PDA

View Full Version : Teachers Bully Special Needs Student

sodascouts
11-17-2011, 09:35 PM
http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/45302947/ns/today-parenting/#.TsW2BvI9FnS

UNBELIEVABLE.

VAisForEagleLovers
11-17-2011, 09:50 PM
I know, I saw this on MSN yesterday. I couldn't believe it, I really couldn't. And you know if they bullied her, they bullied others as well.

Prettymaid
11-17-2011, 09:54 PM
I don't even know what to say to that.

Glennsallnighter
11-18-2011, 08:12 AM
That incident is and was indeed disgraceful. There is no way that any child should have to go through this kind of treatment. As a teacher, i would consider that my job is to encourage every student to do the best he or she can, and also to make school feel like a place where they feel happy and secure as much as possible.

That said, and please realise I am in NO WAY defending either of the individuals concerened, as a student teacher I had NO training in dealng with special needs children other than 'do your best with them sit them near the front, develop a programme that suits their needs -oh and get them through the State Exams as well as you can' Maybe its part of teacher training now, but there was a very laisez faire attitude to it when I was training.

There was a recommendation that the assistant get 8 hours bullying training. I have received NO formal training in how to recognise or deal with bullying - save of reading the school Bullying policy. Most of what I know has been picked up by reading, or experience.

What I suppose i'm saying is that teachers should be properly trained in the first place to deal with SN students so that they do not c=become so fustrated on the job as to let an incident like this happen again. I'm sure teacher training is better in the States.

Brooke
11-18-2011, 11:08 AM
That is just terrible.

TimothyBFan
11-18-2011, 11:17 AM
So very sad and shocking!! Hope something is done.