PDA

View Full Version : Dear Loathsome Trade Hacks....

sodascouts
04-04-2007, 09:52 PM
This is probably old news to most, but it's the first time I've seen it.

Dear Loathsome Trade Hacks (http://www.counterpunch.org/henleyhits.html)

--------------------------

:rofl: :lol: :rofl:

Freypower
04-04-2007, 11:36 PM
I understand what he is saying, but I'm afraid that for the past six years I haven't noticed a lot of 'starry-eyed idealism' from him or his colleagues regarding 'art' or 'culture' or even 'authenticity'. In that time he has made one (in my opinion) very disappointing album while with his colleagues he has produced the grand total of five songs, only four of which have actually been recorded (because we don't know about ODAAT).

DonFan
04-04-2007, 11:41 PM
I'm afraid I don't understand exactly what you are saying, FP.

Freypower
04-04-2007, 11:43 PM
I think that instead of railing so bitterly against evil record corporations perhaps he and his colleagues should produce some of this 'culture' he talks about. The wait has been long. They are beholden to no record company. No-one is stopping them from releasing this album except themselves.

DonFan
04-04-2007, 11:54 PM
Yep, a new album full of "culture" would be welcome about now.

sodascouts
04-05-2007, 12:28 AM
I think we're all hoping to get a new album, but I'm not going to get all agitated if it doesn't materialize as soon as we'd hoped. It's their name that's going on this album, and if they feel it needs more work, then I'm not going to act as if they don't have a right to do so.

It's kind of like how I told my major prof that I'd have my dissertation finished by May, and right now it looks like it MIGHT be finished in September. I HOPE. So.... I'm not going to be judging anybody.

Of course it's understandable that there is disappointment, but we don't have any control over what they do, so it's not really constructive to dwell on frustrated hopes. If one allows oneself to dwell on such things too long, it's easy to descend from frustration to anger and resentment, things that make you forget how much you love their music - what drew you to them in the first place.

I look at it this way. A later album gives me more time to save up my money for a tour. Maybe I can even save enough to get a ILAA seat for more than one show! ;)

Freypower
04-05-2007, 01:08 AM
Well, I agree with this, of course. Occasionally my latent cynicism rises to the surface - with everything, not just this, it's just that this is on my mind at the moment (as it always is). I'm sure that the album will be worth the wait - in fact the longer we wait the sweeter the end result will be, I hope!

glenneaglesfan
04-05-2007, 06:19 AM
To my mind, there has been a lot of hype about the new album. All that we really know from the band members themselves is that Joe estimated it may be out in the autumn and Glenn actually said to you three at Pebble Beach that they were still working on ILTWAWD. Until an official release date is announced, I am content with what brought me here in the first place, the classic music that we already have.

Reading that letter reminds me that Don has a very witty and caustic sense of humour!

DonFan
04-05-2007, 07:58 AM
Reading that letter reminds me that Don has a very witty and caustic sense of humour!

He really does! It is part of his charm.
He blasts the hell out of them and then signs it "Love & Kisses." :wink:

Maleah
04-05-2007, 10:51 AM
:laugh: I love Don's humor!

Regarding the album......I completely understand that they want it to meet THEIR standards and wish to wait until it does. The only thing that annoys me is then they shouldn't lead anyone one. Don should never have said the album would be out in 60-90 days if he wasn't absolutely sure because all that's going to do is get people's hopes up and then crush them.

Brooke
04-05-2007, 03:42 PM
Wow. I was thinking that maybe that letter was a joke! :shock:

Don does have a way with words and I wish he would use it on his music!

Yeah, I'm disappointed that the album and tour have been backed up yet again, but like GEF, I am content with the classics.

Actually, if they NEVER make another album, it will be ok. My life will go on, listening to the classics still. If they end up riding off into the sunset, like one of them said, I'll still listen to the classics. :)

timfan
04-05-2007, 04:37 PM
Actually, if they NEVER make another album, it will be ok. My life will go on, listening to the classics still. If they end up riding off into the sunset, like one of them said, I'll still listen to the classics. :)

I am in full agreement with this sentiment :) . I have always felt extremely lucky as a fan, to have had so many great songs from the Eagles to enjoy. This will not change whether they put out and new album or not, we will always have the many Eagles classics. :D

sodascouts
04-05-2007, 05:54 PM
Regarding the album......I completely understand that they want it to meet THEIR standards and wish to wait until it does. The only thing that annoys me is then they shouldn't lead anyone one. Don should never have said the album would be out in 60-90 days if he wasn't absolutely sure because all that's going to do is get people's hopes up and then crush them.

Yes, as I said, disappointment is completely understandable. I'm disappointed, too. I just think life's too short to dwell on it to the point where your disappointment turns into something uglier. I think, if we try, we can still enjoy life without an Eagles album, lol.

JMHO.

Ive always been a dreamer
04-05-2007, 09:23 PM
OMG - that letter is too funny. I love how Don 'reams them a new one' in the letter and then signs it "Love and Kisses."

With regard to the new album, I said it months ago in another thread here that I will believe release dates and tour dates only when there is an official announcement from the band itself. Any other information, speculation, rumor from any other source is unreliable as far as I'm concerned. When the band members themselves are inconsistent in their remarks regarding dates that is a pretty clear indication that they don't have one. Since I haven't had any real expectations, I'm not too disappointed or surprised.

Personally, for me, I'd rather have no new album than an inferior product. While I can never have enough tours, I'll can understand why they want to have some new song ready before they tour again.

Maleah
04-06-2007, 01:11 AM

Yes, as I said, disappointment is completely understandable. I'm disappointed, too. I just think life's too short to dwell on it to the point where your disappointment turns into something uglier. I think, if we try, we can still enjoy life without an Eagles album, lol.

JMHO.

I completely agree! I didn't mean I was crushed by the way ;) but I do know some people who were counting on it very much. Like someone else said.......I could go on just listening to the classics and be happy! BUT.............I was looking very much forward to the tour and seeing them for the first time ;) But no worries.....I'm sure that day will come someday. And if not........well.....there's always Keith, Wynonna, Rascal Flatts, John Mayer, Jonny Lang, Martina McBride, Marc Broussard..........er.......well let's just say there's a lot of artists that I'd still love to see :laugh:

ANYWAYS...............like I said.....I completely agree with everything you said.

This doesn't really have anything to do with the topic, but I wonder which artists Don and the rest of the Eagles really like now days. :twisted: I mean, obviously they're fans of the Chicks and Sheryl Crow (well, at least Don is lol), John Mayer, etc..... but I was just curious. OH........and I was just reading in a book that Don tried to pursue Sheryl when she first became his backup singer :laugh:

Wow........I really went off topic a lot in this post :?