PDA

View Full Version : Happy 5th Birthday to The Border!

sodascouts
12-15-2011, 01:16 AM
It was five years ago today that I officially opened The Border! Wow, I can't believe it's been five years! I never imagined in my wildest dreams how successful the board would become, and how many special people I would meet on here. Running this board has changed my life!

To celebrate the annviersary, I'll be putting up little treats and tidbits about the board throughout the day.

First off, you may have noticed your board style is now dark blue! This is because when I first opened the board, we only had one style and this was it (don't worry, you'll be able to change your style back tomorrow)! I'm also using my original avatar today, with Glenn holding his soda. ;)

More to come...

sodascouts
12-15-2011, 01:23 AM
First tidbit - when I started Glenn Frey Online back in November 2005, I created an accompanying board called Flip City. That board would later morph into The Border. However, I have a screen shot of our first Flip City member list with a couple names you'll still recognize, I think! (We used a different software then, which is why the avatars look different and why some of the names are a bit different - dcrisson is DonFan, glennfan001 is glenneaglesfan, lbislander2 is Z, m0lly123 is Molly, eaglesaddict is Perfect Little Sister, and timfan2 is timfan, ).

https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/images/fcmembers.jpg

Glennsallnighter
12-15-2011, 05:45 AM
Well

CONGRATULATIONS
AND
HAPPY BIRTHDAY

TO THE BORDER!!

I first found glennfreyonline in November 2006 and then joined the Border eatly in 2007. Its wonderful t see the original 'flip city' page Soda!

Once again, thank yo so much for setting up this website and wonderful message board. It has enriched my life so much and I have made aome wondeful friends whom I will value and treasure forever. I have also had some amazing experiences, courtesy of the Border, particularly meeting up with some Borderers in London, Belfast and last Summer, most amazingly of all at Niagara Falls.

I hope the Border is just as strong over the years to come, and wish it so much more success.

Once again a big 'Thank You' to our Fearless Leader...... Our Eagles Concert Queen (She leads by example..... does our Soda!) for setting it all up and for all the work that she does maintaining the site.

I guess......... PARTYTIME ...... :partytime: :partytime: :partytime: :partytime: :partytime: :partytime: :partytime: :partytime:

Glennsallnighter
12-15-2011, 05:49 AM
First off, you may have noticed your board style is now dark blue! This is because when I first opened the board, we only had one style and this was it (don't worry, you'll be able to change your style back tomorrow)! I'm also using my original avatar today, with Glenn holding his soda. ;)

More to come...

Love it Soda! :wink:

I remember that dark blue default was still there when I joined up!

WalshFan88
12-15-2011, 06:44 AM
Happy Birthday to The Border! :birthday:

Prettymaid
12-15-2011, 08:09 AM
Happy Birthday to The Border! It has also changed my life in that I've met so many nice people here, and of course I've met-met several people from here! Let's see...I met Soda and TBF and her husband Larry for dinner before the Sept. 2008 Chicago show, I met Maleah at the show, met Soda again before the 2009 Indy show, went up to Chicago with Soda and TBF to see Timothy's solo show and met Luvthelighthouse and Timfan there, went to TBF's for a vinyl party where we said goodbye to Soda before she moved to Memphis, and met Cheryl at the 2010 Indy show. Let's see...have I forgotten anybody? Lol!

The Border has also changed my life because of the time I spend on the computer. Hubby used to growl about it but now he's used to it and we both have our own laptops so all is peaceful! I've weened myself back a liitle though. I used to be here all the time! It's addicting! Lol! But when you meet so many nice people in one place it's natural to want to be there.

So thank you Soda, for making all the sites and including a message board. Thank you for maintaining them over the years.

EagleLady
12-15-2011, 08:39 AM
Happy Birthday Border! I wouldn't have been able to meet such great people if it weren't for The Border!

TimothyBFan
12-15-2011, 09:09 AM
Happy Birthday Border!!!!!

WOW... just WOW!!!!!!!!!!!! Where to start. I never in my wildest dreams would've assumed that a message board could change my life. I "stalked" it for quite awhile before joining. So glad I did. I do spend an awful lot of time here and find myself in withdrawal when real life gets in the way of my Border time.

I have so many "friends" from this board, some that I've gotten to meet, some I want to meet and some that I know I never will be able to but still am glad I have met them virtually. For that I am very thankful.

Thanks again, Soda, for all your passion and hard work for these sites and this board. They mean a lot to so many.

Koala
12-15-2011, 09:46 AM
Happy Birthday to The Border!
I am so glad that I found this community, nearly three years ago!Where I've 'met' people as crazy like me!

Thank again Soda for your fantastic work!

carol7lynn
12-15-2011, 10:10 AM
Happy Birthday!

Thanks for starting this board and for keeping it real!

Carol-Lynn
SoCalGal

sodascouts
12-15-2011, 12:19 PM
I love reading your stories, guys!

Some more trivia:

Number of people to transfer from Flip City to start the Border: 22

First three members to join once we became The Border: freygirl, Randy's girl, and Maleah

Time it took us to reach 1000 members: Four and a half years

whitcap
12-15-2011, 01:22 PM
Happy birthday to The Border!

When I signed up here three and a half years ago I didn't think I'd ever post actively. I only intended to post once :lol:. It was over a year after I signed up before I visited the site again. I had heard Timothy had a new album coming out and was debating whether to get it or not. I decided to come back here and see if anyone was talking about it. When I saw how excited everyone was about the new album coming out I got excited about it too. That's when I started visiting The Border everyday. Then a year and a half ago I found some pictures of Randy that I thought needed to be shared and I've been posting actively every since. :)

I've made several friends on this site. I haven't had a chance to meet anyone in person yet but that looks like it may change next year :)

Thanks for starting the site Soda :)

Ive always been a dreamer
12-15-2011, 01:30 PM
First things first ...

HAPPY 5TH BIRTHDAY TO THE BORDER!!!

As I read through this thread, I continue to be amazed at how this message board has affected so many lives all around the globe, icluding my own. I remember Nancy and I talking about this five years ago when The Border first opened. We knew that we could have a really good message board for Eagles fans, but as Nancy said, we had no idea that it would grow as much as it has. It's still not a huge board compared to some, but we've come a long way for sure. As Nancy said, in December 2006, there were 22 members that were transferred over from Flip City. I just happen to have a few numbers to share with all of you to show how we've grown over the last 5 years ...

2007 - 103 members total (I remember how exicited we were to reach 100 members before the year ended.)

2008 - 244 members total

2009 - 508 members total (Again - total excitement over reaching 500 members before year end.)

2010 - 882 members total

2011 - 1309 members and counting

As everyone else has said, we are very grateful to you Nancy for your time and talent that you invest in this board. And also, of course, to all the members and site visitors who help keep this a fun, informative, and active community for Eagles fans.

Prettymaid
12-15-2011, 02:35 PM
I think it says volumes that so many early members are still here!

Troubadour
12-15-2011, 03:10 PM
A Very Happy 5th Birthday to The Border! Thank you to Soda and all of the mods for your passion and dedication in running this community.

I have said numerous times how much this board means to me, and how grateful I am to have met so many wonderful people from around the globe, both virtually and in person. I have had the pleasure of sharing awesome concert experiences with Peekaboo, Soda, henleyfan, PLS, ticky and Wildthyme, and I am in constant contact with GA on the BlackBerry! I'm sure it is only a matter of time until we meet IRL. I also count some of those I haven't even met as some of my very best friends. The support and love that I have gotten from the members here is amazing. We do not only share our love of the Eagles, but we share the important, momentous and trivial moments in our lives - and that creates very strong and very real bonds.

It is amazing to think that, without The Border, I would probably still be dreaming of going to America for the first time. And still dreaming of seeing the Eagles live! I have been given so many opportunities because of this message board, and I am truly thankful. Who knows - maybe I have also found romance because of it, too! ;)

whitcap
12-15-2011, 03:15 PM
I've done a little math for some additional stats:

Number of members Stuck on The Border - 29
Number of Border Troubadours - 3
Number of Border Rebels - 11
Number of Border Desperadoes - 40

ETA: I included the Mods when I calculated these numbers. I just factored them into the four categories based on post count.

12-15-2011, 04:36 PM
To continue with the theme of "5" for our Border birthday celebration, I thought of an old thread we started when Soda converted the board to the vBulletin software that is used now. We raved about all of the awesome features that this software offers compared to what she had used in the past. Here is a link to the thread if you'd like to read the whole thing ...

https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/showthread.php?t=984

I thought I'd list my 5 favorite features (along with the comments we made about them in the thread) that I use a lot because some folks here may not even be aware of some of them ...

On the top menu of the board, there is a link called "New Posts." That lists all the threads that you've visited which have had new posts since your last log-in. It's handy to have them all in one place, rather than having to click on different forums.

Calendar feature

I love this feature - it is uber cool. We had the birthday feature on the old board, but in addition to member birthdays, this is where the admin or moderators can put up all kinds of events and reminders. For example, we could use it to put up important news events about the band or a reminder that something important is happening on a certain date. Soda already has one up today signifying today as the official opening of the new board.

Note: Little did we know then how much we would use this. Soda even customized a "Today in Eagles History" calendar too . Both can be accessed by clicking the "Calendar" link on the top menu.

Switch Editor Mode feature

When you are replying to a post, Soda changed the default to the WYSIWYG view. However, if you want to see the tags, you can click the 'A' button in the upper right corner to change the view.

Archive feature

Down at the bottom of the page, there is an Archive button that gives a really helpful view of all of the threads on the board.

Quick Style Chooser feature

This drop-down menu on the bottom of the page enables you to switch back and forth between styles instantly.

Freypower
12-15-2011, 05:48 PM
I was the first member of this board after Soda herself (it goes back further, because I was one of the original members of Flilp City) and all I can say is it has been an honour and a privilege to have bee here ever since.

I always thought that I would never meet any Borderers because of where I live, but of course I finally did get to meet Soda, Dreamer, PLS, TF, HH, GA & GL last August when we had such a wonderful time. I still hope that perhaps we may be able to do that again, although I don't wish to get carried away.

Happy birthday to The Border, my homepage & favourite website ever!!! :guitar: :singer: :steviesmack: :soda:

sodascouts
12-15-2011, 06:12 PM
The friends we make are the best part, for sure!

I've been very luck to meet many Borderers "in real life," even if only briefly.

Looking at the member list, here are the folks I've met in person:

canadianladydi
carol7lynn
cheryl
DonFan
EaglesFanatic
forscarlett
Freypower
glenneaglesfan
GlennLover
Glennsallnighter
henleyfan
Henley Honey
Henleyhound
JustAHiredHand
luvthelighthouse
Maleah
MizCB
Molly
Peekaboo
Perfect Little Sister
PinkCoatGirl
Prettymaid
RamboIV
RebeccaLovesEagles
rickmullen
Screamin' Eagle
scottfan
scully6
ticky
Tiffany Twisted
timfan
TimothyBFan
Toonlass
Troubadour
VAisForEagleLovers
Wildthyme
Witchy Mummy
Z
zermie

If I've forgotten anyone, sorry - I'm a bit rushed! However, I want to reiterate how privileged I feel meeting each and every one of you!

And I look forward to meeting more as time goes on!

Topkat
12-15-2011, 06:21 PM
CONGRATULATIONS & HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO THE BORDER

I'm so glad I joined & I'm pretty new here, but I do hope to meet some of you in person at an Eagles Show in the future!!!:headbang:

timfan
12-15-2011, 07:04 PM
Wow 5 years! Happy 5th Birthday to the Border!

We sure have come a LONG way in those 5 years and I could not be prouder! I am honoured that to have been around since the start and hope we can continue for many years to come! :) :rockguitar:

Troubadour
12-15-2011, 07:15 PM
I have to add that I really like this blue theme! LROOE is my default, but this is lovely for a change. Think I will keep the blue for a while longer!

Henley Honey
12-15-2011, 08:12 PM
Happy Birthday, Border!!!

My only regret is that is took me so long to find you!!!

I've previously and repeatedly thanked Soda for creating and maintaining this world-wide community that we all so enjoy. Those efforts alone are extraordinary, but I've never given props to the content of the site.

It's easy to navigate. It's seamless. It's comprehensive. The bios, photos and downloads are fabulous. I don't have to question the accuracy of the information posted. I appreciate the high standards set, the moderator-based forums, the built-in user capabilities and the creative and thought-provoking topics.
Sometimes they're fun and lighthearted. Sometimes they're serious and heartfelt.
Always they encompass the love of the music and of the men that brought us all together -- The Eagles.

So, Happy Birthday to the Border. Here's to many, many more!!! :cheers:

12-15-2011, 09:54 PM
Okay - to continue our 5th birthday celebration, here is a little 5-question quiz to test your Border knowledge. I'll let the members take a crack at answering the questions here and I'll post when someone answers a question correctly. To give more folks a chance here, I'll ask everyone to only answer one question in their post. We'll keep going until all questions are answered correctly. So here we go ...

1. What is the range for the number of posts to be a Border Rebel?

2. Where is a good place to find bits of trivia about the band/band members on EOC and the member sites?

3. Where can you look on The Border if you want to find out what the acronym HS&G stands for?

4. What is the nickname that has been adopted by the community for Border members?

5. What is the maximum size that a Border avatar should be?

whitcap
12-15-2011, 10:31 PM
1. The range for a border rebel is 500-999

12-15-2011, 10:35 PM
Thanks wc - Question 1 has been answered correctly.

Prettymaid
12-15-2011, 11:08 PM
Who knows - maybe I have also found romance because of it, too! ;)

Okay Missy, you're not going to leave me hanging like this, are you? Lol!

VAisForEagleLovers
12-15-2011, 11:12 PM
2. Fun Facts and Trivia on Big Life/All About the Eagles, etc. Is that what you were looking for?

Tori
12-15-2011, 11:14 PM
Happy Birthday to The Border! I've only been here a couple months, but it makes me extremely happy to know there's people out there that love the Eagles just as much as I do.

12-15-2011, 11:18 PM
Thanks VAisFEL - And yep - you got the answer to Question 2. On all of the online sites, if you click on the "All about ..." link, you'll then see a "Fun Facts" link that have all kinds of neat little tidbits. :headbang:

Here's the link for the "Fun Facts" on EOC ...

https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/funfacts.htm

sodascouts
12-16-2011, 12:02 AM
Thanks for keeping the theme going, Dreamer! I just got back from work a little bit ago. This last week of the semester is hellacious!

Thanks again to everyone who's been sharing their experiences and thoughts. This community just fills my heart to bursting sometimes. Love you guys!

:grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug:

Troubadour
12-16-2011, 05:21 AM
Okay Missy, you're not going to leave me hanging like this, are you? Lol!

See the What's Happening thread! ;) It's the "Don Henleyesque" guy in my FB photos. He is planning to come over to see me probably late February (he's getting a passport right now) and I am going back to the States in the spring. We'll see how it goes!

Prettymaid
12-16-2011, 08:45 AM
Ooh, okay...heading over to WHIYL now!

Glennsallnighter
12-16-2011, 10:50 AM
Is this our first romance originating straight from the Border then? How cool is that?

For the record, the Borderers I have met are

glenneaglesfan (Kate) and Mrs Frey back in 2008 at the opening of the LROOE tour in London
then StephUK (complete with 'Will' banner) in 2009

and then more recently, Soda, Dreamer, PLS, Freypower, Henley Honey, Glennlover and Timfan in Niagara Falls.

As Lou said previously, we are in touch every day on the Blackberry.

I find it amazing that I have managed to meet the two people who would geographically be furthest away from me! namely FP and MF. Also that living on an island (Ireland :wink:) I have still been able to travel see my heros (and hero!) play.

To me this Border is not just a 'fansite'. It is a wonderful community of friends who share the good and the bad, who celebrate the wonderful things and support each other in tougher times. Quite simply, its part of my life!

12-16-2011, 11:07 AM
Okay - One thing I noticed (because I'm anal) is that Soda listed exactly 40 Borderers on her list. How cool that she's met 40 Borderers going into the band's 40th anniversary year.

I'll go ahead and post my list too. Even though I can't top Soda, I have been very lucky to meet many Borderers too. Some of them were brief, but I'm still grateful nonetheless. And, of course, I'd love to expand my list in the coming years. Here are the folks I've met in person so far:

canadianladydi
carol7lynn
cheryl
DonFan
eaglesvet
Freypower
GlennLover
Glennsallnighter
Henley Honey
JustAHiredHand
MizCB
Molly
nnhgirl
Perfect Little Sister
PinkCoatGirl
rickmullen
Screamin' Eagle
scottfan
scully6
Sodascouts
Tiffany Twisted
timfan
Wildthyme
Z
zermie

I think that's it, but my apologies if I forgot anyone.

Brooke
12-16-2011, 03:27 PM
Wow, see what happens when you miss a day here?!!!!!! You miss out on a celebration! I was on for a few minutes yesterday morning, but missed this! I took a day off work for running errands and some Christmas shopping! Not nearly enough Bordertime! So, without further adieu:

HAPPY 5TH BIRTHDAY TO THE BORDER!

Where do I even start? I'm so glad to be cyber friends with so many of you and able to share our love of this wonderful band! It seems impossible that we've been here for 5 years! I so hope I get to meet more of you in the years to come. Even though we haven't met in person, I feel like so many of you are my friends and that I've known you forever! I have only met a couple of you, Peek and tbsfan, but hopefully, next year, that will change. How awesome that Nancy and Kay have gotten to meet so many? :thumbsup:

You should have seen my husband's look a few weeks ago when driving home from our daughter's home. My cell rang and it was Nancy. He's like, who? I told him it was my friend from The Eagles board. He's like, huh? Nancy is busy telling me all about the Joe (or was it Don) show she had just been to the night before in Oklahoma and B (hubby) is impatiently waiting for me to get off the phone and stop for something to eat. He goes, you are talking to a complete stranger? I told him she was telling me all about the concert. I think our conversation went on for about a half hour! He just shook his head and went on in to the restaurant! It was too funny!

So, Nancy, our Eagles Concert Queen, thank you so much for plowing ahead and starting this wonderful network of Eagles sites. I know it must take hours and hours to keep up with all of it. I sure hope I get to meet you in person someday! :bow:

And I know that I, for one, need to go hit that button that Pm mentioned! I'm quite sure this all doesn't happen for free!

Freypower
12-16-2011, 04:39 PM
Okay - to continue our 5th birthday celebration, here is a little 5-question quiz to test your Border knowledge. I'll let the members take a crack at answering the questions here and I'll post when someone answers a question correctly. To give more folks a chance here, I'll ask everyone to only answer one question in their post. We'll keep going until all questions are answered correctly. So here we go ...

1. What is the range for the number of posts to be a Border Rebel?

2. Where is a good place to find bits of trivia about the band/band members on EOC and the member sites?

3. Where can you look on The Border if you want to find out what the acronym HS&G stands for?

4. What is the nickname that has been adopted by the community for Border members?

5. What is the maximum size that a Border avatar should be?

Answer to 3:

Use of Acronyms list in Border News Forum

Answer to 4:

Borderers

Answer to 5:

150 pixels in width & 200 pixels in height

ETA: I didn't read it properly & was only supposed to answer one question! Sorry! :blush:

Henley Honey
12-16-2011, 08:35 PM
You should have seen my husband's look a few weeks ago when driving home from our daughter's home. My cell rang and it was Nancy. He's like, who? I told him it was my friend from The Eagles board. He's like, huh? Nancy is busy telling me all about the Joe (or was it Don) show she had just been to the night before in Oklahoma and B (hubby) is impatiently waiting for me to get off the phone and stop for something to eat. He goes, you are talking to a complete stranger? I told him she was telling me all about the concert. I think our conversation went on for about a half hour! He just shook his head and went on in to the restaurant! It was too funny!

That's cute . . . but that's nothing!! After having met Soda for the first time in Niagara Falls in August of 2011 -- other than on the board -- hubby and I agreed that she'd come home with us from the October Atlantic City Joe show to stay for a few days as our guest before Glenn's NYU lecture. Having spent only a little online time and some brief "real-life" time with her, my DH and I were perfectly fine with that. She's the "real deal", but my cynical NY family was like, What???? You're inviting someone you've met online into your home?? What is wrong with you? Blah, blah, blah blah. It was a huge leap of faith, (on both sides because for all she knew we could have been some crazy, nasty couple) but I knew from having met her in Niagara Falls and from our contact on the Board that she was good "peeps". So we jumped in with both feet and were not disappointed.
So in recoginition of the birthday of the Border, I have to -- once again -- say, Holy Crap, how lucky are we that it's Soda at the helm of the Border? Sometimes in life you find a perfect fit. If any Borderer finds themselves in a similar situation, I'd say -- without reservation -- go for it.
If your life has been slightly enriched by being on the border, then meeting the originator can only be "all good". I promise.

So, once again . . . . . Happy Birthday to the Border!!!

Freypower
12-16-2011, 08:58 PM
So in recoginition of the birthday of the Border, I have to -- once again -- say, Holy Crap, how lucky are we that it's Soda at the helm of the Border? Sometimes in life you find a perfect fit. If any Borderer finds themselves in a similar situation, I'd say -- without reservation -- go for it.
If your life has been slightly enriched by being on the border, then meeting the originator can only be "all good". I promise.

So, once again . . . . . Happy Birthday to the Border!!!

Hear hear!

sodascouts
12-17-2011, 12:08 AM
Brooke - we are gonna meet up one of these days. In fact, one reason I called was that I was driving through Missouri on my way home from Oklahoma and, not realizing what side of the state you were located on, hoped to be able to meet you for dinner somewhere en route! Sorry I annoyed your hubby, lol.

To me this Border is not just a 'fansite'. It is a wonderful community of friends who share the good and the bad, who celebrate the wonderful things and support each other in tougher times. Quite simply, its part of my life!

Amen!

That's cute . . . but that's nothing!! After having met Soda for the first time in Niagara Falls in August of 2011 -- other than on the board -- hubby and I agreed that she'd come home with us from the October Atlantic City Joe show to stay for a few days as our guest before Glenn's NYU lecture. Having spent only a little online time and some brief "real-life" time with her, my DH and I were perfectly fine with that. She's the "real deal", but my cynical NY family was like, What???? You're inviting someone you've met online into your home?? What is wrong with you? Blah, blah, blah blah. It was a huge leap of faith, (on both sides because for all she knew we could have been some crazy, nasty couple) but I knew from having met her in Niagara Falls and from our contact on the Board that she was good "peeps". So we jumped in with both feet and were not disappointed.

What a fun time that was! You guys blew me away with your warmth and generosity. I would have been content just to hang out and entertain myself, but you not only opened your home to me, you took time out of your busy schedules to take me into the city and show me around. You really went above and beyond to show me a good time! Your kindness and hospitality is a credit to you and shows your big heart. It's little wonder we clicked. :)

I feel very lucky to have met you!

Hear hear!

You know, I always figured we would meet "in real life" FP. I just thought it would have to be in Australia. ;) You will always get props for being the first to dive into this with me!

As I've said before, I feel very blessed to have been able to meet so many wonderful people who have chosen to join this community, and I hope you all know how much I value you! I may have created this place, but it would be nothing but a bunch of html coding without such great members. I gave birth to the Border but it lives a healthy life because of you. :grouphug:

12-17-2011, 01:10 AM
Answer to 3:

Use of Acronyms list in Border News Forum

Answer to 4:

Borderers

Answer to 5:

150 pixels in width & 200 pixels in height

ETA: I didn't read it properly & was only supposed to answer one question! Sorry! :blush:

Well, that's okay FP - you are forgiven. :wink: And so now, all of the questions to the Border quiz have been answered correctly. Thanks to you and the others for taking the the time to answer.

As I've said before, I feel very blessed to have been able to meet so many wonderful people who have chosen to join this community, and I hope you all know how much I value you! I may have created this place, but it would be nothing but a bunch of html coding without such great members. I gave birth to the Border but it lives a healthy life because of you. :grouphug:

Well said Soda - or as someone else once said "it takes a village" to build and maintain a community like this. We all came here out of our love for this band, but when you have such a diverse membership as we do - people of all ages coming here from all over the world - it is a credit to those members that they are able to check their egos at the log in screen and keep the focus here on the band and on what's best for the community at large. Kudos to you, Borderers! :cheers:

luvthelighthouse
12-17-2011, 01:35 AM
5 years! Woot!!!

I remember first finding this site. It's not just that it had a ton of info on the band, but the thing that kept and keeps me coming back is the positive attitude of the board members!

I mean this sincerely, from the moderators to the fans... everyone is welcome. Nowcomer's can ask questions and they are embraced and given any info they could possibly want on the band. They are never made to feel silly or inferior for not knowing something about the guys. I learned so much from joining this site... and I continue to learn all the time.

I used to be on so much more, but life has a way of taking over sometimes and I do not visit as much as I would like... but I know I can jump back on at any time and be treated as if I were posting daily.

I've enjoyed meeting the few people I have from this site. Good and genuine people.

Soda, thanks for the great job keeping this site fresh and welcoming!

Glennsallnighter
12-17-2011, 05:56 AM
My first post was simply to say what the first Album I bought was, and thought I might enquire on how to get Glenn :heart:'s Live in Dublin DVD. The welcome and responses that I got kept me on the Border ( not to mention the wealth of eye candy and interesting topics). And nearly 5 years later...... I'm still here!

Windeagle
12-17-2011, 10:53 AM
Congratulations on 5 years! I'm relatively new to the forum, but you all have been great in making me feel welcome. I found the board via Glenn Frey Online and now that I'm here, I can't imagine life without it. What a wealth of info, photos and stories about my favorite band! And all the stories about your concert and other Eagles adventures keep me hanging on the edge of my seat every time a new show is announced.

Even though I've only been here since the summer, you all have already had an influence. Before "meeting" you all, I would NEVER have considered going to NJ to see Joe, but heck, if FP and GA can come from around the world to see Glenn, what's 6 hours for me? In fact, the only thing that kept me from going to Niagara Falls in August was that I don't yet have a passport! I'll need to rectify that.

Thank you Nancy and all the moderators for all the thought and work you put into the site. If any of you ever follow the guys to New England, look me up. I'd love to meet you in person.

Freypower
12-18-2011, 05:55 PM
Something has just occurred to me; if The Border was founded in December 2005 doesn't that make it SIX years old?!

12-18-2011, 06:28 PM
FP - Flip City was opened along with Glenn Frey Online in November, 2005. It wasn't until over a year later that the board was opened to the public and renamed The Border. If you are interested in the chronological timeline for all the sites, you can look in the "All About Us" thread in this forum. Here is the link ...

https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1603

Freypower
12-18-2011, 06:51 PM
Fair enough; I had forgotten that it remained private for a year after it was started. :shh:

Glennsallnighter
12-19-2011, 07:15 PM
I can't remember the first picture I posted on the Border, but here is a link to my first post! Its the top one of this page

https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/showthread.php?t=230&highlight=album+bought&page=8

sodascouts
12-19-2011, 10:05 PM
You just jumped right in! Do the kiddies still appreciate the credit card song? ;)

EaglesFanatic
12-19-2011, 11:12 PM
Sorry I'm late, but I just wanted to chime in here and thank you Nancy for putting so much time and effort into this site. Like others have said, it truly is a community on here, and I'm very happy to be a part of it. Also, thank you to the mods that help keep this board running (GA, Dreamer, FP, etc.). It's very nice to have a place such as this to share a common interest :) Happy Birthday to The Border :cheers:

Glennsallnighter
12-20-2011, 05:22 AM
You just jumped right in! Do the kiddies still appreciate the credit card song? ;)

They do indeed! Hard to believe they were so small then. They are great at calling me whenever they hear any Eagles song on the radio too! And of course Laura has been to 3 Eagles Concerts, and Chris to one!

rcknalwys
12-22-2011, 05:57 PM
Happy belated birthday to the Border. This is such a great place and as has been said, no matter how long we are gone, it always welcomes us back. Thank you for starting it and allowing us all to become part of the Border.

carol7lynn
09-24-2013, 05:33 PM
All your hard work has not gone un-noticed.:bye:

Thanks for keeping the Spirit Alive! Happy 5th!

Carol-Lynn

Freypower
09-24-2013, 06:17 PM
All your hard work has not gone un-noticed.:bye:

Thanks for keeping the Spirit Alive! Happy 5th!

Carol-Lynn

The anniversary is in December.

sodascouts
09-24-2013, 08:52 PM
Thanks for your kind words guys - I'll take 'em any time of year, lol. However, this thread is a bit old - we're actually coming up on our seventh year this December. Hard to believe!

deb828
11-10-2013, 09:46 AM
Thanks for your kind words guys - I'll take 'em any time of year, lol. However, this thread is a bit old - we're actually coming up on our seventh year this December. Hard to believe!
This is a wonderful board! And loving all the info on Eagles Online Central!
So much great information in both places--Thanks!!!!