM
Henley is an extremely underrated drummer and I wish he would play drums on ALL Eagles songs they do live (with the possible exception of the acoustic songs). However, I don't have the skills to explain why I think the drumming on particular tracks is good or not because I know nothing about drumming.

Hotel California & Life In The Fast Lane stand out. I have always liked his work on Pretty Maids All In A Row (watch the HFO version) and also Heartache Tonight & King Of Hollywood.

Of course we don't know on which tracks he plays drums on LROOE, which I find frustrating, because I would like to know.

He only plays drums on 5 solos songs. They are I Can't Stand Still, Long Way Home, Them & Us, Lilah & Love Rules. Of these the standouts for me are ICSS & Love Rules.

Have to agree with the above. Two comments I would add about Don are that firstly he is one of the least flashy drummers I've ever seen, but metronome perfect... Secondly, the fact that he is happy to move over to percussion and let others carry the song shows an integrity and humility many other artists could learn from. I feel he knows what works for the song, and if he believes another muso would do a better job than he, be it on drums, vocals, guitar, whatever, he puts the song and the music first...

sodascouts
05-11-2012, 07:34 PM
I think Don is more than happy to hand off drumming duties - I don't think he enjoys drumming very much anymore. It's hard on his back. Still, when he does choose to do it, he does it well.

ktdids
12-04-2013, 01:41 AM
[QUOTE=sodascouts;181837]I think Don is more than happy to hand off drumming duties - I don't think he enjoys drumming very much anymore. It's hard on his back. Still, when he does choose to do it, he does it well.[/QUO

Came across this thread because I'm home and bored by what's on TV, and I just finished transferring the Madison Square Garden videos I took to DVD, and I got Don drumming on the brain syndrome.

I also wonder why he downplays his drumming skills when the subject comes up in interviews. He has said in a drumming magazine interview that he doesn't enjoy drumming as much because of his back problems. I was amazed that he played drums as much as he did at the MSG concerts, my only reference to a full length show being Farewell I and he seemed to switch off to percussion more during that show, but he really got into it during OOTN!
As for songs that show off his skills, to go with HC and LITFL someone mentioned Too Many Hands and King of Hollywood, and I would add Those Shoes.

thelastresort
12-04-2013, 06:41 AM
I have to be totally honest here, he isn't the best drummer in the world; but to sing like he does and play drums is something quite special. Whether it's the high notes on OOTN or the verses of HC he's got an amazing ability there. Like someone else mentioned I really wish he still did drums 95% of the time like he did in the 1970s, but if it gives him back trouble then fair play if he doesn't want to, there's a vid of him performing HC on guitar (with what looks like a very simplified rhythm!) a few years ago which I assume is because his back was bad. Other songs which really demonstrate decent drumming (with or without lead vocals) are Witchy Woman, Out of Control, Hollywood Waltz (ending), and LITFL. The only thing that I guess annoys me slightly was on a vid of them back in HC era performing Walk Away. The original has a very complex and open drumbeat, and Don just did snare-hi hat for all of it, just sounded a bit wrong IMO.

Out of interest, does anybody know if Glenn's lacking of piano / keyboard playing is for similar reasons or does he just prefer to stick to guitar?

Brooke
12-04-2013, 11:14 AM
Out of interest, does anybody know if Glenn's lacking of piano / keyboard playing is for similar reasons or does he just prefer to stick to guitar?

Maybe his arthritis makes it harder to play these days. He always has one of his hands wrapped, which I assume, is because of that. Just speculating.

Ive always been a dreamer
12-04-2013, 11:33 PM
I reread this thread, and one song that doesn't get a lot of mention to my surprise is Heartache Tonight. I just love the drums in this song.

VAisForEagleLovers
12-05-2013, 12:57 AM
Also, LBG! Joe gets the attention on this song, and it's hard to look away from him, but next time you see these guys in concert, watch Don on drums.

Tiffanny Twisted
12-05-2013, 08:56 PM
I didn't realize that anything he did wasn't great?
supurb drummer :love:

Brooke
12-06-2013, 10:33 AM
I think he's fantastic at it and to sing while drumming? Yikes!

shunlvswx
12-06-2013, 10:53 AM
Also, LBG! Joe gets the attention on this song, and it's hard to look away from him, but next time you see these guys in concert, watch Don on drums.

I agree, VA. Don sets the stage for LBG so Joe get into his solo in the beginning. I love his drumming in this song. There are a few songs I just don't see Don not drumming on if he completely stop drumming(WIth the Eagles of course. I know he doesn't be behind the drums when he's doing his solo shows). LBG, OFTN, HC, and ICTYW.

HenleyFan1971
12-06-2013, 11:45 AM
I love his drumming but didn't he have knee surgery/issues a few years ago if so I would not drum as much to save that knee there is a lot of pain with knees since I am having a issue with that right now my self my favorite drumming is One of these night and Hotel California basically any thing he drums on lol

Freypower
12-06-2013, 05:13 PM
I agree, VA. Don sets the stage for LBG so Joe get into his solo in the beginning. I love his drumming in this song. There are a few songs I just don't see Don not drumming on if he completely stop drumming(WIth the Eagles of course. I know he doesn't be behind the drums when he's doing his solo shows). LBG, OFTN, HC, and ICTYW.

He no longer drums on Heartache Tonight, Life In The Fast Lane or Rocky Mountain Way.

What is unusual is that he is making up for this due to the inclusion of Doolin-Dalton etc, & also now Tequila Sunrise, a song on which he had not played drums since the 1970s.

In HOTE he talks about the set of red Slingerland drums he was given which he still owns & I was wondering if that is the set he uses at the start of the show in Witchy Woman. I would have thought he wouldn't want to risk it & would be using something similar.

shunlvswx
12-06-2013, 05:26 PM
You know something, FP. I wonder that too if those his first set of drums he ever own or bought.

Its a shame he doesn't play the drums on those songs you posted. He does a good job drumming on those songs. I really enjoy seeing him having fun out front with LITFL and seen him jumped with Joe on the different clips on Youtube. It seems that song is getting blocked now when its posted.

I want to rephrase my statement. The songs I put down. I was saying it would be so weird to not see Don play the drums on those songs if he does one day completely stop playing the drums in concert and just play with the guitar and up front with all the guys.

Brooke
12-06-2013, 05:27 PM
In HOTE he talks about the set of red Slingerland drums he was given which he still owns & I was wondering if that is the set he uses at the start of the show in Witchy Woman. I would have thought he wouldn't want to risk it & would be using something similar.

I wondered about that too! It would be cool if it were, but I could understand not risking getting them damaged.

shunlvswx
12-06-2013, 05:32 PM
It was cool that Don still have drums for 50 something years ago. They might have a little damage or some wears and tears.

Freypower
12-06-2013, 06:00 PM
You know something, FP. I wonder that too if those his first set of drums he ever own or bought.

Its a shame he doesn't play the drums on those songs you posted. He does a good job drumming on those songs. I really enjoy seeing him having fun out front with LITFL and seen him jumped with Joe on the different clips on Youtube. It seems that song is getting blocked now when its posted.

I want to rephrase my statement. The songs I put down. I was saying it would be so weird to not see Don play the drums on those songs if he does one day completely stop playing the drums in concert and just play with the guitar and up front with all the guys.

I know what you meant. If he were to stop drumming entirely while the Eagles still exist, that would just be wrong, in my opinion.

shunlvswx
12-06-2013, 06:11 PM
I know, FP. I love Scott and he's a great drummer, but those songs is just. I don't know. Its something about those songs Don should always play the drums. Its like. I can't think of what I'm trying to say. I guess we are so use to see him playing and singing at the same with the song he sings, the big ones like HC, OFTN, and ICTYW. OK. I'm lost with what I want to say. LOL

sodascouts
12-06-2013, 09:17 PM
If Don has to stop drumming for health reasons, I understand. However, as long as he is able, I hope he never gives up drumming entirely.

thelastresort
12-07-2013, 12:07 PM
Another decent one for Don's drumming is On the Border, some cracking bits of skill in that. Shame they've never done it live!

Whilst I do think the Eagles play slightly better today then they did back in the first Eagles era, I really do miss them all moving about on stage between piano / guitar etc. Seeing six guitarists doing Take It to the Limit is just odd in my opinion.

ktdids
12-07-2013, 10:05 PM
It must be a coincidence, but I'm catching all kinds of drum related things today on TV. Saw the last few minutes of Drumline with the drumline drum off, and seeing the bass drummers lay down to beat the drums above them made me think of Don in the studio banging out the beat for Heartache Tonight on the floor of the studio because his back was out. He was determined to get that big bass drum beat JUST right for the song.
Yeah, making The Long Run WAS excruciating for him in more ways than one I suppose.

sodascouts
12-07-2013, 10:06 PM
I had forgotten that story, ktdids. Wow, you have to admire that kind of dedication to his craft.

Houston Debutante
12-10-2013, 05:19 PM
Please God never let Don Henley be unable to drum!

I think his drumming adds a lot to the song Hotel California but he has never been a showy drummer ~ he gets the job done and he does it well but he doesn't draw attention to himself usually.

That story about him playing laying on the floor really makes me admire Don even more, he is amazing.

shunlvswx
12-11-2013, 01:31 PM
You know. I don't mind that Don is not fancy or showy with his drumming like a lot of drummers do, but have to remember. Majority of drummers do not sing. Heck him drumming and singing at the same without missing a beat fascinates me. I know I can't do that.

Houston Debutante
12-11-2013, 02:17 PM
It must be so difficult yet he does it flawlessly, it's really amazing.

WS82Classics
10-09-2016, 05:44 PM
"Journey of the Sorcerer," "New Kid in Town," "Victim of Love," "The Long Run," "The Disco Strangler," and "Heartache Tonight."

LovinGlennGirl
10-09-2016, 08:16 PM
I agree with all the above, and I can "dashboard" drum right along with Don for Hotel California.

One not mentioned too much that I love is the drum riff at the end of New Kid in Town. LOVE LOVE LOVE

Jonny Come Lately
10-10-2016, 05:59 PM
From the Eagles studio albums, a few favourites that immediately spring to my mind are:

Witchy Woman (original, but I also loved his drumming on the HOTE version)
Doolin-Dalton/Desperado Reprise (absolutely love his parts on the outro)
One Of These Nights
Hollywood Waltz
Hotel California
Life In The Fast Lane
Pretty Maids All In A Row
Those Shoes

These aren't the only ones, but they were the first I thought of. Although not so much for his drums, I really like the tablas-style percussion he does in the middle part of Too Many Hands - I was listening to this a couple of days ago. Hotel California is special to me as it's the only song I've seen him play percussion on live, although I nominated on account of the great drumming on the original.

I'm not really enough of an expert to judge drummers on a technical basis. I can tell that guys like John Bonham, Ginger Baker or Neil Peart from Rush are/were clearly great drummers, but beyond that I simply judge it on. While Don himself will admit he isn't the most technically gifted drummer out there, I don't think he was a weak link for the band. I think he has always had a good feel for what each song requires and he has played quite a few different styles successfully. IIRC I read that the drum sound on the Eagles albums (not necessarily the playing, but the actual sound) was seen as being a gold standard back in the day.

thelastresort
10-10-2016, 06:34 PM
While Don himself will admit he isn't the most technically gifted drummer out there, I don't think he was a weak link for the band.

Controversial opinion time - on very rare occasions he was. Listen to Walk Away from Houston '76 and compare that to how Jim Fox played it in the James Gang. Different arrangements granted but Don's trusted hi-hat and snare combination sounds so out of place. Presumably it got better when Joe Vitale joined for The Long Run tour and it did when Scott Craigo primarily took over from '94 onwards, as both were more open and fluid drummers who fitted the style a lot better, and that allowed Don to move onto percussion and fill the song out a bit more.

You can't take away Don's drumming on Eagles originals mind. In addition to those mentioned already, his drumming during 'It's like going to confession...' in Get Over It is very impressive. I think it is Don who played that in the studio and not Scott.