PDA

View Full Version : American Idol 2012

Brooke
01-19-2012, 12:24 PM
So, did anyone watch last night? I didn't think I would this year after being bummed that Scotty won last year, but I wanted to see Stephen Tyler so I did.

I thought there were a couple pretty good ones

Gabi ?? Very natural and cute

Phillip Phillips :crazy: very interesting!

The very first guy, black and very young looking, I thought he was good, but sooooooooo young!

Oh, and the girl that grabbed Stephen's butt, :thumbsdown:

Anyone else?

Topkat
01-19-2012, 12:56 PM
I have been watching American Idol from Day 1. I love the show. Having Steven Tyler on is just a bonus. He's a riot.

Brooke, I agree with your choices, Gabbi, & that very young black guy, (forgot his name also), but my favorite was Phillip Phillips. Wow he's very different & has a powerful voice.

Another guy I like is Colton Dixon. He was on last year & I think just missed out the top 12. Singing David Cooke's song was a difficult & risky choice, but I still think he's good.

We'll see how far these contestants go...It's just the beginning

Henley Honey
01-19-2012, 02:42 PM
I was very glad to see the girl who is living in the backwoods in a tent make it to Hollywood. Hopefully the whole experience will be life changing for her. Sounds like she's had a pretty tough life.

Topkat
01-19-2012, 04:41 PM
I think some of them are put through to the Hollywood round to give them a chance to get out of their circumstances, like the girl who lives in the tent & the guy with the pregnant wife who quit his job. They both were not that great, but were put to Hollywood round. They both won't last very long. Also, some get in by just being pretty. This bugs me, because they get by on their looks. I guess they put some people through knowing they will be gone after one or 2 days in Hollywood. Makes for good tv I guess.

Topkat
01-20-2012, 02:05 PM
Turns out that girl who lives in a tent has several arrests on her record..
She may not be able to continue, as that is grounds for dismissal on American Idol.

Brooke
01-20-2012, 02:37 PM
I wasn't too impressed with anyone last night except the hairy jazzy guy. He was.....different, to say the least!

I didn't catch the one that lived in a tent!

Topkat
01-20-2012, 04:01 PM
I was not impressed with anyone last night either. "Tent girl" was on the first night, but she's really not even that great.

They still have a lot more auditions, so hopefully there will be some talent showing up!

sodascouts
01-21-2012, 01:03 AM
I forgot it was on! I'll have to catch it online.

Brooke
02-14-2012, 04:15 PM
Has anyone been watching?

I caught it on Thursday and it was a bust. imo. Nothing but watching people puke! :scowl:

Is that what it is until they narrow it down to 20 or so?

sodascouts
02-15-2012, 09:23 PM
I am watching it but cattle calls and Hollywood rounds are often kind of boring. Lots of train wrecks, too. I usually wait until the show goes live with the top 24 to really start watching religiously.

ETA: Just found the list of songs cleared for performance this season (it was posted online). Don't expect to hear "All She Wants to Do Is Dance" or "Desperado" this year. Our guys' songs are nowhere to be found on the list, either as the Eagles or solo.

The closest we'll get is if a pair decides to do "Leather and Lace," which Stevie has cleared for AI's use.

Mrs Frey
02-16-2012, 06:31 AM
I watched "American Idol" for the sake of interest last Sunday afternoon. On South Africa's pay channel, M*NET, we are currently at the Hollywood group rehearsal stages. M*NET devotes several hours to "American Idol" on a Sunday afternoon, from 3 to 7pm.

The programme is interesting to watch for the most part, but generally I'm disillusioned with the whole "Idols" franchise, because having participated in our local "SA's Got Talent" in 2009, I know how the process works, and it has little to do with talent, and more to do with what makes good television. As far as I know, the "Idols" and "Got Talent" shows work on the same principle.

I'll continue to watch the programme when I can, and hopefully some real talent will emerge. In my opinion, there are actually too many of these talent shows nowadays, and few of the winners actually have any chance of longevity in the music industry, because most of them haven't done any actual hard work to get to the top. In the end, it's a combination of real talent and real hard work that leads to success.

Topkat
02-16-2012, 08:31 AM
I'll continue to watch the programme when I can, and hopefully some real talent will emerge. In my opinion, there are actually too many of these talent shows nowadays, and few of the winners actually have any chance of longevity in the music industry, because most of them haven't done any actual hard work to get to the top. In the end, it's a combination of real talent and real hard work that leads to success.

The show as been on 10 years, & Season 1 winner Kelly Clarkson, is still a huge success. Season 4 winner, Carrie Underwood also is still huge. That's longevity. Many non winners like Jennifer Hudson, & Chris Daughtry are also still very big. Many of them fade away, but most end up with music careers, which is what they are looking for. I think a lot of good talent has come off the show.
Yes, there are now too many talent shows on TV, but Idol was the first one & the success of the show has let to many copy cats & variations. It's entertaining. I think many of the contestants have been doing hard work before the show, playing local small places, trying to get discovered. I can already see a few really good singers in this years pool of contestants.
My picks so far are Creighton Fracker, Colton Dixon, Reed Grimm & Shannon Magrane. Tonights Vegas show should be interesting. Stay tuned.

Brooke
02-16-2012, 12:23 PM
I certainly agree with one thing, there are too many of these singing talent shows on tv now. The only one I care for at all is AI.

I think I'll wait for the top 24 to really start watching. It's just not really interesting at all right now. How long till that?

Topkat
02-16-2012, 04:14 PM
Brooke, tonight's show is when they pick the top 24. There should be some standout performances tonight. The Vegas round is always very good. This is usually a theme show, with some group & solos. Last year they did a Beatles theme which was fabulous.

BTW, if any of you had seen last season. Haley, James, Casey, & Pia all have recording contracts. They were in Top 10, but not in the finals.
I think if you get a recording deal from the show, that's about as good as it gets.

sodascouts
02-22-2012, 11:05 PM
OK, now that they're weeding 'em down, I'll pick a few faves from tonight:

I'm rooting for:

Jen Hirsch (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2W48UrPfH0)

Joshua Ledet (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJRcSBb75YY)

Erika Van Pelt (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVeImY5EgCk)

Philip Phillips (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWcIE7UuDIA&feature=related)

However, I liked almost all of them. Should be a good season!

Topkat
02-23-2012, 07:28 PM
Last night I was so bored with these auditions, I fell asleep. That never happens. I have been watching Idol since Day 1 of Season 1. I'm not really feelin' it for these kids, but so far I like Phillip Phillips & Shannon Magrane. I sure hope things start picking up soon because so far, I'm not too impressed!:-(

Henley Honey
02-23-2012, 08:16 PM
I'm hoping things get "kicked up a notch" when they actually start singing. Hearing their coming-up stories is all well and good, but I'll be glad when its more about what they bring to stage.

Brooke
02-24-2012, 10:48 AM
Yeah, same here.

Troubadour
02-25-2012, 02:04 PM
I much prefer American Idol to X-Factor. I'm not sure why. There is some real talent on this show. I like a lot of them at the moment... Looking forward to the live shows and listening to more of the singing. Phil Phillips is a cutie!

Topkat
02-28-2012, 01:07 PM
The guys take the stage tonight & it looks like they are adding a 13th guy to the mix. Wonder who that will be??

Brooke
02-28-2012, 02:34 PM
It's supposed to be one of the last four from last Thursday. Jermaine Jones, Johnny Keyser, Richie Law, or David Leathers Jr.

Topkat
02-28-2012, 04:33 PM
I want it to be Johnny Keyser. JLo was raving about him at his audition, but they didn't even show his elimination from Vegas. The other strong possibility is David Leathers, who I think was a tough elimination for them..

Topkat
02-28-2012, 07:42 PM
Here's Johnny's audition. JLo loved him. She says "He's sexy" the minute he left the room!

http://youtu.be/XY1n2J8sjFs

Brooke
02-29-2012, 10:57 AM
Well, I thought they were all very good. I don't even know how I would choose if I had wanted to vote!

Three of my picks to go would be Heejun Han, Jermaine Jones and the really young kid towards the end (Eben, I think). I just didn't think they stood out.

Topkat
03-01-2012, 11:08 AM
Of the girls last night, I thought the best were Erika Van Pelt (sang What About Love) Hallie Cavenagh (sang Reflections) and Elise Testone ( sang One & Only- Adele song)
I didn't vote, so we'll see what the public voted tonight. Should be an interesting evening

sodascouts
03-01-2012, 01:28 PM
I didn't get a chance to watch the show again - was working late - but from clips I saw, Skylar looked good and Hayley was struggling.

Brooke
03-01-2012, 02:17 PM
I really liked Skylar, Erika, and Elise too.

Something I noticed last night, the judges were really critiquing the girls and the night before with the guys they were just watching and telling them all how great they were. They did add a couple comments during the last couple guys, but I thought last night that that was pretty unfair.

Then I went back and watched the first part of the show, which I had dvr'd because I was late, and Randy did mention that they had been too soft on the guys the night before. JLo chalked it up to being the first night and all.

For what that was worth! :shrug: lol

Topkat
03-01-2012, 06:50 PM
I didn't like Skylar at all. I thought she totally ruined that Faces song, UGH...
I hope she goes home tonight, but she may have pulled in votes, who knows.
Yes, they were a little tougher on the girls, & I think they were making it clear who they want to go to the Top 13. With the guys, it was a real Love Fest!
They should be critical, that's their job. I didn't necessarily agree with everything they said, but they are the "experts"

Henley Honey
03-01-2012, 08:24 PM
You have to give them a lot of credit. They had to battle their fears while trying to find a good balance between having the right amount of enthusiasm and energy without being too hyped up in order to give their best vocal performance. Not an easy thing to do when you're as young and inexperienced as they seem to be.

sodascouts
03-01-2012, 11:10 PM
HH - I hear ya. These are brave kids. It makes me sad when they bomb, even if I find them annoying, and I hate to see the sad looks on their faces when they have to go home.

That said, I went back and watched their performances online, and the only one who got eliminated tonight that I really wish would have stayed was Jen Hirsh (the brunette who performed "Oh Darling" tonight when she was "singing for her life"). I sure wish they had chosen her as their third "wild card" choice instead of Deandre, the guy with big hair. He annoys me. His falsetto is not all that and he doesn't have the passion Jen has. Oh well, so be it; he won't be there much longer, methinks.

The other finalist I don't agree with is Heejun. I think he's getting by on his charm and personality, because his voice isn't nearly as good as the others up there. That will only last so long, though. As Jimmy Iovine said, "This is American Idol, not American Comedian."

Currently, my top 3 are Joshua Ledet, Phillip Phillips, and Elise Testone. Of course, it's still very early.

Here are my thoughts on their performances from earlier this week:

Girls

Erika Van Pelt "What About Love" - anybody who can pull off this difficult song has talent. It was a little trembly and it could have been more powerful, but I liked the little changes she made and she made it work. She's in my top 5.

Skylar Laine “Stay With Me” – cute little country rocker with a lot of sass! Perhaps trying too hard a bit when playing to the audience, but I liked her.

Hollie Cavanagh “Reflection” – she’s got a great voice, but she’s not quite there for me. I feel like she’s always on the verge of losing it.

Shannon Magrane “Go Light Your World” – she wasn’t bad, but it wasn’t really doing it for me. I think her nerves were getting in the way because her voice was a bit trembly, too.

Jessica Sanchez “Love You I Do” – she started out nervous but then really got into it. I like her.

Elise Testone “One and Only” – she really impressed me, singing so beautifully while playing the piano. There was a lot of emotion in her voice. I really like her a lot!

Boys

Jeremy Rosado “Gravity” – seems like a sweet guy and my heart broke for him when he cried tonight after "singing for his life", but I just don’t think he’s got what it takes vocally.

Phillip Phillips “In the Air Tonight” – There’s something really sexy about this guy’s intensity when he sings. That said, I adore the original song, and hearing him change an awesome melody to something… not as awesome wasn’t thrilling me. Still, this guy is a favorite. He’s the kind of vocalist I like – passionate. Plus, on a shallow note, he reminds me of Paul Rudd (http://gotchamovies.com/ul/photos/person/paul-rudd-1//3e775945c141030c8c89aa07c8650b5f-sc.jpg) who played Phoebe's husband on Friends and who I have found attractive ever since I first saw him in Father of the Bride.

Joshua Ledet “You Pulled Me Through” – This guy has stood out to me since the cattle call. His voice and passion is amazing. Right now, he is my favorite of all the finalists.

Heejun Han “Angels” – not that great, sorry.

Colton Dixon “Decode” – I love the pianists, but he’s a bit over the top for me. I like drama, but his was gratuitous and distracting. Definitely not the strongest vocalist of the guys.

Jermaine Jones “Dance with my Father” – he’s got a lovely voice, but he doesn’t really capture my attention. Maybe different song choices will make him more interesting.

Deandre Brackensick “Reasons” – I don’t really go for the screechers; he has talent, but it’s not my kind of voice.

PS Good riddance to Adam Brock, Mr. "White Chocolate." Gag me!

Topkat
03-02-2012, 12:04 AM
I'm glad Erika got in, She rocked that Heart song.
As for Jen, I didn't like her screaming. If you saw The Voice, some girl on that show really rocked 'Oh Darling" much better than Jen did it.
Here's the clip;
http://youtu.be/zkhb1VFdeuY

Of the girls, I like Erika, Elise & Jessica. Shannon is pretty good too, as I remember her from Hollywood week.

My top picks are Phillip Phillips & Colton Dixon. Colton was on last year, but missed the Top 24. This is his year. In an early prediction, I think they will be the final 2.

Mrs Frey
03-02-2012, 06:47 AM
Thanks for the YouTube clip, TK. I didn't hear the version done on "American Idol" (I don't think we're that far along yet in South Africa), but I thought this was a good version - Paul McCartney would be proud.

Brooke
03-02-2012, 03:23 PM
I just read an interesting article about the preliminary AI process from a local guy. I don't know him personally, but he lives about 20 miles from me.

http://www.palmyra-spectator.com/articles/2012/02/29/news/doc4f45054b105f9192156430.txt

Closest I've been to knowing an Idol! lol

sodascouts
03-07-2012, 11:49 PM
It's cool that they had a tribute to Whitney Houston but since none of these girls can compete with her vocally, I'm not sure it did any of the female contestants any favors!

Joshua Ledet ("I Wish") – I love this guy, but I thought his rendition was a little cheesy, especially the shout-out to J-Lo. I think he does better with songs that take a passionate, deep delivery as opposed to lighter material.

Elise Testone ("I'm Your Baby Tonight") – Another one I like who wasn’t at her best tonight. Maybe she was nervous, or maybe her voice just wasn’t cut out for the song. It sounded very forced. She didn’t seem to be feeling it, and it wasn’t working for me.

Jermaine Jones ("Knocks Me Off My Feet") – I usually don’t go for the guys with the deep voices, but it fit the song and I liked it.

Erika Van Pelt ("I Believe in You and Me") – I like her, but I wasn’t sure she could pull this song off. I was pleasantly surprised. I think she rocked it. The only thing is, since there weren’t a lot of vocal acrobatics, she might not get votes.

Colton Dixon ("Lately") – I decided to listen to this without watching it so my dislike of his style didn’t affect me. I still wasn’t impressed. There were nice moments, but overall, I found it weak.

Shannon Magrane ("I Have Nothing") – This poor girl. You can see her nerves and a song like this takes power and confidence. I cringed when she wobbled on the big note. She certainly wasn’t awful, but she sure didn’t nail it.

Deandre Brackensick ("Master Blaster") – He wasn’t bad, but he was trying too hard to look like he was having fun with it when I thought it was pretty evident he wasn’t, lol. Nice note at the end, though!

Skylar Laine ("Where Do Broken Hearts Go") – I didn’t think she was going to be able to do justice to this, but I was wrong. She started out a little uncertain and I was thinking “uh-oh”, but by the end… dang! She was great!

Heejun Han (“All is Fair In Love”) – man, he makes me laugh! But I’m afraid he might be relying on that to carry him through. He does well when it’s soft, but he can’t really do the powerful singing. He’s not bad, but he just isn’t as good as the others.

Hollie Cavanaugh (“All The Man That I Need”) – same criticism as before – great voice, but visible nerves. Once she overcomes that, she is going to be a powerhouse!

Jeremy Rosado (“Ribbon in the Sky”) – I wanted him to do well tonight because I felt so bad for him last time. Still, I was prepared for him to freak out and bomb. I was happy when he did a very good job with it. It wasn’t perfect, but it was very well done.

Jessica Sanchez (“I Will Always Love You”) – such a mature voice! She really seemed to be feeling it despite her young age, and I loved it. The trembly thing in her voice that I usually don’t like actually fit the emotion of the song, so it worked!

Phillip Phillips (“Superstition") – Here’s another one I listened to without watching so I didn’t get distracted by his pretty face. Still loved it. Phillip Phillips rocks! (However, Steven Tyler's "You just ARE" so-called critique was completely bizarre.)

Favorite girl of the night: Jessica Sanchez
Least favorite girl of the night: Shannon Magrane

Favorite guy of the night: Phillip Phillips
Least favorite guy of the night: Heejun Han

Topkat
03-08-2012, 12:36 AM
Some good performances tonight, & some not so great.

I thought Elise would have done better, Tonight she was not great.
That girl Skylar I think is so Horrible. I can't stand that twang in her voice & she is nasal. For me, she was the worst, even worse than Shannon. Skylar will go through due to the perky personality, but I don't know how much longer I can stand her. Jessica, was by far the stand-out girl tonight.
As for the guys, for me Colton & Phillip are the best. All the rest were OK, not terrible. I guess we'll see who gets the boot tomorrow. It should be interesting!

Topkat
03-08-2012, 10:11 AM
I am predicting the Bottom girl will be Shannon, & the bottom guy will be Jeremy.
Going home: I think Shannon. She took on a song that was just too big for her voice.

Brooke
03-08-2012, 11:12 AM
I really liked Jessica and Phillip.

Bottom two for me: Heejun and Shannon

sodascouts
03-08-2012, 04:45 PM
I'm betting Shannon will go, too. If I understand correctly, one girl and one guy gets put in the bottom and then the judges make the call about which one goes. I don't really like this new development of the "judges' call" and I hope it's a one-time thing, but in my opinion, it makes it more likely for Shannon to go. The judges made it clear that they think she blew it last night - and hey, she did, poor thing. The only thing that could save her is the pity-vote.

Topkat
03-08-2012, 07:21 PM
I just heard through FB that Phillip Phillips had to be rushed to the hospital & 911 was called. He was suffering from severe abdominal pain. He has been released & will be at tonight's show, but who knows how this will affect his future on the show. I'm sure they will address the issue on tonight's show.
The drama never ends. I hope he is OK & can continue to perform.:pray:

sodascouts
03-08-2012, 08:28 PM
Oh no! It seems every year we have at least one contestant rushed to the hospital. I certainly hope all is well with him now.

sodascouts
03-08-2012, 10:01 PM
Well, I feel bad for Jeremy, but it was only a matter of time before he left. There's no way he was going to be "the next American Idol." Certainly Elise has more talent. In fact, she had no business being in the bottom two,IMHO! I think she's great! Shannon must have gotten the pity-vote after all. I guess I'm going to have to get off my butt and start voting, eh?

BTW, J-Lo better be careful with those low-cut tops. If she had leaned over just a wee bit more, the audience would have gotten more than they bargained for.

Topkat
03-08-2012, 10:25 PM
I was not surprised to see Jeremy leave. I picked him for the Bottom guy. Elise did not turn in a good performance last night. I think that the song she sang didn't really suit her & she took a hit from the judges. We've seen better from her. Shannon squeaked by this week, but next week all these bottom 5 better bring it on BIG, because they aren't pulling in votes.

You have to remember that Idol is not just a singing competition, it's also a popularity contest. I knew Heejun would not be in the bottom. He's very popular. He's funny, he's got the bromance going on with Phillip & he's got fans. It's not all about the singing, especially at this stage of the competition.

As we've seen in the past....the best singer doesn't always win!

Note; JLo is always taped into her dresses! LOL

Brooke
03-09-2012, 11:03 AM
I thought the same about JLo's top! A bit much there!

And yeah, the best singer doesn't always win. I swore I wouldn't watch again after last years catastrophe with Pia (?). But here I am! lol

sodascouts
03-09-2012, 02:06 PM
Honestly, I think Jessica might get Pia'd. She's got a great voice, is an early frontrunner, but isn't really displaying much personality. I doubt she'll make it to the end. We'll see!

Topkat
03-09-2012, 03:04 PM
Right now Jessica is the favored girl, but she is also very young & shy. I think she is only 16. If she sings standing still & straight keroke she may get Pia'd. Pia was boring; that's why she got the boot. The ones that show originality & a lot of personality do get further in the competition. We'll see how it plays out. One great performance doesn't seal the win!

Troubadour
03-10-2012, 06:46 PM
Phillip mentioned having numerous kidney stones during the audition process, so it's possible that was the cause of his visit to the doctor. At any rate, he looked well during the results show - hopefully it is nothing too serious.

I think there is so much talent this year. I was sad to see Jeremy go, but not especially surprised. I think, given the right song, Elise could be fantastic. I love the raspy edge to her voice. Erika is fabulous, as is Jessica. Skyler is great because she knows exactly what kind of singer she is, and she has the kind of guts and broad appeal that will win her lots of female fans.

I am a big fan of Joshua. I also think DeAndre could blow us all away when he gets the right song. His rendition of A Woman's Work was stunning! He is different and he has rhythm and style, which I love. Definitely one to watch. I think Colton will last a while in this competition. He seems like a sweet guy and his indie rock thing will appeal to a lot of the younger voters. I don't think we've seen the best of him yet.

I actually understand what Steven Tyler meant with the "You just are" comment to Phillip. He is totally comfortable in his own skin, he does his own thing, and it is completely natural. I love him. I do think that Jimmy Iovine had a point though, when he said that Phillip could get overshadowed by some of the "vocal fireworks" as the competition goes on.

I can't wait to see what happens next week!

sodascouts
03-10-2012, 07:20 PM
I watched Jessica's performance again online, and I think Randy over-praised her. It was a stunning vocal, but Randy's praise especially was so over the top that it made me go "Come on" and distracted from the praise her performance truly earned.

If you don't remember what he said, his exact words were: "You were not only the best vocal of the night - I think you are the best singer in the whole competition!" OK, I can buy that - even agree with it - but then he goes on to say: "America - this is one of the best talents in the WHOLE COUNTRY!"

Does he truly believe that?! That she's up there with people like Sarah McLachlan? Aretha Franklin? Mariah Carey? Christina Aguilera? And that's just off the top of my head. The answer: Um, no. It takes more than holding some power notes in a singing competition to deserve those kind of accolades.

Plus, I don't think that is one of the hardest songs to sing ever, as Randy claimed. You have to be able to hold notes with strength and have good range, but it's not too complicated. There's one high note you have to hit a few times, but the rest of it is not too difficult.

So, you see what his over-praise made me do? Find fault with a wonderful performance by comparing it with other ones by seasoned professionals, as Randy invited us to. He drew my attention away from how much she shined over her competitors by asking us to compare her with the rest of the singers in the country instead. She can't help but suffer by comparison to the pros.

J-Lo and Steven gave her deservedly high praise, but since Randy went first, I was still shaking my head.

Here it is - you decide if this performance ranks her among "the best talents in the WHOLE COUNTRY!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ayYNAEs0few

Henley Honey
03-10-2012, 08:48 PM
Her performance blew me away. Instead of the bad karoke version that so many have done in the past, I think she really did justice to the song.

I have to disagree, Soda. I think it's a very difficult song to sing. Low bravado in the beginning, the quick scale changes and holding the long, powerful notes seem toughest to me. The high note seems easy in comparison.

Best in the Country? I'm not qualified to judge but the girl has some pipes.

Topkat
03-12-2012, 01:43 PM
I think Jessica did a nice job with the song. I guess I just have a dislike for that song because when it came out, it was the most overplayed song. You heard it every 5 minutes. That song & "My Heart Will Go On" by Celine Dion. These 2 songs I have really grown to hate because of the OVEREXPOSURE.

I also prefer a male vocalist over a female. It's just my own personal taste. There are very few female vocalist that I really enjoy. I don't really have a reason for this, it's just my personal taste.

I think Jessica will go pretty far in the competition, but I don't think she will win.

Topkat
03-13-2012, 05:30 PM
Sob story was made up to gain sympathy votes by Idol finalist! Guess who's going home next week?

http://www.tmz.com/2012/03/13/american-idol-jermaine-jones-lie-father-dad-welcome/?icid=maing-grid7%7Cmain5%7Cdl2%7Csec1_lnk2%26pLid%3D143174#.T 1-7qDFmJ9

sodascouts
03-13-2012, 05:58 PM
And he seemed so sweet...

But he must be as dumb as a brick. You can't make up a lie like that with all of America watching and your father in the freaking audience! How could he not realize he was certain to be called out on it?

Topkat
03-13-2012, 11:25 PM
Latest report is that he will be kicked off the show for concealing violent criminal past!!! Oh boy, the drama continues....

Brooke
03-14-2012, 10:14 AM
Good grief, the things people will do! :headshake:

Topkat
03-14-2012, 06:41 PM
Producers confront Jermaine Jones on the show tonight; Stay tuned

http://www.mjsbigblog.com/idol-producers-confront-jermaine-jones-he-was-very-apologetic-video.htm

Troubadour
03-14-2012, 06:50 PM
Shame. He has talent.

sodascouts
03-14-2012, 10:50 PM
I'm just going to comment on the drama later and stick to the singers in this post.

Phillip Phillips ("Hard to Handle") - He rocked! Very sexy, too. He shows you don't have to do vocal acrobatics to put in a memorable performance on Idol.

Jessica Sanchez ("Turn the Beat Around") - Great vocal! I appreciate she was trying to amp up the personality, which is smart. Steven Tyler needs to shut up about her never doing anything but ballads. However, to me, she still seemed to be trying too hard, and this is a song that's supposed to be about partying and fun. She didn't look like was having fun, and that's a problem. Shallow note: I wasn't as taken by the glitter pants as the judges. Yikes!

Heejun Han ("Right There Waiting") - Ouch. He blew it. I think he hit one power note and the rest were all over the place. Keep up the jokes, Heejun, because otherwise you're going home.

Elise Testone ("Let's Stay Together") - I love her bluesy voice. I thought she did a great job. I hope she stays around.

DeAndre Brackensick ("Endless Love") - I was impressed by him this week. When he's not shrieking or doing falsetto, he has a nice tone. Yeah, he missed a couple notes, but it was good overall. The irony is that what I liked, the judges slammed! Jimmy was right! LOL at the premature commercial effects while they were still judging!

Shannon Magrane ("One Sweet Day") - She started out weak but she really improved in the second half. She didn't blow me out of the water, but she was good. Oddly the run that the judges gushed over was just "eh" for me. What I loved was when she got into the spirit of the song in the second half. BTW, what's up with the judges saying "You have 20,000 songs to choose from" when there are only like a hundred that the producers have cleared for them to choose from?

Colton Dixon ("Broken Heart") - His did really well with this song, except for a couple missteps. For the first time in this competition, I enjoyed his performance.

Erika Van Pelt ("Heaven") - Shoot, I like her voice, but she didn't pull it out this week. Her voice seemed to fighting with the song. The nail in the coffin was the rhythm change up at the end that really blew the momentum. I wouldn't be surprised if she got sent home.

Skylar Laine ("Love Sneakin' Up on You") - She's really impressed me with some of her past performances, and this was well sung, but it was pretty boring until she made some change ups near the end.

Joshua Ledet ("When a Man Loves a Woman") - Dang, he WORKED it! I was surprised when the judges stood up BEFORE he was done - has that happened before? - but hey, I was feelin' it. Nice, Joshua, nice. Jennifer's "The best thing I've ever seen on American Idol" was a bit much though. They were over-praising Jessica last week; now it's Joshua's turn, I guess. Still, I loved it!

Hollie Cavanaugh ("The Power of Love") - I wasn't sure about this one, but when she amped it up, it worked! Didn't quite hit the money note at the end, and it's a shame to end like that, but it was otherwise good. However, when JLo said "to criticize [little mistakes] would be silly"? Um, isn't that what judges are supposed to do, Jennifer? Shallow note: AWFUL outfit!

Faves: Phillip Phillips and Joshua Ledet

Who Should go home: Heejun Han

Note to J-Lo: You need to chill with all the flirtatious remarks. Some of them were making me downright uncomfortable! No matter how sexy you are, you're still gonna come off like a cougar talking to teenage boys like that.

Overall note to the judges: THERE ARE OTHER COMPLIMENTARY ADJECTIVES BESIDES "BEAUTIFUL"!

Topkat
03-14-2012, 11:16 PM
I thought there were some really disappointing performances tonight;

I didn't like Jessica at all. It was not her style & she didn't pull it off. Diana Degarmo sang that song in Season 3 & really nailed it...Jessica was really weak.

Phillip; As much as I love this guy, it was just OK for me. He's just had surgery so maybe he wasn't in full form, but it was good enough to get through.

Elise; Another poor performance. She made a mistake. The judges didn't point it out, but she made a face, like she knew she messed up.
She will be in the Bottom 3

DeAndre; This song was all over the place, I just didn't like it. This guy can only sing certain songs, his voice just doesn't have range.
Bottom 3

Heejun; Another hot mess. He will get by another week though

Colton; My personal favorite tonight. I didn't know this song, but I loved whatever he did with it!!

Joshua; Yes, it was good, but was it the best thing I've ever seen on Idol,
Ugh, NO WAY.

Shannon; She may get by another week, but she won't be lasting much longer. Possible Bottom3

Erika; I thought her voice sounded really good, but the way they phrased the song & the arrangement kind of spoiled it. Another possible for Bottom 3

Hollie; She was pretty good, she will breeze by

Best tonight, COLTON & JOSHUA
Bottom 3; ELISE , DEANDRE & either HEEJUN or SHANNON

Going Home; ELISE

Topkat
03-15-2012, 09:35 AM
After thinking about it, I don't think they will be sending anyone home tonight, due to the elimination of Jermaine...It would disrupt the flow of the show by losing 2 contestants this week. Methinks, Everyone is staying another week!

Of course they won't say anything till the end of the show to keep the suspense factor. They will pick a bottom3, & then Ryan will drag it out till the end in typical Idol fashion.

Brooke
03-15-2012, 10:04 AM
I really liked Hollie, Skylar, Phillip, and Joshua the best of all the performances.

If anyone goes home I think it will be Heejun or Elise.

As for Jessica, I liked her mixing it up and doing Turn The Beat Around. If she sticks with ballads every time it will get boring. Come on Steven, aren't they supposed to do different things to show versatility?

sodascouts
03-15-2012, 02:34 PM
After thinking about it, I don't think they will be sending anyone home tonight, due to the elimination of Jermaine...It would disrupt the flow of the show by losing 2 contestants this week. Methinks, Everyone is staying another week!

Of course they won't say anything till the end of the show to keep the suspense factor. They will pick a bottom3, & then Ryan will drag it out till the end in typical Idol fashion.

I wondered about that, but if so, Ryan shouldn't say things like "Who do you think's in danger?" to the judges like he did last night. It would be tres lame to do a last-minute "save" but you know what? I bet you're right and they will. I guess we'll see!

Brooke
03-15-2012, 02:56 PM
I didn't like Ryan's question either. I'm glad Steven and Jennifer didn't answer. I hope he doesn't continue to ask it. Seems like a good way to throw the votes.

Topkat
03-15-2012, 06:05 PM
The show is slotted to run a certain number of weeks, to have another elimination would make them short a week. Not gonna happen...

I didn't like Ryan's question either, but I do believe he has done that before. I think the judges gave their opinions & made it pretty clear who they liked & who they didn't. Sometimes when they say someone is in danger of getting the boot, it backfires & people will vote heavy for that person to save them. This is why I think Heejun will be safe tonight. He's not going anywhere!

Ryan's best line last night was to Shannon, "Thank you for wearing flats tonight":heart: I love Ryan

Topkat
03-15-2012, 09:13 PM
Well, I was a little surprised to see that Shannon was the one to go!! She's a sweet girl & very young. She will be fine... A little sad to see her miss out on the tour.:-(

Maleah
03-15-2012, 10:05 PM
I wasn't suprised at all to see Shannon go. She seems like a sweetheart and she's talented, but I thought she had struggled a bit on the live shows.

I haven't commented in the AI thread yet this year, so I'll just comment on the contestants real quick. For the guys, I LOVE Joshua Ledet! He's been my favorite since the first time I saw him perform on there. So much passion and power in his performances. I also love Phillip Phillips and Colton Dixon. Phillip is just so fun to watch, his smile is contagious, and his eyes sparkle. He doesn't have the power and the vocal acrobats, but he has stage presence and likeability. I've liked Colton since last year on Idol. He doesn't have the voice I generally go for, but I just like HIM. I've followed him on twitter for quite a while and he's just a good guy. Heejun absolutely cracks me up and I actually really love the tone to his voice, but he picks out really bad songs for himself imo. Don't care for Deandre at all.

For the girls....LOVE Elise's voice! I love the raspy soulfulness. I also like Erika, but she has to pick better songs for herself imo. She can get that rasp that I like in there too! Jessica is one of my favorite's too. Hard to believe she has such a powerful voice at such a young age! Hollie has a crazy powerful voice too, and coming from such a tiny little thing! lol Shannon generally wouldn't be my favorite voice, but she has stage presence and personality.

I think that covers them? lol

sodascouts
03-15-2012, 11:15 PM
I wonder if Shannon was shocked that she was not "saved," considering the situation? They're going to have to work it out logistically somehow, being a contestant short.

I still want Heejun gone, but I don't mind Shannon leaving (although I am surprised it was so soon).

Maleah - I was wondering what you were thinking of the contestants this year! Perhaps I'm being too hard on Colton, but there's something about his stage presence that doesn't really click with me.

Maleah
03-15-2012, 11:43 PM
lol Yeah like I said, he's normally not the type of artist I'm a fan of. On the right song I really do like his voice. I can't say his stage presence really grabs me either, but I'm a big fan of him as a person!

I know a lot of people are hating all of these singing shows, but I love them! lol I love AI and The Voice especially! I enjoyed X Factor, but it turned into too much of a "this judge vs this judge" type of thing. By that I mean they weren't genuinally judging or offering up advice by the end of the show. Instead it turned into personal attacks on the contestants just to annoy their "mentor." I especially noticed this between LA/Simon and Nicole/Simon.

Maleah
03-15-2012, 11:51 PM
Oh and now that Jermaine and Shannon are gone, my next two to go would be Deandre and Heejun. I like Heejun better, a LOT better in fact, but I would guess that he would be next.

sodascouts
03-16-2012, 03:35 AM
I'm with you there, Maleah. Those are two of my least faves.

Topkat
03-16-2012, 07:18 AM
Well, the one thing I knew for sure was that Heejun was not going. He didn't even get into the Bottom3.

As for Colton, I also liked him last year & was upset when he just missed out on the Top 24. I also follow him on Twitter since last year. I adore him. He's a sweet guy & I do think he has huge talent. His style has changed a bit since last year, but I still really like him. I thought his performance the other night was great, really reaching for some big notes. I think he can be the dark horse in the competition, & really sneak up as the weeks go on, kind of like David Cook did a few years ago. He didn't start out in the top of the pack, but watch out. I think Colton will really be hitting it big in the weeks to come. I do think he will make the Top 3.

Did you notice that the Bottom 3 was all girls? I do think that Elise & Erika will probably be the next to go unless they pull out something spectacular.

Overall, I don't think the talent on the show is as good as last year or Season 8, which I think had the best talent.

I am also watching The Voice, & I think the singers on that show are better than most of the Idols. To me XFactor was a total flop & I agree that it became a war of the judges. Also, I thought the staging of the singers was so over the top with all the dancers & light shows. It was too much & it didn't focus on the singers. I'm glad that little Rachel Crow is on her way to stardom. She's a little powerhouse vocalist & adorable personality. She will be staring in her own TV show, that they are writing just for her! She also has a recording contract.:thumbsup:

Brooke
03-16-2012, 10:22 AM
I didn't get to see it last night, but can't say I'm sad to see Shannon go. She's good, but just not ready imo.

Troubadour
03-16-2012, 06:37 PM
I have just watched the results show. We get AI one day late over here in the UK, so I have to stay out of this thread until I actually see the show to avoid spoilers!

I was not surprised to see Shannon go. She is very sweet, and definitely talented, but she didn't quite stand up there vocally with the others. I think in a year or so, if she works on her nerves and relaxing when she sings, she will be fantastic!

I was a little surprised that Heejun wasn't in the bottom three. I love him, but I think it is only a matter of time before he goes.

My favourite on the night was Joshua, although I liked quite a few of the performances. I have seen some videos on YouTube of Colton singing his own songs at the piano, and he is really, really good. I think he will go a long way. I differ from some of you in that I love Deandre! I don't think he has shown just what he is capable of yet in the live shows, but he has serious talent. When he sang 'A Woman's Work' in the auditions, I was spellbound. I would love for him to just settle down a bit, relax, and blow everyone away with a really haunting ballad.

sodascouts
03-21-2012, 10:01 PM
Deandre ("Only the Good Die Young") - it didn't seem like he was feeling it; it was awkward. Unimpressed.

Erika ("New York State of Mind") - another awkward, weak performance. I used to love her, but she's underperformed one too many times. Unless things change, I am off the Erika train. As for her new look - I hate it. I feel bad for her; it wasn't her idea and there's no turning back now.

Joshua ("She's Got a Way") - I had high hopes for this, but I got concerned when he said he wasn't connecting with it. He did very well, but it wasn't his best performance by a long shot.

Skylar performed while I was on the phone, so I missed her. If I catch her performance online, I will edit my post.

Elise ("Vienna") - love her voice! She started out gorgeous and ended less strongly, but overall I really liked it. I don't like the whole walk-through-the-audience thing but that's just me and it doesn't make me like her voice less. However, as much as I think she was great, I also think she got over-praised. It was excellent but not stunningly magnificent.

Why do the judges have to gush so much when they like a performance? Not every good performance is a "moment." I remember when standing ovations were few and far between. Now you get at least one per episode, usually more.

Phillip ("Movin' Out") - very different from Billy Joel's version and not an improvement. Where's the defiance and spirit? Did he listen to the lyrics? I usually love this guy but not so much tonight. BTW what was up with Diddy's little groupie girls hanging around during the mentor session and Diddy telling Phillip to sing to them? Awkward!

Hollie ("Honesty") - I was nervous about the high notes but I thought she made it work. The money note could've been stronger but I still really enjoyed her performance. Ironically, I thought the judges underpraised this one. I liked it a lot!

Heejun ("My Life") - what a great fake out at the beginning! This was perfect for him and for the first time I really enjoyed Heejun. Well-played, Heejun. Well-played.

Jessica ("Everybody Has a Dream") - Although Diddy can be silly, he gave her great advice. She does overuse vibrato. She cut back on that, which I appreciated, but I still thought she went over the top with how she sang it. She can hit the notes, but can she make me feel the emotion of the song? Not this time. Of course, the judges gave yet another standing ovation and gushed all over the place. Sigh. Great dress, though!

Colton ("Piano Man") - my fave Billy Joel song. If there was anything that could win me over, it would be him pulling it out for this song. He didn't quite get there, but he almost did, and it's the most I've enjoyed him this competition.

This was not a great week for the contestants, IMHO. Nobody blew me out of the water. For a fave, I'll say Elise with Hollie a close second.

Least fave: Deandre.

Topkat
03-21-2012, 10:51 PM
Well, here's my rundown:

DEANDRE: "Only the Good Die Young" He seems very young & inexperienced, The vocal was OK, but the forced dancing was a bit distracting

ERIKA: "NY State of Mind" I liked the vocal on this. As for the look, I like the short hair, but why make it black?

JOSHUA: "She's Got A Way" He sang this pretty well but I agree that he didn't really connect with the song. I think this was just out of his comfort zone.

SKYLAR,"Shameless" Well, the sassy country chick does not go over well with me. Thought it was pitchy & all over the place. Bottom3

ELISE; "Vienna" I didn't really know this song. Dispite the standing O from the judges, I still think this girl is going home soon.

PHILLIP;" Movin' Out" I LOVED this! Phillip's voice is so distinct & has a wonderful tone to it. You immediately know it's him. To me he was the best tonight.

HOLLIE: "Honesty" This was pitchy & all over the place. Her worst performance yet. On the plus side, she looked really good. Bottom3

HEEJUN: "This is My Life" OK, Heejun really was the only one that showed some real chrisma on that stage tonight. The vocal wasn't bad. Liked it!

JESSICA; "Everybody Has a Dream" This was a good vocal, but as a singer, there is nothing special about her. She will go pretty far in this competition, but I do not think she has any star power.

COLTON: "Piano Man" Normally I love Colton, but he didn't really do it for me on this song. Still LoVE him though.

I think there is a serious lack of personality & charisma in this years group of contestants. It's disappointing. Seems like another lack luster season to me.

Another note, I am not really digging the advice of Tommy Hilfiger. He gave a few good tips, but frankly, I think I could have given them better styling tips. I'm glad some of the contestants ignored them!

Bottom 3: HOLLIE, SKYLAR, DEANDRE
As for me, I don't care which one of them goes home!

Brooke
03-22-2012, 10:35 AM
Tk, I have to agree with you about lack of personality and charisma this year. I don't see much. Heejun is above everyone on that point for me. Everyone else seems nervous and scared or something.

Deandre ("Only the Good Die Young") - I like the guy, but haven't seen any song I thought he did well on and he seems, yeah, awkward.

Erika ("New York State of Mind") - I don't like the new look either. What in the world? I'm afraid she's going to regret cutting her hair. I think she's got a great voice, but wasn't impressed.

Joshua ("She's Got a Way") - I thought he was good, but.....:shrug:

Skylar ("Shameless")-I like her and thought she did pretty well. I remember Garth Brooks version of the song, but not Brad Paisley's.

Elise ("Vienna") - didn't know this song, but thought she sounded good. I really love her voice, but wasn't as impressed as the judges. I wonder what happened to the bell bottom jeans she was looking for? I was shocked when she came out in a long dress. She looked good, but I don't think that's her style.

Phillip ("Movin' Out") - I like his quirkiness and liked his song and that his look was his look and not Tommy's. I didn't get some of TH's suggestions either.

Hollie ("Honesty") - I like her, but didn't think she delivered the song that well.

Heejun ("My Life") - I really liked this and thought the judges were too hard on him. My favorite performance of the night.

Jessica ("Everybody Has a Dream") - another ho hum from me here although I liked her dress too.

Colton ("Piano Man") - I thought he was great on this one and another favorite of the night for me.

Yep, not a great night. Nothing exciting for me at all.

Going home: Deandre. I like his hair though!

sodascouts
03-22-2012, 10:50 AM
Maybe the lack of charisma overall is why the judges are over praising some people. For instance,when they called one performance the best one ever in all the years of the show, they were hoping to build interest.

lizzyplays
03-22-2012, 11:06 AM
There is a lack of a lot of things this year! I don't even think that any of my favorite musicians showing up as mentors could interest me in this years shows. :-(

Ok, so I lied about that part.. if Slash showed up again, I would be glued to the tv, but it would have to be someone like him, that I totally worship. I just can not get into this season and I've been an avid AI fan since the first season.

Topkat
03-22-2012, 11:20 AM
I agree with you, Lizzy that there is a lack of a lot of things this season & mostly it's a lack of TALENT.....YIKES, there are a lot of sour notes this season, which is not usually the case at this stage of the competition.:thumbsdown:

As for Slash, well the only reason he showed up at Idol was to check out Adam Lambert!! Somehow he was talked into being a mentor, but he said he was there because he wanted to meet Adam! He said this in an interview. Don't expect him to show up this season, not gonna happen!

I am also losing interest in the show this year.

sodascouts
03-22-2012, 11:24 AM
As for Slash, well the only reason he showed up at Idol was to check out Adam Lambert!! Somehow he was talked into being a mentor, but he said he was there because he wanted to meet Adam!.

What's up with that? Slash has more talent in his little finger than Lambert has in his whole body!

Topkat
03-22-2012, 11:41 AM
What's up with that? Slash has more talent in his little finger than Lambert has in his whole body!

Totally true, I saw it come out of his mouth! Slash is not a singer, & maybe he was checking out Lambert to possibly sing with him. He was totally there to check out Adam!

I don't agree that Slash has more talent than Lambert. Adam is not a guitar player, but he's got an amazing voice & stage persona. There's a reason Queen asks him to guest sing with them!!!

lizzyplays
03-22-2012, 11:49 AM

I like Adam, and agree that he has a magnificent voice and he has 'star' power too, BUT Slash is my iconic 'rock god'. He exudes that title without even trying. I like that he can be that person and still keeps himself current and show different sides of himself by appearing as a mentor on AI, or showing up to play a few riffs on Ellen, or making commercials with Betty White. I could on for days, but I won't. :)

Topkat
03-22-2012, 12:01 PM
Here is Slash talking about how he went on Idol to see Adam Lambert!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=rH4UI8oYhvY

lizzyplays
03-22-2012, 12:30 PM
Here is Slash talking about how he went on Idol to see Adam Lambert!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=rH4UI8oYhvY

I haven't heard that interview before!! Thanks!!! *Sigh* Gosh, I just love him more now. :rockguitar:

sodascouts
03-22-2012, 04:31 PM
Thanks, Topkat. I believed it before you posted the interview... I was just astonished by it!

Topkat
03-22-2012, 05:49 PM
Thanks, Topkat. I believed it before you posted the interview... I was just astonished by it!

I wouldn't make a statement like that unless I was 100% positive that I heard it from Slash himself, but I wanted you guys to hear it yourselves.
In fact Slash & his wife went to Adam's birthday party in LA, so they are clearly in touch. I would love them to work together, would be cool!

lizzyplays
03-22-2012, 06:18 PM
I would love them to work together, would be cool!

That would be A-MAZ-ING! Adam could change up his look to an edgier rock look (I remember that he rocked some leather before) and couple that with a kick ass Slash induced riff to go with his incredible voice! And it would reach different audiences and bring them together! :rockguitar::singer:

Personally, I love when musicians collaborate and do things together outside of their own box. Not everyone does, but to me music is about broadening our horizons and exploring new things. What a boring world it would be if we all liked the same thing. One of my most favorite collaborations ever was Nelly (the rapper) and Tim McGraw doing "Just a Dream". I'm not a fan of country at all, but Tim McGraw is hot and I'm not ashamed to admit that I like to shake my booty once in awhile and Nelly provided some good booty shaking songs back in the day. The two of them together was great! I think we can credit Run-DMC and Aerosmith for starting that off in a big way. Sorry, I went WAY off topic!!

Adam, Slash, Adam, Slash!!

Topkat
03-22-2012, 07:53 PM
OK, now back to the Season 11 crop of singers who pale in comparison to Lambert & Slash, but we need to get back on track!!

Who's leaving tonight?

I think Deandre & Erika are possibly in danger, but I would love for my personal least favorite, SKYLAR to get the boot!!!

Topkat
03-22-2012, 09:11 PM
Well. looks like Erika & her new Adam Lambert hairdo will be leaving. Not really that shocked. I knew they wouldn't use the save tonight. It's too early!

Shocked to see Joe Perry on the Idol stage, singing with the kids!! I didn't realize it was Steven's birthday! How did I miss that

Commenting on the 2 guest appearances tonight. That chick Lana Del Ray has been on Sat. Night Live & Jay Leno & other shows with that song, & I have no clue how that is a hit!!! Can somebody explain that to me?

Now, HALEY Reinhart....WOW She looked like a STAR! Stunning dress, hair, makeup & her song & vocal were great...Just my opinion. I loved her last season & wanted her to win, & tonight confirms that to me! Loved her!:)

Brooke
03-23-2012, 10:29 AM
I was kind of sad to see Erika go after she did what Tommy wanted and changed up her look so much. It's gotta make her wonder.

Loved seeing Joe Perry there! It seemed like Steven was really touched and glad to see him. After that 60 Minutes interview I was wondering how things were going to turn out for them. Steven's birthday is March 26th, btw.

sodascouts
03-23-2012, 11:26 PM
YES!!!!!!!!!!!

Stevie Nicks is Next Week's Mentor on American Idol (http://www.rickey.org/stevie-nicks-to-mentor-american-idol-11-top-9/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=stevie-nicks-to-mentor-american-idol-11-top-9)

Topkat
03-24-2012, 06:11 AM
I am looking forward to seeing Stevie as a mentor. The girls in particular this season are in some serious trouble & maybe Stevie is someone that can give them some good advice. I don't think that the mentors so far have given such great help. Stevie knows how to deliver a great performance, so maybe she can inspire some of these girls to bring more to the stage because they are failing miserably. Should be interesting...at least giving us a reason to tune in next week, because I'm really BORED this season...

Brooke
03-24-2012, 09:33 AM
Wonderful! :yay:

Topkat
03-26-2012, 06:37 PM
While we're all patiently waiting to see Stevie Nicks on American Idol, let's talk about RYAN SEACREST....What do you think of him? I'm curious...

Here's my take on him. To me...He's the ulitmate MetroSexual. I imagine that he is extrodinarily NEAT, & that his underwear drawer is probably all neatly folded & arranged by color. I imagine that he is on a schedule, & he sticks to it. After all, he still does a radio show, produces several tv shows & still does Idol.

I also hear that he is a really nice guy & is EXTREMELY generous. I hear he leaves the waitress a $500. tip...even for an inexpensive meal. :thumbsup: Now that's a really nice guy! I know that he's rich, & can well afford it, but many rich people don't do things like that!

lizzyplays
03-26-2012, 07:32 PM
You pretty much think the same as I do, TK! I believe that he's a genuinely sincere and nice guy and does a lot of nice things that other rich people don't. I've seen his interaction with his mom, which is always a good sign of how a guy truly is. But yeah, he is definitely the poster boy for Metrosexual. I'd date him.... :-)

sodascouts
03-27-2012, 03:07 AM
I agree with both of you. Some people are annoyed by him, but to me, he comes off as a nice guy who deserves his success.

Topkat
03-28-2012, 07:53 PM
Here's the set list for tonight's show! ALl I can say is OY VEY. I think there are going to be some train wrecks tonight

Zepplin, Miranda Lambert, Beyonce, & Carrie Underwood...songs tonight

There will also be trios tonight,: I sure hope that Stevie can do something with these kids, but looking at that song list....I'm not expecting too much.
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151467891665601&set=a.10150593297330601.677938.123984435600&type=1&theater

sodascouts
03-28-2012, 08:17 PM
I think that first video they showed where they lost the sound was from this (about 5:10 or so):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwdNEECz6mM

sodascouts
03-28-2012, 10:19 PM
What a dramatic jump in quality from last week. I credit Stevie, lol. Truly, though, she did seem to be able to get them to emote more, which really is what takes it to the next level.

Colton ("Everything") - Perfect pitch? No, but I loved the emotion. This is by far my favorite performance of his that we've seen.

Skylar ("Gunpower and Lead") - Even if you don't really like this genre, you have to appreciate how she gets into it! She sounds just as good as Miranda Lambert on it, IMHO. Plus, she was rockin’ some Stevie platform shoes!

Fleetwood Mac Medley: OK, they weren’t perfect, but they tried and I appreciated it. Colton did a good job with "Landslide" and they harmonized well. I want Elise to perform "Edge of 17" for real and not in lame medley form. She could rock it! Poor Phillip has a lower voice than Lindsey B. so I cringed a bit when he missed high notes during "Don't Stop", but again, I appreciated the spirit.

Heejun ("A Song for You"): Pleasantly surprised. He really can sing after all! Yes, it wasn’t perfect, but it’s definitely better than his previous ballads, and again – I love visible emotion. Standing ovation, though? Really?
Side note: They keep acting like it’s wrong for Heejun to be funny. It’s entertaining to me. Judges - don’t suck the fun out of Heejun, please!

Hollie ("Jesus Take the Wheel") - Hollie made Stevie cry! Once again, the investment of emotion pays off. I don’t mind the loss of the vocal acrobatics. I want to feel it – and I did. Screw Randy and Steven. I’m with Jennifer! I like Hollie more all the time.

DeAndre ("Sometimes I Cry") – ugh, the high end is coming out again. I’m not saying it’s bad, it just doesn’t appeal to me. Again, a standing ovation for that? WHY? Because he a high note? Please!

Jessica ("Sweet Dreams") – Wow, she looked great, and much older than 15! However, despite her fabulous look, I still find her singing boring. She hits all those notes, but the emotion everyone else was showing never made it to Jessica’s eyes. In fact, I find I am liking her less and less each week.

Phillip ("Still Rainin'") – I like Phillip, but - on the level of Lindsey Buckingham? Worthy of joining Fleetwood Mac? Ummm, no. He already demonstrated that when he sang "Don't Stop" in the medley. That said, I enjoyed his performance a lot – I love that growl! I love watching him get into it! Here’s my epic compliment: the brief clip we heard of him singing with Stevie sounded hot.

Joshua ("Without You") – Note to Joshua: “Without You” is not a Mariah Carey song… but anyway. I love this song so much, but I was nervous for him – he’s a great singer but this song is killer. I think he did a good job, but I thought he was a bit over the top when he was going for the money notes. Perhaps he figured he wasn’t really working it without vocal runs and vibrato, but it actually in my opinion takes away some of the song’s intensity to do that. I was really surprised he started crying in the end! I have to say, though, like Erika who left last week, he’s another one that started out highly in my book but who I’ve lost a little of my fervor for lately. He’s definitely no longer my favorite. We’ll see if it comes back!

Elise ("Whole Lotta Love") – Oh my gosh, she blew me away. Love her! Her outfit rocked, too! I’m voting for this one! Just texted "vote" to 5709! YOU GO, ELISE! Plus, her harmonizing with Stevie on Dreams was too cool.

BTW, when they were going on and on about all the standing ovations, I felt sorry for the 4 people who didn't get one!

PS. Who is in charge of the staging and lighting? I keep getting distracted by spotlights, falling glitter, rolling puffs of smoke, and flashing colors. This is American Idol, not Cirque du Soleil.

Fave: Elise

Least fave: DeAndre. I don’t care if he got a standing ovation. I was unimpressed.

Topkat
03-28-2012, 10:38 PM
Well the kids surprised me tonight with a few really great performances! Yeah Stevie! You pulled the best out of these kids!
Here's my rundown;

COLTON: "Everything" by Lifehouse Loved this performance, Colton has an amazing voice!! There is something very different about him.

SKYLER: "Gunpowder & Lead" Miranda Lambert ; Well, if they are looking for a 3rd rate Miranda Lambert, she's your girl ...Bottom3

HEEJUN; "A Song For You" Danny Hathaway, Much better performance, For once he sounded pretty good. Shocking Standing O from all the judges!!! Much improved

HOLLIE: "Jesus Take the Wheel" Carrie Underwood. This was a pretty good vocal, but she didn't make the song her own. No originality here. Bottom3

DEANDRE: "Sometimes I Cry" Eric Benet This is the first time I actually enjoyed Deandre...Standing O from the judges

JESSICA; "Sweet Dreams" Beyonce This was pretty good, but not Jessica's best perofrmance. Somehow her breathing seemed off.

PHILLIP: "Still Rainin' Johnny Lang, OMG This was AWESOME...Totally loved it, Phillip rocked it his voice really strong tonight & belting it out BEST TONIGHT

JOSHUA; "Without You" Very good vocally. Another standing O from the judges.

ELISE: "Whole Lotta Love" Led Zepplin Warning: Do Not sing a song that Adam Lambert sang on Idol, because you cannot come even close!! Sorry Elise you will be leaving tomorrow, despite the standing O from the judges!

Now, as for the Medelies tonight; I know a lot of people think they are Cheesy, but I love them & I have since day 1.

Colton, Elise, & Phillip; Beautiful job on those FM songs, Colton sounding so good doing Landslide, he should sing that with Stevie!!!

Deandre, Heejun & Joshua: MJ medely, I thought it was pretty good. This most suited Deandre; I could totally see him singing MJ

Hollie, Skylar & Jessica; singing Madonna. This was the worst of the 3 trios. Skylar, a fish out of water, the other 2 were passable, but just OK

Bottom 3, SKYLAR, ELISE, & HOLLIE
GOING HOME: ELSIE

sodascouts
03-28-2012, 11:38 PM
I didn't even remember Adam had done that song. It was three years ago!

Topkat
03-28-2012, 11:47 PM

Well I think a lot of people will remember it! Three years is not that long ago. Oh yeah, he sang it when Slash was the mentor for the show.

Topkat
03-29-2012, 12:09 AM
Here's Lambert working with Slash. I wouldn't be surprised if Elise watched this performance because she copied some of his moves

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&list=PL97B38DBB13B6856C&v=suV6viDG4i0

sodascouts
03-29-2012, 12:20 AM
Thanks for the link. I watched it and his Freddie Mercury version is completely different from Elise's rock chick version. It's like comparing apples and oranges. Everyone has different tastes - I enjoy the hard rockin' chicks version, you enjoy the glam version. Just personal preference.

On another note, look at all the love Stevie is receiving from the Idol contestants about her mentoring! Apparently she invested a lot of time and effort into helping them that we didn't really get to see. http://nickslive.blogspot.com/2012/03/top-9-on-idol-talk-stevie-nicks-she.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+FleetwoodMacNews+%28Fleetwood +Mac+News+and+Reviews%29&m=1

Maleah
03-29-2012, 12:21 AM
Colton ("Everything") - Have to agree with Soda, definitely not perfect pitch but man.....he made me cry! Just the pure emotion when he was singing and then at the end when he took a moment before standing up....very emotional.

Skylar ("Gunpower and Lead") - Not my favorite on the show but definitely one of the ones with the best stage presence. She's a lot of fun and is consistently very good, imo.

Heejun ("A Song for You"): I really loved Heejun's performance! There's just something about the tone of his voice that I absolutely love...especially with just that little hint of rasp. For some reason, I really connected with his performance as well. Can't even explain it, but I teared up over this one as well. lol I love Heejun's sense of humor and I actually felt bad for him that he felt like he was letting people down just because he was having fun. I agree that he DOES need to show that he really wants this and does take it seriously, but c'mon....let the kid have fun too!

Hollie ("Jesus Take the Wheel") - COMPLETELY disagree with Randy and Steven! I thought Hollie did AWESOME! Gosh....Stevie talked about losing her mom and then when she cried.....bawled right along with her.

DeAndre ("Sometimes I Cry") – Just not a DeAndre fan unfortunately. Not my style of voice.

Jessica ("Sweet Dreams") – Jessica is crazy talented, it's sick really. lol She's very consistent and this was another very good performance. I don't really "connect" with her like I do with some of the others, but she's definitely one of the best vocalists on this season.

Phillip ("Still Rainin'") – I love Phillip! He's just so natural and seems so down to earth and humble. I love that. I do agree with Stevie, he's a cutie. :thumbsup: What a huge compliment to him from her! I get captivated watching Phillip!

Joshua ("Without You") – I haven't really gotten into a song of his as much as I did "When A Man Loves A Woman," but I would still have to say he's my favorite. He's another one that I just FEEL it when he sings. I mean that guy can just stinkin' sing.

Elise ("Whole Lotta Love") – Whaaaa? Who gets to sing harmony with Stevie??? So lucky!!!! lol Gosh I love Stevie. Elise was SICK tonight!!! I LOVE her raspy voice. I always wished that I had a raspy voice like that. lol It's so hard for a girl to win this show anymore, especially an older girl like her. I hope she makes it to at least the top 3!

Fave: Oh gosh, that's tough! There were a lot of great performances tonight, imo. My fav's were Elise, Colton, Joshua, Phillip, and Heejun.

Least favorite: DeAndre - just not my style, can't get into it at all. I'm not a big falsetto fan. For me it has to be used sparingly and with him it's a huge part of his vocals. Plus there's just something about his vibrato that detracts from my enjoyment of his songs. It's not that he's not talented, he's very talented. Just not my type of vocalist at all.

Maleah
03-29-2012, 12:22 AM

Wow....I completely forgot that he sang it too. To be honst, I still don't remember it but I'll take your guys's word for it. lol

Maleah
03-29-2012, 12:25 AM
I would doubt that Elise was imitating Lambert's version that much, if at all. Remember, she said she had been performing it before her band before she was every on Idol. I would guess she did it pretty close to how she's always done it. I didn't see a lot of similarity between the two either, but who knows.

sodascouts
03-29-2012, 12:31 AM
Gosh....Stevie talked about losing her mom and then when she cried.....bawled right along with her.

I cried too, and I haven't lost my mother. I can only imagine what you were feeling!

Phillip ("Still Rainin'") – I love Phillip! He's just so natural and seems so down to earth and humble. I love that. I do agree with Stevie, he's a cutie. :thumbsup: What a huge compliment to him from her!

I thought it was hilarious when later she said to Jimmy something along the lines of he was so cute and looked like Lindsey and Jimmy pouts, "Why didn't you say he looked like ME?" lol!!!

Elise ("Whole Lotta Love") – Whaaaa? Who gets to sing harmony with Stevie??? So lucky!!!! lol Gosh I love Stevie. Elise was SICK tonight!!! I LOVE her raspy voice. I always wished that I had a raspy voice like that. lol It's so hard for a girl to win this show anymore, especially an older girl like her. I hope she makes it to at least the top 3!

Amen!

Maleah
03-29-2012, 12:46 AM
I cried too, and I haven't lost my mother. I can only imagine what you were feeling!

Oh man, everything she said....so true. Obviously I can relate and that made me love Stevie even more. What really pushed me over the edge though, was watching the tears well up in her eyes.

I thought it was hilarious when later she said to Jimmy something along the lines of he was so cute and looked like Lindsey and Jimmy pouts, "Why didn't you say he looked like ME?" lol!!

I literally laughed out loud during their whole exchange! They were hilarious together. Man.....there's only two mentors that I've watched during Idol's time on television where I thought "those guys are SO lucky....I would kill to be there right now." The first time was when Elton John was the mentor.....that was during the Jennifer Hudson season. I remember she freaked out when she saw him and had a hard time singing. lol The second time was tonight with Stevie. I'm sure they know it, but man I hope these contestants reallly realize....I hope they GET IT.....to be mentored by people like that is a huge honor and blessing. I mean seriously HUGE! Not very many people get that opportunity. VERY few in fact. Wish I was one of them! Although I can tell you right now that I would be speechless and probably wouldn't be able to open my mouth to sing. lol

WalshFan88
03-29-2012, 06:10 AM
Elise's performance was my favorite of all the contestants.

And Stevie! :heart: - 'nuff said!

Hopefully she'll come back to Illinois soon on a solo tour. :partytime:

Topkat
03-29-2012, 09:19 AM
Thanks for the link. I watched it and his Freddie Mercury version is completely different from Elise's rock chick version. It's like comparing apples and oranges. Everyone has different tastes - I enjoy the hard rockin' chicks version, you enjoy the glam version. Just personal preference.

On another note, look at all the love Stevie is receiving from the Idol contestants about her mentoring! Apparently she invested a lot of time and effort into helping them that we didn't really get to see. http://nickslive.blogspot.com/2012/03/top-9-on-idol-talk-stevie-nicks-she.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+FleetwoodMacNews+%28Fleetwood +Mac+News+and+Reviews%29&m=1

Well, I didn' t think Adam was very glam that night or like Freddy Mercury. And Else did do some of the exact same stage moves as Adam did. The dragging the mike across the stage, the foot stomp at the guitar player at the exact same parts of the song that Adam did it. I noticed it immediately; before I even rewatched Adams performance. Elise may pass elimination tonight, but she's not a rock singer. She's a "wanna be" rock singer. She would have been better off doing that Fleetwood Mac song that she sang with Stevie at the rehearsal. Just my opinion. Many people liked Elise's performance, but remember Rock girls never do well on Idol, and she's not as strong as Allison Iraheta who came in 3rd place.

Brooke
03-29-2012, 10:14 AM
Wow, I love Stevie. She was wonderful and really gave it her all helping them last night. Those vintage videos were great! Jimmy was funny! Loved all of Stevie's input and when she talked about her mother dying, I nearly cried with her.

My favorite performances of the night were Colton and Elise.

Colton was just so emotional and in to his song. What a sweet guy. I was teary eyed too.

I thought Elise rocked Whole Lotta Love. I don't care that Adam L sang the song before. I thought she was fabulous!

I enjoyed Phillip too. He is a cutie and I respect that he stays true to himself and his kind of music and he's definitely talented.

I really like Skylar's energy and thought she was great on the Miranda Lambert song.

I think Hollie and Jessica have great voices, but their stage presence and showmanship is greatly lacking. They are actually kinda boring. Imo.

Heejun was great tonight and changed my mind about him and I hope he continues.

Joshua. Most of the song was great, but he seemed to screech some towards the end and it hurt my ears. I think he tries too hard and loses his way. KWIM?

DeAndre. I've never liked falsetto much and he completely turned me off. I hope he goes. I'm sure he's very talented, just not my cup of tea.

My faves: Elise and Colton.

lizzyplays
03-29-2012, 10:45 AM
Well I think a lot of people will remember it! Three years is not that long ago. Oh yeah, he sang it when Slash was the mentor for the show.

I remember! :-)

Topkat
03-29-2012, 10:52 AM
Here' is Phillip's studio recorded version of his song last night, Still Rainin'

Oh & Stevie said that he would have been asked to join Fleetwood Mac, so I guess she liked him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=xzsEQjn6wf0

sodascouts
03-29-2012, 09:16 PM
Stevie more than liked Phillip! When she said she thought he was gorgeous like Lindsey.... Well, we all know how she feels about seventies Lindsey. She looked like she was ready to give him her phone number!

At any rate, regarding tonight's results, I expected Heejun to go and Hollie has a better voice, but I will miss his personality.

Topkat
03-29-2012, 09:27 PM
Well Heejun going was no shock, but I have to admit I was a little sad to see him go. He lives not far from where I live, so it's back to Queens for him. He sang rather well tonight, actually better than he did last night. I was kind of hoping it would be Skylar leaving, so I will have to endure her another week or so.

I was hoping that Stevie would be performing tonight...but instead we got that horrible lip sync mess form Nicki Minaj. She wasn't even opening her mouth & had the mike waving around as her record was playing!!! What a joke
Can someone tell me how she got to be a star???

sodascouts
03-29-2012, 09:44 PM
Oh I know! That was horrific!

lizzyplays
03-29-2012, 10:36 PM
Can someone tell me how she got to be a star???

Because some parents obviously took the brown acid at Woodstock.

Brooke
03-30-2012, 10:20 AM
She is terrible. I was like Ryan thinking their might be some kind of accident the way she jumped around. :lol: I can't remember exactly how he said it.

I was hoping Stevie would perform too.

Topkat
03-30-2012, 09:40 PM
Next weeks mentor will be Gwen Stefani and Tony Kanal of No Doubt,
Gwen has been there before, but I don't think Tony has been, Should be interesting. I think it's going to be 80's Night! Oh boy, can't wait for this one!:nahnah:

http://www.mjsbigblog.com/american-idol-11-no-doubts-gwen-stefani-tony-kanal-will-mentor-top-8.htm

lizzyplays
03-30-2012, 10:20 PM
I love Gwen and No Doubt too! Someone remind me to watch, please! I keep forgetting until I read the posts after the shows. lol

Topkat
03-31-2012, 09:34 AM
Last night I saw Erika on Jay Leno. He usually has the booted off Idol sing with his house band on Fri night. Erika was really good!
Next week he will probably have Heejun on...That I wanna see!:fear:

sodascouts
04-04-2012, 10:20 PM
Eighties Night was a major disappointment. Too bad, because I LOVE 80s music!

DeAndre (“I Like It”) – there were nice moments, especially at the end, but lots of weak moments, too – pretty much every time he pulled out the falsetto. The whole audience participation thing was a mistake, IMHO.

Elise (“I Want to Know What Love Is”) – not a good start. It got better by the end…. But still not her best performance. I don’t care. I love her voice! Voting for her tonight. Texting "vote" to 5702!

Skylar and Colton ("Islands in the Stream") - whose bright idea was it to put Colton on this??? He looked and sounded so uncomfortable on his solo parts, although the harmony was good. This was right up Skylar’s alley, of course, and she sounded great. BTW, how can Ryan say there was chemistry when the two couldn’t even meet eyes over lines like “From one lover to another?” lol! It was also funny how vehemently Skylar made sure everyone knew she was NOT DATING COLTON. lol

Phillip (“That’s All”) – Love this song but I don’t think he quite had a handle on it. Yeah, the moment without the backing was sexy… but it would have been sexier if he hadn’t stumbled over the lyrics! Again, not the best performance, but I still want him to stay. Still, why were the judges telling him how amazing he was? I love Phillip, but he did poorly, and he knew it. He actually looked embarrassed…. Yet the judges gush. Too lame. BTW, those super-tight close-ups weren’t doing him any favors. He’s usually very attractive, but today he had watery, red eyes and was sweating. Weed allergy, perhaps?

DeAndre and Hollie (“I’m So Excited”) – I think they did great!

Joshua (“If You Don’t Know Me By Now”) – I don’t like it when they have a bunch of people around – keep the focus on the contestant please. Joshua is such a great singer, but I didn’t like the way the song was arranged. There were too many “flourishes” – it was over the top for me. Of course the judges stand. :: sigh :: And ugh, J-Lo, don’t quote the Bible when discussing your “goosies” please! BTW, week after week Joshua says he doesn’t know any of the songs being sung. OK, I get you’re 19, but come on! The 15-year-olds know these songs!

Jessica (“How Will I Know”) – Oh, Jessica is singing Whitney Houston? Astonishing! lol The “BB Chez” alter ego schtick is too lame for words. But she’s young, so I’ll overlook it. ;) Overall she was hitting 99% the notes and she looked her age again – yay! She’s trying hard and she’s very talented. However, when she was trying to pull off the cute moves… no, not buying it. It looked awkward. She just never seems to be feeling it – probably because she’s too young. I predict she’ll get Pia’d in about three weeks. We’ll see though!

P2 and Elise (“Stop Draggin’ My Heart Around”) – Wow, Phillip’s vocal was rough, and he looked like he was trying to pass one of those kidney stones the whole time. Phillip, don’t make me wanna get off the P2 train! Elise slammed it, as I knew she would. She should sing Stevie songs all the time. J-Lo’s comments made NO sense, BTW. “I wanted to be that person that’s in the duet where you’re like talking to each other and I could get in between and be there and I wanted that!” oooookkkkaaay.

Hollie (“Flashdance”) – oh, her little flapper dress is so cute! You go, Hollie! I love her. The judges are saying that her pitch was all over the place, but fawned over Phillip "never quite hit the high notes" Phillips? Huh? I never get why are they so hard on her! Pity votes coming from me, Hollie. Texting "vote" to 5706.

Joshua and Jessica (“I Knew You Were Waiting”) – great harmonizing, although Joshua made a couple surprising mistakes in the beginning and Jessica looked a bit awkward. They seemed to be trying to out-sing each other at the ending, lol. Another standing ovation. SIGH. Randy: “Two of the greatest performers ever on the show! One of the greatest performances that I’ve seen on this show!” Steven: “It’s so great it defies judging!” Oh my gosh, could they overpraise more??? They were good, but not THAT good.

Colton (“Time After Time”) – I really enjoyed this. Is Colton winning me over? I think so! Great arrangement, too. The only thing I think he could have done to improve it was mix up the melody at the end a bit because it got a little repetitive. J-Lo ‘s comments still seemed kind of “out there”… did she get into Paula’s pills?

Skylar ("Wind Beneath My Wings") – this was so different for her. She’s showing she can do more than the sassy country stuff. The best she’s ever looked, too. Definitely a different take than Bette, but I liked it a lot.

I thought it was really tacky that, when asked for a favorite at the end, Randy named everyone but Elise and Hollie. Poor Hollie was fighting not to cry.

Sadly, I think the ones I'm voting for (Elise and Hollie) are going to be in the bottom three, with Hollie probably going home. If it were up to me, it would be DeAndre on the way out.

So, although it's not likely.... here's hoping DeAndre goes home!

Topkat
04-04-2012, 11:23 PM
Ok, Well, here's my take on the evening:

DEANDRE, (I Like It) I thought he did a pretty good job with this song. I think it was a good choice for him. Aside from the excessive hair flipping it was pretty good. He's improving.

ELISE: (I Wanna Know What Love Is) Oh, Steven Tyler was so right on this one. It was the wrong song for her & it was off key. Ouch.. Back to the Bottom 3

SKYLAR/COLTON Duet (Islands In the Stream) This duet was done by Carrie Underwood & Bo Bice in season 4, & nobody could do it better than those two, but dispite the awkward pair up, it was pretty good, but there was NO chemistry between them. ZERO

PHILLIP; (That's All) Well, this wasn't Phillip's best performance, but I still like him

DEANDRE/ HOLLIE Duet; ( I'm So Excited) Somehow this worked. They looked adorable together & sounded really good.

JOSHUA: (If You Don't Know Me By Now) I thought he had a good vocal but the arrangement was way too much. Judges give a Standing O

JESSICA: (How Will I Know) Jessica thinks she can sing the "big" ones, but this was just nowhere near Whitney Houston, sorry!

PHILLIP/ ELISE Duet; (Stop Draggin' My Heart Around) I thought this was fantastic. They really did a nice job with this song, & I was scared to hear how this would turn out, but pleasantly surprised.

HOLLIE: (What a Feeling) This was off key & she was not giving the song the high energy it needed. Bottom3

JESSICA/ JOSHUA Duet;( I Knew You Were Waiting For Me) They sang well together, but the gushing from the judges was too much.

COLTON: (Time After Time) Colton was brillant tonight. He's a real artist. Loved this arrangement of the song & vocals were strong.

SKYLAR: (Wind Beneath My Wings) This song is very special to me, & it was pretty good for Skylar, but it still sounded nasal & twangy to me.

One comment; What is going on with the weird staging? There were clocks ticking on the walls for Elise, Cassetes flashing during Jessica's song. The whole stage set up is just not working for me!!

BEST TONIGHT: COLTON
BOTTOM 3: ELISE, HOLLIE, DEANDREor SKYLAR
GOING HOME: HOLLIE

Maleah
04-04-2012, 11:57 PM
DeAndre (“I Like It”) – I like DeAndre's voice so much more when he's in his natural voice with a little rasp, but he just does his falsetto WAY too much for me. And don't get me started on the hair flipping. lol Probably my favorite performance of his vocally though.

Elise (“I Want to Know What Love Is”) – Not necessarily her best but I still liked it. Elise has such an amazing voice that it overcomes her rough moments, imo. Not my favorite from her, but still thought it was good.

Skylar & Colton ("Islands in the Stream") - I must be the odd one because I thought they did GREAT together and didn't think Colton seemed uncomfortable at all. Thought they sounded really good together. Also thought it was cute with the whole dating thing comments.

Phillip (“That’s All”) – One of my favorite Genesis songs, he struggled a bit with it though. Phillip is still one of my favorites and I'll still vote for him! I think what they rave over so much for Phillip is the fact that no matter what song he does, it's not like "oh Phillip is covering so and so," it sounds like his own song. He's such a natural that I think that's what they love so much. To me Phillip always looks uncomfortable with any of the comments they make. lol Definitely agree that it was a great suggestion to stop playing the guitar at the one part.

DeAndre & Hollie (“I’m So Excited”) – I thought they did great together too!

Joshua (“If You Don’t Know Me By Now”) – I think a lot of people are getting irritated with Joshua and liking him less solely for the reason that the judges love him so much. I hate to see that because the kid is ridiculously talented and imo the leader of the pack this season. Does he go over the top sometimes? Yeah, but I love every minute of it! LOVED his performance this week. Still second favorite to when he did "When A Man Loves A Woman" but I thought it was amazing. As far as the not knowing the songs thing......I can actually believe that! It sounds crazy to ME because I LOVE these older songs, but it stuns me with some of my coworkers that they don't know some of these songs! I mean, my assistant manager didn't know that Elton John song Rocket Man for pete's sake! LOL

Jessica (“How Will I Know”) – I disagree that Jessica only "thinks" she can sing the big ones. IMO, Jessica CAN DEFINITELY sing the big ones. Is she close to Whitney Houston? Heck no, but no one is! I don't think Beyonce, Rihanna, Katy Perry, P!nk, Jessie J, or any of the other popular female vocalists out there right now can remotely compare to her either! Jessica has a huge voice and it's insane for her age. Her biggest problem, imo, is that she (like Hollie) has a hard time CONNECTING with the songs. Maybe it IS an age thing, I dont know but I don't feel like either one of them can pack that emotional punch.

Phillip & Elise (“Stop Draggin’ My Heart Around”) – I feel like I'm completely disagreeing with you guys on every note. haha I felt like they BOTH rocked this song! Phillip always looks extremely intense when he's singing, from the face turning red to the vein popping out in his forehead. lol And oddly enough I also understood what JLo was trying to say. I took it as, say it was Don & Stevie singing it and they look intense and you're wishing you were Stevie and Don was singing it to you. Does that make sense? haha Maybe I'm just oddly on their page tonight. lol!

Hollie (“Flashdance”) – They're so hard on Hollie all the time, I don't understand it! They rave over Jessica, but she doesn't "connect" any more than Hollie. They rave over pitch but all of the contestants have had pitch problems at some point. Hollie has a huge voice and it seems like she can never do right in their eyes. I didn't hear all the pitch issues that Steven was talking about. There were a couple but not continuous like he made it sound! Votes from me too!

Joshua & Jessica (“I Knew You Were Waiting”) – Overpraise???? haha Disagree AGAIN! lol They were AWESOME!!! I would have raved every bit as much as the judges did, to be honest. I thought it was fantastic.

Colton (“Time After Time”) – I always like Colton but I'm not on everyone's team for this one. lol I didn't hear the judges comments, but I'd be surprised if there was any mention of a couple of pitchy moments I thought I heard. lol Regardless, Colton is always awesome and I hope to see him in the competition for a long time! I also like that he admitted who did the arrangement of the song because a lot of times on shows like these, a contestant will "take credit" for another artist's arrangement of the song. Rarely intentionally I'm sure, but still happens a lot.

Skylar ("Wind Beneath My Wings") – I started out this season not caring for Skylar quite as much as some of the other contestants but she has really grown on me! I love her spunkiness and her stage presence. Surprised me on this song, I thought she did great!

Favorite: Honestly my favorite part of the performances this week were the duets. Favorite solo performance though would probably be Joshua

Going Home: I wish it was DeAndre but I have a feeling it will be Hollie :(

Brooke
04-05-2012, 10:27 AM
Can't say anymore than has been said really. I really can't say who I liked best last night at all. No one really stood out for me.

I really love Elise's voice, but didn't think she shined on the song. She looked great. The dress was very flattering for her.

I really feel sorry for Hollie too. Good grief, I think her voice is every bit as good as Jessica's and Jessica doesn't "feel it" any more either. If I voted, I would have voted for her, Hollie, too.

Topkat
04-05-2012, 11:23 AM
I think the judges are pushing for a final between Jessica & Joshua. They seem to get all the glory every week. I'm not sure that is the final that I want to see. Personally I would like a Colton and Phillip final & let the best man win!

Elsie, DeAndre & Hollie at this point really don't stand a chance for the finals. I think any one of them could go home tonight!
Skylar is a wildcard. I can't stand her, but I think she has a fanbase. The country music people seem to vote big time on this show.

sodascouts
04-06-2012, 12:35 PM
Well I definitely was pleasantly surprised when DeAndre got sent home last night!

Brooke
04-06-2012, 01:26 PM
Me too.

Troubadour
04-08-2012, 12:51 PM
I was sad to see DeAndre go, but I wasn't surprised. He hasn't been hitting the spot with the public for a few weeks now. I think he needs a little more experience and maybe some training to calm him down a bit, and he will be incredible. He has such a unique, soulful voice... and he's only seventeen!

I feel quite sorry for Hollie. I'm sure she feels like saying "What else can I do?" but I do understand where the judges are coming from... Her voice is fantastic, but there's just not that spark there. She doesn't have the sassiness of Skylar or the guts of Elise. It's obvious she loves the big power ballad singers, and that she wants to be a Celine Dion type of artist, which is fine but I'm not sure it works on American Idol. There needs to be something more there; some personality and something that sets her apart from everyone else. I don't think she will go much further on this show, but I think she could have a great career ahead of her. She is so young, and she has an incredibly powerful voice.

I can't really pick a favourite at the moment, but I do always look forward to hearing Joshua sing. He is just so soulful and passionate. Elise is a bit hit and miss - when she gets the right song, she is fantastic (eg: Whole Lotta Love) but I don't think she will win. Colton is very current and I think he will last until the end. Not sure about Phillip... I love him, but I have a feeling he might not make it all the way to the final. I think Jessica could do it, but she is still so young. Skylar is awesome and in with a chance, though I wouldn't pick her as a winner just yet. The next few weeks should be quite interesting!

sodascouts
04-08-2012, 03:50 PM
A couple of years ago I wouldn't have thought Skylar would go very far, but since the guy who won last year was about as country as you can get, I wonder if she can't make it all the way!

Topkat
04-12-2012, 07:37 AM
Well last night the Top 7 sang songs from this decade, & I have to admit that I was not familar with many of them, so I am not going to comment on each performance.

I will only say that SKYLAR needs to GO! She is so nasal & she screams. I had to turn the sound down during her performance. She sang a Kellie Pickler song, that I never heard, but I totally hated the whole thing.

I must say that for the first time, I really loved JOSHUA. He really delivered a strong performance & showed a lot more personality. That Bruno Mars song was perfect for him....LOVED IT.

ELISE/PHILLIP duet: Somebody I Used to Know; These two duet pretty well together. I thought Phillip was great on this, dispite all the praise that Elise got for her part here. Overall, pretty nice!

COLTON/SKYLAR duet; Whoever put these two together, needs their head examined. They couldn't be further apart, musically or any other way. I hate this pairing. Colton looked really uncomfortable with the whole thing & to even insinuate a romance between these two is crazy. There is no chemistry there at all.

JESSICA, PHILLIP, COLTON did a pretty good job on their solos, but I didn't know these songs so it was hard for me to judge them. As for HOLLIE; once again the judges gave her a hard time. She looked adorable last night, but the vocal was a little off. As for ELISE, well I fell asleep right before her performance, so I cannot comment on it.

I have really lost interest in these contestants. I am finding the show really boring this season. I have moved on to THE VOICE, where I think they have a lot better & more interesting singers!

I think that HOLLIE will be the one to be eliminated tonight!

sodascouts
04-12-2012, 10:05 AM
I was distracted last night and didn't watch as closely as usual. However, I plan to watch online and comment.

Brooke
04-12-2012, 10:13 AM
I got home late last night and didn't get started watching until Hollie's performance, but drv'd it, so I got to see it all. I didn't know most of the songs they sang though.

I thought Hollie looked gorgeous and I really thought she did a great job on her song. Shows you what I know, the judges dissed her. Again. I felt sorry for her. Again. Made me want to vote for her. But I don't usually vote.

I also loved Colton's performance. He is just so cute and I liked it that he stayed at the piano the whole time. And I thought he did a fantastic job on his song. The judges weren't as impressed.

I knew Kellie Pickler's song that Skylar did and thought she did a fine job, although not as good as Kellie and I wasn't as impressed as the judges were. It's a really gorgeous song.

I thought Phillip did a fine job again, but he didn't get me as much as some of them.

Loved Elise's performance again. Love her voice.

I thought Joshua's was good, but I'm still not as impressed with him as the judges are. He still sounds screechie sometimes to me.

And I thought Jessica was good, but she doesn't do it for me either.

Favorites tonight were obviously Colton and Hollie.

I honestly don't really want any of them to go home this time. Maybe it will be "save" week.

sodascouts
04-12-2012, 06:08 PM
OK, some quick comments.

Skylar ("Didn't Know How Much I Loved You") - I've never heard this song before, but I thought she did a good job with it. She really belted it out with power. Yes, she has a twang, but that's a part of the country deal. What I like is how hard she sells it.

Colton ("Love the Way You Lie") - I've heard the original version of this and let's just say Colton's is a VAST improvement. I've gone from being annoyed by him to being impressed by him.

Elise and Phillip ("Somebody That I Used to Know") - This song is popular with a lot of my friends but I've always found it kind of boring. Still, they did a good job with it. I thought it was lame how the judges kept acting like Elise forced Phillip to do the song to make her look good. It's not as if Phillip sucked. The song worked well for both of them.

Jessica ("Stuttering") - I've noticed something. When I'm not watching Jessica, when I'm just listening to her, I appreciate her more. She has quite a voice. It's only when I watch her and see how disconnected she is that I start to lose interest. I don't care how much they gush over her. She is officially my least favorite contestant now.

Joshua ("Runaway Baby") - Love it! This is the Joshua that caught my eye back in the auditions. He worked it!

Colton and Skylar ("Don't You Wanna Stay") - OK, who in the world thinks these two people have any kind of chemistry?? Come on! It's painful to watch them look into each others' eyes and force out romantic lines. The best parts were when they were nowhere near each other and just doing their thing.

Hollie ("Perfect") - this girl cannot win. She did great, but all the judges begrudgingly state is "At least you weren't as bad as last week." That's just unfair. The judges obviously want her to go home badly. Maybe they think she's stealing some of Jessica's thunder. Am I saying she's the best one on the show? No. I don't even think she should win. However, I also don't think she gets judged fairly. I just vote for her out of pity.

Phillip ("Give a Little More") - now this is one who definitely did improve a lot from last week. Last week, he was horrible, but this week he was back to his enjoyable self. I really like this guy and I hope he makes it to the end.

Hollie, Joshua, and Jessica ("What Doesn't Kill You Makes You Stronger") - good job! It's amazing how much chemistry Joshua and Hollie have - platonic chemistry, but it's there. I actually felt kind of sorry for Jessica, the obvious third wheel... until she started to sing over her songmates with her vocal runs. Ugh. Go away.

Elise ("You and I") - Man, I love her voice. She's had off weeks here and there, but overall, this is my girl. She's by far my favorite. Sadly, I don't see her making it much further, though. Rock chicks don't win American Idol. Still, I voted for her not once, not twice, but ten times!

My fave: Elise, of course!

Who's Going Home: Hollie, I'm afraid. There's only so many times a girl can get beat down by the judges before the majority of the audience buys it. No way will they pull out the save for her.

sodascouts
04-12-2012, 09:01 PM
I knew Jessica would get Pia'd at some point! She has no personality. Of course the judges save her, but I thought JLo and the judges running onstage before she finished was lame, as was Randy screaming that we need to vote for her because she is "the best!!!!!!!!" How did that make the other contestants feel, I wonder?

Screw you, Randy. She bores me and I'm obviously not the only one. I don't care how much you yell - I'm not voting for her. However, I imagine this will lead to her getting plenty of votes next week.

Prettymaid
04-12-2012, 09:05 PM
I'm not watching this season, but what do you mean by Pia'd? Pia didn't receive the save last year, right?

sodascouts
04-12-2012, 09:22 PM
Getting "Pia'd" is not about the save. It's about receiving the fewest votes even when the judges gush over you continually and you have a great voice. The reason? You don't show enough personality.

Prettymaid
04-12-2012, 09:29 PM
Oh okay. I stopped watching in the middle of last season when they used the save on the quirky guy with the beard too early (IMO), and then couldn't use it on Pia. It wasn't even so much about Pia for me, as much as I began disliking the judges. Simon may have been mean sometimes, but one thing he wasn't was vague and predictable.

Carry on!

Maleah
04-12-2012, 11:46 PM
Unfortunately I didn't get to watch this week because our stupid cable provider is in "discussions" with FOX over prices. So until they come to an agreement, no FOX for us. grrrrr. NOT happy! Just a couple of random notes though....

1) It really didn't surprise me too much that Jessica was the bottom. It also didn't surprise me that the judges saved her. She has an amazing voice.....especially when you think of her age. To deny that would mean a person is crazy, imo. lol BUT...she just does not connect with people. Except my bro-in-law. lol He adores her but then he pretty much always votes for a girl. If I was listening to her only, as Soda said, she's amazing. But watching her, I just don't connect...which is why it still baffles me that they're so harsh with Hollie about that but don't point it out at all with Jessica. The judges pretty much always pick one that they want to win early and then back them the whole way through. Everyone is getting annoyed with Joshua, but I think the one they're doing that to this year is Jessica.

2) It's funny that you guys dislike the Colton/Skylar pairing so much! Literally everyone that I've talked to around here LOVED them together both times! Definitely don't see them as a couple thing and I think it's just turned into a big joke for everyone at this point. But I DO think they sound great together! Most people I've talked to actually dislike the pairing of Elise/Phillip. I wish they'd switch up the duets though. They should try to have a different pairing every week.

Topkat
04-13-2012, 07:27 AM
Well, I think people were surprised that Jessica was the one voted off, but not surprised she was saved. The judges have been playing favorites since the Top 13 started, that being Jessica & Joshua. The bashing of Hollie, has backfired on them, with tons of protest & sympathy votes by the public.

I agree that Jessica is too boring, but technically she is a great vocalist. American Idol is so much more than a singing competition, it's a popularity contest. Voters don't like the judges telling them who to vote for. Jessica has been given all the glory, standing ovations, etc, but I don't think the voters really like her. What cracked me up last night was when she said, "I have been working hard my whole life." Her whole life!!!!! She is 16. What a ridiculous statement...

Well, next week two go home. We'll see if the judges save helps Jessica or not, but none of this has convinced me to vote for her, or changed my mind about the other contestants. Where Phillip, Colton, and Elsie all have their own style, Jessica doesn't and she does not connect with the song or the audience, and her personality is not very likable...I think regardless of the save, she won't last much longer.

Brooke
04-13-2012, 09:57 AM
I was shocked that Jessica was voted off, but not at all surprised they saved her.

I am a bit sick of them pushing her and Joshua down our throats. That could definitely backfire on them.

So, one thought, last year the country boy won and we have a very country sounding girl here this year. Does anyone from that genre ever sit in with Jimmie or perform? It seems they should to me.

I can't really pick a favorite. I really like Colton, Elise and Phillip, but I don't think they are dynamic enough. I pick Joshua to win it if the judges don't screw it up.

Topkat
04-13-2012, 11:29 AM
Regardless of the outcome of the show, the success of the singers really depends on the release of their first album. Many of the Idol winners have failed miserably; like Lee Dewyze, Kris Allen & Taylor Hicks, yet others who have not won have been big success stories, like Daughtry and Jennifer Hudson. Winning Idol does not guarantee a great career. It gets the recording contract, but a few others in the Top 10 do get recording deals. If Jessica goes & still gets signed, it will be a matter of if she has a hit....

Anything is possible for any of these kids. I do think that Phillip, Joshua & Colton will get deals, no matter when they leave the show...The girls, I'm not so sure about.

sodascouts
04-18-2012, 10:00 PM
It was nice that Ryan Seacrest acknowledged Dick Clark’s passing. Classy.

Hollie (“Rolling in the Deep”) – Oh my gosh. LOVE. This was fabulous. YOU GO HOLLIE!! Finally she gets some props – and she deserved it. Votes for Hollie from me! Texting “Vote” to 5701!

Colton (“Bad Romance”) – Wow, I can actually make out the lyrics when Colton is singing them – I like the song when Gaga sings it, but she doesn’t really enunciate, lol. As for Colton, his performance really wasn’t doing it for me, although it certainly wasn’t bad (except the low part – that was a bit shaky). I think he knew it wasn’t his best – he looked a little dismayed at the end. Not bad, not great.

Elise (“No One”) – Every time she opens her mouth and sings I’m reminded of how much I love the texture of her voice. She will get votes from me no matter what. Yay Elise! About the dog – poor thing. I know how it is to lose a beloved pet; it hurts bad. I admired the fact that even though she was obviously about to cry, she held onto it instead of going on and on to milk pity votes from the audience. I’m there for ya, girl! Texting “Vote” to 5703!

Phillip (“You Got It Bad”) – I don’t like the song much but I am attracted to his intensity, even if the vocal wasn’t always there. It’s very sexy. He does kinda remind me of Lindsey Buckingham sometimes! Stevie was right. He’ll get votes from some girls tonight, that’s for sure. (BTW it’s mind-boggling how Randy shamelessly recycles the “This year we have a great artist!” line EVERY year since David Cook.)

Jessica (“Fallin’”) – How can she sell sexy when she’s 15? It actually kind of makes me uncomfortable when they encourage her to sex it up. Great voice, although I could do without some of those runs, but every time she made a “sex face” and was singing things like “You give me so much pleasure” I was going “EW.” Thus, I couldn’t really enjoy it.

Skylar (“Born This Way”) – so, so far, we have two Alicia Keys songs and two Lady GaGa songs. Let’s get some variety, people! To be fair, both the Gaga songs were totally different than her versions. Skylar was kind of hit and miss on this one, I think. It was rockier than her usual choices and I think she’s not as comfortable singing that way. She had great moments and some not-so-great moments. Memo to Randy: You do not address a woman as “Dude.”

Joshua (“I Believe“) – A Fantasia song, eh? Some folks on other boards actually call him “Mantasia” in honor of her, lol. I’m not sure that’s a good thing. The beginning was weak but when he went into the more powerful part it was terrific. Didn’t deserve the standing ovation but they rarely do. Oddly, even though he got tearful, I wasn’t moved. I was, however, impressed with the way he sold that last bit. If the whole song had been done like that, THEN he would have deserved the standing o.

Hollie (“Son of a Preacher Man”) – Eh. The song didn’t really seem to fit her – but she’s a white teenager – soul is not going to be her strong suit. Love Hollie, but didn’t love this one.

Colton (“September”) – His red hair streak matched the piano! Cute! I liked it better than “Bad Romance” for sure – I thought it was very good. Was I blown away? No, but I enjoyed it.

Elise (“Let’s Get It On”) – She’s so cute! That outfit was hot – very Stevie Nicks. However, I’m not sure if her catwoman moves will appeal to the American Idol audience. Needless to say, loved the grit in her voice and the way she worked it. BTW, JLo, how is she supposed to show she’s “feeling” this one? Hump the stage? And I can’t believe JLo used Elise’s dying dog in her CRITIQUE and told Elise she wasn’t showing enough emotion when talking about how her dog was near death?! WTH??? I usually am annoyed by JLo – this is the first time I was pissed off at her.

Phillip (“In the Midnight Hour”) – He surprised me with this one – in a good way! I have been tempted to get off the P2 train in recent weeks, but I really liked this one and for one his moves were fun instead of contorted (for the most part). The only thing is that the song wasn’t exactly challenging. His “Big Note” wasn’t really all that. Weak ending too… but good enough to make me keep liking Phillip.

Jessica (“Try a Little Tenderness”) – oh my gosh, that outfit was horrific. Who did that to her?? At least her hair was cute, although it made her look ten years older. The shoes and earrings were nice, though. Her dancing was so awkward. Yes, Jessica bores me so much that I evaluate her clothes rather than her singing. I will say, though, that the way she sang the end of the song even got my attention. Oh man, I wish JLo hadn’t brought up the whole “BBChez” alter ego thing. Don’t encourage that lame alter-ego crap, Jennifer!

Skylar (“I Heard It Through the Grapevine”) – I liked the way she sang it but her moves were way over the top. It was distracting the way she was jumping around and pointing and waving her arms. Still, as always, I enjoyed her spirited singing.

Joshua (“A Change is Gonna Come”) – I enjoyed this but other than a couple excellent moments, it wasn’t as intense and moving as I expected it to be. The facial expressions were a bit weird, too. He should avoid singing to the camera. Oh, Joshua got another standing o…. how unexpected.

My fave: Elise of course!

Who’s Going Home: I want Jessica to go, but I fear for Elise.

Topkat
04-18-2012, 10:48 PM
Well tonight was interesting, Thank you Ryan for mentioning Dick Clark who he says was a major influence on his career.
Here's my rundown;

HOLLIE: (Rollin' In the Deep) Yeah, much better Hollie, & the judges learned to stop trashing her, because it got her lots of votes last week. It was a good vocal, not perfect. I'm just kind of sick of hearing this song already. I think Haley did it last year. Every single show has somebody singing this song
HOLLIE (Son of a Preacher) This was just OK for me, not nearly as good as the original.

COLTON: (Bad Romance) This was a really poor choice for him. He's trying too hard for a "look" & it's just not working. That jacket, the hair, It was a hot mess, NOTE; You are no Adam Lambert. He may go home for this one!!
COLTON: (September) I didn't even recognize this song at first. It was changed so much & not in a good way. Colton, you have lost my vote tonight Bottom 3

ELISE: (No One) I thought this was not a good song for her voice. She got way too low & it wasn't working
ELISE: (Let's Get It On) This was a disaster. She was trying to be sexy but I thought it looked uncomfortable. Another poor song choice. She will probably be leaving Bottom 3

PHILLIP: (U Got it Bad) OMG This was better than Usher. Perfect
PHILLIP; (Midnight Hour) Now that's picking the right song. He put down the guitar & really belted it out. Perfect song for him! LOVVVED IT!

JESSICA: (Fallin') I thought the background singers were too loud. It was good, but I am still bored with her.
JESSICA: (Try A Little Tenderness) WTF was she wearing.? That outfit was horrific. She oversung this. It was too much, over the top.

SKYLER: (Born this Way) Country style, didn't love it. I noticed she had Sons of Sylvia playing violin & guitar up there, so she gets points for that!
SKYLER: (Heard It Through the Grapevine) The first time I actually like her singing. It was her best performance on the show, in my opinion.

JOSHUA; (I Believe) It was good, but too dramatic for my taste. Too Gospel I loved him last week, this week, not so much. He can sing, I just don't like his style & type of music
JOSHUA: (A Change Is Gonna Come) Another song Adam did, & not as good. I just can't get behind this guy, but he won't be going home

Bottom3; Elise, Colton & Hollie.
I don't really care who goes home, as long as it's not Phillip!!

Brooke
04-19-2012, 10:15 AM
I really enjoy reading your critiques! I sit here reading and am either nodding my head one way or the other! lol

I think my favorites for the night were Hollie and Skylar. I thought they both did great on their songs.

Worst? Colton and Joshua. For me. I really like Colton, but he just didn't touch me this week.

I really get tired of the judges comments sometimes, too. JLo goes way too far and I'm like, is she ever going to shut up? :yawn:

sodascouts
04-19-2012, 10:30 AM
BTW it was pointed out by another fan that Josh has gotten six standing ovations IN A ROW. Come on!

Brooke
04-19-2012, 10:36 AM
Good grief! Could their preference get any more obvious? :rolleyes:

Now they have me thinking that each one of the contestants are thinking they didn't do very well cause they didn't get the standing o.

Topkat
04-19-2012, 12:31 PM
If I hear those judges say, "You could sing the phone book" one more time, I swear, I'm gonna turn the channel. Paula used that line 10 years ago, & it still won't go away!!!.....PLEASE make it Go Away!!!

This is what they get paid $15 million dollars for!

Brooke
04-19-2012, 01:23 PM
Looks like we're not the only ones who think the judges need help:

http://theclicker.today.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/04/17/11243502-american-idol-judges-are-missing-key-component-credibility?lite

sodascouts
04-19-2012, 03:27 PM
The audience's reactions to the judges' biased gushing this season have been almost universally negative. If they had any sense, they'd tone down the over-the-top promotion of Jessica and Josh to save them from a huge backlash... but it's probably too late for that - in Jessica's case, at least. The judges just don't seem to get it. Don't they pay any attention to audience feedback at all?

Oh how I miss Simon, who would actually regularly critique in a meaningful way. He was rude, yes, and I didn't always agree with him - but he was a reality check. The judges are currently even more removed from reality than the contestants. When the contestants mess up, they know it - even when the judges give them tongue baths.

What I really don't understand is this. The point of American Idol has always been to find someone who could be a "star" - who could sell albums. The idea of the vote was to show which contestant had the most appeal to the music-buying public.

So... if you're having to TELL people to vote for someone... do you really think this person will be able to sell albums once the show ends?! If not, then what's the point of trying to keep that person in the competition? The judges have completely lost perspective. They now seem to believe the contest is about making sure their favorite wins. If the music-buying public doesn't want her to win, then they're stupid and need to be chastised, eh judges?

Well, if you're making your living off of the music-buying public, maybe you should rethink being dismissive of what they want.

At least Jimmy Iovine seems to be keeping marketability in mind.

Topkat
04-19-2012, 06:28 PM
That was a good article & it's about time somebody told the judges they are not doing a good job! They have certainly lost all credibility.

I really think that both Steven Tyler & JLo signed on for VERY BIG MONEY & to promote their own careers! Most especially JLo. She always has her videos on & she's always hocking some perfume, clothing, cars or whatever other side deal she's got going on, & she uses the show to promote it and the JLo brand.

Steven does this to promote himself & Aerosmith, who are suddenly touring again, but to a lesser degree.

Let's face it; they get BIG MONEY for doing this show, & they really don't do much to deserve it!! I think they all make in the $15 MILLION dollar range, to give a few remarks about the contestants & a standing ovation a few times a night. The author is right, they are acting more like fans than judges!

sodascouts
04-19-2012, 09:01 PM
WOW.

Did NOT see that one coming. I haven't been this shocked since Pia!

Oh my gosh, when he started singing to God, I got choked up. What a classy way to go out.

YOU ROCK, COLTON. I wish you all the best, and I definitely think you have a shot at the CCM market.

Topkat
04-19-2012, 09:24 PM
Well, I was shocked that Colton was sent home, because I thought it was going to be Elise, but last night was not a good night for him. Jimmy was right, & I also said that Lady Gaga song was all over the place. When Jimmy said it was like Billy Idol mixed with Spiderman, I agree. He was going in the wrong direction.
I loved him from day 1 & I had been voting for him, but last night I didn't.

That last song he sang was a million times better than either of his songs last night...Now I feel bad that I didn't vote for him because I think he should have stayed longer than Elise or Hollie
I also got choked up when he was singing that song because it was meaningful & heartfelt.....
I'm sad to see him leave:sad::sad:
I hope he gets a recording deal

Brooke
04-20-2012, 10:40 AM
Jessica (“Fallin’”) – How can she sell sexy when she’s 15? It actually kind of makes me uncomfortable when they encourage her to sex it up. Great voice, although I could do without some of those runs, but every time she made a “sex face” and was singing things like “You give me so much pleasure” I was going “EW.” Thus, I couldn’t really enjoy it.

Hey Soda, Jimmy saw your post! :idea: We've all been talking about how young she is and can't connect with the songs! Finally, Jimmy had the same thoughts! She really is too young to sing some of those songs. I wonder what they'll come up with for her.

I was shocked that Colton got the ax. Poor guy, I couldn't watch him sing his last song. I knew I'd be tearing up, so I turned the channel.

Brooke
04-20-2012, 02:10 PM
Oh yeah, I forgot to comment on LMFAO! What was that?! :fear:

sodascouts
04-20-2012, 04:32 PM
Man, I had been trying to forget that part of the program, Brooke!

How hard did they suck?!!! When they cussed, it was relief because the sound would cut out!

Topkat
04-20-2012, 06:27 PM
There was an interview with Colton & he explained that he went over the top on that Gaga song to try to get a standing ovation from the judges, which obviously didn't work. (He noticed how many times the judges have stood up for some of the others.) (Something we all have been complaining about)
He said that really wasn't him & he was afraid that he had alienated his fans. I felt so bad for him, because I think if he had made better song choices that night, he would still be there.:sad: I really liked him, but one bad night at this stage of the game..gets you the boot.

Topkat
04-20-2012, 06:40 PM
Hey Soda, Jimmy saw your post! :idea: We've all been talking about how young she is and can't connect with the songs! Finally, Jimmy had the same thoughts! She really is too young to sing some of those songs. I wonder what they'll come up with for her.

I was shocked that Colton got the ax. Poor guy, I couldn't watch him sing his last song. I knew I'd be tearing up, so I turned the channel.

The kids pick their own songs, Jimmy only gives advice. They have final say of what song they do, but Jimmy said he should have told her those songs were too old for her & lead her in a different direction. Frankly, no matter what she sings at this point, people either love her or can't stand her. I think people have their favorites at this stage of the competition & don't really switch.
Many of the Jessica fans claim that they thought she was safe & didn't vote for her so she ended up at the bottom.

The voting is not really a measure of how well they will sell on the market. People will vote 300 times, but they are not going to buy 300 cd's. It is quite often that the runner up sells more cd's than the winner. The whole voting system needs a revamp. People should get 10 votes & that's it. Then you will get a better picture of the marketability of the contestants.

Troubadour
04-24-2012, 11:26 AM
I was stunned when Ryan said Colton's name. It didn't seem fair at all. I'd been looking forward to seeing a lot more from him, but I loved that he handled the whole thing with grace. It was obvious how shocked and upset Phillip was, too. I'm sure Colton will have a career. I have watched some of his own compositions on YouTube and he is even better singing his own songs.

Topkat
04-24-2012, 02:06 PM
I saw an interview with Colton after the elimination & he said the Lady Gaga song was a mistake, & he said that at the elimination Philip was praying for him when he had his head bowed. So sad to see him leave. Will miss him this week.

sodascouts
04-24-2012, 03:32 PM
Aw, that's very sweet! It's lovely to hear that they can be friends with each other despite all the competitiveness, and the way people like Jimmy pit them against each other (Phillip v. Colton, Jessica v. Hollie, etc.).

I do feel badly for Colton, but I imagine he'll be among the ranks of (at least moderately) successful Idols even though he didn't win.

Topkat
04-25-2012, 06:20 PM
I think Colton will go to Christian radio or an Indie label. I'm not sure that he will get a major label recording deal, but I do hope that he is successful. He's gotten a lot of exposure on the show, so we'll see where it goes. He is very good & seems like a really nice guy. Going to miss him tonight on the show. I really didn't think he would be gone so soon :depressed:

Topkat
04-26-2012, 09:24 AM
Last night was Queen night, & my fears for this round were justified. The group medley sung with Queen was a hot mess. This group was just not cut out for Queen songs. I mean after Adam Lambert sang with them, nothing & nobody can do it better!
Round two was the contestants choice; some made good choices, some didn't. It was a mixed round for me

JESSICA (Bohemian Rhapsody) Well, somebody was going to do this song, but it should not have been Jessica. Horrible job on this one. Even the judges were not raving over her on this.
(Dance With My Father Again) This was a good song for her. This song has a lot of meaning & for the first time I felt Jessica was connected to the song. Saved her from a terrible night.

SKYLAR (Show Must Go On) Sorry, but I had to hit the mute button on this one. I could not tolerate her voice on this song...UGH Hated it!
(Tatoos On This Town) I am not familiar with this song, but it was too country for me. Judges loved it!

JOSHUA (Crazy Little thing Called Love) He over sang it, but his voice sounded great. Judges....Over praising again, Standing ovation AGAIN
(Ready For Love) I thought he did a great job on this one. He was less dramatic, & smoother vocally...Nice job!

ELISE (I Want It All) This song was in her pocket vocally. Nice blend of her rocker voice..In her element here...Nice job
(Bold as Love) This Hendrix song was a little off for me & the judges weren't too happy with it. Loved her blue dress, but not the scarf attached to her. Overall a good night for her!

PHILLIP (Fat Bottom Girls) Oh boy, Queen songs are not for Phillip, but I guess this was his best pick. It was ok, but not his best.
(The Stone) This Dave Mathews song was a bit off the beaten track. People were not familiar with it. It was ok, but I am in serious fear for Phillip tonight!

HOLLIE ( Save Me ) Here's Hollie asking to be saved! Perfect. It was pretty good
( The Climb) Now this is the song that's going to save her! It was just beautiful... Hollie will be safe tonight!

Funniest part of the night was Ryan's girlfriend Julianna Hough on the side of the stage gushing over Phillip Phillips & Ryan mentioning it. Phillip swears he's not trying to steal Ryan's girlfriend!!

All said, I really fear for Phillip tonight. It was not his best night, and I worry he may go... Jessica was also not the best.
I personally would like SKYLAR to GO. I have had enough of her, but the judges loved her last night, so I think she is safe.
I think Hollie is Ok but Elise may be in danger as well.

****Sorry about the bold, I couldn't fix it

Brooke
04-26-2012, 10:24 AM
I don't know. I'm not a Queen fan, but I didn't think they did too bad.

I liked most of the performances except Phillips Dave Matthews song. I didn't know it, so to me it was just kinda weird.

Even though I'm not a big fan of Joshua, I think he did the best.

Going home-haven't a clue.

Topkat
04-26-2012, 07:50 PM
Word is that Ryan Seacrest was extremely sick last night & they almost had to call in an emergency last minute replacement for him, but Ryan, the pro that he is, went on as if he was just fine. I couldn't tell that he was sick, so he really pulled it off. As Queen would say, Show Must Go On

Ryan, You ROCK!

sodascouts
04-27-2012, 06:23 AM
I missed both shows this week - boo! Even more upsetting, I just learned my favorite has been sent home! BOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Here's hoping Elise finds success outside of AI.

Topkat
04-27-2012, 08:43 AM
The bottom 3 was Elise, Hollie & Skylar, so I was relieved that Phillip was not in the Bottom 3, but it was not his best night. They say he is still having a lot of pain with his kidney condition, & his energy was low. I was glad to see he escaped the Bottom 3.
Elise was pretty good on Wed. night, but I think the Hendrix song wasn't her best....Sorry to see Elsie go home, but at this point, I was not that surprised.

Brooke
04-27-2012, 09:43 AM
I missed it last night, so I was wondering.

Darn, I'm sorry to see Elise go home too. I was afraid for her and Phillip. I'm really surprised Phillip wasn't in the bottom three.

Topkat
04-27-2012, 04:47 PM
I missed both shows this week - boo! Even more upsetting, I just learned my favorite has been sent home! BOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Here's hoping Elise finds success outside of AI.

Somebody, I think it was Ryan, said, "You know Stevie Nicks said she would hire you, so maybe you should get in touch with her" I thought that was very cool of him to mention that!!

sodascouts
04-27-2012, 04:54 PM
Well, maybe Stevie can help her find a job elsewhere, but I highly doubt she'd actually hire her. Her backup singers have been with her for almost 30 years! But hey, maybe one will retire, and then it'll be time to call up Elise!

Topkat
04-27-2012, 05:02 PM
Right, you never know when she may need a back up singer. If one of them is sick or retires, we may be seeing Elise up there with Stevie. That would be pretty cool, or maybe Stevie knows someone else who needs a good singer. Hey, it sure can't hurt to have a recommendation from Stevie Nicks!

Topkat
04-28-2012, 12:11 AM
Elise & Colton are killin' it on the Tonight Show with Jay Leno!!!:applause:
Watch if you can!

Brooke
05-03-2012, 02:40 PM
I thought last night's show was pretty entertaining although I wasn't as 'moved' as the judges seemed to be at times, big surprise! :roll:

Jessica-Proud Mary (Tina Turner) and You Are So Beautiful (Joe Cocker) I thought she did ok on PM, but who can compete with TT? YASB was really, to quote Steven, beautiful.

Skylar-Fortunate Son (Creedence Clearwater Revival) and You Don't Have To Say You Love Me (Dusty Springfield) I missed the first one except the clip at the end and didn't know the second song, but didn't think she did as well on it.

Phillip-The Letter (The Box Tops) and Time of the Season (The Zombies) He lost me tonight. The first song was just......different. The second one was better.

Hollie-River Deep, Mountain High (Ike & Tina Turner) and Bleeding Love (Leona Lewis) Loved both of her performances and especially BL. Gorgeous song!

Joshua-Ain't Too Proud To Beg (Temptations) and To Love Somebody (Bee Gees) I didn't know the first one, but didn't see any of it but the clip at the end. The second song was great if you can handle a bit of screeching. I don't know, to me he sounds screechie sometimes.

I thought the best performances were Hollie and Joshua with Skylar being third. Jessica is really good, but she is just so stiff and I can't get that she feels it when she sings. Joshua and Skylar are by far the best entertainers. They really get in to their music. Hollie has a bit of a problem with feeling it too. If she would look in to the camera more she would capture people, but she tends to look away or close her eyes.

Going home-I hope Phillip. Even though he is cute!

Topkat
05-03-2012, 03:18 PM
I've been having computer issues today, & I forgot to post here, but I will give MHO briefly

HOLLIE: I thought this was by far Hollie's best night! "River Deep & Mountain High" was great vocally & she looked amazing & she DANCED!
"Bleeding Love" This was good, but when you hear Leona Lewis sing it, there's no comparison. Still good

PHILLIP: "The Letter" & "Time of the Season" Both his performances were a bit weak last night. I worry he might be getting the boot tonight. P2 just doesn't have much range in his voice, but I do believe he will be one of the more successful Idols this season. He's a musician & an artist, something none of the others are.

SKYLAR; "Fortunate Son" OML This was terrible, wrong song, had to hit the mute button. " You Don't Have to Say You Love Me" This was a little better, but I just cannot stand this girl & I hope she GOES tonight! Unfortunately she is probably going to stay.

JESSICA: " Proud Mary" This was a joke, right. Jes doing Tina Turner was laughable! "You Are So Beautiful to Me" This was way too slow & dragged out, I was falling asleep during this elevator arrangement.

JOSHUA: "Ain't to Proud to Beg" Josh has a great voice, but he just does way too many runs in a song. "To Love Somebody" This was also a lot of screaming runs. Judges loved it, & gave a standing O.

JOSH & PHILLIP DUET: "You've Lost that Loving Feeling" These 2 are like oil & water, but somehow it was not that bad!

JESS, HOLLIE & SKYLAR: "Higher & Higher" This was an odd arrangement of the song, but the girls looked good & they worked it!

Who's leaving? PHILLIP or JESSICA
Who do I want to go: SKLYAR

Topkat
05-04-2012, 08:15 AM
Well, I was happily surprised that SKYLAR is finally leaving. She was my least favorite of the Top 10. I didn't like her attitude, her manic stage antics, her nasal twang or anything else about her. I think when she said the other night that she would like to kill a really big deer, & that disaster performance of "Fortunate Son" that finally did her in. Nobody wants to hear about shooting an innocent deer. That was a real turn off.

On the other hand, Phillip was declared safe early in the show, but I have been hearing that Phillip is very sick & he really needs a kidney operation, but is waiting to have it because of the recovery time needed. He apparently is in a lot of pain all the time, which may be the reason for some of his low energy & lack luster performances lately.

Guest performances by Coldplay, were ok. This band is over rated in my opinion, but very popular with the masses. Carrie Underwood sang a song from her new album, "Blown Away" which I didn't really like that much compared to some of her other songs. She looked beautiful in a white gown, showing a lot of leg with a high slit., "a la Angelina Jolie" at the Oscars.

Next week, I look forward to David Cook performing on May 10th & Adam Lambert on May 17th. Now these are 2 of my favorite idols! Can't wait !!!!

Brooke
05-04-2012, 10:09 AM
Carrie reminded me of Angelina too, Tk! lol I liked Carrie early in her career, but I'm not so sure about her now. She is so made up that she looks like a Barbie doll. The price of fame I guess.

Well, for what it's worth, I liked Skylar and am sad to see her go, but someone has to. I was hoping that Phillip would go. I am sorry to hear that he is really ill. I hope he can make it through as far as he needs to, poor guy.

Topkat
05-04-2012, 09:28 PM
Joshua & Phillip take on "You've Lost that Lovin' Feeling" Somehow I just loved this duet;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=dRkf2RwH4ho

sodascouts
05-09-2012, 08:52 PM
Watching now - what happened to Jimmy Iovine??

ETA: OK, he's been found, lol.

Topkat
05-10-2012, 08:38 AM
Well the Top 4 performing last night, Themes were; California Dreamin' either a song about California or a California artist. The other theme was "Songs you wish you had written" Ok where did they come up with these themes???
Notes: Randy is wearing an orange plaid jacket with a "YO" pin on his lapel.
Jullian Lennon in the house tonight

PHILLIP: "Have you Ever Seen the Rain"by CCR Phillip put his usual spin on this song & it suited his voice pretty well. He smiles when he sings, I love that! Nice
"Volcano" by Damien Rice. I was not familiar with this song, but it was very sexy & Phillip put his soul into it. Female back up singer & cello player added to it was perfect. The judges loved it, (me 2)Randy said it was his best performance on the show

HOLLIE: "Faithfully" by Journey She did pretty well with this song & the judges liked it.
"I Can't Make You Love Me" Bonnie Raitt. The judges were back to the Hollie bash fest. Non of them liked it, said it was off & the wrong song for her.

JOSHUA: "You Raise Me Up" Josh Groben Well we had the full choir, the raised platform, the gospel Josh & the judges loved it, gushing over the top praise.
"It's a Man's Man's World" It was a great vocal, the judges are over the moon. JLo even bowing to him.Very clear they want Josh to win this thing. Standing O

JESSICA; "Steal Away" Etta James. She brings out the sexy growl on this one. JLo gushing over her. I thought this was another song that was too old for her.
"And I Am Telling You" from Dream Girls. This was a knock out performance by Jessica Standing O from the judges.

PHILLIP / JOSHUA DUET; "This Love" Maroon 5. This didn't work for me at all but the judges loved it comparing them to Adam Levine & Usher! Really? What???

JESSICA/ HOLLIE/ "Eternal Fame" the Bangles I thought it was good, but the judges weren't in love with it, especially Randy. They were swinging on some swings on the stage...it was strange. At the end Josh & Phillip took to the swings.

TOP 4 80's Power Ballads; "When You Love Someone" & "I've Been Waiting for A Girl Like You" Some nice harmony vocals on this. It was nice

The judges are making it very clear that they want Jessica & Joshua in the finals.
Who's going tonight? HOLLIE or PHILLIP

Brooke
05-10-2012, 09:46 AM
I pretty much agree with you Tk. It's clear the judges have chosen Joshua and Jessica.

I do get tired of them bashing Hollie. Poor thing. I thought she did well, but she doesn't draw me in like she should.

I really liked both of Phillip's songs. I thought the last one was very cool and sexy, but I don't think he will have enough followers to make it to the end because he is just so different.

I thought the Etta James song Jessica did was way too old for her, again. Can't she come up with some good young songs?

I really liked both of Joshua's songs tonight and figure he will win the whole thing.

I bet Hollie goes home, if the judges persuaded enough people.

sodascouts
05-10-2012, 09:40 PM
I watched last night and the hyperbole used to describe Jessica's and especially Joshua's performances was really disgusting. They're good singers but overpraise does nothing but make the audience roll their eyes.

I really, really don't want Jessica to win. She annoys me. She has a good voice, but she comes off like a little girl imitating others. I'm not interested in listening to two hours of that at a concert.

I don't think Phillip should win - he's very attractive, but his voice just isn't there. I agree he did well last night, but he didn't really stretch himself either. It was more his choice of arrangement and performance skills that sold it. That said, American Idol isn't necessarily all about vocals, so... who knows.

I would've loved Hollie to go further just because it's such a great narrative - the girl who's always in the bottom three but always making it! I voted for her. Still, her performances last night weren't the best.

Although the judges overpraise of Joshua makes me gag and he sometimes gets a little screechy, overall I think he deserves to win.

Topkat
05-10-2012, 09:41 PM
Well, I was not shocked that it was Hollie leaving. She had been in the Bottom 3 several times during the show. Boy they really drag out the results on the show.

I very much enjoyed David Cook's performance of "The Last Song I'll Write For You". I don't really think it's the best song on his album, but Cookie is a great singer & I totally adore him.

Now JLo, Oh boy what was that outfit she was wearing? Looked like a sparkly bathing suit??? She was not singing live, as usual. Lip synced performance & her voice is electronicly altered on the song. She's really more of a dancer than anything, at least that's how I see her.

Well, so long Hollie. She's a sweet girl & she did well on the show, but not sure that she will get a recording contract, but we'll see. Good luck to her.

Brooke
05-11-2012, 09:30 AM
Yikes, JLo's outfit! I was thinking there would be a malfunction any minute! lol

Yeah, I figured Hollie would be the one going down, they've slammed her most of the time.

I guess I think Joshua should win, but I don't like the screeching he does sometimes. Jessica may have the voice, but she's not ready to be an entertainer.

Getting pretty tired of all the hoopla over those two for sure!

Topkat
05-11-2012, 02:47 PM
If it comes down to Joshua & Jessica. I want Josh to win, but mostly because I can't stand Jessica. She thinks she's a diva already at 16. She has just been singing all the big top diva vocals & she is really no different; has no individuality. I would never buy her album; but probably not Josh either. As for Phillip, I still think he will record an album. He just has his own style & I like him for that. I think he writes music too.

I think Hollie would be cute on the Glee show, because she is the right age & so cute & can sing. That would be a great gig for her. Just my opinion.

Topkat
05-16-2012, 11:06 PM
The Top 3 had 3 songs each tonight, Round 1: Judges Choice Round 2: Contestants choice Round 3: Jimmy Iovine's choice
They did the usual homecoming visits with the parades etc.
Many of the picks tonight were a bit underwhelming, some poor choices made on all ends.

JOSHUA: 1: "I'd Rather Go Blind"(Etta James ) This was by far Josh's best song of the night. He did a nice vocal & it was in his lane Standing O from all the judges.
2: "Imagine" (John Lennon) This was not a great choice for Josh. It was a little gospel & to me it didn't really work..Judges loved it
3, "No More Drama" (Mary J. Blige) This was a big ol' scream fest. I didn't like it at all, judges liked it & said it was emotional

JESSICA: 1: My All ( Mariah Carey) To me this song was nothing special, picked for her by JLo, but then she said there was no big note there. Not her best, but Tyler says she may be the last one standing. (that's usually the kiss of death)
2: "I Don't Want to Miss A Thing" (Aerosmith) This girl has balls to sing this for Tyler, & she didn't really pull it off. Anyone who has seen David Cook sing this would never attempt it because it cannot be topped. Tyler gave a standing O which was not really deserved. He's pissing me off & being very fake lately.
3."I'll Be There" (Jackson 5) I guess this was her best of the night, but overall Jessica turned in 3 poor performances. For this song they gave her "Big Hair"
and she was looking a lot like Yoko Ono, & that's not really a good thing!
I think Jess has overstayed her welcome & needs to GO HOME tomorrow

PHILLIP: "Beggin" (Madcon) WOW PP, really made this song work. I think this was one of his best of the season. Tyler said he could be the next Springsteen. JLo wanted to give a standing O, but the others didn't get up, so she didn't.
JLo gives round 1 to Phillip
2. "Disease" (Matchbox 20) This was just Ok for me, it's just not such a great song, IMHO. Not a great song choice.
3. "We've Got Tonight" (Bob Seger) This was a good pick for PP, the judges loved it, & gave a standing O. Randy said Philip had a "moment" I liked the performance, but I thought his first song was much better

Best line of the night, was when Randy gave Philip a not so great review for the 2nd song, Ryan pointed out that Philips father was packing some heat in the homecoming visit, then his parents were laughing in the audience

Who's leaving? Well based on tonight, It should be Jessica, but you never know

Brooke
05-17-2012, 10:21 AM
Yeah, I didn't think any of them had their best night and am going to be glad when it's all over. Like, no one is making me watch, right?! lol

About all I have to say is I thought Jessica's rendition of I'll Be There was really great for her. I thought the song fit and she did it beautifully. And the judges weren't impressed. Figures! And the other songs were, once again, too old for her. Jimmy got it right!

I did like Phillip's "Disease" and "We've Got Tonight". But they weren't fabulous.

I couldn't even guess who will go home. Probably Phillip, if the judges get their wish, because he isn't praised nearly as much as the other two. Is America going to listen? We'll see! I actually tried to vote for Phillip for the first hour, but never could get through.

Topkat
05-17-2012, 05:33 PM
I tried to vote for Phillip & all 3 of his lines were busy the entire night. I only got through a few votes, I voted a little for him online.

Don't forget to watch tonight because ADAM LAMBERT (my baby) will be performing tonight. I was so lucky to get to see him Live on Tues when he was promoting his album here in NY at a private show! He is so gorgeous in person, and he sang 9 songs, all perfect!!! Love him....
Also Lisa Marie Presley is performing. That should be interesting.

Wonder who's going home? I hope Jessica. She was not her best last night compared with previous weeks.

Brooke
05-18-2012, 09:50 AM
Shocker! Josh is done! I figured he'd win it! Not that I wanted him too.

So between Jessica and Phillip, I choose Phillip. Should be interesting! I think Jessica is way too young, but I fear Phillip doesn't have enough 'presence'.

So, will the teenyboppers choose the cute guy or the teenybopper? :hmm:

Topkat
05-18-2012, 09:53 AM
Well it looks like it's Jessica & Phillip in the finals. I wanted it to be Joshua & Phillip, but this is it!

Last night the trio did a really strange version of "Got to Get You Into My Life"
Why? I'm not sure how this song fit in, but the arrangement was pretty terrible.

Lisa Marie Presley performed a song called, "You Ain't Seen Nothin' Yet" which was ok but pretty unimpressive.

Now for Adam Lambert, showing the Idols how it's done, singing "Never Close Our Eyes" from the new cd. I think the band started a bit too soon, but that didn't throw off Lambert. I saw him sing this the other night. He's a pro & looked pretty sharp in his outfit to match the cd cover! Just love this guy. Love him without the makeup...looking very clean cut these days.

Should be an interesting finale. I'm not sure who the guest performers will be, but I'm sure we will find out soon.

Brooke
05-18-2012, 10:05 AM
It seems like I heard that Aerosmith is going to perform........

If so, that would be great!

Topkat
05-18-2012, 07:22 PM
Yes, I think I did hear that Aerosmith will be performing, so that's good. I'm sure there will be lots of other guests. They always do a great finale.

News reporters today said that Phillip is in very bad shape & his doctors are recommending that he have emergency surgery on his kidney. I sure hope he's OK, but there is a chance that he may miss some of the tour. I will support him whatever happens, I just want him to be healthy & not worry about doing American Idol. It's just a TV show.

sodascouts
05-22-2012, 11:21 AM
What? Josh is gone? Oh no! I cringe at the idea of Jessica winning, but Philip is just another "white guy with guitar" and it's getting boring having the same type of guy win Idol every year. For the audience, I'm afraid, it's NO-win.

Topkat
05-22-2012, 12:59 PM
Don't forget Idol will be Tues & Wed nights this week!

We can only see what the finalist will deliver tonight. They are each singing 3 songs. I also thought for sure that Joshua would be in the finals, but he didn't pull in the votes, so it's Jess & Phillip dueling it out. I really think Idol wants a girl to win, so I bet they will be pushing for the win for Jessica. I don't like her at all & would much rather have PP win, but who knows, anything can happen.

I will have to record the finale as I won't be home, but I will be watching tonight! I hear there will be quite a few surprise guest appearance on Wed. night.

Topkat
05-23-2012, 09:00 AM
Well last night was the final showdown between these very different Idol contestants. They each sang 3 songs;
Round 1; Song chosen by Simon Fuller
Round 2: Contestants favorite song of the season
Round 3; The winner's song to be the first recording

JESSICA was up first. Round 1 she sang "I Have Nothing" (Whitney Houston)
She was just OK for me on this. Compared to Whitney, it wasn't great. There was no real power in the vocal & some sharp notes. She even looked a little scared.Didn't love it.
Round 2; "The Prayer" I thought this was boring. No real moment in the song. Also some sharp notes in there. Just lack luster overall
Round3; "Change Nothing" I really didn't like this song. It didn't really suit her voice. Overall, the poor song choice did nothing for her. She was also sharp on several notes.

PHILLIP: Round1 "Stand by Me" We've heard this song sung on Idol a million times, & this was not the best version of it. It was very low key.
Round2; "Movin' Out" (Billy Joel) This was pretty good, but I had wished PP picked another song, like "Midnight Hour" It was also a low key performance, but Phillip puts his signature growl into it.
Round 3; "Home" Now this is where Phillip really showed his stuff & the song was beautiful & suited his voice. There was a band with drums that added drama & depth to the song. Judges gave him a Standing Ovation & audience loved it.

JUDGES COMMENTS: JLo said it was hard to compare these 2 very different vocalists. She called Phillip an artistic modern day crooner & Jessica a controlled power vocalist. Randy gave Round 1 to Jessica. & Jennifer agreed
Randy said round 2 was even, but Tyler gives Round 2 to Jessica, but the audience didn't agree with him. JLO gave round 2 to Phillip
Round 3; All the judges didn't really love Jessica's final song. I think they all agreed that Phillip took round 3 with an amazing song, that suited him & went over very well. Randy said Phillip was brilliant. This sounds like a winner's song, where Jessica's song was just very dull & didn't really show the power of her voice. Steven Tyler raved over Phillips song saying he hears shades of Paul Simon in there. JLo said it was very different than anything out there.

This is going to be a very tight race. Both have huge fan bases& they are just so different, it's hard to compare. I want Phillip to Win it, but we'll see how it goes.

Brooke
05-23-2012, 09:14 AM
I wasn't impressed with anything Jessica did either.

I loved Phillip's last song 'Home' and thought he also did good on 'Movin' Out'. I thought he definitely won the night.

I hope Phillip wins. Tried multiple times to vote and never made it in.

Topkat
05-23-2012, 11:01 PM
Well, it was a bit of a lackluster finale...to me anyway compared to some of the previous finales.
Phillip sang with John Fogerty of CCR, 2 songs. Have You Ever Seen the Rain & Bad Moon Rising.
Jessica sang with Jennifer Holiday which everyone thought was so spectacular. Skylar sang with Reba, which was pretty good.
There was a tribute to Robin Gibb done by the guys.
The guys also did a Neil Diamond medley.
The girls sang with Chaka Kahn.
Other performers were JLo, Aerosmith, Rihanna,
Josh sang with Fantasia in a real scream fest.

But the WINNER IS PHILLIP PHILLIPS in a record breaking 132 million vote final.
I'm so happy because I have been voting for this guy from the beginning!
His song "Home" was just beautiful. He was crying at the end....

Oh and the shocker of the night was a proposal from Season 5 Ace Young to Season 3 runner up, Diana DeGarmo ! The first Idol marriage...It was so cute! I love those two. They met in NY when they were both doing HAIR on Broadway!!!
CONGRATULAIONS PHILLIP PHILLIPS!!!:singer:

Brooke
05-24-2012, 09:26 AM
Congrats to PP! I'm so glad he won and he was so touched! I wish him well!

Wasn't impressed by any of the performers except Aerosmith. Love them! JLo could have stayed home!

sodascouts
05-24-2012, 10:30 AM
Yay for Phillip!!

WalshFan88
05-24-2012, 04:47 PM
Wasn't impressed by any of the performers except Aerosmith. Love them! JLo could have stayed home!

I agree!! Aerosmith rocks and is in my top 5 favorite bands for sure. I love Joe Perry's new Les Paul and the new Aerosmith song is killer. Reminds me of their older stuff which is great. I can't wait for the new album!

Troubadour
05-26-2012, 08:02 PM
Congrats to Phillip! He's a sweetie and you can tell he's just a regular guy who loves what he does. He's all about the music.