PDA

View Full Version : New Music Recommendations - Songs

sodascouts
11-12-2011, 01:50 PM
Sometimes I worry that I get so caught up in classic rock that I miss out on new releases.

Any recommendations on new music (as in, from the past couple years)? I'm looking for recommended songs specifically, not just artists, because then I can go listen to them on something like YouTube or Spotify and see if I like them! I figure I must not be the only one who wants to do this, so I started this thread!

A few new/relatively new songs that I'm enjoying:

Adele - "Rolling in the Deep" and "Set Fire to the Rain"
Florence + the Machine - "Cosmic Love"
Bruno Mars - "Grenade"
Usher - "More"

Windeagle
11-13-2011, 08:26 PM
I'm currently loving "Time Spent in Los Angeles" by Dawes. It reminds me of early Jackson Browne.

sodascouts
11-13-2011, 09:10 PM
High praise! I'll have to check Dawes out on YouTube.

jdubfan
11-13-2011, 11:24 PM
Obviously I'm a geetar lovin' gal, especially blues. So these may not flip yer skirt up, but they do me good...

Lukas Nelson & Promise of the Real - Peaceful Solution or The Truth
(Willie's boy, seen him @FarmAid couple yrs ago and he rocked)

Opie Gone Bad - Big Mess or Stones cover of Sympathy for the Devil
(My bro copied Live @ Red Rocks for me while I was in CO, they are big there. Punk, funk, jazz, fusion, rock, blues, they do it all)

Davy Knowles/Back Door Slam - Come Home or Outside Woman Blues
(kid from UK, singer/player/writer combo)

Joanne Shaw Taylor - Bones or White Sugar
(amazon recommend, said if SRV and Dusty Springfield had a luv child, she would sound like this, so I was intrigued. Like her playing better than her voice, but she's also singer/writer/player w/some ability)

I suppose these folks all have youtube videos too.

TimothyBFan
11-14-2011, 11:19 AM
Absolutely loving the new single from Nickelback called When We Stand Together. A bit different for them and the lyrics are great!! Anxiously awaiting the album release.

Maleah
11-14-2011, 07:24 PM
Oh gosh, I could say all of Adele's newest album! My fav.'s on there, besides the ones you mentioned, would have to be:

Rumour Has It
Turning Tables
Someone Like You
One and Only

Miranda Lambert - House That Built Me (SUCH a gorgeous song! Not exactly NEW new....but I still consider it a newer song lol)

Kelly Clarkson - Mr. Know It All
Why Don't You Try

Marc Broussard - Lucky

Zac Brown Band - Colder Weather

Gavin DeGraw - Not Over You (didn't like it when I first heard it but one of my coworkers LOVES it so it got stuck in my mind lol)

Taylor Swift - Mean (not normally a huge fan but love this song)

Rascal Flatts - I Won't Let Go (another gorgeous song that I absolutely love)

Sean Hayes - Powerful Stuff (heard this on a commercial actually! catchy)

I'm sure there's a lot more but that's what I can think of right now lol

Prettymaid
11-14-2011, 09:48 PM
I'm currently loving "Time Spent in Los Angeles" by Dawes. It reminds me of early Jackson Browne.

High praise! I'll have to check it out!

sodascouts
11-14-2011, 09:56 PM
Thanks for all these suggestions. I plan on listening to each and every one.

Troubadour
11-17-2011, 03:12 PM
Paolo Nutini - Comin' Up Easy/Candy/Last Request/Million Faces/Caledonia

Beth Hart - Soulshine (An awesome cover version, though it's hard to beat Gregg Allman's soulful rasp! Beth has an amazing voice. She has just released an album with Joe Bonamassa, which is really bluesy and well worth a listen.)

The Kooks - Ooh La

The Killers - Sam's Town

Plan B - Writing's On The Wall/She Said/Prayin'

Zac Brown Band - Colder Weather/Highway 20 Ride

Fleet Foxes - White Winter Hymnal/He Doesn't Know Why/Mykonos

sodascouts
11-17-2011, 03:47 PM
Based on your earlier recommendation on Facebook, Lou, I got Beth Hart's "Well Well" and "I'd Rather Go Blind." Good stuff!

Troubadour
11-17-2011, 05:10 PM
Excellent! She really is amazing. Very rocky, soulful and bluesy. Joplin-esque. "Am I The One?" is the song that got me into her music.

Maleah
11-19-2011, 12:53 AM
I'd never heard of Beth Hart before you mentioned her here but I just checked her out! I love her voice!!!!!!! A bluesy voice is my favorite and she's definitely got it! :)

sodascouts
02-22-2012, 11:21 PM
This song really impressed me - Christina Perri's "Jar of Hearts":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8v_4O44sfjM

Maleah
02-23-2012, 01:26 AM
It's a very well written song! Also a very cool story as to how it came about being released as a single.

sodascouts
02-23-2012, 02:04 AM
Now you've got me curious! What's the story?

Maleah
02-24-2012, 02:24 AM
Well a friend of hers sent a rough demo of it to the So You Think You Can Dance choreographer and basically said "hey I think my friend's song would be great on your show." She was unsigned at the time. Anyway, it was released as a single a week after it was on the show. It went up the itunes chart pretty fast I think. I think it ended up selling somewhere between 45,000 - 50,000. I just thought it was cool that here she was, an unknown/unsigned artist who happened to write and record a really awesome song, and it ends up getting into the hands of the right person and instantly makes her a contender in the music business.

sodascouts
02-24-2012, 03:25 AM
Oh, that definitely is cool!

Windeagle
02-24-2012, 09:32 AM
"Jar of Hearts" is one of my daughter's all-time favorite songs.

Ive always been a dreamer
02-24-2012, 11:56 AM
Wow! I'm impressed too and I love that story!!!

Maleah
02-26-2012, 02:47 AM
Not really "new" music, but this song has been stuck in my head for literally a week and I just watched this live version and was again amazed by the fantastic Adele! Would LOVE to see her live!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ri7-vnrJD3k

Maleah
02-26-2012, 02:52 AM
I also have to say, I think she is a fantastic songwriter! Someone Like You has become one of my all-time favorite songs. I think pretty much her entire "21" album is amazing. I think there's only one song that I don't listen to very much.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAc83CF8Ejk&feature=channel

Maleah
02-26-2012, 03:02 AM
ALSO, someone else I've been listening to lately.....The Civil Wars. I saw them sing this on the Grammy's and got addicted to the song. Later I found out that they're actually opening for Adele. lol
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ODOOo-R6kg8

sodascouts
02-26-2012, 05:24 PM
I like it! Thanks for another great rec. I have purchased almost every song you have mentioned in this thread!

Maleah
02-26-2012, 07:23 PM
I like it! Thanks for another great rec. I have purchased almost every song you have mentioned in this thread!

Really? That's awesome! I'm glad someone shares my musical tastes, outside of the Eagles I mean. :D I must say though....I'm curious as to which ones since you threw that "almost" in there. ;)

sodascouts
02-26-2012, 08:05 PM
The only ones I didn't get were the Taylor Swift and Rascal Flatts ones. I'm just not into Taylor Swift and I can't think of Rascal Flatts without remembering how they butchered "Hotel California" and "Life at the Fast Lane" (especially the latter) at the Grammys a few years ago.

Perhaps I'm being too hard on them; folks can judge for themselves.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8uw9oBCq7iQ

Maleah
02-26-2012, 09:39 PM
LOL! I'm not usually a big fan of Taylor's voice, although she's a great songwriter and I love her personality. Gary (lead singer of Rascal Flatts) seems to be a love/hate thing for people. lol I love it, but maybe it's an acquired taste thing as well. ;)

TimothyBFan
04-17-2012, 02:26 PM
OK --Maybe I'm late to this one but I don't believe I've seen her listed before. Her name is Lissie and she has an amazing voice. She was introduced to me via one of my FB friends. She's kinda folksy and has done some amazing covers. Here's few I hope you'll check out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5AuXf2qaJjY&feature=share

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uk0R3UHssDE&feature=related

This is beautiful.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5GMDmeiITF4&feature=related

sodascouts
04-17-2012, 03:41 PM
I'm always up for new recommendations. Thanks, Willie!

Troubadour
04-18-2012, 02:41 PM
Loving The Script at the moment.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1C57RMXdeK8

I also love Venice. They have beautiful harmonies and are inspired by all the people I love - Joni Mitchell, CSN, Eagles, Jackson Browne, etc. This is a beautiful song of theirs. It's a bit weepy, but comforting, too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zcEURhzbbA8&feature=results_video&playnext=1&list=PL0FFBEEC921F0E4D8

Windeagle
04-18-2012, 03:43 PM
I just went to see the Avett Brothers last night. Great show. They're very rootsy, kind of Mumford & Sons crossed with the early California bands. Here's my current favorite of theirs:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t43VgJ4U9_Q

Maleah
04-19-2012, 01:14 AM
I've only heard one song by the Avett Brothers, other than the one you listed of course, and it is "Shame." I really like it!

I've really been enjoying "Somebody That I Used To Know" by Gotye. It kind of has a vintage, old school vibe that I really like. Weird video though. lol
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8UVNT4wvIGY

I also think that "We Are Young" by Fun. has a ridiculously catchy chorus. I'll suffer through the rest of it just to listen to that part each time. lol
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sv6dMFF_yts&ob=av2n

Aaaaand not new music at ALL (sorry!) but I've been getting teased at work a bit because I am on a HUGE Lionel Richie kick lately. There's a select few artists that I'll listen to something of theirs and it just suddenly hits me (sometimes after hearing them many times!)..."holy crap...I LOVE their voice!" Don Henley & The Eagles were one. Elton John was one. Lionel Richie is now one. lol What probably kicked it into gear was watching the special with him and several country artists.
I thought him and Kenny Rogers were absolutely adorable together, you can tell they're close friends.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ga1gyaEiuzY

And I'm not normally much of a Jennifer Nettles fan, but doggone it I don't understand how she can normally duet well with ANYONE in spite of her very unique voice. She has a long of "twang" but I thought they nailed "Hello" together.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fvtN6lzXEM

Brooke
04-19-2012, 10:22 AM
I really enjoyed that show too Maleah! At first I was thinking why is he trying to go country? But as we watched the show I remembered how many hits this guy had and just loved listening to them. They really didn't sound country even though country artists were doing a lot of the performing.

I find myself wanting to download some of them now! I think I have an old cassette tape of some of them! :lol:

Maleah
04-19-2012, 12:12 PM
LOL I'm glad it wasn't just me Brooke! I LOVED it! He's just got such an easy, charismatic way about him, that I loved watching him perform. And I didn't realize how many hits he had! And I actually thought a lot of them sounded really good together!

Brooke
04-19-2012, 01:20 PM
Yeah, he seems like a really nice guy. My husband commented that it seemed effortless for him to sing. So natural and easy. Like Sunday morning. :wink:

sodascouts
04-19-2012, 04:57 PM
I love this thread because with my emusic subscription, I can add all these songs to my collection for a low price. I love getting introduced to new stuff.

Maleah
04-19-2012, 04:58 PM
lol! Well played Brooke. ;) that's the same thing my sister said too, how effortless it seemed for him!

Maleah
04-19-2012, 08:12 PM
I'm not sure I've ever heard of emusic Soda! Anything that includes the words "low price" sounds good though. ;)

sodascouts
04-19-2012, 08:39 PM
It's just a typical subscription service - pay $13 a month and you can download about 15-20 songs per month. The only problem is that they don't have everything you might want, and if you don't have 15 songs you wanna download, the money goes bye-bye (there's no carry over from one month to the next). On the other hand, needing to pick 15 songs a month makes me look out for new recommendations and try new music - definitely a good thing.

Maleah
04-19-2012, 08:41 PM
Oh nice! I can see where a thread like this would be very helpful then! lol

Freypower
04-19-2012, 08:48 PM
Gotye is Australian, if anyone is interested (although born in Belgium). Apparently it's the first Number One single for a solo Australian act in the US since Olivia Newton-John back in the 80s. The one prior to that was Savage Garden who were a duo.

mustangkim11
04-24-2012, 10:23 PM
Bon Iver is amazing. I had never heard of this band before and I found out about them on Twitter. My favorite actor (Tom Hiddleston) loves them and because he tweets about them often. I had to go and check them out. I really like their sound. They're folky and the singer's voice just stirs something in me and his playing is phenomenal. Check out 'Holocene' from their latest release. It is breathtaking.

I'm also listening 'Not The Weapon But The Hand' which is by Steve Hogarth (Marillion) and Richard Barbieri (Porcupine Tree.) It's in the ambient style of music. I really like it. I feel like I'm going into a trance when I listen to it. If ambient is your bag, then check this one out.

I'm also very into techno and alternative. I am a fan of a guy named Dean Garcia. He was formerly in a band called Curve and now has done an array of new material with various artists. My fav new band at this point in time is SPC-ECO and Dean is in this band. If you like alternative, shoe gaze music heavy with guitars and multi-layering, then this is for you. (Think Nine Inch Nails, that sort of thing.)

Not quite as new but still good is John Wetton's 'Raised in Captivity'. John released this solo effort last June and my favorite cut on this is 'Lost For Words." John is the lead singer/bassist in Asia as well as U.K.

Laura Jansen is another singer that I've come to adore. I also found out about her from Twitter (Tom Hiddleston again) and her music is based around strong piano with some keyboards in it. I really like her voice quite a lot. She actually reminds me of Lucy Walsh.

Speaking of Lucy Walsh, I downloaded her EP '1882' and cannot stop listening. She has a phenomenal voice and is a great musician. I hear she's working on a new full length album which I will be getting whenever that releases.

And finally the stirring and epic "Titanic Requiem' which was composed by Robin Gibb and his son RJ Gibb. The Royal Philharmonic Orchestra played on it and this was released 3/26 in time for the 100th Anniversary of the Titanic. It is phenomenally good and I highly recommend it. (I'm not a huge fan of classical music but Robin and RJ did one helluva job with this one.)

sodascouts
04-25-2012, 12:15 AM
Thanks for the recs! I've run out of money on emusic this month but I'll keep these for the next one!

WalshFan88
05-28-2012, 01:36 PM
Surprisingly I'm a Keith Urban fan.... Being a classic rock purist there are VERY, very few modern artists or records I can say I truly like. Keith somehow makes the cut. :hilarious: His latest album, Get Closer, has a lot of great songs on it.

One of my faves is "You Gonna Fly". Really like that song.

I also am really enjoying the latest Slash solo album. I was not a big fan of his first solo album to be honest, although I love GnR and really like Velvet Revolver. But this latest album, Apocalyptic Love, is fantastic and more old school. From that record I'd recommend the title track. I love that album.

lizzyplays
06-02-2012, 12:25 PM
I also am really enjoying the latest Slash solo album. I was not a big fan of his first solo album to be honest, although I love GnR and really like Velvet Revolver. But this latest album, Apocalyptic Love, is fantastic and more old school. From that record I'd recommend the title track. I love that album.

:inlove::inlove::inlove:

I'm with you, Austin. Wasn't impressed with his first solo attempt, will always love GnR and LOVE Velvet Revolver... but this album, he hits out of the park! It's just good old rock and roll with Slash signature riffs all over it. And Myles... what a perfect choice to sing! I wasn't so sure at first... but he's won me over.

Obsessed. Yes I am.

sodascouts
03-02-2013, 10:48 PM
Need more recs guys... I missed my chance for February and I don't want to screw up March as well!

NYC Fan
03-18-2013, 10:13 PM
I highly recommend Josh Ritter's new album, The Beast in its Tracks. It's a beautiful and emotional set of songs about the divorce that he went through a few years ago, but ends on a hopeful note, as happily for him, he met someone new and became a dad. He's a wonderful songwriter and one of the best live performers that I've seen. If you want to check the various albums out before buying, he puts them up on the website so you can hear them and also gives some mp3's away as well, if you join his e-mail list.

http://www.joshritter.com/music/

Favorite albums of mine are Hello Starling, The Animal Years and So Runs the World Away, but they are all good. The live ones are great as well, as his energy comes through more than on the studio albums.

He's just started a tour as well, so if he comes through your town, I would say go! Seeing him in concert and the joy in his performance makes you remember why you love music in the first place. And every ticket purchased comes with a free download of the new album.

Erin

zeldabjr
03-19-2013, 01:14 AM
I just looked at his tour schedule and he's going to be in Buffalo on 4/13...I will try to go...

NYC Fan
03-19-2013, 09:57 AM
I just looked at his tour schedule and he's going to be in Buffalo on 4/13...I will try to go...

I hope you do get to go! I've taken quite a few friends over the last few years to see Josh and they have all loved seeing him in concert. He's just a happy guy, and puts so much into his performance.

He recently played in NYC and NPR streamed it live. It's still up on their website, if you want to check it out.

http://www.npr.org/event/music/172415060/npr-music-presents-josh-ritter-in-concert?live=1