PDA

View Full Version : If You Could Spend An Afternoon.....

TimothyBFan
01-05-2012, 03:15 PM
Wolfgang's Vault did this on their FB page today.....

If you could spend the afternoon with a musician, dead or alive, which one would it be?

I answered it with Jimmay Page.

VAisForEagleLovers
01-05-2012, 03:42 PM
I think we all know which one I'd pick, so I'll say why. I have a lot respect for his talent as a musician, songwriter, vocalist, and arranger (is that a word?). I've come to have respect for him as a person and how he lives his life. He has a sense of humor that I think I'd like. Mostly, though, I'd just like to argue about sports with him for an afternoon.

Glennsallnighter
01-05-2012, 03:54 PM
That guy would have quite a few busy afternoons VA! I'd Love to ask him about what his motivation was for some of my favourite songs from his solo albums. They weren't all hits but I love them. I'd also ask him about his parenting skills. His kids seem so well rounded!

Brooke
01-05-2012, 04:09 PM
Glenn Frey

pueblo47
01-05-2012, 04:13 PM
Bob Dylan

sodascouts
01-05-2012, 05:04 PM
Thanks to Pebble Beach, I've spent a few afternoons with Glenn Frey! Therefore, I'll go with Stevie Nicks.

The Disco Strangler
01-05-2012, 05:51 PM
Ray Gillen

Freypower
01-05-2012, 06:43 PM
Glenn is too obvious, so I will go with the other obvious choice, Mark Knopfler.

Henley Honey
01-05-2012, 07:26 PM
I'd have to go with Glenn because he is such a great story teller. He can recall in great detail conversations he's had over 30 years ago. He paints a vivid verbal picture and can laugh at himself -- plus he's pretty easy on the eyes!!

EaglesKiwi
01-06-2012, 04:41 AM
Any of the Eagles, although I'd probably do slightly different things with each of them.

Glenn - probably watch a game of rugby / Joe - go down to the independent music store & listen to stories... actually Glenn would probably remember even more stories... / Don - bush walk / Timothy - just home with the family yakking.

Not sure if there are a lot of other musicians I'd want to spend an afternoon with - at least not until I'd caught up on their music and career!!

Mrs Frey
01-06-2012, 06:56 AM
Good grief... just one?

Well, I'd have to choose Elvis Presley. He was the first musician to get my hormones raging and whole being singing and dancing to all his songs at the age of 11, and after his being gone for 34 years, he's still the King of Music (in my opinion, anyway), so this is a no-brainer, really. He is the one who inspired me to perform.

However, if I could spend multiple such afternoons, this is how it would go:

Monday: Elvis Presley
Tuesday: John Lennon
Wednesday: Paul McCartney
Thursday: George Harrison
Friday: Glenn Frey (or should that be Freyday? :wink:)

How would I spend the afternoons with them? Well, after obviously chatting to them and asking them questions about themselves and their music, I'd LOVE to jam with them!! Singing and playing music with any of the above musicians would be beyond amazing (although it can never happen with 3 of them, sadly).

Oh yes, if I may ask, can I spend the evenings with them too? :twisted:

Prettymaid
01-06-2012, 09:08 AM
This is easy for me - Paul McCartney. His musical history notwithstanding, he just seems like an easygoing guy who would make you feel comfortable. Can you imagine all the stories he has to tell? (Wonder if he's working on an autobiography?)

Mrs Frey
01-06-2012, 09:48 AM
PM, just don't make that meeting on a Wednesday - I have already booked my appointment with Paul. :wink: :lol:

Regarding an autobiography, I reckon Paul has told us much about himself in The Beatles Anthology, and then there was the Wingspan documentary too. I think there have been books written on Paul with his co-operation and input, although I don't have names on hand. I must delve into my collection and see what I have. I admit that I've bought books and haven't had a chance to read them. :blush:

Ive always been a dreamer
01-06-2012, 12:54 PM
Well this is easy for me as well and probably not hard for you all to guess either. I'm easy that way! :wink: Even though, like Soda, I have already had the privilege of spending a little bit with time with him courtesy of Pebble Beach, without any doubt or hesitation, if I can only choose one, my choice is ...

Glenn Frey!!!

I find the man fascinating and can think of a ton of questions that I'd love to ask him. He is easy to talk to, down to earth, humorous, and very interesting to listen to. Not bad to look at either!

However, if I could expand my list, it would include any or all of the current Eagles or any or all of The Beatles.

StephUK
01-06-2012, 04:24 PM
Well obviously I'd spend the afternoon with Will Hollis!! failing that, it would have to be Gram Parsons.

Freypower
01-06-2012, 05:55 PM
Any of the Eagles, although I'd probably do slightly different things with each of them.

Glenn - probably watch a game of rugby / Joe - go down to the independent music store & listen to stories... actually Glenn would probably remember even more stories... / Don - bush walk / Timothy - just home with the family yakking.

Not sure if there are a lot of other musicians I'd want to spend an afternoon with - at least not until I'd caught up on their music and career!!

Do you think Glenn would enjoy rugby? If it were me I would try & make him watch Liverpool. I know he enjoys watching most sports.

The fact is even if I had chosen him to spend an afternoon with, I would be incapable of speech. With MK, however, I would bore him to tears asking about all the references to his hometown (Newcastle) in his songs. And I could definitely watch football with him - a very pleasing result the other day, Newcastle Utd 3, Manchester Utd 0. :yay:

Windeagle
01-06-2012, 09:18 PM
Since, like FP, I would be incapable of speech as well, I think I'd pick any one of the current Eagles guitar players, have them give me a personal tour around the stage and let me sit on the sidelines during soundcheck. My fascination with all the gear and how they make it all work might get me asking questions and help me over my shyness.

Scarlet Sun
01-06-2012, 09:24 PM
Linda Ronstadt, circa 1968

WalshFan88
01-07-2012, 04:22 PM
Joe Walsh for sure. We could jam, talk gear, and I could hip him to the new pedals on the market that are new and get the tone from all of those Eagles albums and are better than the ones he's currently using as far as getting the best tone possible, going from great to perfect. I'd even volunteer to be his pedalboard designer and help him arrange it. :lol:

EaglesKiwi
01-08-2012, 05:34 AM
Do you think Glenn would enjoy rugby? If it were me I would try & make him watch Liverpool. I know he enjoys watching most sports.

The fact is even if I had chosen him to spend an afternoon with, I would be incapable of speech. With MK, however, I would bore him to tears asking about all the references to his hometown (Newcastle) in his songs. And I could definitely watch football with him - a very pleasing result the other day, Newcastle Utd 3, Manchester Utd 0. :yay:
I think he'd enjoy any sport, and it's probably the one I'm most able to have a conversation around - I would also be likely to be incapable of speech if I even met any of them, let alone spending a whole afternoon together.

That's why I tried to pick something they could talk about because I'm a GREAT listener!! :lol: Although, I think I could just sit down and chat to Timothy, he doesn't seem quite so intimidating :D

TimothyBFan
01-09-2012, 12:08 PM
Ok--I started this thread, so I'm changing the rules. :lol: If You Could Spend An Afternoon With Any Artist, OTHER THAN AN EAGLE, Who Would It Be?

You guys are killing me here. :lol: But I guess that was to be expected on this board, huh? For the record, I listed Jimmy Page, and stick to it but Timothy would be my second choice for sure.

Henley Honey
01-09-2012, 01:10 PM
Bob Seger. Hands down. (Rod Stewart a close second)

WalshFan88
01-09-2012, 02:25 PM
Other than an Eagle?

Ok! Don Felder!

Hey, he isn't an Eagle anymore! :lol::lol::lol:

Freypower
01-09-2012, 05:09 PM
Well, I said Mark Knopfler, and I meant it, but Paul McCartney would be second.

VAisForEagleLovers
01-09-2012, 10:56 PM
Since you said dead or alive, I guess I'd go with Dean Martin. I bet he has a lot of good stories.

Mrs Frey
01-10-2012, 07:15 AM
Well, I said Mark Knopfler, and I meant it, but Paul McCartney would be second.

FP, as I said to PM, just don't book Paul on a Wednesday. He already has a date with me. :lol: :wink:

Sorry, I just couldn't resist.

Glennsallnighter
01-10-2012, 07:36 PM
Well if I couldn't meet Glenn :heart: I think I would like to meet either Chris de Burgh (I've met him twice but only briefly), or Tony Hadley from Spandau Ballet. In both cases I really love the music they have written and performed and would love to discuss it with them.

Koala
01-11-2012, 01:07 AM
Glenn Frey :-)

However, I would also like to meet Phil Collins or Eric Clapton.

Brooke
01-11-2012, 04:21 PM
Ok, well, if it can't be an Eagle I guess it would have to be Stephen Tyler. The man is crazy and hilarious!

EaglesFanatic
01-11-2012, 06:58 PM
Ok--I started this thread, so I'm changing the rules. :lol: If You Could Spend An Afternoon With Any Artist, OTHER THAN AN EAGLE, Who Would It Be?

You guys are killing me here. :lol: But I guess that was to be expected on this board, huh? For the record, I listed Jimmy Page, and stick to it but Timothy would be my second choice for sure.

Thanks Willie :hilarious: I knew I'd be stating the obvious if I chose Joe Walsh! I think I'd have to go with either Duane Allman, or Neil Young. Both are outstanding musicians, and I'd have a lot to ask them.

Topkat
01-24-2012, 10:33 AM
I would have to go with Paul McCartney. He really seems very down to earth. My second choice would be Eric Clapton.

Troubadour
01-31-2012, 08:52 PM
VA, Dean Martin is a great choice!

I think I would have to go for James Taylor, although there are so many others I would kill to spend an afternoon with! I just adore him. He is so gentle and intelligent, but he would have some pretty wild stories, too. When the conversation dried up, he could sing and play for me. :nod:

EaglesKiwi
02-01-2012, 04:50 AM
Nice choice, Troub. :nod: