PDA

View Full Version : Rock & Roll Hall of Fame 2012 Inductees include Eagles producer

Topkat
12-07-2011, 02:10 PM
Here are the 2012 R&R Hall of Fame Inductees: Congratulations to Guns & Roses, & Small Faces/Faces, & all the others, including Eagles Producer, Glyn Johns, who produced the Eagles first 3 albums!!

http://rockhall.com/inductees

TimothyBFan
12-07-2011, 03:34 PM
Gotta admit, it's a bit bittersweet for me every year when this list comes out. Glad GNR finally made it, and the Peppers and Faces but still no Cars. Maybe next year.

Brooke
12-07-2011, 04:36 PM
I saw Heart didn't make it either. Surely they should!

TimothyBFan
12-07-2011, 04:56 PM
Was just coming here to say the same thing, Brooke. They were just talking about it on the radio. How can you put the Beastie Boys in and leave out Heart? :confused:

Topkat
12-07-2011, 05:23 PM
I also don't understand HOW HEART didn't make it??? I went into the site while the voting was going on & they were like in 3rd place with the voters. They had thousands of votes, I don't remember exact count, but not that far behind Guns & Roses. I don't get it. Laura Nyro had very few votes, so I have no clue how they pick the inductees..... Very strange

Freypower
12-07-2011, 06:20 PM
It's bittersweet for me too, because year after year after year, they do not nominate Dire Straits.

WalshFan88
12-07-2011, 07:16 PM
Glad to see GnR finally get in. Very deserving. If GnR shows up for the event, they better have the older original members there too (Slash, Duff, Steven, Izzy, even Matt, etc)

TimothyBFan
12-07-2011, 07:19 PM
Steven said on Facebook this morning that he's hoping for a reunion. So are we, Steven!!! Then on Classic Rewind a bit ago they were talking about it also, said hope they all show up and perform.... but might have to wait for Axl to show up 2 hours late to do it. :hilarious:

WalshFan88
12-07-2011, 07:22 PM
Steven said on Facebook this morning that he's hoping for a reunion. So are we, Steven!!! Then on Classic Rewind a bit ago they were talking about it also, said hope they all show up and perform.... but might have to wait for Axl to show up 2 hours late to do it. :hilarious:
Did you see the Axl Rose That Metal Show interview on VH1 Classic? He "explained" why he's late all of the time. Was pretty funny! :hilarious:

TimothyBFan
12-07-2011, 07:31 PM
Yeah, I did. :hilarious: I had forgotten he was going to be on and when I turned it on, I have to admit, it took me a minute to realize who he was. He's changed quite a bit.

Fingers crossed that they will all perform and be civil to each other. Duff and him have made their peace from what Duff said in his book, and Axl and Steven. I think it's just Slash and Axl that are still on the outs.

WalshFan88
12-07-2011, 07:34 PM
Yeah, I did. :hilarious: I had forgotten he was going to be on and when I turned it on, I have to admit, it took me a minute to realize who he was. He's changed quite a bit.

Fingers crossed that they will all perform and be civil to each other. Duff and him have made their peace from what Duff said in his book, and Axl and Steven. I think it's just Slash and Axl that are still on the outs.

Yeah hopefully Slash and Axl can overcome it. I'll be first in line for reunion tour tickets. I would LOVE that.

Topkat
12-07-2011, 08:37 PM
I missed Axl on That Metal Show..Why did he say he's always so late?? Last time I saw him, he looked like he had a really bad facelift...OMG, hardly the guy we know from the 80's.
Is Steven Adler even able to play the drums?? He had like 2 strokes, didn't he? He always was such a hot mess. I think Slash & Axl are still not speaking, did Axl say anything about him??

WalshFan88
12-09-2011, 03:18 PM
I missed Axl on That Metal Show..Why did he say he's always so late?? Last time I saw him, he looked like he had a really bad facelift...OMG, hardly the guy we know from the 80's.
Is Steven Adler even able to play the drums?? He had like 2 strokes, didn't he? He always was such a hot mess. I think Slash & Axl are still not speaking, did Axl say anything about him??

It's on YouTube... The whole thing - worth watching. Search: Axl Rose That Metal Show Interview.

EagleLady
12-10-2011, 09:35 PM
Still no KISS :eyebrow:

WalshFan88
12-12-2011, 05:58 AM
Still no KISS :eyebrow:

I know! I know KISS gets criticized for their music quality but I've always liked them, especially for their over the top live shows. Detroit Rock City, Calling Dr. Love, Rock N' Roll All Nite, etc are live show staples and they really raised the bar for the quality of a live rock show and making sure the audiences got what they paid for. Lots of bands give credit to KISS for influencing them. They should be inducted for that alone. I love the props/pyro/"gimmicks" in a live show and KISS certainly put/puts on a hell of a great show. I miss Ace Frehley but they are still out there kicking butt. I enjoyed my concert when I saw them this summer. They are a great band still. I likely won't go again without Ace but it was a good show. The audience ruined it for me though. Especially one obnoxious drunk guy who was disgusting but I won't get into that. :rofl:

Topkat
12-12-2011, 07:50 AM
I personally think KISS is the most over-rated band in rock n' roll. Those outfits and the crazy makeup is just so juvenile & they really can't sing or play very well. I have to admit that Gene Simmons is one marketing genius to get that band where it is today. They are huge money-makers, but they do absolutely nothing for me. It's all theater & pyrotechnics, & for me that's not what it's about.

WalshFan88
12-12-2011, 08:09 AM
I personally think KISS is the most over-rated band in rock n' roll. Those outfits and the crazy makeup is just so juvenile & they really can't sing or play very well. I have to admit that Gene Simmons is one marketing genius to get that band where it is today. They are huge money-makers, but they do absolutely nothing for me. It's all theater & pyrotechnics, & for me that's not what it's about.

There is actually an old thread in this section about gimmicks and live shows. I posted my thoughts in that thread about all of that...

I think while KISS isn't one of the most musical bands, they are certainly entertaining IMO and I enjoy their shows. I love that over the top shows and personality. Just like AC/DC and Angus Young running all over the place and setting off cannons. I love that stuff. Just makes it more entertaining. I really recommend reading that old thread - lots of points made by both sides of the table.

ETA: Here is that thread. https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3034

Topkat
12-12-2011, 09:00 AM
Austin, I read some of the thread you linked to, & I found it interesting.

I realize that people like to see a "Show" & I don't object to some techno & lifts & things like that, but as mentioned, some performers use these techniques to cover up their lack of live singing skills. Many shows are lip synced these days & use a lot of this stuff to cover it up. Also the many dancers one the stage , lighting, explosions, & whatever. Like I said, it's not my thing. When a lone singer can stand in front of an audience of 20,000 & hold them spellbound with just their VOICE is true talent. With a bunch of dancers, smoke, lights & other distractions, it doesn't really matter what the singer is doing or even if they are really singing at all. KISS is to me that kind of act. Just my opinion. I would never pay to see them live.

WalshFan88
12-12-2011, 09:09 AM
Austin, I read some of the thread you linked to, & I found it interesting.

I realize that people like to see a "Show" & I don't object to some techno & lifts & things like that, but as mentioned, some performers use these techniques to cover up their lack of live singing skills. Many shows are lip synced these days & use a lot of this stuff to cover it up. Also the many dancers one the stage , lighting, explosions, & whatever. Like I said, it's not my thing. When a lone singer can stand in front of an audience of 20,000 & hold them spellbound with just their VOICE is true talent. With a bunch of dancers, smoke, lights & other distractions, it doesn't really matter what the singer is doing or even if they are really singing at all. KISS is to me that kind of act. Just my opinion. I would never pay to see them live.

Some of them do use it to cover up, but not all of them.

AC/DC as an example. They certainly aren't covering up for poor playing or singing. Brian Johnson is my absolute favorite hard rock singer and one of the best of all time (not to forget the man who he took the place of, Bon Scott, although I actually prefer Brian) and Angus Young is one of the best guitarists of all time and certainly can hold his own with anyone. Sometimes it's just used to add a little entertainment or for fun. I like a show, and I like over the top showmen. I love Mick Jagger's stage antics, and Angus Young's stage antics, and many other bands (Aerosmith, GnR, etc). I'm a hard rock guy at heart. Granted, the Eagles are my favorite band but they are about as soft as I listen to and I listen to their later HC era stuff that is more rock-y and I definitely like my rock and shows and over-the-top performances.

That said, I agree some do use it as a cover up (and I'll nervously say, most new bands do this) but not all of them and I disagree with those that say if they use special effects they must be poor musically. Most aren't. I'll use the AC/DC reference again. Also, the Rolling Stones and a few others. All of those bands have legendary singers and players and are at the top of their heap. I'm just a 70s/80s kind of guy as opposed as to a 60s/70s or earlier kind of guy. My interests start in 1970 and end in 1990, as I always say. :rofl:With a few rare exceptions, of course for classic rock bands still touring or new projects with older rock musicians.

Topkat
12-12-2011, 10:25 AM
Austin, I'm not really a big fan of AC/DC but I have to admit that I never really listened to them, so maybe I will give them a try from your recommendation. I have seen both the Stones & Guns n' Roses live & both do a great live show, & I truly love the stage presence of both Mick & Axl, but I was writing here in reference to KISS. I just hate those outfits & the makeup & the whole act with the "tongue thing" & I really don't think that they have much real "talent".
To me they are just a novelty act, & it's all about the stage show. I think mostly kids get a kick out of seeing this, but it's not my thing.

TimothyBFan
12-12-2011, 10:32 AM
My 2 cents here------I'm not a Kiss fan AT ALL!! My opinion, what they lack in talent they certainly make up in marketing!!! I've never seen a band put their face on so many things, down to toilet paper, in my life. If there's one thing Gene Simmons knows how to do, it's promote himself and the band.

Topkat
12-12-2011, 04:02 PM
TimothyBFan; I also said that Gene Simmons is a marketing genius. He's all about getting his ugly mug on everything for the money. It's really at the point where it's just overindulgent self promotion. I guess those outfits & the makeup are a blessing because when you see what he really looks like, he would never sell anything:rofl: He is one ugly dude!!!

sodascouts
12-12-2011, 06:46 PM
KISS isn't my cup of tea either. That tongue thing grosses me out, and the makeup is creepy. Then there's the stage antics like spewing fake blood... disgusting! Little wonder it was rumored "KISS" stood for "Knights in Satan's Service"!

EagleLady
12-12-2011, 08:44 PM
I think it's all great. I love me a band with stage antics.

And I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss them as not having talent. They may not be the best but They did have some classics, Rock N Roll all Nite, Hard Luck Woman, Shout It Out Loud, And Who could forget Beth?

Scarlet Sun
12-12-2011, 09:35 PM
Don Kirshner made it, but the Monkees haven't. Not that I care that much, but that's still pretty crazy