PDA

View Full Version : Veteran's Day

Henley Honey
11-11-2011, 06:29 PM
I'd like to acknowledge and thank -- especially today -- all the men and women who give so selflessly of themselves to ensure our freedom and liberty. I thank you.

Everyone should take a little time out of their busy day and tell any Vet -- "Thank you for your service and sacrifice."

Never take liberty and freedom for granted.

Glennhoney
11-11-2011, 07:25 PM
Remembrance Day is actually a holiday here....there was a mass and celebration of wreaths at our church this morning, followed by a dinner and dance at the local Legion, all to say "THANK YOU" to our war veterans and to the present soldiers who are still fighting for their country today..:thumbsup:

timfan
11-11-2011, 07:53 PM
Somehow it seems appropriate to post this here... Ms Baez wrote this song for and about veterans from the Vietnam war times, but it certainly speaks about all wars and vets...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ugZyKAVbuLc

VAisForEagleLovers
11-11-2011, 09:07 PM
I like this thread. Freedom isn't free.

sodascouts
11-12-2011, 02:09 PM
I'm a day late, but I'd also like to express my appreciation for the men and women who risk - and often sacrifice - their lives to protect the rest of us.

Ive always been a dreamer
11-13-2011, 12:01 AM
I echo what everyone has said here. Our freedom and liberty is priceless, and so is the sacrifice that those in the armed forces make to protect us.

Prettymaid
11-13-2011, 05:15 PM
Amen Sisters! Freedom is not free.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-IjDdfau-M&feature=related

Glennsallnighter
11-18-2011, 08:23 AM
In the UK, the Sunday closest to 11 November is designated 'Remembrance Sunday' and there are various commemorations in different places over the day to acknowledge the sacrifice of the people who fought in the World wars and more recent wars.

Over here is is somewhat different. We were officially neutral for the two World Ways, and our Army tend to send soldiers through Unifil as peace keepers in volatile areas (like the Lebanon, Liberia, Kosovo, Congo to mention a few) over the years. We have a Sunday in July when we acknowledge the contribution these people make.

However, in more recent years, we Have started to recognise the fact that even though officially neutral, many Irish men joined the British Army and fought in the two World Wars (including an Uncle of mine nd my childrens great grandfather). Historically hostile relations between Ireland and the UK, meant that this fact was swept under the carpet for a long time.

However now these people are indeed being acknowledged by various ceremonies across the State on Remenbrance Sunday. And High Time too I say.

Prettymaid
11-18-2011, 08:57 AM
Very interesting GA. Thanks!