PDA

View Full Version : TBS-BellyUp; Solana Beach,CA-11/28/2011

carol7lynn
11-29-2011, 06:49 PM
I got to the venue around fourish in the afternoon after an uneventful two hour drive from the Inland Empire. I had no problem finding a free primo parking spot in the venue’s parking lot and, since there was no line outside the venue, I sat in my car for about an hour working the Sunday N.Y. Times crossword puzzle (no not in ink) waiting for a decent time to eat dinner.

No Timmy sightings to report, but I did see one of his backup singers park her black Mercedes and enter the building around four-thirty. I don;t know her name but she's the one with the Lindsey Buckingham hair-cut. LOL! About ten minutes later Matt Grundy, TBS’s opening act, parked his road-weary Ford Econoline van two spots from mine. Things started to gear-up at that point and Rock ‘n Roll was definitely in the air. :rockon:

Aside: Matt did an excellent job. Turns out he played bass for ten years with Donovan Frankenreiter who eventually encouraged Matt to go solo and become his opening act, in of all places-Japan. Very sensitive-very insightful-a little country-a little soul-a little rock 'n roll but mostly very courageous. Just a man and his six-string trying to be heard. :rockguitar: Especially like his laid-back version of CCR's classic hit "Fortunate Son."

I ended up eating dinner at the Wild Note Café after all-best Cesar salad ever- but I did it on the cheap! Ten bucks-not bad considering the cheapest entrée was $13 and everything, and I mean everything from soup to nuts, was extra. But, I didn’t get away as cheap as the chatty couple I met from San Diego, Dawn and Mike, who waited with me in the restaurant’s early access area and ending up sitting with me for the rest of the night.

Dawn and Mike proudly told me, as we were waiting to gain access to the venue, that they simply walked right through the restaurant without buying so much as an appetizer, and the wait-staff never even batted an eye as they breezed past! Pretty slick-wish I’d have thought of that. Kudos Mike and Dawn.

Mike, of Mike and Dawn, it turned out, plays drums in a band with Michael Thompson’s brother and Michael T. got them backstage access to the Eagle’s November 5th MGM Grand show. They had tons of pixs, including one of Timmy’s on-stage guitar collection that had a “No Smoking” sign affixed to the top of the case that they were stored in. They didn’t get to meet the Eagles that night, but they did get some guitar picks-including one of TBS’s- not to mention their much prized souvenir back-stage passes which I'm sure they'll cherish forever. Awesome.

I was the first one in the venue but elected to sit with my new found friends in the bench seating area right beside the stage instead of planting myself on the dance floor directly in front of Timmy which my well-rested tootsies thanked me for at the end of the evening.

In my own defense, I had walked three miles that morning so I had fulfilled my daily cardio requirement already so the less standing the better.

But I digress-I guess-I must confess---but---nonetheless, fear not Border-Babes I did end up going to the stage with both cameras in hand for Timmy‘s set. I stood right in front of Hank which wasn’t hard to do because there was no stage rush because there was no crowd; a fact which did not go unnoticed by Timmy who made several humorous comments about the rather empty house throughout the night. At one point he asked us to bring some friends to San Juan Capistrano on Wednesday night because, "we may need them." :laugh:

In any event, Timmy was in a very “up” mood throughout his entire ninety-minute set and looked and sounded a-so-lute-ly pos-I-tiv-e-ly great. I don’t do set lists but did make a half-hearted effort :fight: to get the one by Hank’s mike after the show but Dawn ended up getting it instead-better luck next time.

Got some videos and pix with my new camera but the pixs are blurry (no flashes allowed and security was all over people who tried) and the sound on the videos suck; except for the portions of the vids where Timmy was talking to us-those parts I‘m sure you‘ll enjoy as it shows, not only how truly happy Timmy was but, more importantly, displays how truly spontaneous and in the moment he can be when he “communicates” with his audience. I'm in the process of uploading them now but it's taking forever. Will post the link when I'm done.

And, make no mistake, the "small but mighty" audience :grouphug:, as Timmy described us, did a lot of in-the-moment “communicating” with Timmy too and he gifted one young lady, in front of me, with the Happy Birthday:birthday: song after her friend “communicated” that it was the young lady’s birthday. A prime example of why Timmy is so often labeled, by the press, as “the fan-friendly” Eagle.

Anyway, I know one thing for sure, I'll have to figure out how to adjust the audio on my camera before Wednesday‘s show at the Coach House. New camera-new rules-lots of new settings to learn. Once I finish the current roll of film in my 35mm Canon I'll upload those-hopefully better quality pixs too.

Got lots of eye contact :makeout:and hope to get some more tomorrow night.

Note: Timmy seemed to be in a rush to get off stage last night. Some guy tried to hand Timmy what appeared to be a guitar strap right before he left the stage for the last time, but Timmy, by then, was “already gone.” :wave: I have no idea what happened after that. Maybe one of the other people on stage took it. I hope so. Timmy probably wanted to hit the road like me and get home at a decent hour. Who knows I may have passed him in on the I-5N. Hopefully, when he plays the Canyon Club, which is closer to his home, he’ll be more willing to do a quasi “Edge-Walk.” In any event I’ll be waiting with my out-stretched hand if does.

Lastly, same set list as 2009 just re-ordered. He also did an a capella version, with the band, of one of his Expando songs but don’t ask me which one as I‘m not good with the details. I’m sure he’ll do the same thing at the Coach House on Wednesday, so stay tuned.

And, one last tidbit, he laughingly stumbled over the lyrics to one of his songs (minor bump in the road hardly noticeable) and mistakenly did the Ella Jean, my wife was doing some art project, behind-the-music-elucidation as the intro to “I Don’t Mind.” Oooops! :stop: What? “Your self inflicted drama.” Him or her? Anyway, he kindda realized his Ooops and cut the monologue mid-sentence and when it came time to sing Ella Jean he did it sans explanation. Talk about a save. :doh: Oh yea!

Chow for Now!

Carol-Lynn
SoCalGal:computer:

There is a nice vid on Hank's Facebook page of last night's show while you guys wait for mine.

https://www.facebook.com/timothybschmit#!/profile.php?id=1655451534 (https://www.facebook.com/timothybschmit#%21/profile.php?id=1655451534)

Henley Honey
11-29-2011, 07:02 PM
Fabulous Review! Glad you had a great time and can't wait for more Tim news!

timfan
11-29-2011, 07:07 PM
Unfortunately if your not on Hank's friends list you can't see the vid; makes me all the more anxious to see your videos Carol Lynn!

Topkat
11-29-2011, 07:39 PM
Thanks for the great review Carol Lynn. I'm so JEALOUS! You are a lucky girl. I would have been at that show if I didn't live 3,000 MILES AWAY!! It's too bad there wasn't a bigger crowd. Don't these people know what they are missing? TBS is probably one of the greatest singers of this generation!!
Did he do any Poco songs? Like "Keep On Tryin"? Would sure love to see him sing that one.

Tim needs to get his butt out east, so more people can see him!!

Looking forward to seeing any pictures or video that was taken!
So glad that you had a great time

carol7lynn
11-29-2011, 07:41 PM
Unfortunately if your not on Hank's friends list you can't see the vid; makes me all the more anxious to see your videos Carol Lynn!

Ooops. There are a few vids on youtube from the concert too. Check these MsWendy's.

Here is the link.
http://www.youtube.com/user/MsWendysl

Also, send a request to Hank to get added as a friend. I'm sure he'll add you.

Forgot to mention we exchanged Hellos last night. He's a first class gentleman.

Carol-Lynn

Carol-Lynn
SoCalGal

timfan
11-29-2011, 07:57 PM
WOW those youtube videos.. just WOW I was near tears listening to them!! Now I am really getting excited for the upcoming show :)

carol7lynn
11-29-2011, 07:58 PM
Thanks for the great review Carol Lynn. I'm so JEALOUS! You are a lucky girl. I would have been at that show if I didn't live 3,000 MILES AWAY!! It's too bad there wasn't a bigger crowd. Don't these people know what they are missing? TBS is probably one of the greatest singers of this generation!!
Did he do any Poco songs? Like "Keep On Tryin"? Would sure love to see him sing that one.

Tim needs to get his butt out east, so more people can see him!!

Looking forward to seeing any pictures or video that was taken!
So glad that you had a great time

Yes and he also did "What Am I Gonna Do." Don't really care for WAIGD-but that's just my two cents.

As for future Expando2 shows, from the article that I read on line yesterday, at the NBC San Diego web-site, it doesn't look like he'll extend the Expando2 tour to include any more cities but you never know-Hell Froze over before. I don't if you know this or not but LHR dropped him and, unless he has a new deal with another label, he's paying to be playing out of his own pocket.

Carol-Lynn

carol7lynn
11-29-2011, 08:01 PM
WOW those youtube videos.. just WOW I was near tears listening to them!! Now I am really getting excited for the upcoming show :)

I know! Glad you liked them.

Try and get some shut eye tonight though so you can take California by storm come Saturday night!

Carol-Lynn

Woodstock
11-29-2011, 08:42 PM
No plaid flannel shirts?!? That's ok I love the vest over the white shirt. 7 more days until Santa Cruz.......:hilarious::razz::hilarious::razz: I'm not excited!!

VAisForEagleLovers
11-29-2011, 09:01 PM
Great review, thanks!

Victim of Love
11-29-2011, 09:53 PM
I was reading an interview this morning where Timothy indicated (1) the Eagles probably WILL be doing 'something' later next year (making specific reference to the 40th anniversay) AND he eluded, since the band isn't doing anything in the immediate future and Joe, Glenn & Don all have solo projects in the offing, that after the holidays he may be adding more solo dates for himself. Will have to see if I can find the article again and post the link.

GREAT REVIEW, CL and thanks for all of the information. Looking forward to more after tomorrow's show.

Ive always been a dreamer
11-29-2011, 11:31 PM
Great review, C-L. So glad you had a great time. Your Timmy love definitely shines through in it.

:pray: :pray: :pray: for those East Coast dates!

sodascouts
11-30-2011, 12:56 AM
Thanks for the review and the info, C-L! I'm bummed that he got dropped from his label and that there wasn't more of a crowd, but I'm glad Tim didn't let it get him down. I love how Tim always seems to be so positive and upbeat. He's great and I can't wait to see him this Friday!

Koala
11-30-2011, 01:16 AM
Thanks for the great review, CL! So glad you had a good time!
Thanks for the link to the videos!

Topkat
11-30-2011, 02:26 AM
Thanks for those fantastic videos!!! Loved them.
Also I look forward to hearing that Tim will play some more dates after the holidays.....That would be great....Maybe he will even come to NYC because I think he had a nice crowd here....NY loves Timothy:grouphug:

TimothyBFan
11-30-2011, 10:36 AM
Thanks for the review and very anxious to see what else you have for us.

I am very sorry there wasn't a bigger crowd. I know he doesn't draw the crowd the other Eagles do but I can't quite figure out why he isn't promoted more. At least he keeps us true fans happy by not throwing in the towel! Thank you, Timothy!!!

luvthelighthouse
11-30-2011, 11:26 AM
Sounds like a great time! Thanks for sharing!

carol7lynn
12-03-2011, 02:23 PM
Video are taking too long to upload for some reason-one is almost ten minutes. Anyway here is a link to two of them on my Photobucket page I have gotten uploaded.

http://s280.photobucket.com/albums/kk161/carol7lynn/

Also here is the best pix from my new camera-sucks but it's the best I managed to take.

Carol-Lynn
SoCalGal

Koala
12-04-2011, 02:53 AM
Thanks for the link!:)

Ive always been a dreamer
12-04-2011, 12:57 PM
Thanks again for sharing those C-L. Timothy sounds GREAT!

TimothyBFan
12-05-2011, 08:37 AM
** Timothy **!!!!! Thanks for the link!

Koala
12-07-2011, 01:37 AM
Very good videos!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KrwlNp8GDtk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PdIzOEVdqNM&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZ0Ef1ET-H8&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KrwlNp8GDtk&feature=related

Topkat
12-07-2011, 09:20 AM
Thanks. Great videos!!!!! Tim sounds amazing!

TimothyBFan
12-07-2011, 10:24 AM
Thanks for posting these!!! :inlove: