PDA

View Full Version : About Strange Introductions

VAisForEagleLovers
12-20-2011, 05:34 PM
In searching on Ask.com for info on the Clippers/Lakers preseason game last night and whether any celebrities may have attended (I can't remember which was the home team), I found this. It's not dated, but it seems to be recent? I don't think I've seen it on here.

http://www.throwerspodcast.com/thinking/strange_introductions/

Freypower
12-20-2011, 05:39 PM
Well, it eventually turned out to be complimentary. :neutral: I will pass over the '65 years old' bit.

It is so rare to have any glimpse of Glenn's life that I will take what I can get.

Does anybody else think it was strange to introduce himself as 'musician'? I don't. Because the fact is if he had just said his name the guy would probably have thought either 'who?' or 'what an arrogant a*hole'.

Brooke
12-20-2011, 05:42 PM
I'm glad he came to his senses about GF! :lol:

TimothyBFan
12-20-2011, 07:45 PM
:rofl: I think that was a great article!! I found it amusing, especially the way he was using the Eagles and solo songs to make his points. As for the introduction.... I tend to agree, it's a strange way to introduce himself but I also agree, he might have been just "cutting to the chase".

Henley Honey
12-21-2011, 07:18 PM
I think it's great that Glenn is interested enough in what his kids are into that he'd volunteer to coach. So many fathers just want to call it in. I think being "hands on" makes a tangible difference in how a person's character is built. When his son looks back on this time in his life, I hope he appreciates his father's efforts and that he'll pass it on. . . . . .

GlennLover
12-21-2011, 11:54 PM
I think it's great that Glenn is interested enough in what his kids are into that he'd volunteer to coach. So many fathers just want to call it in. I think being "hands on" makes a tangible difference in how a person's character is built. When his son looks back on this time in his life, I hope he appreciates his father's efforts and that he'll pass it on. . . . . .

He even took the time to attend the coaching session!

Topkat
12-22-2011, 08:03 AM
I guess I would have also thought that was a strange way to introduce himself. I think if he just said, Hi, I'm Glenn Frey, that the guy would have recognized the name & knew who he was. It is a bit odd. In any case, nice to see that Glenn is doing this for his son... Oh, and I love the flip phone mention.

VAisForEagleLovers
12-22-2011, 11:10 AM
I guess I would have also thought that was a strange way to introduce himself. I think if he just said, Hi, I'm Glenn Frey, that the guy would have recognized the name & knew who he was. It is a bit odd. In any case, nice to see that Glenn is doing this for his son... Oh, and I love the flip phone mention.

TK, I'm amazed at the number of people who like Eagles music that give me a blank look when I mention Glenn's or Joe's name. Usually even Don's. Then when I explain they tell me I must be a real fan to know their names, and I think 'you have no idea...' :smile: Even people who know their names take a few moments of 'brain searching' to place the name. I thought it strange as well, but I guess he's had a lot of years to figure out what works best, get it out of the way and start talking about what he was there for.

I like the fact that he took notes. Even that he attended the workshop (or whatever it was). Too many parent coaches think they know it all already.

Ive always been a dreamer
12-22-2011, 01:16 PM
Thanks for posting that, VAisFEL - Love that writeup! And ITA that he's had enough practice to figure out what works best in introducing himself. All I know is I want to be a cheerleader for Otis' basketball team - I promise not to flirt with the players! :wink: :grin:

I remember the first time I went to Pebble Beach and Glenn came up and introduced himself to me (well d'oh, of course, I do). He just said, "Hi, I'm Glenn". And I looked at him adoringly and meekly uttered "I know - so nice to meet you". It seemed a little strange to me at the time, but I guess he didn't want to be presumptous. :sigh: I guess he has to balance what he feels comfortable with as well as the other person.

EaglesKiwi
12-22-2011, 04:26 PM
Thanks for posting that, VAisFEL - Love that writeup! And ITA that he's had enough practice to figure out what works best in introducing himself. All I know is I want to be a cheerleader for Otis' basketball team - I promise not to flirt with the players! :wink: :grin:
I note you said "players" and nothing about other people who just might happen to be there...

I remember the first time I went to Pebble Beach and Glenn came up and introduced himself to me (well d'oh, of course, I do). He just said, "Hi, I'm Glenn". And I looked at him adoringly and meekly uttered "I know - so nice to meet you". It seemed a little strange to me at the time, but I guess he didn't want to be presumptous. :sigh: I guess he has to balance what he feels comfortable with as well as the other person.
I cracked up laughing when I read that- I can just picture you looking at him adoringly (understatement)!!

Topkat
12-22-2011, 08:10 PM
I still do think it's strange to say, I'm musician Glenn Frey, because normally people don't introduce themselves with Hi, i'm (whatever occupation you are) and then the name.. if he just said his name, I think the guy would have either recognized it or not, & it wasn't really important at this particular event being that it was a coaching lecture....but whatever works for him.

Victim of Love
12-22-2011, 10:51 PM
Strange intro, indeed. But I have to agree that over the years he's been in countless situations where he's seen someone look at him with that "I-know- that-I-know-you-from-somewhere-but-I-can't-quite-put-my-finger-on-it" look. So maybe it isn't so strange after all...put it out there, save everyone an awkward moment and get down to the business at hand.

EaglesKiwi
12-23-2011, 02:40 AM
Strange intro, indeed. But I have to agree that over the years he's been in countless situations where he's seen someone look at him with that "I-know- that-I-know-you-from-somewhere-but-I-can't-quite-put-my-finger-on-it" look. So maybe it isn't so strange after all...put it out there, save everyone an awkward moment and get down to the business at hand.
Yes please. I HATE that moment when I'm looking at somebody and wondering whether I'm supposed to be personally acquainted with them - and as I get older those moments are happening a lot more often!

Glennsallnighter
12-23-2011, 05:25 AM
Yeah, I get those moments too. I'm teaching over 19 years and every year we release about 100 seventeen year olds on an unsuspecting public. Of course for years after each group I meet people 'hiya Miss...... Remember me?' I wrack my brains Only to be told 'its Cathy X or Michael Y' Then I remember!

So I guess Glenn :heart: just likes go get that awkward bit over as soon as he can!

It's a nice article, and I love reading anything that gives an insight into Glenn : heart: the person as opposed to the Rockstar. It shows people too that it doesn't matter how successful you are its important to give time to your kids and share their interests too. he is definitely NOT to Busy Being Fabulous!

Although I did think at the start that the guy was dissing Glenn :heart: a bit at the start of the article he definitely grew on me!

Dreamer, can I join that cheerleader team?

Actually, I think we could form our own group of cheerleaders to spur Otis and his team on - and call ourselves 'the Row 3 Ladies'

Ive always been a dreamer
12-23-2011, 11:37 AM
I note you said "players" and nothing about other people who just might happen to be there...

OMG - I didn't think anyone would notice that! :lie: :wink:

Dreamer, can I join that cheerleader team?

Actually, I think we could form our own group of cheerleaders to spur Otis and his team on - and call ourselves 'the Row 3 Ladies'

Yeah - problem is once we add in all the "honorary" Borderers that want to be on the squad, the cheerleaders will probably outnumber the players about 5 to 1. :lol:

sodascouts
12-23-2011, 05:47 PM
Aw, very cute! I'm glad Glenn introduced himself a bit unusually since it led to this write-up!