PDA

View Full Version : Artists of the Decades

Ive always been a dreamer
01-17-2012, 04:43 PM
When I was searching for something on the board, I came across the picture of the Eagles when they were named RIAA Artist of the Century and it gave me the idea for this thread.

Who would you name as your top musical artist for each decade? Since the birth of rock and roll as we know it was in the 50's, we can start there and go through the first decade of this century. Wow - I can hardly believe that we have already completed more than a decade in this millennium, but I digress. I based my choices not on who my favorites are, but primarily on the artists’ influence and longevity. Some were easy choices, and others were a bit more challenging. When I get more time, I may even try to come up with my top 5 or 10 artists for each decade. Anyway, I know my list may be controversial in some cases, but here's what I came up with ...

1950's - Elvis Presley

Who else can it be, really? I'm sure you could make a good case for a few other very influential rockers like Chuck Berry or Buddy Holly. But, if you can only pick one, for me, it has to be the King of Rock and Roll where it all started.

1960's - The Beatles

Pretty much the same comments as above. Who else can it be, really? You also have to give honorable mention to The Rolling Stones for their longevity if nothing else, and there were quite a few other very influential artists in this decade. But, The Beatles are probably the most influential rock and rock artists of all time. It's hard to imagine anyone coming along that will bump them from their pedestal for a pretty long while.

1970’s – Eagles

This was a decade of incredible, influential music of many variations and genres of rock and roll, which makes the choice not quite as clearcut. The 70’s were when artists took the foundation laid by Elvis and The Beatles and really experimented with many musical styles. The music of 70’s may have had a larger collective impact than any one act. To pick a single artist, you have to consider Led Zeppelin, Elton John, Fleetwood Mac, Aerosmith, The Bee Gees, and Bruce Springsteen. I’m sure I’m leaving out some others, but these are the ones I thought of off the top of my head. So, while I admit that I’m biased, my choice is for the band that sold more records than any other artist of the decade, the band that gave country/California rock mass appeal, the band that most successfully melded all the musical genres together, the band that had the most influence on the country/pop music of today, and, yes, the RIAA Artist of the 20th Century – America’s greatest band … the Eagles.

1980’s – Michael Jackson

Again, this decade had a lot of great artist, including Madonna, U2, Bon Jovi, Journey, and Def Leppard to name a few off the top of my head. However, the King of Pop gets my vote simply because he is simply the biggest of many amazing acts that Motown produced. He also helped pioneer the music video age.

1990’s – Madonna

I know that Madonna is closely associated with the 80’s, but she is my choice for the 1990’s because she was a close runner up to M.J. in the 80’s, but her much of her influence and popularity carried over in to the 90’s. She has also proven herself to be very multi-talented. Plus, who in the 90’s was bigger – Nirvana, R.E.M., Celine Dion, Mariah Carey, Janet Jackson?

2000’s – Beyonce Knowles

It may be too soon to try to select a single artist from this decade because maybe the dust hasn’t settled yet. Some of the candidates that come to mind off the top of my head are Green Day, Eminem, Lady Gaga, and Cold Play. But, I’m not sure we know what the lasting influence of any of these artists is yet. I choose Beyonce because she is a carryover from the 90’s with Destiny’s Child and because she is multi-talented and about the biggest name around right now.

VAisForEagleLovers
01-17-2012, 05:06 PM
I'll be boring and tell you I agree with your choices, except for perhaps the 90's and 00's. I moved into Country music around 1990 and stayed there until the mid 00's, when I listened to Classic Rock and Contemporary Christian exclusively. So I'm not familiar with popular artists after 1990.

I will say that Alabama, as cross-over country, should get an honorable mention for the 80's. Judging by concert sales, Kenny Chesney should get an honorable mention for the 00's.

Freypower
01-17-2012, 05:24 PM
To me 'Artist of the Decade' should be the artist who singlehandedly defined what that decade was all about, and this should not really be based on personal preference. I really can only give two outright choices - Elvis Presley for the 50s and the Beatles for the 60s.

Much as I love the Eagles and despite their worldwide success they are still thought of by English critics in particular as representative of one genre, country rock, rather than all rock music. While this may be unfair, I would have to go with either Led Zeppelin or Elton John for the 70s.

I don't really think any one artist dominated the 80s but I suppose Michael Jackson would come close. As for the 90s and 00s in my opinion there was no domination by anyone at all and I would rather not make a choice. I would grudgingly nominate U2 as a possiblilty, but as I personally dislike them, I would go no further than that.

sodascouts
01-17-2012, 05:43 PM
Dreamer, I agree with most of your choices, but I'd have to disagree with the 90's and 00's as well. Madonna's heydey was the 80s; she had a few hits in the nineties, but the rest of the time was spent with her weird sex book and movies. Most people, when they think of Madonna, think of "Material Girl" and "Like a Virgin"; her nineties material has already pretty much faded from memory for the general public. Who here knows even one chorus of a nineties hit of Madonna's? I do, but even I would be hard-pressed to sing the chorus of more than three.

I think the nineties are best defined by groups like Nirvana or Pearl Jam who brought something new to the table rather than carry-overs like Madonna, Janet Jackson, or (as much as I love them) U2. Plus, a group like Nirvana is a heck of a lot more influential than the likes of Celine Dion and Mariah Carey, despite their sales figures.

Mrs Frey
01-18-2012, 10:37 AM
Well, Dreamer, you've certainly started a wonderful topic for debate!

I agree wholeheartedly and completely with your choices for the '50s, '60s and '70s, because those are, in that order, my favourite artists of all time! :grin:

I agree with your choice of Michael Jackson for the '80s, purely because I think he made an enormous impact, especially with his album, "Thriller", and the sheer mania that followed him around everywhere he went. I'm not really a fan, but I have to respect the fact that he was talented, and influenced a lot of other artists.

I don't really have a choice for the '90s or '00s. I'm not a fan of the music from these eras, except for a few songs here and there that I like, listen to and sometimes perform. I will therefore accept your selections.

Brooke
01-18-2012, 11:08 AM
I would definitely agree with Elvis and The Beatles for the 50's and 60's.

I'd probably have to say that Led Zeppelin would be my choice for the 70's even though I love the Eagles much more and they were my favorite. Or what about CSN & Y? They were probably more 60's I guess.

Michael Jackson definitely for the 80's. Garth Brooks and Alabama certainly made history in country music too.

90's or 00's? Don't have a clue.

Taylor Swift is certainly the darling of country music now.

Topkat
01-18-2012, 11:56 AM
Brooke, C,S,N & Y didn't get together until 1969, so they made their mark in the early 70's.

01-18-2012, 03:10 PM
To me 'Artist of the Decade' should be the artist who singlehandedly defined what that decade was all about, and this should not really be based on personal preference.

FP, I agree with you on this point; however, there are some decades where maybe a single artist didn’t solely define what the decade was about as I said in my earlier post about the 70’s. The 1990’s and 2000’s may be that way as well. Based on everyone's comments here, maybe we do need to let the dust settle a bit more before we can really evaluate these last two decades.

Much as I love the Eagles and despite their worldwide success they are still thought of by English critics in particular as representative of one genre, country rock, rather than all rock music. While this may be unfair, I would have to go with either Led Zeppelin or Elton John for the 70s.

That’s exactly why I seldom pay much attention to critics – they usually don’t know what they’re talking about. Many of them seem to have this weird notion that if it’s not hard rock, then it’s not rock and roll. As I said before, IMO, a large part of the Eagles’ legacy is that they were the most successful at closing the gap between many musical genres.

01-18-2012, 03:23 PM
Dreamer, I agree with most of your choices, but I'd have to disagree with the 90's and 00's as well. Madonna's heydey was the 80s; she had a few hits in the nineties, but the rest of the time was spent with her weird sex book and movies. Most people, when they think of Madonna, think of "Material Girl" and "Like a Virgin"; her nineties material has already pretty much faded from memory for the general public. Who here knows even one chorus of a nineties hit of Madonna's? I do, but even I would be hard-pressed to sing the chorus of more than three.

Soda, I appreciate what you’re saying about the 90’s, but can’t really agree with your comments here. To me, Madonna wasn’t just a carryover from the 80’s. She continued to reinvent herself throughout the 90’s and produced some of her most influential work including "her weird sex book and movies". I’m not saying her 90’s work is better or more well-known than her 80’s hits, but it was just as relevant, if not more, IMO. In addition, she proved herself capable of very fine acting and singing performances in the rock opera, Evita.

I think the nineties are best defined by groups like Nirvana or Pearl Jam who brought something new to the table rather than carry-overs like Madonna, Janet Jackson, or (as much as I love them) U2. Plus, a group like Nirvana is a heck of a lot more influential than the likes of Celine Dion and Mariah Carey, despite their sales figures.

I’m one that happens to think Nirvana is highly overrated. They may have brought something new to the table, but the brevity of their existence and catalog does not convince me that they are worthy of all of the accolades that are always bestowed upon them, and especially not the “Artist of the Decade”. I may have felt differently if the band had regrouped and continued to produce some ground-breaking music after the death of Kurt Cobain.

So as I said in my first post, if not Madonna, then who? The reason that I chose her in the first place is because I really couldn't make a strong case for anyone else. So, if not Madonna, then I’d be inclined to say that no artist single-handedly defined music in the 90’s. But, of course, as always, this is JMHO.

01-18-2012, 03:43 PM
Michael Jackson definitely for the 80's. Garth Brooks and Alabama certainly made history in country music too.

90's or 00's? Don't have a clue.

Brooke - Garth Brooks actually had most of his success in 90's I believe. I did consider him as a choice, but I had a hard time convincing myself that his music was that ground-breaking or influential. It definitely sold records though. Personally, I think Shania Twain was more influential in the 90's than Garth Brooks, but again, I can't say either should be called the "Artist of the Decade". I'm interested to hear what others have to say on all of this.

Freypower
01-18-2012, 04:29 PM
That’s exactly why I seldom pay much attention to critics – they usually don’t know what they’re talking about. Many of them seem to have this weird notion that if it’s not hard rock, then it’s not rock and roll. As I said before, IMO, a large part of the Eagles’ legacy is that they were the most successful at closing the gap between many musical genres.

But so were Led Zeppelin. It could be argued that because Zeppelin were 'hard rock' they covered that area too, which the Eagles really didn't (the Eagles did a few uptempo songs which weren't really 'hard rock' in the Zeppelin sense). The Eagles are always referred to as 'soft rock' even though I take your point about critics. I think that Led Zeppelin had more influence worldwide than the Eagles did across hard rock, folk and country as well as in the 'mystical' lyrics of many of their songs. The Eagles influence it seems to me was mainly confined to the United States, where country rock is a a major genre. Elsewhere if artists did country influenced songs they cited Gram Parsons, the Byrds, Dylan, even the Stones in their 'country' period, rarely the Eagles.

I think Led Zeppelin also had a larger than life mystique due to all the stories of their life on the road. The band members were also fairly well known. That can't be said of the Eagles, even today, where some would even struggle to identify Joe as a member.

Topkat
01-18-2012, 07:06 PM
I'm going to jump into this conversation with JMHO.

I have to agree that the 50's were Elvis

The 60's go to the Beatles and an honorable mention to the Stones

As for the 70's I'm going to go with Led Zeppelin, the Who, & CSN, who in my opinion started the whole soft rock, & strong harmony genre. It started at Woodstock & then they just blew up.

For the 80's, I'm going to have to put Madonna in the 80's. She hit the scene in about 85' and was a very strong influence for the rest of the decade.
80's also go to Micheal Jackson & Bruce Springsteen, who was also a huge influence.

The 90's in my opinion have to go to U2, & Nirvana. When Nirvana came out that was the end of the "hair band' era, & pretty much blew away all those pretty boys like Motley Crue, Warrent & Poison, & that genre was OVER. They have even said this themselves in a documentary. They said, when they heard Nirvana, they knew they were DONE! I am not a fan of Nirvana & I never really did "get it", but with them "grunge was born". They introduced a new sound that lasted throughout the 90's. The influence was strong & lasting.

For 2000, I'm not quite sure. The decade had a wide variety of pop. I can't really give credit to anyone in particular. In the rock genre, I'm going with Green Day. Their album, "American Idiot" was major & was turned into a Broadway show.

Just my 2 cents..

Freypower
01-18-2012, 08:58 PM
The Who's most influential decade was the 60s. Although they survived into the 70s they didn't produce very much new work. While Who's Next was released in 1971 and the film of Tommy in 1975 really their best work was behind them.

Topkat
01-19-2012, 11:19 AM
Although the Who started out in the late 60's, the Tommy album was released in 1969 & they toured it in the early 70's. The first rock opera was considered so innovative, they were invited to play it at the Metropolitan Opera House. The ONLY rock band to ever play there. I was there & saw this show. This was the best concert I have ever seen. They also were the first band to do "arena rock" playing the biggest stadiums in the UK & US. I think their influence was in the early 70's, but that's JMO, but I do agree that they started out in the late 60's.

Freypower
01-19-2012, 04:14 PM
The Who were formed in 1964. Their first hit, I Can't Explain, was in 1965. To me that is at best 'mid 60s', not late 60s.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_who

Topkat
01-19-2012, 05:49 PM
The Who released 6 albums in the 70's, just because they formed in 64, doesn't mean they had no influence in the 70's. They really didn't hit the US until they released Tommy in 1969. They were huge in the 70's. I still think they were a major influence on rock in the 70's. JMO

01-19-2012, 11:04 PM
The fact is that The Who released their first album in early 1965 just months after the Rolling Stones released their first album. I think that most people would consider the Stones as a band of the 60's, and that holds true for The Who as well. However, I do think there is some validity in the argument that much of The Who's success and influence carried over to the 70's. I think they released pretty much the same number of albums and had as many hits in the 70's than they did in the 60's, unlike the Stones who kind of faded in the 70's. This is the same argument I was trying to make for selecting Madonna as my artist of the 90's.

Now, jumping back to Nirvana ...

I don't get why they are so often credited with inventing 'grunge'. They were just one of several Seattle bands that were performing that style of music in the mid to late 80's, including Pearl Jam. I would also take issue with the notion that their influence was strong and lasting. Almost all of the grunge bands that gained notoriety in the 90's are no more. The grunge movement has pretty much died out. Again, Pearl Jam is about the only prominent grunge band that remains. IMO, they are the band that has had the most influence on that genre and deserves the most credit.

I remember this discussion coming up several years ago, and I did some web searching at the time. Nirvana seemed to be synonymous with overrated bands. Their name appeared near or at the top of virtually every list I saw. They were often times credited as being the most overrated band ever. Now, that's where they can get my vote as well.

01-19-2012, 11:43 PM
But so were Led Zeppelin. It could be argued that because Zeppelin were 'hard rock' they covered that area too, which the Eagles really didn't (the Eagles did a few uptempo songs which weren't really 'hard rock' in the Zeppelin sense). The Eagles are always referred to as 'soft rock' even though I take your point about critics. I think that Led Zeppelin had more influence worldwide than the Eagles did across hard rock, folk and country as well as in the 'mystical' lyrics of many of their songs. The Eagles influence it seems to me was mainly confined to the United States, where country rock is a a major genre. Elsewhere if artists did country influenced songs they cited Gram Parsons, the Byrds, Dylan, even the Stones in their 'country' period, rarely the Eagles.

I think Led Zeppelin also had a larger than life mystique due to all the stories of their life on the road. The band members were also fairly well known. That can't be said of the Eagles, even today, where some would even struggle to identify Joe as a member.

FP, I agree that Zeppelin crossed some musical genres as well, but I would argue that they didn’t do it as well or as successfully as the Eagles. I also agree that there may be some truth in what you say about the Eagles influence maybe being more confined to the U.S. It’s true that Zeppelin did have the mystique and recognition that you refer to. The Eagles, by their own volition, chose to remain rather anonymous as individuals in the 70’s. Even at the height of their fame, you didn’t even see their faces on their album covers. I'm not saying that Led Zeppelin isn't deserving because they were definitely influential, but I guess part of the problem I have with them is that much of their appeal is based on this mystique rather than their music. I think this is even more true today since their cult-like following doesn’t seem to have crossed over to younger audiences very well. I still believe that the Eagles’ music always did and still does have much more mainstream mass appeal across the globe than Led Zeppelins. Of course, it is purely a matter of personal preference about which criteria you value more in a band.

Henley Honey
01-20-2012, 08:19 AM

I'd recognize Robert Plant and Jimmy Paige if I saw them, but I couldn't pick the other two out of a lineup, so I have to disagree with you on your "fairly well known" statement. Plus, I couldn't tell you one single story about their life on the road. Now The Who -- I could quote you chapter and verse and I "came up" in the 70's.

TimothyBFan
01-20-2012, 10:51 AM
I'd recognize Robert Plant and Jimmy Paige if I saw them, but I couldn't pick the other two out of a lineup, so I have to disagree with you on your "fairly well known" statement. Plus, I couldn't tell you one single story about their life on the road. Now The Who -- I could quote you chapter and verse and I "came up" in the 70's.

:jawdrop:You need some educating!!! :laugh: You've surely heard the fish story, haven't you? Anyways, I could say the same of the Who. Don't get it and would never consider them a defining rock n roll band. But that's just me. :shrug: I could go on for pages about how I feel Zep should be at the top of this list!

As for grunge, NONE of those bands started grunge IMO. There was this little known artist by the name of Neil Young that had done that a decade or so before. :wink:

I honestly don't think I could even start to list 1 or 2 artist as Artist of the Decade. There are so many. Yes, there are those that probably had more of a bearing on rock n roll than others but I think this is one of those topics that everyone would have a very different opinion on. The obvious would always be Elvis, Beatles, Springsteen (ugh!!), Madonna, Michael Jackson but so many others that without them, there are a lot people that might not have gotten into music if they hadn't heard a certain band/artist/song. KNIM?

Topkat
01-20-2012, 11:19 AM
As for grunge, NONE of those bands started grunge IMO. There was this little known artist by the name of Neil Young that had done that a decade or so before.

There are arguments that Neil Young is known as the "Grandfather of Grunge" but Neil Young was hardly a "Little known artist" He was a major star in the late 60's & throughout the 70's not only with CSN, but as a solo artist. Young's sound was pre grunge, but is hardly the grunge rock that came out of the 90's.
None of these bands note Neil Young as influence to their sound.

The Seattle grunge movement started with Nirvana & Pearl Jam is to be credited here, as they came out right after Nirvana. BTW: Pearl Jam notes the WHO as their major influence & have often done WHO covers in concert. They were also invited to perform Who songs at the Kennedy Center Honors for the Who.

Yes, Nirvana is probably overrated, but due to the death of Curt Cobain & the success of Nevermind as a debut album, they have been elevated to "CULT STATUS"....
The main grunge bands of the 90's were Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, & Alice in Chains

TimothyBFan
01-20-2012, 11:23 AM
There are arguments that Neil Young is known as the "Grandfather of Grunge" but Neil Young was hardly a "Little known artist" He was a major star in the late 60's & throughout the 70's not only with CSN

Uh, yeah....NO KIDDING!!! It was a joke!! :headscratch:

Henley Honey
01-20-2012, 11:34 AM
:jawdrop:You need some educating!!! :laugh: You've surely heard the fish story, haven't you?

I guess I do! Never heard the fish story :shrug:-- sounds like a stinker! :hilarious:

Topkat
01-20-2012, 12:31 PM
Uh, yeah....NO KIDDING!!! It was a joke!!

OK, I can get this was a joke, but I never saw that he was related to the grunge movement, as I don't see his sound as grunge, nor do the bands of the 90's era. I never hear them credit Young as an influence on their music, so I never really got the "grandfather of grunge" title.

Now can someone explain the"fish story"? because I'm in the dark on this one!:huh:

TimothyBFan
01-20-2012, 12:40 PM
It even has it's own link on Wiki. LOL It's a true rock n roll legend tho no one from Zep says they even remember it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shark_episode

Here's another link.

http://rulefortytwo.com/secret-rock-knowledge/chapter-5/led-zeppelin-fish-story/

Do a google search and the stories are everywhere.

Topkat
01-20-2012, 01:04 PM
After reading that story, I'm kind of glad I never heard about it. Pretty gross! UGH...

01-20-2012, 01:04 PM
Well - To tell the truth, I had never heard the 'fish' story either, and I'm kinda glad. Am I the only one that finds that kinda ... err ... umm ... :yuck: ???

TimothyBFan
01-20-2012, 01:22 PM
Never said it was a good story. Aren't you all glad you asked?

01-20-2012, 01:30 PM
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Yes - an thank you so much for sharing that and educating us Willie. You never know what you'll learn next on The Border! :thumbsup:

Topkat
01-20-2012, 01:46 PM
You never know what you're going learn here.:censored:
I'm just glad that the Eagles weren't involved in this story!

Henley Honey
01-20-2012, 03:08 PM
Wow. Thanks for the education, I think. I don't know if I'm more skeptical or nauseous, but I do know it'll be a very long time before I'd consider having Red Snapper for dinner! :nausea:

Brooke
01-20-2012, 03:31 PM
:shock: I'd never heard it either! Can't say I'm glad I now have!

TimothyBFan
01-20-2012, 04:13 PM
Wow, I am really surprised no one else had heard of this. Hmmm...

Freypower
01-20-2012, 04:45 PM

I knew about it.

Regarding Dreamer's comment about the Rolling Stones 'fading' in the 70s their albums in that decade included Sticky Fingers (which I think is their best album), Exile On Main Street (which many think is their best album) and Some Girls (which is a great album).

Freypower
01-20-2012, 04:49 PM
OK, I can get this was a joke, but I never saw that he was related to the grunge movement, as I don't see his sound as grunge, nor do the bands of the 90's era. I never hear them credit Young as an influence on their music, so I never really got the "grandfather of grunge" title.

Now can someone explain the"fish story"? because I'm in the dark on this one!:huh:

A couple of Neil Young's 'hard rock' albums like Ragged Glory and the hard rocks songs on Rust Never Sleeps are often cited as being influential on the grunge movement. He just doesn't do the folky stuff like Harvest & Comes A Time much these days. I believe that Kurt Cobain used the line 'it's better to burn out than it is to rust' in his suicide note,not that that means anythhing.

Topkat
01-20-2012, 06:09 PM
Almost sorry I asked about that "fish story" It's kinda turning my stomach.
I was going to make fish tonight for dinner, but maybe now I'll have something else:yuck: LOL

Henley Honey
01-20-2012, 06:34 PM

Ummmm, Hello . . . . That's why I'm thinking that Led Zep was not all it was thought to be. Musically, I missed that boat. I just don't get it.
I don't mean for that to be an "atomic bomb" moment for all the hard-core Zepplin-Borderes to go crazy on me. I'm sure the band means the world to you -- I'm just stating my truth -- I don't get it and I could so live without it. But I get that Led Zep "does it" for so many of you -- and that is enough for me.

Freypower
01-20-2012, 06:57 PM
Really there are only two Zep fans on this board - Willie & myself, although I think Austin likes some of their work.

VAisForEagleLovers
01-20-2012, 07:31 PM
I love Zep!! I just don't think of them as defining a decade. Which is probably why I'm a member of this forum and not one dedicated to Zep. Seriously, the Eagles and Led Zeppelin are the only two artists I can think of that I always listen to any song of theirs played on the radio. (OK, Boston as well, I LOVE Boston). Other groups, depending on the song or mood, might get left behind and I tune into something else.

01-21-2012, 12:44 PM
Regarding Dreamer's comment about the Rolling Stones 'fading' in the 70s their albums in that decade included Sticky Fingers (which I think is their best album), Exile On Main Street (which many think is their best album) and Some Girls (which is a great album).

FP, you are right about this. When I made that comment, I was going from memory because I honestly don't recollect hearing that much about the Stones in the 70's. But, after reading your post, I went back and checked the band's discography and they were much more prolific in that decade than I can remember. Thanks for setting me straight.

Ummmm, Hello . . . . That's why I'm thinking that Led Zep was not all it was thought to be. Musically, I missed that boat. I just don't get it.
I don't mean for that to be an "atomic bomb" moment for all the hard-core Zepplin-Borderes to go crazy on me. I'm sure the band means the world to you -- I'm just stating my truth -- I don't get it and I could so live without it. But I get that Led Zep "does it" for so many of you -- and that is enough for me.

Amen, sista!!!