PDA

View Full Version : Hair Help!

sodascouts
01-14-2012, 04:49 PM
I've always wanted long hair, but now that I have it, it looks all limp and scraggly. I'm going to post a couple photos of it completely unstyled and ask for advice. How can I get my hair looking prettier? Or should I just cut it, like some of my friends suggest? Any advice welcome.

Note: I took these with my new iPad, which I'm not yet accustomed to - hence the puzzled look in this first one! I'm thinking Am I aiming this right? lol
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b141/glennfreyonline/misc/NancyHairFront.jpg

From the back:
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b141/glennfreyonline/misc/NancyHairBack.jpg

HELP!

VAisForEagleLovers
01-14-2012, 05:07 PM
Too much weight to it. If you haven't had a trim in a while, get an inch or so off the bottom, then get layers all the way around? I can't tell from the pics if you have layers already, if you do, then more dramatic? You'll have the length and the weight off the outer-most layer will get rid of 'limp'. Maybe start small and see how it goes?

sodascouts
01-14-2012, 05:16 PM
My last haircut was in early November. I have gotten layers, although I don't think they were "dramatic" - what does that mean?

VAisForEagleLovers
01-14-2012, 05:23 PM
Instead of a couple inches apart in length, further apart. That's what I meant by dramatic. Also, maybe change up your shampoo and conditioner?

EaglesKiwi
01-14-2012, 06:02 PM
Is your hair thick or fine, Nancy? And what do you do with it - or perhaps more to the point, what do you have TIME to do with it?

I have really thick, heavy hair and have had it at a similar length to yours - but it looked much better cut to shoulder length, with layers in - it framed my face better and was easier to manage...

Freypower
01-14-2012, 06:08 PM
Soda, it's up to you, but I just want to tell you that I really like your hair & I hope you wouldn't change it too much.

sodascouts
01-14-2012, 06:10 PM
EK - It's fine, much to my dismay. I almost always wear it half-up, half-down; the sides are pulled back and in clip at the crown of my head, with the rest loose.

FP - thank you!

StephUK
01-14-2012, 07:57 PM
I like your hair too Soda. Maybe it's just going through a 'funny phase'. I usually have my hair long, though it's very thick so it's always layered, but sometimes it just gets a bit, well, tatty. When that happens it needs a more dramatic cut rather than just a trim; it helps, and grows back much nicer. A change of Shampoo & conditioner is a good idea now & then too.
How's your health Nancy? if you're a bit run down(as we all can get inthe winter) it can really affect your hair.
From the photos it looks OK. I wish mine was as pretty as yours!!

p.s. I've just had my long hair cut off. I do this about every 6 years or so, and then grow it straight away again. It takes about 18 months to get it back long again.

Prettymaid
01-14-2012, 08:52 PM
There's a photo of you that you've shared here - I can't remember if it's with Don and Stevie or who....but I think you're wearing dark blue and your hair is down...maybe it's that one with your friend in the picture too...anyway, I LOVE your hair in that picture! (Post it if you know which one I'm talking about!)

sodascouts
01-14-2012, 09:31 PM
Steph - thanks! My health is OK. I've just started taking vitamins so maybe that will help!

PM - I think this might be the photo you're talking about, but my hair's not down in it - it's my typical half up, half down hairdo:
http://www.donhenleyonline.com/images/NancyStevieDon.jpg

However, in this one, I do have my hair down. It was much shorter then.
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b141/glennfreyonline/misc/AHI2003.jpg

Prettymaid
01-15-2012, 12:55 PM
The second one....THAT'S THE ONE!!!! Lol!

It may be shorter, but it's not short by any means. It's still past your shoulders. I love it down like that. Did it take a long time to style that way or did you just let it dry naturally?

Windeagle
01-15-2012, 02:01 PM
Assuming the curl is natural (which it looks like it is), I think you'd look great in something about the same length as in the Fleetwood Mac picture, but with more established layers.

Having grown up with extremely curly hair, I learned early on the futility of trying to fight the curl. Nowadays, mine stays short and layered because I hate the fuss of doing anything else with it.

Lisa
01-15-2012, 03:29 PM
Hi sodascouts! I like the length and blunt cut look that your hair has now. I don't know whether you'd be really truly happy with a change in length or dramatic layers. You can always change the way you wear your hair by collecting styles that don't require a different haircut or length, and by trying them out to see how they'd look. It is nice to preserve that styling/versatility option. Maybe an occasional trim would keep the end-straggles even, and that might cause your hair to look thicker throughout its length.

I use Pantene Volume Shampoo. (only the shampoo--right now, not an additional conditioner)
An add -- The Pantene two-in-one products (shampoo+conditioner) are not too bad, either.

P.S. There's no real "hair-magic" that a completely new haircut and style could give you. The conception is illusory. It is all practice, to get everything to work together in an individually complementary way.

sodascouts
01-15-2012, 04:04 PM
The second one....THAT'S THE ONE!!!! Lol!

It may be shorter, but it's not short by any means. It's still past your shoulders. I love it down like that. Did it take a long time to style that way or did you just let it dry naturally?
I just let it air dry and didn't use product except shampoo and conditioner. I think I just lucked out there as it usually was frizzier than that - of course the picture was taken in Arizona where humidity is not an issue!

WE - it is naturally curly. Straightening it takes way too much effort, so I just let it do its thing, lol.

Lisa - I know there is no magic cure but I sure am benefiting from all the advice!

Glennhoney
01-15-2012, 04:57 PM
I really like the length of it in that last group picture...really frames your face well...I think you just need a good trim...:bye:
..and you are SO lucky to have naturally curled hair!!!!

Glennsallnighter
01-15-2012, 07:13 PM
To be honest Soda, I really thought your hair was fabulous in Niagara Falls.
My hair is quite thin and takes a long time to grow. The Friday before I headed over to the States my hairdresser cajoled me into buying an extension which is very easy to use and immediately added length and volume.A

Anyway, here I am with Soda the morning after the first gig. One of my colleagues whom I don't know very well asked if Soda was my sister!

Soda, I'll take that as a compliment. I would hate to see you do anything too drastic to your hair. Its fantastic as it is!

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t236/Irisheaglesfan/Niagara%20Falls%202011/IMG_0142.jpg

Freypower
01-15-2012, 07:47 PM
Agreed. I have a very nice photo of myself at Niagara with Soda & I'd like to post it but I don't know if she would want me to.

Topkat
01-15-2012, 08:35 PM
Soda, your hair just looks like you need a good shaping. If you have been growing it out, & haven't had a haircut in a long time, I would ask the hairdresser for advice, to keep it long but shape it. Maybe some long layers & a little shorter in the front. I also think you would look great with some very subtle highlights in the front. Just my opinion....

I wanted my hair long too, so I had a Japanese hair straightening & let it grow down to my waist. It looked good, but I found that my face is a little thin & it was dragging my face down. I later got a really cute cut to the end of my neck & angle cut shorter in the back & longer in the front. Everyone loves it like this, but sometimes I miss the really long hair!

sodascouts
01-15-2012, 08:57 PM
To be honest Soda, I really thought your hair was fabulous in Niagara Falls.
Thanks for the compliment, GA. The nights of the concerts I took special care with it, and I think it did turn out well - although obviously I had not styled it yet in that pic, lol. In fact, I look rather tubby there - I've lost about 25 pounds since then, thank goodness!

Agreed. I have a very nice photo of myself at Niagara with Soda & I'd like to post it but I don't know if she would want me to.

Probably not. I'm afraid I don't look very good in most of the Niagara Falls photos, and it's embarrassing to have a poor photograph of oneself displayed for everyone to see.

TK - pardon my ignorance, but what's a Japanese hair straightening?

Henley Honey
01-15-2012, 10:08 PM
I love, love, love the tight curls you have in the group photo with Stevie. Seems like there's a great story that goes with the pic, but that'll be for another day. I know you don't blow dry your hair so that has to be paramount in any decision you make. You could get the best cut on the planet, but if if requires dryer maintenance -- you're done. I've only know you with long hair, but the shorter curly look is really cute on you. I'd go with that all day long.

Freypower
01-15-2012, 10:22 PM
Probably not. I'm afraid I don't look very good in most of the Niagara Falls photos, and it's embarrassing to have a poor photograph of oneself displayed for everyone to see.

On the contrary, I think you look great in the photo of the two of us, but I bow to your wishes.

Henley Honey
01-15-2012, 10:35 PM
How do you feel about ditching the bangs? I think we could get a nice, tight, layered look without bangs. What'ya think?

sodascouts
01-15-2012, 10:37 PM
I'd like to get my hair looking like it did in 2001 (in this photo, I'm wearing a headband):

http://buckinghamnicks.net/site/images/MyStuff2.JPG

That's what I was going for by growing my hair out again, but it doesn't seem to be happening, even though I'm not doing anything differently (I didn't use any product then, either). I know one can't turn back time, but it was only 10 years ago! Still, I'm opening to cutting it or at least doing layers.

I didn't wear bangs then, but I need bangs now to hide the scar on my forehead I got in 2006.

EaglesKiwi
01-16-2012, 03:43 AM
On the contrary, I think you look great in the photo of the two of us, but I bow to your wishes.
I personally would love to see the photo... (but then, I dislike nearly every photo that's ever been taken of me, so I do empathise with you soda!).

But - if we could see a few more photos, it can only help with the styling suggestions!

One more question - how long does it take to grow - e.g. if you had it cut to just above your shoulders, how long would it take to grow it back to current length?

Topkat
01-16-2012, 09:58 AM
Soda , Japanese hair straightening is a permanent hair straightening that makes your hair stick straight, & it stays that way. It will not frizz even in very humid weather. You also do not have to do anything with your hair, It will dry very straight. It takes about 5 hours to do it. I would only recommend this if your hair is thick, because since doing it, I have found that my hair has gotten a little thinner. I liked it because it made my hair really easy to do, once you suffer through the process. It's also pretty expensive.

I think you look very good with the curly hair. I'm sure it will look good, once you shape it out. Also, maybe some mouse will help shape out the curls better, like you have in that older picture.

Ive always been a dreamer
01-16-2012, 03:10 PM
Well Nanc - we've been together so many times now that I get them all mixed up ... not complaining though cause we've had some really awesome adventures. :thumbsup: I'm pretty sure sure it was the Party of Two show in Aspen because I remember us sitting in the Denver airport when I noticed how much I loved your hair. Don't know if you have any pictures of that trip or not, but your hair was styled similar to the way it is in the Fleetwood Mac photo, except I think it was a little longer and the curl was a bit more relaxed.

I, for one, need all the hair help I can get - I have natural curls too. One day, I'll have to drum up some pictures and post here.

EagleLady
01-16-2012, 03:16 PM
I think your Hair is really lovely Nancy!

I keep mine as a Pixie Cut. It's easier to maintain that way.

Freypower
01-16-2012, 04:58 PM
I personally would love to see the photo... (but then, I dislike nearly every photo that's ever been taken of me, so I do empathise with you soda!).

But - if we could see a few more photos, it can only help with the styling suggestions!

One more question - how long does it take to grow - e.g. if you had it cut to just above your shoulders, how long would it take to grow it back to current length?

I might post a small version of it very briefly tomorrow but if Soda doesn't like it it can't stay up for long. I actually used it as my wallpaper last week.

sodascouts
01-16-2012, 08:59 PM

It takes a long time for my hair to grow - probably because it kinks up. I imagine it would take three years or so to grow it back.

I might post a small version of it very briefly tomorrow but if Soda doesn't like it it can't stay up for long.

Send it to me and I'll preview it - I'll give you a yea or nay on whether to post it.

Topkat - thanks for answering my question. Yeah, sounds like that Japanese treatment is not for me.

Plus, thanks for the nice comments, guys!

GlennLover
01-17-2012, 12:25 AM
I like your hair best in the Stevie photo too, Soda. My hair doesn't seem to be very healthy lately. It's dry, limp & hard to style. I never in my life had dry hair before. It has always been more on the oily side. I always had lots of body mainly due to the fact that I have a natural wave (which can be a curse) & a thick head of hair, although the hair itself is fine. The terrible cut that my hairdresser gave me the last time doesn't help either.

sodascouts
01-17-2012, 12:58 AM
The worst cut I ever had was by a friend of my mother's in Saudi Arabia. I was 12 and wanted a haircut like Jennifer Grey in Dirty Dancing (http://cdn.babble.com/famecrawler/files/2010/11/Jennifer-Grey-403x340-23kb-media-796-media-79449-1030078805.jpg). I didn't want to go to an Arab stylist who would have no idea what I was talking about since the movie was banned in that country. Instead, I used Mom's friend (another American "Mobil wife") who told me she knew just what I wanted because she had seen the movie, too. Plus, she assured me, she cut her two sons' hair all the time. Well, I guess cutting the hair of a 6-year-old boy takes less finesse than that of a 12-year-old girl. She did a botch job. My hair wound up looking like Alice's from the Dilbert cartoon strip. (http://itre.cis.upenn.edu/%7Emyl/DilbertConflictAvoidance1.jpg) After that scarring experience, I never had my hair cut that short again!

EaglesKiwi
01-17-2012, 04:15 AM
Well that's understandable! (Not wanting it cut that short again).

Hmm, so we have: fine hair, natural curl, takes a long time to grow, and you need something easy to maintain because you don't have time to foof around every morning...

(I'm stumped because I have very thick hair that's pretty much straight, the total opposite of yours LOL.)

Can you play around with it to get an idea of what it would look like shorter - either by clipping it up or on some "insert your photo into this hairstyle" type of thing? If it grows slowly I can understand your reluctance to do anything too significant.

TimothyBFan
01-17-2012, 10:40 AM
Well Soda, as you might expect, I'm rather fond of hair like yours. :wink: Probably because I have hair like yours. :lol:

It's funny, but just a few weeks ago, when I was having mine done, I told my niece who is also my hairdresser, that I wanted to let mine get longer to loosen up the curl a bit more. She says she's going to let my layers grow out and see if that's what I'm wanting. I actually am like a lot of people who have naturally curly hair, I crave for straight hair but it is much to time consuming and high maintenance. The only time it gets straightened is when I have it cut because Tricia razor cuts it straight. It last about 2 days and as soon as I wash it, right back to curly.

TK---you've peeked my curiosity with this Japanese hair straightening. I will be looking into it. Does it damage the hair much? I know there are straightening perms but they do damage the hair so I've always avoided it. Does the hair grow in straight also or does it stay curly coming in?

I usually don't do this, but I thought I would for this thread and since any of you that are FB friends have seen these anyways, I thought I'd go ahead and post a couple pics of my hair curly and straight. I want you to see what layers can do. I am very layered so that it does give it more definition in the curl.

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e136/williehoo/71515_1490706660182_1009445053_31075700_2471280_n. jpg

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e136/williehoo/Profilepic1.jpg

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e136/williehoo/Profilepic2.jpg

And after it had been straightened a day before. You can see that it's already starting to wave some again.

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e136/williehoo/Profilepic4.jpg

Topkat
01-17-2012, 10:53 AM
TK---you've peeked my curiosity with this Japanese hair straightening. I will be looking into it. Does it damage the hair much? I know there are straightening perms but they do damage the hair so I've always avoided it. Does the hair grow in straight also or does it stay curly coming in?

TimothyBFan: To answer your questions; No I don't feel that my hair is damaged from the process. In fact, it feels very soft & silky.
It does not grow in straight. The new hair will grow in as your hair normally does. (This means once it starts to grow in, you have to use a flat iron a little on the new hair) The problem is that your hair will have NO body, like Cher hair in the 60's. It is also flat. It won't be like the picture you posted with your hair blown out.

I will try to post some pics of my hair, so you can see.

TimothyBFan
01-17-2012, 10:57 AM
Please do because I'm really curious. How often do you have to have it done and is it really expensive?

Topkat
01-17-2012, 11:26 AM
I couldn't post a picture in here. I sent you a PM, TimothyBFan!

sodascouts
01-17-2012, 12:34 PM
If you don't mind, I'd love to see it too!

Willie - I want my hair to look like yours - the curly version, that is. While the straight version has a sleeker look, I think the curly version has more personality. JMHO.

Brooke
01-17-2012, 04:24 PM
I'd like to get my hair looking like it did in 2001 (in this photo, I'm wearing a headband):

http://buckinghamnicks.net/site/images/MyStuff2.JPG

That's what I was going for by growing my hair out again, but it doesn't seem to be happening, even though I'm not doing anything differently (I didn't use any product then, either). I know one can't turn back time, but it was only 10 years ago! Still, I'm opening to cutting it or at least doing layers.

I didn't wear bangs then, but I need bangs now to hide the scar on my forehead I got in 2006.

This is my favorite look for you Soda! Beautiful! I love long hair (surprised? :wink: )and I think yours looks fantastic there! Long hair is so versatile.

I think you maybe just need a few long chunky layers and probably some mousse for frizz. Do you like to put it all back in a ponytail or bun? If so, don't get any layers short enough that you can't get them pulled back into a ponytail. What is easier than long hair unless it is a pixie cut and those don't look great on everyone. I think you'd have to be a very tiny, fine-boned person to wear that.

I'm so jealous of anyone with long hair, curly or straight. Mine is mid neck length, fine, thin and stick straight and the older I get the thinner it gets. It was nice and thick when I was younger. I've been trying to grow it to just below shoulder length forever. Of course, I tend to cut it one month and then decide to grow out the next! Every time I get layers I wish I hadn't. :crazy:

Willie, yours looks great curly and straight! Love it! :thumbsup:

Henley Honey
01-17-2012, 06:15 PM
I'm so jealous of anyone with long hair, curly or straight. Mine is mid neck length, fine, thin and stick straight and the older I get the thinner it gets. It was nice and thick when I was younger. I've been trying to grow it to just below shoulder length forever. Of course, I tend to cut it one month and then decide to grow out the next! Every time I get layers I wish I hadn't. :crazy:

Willie, yours looks great curly and straight! Love it! :thumbsup:

Next time you go in for a check up, have the doctor check your iron levels. A simple supplement could do the trick and help thicken you hair back to "younger days". But I don't recommend taking it unless you have your levels checked first!

Isn't it funny how we all wish for different hair? Mine is pin straight and won't take a curl for anything. Maybe on a very humid day, I'll get a slight wave. Oh well. There's way worse things in life!

Topkat
01-17-2012, 07:32 PM
Taking an iron supplement can be very dangerous if you don't really need it, so don't just take one.. Other vitamins may help too. I think as you get older your hair just gets thinner, also if you dye it that also may make it thinner.

VAisForEagleLovers
01-17-2012, 07:57 PM
I agree with HH, Soda, something to try after checking with a doctor. Another thing, I saw in the Living Right thread that you've been losing weight. Make sure you're still getting enough protein. Makes a big difference in hair and nails!

Anyway, our hormones can change, but don't assume that whatever shampoos and conditioners you've been using have stayed the same. They often change things in order to manufacture things more cheaply and don't tell anyone. Or so I've read.

sodascouts
01-18-2012, 01:26 PM
I agree with HH, Soda, something to try after checking with a doctor. Another thing, I saw in the Living Right thread that you've been losing weight. Make sure you're still getting enough protein. Makes a big difference in hair and nails!

I was wondering about that, too. I've been restricting my diet a lot. Plus, some of you may remember I had a few epileptic episodes starting in October and when I went to my neurologist in December, she doubled my medications and told me I also needed to take more Vitamin D and folic acid. Just a couple days ago, I started taking a vitamin supplement. Maybe that will help.

As far as "Livin' Right," I'll be reaching a weight loss milestone soon, if I keep diligent on my calorie intake and exercising. I'll wait 'til then to post it!

VAisForEagleLovers
01-18-2012, 02:20 PM
Ah, various medications can have a huge effect on hair and nails and even skin tone, and it's never listed as a possible side effect. But mention it to your doctor, others may have mentioned it and he/she might have ideas on how to counteract it without compromising the meds themselves.

Glennsallnighter
01-19-2012, 06:29 AM
I hope you make that milestone Soda! Good luck!

GlennLover
01-21-2012, 02:23 PM
Good luck reaching your milestone, Soda! I know what it's like. I'm working towards one myself!

sodascouts
04-23-2012, 11:31 AM
I didn't ever update this, I realized today!

I got my hair cut about a month ago. It looks like a darker version of this:

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b141/glennfreyonline/misc/ElizabethShue1.jpg

At first it took some getting used to, but now I like it!

I remembered to update this thread when a lady at Starbucks told me I looked like Elisabeth Shue. I figured it was the hair - and indeed, her hair in this photo does look just like a lighter version of mine (on a good day).

(BTW, upthread, I mentioned a milestone; it was reached and surpassed, and now I've only got 10 more pounds to lose before I reach my ideal weight.)

Henley Honey
04-23-2012, 12:35 PM
What a shocker! You actually like it now? You were so unhappy the afternoon you got it cut!! I knew it would "grow" on you. Get it?

Brooke
04-23-2012, 01:28 PM
Pretty! Although a picture of you with your new cut would have been better, Soda! :fingerwag: Next time, on a good day, post one! Pretty please?!

sodascouts
04-23-2012, 02:14 PM
But I don't look as pretty as she does!

I'll give it a shot, though. If I ever get a good one, I'll post it.

Henley Honey
04-23-2012, 03:45 PM
But I don't look as pretty as she does!

I'll give it a shot, though. If I ever get a good one, I'll post it.

We'll take a couple of pictures in Atlanta!

GlennLover
04-23-2012, 05:45 PM
We'll take a couple of pictures in Atlanta!

I'll be anxius to see them :)!

Glennsallnighter
04-25-2012, 11:07 AM
So will I and we'll get a few more in Dublin in June.

sodascouts
04-25-2012, 02:46 PM
GA's referring to the fact that my family is vacationing in Ireland and the UK in June and, while there, I am hooking up with GA for an evening. Hopefully Troub and I can work out something as well.

Any other Brit fans who want to meet up - feel free to contact me!

Freypower
04-25-2012, 07:11 PM
Lucky you, Soda. If you could send me a postcard I would appreciate it. I will PM you the address if you no longer have it.

Brooke
04-26-2012, 09:40 AM
Wow, Soda! How fun!