PDA

View Full Version : Desperado - Henley only version from TV series

Redcloud
01-20-2012, 05:51 PM
Here in the UK we had a TV series in the 80s called "Desperado" and no doubt the US had the same series as it was an American show. The theme tune was......you guessed it......Desperado, but by Henley on his own and i think with just a piano accompaniment. Does anyone know if and where this version is commercially available please. It is also on Youtube somewhere.

:band:

Henley Honey
01-20-2012, 06:20 PM
The only Western that I can think of that was on in the U.S. in the 80's was "How The West Was Won" with Bruce Boxleightner and James Arness, but there was definitely no "Desperado" songs that accompanied the series either in it's theme song or in background music. Sorry, can't help you with that.

UK TimFan
01-20-2012, 08:57 PM
The IMDb (International Move Database) has this
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0092876/
which seems to be a one-off but if you click on the 'see more' of 'Connections' there's four more episodes listed.

Immediately under 'connections' it says 'soundtrack' and lists Don Henley and Glenn Frey as opposed to the Eagles, so presumably this is the series Redcloud is referring to.

ETA: Search YT for Duell McCall to hear the track - stick with the fuzzing at the beginning. :smile:

sodascouts
01-21-2012, 12:56 AM
Good detective work!

Redcloud
01-21-2012, 04:47 PM
It was a regular series and I think its even being repeated these days on UK cable/sky channels.

Here it is on Youtube and its quite different. Where is it recorded though? Don tell us!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68F56Mt8yD8

sodascouts
01-21-2012, 05:07 PM
Very cool! I might have to watch this when I get a chance. That cowboy looked kinda sexy.

This version of the song is interesting and different - even more lonely and mournful than the original. However, there is that gaping hole at 2:29 after "Let somebody love you" where you're waiting for the rest of the guys to echo it and you get... nothing. Yep, lonely indeed.

In 1987, Don's solo career had taken off. They must've had to pay him a pretty penny to re-record it for their TV miniseries. It hasn't been released commercially, as far as I know - although I'm happy to be proven wrong in such cases when there's new Eagles goodies about!

Thanks for bringing this to our attention!

UK TimFan
01-21-2012, 10:01 PM
It was a regular series and I think its even being repeated these days on UK cable/sky channels.

Here it is on Youtube and its quite different. Where is it recorded though? Don tell us!
If you scroll down the IMDb link I gave in post #3, it says that filming locations were Old Tucson and Tucson.

Redcloud
01-22-2012, 08:02 AM
Sorry, I meant where is the music recorded. Where is it availbable commercially if at all?

sodascouts
01-22-2012, 02:26 PM
I was referring to this version of the song, too, when I said that it hasn't been commercially released to my knowledge.

Where it was recorded would be even more difficult to discover, since he does not need to be anywhere near Arizona to contribute a song to the show's score. Odds are it was recoded in a studio in Los Angeles or something mundane like that, but who knows?

Ive always been a dreamer
01-22-2012, 03:28 PM
Thanks for the info and video about this, RC.

I agree with Soda that the cowboy in video that is hot! :lol:

And Soda, your description of this version of the song being more lonely and mournful than the original is dead on! ITA.

Redcloud
01-23-2012, 04:05 AM
Love it when he holds that note on "Let somebody luuuuuuuuurve you" at the end.

Nobody had heard of the Eagles here in the UK until 1974 really. By that time The first album and "Desperado" had been released and we missed out on "Take it Easy" and "Peaceful Easy feeling" etc. Desperado was never released here as a single and as far as I know, not in the USA either. But I wonder why?

A massive song like that has perhaps made up it since through album sales etc but I cant help thinking that it wasnt the best of business decisions back in 1973!

Brooke
01-23-2012, 12:47 PM
Oh my! I had forgotten about that! I remember seeing the first movie, and had hoped that the Real Eagles were going to be in it. But of course not! I did like it and thought the cowboy was soooo sexy too!

I think there might have been one more show, but then never saw or heard about any more. :sad:

Ive always been a dreamer
01-23-2012, 01:09 PM
Love it when he holds that note on "Let somebody luuuuuuuuurve you" at the end.

Nobody had heard of the Eagles here in the UK until 1974 really. By that time The first album and "Desperado" had been released and we missed out on "Take it Easy" and "Peaceful Easy feeling" etc. Desperado was never released here as a single and as far as I know, not in the USA either. But I wonder why?

A massive song like that has perhaps made up it since through album sales etc but I cant help thinking that it wasnt the best of business decisions back in 1973!

I know - inexplicable, huh!

sodascouts
01-23-2012, 03:48 PM

How ironic - they recorded their first two albums in England, then switched to recording in America in 1974!

Redcloud
01-23-2012, 04:33 PM
Wasn't half of On the Border recorned in Barnes (London) too and then they decided to quit back to the states with Szymczik to finish it?

sodascouts
01-23-2012, 08:50 PM
If I recall correctly, "The Best of My Love" and "You Never Cry Like a Lover" were the only two songs recorded in London with Glyn Johns off of On the Border.