PDA

View Full Version : Press and Discussion about Felder's New Album "Road to Forever"

Pages : [1] 2

sodascouts
10-11-2011, 03:56 AM
It looks like this thing might finally be coming to fruition!

http://www.ascap.com/playback/2011/09/action/Don-Felder.aspx

WalshFan88
10-11-2011, 04:58 AM
Nice!!!!

You know it's a coincidence because this last week I've been really focusing on Felder's guitar playing. I've always been a pretty big fan of his but I really have found a new appreciation for his playing. I've been listening to his solos and how he complimented Walsh and vice versa. I love his solo in "One Of These Nights" especially as well as Hotel California of course. ;) Also his solo in "Already Gone" is great. I miss having him in the Eagles. :( But I really am looking forward to the solo album. Unfortunately the only solo show Don has done in this area was a private club event and I couldn't go. I really wish he would play a public show - I'd love to go see him play and perhaps meet him and get his autograph and perhaps ask him some guitar questions. :hilarious: But it seems like lately I've been appreciating his skill a lot more in the Eagles than I use to. He's a god, just like Walsh. Both of them together were mindblowing. I watch DVD's like Houston '76 or Christchurch or HFO and it just blows my mind. Talk about great work!

Topkat
11-02-2011, 10:06 AM
Is Don Felder's new album out yet? I am just getting into his solo work, as he is the one former Eagle that I miss the most. I loved him playing with Walsh. Seems like he is doing great & I was wondering about the cd, as you really don't hear much about him these days.

whitcap
11-02-2011, 07:20 PM
It's not out yet. I check his FB and stuff often to see if any new news about it comes up. There isn't a title or release date out yet but it'll probably be out sometime next year.

sodascouts
11-02-2011, 07:37 PM
I wonder what the hold up is? He's been talking about it since 2007!

WalshFan88
01-02-2012, 06:32 PM
Here's an interview with the engineer who is doing Felder's record. He talks about it some along with Felder writing Hotel California here:

http://www.sonicscoop.com/2012/01/01/cross-country-view-ed-cherney-on-l-a-nyc-and-career-quality-control/

Freypower
01-02-2012, 06:56 PM
'He wrote Hotel California for God's sake'.

He wrote the MUSIC for Hotel California, or some of it.

'He's been making music for thirty some odd years'.

Since he was fired, he has yet to produce any new music at all. In the 14 year period before the Eagles reformed, he made one album.

Don't get me wrong; I wish Felder success, but let's have some accuracy.

Ive always been a dreamer
01-04-2012, 04:16 PM
BTW - I meant to mention this yesterday, but forgot to. I also wish Don much success with this album. I hope it goes very well for him.

sodascouts
01-05-2012, 05:44 PM
Glad to hear Felder's album is finally moving towards completion. He's been talking about it for four years now, but like his compatriots from his former band, he's taken his time actually getting it out! The song I heard him play from it at a concert in 2009 was called "Over You," and it was very good. If it's indicative of the rest of the album's quality, I'll be buying it.

Heck, who am I kidding? I'll be buying it no matter what. The man was an Eagle and I am a completionist.

sodascouts
01-17-2012, 02:53 AM
Up late and sifting through old Google alerts, I found this video. Felder has just stated that his album will be released in the second quarter of 2012. He says it around 2:25 here (also posted in his video thread):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JxZznjxHTCk

Additionally, the album is discussed a bit here (http://www.sonicscoop.com/2012/01/01/cross-country-view-ed-cherney-on-l-a-nyc-and-career-quality-control/).

01-17-2012, 04:57 PM
Will be very interesting to see how the album is promoted. Again, I wish him much success with it.

whitcap
01-31-2012, 10:47 PM
Up late and sifting through old Google alerts, I found this video. Felder has just stated that his album will be released in the second quarter of 2012. He says it around 2:25 here (also posted in his video thread):

Early in the second quarter? So it sounds like we can expect this album around April. Sweet! I personally can't wait for this album. I love Airborne and I suspect this album will be better :)

Freypower
02-01-2012, 05:50 PM
OK; I have a question. How many Borderers will buy this album?

I have very mixed feelings about Felder, but I am going to put them aside & give him a chance at least. I note whitcap's comment on Airborne. I regard Airborne as a contractual oblligation album which doesn't really show Felder at his best except on a couple of songs. This is particularly true of his singing. I have no idea what his singing is like now, but I will try it.

sodascouts
02-01-2012, 07:28 PM
As I said before, I know I'll be buying it. I liked "Over You" which he played at the solo show I went to a couple years ago. I hope the album has more songs along those lines. I'm not a big fan of the style of music on Airborne. Part of that may be because I listened to it for the first time in 2007, and its 80s sound has not aged well IMHO.

chaim
02-02-2012, 06:36 AM
I'm sure I will buy it at some point, but it's not on top of my "must buy" list.

Topkat
02-02-2012, 04:11 PM
I think I will be buying this...Looking forward to seeing what Don's been up to

02-02-2012, 07:59 PM
Haven't made up my mind yet. I'll probably wait to hear what others have to say about it first. I have to admit, I am not a fan of Airborne so I'm hoping this album is better. For me, that's what it boils down to - if most folks say it's really good, then I'll probably but it.

EaglesKiwi
02-07-2012, 02:46 PM
I like to spend a little time listening to music before I buy it (thank you YouTube and Vevo). If the music is good, I'll probably get it at some point in time, but it's not top of my list. I'm also very much more focused on vocals than instrumentals, so it will depend on how his voice is now too.

sodascouts
02-07-2012, 02:50 PM
Although it's been a couple years now, when I saw him in 2009 his voice was more to my liking than it has been in the past because on Airborne, it sounded a lot less natural and overproduced, IMHO.

GlennLover
02-07-2012, 08:58 PM
I'm like Dreamer. I will probably hold off to hear what others think. Also, like EK, I usually prefer songs with good vocals. My general opinions of him aside, I agree that he is a great guitarist.

ETA: I have never heard Airborne.

Brooke
02-08-2012, 11:06 AM
Same here.

sodascouts
03-01-2012, 01:52 PM
I just wanted to mention here the information Dreamer got from one of Felder's promotional interviews in the Calgary Herald (http://www.calgaryherald.com/Eagle+Felder+happy+solo/6230647/story.html) - that the CD is now due out in May and has 12 tracks, all of which he wrote. Whitesnake's Doug Aldrich and will.i.am. will also appear.

Felder adds:

People hear it and they say, ‘This sounds a lot like the Eagles.’ And I can’t help that. I didn’t set out to try to sound like the Eagles, it’s just what I do. It’s set apart from the Eagles in that it’s a lot tougher sounding, it’s a lot more rock ’n’ roll...“Hotel California" on steroids.

Topkat
03-01-2012, 07:12 PM
That was an interesting article on Don Felder. He sounds happy with what he's doing, so I'm happy for him. I never heard the other album Airborne either.
Sounds like he will be touring the new album.

WalshFan88
03-03-2012, 06:50 AM
Very interesting. I will also probably hold off until I can hear samples of it or something - especially on the vocals and the songs themselves (other than Felder's great playing).

whitcap
03-17-2012, 06:24 PM
He did say this album would be out in May didn't he? So far we've heard very little about it. As far as I know it doesn't even have a title yet. Maybe he's waiting until after his Japan shows to announce a release date? Who knows? I'm just hoping it doesn't get pushed back too much farther.

sodascouts
07-09-2012, 09:09 PM
Now that he's tweeted that he's sequenced the album, maybe he really will release it this year after all!

whitcap
07-09-2012, 09:35 PM
The title is supposed to be announced sometime this month.

VAisForEagleLovers
07-10-2012, 01:29 PM
From Don's most recent FB post: The order of songs for the album has been officially decided!

He didn't say what the order of the songs is, just that it's been decided...

sodascouts
07-14-2012, 04:59 PM
I wanted to post the information that whitcap heard at the Biloxi concert here as well: Felder says the album will come out the first week of October.

sodascouts
07-14-2012, 07:13 PM
More information: this news item (http://www.b1027.com/music/rock-report/37316-don-felder-solo-album-coming.html) says that Felder will release a single the week of August 27th entitled "Fall from the Grace of Love."

Shadowland07
07-24-2012, 10:23 AM
http://ultimateclassicrock.com/don-felder-fall-from-the-grace-of-love/

I can honestly see the Eagles do this song. What do you guys think?

VAisForEagleLovers
07-24-2012, 10:28 AM
The new album is titled Road To Forever and will be released Oct. 9. There's also a sneak peek at the new single, Fall From The Grace of Love.

whitcap
07-24-2012, 12:43 PM
Sweet! I can't wait for this album. I've been walking around singing the new song all morning.

Topkat
07-24-2012, 01:24 PM
Love Don's new song..... Looks like it's going to be a great album with some impressive back up there: C,S,N, Tommy Shaw & members of Toto! I LIKEY:thumbsup:

chaim
07-24-2012, 01:45 PM
Yes, I can easily imagine Eagles doing this. Do I hear autotune, used as an effect??
A nice song, nice vocals. Nice slide playing, but that's not a surprise! The pre-chorus (starting at 0:47) reminds me a bit of the pre-chorus in Glenn's Brave New World - starts at 1:10 in this link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70U7KW1HcWg

Troubadour
07-24-2012, 02:52 PM
Oooh, very cool that CSN and the Toto guys are guests on the album!

07-24-2012, 04:29 PM
Well - if this first song is any indication, the album should be pretty good. I like it!

VAisForEagleLovers
07-24-2012, 04:34 PM
I liked the song, too!

The new album cover:
http://i1200.photobucket.com/albums/bb328/vernakrose/Felder/albumcover.jpg

Troubadour
07-24-2012, 04:47 PM
I like it!

Victim of Love
07-24-2012, 05:50 PM
Strong vocals but the instrumental work seems pretty basic on this cut. I'll be interested to hear more materials from the album.

Freypower
07-24-2012, 07:02 PM

I can honestly see the Eagles do this song. What do you guys think?

I know what you are trying to say here, but I am not sure that it's helpful to instantly compare Felder's new song with the Eagles and ask if the Eagles could do it, when we all know that will never happen. However to answer your question, it isn't dissimilar to the band's sound and it could be adapted.

My honest opinion, however, is one of disappointment. It plodded along, and frankly his vocals are still not great. I also think Road To Forever is not a particlarly insipired album title.

Please believe me when I say I approached this with an open mind and was not trying to be 'anti-Felder' when I listened to it. I will be buying this album, but I am not impressed with this song.

Freypower
07-24-2012, 07:06 PM
OK, to counter what I said elsewhere, I like the cover.

Shadowland07
07-24-2012, 07:06 PM
I know what you are trying to say here, but I am not sure that it's helpful to instantly compare Felder's new song with the Eagles and ask if the Eagles could do it, when we all know that will never happen. However to answer your question, it isn't dissimilar to the band's sound and it could be adapted.

My honest opinion, however, is one of disappoitment. It plodded along, and frankly his vocals are still not great. I also think Road To Forever is not a particlarly insipired album title.

Please believe me when I say I approached this with an open mind and was not trying to be 'anti-Felder' when I listened to it. I will be buying this album, but I am not impressed with this song.

That's not what I'm saying at all. I meant that it had an Eagles feel to it. I didn't mean for my comment to come off as comparing it to the Eagles or implying that they would do it. It just has a strong Eagles sound to it, almost as if he's playing it safe.

Freypower
07-24-2012, 07:08 PM
That's not what I'm saying at all. I meant that it had an Eagles feel to it. I didn't mean for my comment to come off as comparing it to the Eagles or implying that they would do it. It just has a strong Eagles sound to it, almost as if he's playing it safe.

I know you meant it has a strong Eagles sound, but your words were 'I can see the Eagles doing it'.

Tiffanny Twisted
07-24-2012, 07:11 PM
Thanks for the info.

While Hotel California is one of my favorite Eagles songs,

I can now see why Don H and Glenn were the lead vocals for the group.

Again thanks for sharing

Shadowland07
07-24-2012, 07:14 PM
I know you meant it has a strong Eagles sound, but your words were 'I can see the Eagles doing it'.

Yeah I know, but I meant like I could see them playing the song had Felder not been fired. But we all know that would never happen. Sorry for misleading.

chaim
07-25-2012, 03:59 PM
Yeah I know, but I meant like I could see them playing the song had Felder not been fired. But we all know that would never happen. Sorry for misleading.

That's how I understood your post.

Topkat
07-25-2012, 07:40 PM
I definitely do see the Eagles influence on this song. I love the strong harmonies here, and Don's guitar work. Don has never really been known as a great vocalist, more as a guitarist, but I think his adding some great singers like CSN and the others will help these songs. I'm interested to hear more.

BramwenR
07-26-2012, 04:20 AM
Agree with you TK, he is not a singer but wow, he ain't called Fingers for nothing! Good luck to him, he's worked very hard on it.:partytime:

RebeccaLovesEagles
07-26-2012, 01:56 PM
The new single is growing on me the more I listen to it. It weird about the vocals though, they were ok but when I saw him live in 2010 he rocked the vocals and I was blown away. :angel: We all know his guitar work was awesome!! I wonder if he is just a better live performer or if he didn't have a good recorder or mixer. I just wondering about such a difference in voice.

07-26-2012, 10:01 PM

No need to apologize, SL. I think most of us got what you meant. I can see a little Eagles influence in the song as well. I remember Don mentioned in a recent interview that a lot of the songs on the album sounded kind of "Eagley". He could certainly do worse, that's for sure. :thumbsup:

Topkat
07-27-2012, 09:47 AM
The new single is growing on me the more I listen to it. It weird about the vocals though, they were ok but when I saw him live in 2010 he rocked the vocals and I was blown away. :angel: We all know his guitar work was awesome!! I wonder if he is just a better live performer or if he didn't have a good recorder or mixer. I just wondering about such a difference in voice.

I'm glad to hear that his vocals were good on a live performance. That might convince me to see his solo concert. Looking forward to the release of the album. Seems that he's coming to NYC for a show, so I am seriously considering seeing him.

VAisForEagleLovers
07-28-2012, 09:28 AM
An article about Don's new album.

http://www.music-news.com/shownews.asp?H=Don-Felder-to-release-first-album-in-29-years&nItemID=54677

RebeccaLovesEagles
07-28-2012, 09:25 PM
He was really great live and interacted well with the crowd :)

VAisForEagleLovers
07-29-2012, 10:05 PM
Supposedly, you can hear another of his songs via this link. I haven't tried it yet, probably won't be able to until after work tomorrow.

http://app.topspin.net/store/artist/10178?awesm=t.opsp.in_m057X&wId=157333&highlightColor=0x00A1FF&src=fb&theme=black&w=400&h=300

sodascouts
07-30-2012, 06:36 PM
I see the track listing hasn't been posted in the thread yet. Here it is:

Road to Forever Track listing

Fall From the Grace of Love
Girls in Black
Wash Away
I Believe in You
You Don’t Have Me
Money
Someday
Heal Me
Over You
Road to Forever
Life’s Lullaby
Give My Life

I got it from JamBands.com (http://www.jambands.com/news/2012/07/24/former-eagles-guitarist-don-felder-to-release-first-album-in-30-years).

sodascouts
07-30-2012, 06:42 PM
Just listened to the two tracks available.

I really enjoyed "Fall from the Grace of Love." Nice melody and guitarwork.

As for "You Don't Have Me" which I downloaded via Rocket Science - I don't like it quite as well, but it's not bad.

I think the title is pretty generic after all that fuss was made about finding the perfect one, but hey, it's just a title. What matters is the music!

VAisForEagleLovers
07-30-2012, 09:24 PM
Just listened to the two tracks available.

I really enjoyed "Fall from the Grace of Love." Nice melody and guitarwork.

As for "You Don't Have Me" which I downloaded via Rocket Science - I don't like it quite as well, but it's not bad.

I think the title is pretty generic after all that fuss was made about finding the perfect one, but hey, it's just a title. What matters is the music!

It can be downloaded from Don's website, too. http://www.donfelder.com/

WalshFan88
07-30-2012, 10:08 PM
I like the new track. But I'm more a hard rocker than into country-rock so I can see why perhaps people like the other for more of an early Eagles vibe. I prefer the later stuff and more distortion (guitar) and harder classic rock which is what You Don't Have Me reminds me of. It's very Bon Jovi-ish somehow. It reminded me somewhat of "You Give Love A Bad Name".

Tiffanny Twisted
08-04-2012, 12:13 PM

Additionally, the album is discussed a bit here (http://www.sonicscoop.com/2012/01/01/cross-country-view-ed-cherney-on-l-a-nyc-and-career-quality-control/).
guess its good thing that he can play guitar....he's not a good lead singer

VAisForEagleLovers
08-20-2012, 07:56 AM
An interview with Don...

http://www.glidemagazine.com/articles/58766/don-felder.html

sodascouts
08-20-2012, 04:40 PM
Thanks! I hadn't heard the bit about Jackson Browne's wife before.

BTW Wade Biery is playing with Felder now - wonder if he'll still be in Glenn's Florida show or too busy?

Topkat
08-20-2012, 08:14 PM
That was a really great interview with Don. Sounds like he's in a really comfortable place in his life & with the new music he's doing for the upcoming album. Also sounds like he has some really talented people working with him. I'm really looking forward to hearing his new stuff. The one song I did hear was really good.
Thanks for posting VA!:thumbsup:

Tiffanny Twisted
08-20-2012, 08:18 PM
I think he earned his nickname well.
I think he is agreat guitar player.
Dont think singing is strong point

I think Joe walsh and steuart smith are better.

Just my opinion

tt

Tiffanny Twisted
08-20-2012, 08:24 PM
An interview with Don...

http://www.glidemagazine.com/articles/58766/don-felder.html

Thanks va

I did enjoy reading this article.
Thanks for posting it.
And I do like his daughters single.
tt

Prettymaid
08-21-2012, 08:25 AM
Thanks! I hadn't heard the bit about Jackson Browne's wife before.

I can't remember whether I had heard it or not, but it sound vaguely familiar. Wonder if it's true?

VAisForEagleLovers
08-21-2012, 08:44 AM
I can't remember whether I had heard it or not, but it sound vaguely familiar. Wonder if it's true?

Glenn alluded to something similar during the songwriter's lecture at NYU last fall. If I'm remembering it correctly. I don't remember him naming names on who, but but he did say that 'check out' meant that to those who wrote it.

Prettymaid
08-21-2012, 12:44 PM
Thanks VA, that's where I remember it from!

VAisForEagleLovers
08-21-2012, 09:14 PM
Another interview with Don. This one talks a lot about Hotel California as well.

http://beta.musicradar.com/news/guitars/interview-don-felder-on-the-eagles-classic-song-hotel-california-557397

Freypower
08-21-2012, 10:35 PM
Again this myth about HC being the first single. It was not. New Kid In Town was (and also went to Number One), but that was sung by Glenn Frey, and not co-written by Don Felder,and therefore apparently does not exist.

As for 'Don Henley doesn't play anything. He plays drums'..... well, yes. Seriously. On the contrary I have actually read where Henley has talked about writing songs on piano, even though he is better known for his lyrics.

I try to not make comments about some of the revisionism this man comes out with but occasionally I get annoyed.

sodascouts
08-21-2012, 10:51 PM
At least he clarifies that he wasn't a founding member in this interview, and didn't take the opportunity to trash Glenn and Don for not allowing more of his music onto albums. I think he is trying to distance himself from the negativity which permeated his book and the accompanying interviews promoting it, and I appreciate that. (I hope I'm not speaking too soon!)

Brooke
08-22-2012, 02:54 PM
I agree. It seems that maybe he has kind of 'gotten over it' and is trying to move on, which is a good thing.

Frank Simes used to play with Don H. I wonder if he ever will again? :eyebrow:

VAisForEagleLovers
08-22-2012, 05:18 PM
A phone interview with Don in NZ...

http://www.radiolive.co.nz/Don-Felder-former-Eagles-member-talks-to-Dudley-Stace/tabid/506/articleID/30186/Default.aspx

Topkat
08-22-2012, 06:37 PM
I saw that interview posted on Facebook! Listening to it now.Pretty interesting stuff & quite a long interview.:thumbsup:

sodascouts
08-24-2012, 07:33 PM
"Fall from the Grace of Love" is now available as an MP3 download on Amazon.com and iTunes:

http://donfelder.com/?news/first-single-fall-from-the-grace-of-love-now-available-on-itunes-and-amazon.html

Topkat
08-25-2012, 05:12 PM
You know the one thing that kind of irked me about the interview with Don, was when a fan called in & mentioned "Love Will Keep Us Alive" and Don got into a whole story about how Paul Carrack wrote that song & when they were working on the album, HFO Timothy wanted to sing it. Well, Don pretty much dissed Timothy by saying that he liked Paul's version of the song better! Well, my ears were burning over that statement!

The fan called in, saying how much she liked the song, & obviously she heard it with Timothy singing it, & then Don goes into this whole thing! Just really kind of PISSED ME OFF:-x:-x:-x:-x:-x:-x

EaglesKiwi
08-26-2012, 05:07 AM
You know the one thing that kind of irked me about the interview with Don, was when a fan called in & mentioned "Love Will Keep Us Alive" and Don got into a whole story about how Paul Carrack wrote that song & when they were working on the album, HFO Timothy wanted to sing it. Well, Don pretty much dissed Timothy by saying that he liked Paul's version of the song better! Well, my ears were burning over that statement!

The fan called in, saying how much she liked the song, & obviously she heard it with Timothy singing it, & then Don goes into this whole thing! Just really kind of PISSED ME OFF:-x:-x:-x:-x:-x:-x
I hear you on that, TK. Felder has made uncomplimentary comments on LWKUA more than once. I don't think he's intentionally trying to put Timothy down - well I sure HOPE he isn't - but it's a really thoughtless remark and shows Felder in a bad light.

He could have said something like, "Hey, Paul Carrack co-wrote that song, check out his version, that's fantastic too".

08-26-2012, 12:03 PM
Yeah - I agree that these types of comments about his former bandmates do not reflect very well on Felder. Unfortunately, remarks like these are not out of character for him - in many of the interviews for his book promotion, he frequently said things that made him come across as mean-spirited and vengeful. He would say some pretty nasty things with a smile on his face - not exactly the kind of remarks that would endear him to most Eagles fans. :sad:

Topkat
08-27-2012, 11:05 AM
I think Don was just bothered by the fact that this Eagles fan complimented a song that he really didn't have much part of, so he felt the need to diss the song, & or Timothy in some backhanded compliment. Pretty annoying. He has a way of doing that on several occasions & with other songs as well.

VAisForEagleLovers
08-29-2012, 02:15 PM
Part 2 of the interview with Music Radar.

http://beta.musicradar.com/news/guitars/interview-don-felder-on-his-new-album-road-to-forever-558398

Also, he'll be speaking to Guitar Aficionado soon, and you can ask him a question through them.

http://www.guitaraficionado.com/

WalshFan88
09-02-2012, 02:03 AM
Really looking forward to Don's new album. I will get around to preordering it soon.

VAisForEagleLovers
09-07-2012, 03:16 PM
Don is on WDVE in Pittsburgh right now. Sorry for the late notice. The site was down last night and I forgot I never put it here.

www.dve.com

VAisForEagleLovers
09-07-2012, 03:33 PM
I told myself I wasn't going to do this but I can't help it.

I didn't get the DJ's name (while I have the station bookmarked, I don't have the lineup memorized) said the Eagles were the first band to command $100 per ticket. Don said that he wanted them to play twice as many concerts for $50. But other band members who wanted the money weren't interested in working more to get it.

For crying out loud...

VAisForEagleLovers
09-07-2012, 03:39 PM
My head hurts.

He said he's still close to Randy and Bernie, and that he went golfing with Randy 'a few months ago'. He also said he's still 'very close' to Joe. He said he's reached out to Glenn and Don numerous times but nothing has come of it, he communicates with them through lawyers.

He talked about the history of the band and how he came to make this album. I assume the station will put up a podcast. When they do, I'll post it.

Freypower
09-07-2012, 06:45 PM
I told myself I wasn't going to do this but I can't help it.

I didn't get the DJ's name (while I have the station bookmarked, I don't have the lineup memorized) said the Eagles were the first band to command $100 per ticket. Don said that he wanted them to play twice as many concerts for $50. But other band members who wanted the money weren't interested in working more to get it.

For crying out loud...

That's his view. I take that with an extremely large grain of salt. Why can't he forget all this stuff & talk about himself? He's stuck, of course.

WalshFan88
09-07-2012, 07:04 PM
He also said he's still 'very close' to Joe.

Hmm. Interesting. From the sounds of his book (which granted, was awhile ago) it sounded like Joe didn't want anything to do with him.

sodascouts
09-08-2012, 04:30 PM
Felder first talked about his reconcilement with Joe in 2009, I believe, which at that time had only recently taken place. They were still on the outs when Felder wrote his book in 2007.

Good to hear Randy was able to play golf with him as recently as "a few months ago."

VAisForEagleLovers
09-12-2012, 11:48 AM
From Don on Facebook:

‎"Girls in Black" debuted at #33 this week on the classic rock charts. Here's a list of the stations you can hear it on so far: http://donfelder.com/?news%2Fdon-makes-classic-rock-chart-debut.html

sodascouts
09-12-2012, 02:05 PM
Wow! I have to say I'm surprised. I didn't even realize he had released it as a single, and we're probably the most well-informed people when it comes to stuff like that - so the fact that enough people would even know about it to make it get that high is surprising.

I've listened to the song because I pre-ordered and got a download of it free. It's not bad, but I don't like it as well as "Fall from the Grace of Love." It reminds me too much of "Bad Girls" from Airborne.

VAisForEagleLovers
09-12-2012, 03:03 PM
Wow! I have to say I'm surprised. I didn't even realize he had released it as a single, and we're probably the most well-informed people when it comes to stuff like that - so the fact that enough people would even know about it to make it get that high is surprising.

I've listened to the song because I pre-ordered and got a download of it free. It's not bad, but I don't like it as well as "Fall from the Grace of Love." It reminds me too much of "Bad Girls" from Airborne.

I'm glad I'm not the only one that missed it. I thought maybe I slept through something. I should go check it out, maybe I missed one of his Facebook feeds. As we discussed, Facebook does what it wants.

WalshFan88
09-12-2012, 05:08 PM
Felder first talked about his reconcilement with Joe in 2009, I believe, which at that time had only recently taken place. They were still on the outs when Felder wrote his book in 2007.

Good to know! :)

VAisForEagleLovers
09-17-2012, 07:38 PM
From Ultimate Classic Rock...

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/don-felder-life-after-eagles/

Tiffanny Twisted
09-19-2012, 07:06 PM
Thanks Va,
'Intresting article.

I think JMO, that they all were in different places at the same time in their lives that they were popular.
I mean at one point Randy Meisner missed his family.
So did Don Felder.
Dh and GF had kids much later in their lives and careers, but they all seemed to mange to make beautiful history making music together that made up the soundtrack of my life.

I listened to Hotel Califorinia today (the whole cd in the car).
It really takes me back to when I was in high school and How much I loved that band. I know Fleetwood mac was big then too but for me it was that album and that band with a gorgous glenn Fry in his tight jeans with his guitar.
So I guess my point being, they were all at different parts of their lives but they came together to make the soundtrack of my life. Pretty wild and neat when you think about it:thumbsup:

tt

Topkat
09-20-2012, 07:00 PM
That was a great interview, Thanks for posting VA:thumbsup:
Seems like Don is in a good place now, & I'm looking forward to hearing the CD.

VAisForEagleLovers
09-21-2012, 03:42 PM
Don will be making two appearances next week in NYC. One for the UN-sponsored South South Awards on Sunday, and with with Les Paul Trio at the Iridium on Monday.

http://www.donfelder.com/

09-21-2012, 07:34 PM
Thanks for that link, VA. Looks like Don's gonna do quite a bit of promotion for the new album.

Topkat
09-21-2012, 08:54 PM
I know, I saw that this morning on FB. He's playing at the same place that Joe also just added a show to The Iridium. I think this is a new place, but I could be mistaken. I think they both added these shows kind of last minute. I am going to try to see Don at one of these appearances if possible.

whitcap
09-24-2012, 12:36 PM
Don's been busy today. He was on Good Day NY this morning, ABC News Radio a little while ago, he's doing an interview with Guitar World today and he's playing with the Les Paul Trio tonight.

09-24-2012, 12:47 PM
Wow - he is getting around NYC, isn't he? Thanks for the Felder tracking, wc. :thumbsup:

Topkat
09-24-2012, 05:09 PM
The show Don is doing tonight can be seen Livestream from the Iridium. 8PM EST....DON FELDER LIVE!!!:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

I couldn't go, but now I can see it LIVE....SO HAPPY :blueblob::blueblob:
HERE'S THE LINK

http://theiridium.com/iridiumlive/

sodascouts
09-24-2012, 08:55 PM
Is it over? I don't see it!

whitcap
09-24-2012, 09:02 PM
Is it over? I don't see it!

I don't know what the deal with it is. I've been on the site since 7 central time and haven't seen anything. Both Felder and the Iridium FB said it would stream tonight. There is another band scheduled to play tonight so they may have gone first. According to the Iridium FB only Felder's sets were supposed to stream.

sodascouts
09-24-2012, 09:08 PM
How lame! I'll keep the window open, but it's not looking good. Did you post on the Iridium Facebook?

whitcap
09-24-2012, 09:10 PM
How lame! I'll keep the window open, but it's not looking good. Did you post on the Iridium Facebook?

No not yet.

sodascouts
09-24-2012, 09:16 PM
I posted a reply to their announcement. Not sure if they'll respond.

whitcap
09-24-2012, 09:18 PM
I just posted on their wall and I tweeted at Don about 45 minutes ago. We'll see. He may not be on til 10 ET.

Topkat
09-24-2012, 10:20 PM
I was so pissed off. I watched The Voice, but kept the stream on hoping it would come on. I Tweeted them that it wasn't working & someone on there said they called. I'm pretty upset because I really wanted to see this!!:brickwall:

sodascouts
09-24-2012, 10:52 PM
Well, maybe they'll stream it later... we can hope, at least.

whitcap
09-24-2012, 11:08 PM
Someone posted a comment on the streaming page saying that this has happened before recently.

WalshFan88
09-25-2012, 12:52 AM
Damn!

I slept through it but it sounds like I wasn't missing anything. :(

sodascouts
09-25-2012, 12:54 AM
I slept through it but it sounds like I wasn't missing anything. :sad:

Literally. It never came on. :(

Topkat
09-25-2012, 10:52 AM
What a disappointment!! They knew it wasn't working.... didn't even make a statement or apologize!!! I don't blame Felder, but I gave this club a piece of my mind!!:mad::mad:
Looks like Joe is also playing at this place. They have a contest to win tickets to the show, that link also doesn't work!!! Why am I not surprised!:cuss:

sodascouts
09-25-2012, 12:06 PM
Wow, looks like they have no clue how to maintain an online presence.

It's a huge deal to see a concert streamed and for them to just blow it off is disrespectful to all the fans they let down.

whitcap
09-27-2012, 02:57 PM
Here's the interview Felder did Monday morning:
http://www.myfoxny.com/story/19606104/don-felder

sodascouts
09-30-2012, 06:41 PM
Just got a chance to watch it.

Since he says the album comes from "ideas I had while writing the book [Heaven and Hell]," it's safe to say we might find some commentary about the Eagles in them. It'll be fun to speculate. I already have my suspicions about "You Don't Have Me." In fact, I might start a topic about it - but I think I'll wait 'til the album comes out.

Felder playing HC on that guitar was definitely different.

Topkat
10-01-2012, 12:31 PM
HC does not sound as great as when Don Henley sings it, that's for sure. I'm not sure that I'm too fond of Felder's voice. I haven't really actually heard him sing lead....Does he sing lead vocal on any Eagles songs? I don't think so...
Seems the others are all better singers than DF, but he's an ace guitar player, so I do credit him for that.

WalshFan88
10-01-2012, 01:06 PM
Does he sing lead vocal on any Eagles songs?

Visions from One Of These Nights.

Topkat
10-01-2012, 08:04 PM
Visions from One Of These Nights.

I'll have to look that one up. I don't even remember that song.. Thanks Austin!
I don't have the CD of One of These Nights, I may have the vinyl somewhere in my collection, but unfortunately I have no turntable.

lizzyplays
10-02-2012, 07:11 AM
If you want a quick listen, here's the YouTube posting of the song, TK.

http://youtu.be/wXMJ9Q6W8rY

Topkat
10-02-2012, 08:29 AM
Thanks Lizzy, I still don't recall the song, but it's pretty good. I don't think I've listened to OOTN in a very long time, since my turntable died sometime in the 90's & I never replaced it.

whitcap
10-02-2012, 05:23 PM
Only one more week until the release :spin:

whitcap
10-02-2012, 05:32 PM
grammy.com is streaming Felder's new song Wash Away: http://www.grammy.com/news/grammycom-exclusive-first-listen-don-felder

lizzyplays
10-02-2012, 10:18 PM
Thanks Lizzy, I still don't recall the song, but it's pretty good. I don't think I've listened to OOTN in a very long time, since my turntable died sometime in the 90's & I never replaced it.

I didn't recall it either, from back in the day, but I rather liked it! Then again, I"m fond of Felder, (issues aside). I can't help it... the magic him and Joe shared on stage is unmatched.

Topkat
10-02-2012, 10:55 PM
I didn't recall it either, from back in the day, but I rather liked it! Then again, I"m fond of Felder, (issues aside). I can't help it... the magic him and Joe shared on stage is unmatched.

I miss Felder too. I also think he & Joe were amazing together. I noticed the difference when I saw them in AC without him....It was a great show but there was something missing & that was Don Felder!

Topkat
10-02-2012, 11:01 PM
grammy.com is streaming Felder's new song Wash Away: http://www.grammy.com/news/grammycom-exclusive-first-listen-don-felder

Thanks for posting! Just listened to the song Wash Away....Wow LOVE IT

sodascouts
10-02-2012, 11:14 PM
That song is COOL. Definitely the best of the three released to the public so far, IMHO.

lizzyplays
10-02-2012, 11:35 PM

Wow! I love it too! Thanks for posting!

TimothyBFan
10-03-2012, 11:27 AM
The official Styx FB just posted this this morning.

Our friend and former Eagles guitarist Don Felder (https://www.facebook.com/donfeldermusic?ref=stream) has a new album coming out next week called Road to Forever. Tommy co-wrote and sung backgrounds on one of his new tracks called "Wash Away" that is now streaming on The GRAMMYs (https://www.facebook.com/TheGrammys) website. Check it out: http://bit.ly/PUWIZB

whitcap
10-03-2012, 12:03 PM
When he played Wash Away in Biloxi he said it was one of his favorite tracks on the new album.

10-03-2012, 01:27 PM
Thanks from me too, wc for posting that. I'm with Soda here ... of the three songs I've heard, this one is my favorite too.

Tiffanny Twisted
10-03-2012, 07:47 PM
Thanks for the link..appreciate it although I couldnt get the video part up.
tt

Freypower
10-03-2012, 08:18 PM
I didn't see a video either.

It's OK, but very similar to the Airborne stuff in that his voice is lost in the mix at times. I did like how he sang 'we go down to the river to wash away the pain' because that was an attempt to sing with more depth.

whitcap
10-05-2012, 11:43 AM
I just got a shipping confirmation email. My copy is on its way! :partytime:

WalshFan88
10-05-2012, 01:45 PM
Great! :)

EasyFeeling
10-08-2012, 12:51 PM
I have it already :partytime: It is cool, I like it a lot. And I just don't say that because the Toto guys are on it LOL

Fav songs so far is the title track where Don shares the guitar playing with Luke, Wash Away, Girls In Black and Fall From The Grace Love.

sodascouts
10-09-2012, 09:06 PM
Felder's album's official release date is today!

I have my copy - gonna listen to it after dinner.

For a limited time, you can also stream the whole thing at AOL (http://music.aol.com/new-releases-full-cds#/7) and MSN (http://music.msn.com/music/listeningbooth/).

Topkat
10-09-2012, 09:49 PM
Just checked my Tweets, DON FELDER tweeted me Thank you when I said I loved his new song! The tweet was from Oct 3rd & I just noticed it tonight!!:)
I need to check my tweets more often, ya think??

EasyFeeling
10-10-2012, 12:09 AM
Soda, you mean official release in USA I guess. It is already released in Germany since last Friday.

sodascouts
10-10-2012, 12:19 AM
Yes. Interesting how you guys got it first!

I just finished listening to it. I enjoyed it. It's FAR superior to Airborne. He's come a long way. "Over You" and "Wash Away" are especially strong songs. I recommend it.

EasyFeeling
10-10-2012, 04:37 AM
It is because release day in Germany is always Fridays :) I like the album too, it is very good.

VAisForEagleLovers
10-10-2012, 09:17 AM
Here is a list of Don's interviews for today. Most have listen live links and most will offer podcasts later today or tomorrow. Very nice of Don to give us a list instead of needing to rely on Twitter and Google alerts!

http://i1200.photobucket.com/albums/bb328/vernakrose/Felder/listofinterviews.jpg

ETA: These aren't the times they are aired. They are when he's calling the stations. The podcasts are offered later in the day on the day they are aired, probably tomorrow.

zeldabjr
10-10-2012, 09:56 AM
that is very cool!

sodascouts
10-12-2012, 12:18 PM
Upon further listening, I definitely think "You Don't Have Me" is aimed at Glenn and Don (or perhaps even just Glenn, since it's singular). Azoff could also fit, since Felder felt betrayed by him, too. Why do I think so? Just check out these lyrics:

If there's something wrong
Why can't you just step on up and tell me?
'Cause it won't take too long
For you and me to wrestle through this honestly
Yeah, we've both been here
Now we're back once again

I don't know what you're looking for
'Cause you've got everything you need
It's just never enough
You've still got to have more
You've got everything but me
No, you don't have me!

Look me in the eyes
I can tell you're dealing me a dirty hand
Tell me what kind of a friend
Would turn his back and rob you blind
Just like he planned
And it takes a wicked heart and empty soul
To do what you do.

More (oh yeah)
More (oh yeah)
That's what you keep telling me
More (oh yeah)
More (oh yeah)
You can't feel love 'cause your heart is empty

It's just never enough
You don't have me

sodascouts
10-12-2012, 12:23 PM
That song is followed by "Money," which is more general, but there's one section I also think is pointed towards his former bandmates:

Partners conspire
Like rabid vampires
Best way to shake you down

Lawyers make the deals
That cleverly steal
The gems right out of your crown

[The chorus is:]
I said, it's money
Dirtiest word you'll ever know
I said, it's money
Never easy come, just always easy go

VAisForEagleLovers
10-12-2012, 12:27 PM
Upon further listening, I definitely think "You Don't Have Me" is aimed at Glenn and Don (or perhaps even just Glenn, since it's singular). Azoff could also fit, since Felder felt betrayed by him, too. Why do I think so? Just check out these lyrics:

If there's something wrong
Why can't you just step on up and tell me?
'Cause it won't take too long
For you and me to wrestle through this honestly
Yeah, we've both been here
Now we're back once again

It's just never enough
No, you don't have me!

Look me in the eyes
I can tell you're dealing me a dirty hand
Tell me what kind of a friend
Would turn his back and rob you blind
Just like he planned
And it takes a wicked heart and empty soul
To do what you do.

More (oh yeah)
More (oh yeah)
That's what you keep telling me
More (oh yeah)
More (oh yeah)
You can't feel love 'cause your heart is empty

It's just never enough
You don't have me

This had 'ex-wife' written all over it until the third verse. Now, it feels like something I could have written in the past few days about a 'friend' of mine. If this is really about Glenn and he thinks Glenn has a wicked heart and an empty soul, then he's insane.

zeldabjr
10-12-2012, 12:40 PM
wow those songs are angry!....don't think I will be buying this CD!

sodascouts
10-12-2012, 01:15 PM
Well, to be fair, those two songs are the only ones I think are angry at his former bandmates. A lot of the other songs are about healing, beginning again, love, etc.

I guess as a Fleetwood Mac fan who is accustomed to seeing songwriters direct venom at each other, I took it with a grain of salt!

If this is really about Glenn and he thinks Glenn has a wicked heart and an empty soul, then he's insane.

I get mixed messages from Felder. In his book, he says all sorts of nasty things about Glenn which lead you to believe he really may have just that much vitriol towards Glenn. However, now, he says he's reaching out to them and he seems to have a less bitter viewpoint... then there's this song. I don't know. Maybe it was written while he was still in the throes of his anger and bitterness, and no longer represents what he feels. It's hard to say. Of course Glenn's not really like that, but angry people tend to be melodramatic and exaggerate.

VAisForEagleLovers
10-12-2012, 01:31 PM
I get mixed messages from Felder. In his book, he says all sorts of nasty things about Glenn which lead you to believe he really may have just that much vitriol towards Glenn. However, now, he says he's reaching out to them and he seems to have a less bitter viewpoint... then there's this song. I don't know. Maybe it was written while he was still in the throes of his anger and bitterness, and no longer represents what he feels. It's hard to say. Of course Glenn's not really like that, but angry people tend to be melodramatic and exaggerate.

Maybe he reaches out just enough, knowing Glenn and Don have moved on, in order to say in interviews that he's tried and it's 'the gods' who are in the wrong. I'm biased on this because of the drama in my life that's going on.

Probably, he's like most people, in between. At most moments he has a less bitter viewpoint but there's moments when the dark thoughts and feelings come to the top. As Glenn has said, 'bittersweet' makes for a good song. People can relate to the words and apply them to their own situation and not give a thought to who he might be talking about.

Henley Honey
10-12-2012, 06:21 PM
As Glenn has said, 'bittersweet' makes for a good song.

Yes, bittersweet does make for a good song but not bitterness -- IMO. If these two songs are representative of the entire album, I'll pass.

What's the saying? Write about what you know. Well in Felder's case it seems to be anger, cynicism, bitterness and a touch of paranoia.

whitcap
10-12-2012, 06:30 PM
Yes, bittersweet does make for a good song but not bitterness -- IMO. If these two songs are representative of the entire album, I'll pass.

They aren't representative of the whole album. Every other song on the album is about love and healing.

whitcap
10-12-2012, 06:37 PM
I absolutely love this album!

In regard to You Don't Have Me, I think its about the way Felder was feeling right after he was fired not the way he feels now. As for Money, I think that's just about the economy in general.

wow those songs are angry!....don't think I will be buying this CD!
I think you'll be missing out. The other 10 songs on the album are about love and healing

Freypower
10-12-2012, 06:42 PM
None of this surprises me. But I don't blame him for writing this any more than I blame Glenn for writing All Those Lies or Don for writing Nobody's Business. I'd rather this than sweep it under the carpet & pretend it didn't happen (although I think we are all very aware of how Felder feels).

I think the lyrics can be aimed at them both. It's hard to address something like that to two people. I do think it is Glenn he dislikes more. I also think it is worth mentioning that Glenn STILL has not made ONE public reference to these events (whereas Henley addressed them in the Rolling Stone cover story).

BUT:

Reading it again, though, it's Felder's status as a 'victim' that comes through most strongly. Once again he utterly fails to admit the possibility that there may have been mistakes made on his part as well.

I'm getting the album for my birthday, but I am guessing that it will not be high on my 'favourites' list.

whitcap
10-12-2012, 07:07 PM
This album has two bonus tracks. One is Sensuality which is available for download on iTunes and the other is She Runs Free which is available for download on Amazon.

VAisForEagleLovers
10-12-2012, 07:45 PM
This album has two bonus tracks. One is Sensuality which is available for download on iTunes and the other is She Runs Free which is available for download on Amazon.

So they aren't on any of the actual CDs?

whitcap
10-12-2012, 08:27 PM
So they aren't on any of the actual CDs?

They're only on the digital versions of the album as far as I know.

WalshFan88
10-12-2012, 09:21 PM
I really like the new album.

I think Felder's song "You Don't Have Me" is directed somewhat at Don and Glenn but TBH (and I'm probably alone in this) IMO I think he did get a pretty crappy deal in the firing and the way he was just "forgotten" and they were going to just cut him off without anything so he had to sue. Nothing against Don and Glenn (I like them too obviously), but I do think Felder got the short end of the stick on the whole firing deal. I know there is a lot of bias for Henley/Frey but I like to look at it from a band as a whole and to me I think Felder got treated pretty wrongly at the end. I'm not saying Don F is perfect or that he never said things he shouldn't have but I do think he got a raw deal out of it. So I can't blame him much for being bitter about it.

I think Felder's contributions have always been massively underrated in general, and certainly here IMO. I'm not saying he singlehandedly "made" the band but he certainly contributed largely to that era. To some people (not just here, but in general) Don and Glenn ARE the Eagles, but to me I always saw it as a whole package. I think some people would see the band in any lineup as long as those two were there. I know I wouldn't, but that's me and there is nothing wrong with that. But to me it was more than just them that made the band what it was. The sum is much greater than each of it's parts. Don F is a great guitarist and a great songwriter as far as coming up with musical pieces. I realize Hotel California was a collaboration and a result of the whole group, but if it weren't for Don F stumbling onto those opening chords in Malibu, then we wouldn't have ever had Hotel California, and quite frankly IMO the Eagles wouldn't have reached the level they are today. True they were very well known, but it was that song and album that propelled them into superstardom and a supergroup. Again, I'll say that it wasn't just Felder that did that, but if it weren't for Hotel California (which he started), then I truly believe it would be different today as far as popularity or success.

And I don't think anyone here is necessarily being unfair to Felder, it's just that his contributions IMO are underrated and sometimes overlooked. That's JMO though and as I said, it's not anyone in particular. I just think in general and not just here that he's one of the most underrated guitarists period, and more underrated than Joe even. And coming from a Walsh diehard like me - you know that's a serious statement and not something I would say unless I truly believed it as I do believe Joe is underrated too, but I do think Felder is highly underrated and under-appreciated for his guitar playing and contributions to the band.

As WC and others have said, it's only 1-2 songs that are even possibly about the band anyway. FWIW, my fav song so far is "Girls In Black". Love the guitar work on that one.

Again this is all JMO. :)

sodascouts
10-13-2012, 01:31 AM

Thanks for the info! I'm downloading them now.

Topkat
10-13-2012, 08:07 AM
You can assume whatever you want, but I don't see that this is written about Glenn. It could be about anyone. It could be about Irving, ex-wife, or whoever? It doesn't mention any names...It's only where you want to take it. Don had a lot of things go down on him all at once, not just being canned by the Eagles, but a divorce at the same time...and separated from his children. He must have felt very alone at this point in his life. It's normal to write about it & get things out in a creative way. That's his outlet for feelings, as is for most artists. I try not to see it personal or directed toward any one person in particular.
Still think the album is really good!:grooving:

10-13-2012, 02:16 PM
Okay, I’ve listened to the album several times online and that’s what I think we should focus on here since that’s what this thread is for. But, I do want to weigh in on some of the other comments here first. It has been almost 13 years since Felder’s departure from the Eagles – that’s a very long time to keep dwelling on it. Sometimes in life, you just have to accept the things you cannot change and move on – and when I say this, I’m talking about both Felder and many of his fans. While it’s true that we don’t know exactly who the songs are about, Felder has implied on several occasions that there were some songs on the album that address the conflicts in his life during the time of his firing and divorce. So, I don’t think it’s a huge leap to suggest that they are about either Henley, Frey, Azoff, or his ex-wife or some or all of them. So although he may have written these songs several years ago, he chose to put them on this album in 2012. In fairness to Don's fans, maybe they could find it easier to move on if he would. The songs have a very bitter tone to them and all I can say is get over it already!

Now, as far as the album, I can honestly say my impression is that’s it’s 'pretty good'. I certainly like it better than Airborne. However, overall, I don’t think it’s any better than average, so I don’t think I’m going to be buying it. I do really like Fall From Grace and Believe In You a lot. They are both very pretty and melodic. However, overall, I have the same complaint about this album that I have about a lot of albums, which is the lack of variety on it. I am very disappointed that Don didn’t showcase his strength more, which is playing a mean rock guitar. I guess I was just expecting a more uptempo, rockier sound overall. Instead we get mostly slow or mid-tempo songs where the vocals often get overpowered in the mix. Then, in the case of the few songs that do have a faster tempo, I don’t find them to be very melodic. Having said all this, I’m very glad that he did release the album and I wish him much success with it.

sodascouts
10-13-2012, 02:16 PM
It could be about Irving

I can see that, and even mentioned it.

it could be about his ex-wife

Not unless his ex-wife had a sex change operation. Check out the third verse!

timfan
10-13-2012, 03:26 PM
Just listening to this album for the first time and honestly I'm not overly impressed. I do like a few of the songs ( Fall from Grace and Over You) but the rest doesn't grab me. As dreamer mentions I also think Don F missed an oppurtunity here to showcase his immense guitar talent.

In terms of You Don't Have Me and Money both appear to be very bitter songs and I certainly feel are at least somewhat, directed at his "Eagles expierences" I hope that writing those songs will help him let that bitterness go..

WalshFan88
10-13-2012, 04:59 PM
Not unless his ex-wife had a sex change operation. Check out the third verse!

:rofl:

Topkat
10-13-2012, 08:50 PM
Now, as far as the album, I can honestly say my impression is that’s it’s 'pretty good'. I certainly like it better than Airborne. However, overall, I don’t think it’s any better than average, so I don’t think I’m going to be buying it. I do really like Fall From Grace and Believe In You a lot. They are both very pretty and melodic. However, overall, I have the same complaint about this album that I have about a lot of albums, which is the lack of variety on it. I am very disappointed that Don didn’t showcase his strength more, which is playing a mean rock guitar. I guess I was just expecting a more uptempo, rockier sound overall. Instead we get mostly slow or mid-tempo songs where the vocals often get overpowered in the mix. Then, in the case of the few songs that do have a faster tempo, I don’t find them to be very melodic. Having said all this, I’m very glad that he did release the album and I wish him much success with it.

Dreamer, I have to agree with you in that Don should be showing off his amazing guitar work here as that is his main strength. I'm not sure this was exactly what I was expecting, but some of the songs are pretty good, some I'm not loving that much. Have there been any reviews out on it yet???

zeldabjr
10-14-2012, 08:55 PM
feel so conflicted about this man, his music, his CD...I want to hear the CD...don't want to hear the CD...:confused:....wish my mind could decide but just can't seem to...

Topkat
10-14-2012, 09:48 PM
feel so conflicted about this man, his music, his CD...I want to hear the CD...don't want to hear the CD...:confused:....wish my mind could decide but just can't seem to...
I don't understand, why would you have conflicted feelings about Felder? Whatever happened was between them, not us...He's a huge talent and deserves credit for that. Why wouldn't you even want to hear the album?
I don't really care what happened between them, it's over a long time ago. If anything in the song is about them, it is only Don expressing his feelings in a song, that's it.....I think the others could really care less about it.

Freypower
10-14-2012, 10:06 PM
I don't understand, why would you have conflicted feelings about Felder? Whatever happened was between them, not us...He's a huge talent and deserves credit for that. Why wouldn't you even want to hear the album?
I don't really care what happened between them, it's over a long time ago. If anything in the song is about them, it is only Don expressing his feelings in a song, that's it.....I think the others could really care less about it.

Well, for what it's worth, I know what Zelda means. I feel the same way. I wish Felder well but my opinion of him took a very large downturn after the publication of the book. I decided to buy the album in an attempt at 'reconciliation' as a gesture as a fan. I've been very hard on him and I thought I should give it a chance. But from what people have said, some of the songs apparently contain more complaining & vitriol about the events of 12 years ago, and that is putting me off. Unlike you TK, I DO care about what happened. I DO care about the way Felder hammered Frey & Henley at every opportunity he got. I do care that it was so nasty on both sides & that the wounds at least on Felder's side have not healed. It may well be a long time ago, but Felder is the one who keeps bringing it up.

I would not presume in any way to know how the other members of the Eagles feel about this. I do not know them.

Yes, Felder is entitled to express his feelings in his songs, and as fans, we are entitled to express any uneasiness or conflict that we experience.

10-14-2012, 10:06 PM
I would have to disagree with this too, Topkat. Music is a very personal thing and sometimes people have to feel a kind of connection with an artist to be able to enjoy their music. Different folks listen to different artists for different reasons. Speaking for myself, I want the artists that I listen to 'speak' to me. It can be a very intimate dynamic between an artist and their audience and I don't think it's at all unusual for people to want to be able to relate to an artist. I can totally understand what zelda is saying about being conflicted here.

zeldabjr
10-14-2012, 11:18 PM

I'm sure the rest of the guys wish him well as do I...and yeah I'm sure the guys could care less about it at this point...and yeah it was between them...not us...but...I wish he had made a CD that has no baggage with it...and it doesn't sound like he did that...I would have been able to embrace it more I think...yeah he can express his negativity in a song, but I don't have to buy it!...I do believe he references the band in at least that one song and I won't pay good money to hear that...jmo

VAisForEagleLovers
10-14-2012, 11:29 PM
At some point soon, I am going to buy the thing. I was supposed to go out this weekend and get it along with a lot of other things. Like groceries. Maybe tomorrow.

I totally get what you're saying, FP. I think that with the exception of maybe a few songs, I'll like it. The songs I've heard so far are a style that I like. I've made no secret that the book irritated me to no end and for many reasons. He has brought up a few things, but it seems to me that lately, anyway, he's looking forward a lot more than he's looking back, which is the best thing for all concerned and especially him.

sodascouts
10-14-2012, 11:30 PM
I guess I'm kind of middle of the road. I listen to the music and see if I like it or not, regardless of the artist's personal life. I don't refuse to listen to an artist's music due to his personal sins unless it's extreme circumstances, like the guy worships Satan or molests children, that kind of thing.

Ironically, I think some on the board would find devil-worship to be a lesser sin than the writing of that book. ;)

VAisForEagleLovers
10-15-2012, 12:11 PM
A video interview...

http://www.q1043.com/common/kyte/medialink.php?uri=channels%2F461274%2F1700350

lizzyplays
10-15-2012, 11:18 PM
I guess I'm kind of middle of the road. I listen to the music and see if I like it or not, regardless of the artist's personal life. I don't refuse to listen to an artist's music due to his personal sins unless it's extreme circumstances, like the guy worships Satan or molests children, that kind of thing.

Ironically, I think some on the board would find devil-worship to be a lesser sin than the writing of that book. ;)

I don't intend to take sides either, with Felder or the band. My personal opinion is that I loved the Eagles era with Felder in it. And the magic that was between Felder and Walsh is unmatched. I haven't read the book (yet), but I've read enough about it on here, that even as much as I love the band and Felder himself, I can't or won't let it dictate what I listen to from either of them. I just love the music! And wish I could see that magic... one more time... The one song I've heard from Felders new album, I liked. May not like some of the others, but that usually rings true for me with any artist. I haven't heard the one(s) you guys are referring to.... yet....

Brooke
10-16-2012, 10:10 AM
I agree with most of you about Felder. I wish him well, but I wish he'd 'get over it' and move on. Why keep bringing things up? It does no good. The rest of the Eagles never mention him. And now he's singing about stuff? I haven't heard it yet, and now I may not even give it a listen. I probably wouldn't have bought it anyway. What he does just doesn't really interest me.

Topkat
10-16-2012, 12:03 PM
I really like the new album.

I think Felder's song "You Don't Have Me" is directed somewhat at Don and Glenn but TBH (and I'm probably alone in this) IMO I think he did get a pretty crappy deal in the firing and the way he was just "forgotten" and they were going to just cut him off without anything so he had to sue. Nothing against Don and Glenn (I like them too obviously), but I do think Felder got the short end of the stick on the whole firing deal. I know there is a lot of bias for Henley/Frey but I like to look at it from a band as a whole and to me I think Felder got treated pretty wrongly at the end. I'm not saying Don F is perfect or that he never said things he shouldn't have but I do think he got a raw deal out of it. So I can't blame him much for being bitter about it.

I think Felder's contributions have always been massively underrated in general, and certainly here IMO. I'm not saying he singlehandedly "made" the band but he certainly contributed largely to that era. To some people (not just here, but in general) Don and Glenn ARE the Eagles, but to me I always saw it as a whole package. I think some people would see the band in any lineup as long as those two were there. I know I wouldn't, but that's me and there is nothing wrong with that. But to me it was more than just them that made the band what it was. The sum is much greater than each of it's parts. Don F is a great guitarist and a great songwriter as far as coming up with musical pieces. I realize Hotel California was a collaboration and a result of the whole group, but if it weren't for Don F stumbling onto those opening chords in Malibu, then we wouldn't have ever had Hotel California, and quite frankly IMO the Eagles wouldn't have reached the level they are today. True they were very well known, but it was that song and album that propelled them into superstardom and a supergroup. Again, I'll say that it wasn't just Felder that did that, but if it weren't for Hotel California (which he started), then I truly believe it would be different today as far as popularity or success.

And I don't think anyone here is necessarily being unfair to Felder, it's just that his contributions IMO are underrated and sometimes overlooked. That's JMO though and as I said, it's not anyone in particular. I just think in general and not just here that he's one of the most underrated guitarists period, and more underrated than Joe even. And coming from a Walsh diehard like me - you know that's a serious statement and not something I would say unless I truly believed it as I do believe Joe is underrated too, but I do think Felder is highly underrated and under-appreciated for his guitar playing and contributions to the band.

As WC and others have said, it's only 1-2 songs that are even possibly about the band anyway. FWIW, my fav song so far is "Girls In Black". Love the guitar work on that one.

Again this is all JMO. :)

I'm with Austin on this one. I do think that Felder got a crappy end of the deal, being fired & the reason he got millions in the lawsuit is because it was deserved. He was a partner in the corporation... I also think he is so underrated as a guitar player & that he is hugely responsible for Hotel California. It was Felder who came up with the music FIRST, which Henley wrote words to, but if not for Felder, there would be no Hotel California.
I know many on here don't like Felder, or whatever he wrote in the book about the others, but he had a right to his feelings. JMHO

Topkat
10-16-2012, 12:57 PM
Felder says on Facebook that he will have a special guest when he plays at the Troubador this Sunday...Could it be JOE?????

http://www.troubadour.com/event/147367/

10-16-2012, 03:59 PM
Well, of course, everyone is entitled to express themselves, including Felder and everyone here. This has all been discussed extensively in many other threads, but, I think it’s important that the information here doesn't get distorted. First of all, it’s fair to point out that Felder was not a full legal partner in the corporation at the time of his firing. Also, the exact terms reached in the settlement of the lawsuit have never been disclosed. But, it is a fact that Felder originally asked for about $200 million in the lawsuit and the settlement was allegedly between $20-$30 million. Now, it’s pretty arguable about whether or not you want consider such a settlement a deserved victory or not. Also, with regard to the writing of Hotel California, it is also very subjective about the importance of each writer’s contributions, but I personally can’t buy into to the logic that Felder deserves more credit than the other co-writers. I don’t want to minimize Felder’s contribution, but I don’t want to minimize Henley's and Frey’s either. Felder wrote the music, but Henley and Frey are responsible for the song’s lyrics, melody, harmonies, and arrangement, and, of course, you can’t ignore Henley’s lead vocal contribution. I don’t understand how anyone can argue that one component of the song is more important than another. In fact, as we've also discussed previously, if you go by the legal definition, the writer of a song's music is not even legally entitled to a songwriting credit. And while most would probably agree that the Hotel California album was the band’s crowning achievement, the reality is, they were well on their way to super stardom with the release of One of These Nights. Even though I agree that it is the band’s most recognizable song, I think they would still have been pretty darn successful even without it.

VAisForEagleLovers
10-16-2012, 04:23 PM
Yes, I'd hate for this thread to get sidetracked into all those old issues and move the focus away from the new album. I realize, of course, that Don did some of that himself by introducing some of the lyrics and some of the things he's said in recent interviews. Of course, the interviewers have their own agenda, and same as Glenn and Joe couldn't get through any interview on their solo albums without discussing the Eagles and the Eagles future plans, those who interview Don want to focus on his past with the Eagles.

I hope this album does well for him and helps to move everyone past something that happened over a decade ago. As I said before, he seems to be moving forward and more power to him.

Freypower
10-16-2012, 04:40 PM
Well, of course, everyone is entitled to express themselves, including Felder and everyone here. This has all been discussed extensively in many other threads, but, I think it’s important that the information here doesn't get distorted. First of all, it’s fair to point out that Felder was not a full legal partner in the corporation at the time of his firing. Also, the exact terms reached in the settlement of the lawsuit have never been disclosed. But, it is a fact that Felder originally asked for about $200 million in the lawsuit and the settlement was allegedly between $20-$30 million. Now, it’s pretty arguable about whether or not you want consider such a settlement a deserved victory or not. Also, with regard to the writing of Hotel California, it is also very subjective about the importance of each writer’s contributions, but I personally can’t buy into to the logic that Felder deserves more credit than the other co-writers. I don’t want to minimize Felder’s contribution, but I don’t want to minimize Henley's and Frey’s either. Felder wrote the music, but Henley and Frey are responsible for the song’s lyrics, melody, harmonies, and arrangement, and, of course, you can’t ignore Henley’s lead vocal contribution. I don’t understand how anyone can argue that one component of the song is more important than another. In fact, as we've also discussed previously, if you go by the legal definition, the writer of a song's music is not even legally entitled to a songwriting credit. And while most would probably agree that the Hotel California album was the band’s crowning achievement, the reality is, they were well on their way to super stardom with the release of One of These Nights. Even though I agree that it is the band’s most recognizable song, I think they would still have been pretty darn successful even without it.

Hear, hear. Thanks for mentioning Glenn, Dreamer, because whenever this song is discussed some people think it is 'music by Felder, lyrics by Henley'. I don't want to bring all this up again either but it annoys me.

WalshFan88
10-16-2012, 05:06 PM
I'm with Austin on this one. I do think that Felder got a crappy end of the deal, being fired & the reason he got millions in the lawsuit is because it was deserved. He was a partner in the corporation... I also think he is so underrated as a guitar player & that he is hugely responsible for Hotel California. It was Felder who came up with the music FIRST, which Henley wrote words to, but if not for Felder, there would be no Hotel California.
I know many on here don't like Felder, or whatever he wrote in the book about the others, but he had a right to his feelings. JMHO

It never ceases to amaze me the lack of appreciation for Felder and even the dislike for him in some instances in the world. He is by far the most underrated member in the history of this band. I would even argue he's the most polarizing figure in the band, even more than Henley. :rofl:

sodascouts
10-16-2012, 09:04 PM
I was just commenting on a song as part of my thoughts on the album... I didn't mean to start an avalanche of negativity, but perhaps I should have anticipated that. In my defense, though, his inclusion of the song on the album invites such a discussion.

If the album is still available for streaming, I encourage you guys to listen to it and give it a chance. There is only the one song - "You Don't Have Me" - that's clearly about his situation with the Eagles; "Money" is more generalized, and the rest have completely different themes.

VAisForEagleLovers
10-17-2012, 11:41 AM
An interview with Don...

He says that the album is a musical auto-biography. He also says that none of the songs on it are "aimed directly" at the Eagles or individual members. The "aimed directly" is in quotes in the article. He talks about it being a way to heal himself and move on.

http://www.classichitsandoldies.com/v2/?s=don+felder

EasyFeeling
10-17-2012, 01:18 PM
Felder says on Facebook that he will have a special guest when he plays at the Troubador this Sunday...Could it be JOE?????

I've read it on his fb page and people believe it is Joe but I doubt it.

sodascouts
10-17-2012, 02:58 PM
Well, people can speculate, but I hope nobody is so convinced it's going to be Joe that they go just for that, because they could very well be disappointed.

sodascouts
10-17-2012, 02:59 PM
He says that the album is a musical auto-biography. He also says that none of the songs on it are "aimed directly" at the Eagles or individual members.

Mmmkay. I guess "You Don't Have Me" is about some other wealthy former friend who Felder feels "robbed him blind", abandoned him, and betrayed him so horribly that he felt compelled to write a song about it... not the wealthy former friend who he claims robbed him in his book. Poor Felder, he's surrounded by greedy false friends who cheat him out of money! ;)

VAisForEagleLovers
10-17-2012, 04:36 PM
Maybe since he didn't name names, it's not 'directly'?

Anyway, I still haven't made it out to run errands and pick up a copy but I prefer to think that he wrote the song in question in about 2002 and needed to use it to fill up space on the CD and that all the rest have a much better and healthier tone to them.

10-17-2012, 07:25 PM
Yeah - I'm having a hard time buying Felder's comments in that interview as well - particularly given the fact that on several other occasions recently, he has cntradicted that statement and said that there were songs on the album related to those particular experiences. Maybe he's been reading this thread and just trying to reassure us. :woah: :lol: And VA - I agree that he probably wrote the song a while back, but by making a consciencious choice to put it on the album, he had to know that it would open up old wounds again. I'll just repeat something I've said before - I'm really not interested in continuing to rag on him. As a matter of fact, I was hoping to keep the focus of the discussion of this thread about the album - BUT - if he doesn't want to keep getting shot down, then he needs to stop giving us the ammunition.

Freypower
10-17-2012, 10:38 PM
Well, I don't have it yet, so I would be happy if those who DO have it shared their thoughts about some of the other songs. I detect some disappointment except from Austin & whitcap who said they love it.

VAisForEagleLovers
10-18-2012, 03:23 PM
I've given up on ever having time to go buy the CD, so I just bought the MP3 version and downloaded it. I'll give it a listen and report back!!

TimothyBFan
10-23-2012, 12:03 PM

In answer to this question (I don't believe it was established yet here who it was).... no other than Mr. Tommy Shaw!!!! :headbang:

From the Styx official FB yesterday:

Tommy jumped on stage last night in LA with former Eagles guitarist Don Felder (https://www.facebook.com/donfeldermusic) to play "Take It Easy" and a cut they co-wrote on Don's new album called "Wash Away". Yes, those are Tommy's signature harmonies on the track.

Very cool!!! I've only listened to one song from the album so far but need to listen to Wash Away obviously. Anyone have an opinion on it? Can you really hear Tommy that well on it?

TimothyBFan
10-23-2012, 12:05 PM
And here's the YouTube video from Sunday with Tommy!! Yeah baby!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BOhKLAbbkdY

TimothyBFan
10-23-2012, 03:09 PM
Another one...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5e_QitVOEYk

And here's Take It Easy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dp20lWlt1RM

And another Take It Easy. Unfortunately, none of them have great sound to them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8N3xJnpUGZs

VAisForEagleLovers
10-23-2012, 03:38 PM
Put a couple of items from Don Felder today out on the blog (http://donfelderonline.blogspot.com/2012/10/a-round-up-of-items-from-don-today.html). Includes a mini-lesson on how to play Wash Away and the episode he recorded last night of The Adam Carolla Show.

zeldabjr
10-23-2012, 04:00 PM
Tommy Shaw was his surprise at the Troubadour?....I love it!...

Topkat
10-27-2012, 11:20 AM
OMG Fantastic video of Don & Tommy! Totally LOVE IT:thumbsup:
I have been zoning out on this album all week. I was so into it the other day, that I actually was on the wrong train & didn't even realize it until it was too late to switch to my train, so I was late to work!!!
I was not really that familiar with Don's voice because on the Eagles albums you don't really hear him that much, but I was surprised how good he sounds.

Tiffanny Twisted
10-27-2012, 07:24 PM
oK jmo i FEEL LIKE DF doing so many of these eagle songs is like a guy trying to be a cover band in a bar,,IJMO..'I dont like it. And it s a shame cause he is a talented guitar player....,.

Topkat
10-27-2012, 08:04 PM
oK jmo i FEEL LIKE DF doing so many of these eagle songs is like a guy trying to be a cover band in a bar,,IJMO..'I dont like it. And it s a shame cause he is a talented guitar player....,.

TT, I see Take It Easy, what other Eagles songs is he singing in the live show? He's promoting his new album, so much of the show is new stuff, Cover band?? That's really a low blow..JMO He was an Eagle for over 25 years...And actually TIE is Jackson Browne's song, so the Eagles covered it. Oh, yes, excuse me for not mentioning that Glenn wrote one line of it....
That video of Wash Away with Tommy is awesome. He doesn't need to cover Eagles songs. You really need to give this album a listen! It's amazing! JMHO

WalshFan88
10-27-2012, 08:40 PM

I respectfully disagree. It's no more "wrong" than Steuart Smith covering his parts in the Eagles to me and just going through the motions. I love hearing Don's take on them, afterall he did have something to do with the original songs (TIE and PEF being an exception) but AG, HC, etc are all his songs too AFAIC.

JMO.

Freypower
10-27-2012, 09:09 PM
TT, I see Take It Easy, what other Eagles songs is he singing in the live show? He's promoting his new album, so much of the show is new stuff, Cover band?? That's really a low blow..JMO He was an Eagle for over 25 years...And actually TIE is Jackson Browne's song, so the Eagles covered it. Oh, yes, excuse me for not mentioning that Glenn wrote one line of it....
That video of Wash Away with Tommy is awesome. He doesn't need to cover Eagles songs. You really need to give this album a listen! It's amazing! JMHO

Before you make statements like this, perhaps you should look at some of Felder's setlists. This was his setlist at Niagara Falls at the beginning of August.

Hotel California (The Eagles cover)
Already Gone (The Eagles cover)
One of these Nights (The Eagles cover)
Pride & Joy (Stevie Ray Vaughn cover)
Victim of Love (The Eagles cover)
Fall from Grace (new song)
Peaceful Easy Feeling (The Eagles cover)
Tequila Sunrise (The Eagles cover)
Seven Bridges Road (Steve Young cover)
Those Shoes (The Eagles cover)
Heavy Metal
Wash Away (new song)
The Long Run (The Eagles cover)
Witchy Woman (The Eagles cover)
Heartache Tonight (The Eagles cover)
Life in the Fast Lane (The Eagles cover)

Encore:

Take it Easy (The Eagles cover)

https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3834

I think this speaks for itself. As you can see, this setlist contains the grand total of two new songs.

He was not a member of the Eagles for 25 years continuously. For the period 1980 - 1994, none of them were members of the Eagles.

As for your statement that the Eagles 'covered' Take It Easy, there is some truth in this, but the Eagles' version is the best known.

Freypower
10-27-2012, 09:15 PM
I respectfully disagree. It's no more "wrong" than Steuart Smith covering his parts in the Eagles to me and just going through the motions. I love hearing Don's take on them, afterall he did have something to do with the original songs (TIE and PEF being an exception) but AG, HC, etc are all his songs too AFAIC.

JMO.

And I must respectfully disagree that Steuart is just 'going through the motions'. I understand you prefer Felder but there is no need to accuse Steuart of that. He is not Felder, and he is not trying to be. If those songs are going to be played, then somebody has to play those parts & Stueart plays them perfectly well. You also omitted that Felder also plays Witchy Woman live, which doesn't feature him originally.

WalshFan88
10-27-2012, 09:31 PM
I disagree that Steuart is just 'going through the motions' & you omitted that Felder also plays Witchy Woman live, which doesn't feature him originally.

Of course, you like and probably prefer the new band, that's fine. But to be honest, it isn't the same as having Felder in the band. I don't get all of the session musicians, horn section, etc. At least they ditched the suits (which screamed corporate rock). I guess it's obvious that I prefer the old lineup of Joe and Felder. But to say Felder is wrong for doing Eagles music is not right IMO. He has every right to do it. I'm sure it was part of the settlement as well. Obviously there is a lot of bias for Glenn/Don but I believe it's unfair to Felder.

I have to admit, I really don't get the dislike for Felder. IMO he was/is in the right. To be honest, I don't lean to far on either side (Frey/Henley vs Felder) but I try to be fair.

As far as Steuart, he seems like a nice guy and good guitarist but he's no Don Felder, nor is he an Eagle AFAIC. He to me is a hired hand, hired to just duplicate Felder's parts (which still miss Felder's signature tone and feel) exect as on record. He doesn't feel like an Eagle or a part of the band to me the way TBS or Walsh does regardless of them being salary guys. Also the fact he is far off to the side of the stage compared to the others doesn't help my views much. His playing seems very clinical to me, it lacks the feeling and emotion that Felder had, which is a very individualistic thing, I'll admit. But that doesn't change the fact that it isn't there.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that it really bothers me the lack of appreciation and in some cases respect for someone who IMO had a great impact on the Eagles success and sound.

JMHO, and like I said I stand in the middle. If I thought Frey/Henley got the short end of the stick on the Felder deal - I would say so. But I think the vice versa is true in this case.

Regardless of amount of songs - Don playing Eagles songs in his solo shows is no different than Joe, Tim, etc playing an Eagles tune and doing their spin on it (Joe doing LITFL for instance, or Glenn doing Desperado -both of which I like FWIW).

Freypower
10-27-2012, 09:45 PM
Of course, you like and probably prefer the new band, that's fine. But to be honest, it isn't the same as having Felder in the band. I don't get all of the session musicians, horn section, etc. At least they ditched the suits (which screamed corporate rock). I guess it's obvious that I prefer the old lineup of Joe and Felder. But to say Felder is wrong for doing Eagles music is not right IMO. He has every right to do it. I'm sure it was part of the settlement as well. Obviously there is a lot of bias for Glenn/Don but I believe it's unfair to Felder.

I have to admit, I really don't get the dislike for Felder. IMO he was/is in the right. To be honest, I don't lean to far on either side (Frey/Henley vs Felder) but I try to be fair.

As far as Steuart, he seems like a nice guy and good guitarist but he's no Don Felder, nor is he an Eagle AFAIC. He to me is a hired hand, hired to just duplicate Felder's parts (which still miss Felder's signature tone and feel) exect as on record. He doesn't feel like an Eagle or a part of the band to me the way TBS or Walsh does regardless of them being salary guys. Also the fact he is far off to the side of the stage compared to the others doesn't help my views much. His playing seems very clinical to me, it lacks the feeling and emotion that Felder had, which is a very individualistic thing, I'll admit. But that doesn't change the fact that it isn't there.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that it really bothers me the lack of appreciation and in some cases respect for someone who IMO had a great impact on the Eagles success and sound.

JMHO, and like I said I stand in the middle. If I thought Frey/Henley got the short end of the stick on the Felder deal - I would say so. But I think the vice versa is true in this case.

Regardless of amount of songs - Don playing Eagles songs in his solo shows is no different than Joe, Tim, etc playing an Eagles tune and doing their spin on it (Joe doing LITFL for instance, or Glenn doing Desperado -both of which I like FWIW).

I don't know what sort of appreciation for Felder you want. I respect him as a musician but I read that book and I lost a great deal of respect for him as a result. You say he was 'right'. Do you not consider that Frey & Henley had reasons for firing him? They have not really gone public with their reasons, but that does not make them any less 'right' than Felder.

You can disagree with Smith being a 'session musician' who isn't part of the band all you want. No, he's not part of the band. I have to say, it just doesn't bother me. I know you're a guitarist & I'm not, so I can't comment on whether Smith is 'clinical' or not.

I'm afraid I feel that Felder's defenders such as yourself exaggerate his contribution to the band. The alleged chemistry with Joe that you always wax so lyrical about; I saw it in 1995 & I'm glad I did, but I din't find it nearly as overwhelming or exciting as you seem to think it was. There is a great deal more to Eagles songs than how good some guitar solos were. Now I know that is a very strong thing to say, and maybe I shouldn't say it, but I sometime find this rosy glow of nostalgia for Felder goes a bit far. I am not saying you are wrong to miss him but the reality is, he's gone. And I also don't believe that by saying that I am showing any 'dislike' for him, though I have criticised his book & his apparent belief that he is an entirely blameless victim. That's the point; he is not entirely blameless for what happened. He was treated harshly, yes. As I said above, there must have been reasons for it.

No, he isn't wrong to play Eagles songs in his show, but to play songs he didn't even appear on, especially when he does actually now have an album to promote, I cannot understand.

WalshFan88
10-27-2012, 09:53 PM
I don't know what sort of appreciation for Felder you want. I respect him as a musician but I read that book and I lost a great deal of respect for him as a result. You say he was 'right'. Do you not consider that Frey & Henley had reasons for firing him? They have not really gone public with their reasons, but that does not make them any less 'right' than Felder.

You can disagree with Smith being a 'session musician' who isn't part of the band all you want. He isn't part of the band, that is true. I have to say, it just doesn't bother me. I know you're a guitarist & I'm not, so I can't comment on whether Smith is 'clinical' or not.

I'm afraid I feel that Felder's defenders such as yourself exaggerate his contribution to the band. The alleged chemistry with Joe that you always wax so lyrical about; I saw it in 1995 & I'm glad I did, but I din't find it nearly as overwhelming or exciting as you seem to think it was. There is a great deal more to Eagles songs than how good some guitar solos were. Now I know that is a very strong thing to say, and maybe I shouldn't say it, but I sometime find this rosy glow of nostalgia for Felder goes a bit far. I am not saying you are wrong to miss him but the reality is, he's gone. And I also don't believe that by saying that I am showing any 'dislike' for him, though I have criticised his book & his apparent belief that he is an entirely blameless victim. That's the point; he is not entirely blameless for what happened, and it is wrong to portray him as such.

No, he isn't wrong to play Eagles songs in his show, but to play songs he didn't even appear on, especially when he does actually now have an album to promote, I cannot understand.

You win FP... :rofl: I have nothing else to say because I know where it will go - nowhere.

One last thing I will say - there are a LOT more to Joe and Felder's contributions to the band than "some guitar solos". And there is a lot more to Eagles songs than just Don and Glenn, too. The sum is greater than it's parts.

Freypower
10-27-2012, 10:02 PM
Of course, that is true. I probably sounded too harsh. I do that sometimes. I just feel that the band in its current incarnation is also worth defending.

WalshFan88
10-27-2012, 10:14 PM
Of course, that is true. I probably sounded too harsh. I do that sometimes. I just feel that the band in its current incarnation is also worth defending.

Even though I feel Stu is not the same as Felder and I don't understand all of the background musicians - I did enjoy the show I saw in 2008. As I said, I think of the group as a whole. Of course I have my favorite (Joe and Felder as a 2nd), I try to see it as a sum, not it's individual parts. And I think Glenn's fans were probably upset by H&H, but IMO one was as guilty as the other, but I don't agree with how his termination went down. I've always felt that Felder was underrated.

It seems like out there for the most part there is two polarizing sides to the way people feel about the Felder termination and after reading the book. Either that GF and DH are @ssholes and greedy moneysucking egos, or that DF is a whiner and that GF and DH are better off without him. I do not belong to either side. I believe Don did get a crappy deal, but I don't hate Henley or Frey because of it. I see a lot of that in YT comments, guitar forums, etc.

To me it was always a group, and no matter about favorites, it was the group that made it what it was, not just the lead singers, not just the guitarists.

I have a preference for the HC lineup, of course that's well known. But I have seen the Eagles in it's current form and enjoyed the show. But yes I do miss Felder but I'm not hating Frey/Henley because of it. But I'll say that I do think it was a bad deal. I'd love to hear their side of it just as much as the next person. But cutting the man off with nothing wasn't right.

Topkat
10-28-2012, 09:19 AM
Quote FP

Before you make statements like this, perhaps you should look at some of Felder's setlists. This was his setlist at Niagara Falls at the beginning of August.

With all due respect, that was MONTHS BEFORE the new album was released. I will check to see what his current set list is....... I'm sure he is doing a lot more of the new album these days....The album was just released, so before the release, he was doing Eagles songs, but I don't really see anything wrong with that. Like I said, he was an Eagle for over 25 years & I'm sure he wouldn't be doing the songs without permission to do so!

Tiffanny Twisted
10-28-2012, 10:54 AM
OK...Just trying to sum it all up?????
I do agree with Frypower.
I feel like Autin ..you prefer DF..dont care for SS and long for the days of the original line up.
That being said.....

I think people have to realize that "life goes on"and is for ever changing.
IJMO-I dont care for DF as a lead singer.(He"s no GF or FH).His talents lie in his guitar playing.
I have said before that it bothers me that he is playing "Eagles songs" that he didnt write or that were hits before he joined the band.(again jmo)
When he sings lead...on "Eagles" songs...it reminds me of just a bar band doing covers . again jmo cant help it but thats how I feel.
Austin....ya gotta stop waining for the band as it was. LIfe goes on and things change. sometimes for the better and sometimes not.If you look at the other bands through out history, they have all gone through changes. It was a magic thing when they were together but as individuals and seperate human beings they have all changed grown and evolved over time.Appreciate what they had when that line up was together and thank god that they who remain are all healthy and still want to play live the music that is the soundtrack of my life.

I again JMO feel that DF has a new cd and he should be up there playing his new cd..not songs that were hits in the band when he wasnt in the line up. Sorry folks but thats how I feel in my heart.:computer:

WalshFan88
10-28-2012, 01:34 PM
I feel like Autin ..you prefer DF..dont care for SS and long for the days of the original line up.
That being said.....

Austin....ya gotta stop waining for the band as it was. LIfe goes on and things change. sometimes for the better and sometimes not.If you look at the other bands through out history, they have all gone through changes. It was a magic thing when they were together but as individuals and seperate human beings they have all changed grown and evolved over time.Appreciate what they had when that line up was together and thank god that they who remain are all healthy and still want to play live the music that is the soundtrack of my life.

I don't have to stop liking or praising the lineup I like no more than anyone should have to stop liking or praising the new band. If I prefer the old lineup, so be it. I (along with many) think there was something special to that lineup. I fully realize that DF will never be back in the Eagles - that said I will praise and remember that era when I feel like it.

10-28-2012, 02:48 PM
Well, I'll add my 2 (or 4) cents here and I’m sure that it will come as no surprise that I am in agreement with FP and TT about this. Like FP, I always have and still do have an immense appreciation for Felder’s talent as a guitarist; however, after his book and subsequent comments in interviews, I did lose a lot of respect for him as an individual. I just see too many character flaws in him that I don’t like. I have also tried to be fair and objective, and formed my opinion based on Felder’s own words and actions, not things that others said or wrote about him.

When fans say that Felder got a crappy deal and was treated unfairly, I don’t know what specific information they used to form their opinions. Most of us have only heard Felder’s account of events, which, surely, everyone recognizes is his biased version. I understand that he feels wronged – most people who are fired feel that way, but my biggest problem is the extreme anger that he feels even now. For example, in the song You Don’t Have Me when he talks about someone with “wicked heart and empty soul” who is incapable of feeling love because their heart is empty, that seems extraordinarily harsh and bitter to me. This vitriol seems to fuels his view that he is a perpetual victim and prevent him from sharing joint responsibility for the way things went down. In any event, it is certainly not the type of attitude that endears him to most fans, so it’s no wonder he has fallen out of favor with many in the Eagles’ fandom.

With regard to Steuart, I happen to think he does a wonderful job of recreating Felder’s guitar parts in live shows, which is exactly the role he was hired to do. In fairness, his performances may be somewhat sterile on purpose because he is not an official Eagle and his job is not to recreate Felder’s stage presence. As I’ve said before, I was not lucky enough to see Felder live, and I will always regret that because in the video I’ve seen, he really did have an energetic and impassioned stage presence. It is fun watching him and Joe together. To me, it’s a tip of the hat to their chemistry that they have not tried to duplicate it between Joe and Steuart.

As far as Felder’s role in the band being undermined and minimized – I don’t get that at all. As I and others have said repeatedly, I recognize that he did make a big contribution and I truly believe this band’s greatness is the combined unique talent of all of the members. However, I’d bet there are many Bernie, Randy, and Timothy fans that would take issue with the notion that Felder is the most underrated member of the band. The analogy I’ve often made is that the band is like a cooking recipe that has many ingredients, and the end product doesn’t turn out the same if you leave any of these ingredients out. BUT, some ingredients are more important and others can be substituted without much degradation. So while each band member has made significant contributions, Henley and Frey are key ingredients in this band’s success. And if anyone doesn’t believe that, then there is probably little that anyone else can say to convince them. But, the fact of the matter is the band has functioned much better as a unit since Felder’s departure, whereas, it simply would not exist without Glenn and Don H.

And last of all, as I’ve said many times, my biggest surprise of all is that we are still talking about all of this almost 13 years later. I personally don’t like Felder still performing Take It Easy, Witchy Woman, Peaceful Easy Feeling, and Tequila Sunrise either because it does give the appearance of a cover band. However, he is certainly entitled to do so, but I just wish he would stick to performing the Eagles songs that he was part of recording. Just goes to show how strongly fans feel about these things and there will likely always be disagreement about this unfortunate piece of Eagles history.

WalshFan88
10-28-2012, 03:05 PM
When fans say that Felder got a crappy deal and was treated unfairly, I don’t know what specific information they used to form their opinions. Most of us have only heard Felder’s account of events, which, surely, everyone recognizes is his biased version.

There are two sides to every story, and usually the truth lies somewhere in the middle. No matter if Glenn/Don wrote a book too, it would be equally biased, but for their story. It certainly would help get to that "middle ground truth" if we could hear it though. But if they were to write a book, it would be just as biased as his was, just in the opposite direction.

Just like the people who rant on MSNBC vs Fox News, or Fox News vs MSNBC. They hate Fox for instance because they are biased, yet watch MSNBC who are equally biased, just in the opposite way in the way they like. Bias is bias. I prefer an unbiased version. But I know if they were to write a book, most would probably take it as the truth, rather than trying to find some middle ground where the truth lies.

-----------

As far as Glenn/Don being the most important members of the Eagles, sure I won't lie that their songwriting plays a big part of this band and are a key aspect. Same with Lennon/McCartney, Jagger/Richards, etc. But as frontmen, I see them as equals to the other band members. If they hadn't wrote anything for the band, I'd say they were no more important than any other member. But since they are a songwriting team, yes, I would be inclined to agree - although I still think, like you do, that the group is what made them what they are.

I've never understood why people (and there are LOTS of them) widely believe that the singer is the most irreplaceable member of a band, or that they are so much more important than the rest of the band. To me a singer is just as replaceable (or irreplaceable) as any other member. Obviously I'm alone or almost alone in that. I think this thought that they are the most important is what leads to LSD (Lead Singer's Disease! :D) and frontmen having such HUGE egos... Especially in big rock bands. You can have this talk about many bands that have lost their lead singer or where the lead singer quit, was fired, etc. Journey and Lynyrd Skynyrd being a great example.

Freypower
10-28-2012, 03:38 PM
Quote FP

With all due respect, that was MONTHS BEFORE the new album was released. I will check to see what his current set list is....... I'm sure he is doing a lot more of the new album these days....The album was just released, so before the release, he was doing Eagles songs, but I don't really see anything wrong with that. Like I said, he was an Eagle for over 25 years & I'm sure he wouldn't be doing the songs without permission to do so!

It was two months before the album release. It is the most recent setlist we have, I'm afraid. Therefore I do regard it as 'current' (but see edit below). I have no reason to believe his Troubadour setlist was any different. He is doing a couple of shows in November. You may be proved right then, but as yet this has not happened. In any case, I seriously doubt that all those Eagles songs will suddenly be droppped.

https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3876

https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3781

Nobody said anything about him doing the songs without permission. The issue is why he is doing so many including four he did not even play on originally.

I see you repeated the 'Eagle for over 25 years' statement. He was not an Eagle for the 14 years between the end of 1980 and 1994. This is not being pedantic; it is simple fact.

OK: I have found a setlist from October 20 at the Palms Casino Resort in Las Vegas:

http://www.setlist.fm/setlists/don-felder-3d6dd8f.html
Hotel California
Already Gone
One Of These Nights
Pride and Joy
Fall From The Grace Of Love (New)
Victim Of Love
Peaceful Easy Feeling
Tequila Sunrise
Over You (New)
Seven Bridges Road
Those Shoes
Girls In Black (New)
Heavy Metal
Wash Away The Pain (New)
The Long Run
Witchy Woman
Heartache Tonight
Life In The Fast Lane
Take It Easy (encore)
That is four new songs & most of the rest of it is old Eagles material.

Tiffanny Twisted
10-28-2012, 05:54 PM
Ok I agree with dreamer and fp. I think somepeople are missing the point

Yes there are a lot of bad feelings . Point being his show is done mostly of songs that are eagles songs...ones he didnt write or werent done in the time frame that he was an eagle. Thats why i said IJMO he reminded me of "Just another bar band doing covers":cheers:.
People who are going to his show want to hear whats on the new cd he put out and if he is only doing 4 songs from it...well thats just not right IMO.Plus I dont think hes really lead singer material again jmo.

The band moved on.....obviously he hasnt ....:woah:

TimothyBFan
10-28-2012, 07:37 PM
There are two sides to every story, and usually the truth lies somewhere in the middle. No matter if Glenn/Don wrote a book too, it would be equally biased, but for their story. It certainly would help get to that "middle ground truth" if we could hear it though. But if they were to write a book, it would be just as biased as his was, just in the opposite direction.

Just like the people who rant on MSNBC vs Fox News, or Fox News vs MSNBC. They hate Fox for instance because they are biased, yet watch MSNBC who are equally biased, just in the opposite way in the way they like. Bias is bias. I prefer an unbiased version. But I know if they were to write a book, most would probably take it as the truth, rather than trying to find some middle ground where the truth lies.

Isn't this the truth!! Very good point Austin!!!!!! One of which I totally agree with you on. And I sure do wish we could hear "the otherside" so we could get to that middle ground also.

I see both points regarding the setlist. When I go to a concert of an artist that has recently released an album, I want to hear that new stuff BUT I insist on hearing the old stuff also. That being said, I guess I understand why some would find it strange and downright ridiculous that he would be singing songs that were Eagles songs before he was an Eagle. Whatever. It is choice and most people who are paying to see him just want to hear him sing and play whatever he does.

People who are going to his show want to hear whats on the new cd he put out and if he is only doing 4 songs from it...well thats just not right IMO.Plus I dont think hes really lead singer material again jmo.

The band moved on.....obviously he hasnt ....:woah:

What got me about this argument was that wasn't this exact same thing being said about Joe when he was out touring right after Analog Man came out? I just don't remember it being argued about there quite as vehemently as it is being discussed here.

TimothyBFan
10-28-2012, 08:12 PM
OK...Just trying to sum it all up?????
I do agree with Frypower.
That being said.....

IJMO-I dont care for DF as a lead singer.(He"s no GF or FH).His talents lie in his guitar playing.

Reading over some more of this thread and this post really got my attention. It's probably none of my business because it wasn't aimed at me but I felt I must say something about it. I feel it was unfair and quite condescending to Austin--especially the parts I put in bold. And to be honest, I'm not even sure what point you were trying to make with "ya gotta stop waining...." :woah: HUH? Just what is waining? Am I being dense?

And as for "IJMO-I dont care for DF as a lead singer.(He"s no GF or FH).His talents lie in his guitar playing." I know you put IJMO but perhaps others feel his talents are just as worthy as "GF" and "FH" (Again, I'm just guessing here that you actually meant DH?) and they have as much right to defend that as you do in making your point over and over.

10-28-2012, 09:00 PM
What got me about this argument was that wasn't this exact same thing being said about Joe when he was out touring right after Analog Man came out? I just don't remember it being argued about there quite as vehemently as it is being discussed here.

Actually Willie, IIRC, there was quite a spirited debate about the Analog Man and After Hours tours setlists a few weeks ago. Unfortunately, I don't remember what thread the discussion was in so I can't link to it.

Well I partially agree with you here, Austin. But as one very wise singer once put it ... "There are three sides to every story - There's yours and there's mine, and the cold hard truth". I sure hope other members do decide to write their memoirs and if they do, I would expect them to be biased as well. I think it is human nature that each member would bring their own perspective to these events. However, I also hope that the fact-checkers do a better job with any future books than what happen with Felder's. But I can tell you if there are inaccuracies, inconsistencies, and contradictions in them, I will point them out since I am a stickler for the truth with these types of things. I can also say if any of them were to paint a picture that they were not responsible for any of the band's problems, then I'll call them out on that as well. I happen to think that all of the drama in the band was a group effort.

I've never understood why people (and there are LOTS of them) widely believe that the singer is the most irreplaceable member of a band, or that they are so much more important than the rest of the band. To me a singer is just as replaceable (or irreplaceable) as any other member. Obviously I'm alone or almost alone in that. I think this thought that they are the most important is what leads to LSD (Lead Singer's Disease! :D) and frontmen having such HUGE egos... Especially in big rock bands. You can have this talk about many bands that have lost their lead singer or where the lead singer quit, was fired, etc. Journey and Lynyrd Skynyrd being a great example.

I think it's probably because the lead singer is the one that is front and center i.e. the name frontman. It's the same kind of thing in football where the spotlight in generally on the QB. :shrug:

Freypower
10-28-2012, 09:04 PM
The discussion about the AM/AH setlists is here:

https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3838

Prettymaid
10-28-2012, 10:00 PM
And to be honest, I'm not even sure what point you were trying to make with "ya gotta stop waining...." :woah: HUH? Just what is waining? Am I being dense?

Lol! Willie, I think she means waning.

And I agree with you and Austin. He has every right to post about missing his favorite lineup. I can relate in that my memories of some of my favorite artists from 40 years ago seem more special, more magical, than how the artists seem to me now.

Freypower
10-28-2012, 10:16 PM
Lol! Willie, I think she means waning.

And I agree with you and Austin. He has every right to post about missing his favorite lineup. I can relate in that my memories of some of my favorite artists from 40 years ago seem more special, more magical, than how the artists seem to me now.

The word which was probably meant may have been 'pining'. Waning means fading away.

Prettymaid
10-28-2012, 10:19 PM
Agreed.

sodascouts
10-29-2012, 12:53 AM
I interpreted it - perhaps incorrectly - as a misspelling of "whining".

It's quite reasonable to miss Felder; he is very talented. It's also understandable that some people don't like him performing Eagles songs that he had no part in, considering how badly things ended between him and the band. I hope that we can try to see other people's perspectives even if we don't share them.

I wish there was a way to discuss Felder's music without all the acrimony about his departure from the band also coming up. Unfortunately, it seems that the two have become inextricable, so here we are in a thread that's supposed to be about the new album rehashing the same old arguments.

To be fair, though,"You Don't Have Me" didn't help matters any as it invites a revisitation of that time. I certainly understand why he would write about such a life-altering event, but I think the song's inclusion has distracted people from the rest of the songs.

TimothyBFan
10-29-2012, 08:50 AM
Forgive me if these have been posted (and I believe I remember us talking about it before) but I would like to see all the lyrics to You Don't Have Me. And do we or has he actually said that this song is about his departure from the Eagles? Just wondering if it's fact or speculation because it definitely sounds like it.

Topkat
10-29-2012, 09:13 AM
I see you repeated the 'Eagle for over 25 years' statement. He was not an Eagle for the 14 years between the end of 1980 and 1994. This is not being pedantic; it is simple fact.

That being the case, then why are the Eagles celebrating the 40th anniversary?? If he wasn't an Eagle between 1980- 1994, neither were anyone else! There was no Eagles at this time.

pueblo47
10-29-2012, 09:47 AM
I've often thought the same thing. So being realistic, it would be 26 years that they've been active as a band. Merely a moot point and unimportant but this board prides itself on precision and have long held a steady informative course, something to be commended on.

TimothyBFan
10-29-2012, 10:02 AM
That being the case, then why are the Eagles celebrating the 40th anniversary?? If he wasn't an Eagle between 1980- 1994, neither were anyone else! There was no Eagles at this time.

That's a pretty valid point. Hmmm....

How dare they celebrate a 40 year anniversary. :grin: They almost had me fooled. :lol:

timfan
10-29-2012, 10:48 AM

It's quite simply the difference between the band and the individual. The band's music was still active during the "break" so of course they'd be celebrating 40 years.. whether they were together is irrelevelant as the music has been played throughout.

10-29-2012, 11:07 AM
I wish there was a way to discuss Felder's music without all the acrimony about his departure from the band also coming up. Unfortunately, it seems that the two have become inextricable, so here we are in a thread that's supposed to be about the new album rehashing the same old arguments.

I agree. It's a shame that we can't just accept that the situation is what it is and move beyond it. After all, nobody's mind is likely to be changed no matter how many times we debate it.

Forgive me if these have been posted (and I believe I remember us talking about it before) but I would like to see all t
the lyrics to You Don't Have Me. And do we or has he actually said that this song is about his departure from the Eagles? Just wondering if it's fact or speculation because it definitely sounds like it.

Willie - They are on page 15 of this thread. I don't remember his exact words, but in several interviews prior to the albums release he indicated that there were songs on the album about that particular period in his life.

Brooke
10-29-2012, 11:08 AM
I'd thought of that too!

tf, I like your analysis of it! :cheers:

TimothyBFan
10-29-2012, 11:28 AM
It's quite simply the difference between the band and the individual. The band's music was still active during the "break" so of course they'd be celebrating 40 years.. whether they were together is irrelevelant as the music has been played throughout.

Keep in mind, I don't always "get it", would you mind explaining a little more in depth what you mean? I don't really get where your point explains why what TK said would be wrong. I think it's she has a very valid point that if we had all 5 members when they went on their "break" and 14 years later had the same 5 members when they resumed making music together again, that what's good for one of those members being an Eagle, then it's good for all 5 of them. Don was a member when they went on their break and was again a member when started up again. I get that their music was being played throughout and Don was included in that same music. :headscratch:

Topkat
10-29-2012, 11:41 AM
Well lets just chalk it up to the 14 year "vacation" LOL

Topkat
11-03-2012, 11:16 AM
Here's another article about Don!

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/hank-bordowitz/don-felder-eagles-_b_2065927.html

GlennLover
11-03-2012, 01:00 PM
Aren't they celebrating the anniversary of the date that the Eagles 1st released a record, 1972 & not that the band existed for all of the 40 yrs? (They were together in 1971). There are many celebrations of anniversaries of events that happened only one time. Regardless of how long or when they were together, it's still the 40th anniversary of when they started. I haven't heard any of them say or infer that they had been together for all of the 40 yrs.

Topkat
11-03-2012, 03:22 PM
I think an "anniversary" is being together that amount of time. For example would you celebrate an "anniversary" if you got divorced? No. The implication is together for X amount of years. Technically, it is not the 40th anniversary of the band, but I guess they don't count the 14 years they were "separated".
Even if they are celebrating the 40th anniversary of the bands first album release it would be '72, so 2012. The tour isn't going to be until 2013, so they are late on that one as well......But you know this is Eagle Time, not real time...LOL:woah::woah::woah:

sodascouts
11-03-2012, 07:16 PM
Aren't they celebrating the anniversary of the date that the Eagles 1st released a record, 1972 & not that the band existed for all of the 40 yrs? (They were together in 1971). There are many celebrations of anniversaries of events that happened only one time. Regardless of how long or when they were together, it's still the 40th anniversary of when they started. I haven't heard any of them say or infer that they had been together for all of the 40 yrs.

Good point. It is unfortunate the the Eagles missed the boat for making it an exact 40 and won't be on the road until 2013 but oh well, better late than never.

And TK, bands often celebrate "anniversaries" of release dates. I remember when Fleetwood Mac's The Dance came out, they talked about bringing the Rumours line-up back for the 20th anniversary of that album's release (Stevie and Lindsey had both previously left the band).

Topkat
11-03-2012, 07:35 PM
I thought this thread was about Felder's new album, not the 40th anniversary???? We have a thread for that, don't we?

sodascouts
11-03-2012, 09:42 PM
Good question, TK! Let's go back and look who brought it up!

oops! lol

Topkat
11-04-2012, 09:48 AM
Oops, sorry I didn't mean for this to go so far in that direction, but I think I was responding to another post with that answer, when someone said that Felder wasn't an Eagle for over 25 years; then it got onto the 40 year anniversary???
They are all timeless anyway!
Sorry. Let's get back on track:thumbsup:

VAisForEagleLovers
11-14-2012, 09:17 AM
TT just texted me with this bit of information. Don will be on the John DeBella show on Friday. They have a Listen Live link.

http://www.wmgk.com/

VAisForEagleLovers
11-14-2012, 08:41 PM
A good interview:

http://www.atlanticcityweekly.com/arts-and-entertainment/features/5-Questions-With--Don-Felder-interview-eagles-179336401.html

Topkat
11-17-2012, 05:57 PM
VA, Thanks for posting that great interview with Don. Sounds like he is happy & doing his thing.:thumbsup:

VAisForEagleLovers
11-19-2012, 09:48 PM
Another interview...

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-207_162-57551939/don-felder-former-eagles-guitarist-returns-with-first-new-solo-album-in-nearly-30-years/

11-19-2012, 10:23 PM
Thanks VA. Good interview and I love that picture!

Topkat
11-20-2012, 05:26 PM
Another nice aticle on Don Felder & the new album

http://mmusicmag.com/m/2012/11/don-felder/

Tiffanny Twisted
11-21-2012, 09:11 AM
side note,
yesterday in the mail arrived the flyer for the month of nov and dec (hey the month is half gone) for the golden nugget with an advertisment for the fomer eagle DOn Felder a night at the hotel calif.
NO menton of his new cd....just what he persieves as his greatedst achievment.:computer:

Topkat
11-21-2012, 09:59 AM
TT: Don doesn't write the articles or the promos, so whatever they write up or mention is the author, not Don Felder. :) So it is their perception of his achievements.

11-21-2012, 12:21 PM
I believe it is customary for artists or their agents to provide a brief bio when they sign on to play at a venue to be used for promotional advertising of the event.

ETA: Actually, after I posted this, I remembered seeing the site of a booking agent for Felder before, so I did a web search and came up with these ...

http://delafont.com/music_acts/don-felder.htm

http://www.celebritytalent.net/sampletalent/1130/don-felder-(of-the-eagles)/

Topkat
11-21-2012, 04:28 PM
Well those Bio's were obviously done before Don finished & released the new album because one mentions that he was working on a new album, & the other says nothing about it, so they are a little outdated.

If the venue mentions the new album or not, I doubt that Don really has much say as to what is run in the ad for his show. Artists don't see everything written for the show & it's most likely done without his approval.

11-21-2012, 10:16 PM
TK – I think you are missing my point and are twisting my words. Your first post said …

TT: Don doesn't write the articles or the promos, so whatever they write up or mention is the author, not Don Felder. :) So it is their perception of his achievements.

The artist or the booking agent they employ do normally provide the profile information that is used in writing the marketing and advertising material about the artist for a show. While the promoter actually writes and publishes these materials, any attempt by them to change the profile would be unethical at best.

Well those Bio's were obviously done before Don finished & released the new album because one mentions that he was working on a new album, & the other says nothing about it, so they are a little outdated.

That may be the case, but that was not what your original post said and not what I was responding to. In any event, it is the still the ultimate responsibility of the artist to ensure that their personal information is accurate.

If the venue mentions the new album or not, I doubt that Don really has much say as to what is run in the ad for his show. Artists don't see everything written for the show & it's most likely done without his approval.

… or not. I'm not sure what your source of information is, but I have it on very good authority that this is not the standard practice. If the artist chooses not to provide a bio profile or not to approve the materials, then that is their prerogative. However, that does not mean they aren’t responsible for incorrect or misleading information in the promotional materials.

Topkat
11-22-2012, 08:52 AM
TK – I think you are missing my point and are twisting my words. Your first post said …

The artist or the booking agent they employ do normally provide the profile information that is used in writing the marketing and advertising material about the artist for a show. While the promoter actually writes and publishes these materials, any attempt by them to change the profile would be unethical at best.

That may be the case, but that was not what your original post said and not what I was responding to. In any event, it is the still the ultimate responsibility of the artist to ensure that their personal information is accurate.

… or not. I'm not sure what your source of information is, but I have it on very good authority that this is not the standard practice. If the artist chooses not to provide a bio profile or not to approve the materials, then that is their prerogative. However, that does not mean they aren’t responsible for incorrect or misleading information in the promotional materials.

VA: I don't see how an artist can possibly be responsible for what others write about them??? That is just not possible. Writers write about artists all the time & not everything is accurate.
Weren't we just discussing how the Vegas writer was tooting a 30 song, 3 hour Eagles set in Vegas, which is also totally not true?

I don't even know what this debate is even about anymore... that Felder's new album isn't mentioned in his promos for his shows??? It's not such a big deal. I don't see that the information was inaccurate?

VAisForEagleLovers
11-22-2012, 11:52 AM
Personally, I think it's different with each thing you read. The venues tend to publish what's handed to them by the booking agent, but even so I know that's not 100%. Ruth Eckherd Hall had our own glennfreyonline.com as his official website until I sent several emails directing them to the real official site. What newspapers publish as promotion, I'm not sure who provides that, the booking agent or the venue, and it could be different depending on how the artist is getting paid (flat fee or percentage of the 'door') At any rate, those are often incorrect as they list songs that won't be sung at all (it's one thing to say the artist is known for a song, but some are worded as 'songs you'll hear').

It all comes down to there's what the artist may or may not want out there, and the level of details they feel they need to approve. After that, it's merely someone's job and I've been disappointed at the huge number of errors I've seen in promotions, reviews, and actual 'journalism' articles for all artists.

Freypower
11-22-2012, 05:32 PM
Personally, I think it's different with each thing you read. The venues tend to publish what's handed to them by the booking agent, but even so I know that's not 100%. Ruth Eckherd Hall had our own glennfreyonline.com as his official website until I sent several emails directing them to the real official site. What newspapers publish as promotion, I'm not sure who provides that, the booking agent or the venue, and it could be different depending on how the artist is getting paid (flat fee or percentage of the 'door') At any rate, those are often incorrect as they list songs that won't be sung at all (it's one thing to say the artist is known for a song, but some are worded as 'songs you'll hear').

It all comes down to there's what the artist may or may not want out there, and the level of details they feel they need to approve. After that, it's merely someone's job and I've been disappointed at the huge number of errors I've seen in promotions, reviews, and actual 'journalism' articles for all artists.

We just saw that in the article about Glenn's New Zealand shows. 'Songs you'll hear' included Hotel California, Life In The Fast Lane & Witchy Woman.

Also the Felder situation involves promotional material so it is not just 'a writer'. Promotional material as others have pointed out has to have at least some degree of cooperation & knowledge from the artist.

VAisForEagleLovers
11-22-2012, 08:42 PM
Of course, what's hard to get past is that the promotional material was sent out the week after the show...