PDA

View Full Version : iPhones and iPads

Glennsallnighter
01-21-2012, 07:42 PM
Having acquired both recently I was wondering who else has these? Also I thought we could share information on any apps that we particularly like or find useful.

I'll start by asking if anyone knows how/where I can get Eagles/GF ringtones for the iphone 4s? They seem a little thin on the ground to say the least.

GlennLover
01-21-2012, 08:28 PM
I'm posting from my iPhone now. I purchased YBTTC (Smuggler's Blues is also available) from the iTunes Store through my phone. I don't know if they are available in the UK. I know that iTunes Canada & iTunes US do not have the same libraries available & I can't purchase anything from the US site. I love my phone though.

EaglesKiwi
01-22-2012, 04:18 AM
I'm posting from my iPhone now. I purchased YBTTC (Smuggler's Blues is also available) from the iTunes Store through my phone. I don't know if they are available in the UK. I know that iTunes Canada & iTunes US do not have the same libraries available & I can't purchase anything from the US site. I love my phone though.
That's my pet peeve about iTunes (even less stuff available in NZ and I can SEE it on the iTunes sites from other countries... GRRR). Plus, pricing is out of synch with the rest of the world (a song that costs $0.99 in the US costs us $2.39 and with the exchange rate it should only be about $1.25). And that's a big reason why I haven't gone down the Apple path yet. Well, that and the $$$ I just don't have :lol:

I'm interested in hearing about useful apps you all find, though. Anything that helps you manage your time and coordinate life! That might persuade me to re-think. :nod:

sodascouts
01-22-2012, 03:33 PM
I'm afraid they're raising prices on songs on iTunes in America as well, EK. Inflation, I suppose. I use a subscription service, emusic.com, but they are missing several bands such as our own Eagles. Boo! However, the cost is more reasonable and I can download the music as MP3, then simply load it onto my iPod or iPad through iTunes software.

No good ringtones either. Another "boo." I make my own for my Pantech phone, but I'm not sure they will work on an iPhone.

I've been using iPods since 2005, when I won an iPod Shuffle for being one of the first 10 to sign a contract for my apartment lease renewal. At first I thought I didn't need it - I had digitized my music library back in 2000 when I was in college. It was exciting to finally be able to make "mix CDs" just like we used to make mix tapes off the radio. I had plenty of those CDs. Was I to throw them over for this little thing, that only would hold a fraction of the songs I'd put on my computer?

However, in 2005, I also tried to start exercising. While this attempt would eventually peter out, lol, using an iPod while I went out walking was infinitely preferable to a clunky Walkman which would stop working half the time from all the bouncing.

Then, later that year, it was time to visit my parents in Dubai. That flight, altogether, is about 17 hours. I could bring a container of mix CDs, clunky and difficult to haul around, or my little bitty iPod. The choice was simple.

After that I used my iPod all the time, and bought new models every couple of years because I kept exceeding my iPod's memory. My original Shuffle I loaded with Glenn Frey music, called it a "FreyPod," and gave it to PLS when she had to go into surgery. She listened to it the whole time and she said hearing Glenn's voice gave her comfort. How sweet is that?

Obviously, the iPod had proven its worth. However, when the iPhone came out, I figured I didn't need it. I only used my cell phone in the car. I never texted. And who needs a camera on a phone? C'mon!

That changed. My friends were all texting - why shouldn't I? Cell phones were also useful for long distance; using them for long distance calls was cheaper. Why not use them for local calls too? Still, I resisted the iPhone because of the monthly fees and simply got a phone with a keyboard instead.

However, in 2010 I asked for an iPod Mini for Christmas because I'd filled my old iPod to the brim and I thought, rather than buying another one, I could get it for Christmas. Dad went to Best Buy and bought an iPod Touch instead.

It wasn't what I had asked for, but it sure was cool! Since an iPod touch is essentially an iPhone without the actual phone element, I was introduced to the world of apps and how great it was to have portable internet access. My new reason for not getting an iPhone was that I pretty much had it now - did I really need internet access all the time, after all? Nah, having it at home and Starbucks was surely enough. An iPad also seemed unnecessary. I had a laptop, after all!

My travels this past fall were what made me start to want an iPad. My poor laptop was getting banged around from all the traveling. I saw people on the planes using their iPads and I wished I had something so portable to play around on; my iPod was too tiny to do that much on.

I got an iPad for Christmas this year. In some ways, I was disappointed. I had hoped it would replace my laptop, but that's not going to happen as the technology now stands. Typing on it is quite difficult. I could perhaps get used to that, but even worse, there's no USB port, so you have to use a "cloud" to store files - a "cloud" which is only available when you have access to the internet, as you can't save to your iPad. Remember, because I don't have an iPhone, I only have internet access sporadically on trips.

Also, I used my laptop for other complicated activities - photo editing, media editing, html editing... none of those were able to be done on the iPad. Apps that purported to have these capabilities were pale shadows that were quite limited. I couldn't work on it, I couldn't update my sites using it, I couldn't even easily chat on it because of the difficulty of typing (Right now, my iPad sits on the table while I type this from my laptop.) Heck, I couldn't even use Flash on it because Apple has issues with Adobe. You can watch YouTube via a special app but you can't watch any other streaming videos, nor can you play Flash games.

I realized that the only real virtue of the iPad for me was its easy portable access to the internet.... an access which, for me, was limited to my place, my friends/family's places, and hotspots.

I've decided in order to get full value out of my iPad, I'll need to get a data plan. Since I text so much, it will work out well on that end, too. Maybe once I can hook up to the internet from anywhere, I'll get more use out of my iPad. Right now it is just an expensive toy, inferior to my laptop in every way except for its portability. If I travel, I wind up bringing both - the laptop for everyday use, the iPad for when I just want to play in an airport or some other occasion when the laptop is too cumbersome. Frankly, it's not what I had hoped.

sodascouts
01-22-2012, 04:03 PM
Regardless of my frustration with the iPad, here are the apps I use the most:

FREE APPS

AIM (AOL Instant Messenger). Yes, it's hard to type, but now I can respond to messages from friends even if my laptop is off and put away and I'm not near my desktop. If you have friends that like to chat, this is the way to go. Facebook chat is much inferior.

Facebook - Speaking of, anyone who uses Facebook regularly will like the Facebook app. Again, good for when the laptop isn't out and the desktop is in another room.

Netflix - if you have an iPad, consider subscribing to this. It's great to be able to stream movies anywhere in the house without hauling the laptop around.

SparkPeople - trying to count your calories? This app does it for you with a huge database of the calorie counts of popular foods. I take this into the kitchen with me when I'm making dinner to add things up (a bit obsessive perhaps, but it's working). If I'm in a restaurant with wifi, I'll sneak a peek at it before I order. Seeing that Chili's brownie sundae is 1340 calories will help you resist the urge to order one!

TripAdvisor - if you're a traveling a lot, this helps you a great deal when trying to find places to stay or go. It has lots of useful reviews and information to help you make sure you don't wind up at a dump.

The Weather Channel - need to know whether to take an umbrella or coat with you? No need to turn on a computer - you can just hit this app. It's got a beautiful interface as well.

White Pages - just like a portable phone book.

Wikipedia - I tell my students it's not an academic resource and not usable for their research, but it sure is great when you want generalized information quickly. It is the very embodiment of the ideals of the "information age" that the internet has enabled.

Yelp - more useful information and reviews, only this focuses more on entertainment. I can look up a venue and read about the set-up, whether or not there's a pit, where one should park... it's great! I can look up restaurants, clubs.. all sorts of information good to have for a "night out."

PAID APPS

Dropbox - since you can't use a USB port, if you want to store anything and make it accessible from another computer, you have to save it to a "cloud" - ie, a folder that is stored on an internet server and thus is accessible on any device which connects to the internet. Dropbox is not too expensive and does what you need it to do.

Office HD - Well, storing those files is useless if you can't open them. In order to open and edit Word files, you need an Office app. You can also open PowerPoint files; however, you can't edit them.

Freypower
01-22-2012, 05:28 PM
This is a helpful topic as I believe this year I will finally be taking the plunge & buying an iPhone. It may as well be an iPhone because I have an iPod, but I will continue to store my music library on my iPod which is the classic 60GB model. It holds 15000 tracks & I'm only up to 8000 at the moment. I have had it since 2006 so it has served me very well indeed.

VAisForEagleLovers
01-22-2012, 06:26 PM
I'm an Android person, and I love the fact that I can move files back and forth between my laptops and my Droid phone and Kindle Fire. I have the documents folder on my laptop backed up on my phone (and of course a backup hard drive), and since that includes work files, it means I can go to the office and use it like a flash drive. Makes it very easy to download pictures to show others when out and about.

Many apps for iPhone exist for Android, too. I won't be as organized as Soda and split them between paid and free, since I can't remember, but I seldom buy apps.

First, I use Documents To Go. A lot. An expensive app, $10 or so. But it works for every platform, and on the iPhone, if you have both on the same wireless network, you can move MS Office documents back and forth. In my job, I often need to review documents, and while not the prime platform in which to do it, it's nice to be able to work while out getting the car inspected.

Kindle is another app I use very frequently and it's free. I use the Bible app a lot, I can't live without the Weather Channel app, and there's an app called Around Me that's on both Android and iPhone. Using GPS or triangulation, it tells you the things closest to you by category. Banks, restaurants, hotels, you name it. Very helpful when traveling and in a strange place. Of course, you all probably aren't interested in the Penguins and Steeler apps like I am. I have Words With Friends on all the devices and it's synched with my Facebook account so I can play wherever I am. I use Shazam a lot, because it drives me crazy to be somewhere and hear a song and not remember who sang it. Of course, Google Maps and Navigation replaced my need for a Garmin.

One app that is very handy, especially on phones, is the flashlight app. Each brand of phone has its own app, and it uses the phones flash as a flashlight with one touch.

Soda, I had intended to buy a Lenovo Think Pad (I won't since I got the Fire for Christmas) and yes, these things are hard to type with. Of course on my phone I don't type anything since it has a microphone, I do everything by voice. But the big reason I wanted one is that my laptop is too big to use on airplanes. After your comments, I'm thinking maybe a Netbook is the way to go.

Glennsallnighter
01-22-2012, 07:23 PM
Good for you FP, and it does indeed make sense to improve your collection of 'Apple' gadgets! The iPhone will also have an ipod function on it so you will be able to take music with you on the phone as well.

Soda, thats a very interesting selection of Apps that you have. I will definitely consider netflix based on your endorsement. And perhaps SparkPeople too.
My main apps are as follows - I cant really say iPhone or ipad as the free ones synch when either is connected to itunes, so I have them on both.

Radio Stations - RTE, Sunshine, Xmas fm, Q102, Newstalk - all allow me to stream Irish radio programmes.

ibooks - here I can download free and paid audio books but there isn't a great collection. I've downloaded Little Women, Canterbury Tales and What Katy Did Next.

Games - Tetris, Pacman and Bubble annihilator, as well as some that Chris plays.

Photography Apps - Colourblast HD, Phototoaster, snapbucket

Weather - Europeweather and theweatherchannel

Music - Accoustic guitar, guitar lab, GuitarChords, PG songbook.

And some of the most useful ones on the iphone are :

Whatsapp - used to chat to anybody anywhere across the internet. Much Much cheaper than texting!

itorch4pro - a torch on your phone! Very good if you are looking for car keys in the dark!!

Soda! I'm sorry your iPad hasn't been what you hoped for. Mine to the contrary has exceeded all expectations. My hubby suggested I go for the wireless and 3G even though it was more expensive than the wifi only options.So I went for a data plan that costs €7.99 per month. It only kicks in if the venue I'm in doesn't have wifi access. My laptop was broken at the time and was in for repair and probably the most important thing I did on my new 'toy' was book my Fallsview tickets! It was a Godsend when I did go to Niagara Falls, mainly due to its portability! Even now, I can check my emails or check out the Border on my way to work in the mornings!
I can see how its limitations can frustrate you. I view mine as a companion to a computer rather than a standalone. But there are various accessories which may help you. For instance I know you can buy a USB that will directly connect your camera to the iPad, thereby allowing you to transfer pictures directly. I'm sure there are others.
Your ipod history is very interesting to read!

EaglesKiwi
01-23-2012, 01:48 AM
Interesting to read everyone's thoughts.

Does anybody use any kind of function that synchronises multiple diaries?

WalshFan88
01-23-2012, 07:49 AM
Does anybody use any kind of function that synchronises multiple diaries?

I don't know about diaries but with text you can use Evernote which will take text "notes" and share with all of your devices. Perfect for journals, to-do lists, etc. You can compose it on the computer and read it on your phone or tablet.

WalshFan88
01-23-2012, 07:55 AM
I LOVE my iPad. It's a first gen and finally starting to show it's age, it can be slow with page loading at times. I am holding out for the iPad 3 to upgrade though. I think I'll be a every-other-version guy. There wasn't THAT much in the iPad 2 to convince me to upgrade. Mainly it was just a camera and a thinner device.

I would love to have an iPhone but where I live I only get US Cellular reception which means I'm stuck with Android. USCC gets the lowest end phones out there because they are so small compared to Verizon, AT&T, Sprint, etc. I have an HTC Desire. The battery life is my main complaint with Android. I'm lucky if I get a half of a day with my phone. I don't think US Cellular will ever get the iPhone but if they do I will RUN to the store to get it.

As far as iPad apps, I mainly use:

Pandora Radio (personalized internet radio)
Facebook (for checking Facebook)
Twitter (for checking Twitter feed)
Dropbox (for sharing files and media between devices)
Evernote (for sharing text between devices for quick note taking)
Netflix (for streaming movies)

I can't wait for the iPad 3... I will definitely buy one and sell my iPad 1 to my grandpa who has been wanting one. The iPad 3 hopefully will have many new features.

Brooke
01-23-2012, 01:28 PM
I guess I'm showing my age here because I don't find it necessary to have the internet on my phone and I definitely don't want to pay for it. I have it at work and at home. Why do I need it with me constantly! I'm sure I'm in the minority, but I guess I just don't get it. :headscratch:

I do have texting! :lol:

Ive always been a dreamer
01-23-2012, 01:55 PM
I'm old too, Brooke and feel the same way. I've always had the attitude that even the stuff I love to do, I don't want to do it all the time. I need a break. To show how old I am, I hardly ever even text. Not too long ago, my two nieces were sitting side-by-side on the sofa in my living room and they were texting each other. They are always complaining about about not seeing each other enough, so I told them to put those phones away for crying out loud, and TALK to one another. Leave the texting for when they're apart.

Technology is wonderful, but not so much when people can't even carry on a face-to-face conversation. I guess you can just call me 'Analog Woman'! :lol:

Henley Honey
01-23-2012, 02:14 PM
I'm with you, Brooke & Dreamer. I have a Blackberry as it allows the freedom to work from a virtual office from anywhere in the world, but I find it intrusive when business associates expect me to therefore be available after regular business hours and on weekends. I have to draw the line and resist the urge to check my voicemail!! :nope:

Brooke
01-23-2012, 02:22 PM
I have to say I'm really disturbed by people (my kids included) that are constantly doing something on their phone.

The other day I had gone to visit our daughter and we were eating lunch in a restaurant and she was playing some game on her phone the whole time. I mean, geez. I drove two hours to visit you and you can't even give me a few hours of your time without constantly checking the phone? She was talking to me the whole while, but distracted too.

And the public in general is very rude with cell phones. I work for a utility and people are always coming in to the office and trying to do business while taking calls. Can't they ignore the phone for a few minutes? It's very aggravating when you are trying to inform people about how, what, where, and when to do something important and you know they are not paying attention. It's way out of control!

I could go on, but I'd better stop! :argue: :lol:

VAisForEagleLovers
01-23-2012, 03:19 PM
I guess because I'm a software engineer, even being 50 I'm tied to electronic devices! When I have to go into the office, I use Google Maps on my phone to pull up instant traffic status. If my route is red, I get off and take a back route instead of sitting on the interstate and pulling my hair out.

When the brakes went out on my truck last month, and the place I took it to couldn't get it fixed by closing time, I posted on Facebook what happened. In less than five minutes, three friends offered to come and get me. When I got a flat tire on my truck three months ago (you can see this truck is becoming a problem), I pulled up the Geico app, hit a button for Roadside Assistance, it dialed the number and a tow truck was there in less than ten minutes.

I don't text a lot, nor do I use my phone if I'm around other people. If I'm waiting at the doctor's office, though, I'll read a book on Kindle to pass the time.

Oh, and the calculator app to figure out pricing or whatever while at a store is great. Same for the unit conversion app. The best was when I was trading my car in on a new one and the sales guy tried to tell me what the Blue Book value on the old car was. A few taps later I handed him my phone and he said, "I stand corrected." Saved me almost $1500.

I guess the secret is to figure out how to make them work for you without getting sucked in to living only in a virtual world.

Ive always been a dreamer
01-24-2012, 12:38 AM
I guess the secret is to figure out how to make them work for you without getting sucked in to living only in a virtual world.

ITA with what you're say here VA. As I said earlier, technology can be wonderful and I don't mean for it to sound like I hate it. That's not the case at all - as a matter of fact, I make my living off of it. But, like Brooke said, it's really out of control when someone can't function in life without the internet.

sodascouts
07-15-2012, 07:44 PM
I'm reviving this thread because I am finally considering getting an iPhone. As many of you know, I travel quite a bit (many times for various and sundry Eagles, lol), and I've been wishing more and more that I could access the internet from anywhere, not just from hotspots - or, in some cases, paying for it at a hotel.

Indeed, I had pretty much determined I would do it when I could get a free upgrade in October. I decided to investigate some plans.

To my shock and horror, in order to access the internet with any regularity, I would have to pay $135 per month! And, since I have AT&T, even that will only get me 4G of data per month and then I have to pay overage fees. It sounds like a lot, but if my goal is to access the internet, every time I access a webpage I'm using just a bit of it - every time I use an app, every time I use my email, every time I send a photo, ever time I stream a song or a video, even if I'm just watching it on YouTube.... it adds up.

So, I figure, I could just minimize my data usage... if I get a plan with just 200 MB data it won't cost any more than my current plan. However, that's not very much. I could hardly use the internet at all without incurring overage fees. If I have to keep it down to minimal usage, what's the point of getting an iPhone? Wasn't the whole reason I was doing it to get internet access?

So, I'm leaning towards NOT getting one now... but I'm still undecided.

Thoughts from iPhone users, or from those who choose not to get an iPhone?

WalshFan88
07-15-2012, 08:21 PM
I really love Apple and iOS. I've used Apple stuff since I was little. My first computer I ever touched was a Mac, then all Macs at school, and then all Macs of my own. I'm an "Apple fanboy" as they are famously called. :D

I don't have an iPhone but only because US Cellular doesn't offer it and won't ever probably because they aren't big enough. I'm stuck with Android or Windows Phone or BlackBerry. BlackBerry and Windows Phone suck IMO. Android is alright but not a huge fan. I love the iOS and Mac OS. It just works best for me since I have grew up with an all Mac computer life. I do work on Windows PCs for people but all of my own personal computer usage is on my iMac or iPad. I love my iPad 3. It's so awesome. So I use Android since I refuse to use BB or WP. I like it alright but I'm not a fan of the way the operating system works as far as background apps and the fact there is no way to close open apps and since task managers are problematic on Android, you are stuck. Mind you I'm running 2.2 (Froyo). But still, app management and battery life is an issue for me....

I'm going to be getting a new phone in November when I can upgrade and will be getting a Galaxy S III with Ice Cream Sandwich (4.0 Android) and it should hopefully be better and also be a candidate for 4.1 (Jelly Bean) upgrade. I think they ARE getting better with every release and making it more faster and simple like iOS but it's not there yet IMO. It's in it's infancy still IMO. iOS is much more developed/mature I think. I'd get an iPhone in a heartbeat if my provider had the iPhone but I can't switch to Verizon or ATT because they don't offer service in my home area. That said I like what Google is doing with it and I do like their web applications and services a LOT. But Android has a way to go yet to be as easy to use as iOS. Just my experience.

That said a new iPhone is right around the corner - probably Fall (Oct). Probably worth waiting for since the last iPhone was an incremental upgrade.

VAisForEagleLovers
07-15-2012, 09:18 PM
Soda, I'm grandfathered in with VW with unlimited data so I never pay attention to how it reall worksy, I've never really cared. However I noticed last week when Comcast went down that my phone wouldn't work, either. No internet, no Pirates app, no Facebook, nothing. When I went in and turned off Wifi, then it worked fine off the data signal.

So I'm thinking that if you have a wifi connection, it uses wifi and not the phone data signal. So that would be your house, any hotspot, hotels, etc. If you are out of range of wifi, then it would use the data signal and count towards your usage. I have a Motorola (Android) and how this works may be OS and manufacturer dependent.

I have friends who never go over their AT&T plan limit, but they have the most data allowance they have, and they never ever look at videos and such on YouTube unless they are connected to wifi. They also never use the GPS navigation on their phones, they use the separate Garmin.

You aren't looking at changing to Sprint because your contract isn't up? Sprint still offers unlimited data, I think.

GlennLover
07-15-2012, 09:57 PM
I have an iPhone & I love it! I keep all my appointments on the calendar. I watch videos & search the web a lot. I make sure that I have Wifi on as I was starting to go over my data allowance &. incur charges. Love that I have access to The Border everywhere I go. Even if I am in a spot where Wifi isn't available, I know that I can use 3Get if I really want to. I use the Weight Watcher's app to track my weight. I don't use iTunes on it much as I usually have my iPod with me but, it's there if I don't have the iPod with me. I could use the phone for everything!

I also use the camera quite a bit. It's very convenient to be able to check my Email from anywhere too!

sodascouts
07-16-2012, 12:23 AM
So maybe it would be manageable to get the 250 mb data plan and just use the 3G when WiFi isn't available? I still won't be able to surf the web much but at least I would be able to check email and the like.

EagleLady
07-16-2012, 12:35 AM
I want an Ipad. My Mom has one and she loves it.

VAisForEagleLovers
07-16-2012, 06:41 AM
So maybe it would be manageable to get the 250 mb data plan and just use the 3G when WiFi isn't available? I still won't be able to surf the web much but at least I would be able to check email and the like.

I hate to say it, but one of the biggest things that talked me into a smartphone is that I could no longer see the old phone. I could never read the CallerID and the numbers on the buttons were blurry. I refused to wear reading glasses just to see the thing. So...it all came down to vanity, I guess!

Prettymaid
07-16-2012, 08:07 AM
This is timely, as Hubby and I just switched to at&t last week. I chose an iphone 3g for .99. Hubby would have got one too, but the store only had one left, so he got a Motorola Atrix 2. The salesperson seemed to be trying to talk me out of an iphone. He said the one Hubby got was better than the iphone, but I was determined to get my phone for cheap! It may have been a commission thing with the salesman, I don't know.

Anyway, I went with the 3GB plan for $30.00/mo. Time will tell if that is enough for me (I hope so , because I won't go higher). When I'm not at work, which does not allow me internet access, I'm usually home and can use our wifi. Since I've been on staycation this past week I've obviously been using wifi, but since I go back to work today it will be interesting to see how much of my data plan I use while I'm at work and away from home.

ETA: So far I love my iphone! It's so easy to use, probably since I already own a ipod.

Brooke
07-16-2012, 10:40 AM
I'm old school. I have internet at work and at home and I refuse to pay for it on my phone. I have a Tom Tom and an ipod. I just don't see the need. :shrug:

EagleLady
07-16-2012, 01:20 PM
I've wanted an Iphone for awhile but I already have the Ipod Touch which is basically like an Iphone

GlennLover
07-16-2012, 01:23 PM
I'm old school. I have internet at work and at home and I refuse to pay for it on my phone. I have a Tom Tom and an ipod. I just don't see the need. :shrug:

I guess with me "need" doesn't have a lot to do with it :laugh: My husband says that I am addicted. He's probably right!

sodascouts
07-16-2012, 01:28 PM
My "need" arose when I was traveling and there were many times when I was not near a wireless hotspot. It got pretty frustrating!

GlennLover
07-16-2012, 01:36 PM
My "need" arose when I was traveling and there were many times when I was not near a wireless hotspot. It got pretty frustrating!

Yes, that [I]would [I] be frustrating!

Brooke
07-16-2012, 01:53 PM
I guess with me "need" doesn't have a lot to do with it :laugh: My husband says that I am addicted. He's probably right!

Yeah, I certainly understand that. My son and daughter are addicted to their smart phones. It's actually hard to carry on a conversation with them. They might find a text from someone else more interesting. :machinegun: to their phones! :lol: but not really!.......yeah, really!

sodascouts
07-16-2012, 02:02 PM
There's a new TV series coming out called "Revolution" whose premise is that one day in the not-too-distant future, all power is inextricably turned off.... And stays off for good. No more electrical devices of any kind. I find that horrifying but I think it might hold a certain appeal for many!

Glennsallnighter
07-16-2012, 03:11 PM
I have an iPhone which was free. I pay €45 per month for pretty much all calls, texts and up to 5GB data. Soda! I'm horrified to hear the plan you investigated was so expensive, there has to be a better one out there somewhere.

Obviously if I call or text international or premium numbers there's an extra charge, but that's not bad.

Its true for anyone that if you go abroad roaming costs quite a bit more, but I usually just switch off the data roaming and just access free wifi in hotels or wifi hotspots.

I also pay for 3G on the iPad but it's well worth it to be able to access my email and the Border when I'm stuck in morning traffic etc!

There are two apps worth mentioning here.

Whatsapp allows you to chat wirelessly essentially for free all over the world. Troub and I use it extensively. If anyone here has it and wants to add me to their contact list feel free!

The other is viber. Viber allows you to use your data allowance to call and text. Hubby and I used it to great effect when I was in LA and I didn't have to pay anything more for texts or for a half hour call we had the last night I was there. Well worth it if you travel and can use a hotel wifi. Although the sound on a call is a bit 'tinny'.

Troubadour
07-18-2012, 02:39 PM
Whatsapp is excellent! I know many of us keep in touch on Facebook, as well as here, but if anyone wants my number so that we can IM when necessary, just send me a PM. It's free, no matter where you are. I use it to chat to Jess, Christi and my other friends in Oklahoma a lot, as well as Lisa!

Topkat
07-18-2012, 02:49 PM
I think I'm going to get the Kindle Fire. I know 2 people who have them & totally love them.

sodascouts
07-18-2012, 03:06 PM
Whatsapp is excellent! I know many of us keep in touch on Facebook, as well as here, but if anyone wants my number so that we can IM when necessary, just send me a PM. It's free, no matter where you are. I use it to chat to Jess, Christi and my other friends in Oklahoma a lot, as well as Lisa!

I tried to download that app to chat with Lisa and they told me I had to be in the UK. Maybe I did something wrong?

Troubadour
07-18-2012, 05:59 PM
Strange! I know it can be done because I chat to many Oklahoman friends via WhatsApp. I have sent you an invitation with a link via text message. Hope your number is still the same! Might work.

VAisForEagleLovers
07-18-2012, 09:27 PM
I think I'm going to get the Kindle Fire. I know 2 people who have them & totally love them.

TK, I really like mine!

WalshFan88
10-01-2012, 01:25 PM
I've been using the new iOS 6. Highly recommended. Excellent release. Much faster too and seems to be a lot more stable. I have an iPod touch coming in this month and can't wait.

sodascouts
10-01-2012, 02:06 PM
Except we no longer have the YouTube app, and the new Map function is crap.

VAisForEagleLovers
10-01-2012, 02:11 PM

Apple and Google are at war...

sodascouts
10-01-2012, 02:18 PM
It's like King Kong vs. Godzilla!

Thanks to Apple's issues with Adobe and Google that screw up flash videos, maps, etc, I've decided to get a Droid or something similar when I next upgrade my phone.

VAisForEagleLovers
10-01-2012, 02:28 PM
Uh...I hesitate to say this, but I often have problems with Adobe on my Droid as well. If I'm on a mobile site, it works OK. But the local Channel 4 station's regular site will not show me the interactive radar maps because I don't have 'real' flash on my phone.

What I can't figure out is my printer app. It's by Verizon and I can send all kinds of test pages to both my printers. But I don't know how to print real stuff. I guess I shouldn't digress, talking about my Droid in an Apple thread!

I will say I love my new phone and think the new Samsung commercials are a hoot!

prayfordaylight
10-01-2012, 02:33 PM
Took me 3 tries to get iOS6 to upload on my phone. Crashed it the first time and I lost half my photos/videos. No problems on the iPad. I shouldn't need the maps/directions for a little while so hopefully they'll get rid of some of the bugs by then.

WalshFan88
10-01-2012, 02:34 PM

Google has made a YT app now and I think the new Maps is great from my experience with it but I know in certain areas it doesn't work well but like with anything new it will take a bit to make it "perfect". I do like it's interface a lot better than Google's and now we have turn by turn navigation. Once they get the database figured out it will be a LOT better than Google Maps.

I use an Android for a phone because US Cellular doesn't carry an iPhone. I really like my Galaxy S III - it's a lot better than the POS HTC I had. But it's still not up to par with iOS for me. I'm still waiting for the Jelly Bean update - it's running Ice Cream Sandwich right now.

I've ditched Google services except for one email account I have to have to use an Android but it's empty - I don't use it, and a YouTube account. Other than that I've switched my other stuff (email, contacts, calendar, etc) to iCloud and am much happier. But I use nothing but Apple other than that phone. iMac, MacBook Air, iPod touch, iPad, etc. I'm an Apple lover and always have been. iCloud is great especially if you have more than one iDevice. And it's free unlike MobileMe used to be.

sodascouts
10-01-2012, 03:00 PM
Well, some more news to tilt me in favor of Samsung. I thought I might have a discounted iPhone upgrade through AT&T in October - but it turns out I'd actually have to wait until November for it. I CAN wait, but do I want to?

I resent Google forcing me to link accounts and such, but I also resent the way Apple can limit your usage of functions like flash or take away previous functionality if they ever get in a snit with a partner company. Ugh! I want perfection! lol

VAisForEagleLovers
10-01-2012, 03:05 PM
Once they get the database figured out it will be a LOT better than Google Maps.

Can I ask why you think it'll be better? Various friends are upgrading and are torn between iPhone 5 and the new Android phones. I've been recommending Android based on the navigation system, but I'm not familiar with the maps on iPhone 5, only the previous version. Of course, for those without unlimited data plans, it doesn't really matter, since navigating on either phone for any distance sucks up your data allowance.

WalshFan88
10-01-2012, 03:19 PM
Can I ask why you think it'll be better? Various friends are upgrading and are torn between iPhone 5 and the new Android phones. I've been recommending Android based on the navigation system, but I'm not familiar with the maps on iPhone 5, only the previous version. Of course, for those without unlimited data plans, it doesn't really matter, since navigating on either phone for any distance sucks up your data allowance.

Turn by turn navigation, better UI, less "checkerboarding" (where you move around on the map and it hasn't loaded yet so you see some lines and then it loads), and also a bit faster. I just like it a lot better. I'm just not a big Google fan anymore. I do like some things about Android but as far as Google services I just got tired of them and had some concerns. I guess I'm more partial to Apple. I actually like the closed ecosystem with iOS and more and more even the Mac OS. It's a tight knit community feeling and everything just seems to sync up right and everything works with one another. That's why I'm all Apple now except the phone (which does work great with my iCloud email - where as my old HTC phone didn't for whatever reason).

I've been an Apple fan (or as people say to me - fanboy/cult member/blind follower and all sorts of names) for years. First computer I ever touched was an Apple IIGS. And that's when the bug bit me. I was still in diapers then. :hilarious: And then my school was all Apple too. I got my first computer of my own at 10 which was a Macintosh Performa and then an internet-equipped fruit colored iMac a couple years after that. Then countless iPods and other iMacs. Steve Jobs was a hero and even a god-like person to me. I used to sit at school with my laptop and I'd mute the sound and I'd be streaming the Apple keynotes to my computer so I could see the new products while I was supposed to be paying attention to the teacher. :hilarious::hilarious: And then I've used Apple stuff ever since. I'm well versed on Windows and having repaired them for years know them very well - but for personal use it's always Apple stuff. I am a bit biased but generally also do point out faults. There has been several keynotes in the past that have disappointed me.

I am worried about Apple's long-term future since Steve has passed. He was THE visionary of that stuff. I figure there is probably 5 years of products left that Steve at least saw if not directly oversaw. After that - who knows. I think Tim Cook is doing an ok job but he doesn't have that same connection to the people at the keynotes like Steve had. You can tell he comes from a financial business executive view and not so much the excited view and attitude from Steve.

VAisForEagleLovers
10-01-2012, 04:04 PM
OK, well, mine does turn by turn navigation, with or without voice, and choices of road map or satellite. I've never experienced 'checkerboarding', but perhaps that's network speed issue? I'll mention it to my friend who is trying to decide.

Glennsallnighter
12-04-2012, 10:46 AM
My iPod refuses to sync with my computer (PC). Means I cannot access quite a load of pics and videos. Apparently 'the required filepath is missing'. Any ideas on how to solve this...? Austin....?

TimothyBFan
12-04-2012, 10:48 AM
My iPod refuses to sync with my computer (PC). Means I cannot access quite a load of pics and videos. Apparently 'the required filepath is missing'. Any ideas on how to solve this...? Austin....?

Sorry I can't help you GA but it cracks me up that we all go right to Austin for these things! :hilarious:

Freypower
12-04-2012, 05:39 PM

Have you done a full restore?

WalshFan88
12-04-2012, 06:32 PM

It means that the Folder where it keeps your content (movies, pictures, music) is missing or corrupted. :( Try looking in your personal folder in Windows and looking in the iTunes folder (inside the Music folder). Then open up the Library folder and see if it's there. Then let me know and we'll go from there.

Unfortunately I can't help much remotely. It's not an easy fix... I guess I could try remote access if you think you need it. :)

You could also try reinstalling iTunes (but don't choose to delete personal files).

Glennsallnighter
12-06-2012, 07:16 PM
Sorry Austin! I have no idea what you even mean here!

I don't have anything on the ipod that isn't backed up so I'm gonna try FP's Idea.

WalshFan88
12-06-2012, 07:27 PM
Sorry Austin! I have no idea what you even mean here!

I don't have anything on the ipod that isn't backed up so I'm gonna try FP's Idea.

I think the problem is in iTunes, not the iPod... But we'll see. Generally I recommend only restoring when you know it's not the computer (try syncing to another computer).

Glennsallnighter
12-07-2012, 03:17 AM
Well I restored it to factory settings and it seems to have worked fine. In a way it was a boos idea as there was a lot of junk on it that to be honest I'm glad not to be dragging around with me. I've just put on my Eagles, Don Henley and Glenn :heart: Frey music, videos and pics and left it at that. There's other stuff on my iPhone!

Thanks both FP and Austin for your advice!

WalshFan88
12-07-2012, 05:27 AM
Well I restored it to factory settings and it seems to have worked fine. In a way it was a boos idea as there was a lot of junk on it that to be honest I'm glad not to be dragging around with me. I've just put on my Eagles, Don Henley and Glenn :heart: Frey music, videos and pics and left it at that. There's other stuff on my iPhone!

You're welcome. In the future if it happens again, try the folder thing I mentioned, it might save you from having to resync everything.

Freypower
12-07-2012, 06:18 PM

Wow. So the advice I gave you to restore was correct? Amazing. I'm pleased with myself. :partytime:

Glennsallnighter
03-11-2013, 07:46 PM
I have a lot of photographs on my phone but I cannot access them on the computer to manage them. Some are even duplicates which I have no need for. Any suggestions?

Freypower
03-11-2013, 08:21 PM
I only just found this out when I had to put my photos of Glenn on my computer. When you plug the phone in the removable device folder on the computer should have a folder called DCIM. The photos should be in there. I also found that in my phone settings I needed to have mass storage turned on.

WalshFan88
03-13-2013, 09:38 AM
It's tough when you use a Windows computer with an iDevice. With a Mac, you just plug it in, and organize through iTunes and iPhoto. With Windows, there is a lot more manual stuff. The DCIM folder would be a great place to start. Also, you could use a duplicate file finder for Windows to sort through it all.