PDA

View Full Version : Glenn the axeman!

Redcloud
01-23-2012, 05:02 AM
Check this out if you havent seen it already. California Jam 1974 and Felder was missing as his wife was giving birth. Glenn playing his Les Paul Junior and takes the lead on "Already Gone" as he did on the album "On the Border" before Don Felder had arrived in the band.

I think Glenns guitar playing shines on his solo albums as there has always been others around to take on that role in the band. But its quite a rare glimpse into Glenns ability to play lead.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRQ1qkGxoR0

EaglesKiwi
01-23-2012, 05:09 AM
Oooh, Austin's gonna love this!

Mrs Frey
01-23-2012, 06:37 AM
Woo hoo hoo, my my! This live version ROCKS HARD!!!!! :blueblob:

Thanks for posting this, RC! It had me rocking in my desk chair. :D

Glenn :heart: certainly can PLAY guitar. He does tend to leave the lead guitar work to Joe and Steuart Smith nowadays, because he considers them better guitarists than himself (very humble of him, but there you are), but I remember being very excited to see him play lead on "Witchy Woman" in London in 2008.

Listening to this, I couldn't help missing Don Felder's parts, but Glenn's :heart: solo certainly can stand on its own.

And I have to add that Glenn's :heart: lead vocals are absolutely superb here, and the band is rollicking. Fantastic. One of my favourite Eagles songs. It just shows that a four-piece band can make as big an impact as a larger outfit. This version is, in my opinion, far superior to the (correct me if I got the venue and date wrong here - it's from the top of my head) Houston 1974 version featuring all five Eagles.

Oh, and for good measure, I just wanted to add that I have an identical pair of sunglasses to what Glenn :heart: is wearing here (and it looks like Don is wearing similar sunglasses). :D ;)

WalshFan88
01-23-2012, 06:48 AM
Love that video!

On the recording, Don was called in to play a solo at the same time as Glenn's solo to accompany it. He first did the slide for Good Day In Hell before they asked him to do the solo in Already Gone. You can very easily hear Don's solo in the live videos but it admittedly can be hard to hear on the studio recording but it is there. Once you hear Don play it live you know what to listen for and can hear it a bit easier on the studio track but Don was on the original track. :)

The songs that stick out in my mind where Glenn shines on lead guitar are Already Gone, Witchy Woman, and Get Over It. I love Glenn's simple yet tasteful lead style. Very blues based, similar to Walsh's. Felder always had a more technical "schooled" side to him. I love Felder's playing but I myself as a guitarist gravitate to that simple blues based playing by feel approach rather than the technician approach. But having both types in a band REALLY works well. Lots of great classic rock bands had that combo and it really worked well.

I've said before on here that Glenn is the Keith Richards of the Eagles. He contributes solid rhythm in the background and makes a platform for Walsh and Felder (or now, Walsh and Smith) to do their lead work. But when Glenn does do leads (which is not often), he really does them well. Same with Keith.

Also, FWIW if you are at all a gearhead like me, the gear used on Already Gone (the recording) was a Fender Blackface Deluxe non-reverb amp cranked with the Les Paul Junior. Both Glenn and Don used this amp AFAIK. I believe I have heard Felder say he used a Les Paul Special, which is a two pickup Junior. Glenn's Junior started out with one pickup like the Junior comes with but he modded it for a neck pickup. It is NOT a Les Paul Special as some believe.

Windeagle
01-23-2012, 09:57 AM
Check this out if you havent seen it already. California Jam 1974 and Felder was missing as his wife was giving birth. Glenn playing his Les Paul Junior and takes the lead on "Already Gone" as he did on the album "On the Border" before Don Felder had arrived in the band.

I think Glenns guitar playing shines on his solo albums as there has always been others around to take on that role in the band. But its quite a rare glimpse into Glenns ability to play lead.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRQ1qkGxoR0

I've had this one in my YouTube Favorites list for months now. I still love it. One of my favorite Eagles videos.

There's also one for Take It Easy from the same show floating around somewhere. In addition to Jackson Browne assisting, there are some adorable shots of someone's kid backstage playing this tiny toy guitar. The kid can't be more than 2, but is working the fretboard like a pro. (I say kid because it looks like a girl, but it was 1974 and long hair was in. You never know!) I've often wondered whose kid it was.

HiredHand
01-23-2012, 10:13 AM
Glenn Frey is a very under-rated guitar player. As far as I'm concerned, the guy is phenomenal at both playing and singing. I think probably the most smoothest guitar solo ever is on "I Can't Tell You Why" and that was played by Glenn. Superb!

VAisForEagleLovers
01-23-2012, 10:19 AM
Fantastic video footage for 1974! Of course, the song itself is one of my favorites. I do believe I'll be watching this one quite often.

HiredHand
01-23-2012, 10:24 AM
Fantastic video footage for 1974! Of course, the song itself is one of my favorites. I do believe I'll be watching this one quite often.

I love this footage too. Especially hearing Bernie play the Banjo. Nothing against Felder, Schmit or Walsh, but the original line up will always be my favorite.

timfan
01-23-2012, 11:53 AM
There's also one for Take It Easy from the same show floating around somewhere. In addition to Jackson Browne assisting, there are some adorable shots of someone's kid backstage playing this tiny toy guitar. The kid can't be more than 2, but is working the fretboard like a pro. (I say kid because it looks like a girl, but it was 1974 and long hair was in. You never know!) I've often wondered whose kid it was.

Here's the Take it Easy Video; Kid included and HOW cute is that!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XByaqHhBFqE

Ive always been a dreamer
01-23-2012, 12:50 PM
I love watching both of those videos no matter how many times I see them. Nowadays when I think of Glenn playing lead guitar, I am always reminded of seeing him play I Dreamed There Was No War live at Niagara Falls in 2007. It was simply incredible!

Redcloud
01-23-2012, 02:51 PM
They definitely had better Tee shirts in those days too. Whats with the oriental woman and the shoulder movement on both videos?

Good to see Jackson Browne on Piano on one of the best live versions ive seen of Take it Easy.:yay:

PS. That kid will be over 40 years old now!

Windeagle
01-23-2012, 03:08 PM
I love watching both of those videos no matter how many times I see them. Nowadays when I think of Glenn playing lead guitar, I am always reminded of seeing him play I Dreamed There Was No War live at Niagara Falls in 2007. It was simply incredible!

Whoa! That must've been awesome. That song gives me chills whenever I hear it.

sodascouts
01-23-2012, 03:45 PM

I was thinking the same thing, Dreamer. Oh my gosh, that was intense. He played more lead that night than I've ever seen him do before or since. He's still got it!

Freypower
01-23-2012, 09:54 PM
Like Don's drumming, Glenn is a far better lead guitarist than he seems to think. Check out his slide guitar work on the Christchurch version of Smuggler's Blues for instance.

GlennLover
01-23-2012, 09:59 PM
I love those California Jam clips as well! There is also one of Midnight Flyer where Glenn plays some cool train sounds.

As for the little boy, I have read that it might be Jackson's son. He did have a young son at that time.

Redcloud
01-24-2012, 03:58 AM
Yes he does, Ethan. But not that old i think. That kid would have been born late 60s maybe 1970 ish.

Glennsallnighter
01-24-2012, 04:34 AM
Thanks for posting that video RC. Glenn :heart: certainly plays the guitar so well on it. It's sooo clean and precise. I also filmed him doing lead guitar on Witchy Woman in London at the first LROOE concert and again he rocked it. I'll see if I can find it and post it here.

He certainly is a far better lead guitarist than I think he gives himself credit for!

Mrs Frey
01-24-2012, 06:36 AM
Thanks for adding the "Take It Easy" video, TF! Another super live version of the song.

I love how Glenn :heart: breaks into a smile as the crowd roars with approval when they start the song. :smitten: And I love the interaction between Glenn :heart:, Randy and Bernie.

sodascouts
01-24-2012, 05:32 PM
Like Don's drumming, Glenn is a far better lead guitarist than he seems to think. Check out his slide guitar work on the Christchurch version of Smuggler's Blues for instance.

Yeah, that is hot!

Here's another one from that same tour where he really rocks it:

http://glennfreyonline.com/multimedia/live/SmugglersBluesPittsburgh94.wmv

WARNING TO THE LADIES: Prepare yourself, Glenn is tres sexy here. Of course, I am biased, since this is my favorite look for him. His HFO hair should win awards. ;)

Thanks for adding the "Take It Easy" video, TF! Another super live version of the song.

I love how Glenn :heart: breaks into a smile as the crowd roars with approval when they start the song. :smitten: And I love the interaction between Glenn :heart:, Randy and Bernie.

Glenn told a story one time that back when they were a new band and an opening act, people in the audience would just look clueless about them until they started TIE and then they'd go, "Oh, they're THOSE guys!" lol. My, how things have changed!

Freypower
01-24-2012, 05:36 PM
Yes he does, Ethan. But not that old i think. That kid would have been born late 60s maybe 1970 ish.

Ethan Browne was born in 1973.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jackson_Browne#Personal_life

I thought the kid was one of Felder's.

sodascouts
01-24-2012, 05:40 PM
Nah - in fact, Felder couldn't be there because his wife was giving birth to their kid, actually!

Windeagle
01-24-2012, 07:09 PM
Yeah, that is hot!

WARNING TO THE LADIES: Prepare yourself, Glenn is tres sexy here. Of course, I am biased, since this is my favorite look for him. His HFO hair should win awards. ;)

Oh my. My, oh my. I love a boy that can play the blues. And lookin' that good at the same time? Whoa. <fans self>

Glenn might not think he's that good, but his blues playing rocks. I also love "He Took Advantage" not so much for the lyrics but the hot blues licks.

I only have "Strange Weather" for solo Glenn music. Anyone have any recommendations for other songs where he plays the blues?

Topkat
01-24-2012, 07:09 PM
Loved that Smuggler's Blues video. Do they still do that song live? or has it been dropped from the set? I don't recall hearing it on the later shows after LROOE came out.

Freypower
01-24-2012, 07:13 PM
Loved that Smuggler's Blues video. Do they still do that song live? or has it been dropped from the set? I don't recall hearing it on the later shows after LROOE came out.

They dropped it after the HFO tour, to the great disappointment of Glenn's fans.

Freypower
01-24-2012, 07:15 PM
Oh my. My, oh my. I love a boy that can play the blues. And lookin' that good at the same time? Whoa. <fans self>

Glenn might not think he's that good, but his blues playing rocks. I also love "He Took Advantage" not so much for the lyrics but the hot blues licks.

I only have "Strange Weather" for solo Glenn music. Anyone have any recommendations for other songs where he plays the blues?

He is more into R&B rather than straight blues. I've Been Born Again from No Fun Aloud is quite bluesy.

GlennLover
01-25-2012, 12:16 AM
Ethan Browne was born in 1973.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jackson_Browne#Personal_life

I thought the kid was one of Felder's.

Yes, I looked it up too. Ethan was born in Nov '73 & California Jam was in April '74 so there is no way that it could be him in the video.

Mrs Frey
01-25-2012, 06:38 AM

Glenn told a story one time that back when they were a new band and an opening act, people in the audience would just look clueless about them until they started TIE and then they'd go, "Oh, they're THOSE guys!" lol. My, how things have changed!

I am in agreement, Soda: his HFO hair is very hot! :smitten:

Yes, indeed, things have changed a lot since the early 1970s for the Eagles!

Mrs Frey
01-25-2012, 06:41 AM

Windeagle, I would recommend the whole "No Fun Aloud" album. I find the tracks are laced with blues guitar throughout, even in the beautiful ballad, "I Volunteer". Glenn :heart: just seems to have a natural blues slant in his playing.

01-25-2012, 01:34 PM
Whoa! That must've been awesome. That song gives me chills whenever I hear it.

It was definitely awesome, WE. I'll never forget it. As Soda said, he was so intense when he played it. Again, I don't know anything much about guitar playing, but you gotta have some talent to play the way Glenn did those two nights in Niagara Falls. It was like he was making the guitar talk. I don't know how he did it, but all I know is he was able to 'speak' to me without uttering a single word when he played it. But, it must've been tough for him because at the end of the night he said that his fingers were "screaming" at him.

Now, as far as Glenn's other solo music, I would agree with Mrs. Frey about No Fun Aloud. I love that album and it is a very close second to Strange Weather in terms of which of his solo albums I like best. Actually, all of Glenn's solo albums have quite a bit of R&B influence. There is lots of discussion about all of the band members solo work in the individual "Celebration of" threads if you are interested in fans' opinions. You can also buy most all of the band members' solo albums relatively cheap on sites like Amazon.

And last of all, with respect to whose baby is in the CJ Take It Easy video, I guess it is still a mystery for now. The only Eagle that had children at the time (at least, that we know of :wink: ) was Randy. But his children would have been too old. His twins were born in May 1970, which means they would've been 4 years old at the time.

Scarlet Sun
01-25-2012, 05:23 PM
On the Eagles Live poster, Glenn is playing a Gibson ES-335, I think, onstage. He probably used it to record the I Can't Tell You Why Solo. I wonder what song he's using it for in the photo . . .

Freypower
01-25-2012, 07:45 PM
Another 'bluesy' song recorded by Glenn, as opposed to R&B, is his duet with BB King on BB's 80 album, Drivin' Wheel. Although he only sings one verse he does play some tasty guitar. It appears he played his Sunburst on the song.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v242/ozeagle/Solo%20Years/GlennBBKing.jpg

WalshFan88
01-25-2012, 11:27 PM
I thought I'd discuss gear, in particular Glenn's guitars, amps, effects, etc!

Glenn has always used a Fender non-reverb Blackface Deluxe onstage since I can remember, especially since the late 70s and for sure throughout HFO-to-present day. His pedals are very simple. Usually a couple of delays, a chorus, and a boost for solos. He doesn't need much (compared to Joe, Felder, or Stu) but they work great for him. The last pic of his board had two BOSS DD-3 delays, a BOSS CH-1 chorus, and a BOSS DS-1 distortion for lead boost. He runs his amp kind of broken up and then uses the volume control and the DS-1 for solos.

Where as Joe mainly runs BIG Fender Twin Reverbs and Super Reverbs clean live and uses the pedals for gain (he uses the BOSS OD-3 and OS-2 both on his board and also has been using a Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive recently in place of the OD-3. He used to use the old BOSS HM-2 pedal back in the day and a Ibanez TS-9 as well.) which is the way I personally run my amps, run them clean with little or no breakup and then use pedals for a variety of gain sounds. It makes it easier to cover more range tone-wise and get those sounds from the record. I'm a big stickler for making the live show sound exactly like the record and of course the Eagles with Joe are pretty famous for that too, so that's why you go down the path of using so many pedals to cover more range to nail the sounds from the tracks.

Glenn's rig has always been very simple. Usually a Les Paul (either Standard in Sunburst or Old Black - the modified Junior) or a Telecaster (either brown Sunburst or yellow/natural) through a couple of BOSS pedals into his Blackface non-reverb Fender Deluxe. He did use a Gibson 335 for a short while in the late 70s/early 80s - especially during his solo career. He also used an Gibson SG Junior for a short while in the 70s.

Everyone that is a guitar fan or nerd or player usually has a specific setup when they think of a player. IE, they think of a Strat and a Super Reverb when they think of Stevie Ray Vaughan. When I think of Glenn, I think that Black Gibson Les Paul Junior through that Fender Blackface Deluxe.

When I think of Joe I think of a Sunburst Les Paul through a Fender Blackface Super or Twin Reverb. Joe will always be the Les Paul guy for me even though he has played Fender's heavily (both Strats and Teles). He is the reason I started and the reason I got into Les Pauls so much.

When I think of Felder, I think of a Gibson EDS-1275 through a Fender Blackface Deluxe Reverb or Tweed Deluxe. Felder did play Les Pauls and Stratocasters but that doubleneck 1275 is what I think of when I think of Don Felder or think of the guitar, I think of him.

Redcloud
01-28-2012, 11:32 AM
But I wonder what the love affair with Takamine guitars is? Felder said that Glenn just went ahead and signed the Eagles up to Takamine as a promotional deal when they reformed in 94. 18 years later they still use them when there are far better American guitars available such as Taylor and Martin. But then the Eagles is Glenns band, he put them together and even Henley acknowledges this. So when it comes to making decisions, I suppose Glenn is quite entitled to do that and to be frank, he hasnt done a bad job on the business side either!

01-28-2012, 01:48 PM
... and to be frank, he hasnt done a bad job on the business side either!

You can say that again, RC! Glenn is quite the business man and perhaps the Takemine deal was just that - a good business decision. Although, I assume Glenn (and the other band members) must certainly like the guitars. I can't see them continuing to play them if they believed they weren't up to their standards.

Also, in fairness, I think we should point out that Don is also involved in the business dealings of the band, so we can't give all the credit to Glenn. I believe they try to operate as a partnership and Don always has a word in what goes down - just not the final word.

Redcloud
01-28-2012, 03:54 PM
Well yes, there is a Glenn Frey model Takamine on sale now.

sodascouts
01-28-2012, 05:06 PM
But I wonder what the love affair with Takamine guitars is? Felder said that Glenn just went ahead and signed the Eagles up to Takamine as a promotional deal when they reformed in 94. 18 years later they still use them when there are far better American guitars available such as Taylor and Martin.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that Joe Walsh uses more brands than Takamine onstage. In fact, doesn't Glenn himself use other brands? What about "Old Black"?

Freypower
01-28-2012, 05:20 PM
They play Takamine acoustics. RC will have to correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that was implied. I am not even aware that Takamine make purely electric guitars. They do make acoustic-electric guitars.

http://www.musicianshut.com/about-takamine-guitars

In his book, Felder takes a shot at a 'cheap Japanese guitar' they gave Bill Clinton to sign when Felder thought the guitar should have been American. In my opinion Felder does not come off very well in his description of this (page 280). Whether they should or should not use Japanese guitars is not for someone like me to debate.

In any case they were using Takamines before the split. See page 211 of Heaven & Hell for Felder's charming description of the Takamine he smashed up at 'Wrong Beach'.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v242/ozeagle/Eagles%20in%20the%2070s/CheapJapaneseGuitar.jpg

sodascouts
01-28-2012, 05:36 PM
Oh, OK. Forgive my ignorance in such matters.

Topkat
01-28-2012, 07:41 PM
In his book, Felder takes a shot at a 'cheap Japanese guitar' they gave Bill Clinton to sign when Felder thought the guitar should have been American. In my opinion Felder does not come off very well in his description of this (page 280). Whether they should or should not use Japanese guitars is not for someone like me to debate.

FP I have to agree with Felder in this case. Why give a Japanese guitar to the US President? I agree it should have been an American made guitar. I believe it was a gift to Clinton that the band signed. Felder said that Frey had a deal with Takamine. I'm not sure that deal included the rest of the band. I don't believe I've seen Felder or Walsh play Takamine guitars, but I'm not sure.

Scarlet Sun
01-28-2012, 07:57 PM
FP I have to agree with Felder in this case. Why give a Japanese guitar to the US President? I agree it should have been an American made guitar. I believe it was a gift to Clinton that the band signed. Felder said that Frey had a deal with Takamine. I'm not sure that deal included the rest of the band. I don't believe I've seen Felder or Walsh play Takamine guitars, but I'm not sure.
Is Clinton much of a guitar player? If not, why would they waste a really good one on him? Moreover, theoretically, the case could be made that the gift of a foreign-made guitar could be seen as politically appropriate when considering both the gifters and giftee, but i'm not the one who's going to make that case . . . ;)

I think Glenn played a 12-string Takamine on DKRC

Freypower
01-28-2012, 11:36 PM

If you re-read my post above, Felder specifically refers to the Takamine that he smashed up at Wrong Beach, in his book. Althugh he also says it's the guitar he used on Lyin' Eyes, a song on which I thought he played lead (electric) guitar.

I'm sure I've seen Joe play Takamines but I need to find a photo. I guess when I said 'they' I meant Glenn & Don Henley.

If Felder was so unhappy with having to play Takamines, he could have left the band.

EaglesKiwi
01-29-2012, 04:25 AM
If Felder was so unhappy with having to play Takamines, he could have left the band.
And that statement could have applied to so many of the other things he whinged about in his book.

I would be interested to know why Glenn went with Takamine, he is far too knowledgeable and demanding a musician to have agreed to play anythng inferior, so did they have a different sound to whatever else was around at the time? - bearing in mind the original association dates back quite some time.

Redcloud
01-29-2012, 07:16 AM
Takamine are very good guitars, just not American. So I suppose if the money is right, what the hell! ;)

Joe playing a Takamine

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCpCZNUaE0I&feature=related

chaim
01-29-2012, 09:43 AM
Don Felder was originally brought in to play slide and later Joe Walsh seemed to be the "slide king" in the Eagles. But when I saw one particular concert DVD (the one where it's raining throughout the gig), it was Glenn's slide work in "Smuggler's blues" that sent shivers down the spine. Some of my favourite Eagles slide work was played by Glenn in Midnight Flyer. I'm not saying that Glenn is a better slide player than Don and Joe. He isn't. But I find it interesting that he liked to play slide before Felder arrived. Earlybird, Midnight Flyer, Is It True?...But once Felder joined, he never played slide again. I guess when Glenn really put his mind to it and allowed himself a few takes in the studio, he could play great stuff (like we can hear in ICTYW, for instance), but those two other guys could give a rather good performance anytime. Glenn has said that, in terms of playing, he and Don Henley took more time in the studio than the other guys.

01-29-2012, 02:53 PM
As I said earlier, I also think Glenn is a superb guitarist. This is nothing more than my humble opinion, but it seems to me that his main interest is not in being a guitarist. I don't know this, but my observation is that Glenn is the type of person that has to really concentrate on what he's doing when he is performing live. He doesn't want to have to focus so hard on just one thing. I believe that part of the reason he wanted Joe and Felder in the band was to take on the heavy duty guitar playing so that he could focus on other things. Another thought is I'm not sure when his rheumotoid arthritis first flared up, but it could have been at a very early age. In any event, that obviously affects his dexterity and ability (and probably desire) to play.

Glennsallnighter
01-29-2012, 04:33 PM
Well yes, there is a Glenn Frey model Takamine on sale now.

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t236/Irisheaglesfan/Takamine1.jpg

Couldn't resist the opportunity to post mine!

sodascouts
01-29-2012, 04:34 PM
Ah, lovely!

Topkat
01-29-2012, 04:48 PM
Scarlet Sun

Is Clinton much of a guitar player? If not, why would they waste a really good one on him? Moreover, theoretically, the case could be made that the gift of a foreign-made guitar could be seen as politically appropriate when considering both the gifters and giftee, but i'm not the one who's going to make that case . . .

Are you even kidding me here??? Waste a really good guitar on him??? This is the PRESIDENT of the United States... It was a signed guitar as a gift, not for him to play.. In fact this move was very politically incorrect as the US is in the crap hole due to people buying cheap stuff from Japan & China. Don't even get me started on this one.... If Frey was Japanese, it would be a political gesture, but this is an American band.They could certainly afford to give the President an American made guitar...Would have been more appropriate. This move was tacky..:ack:

Freypower
01-29-2012, 04:50 PM
I thought the idea that Japanese made goods are 'cheap' was discredited long ago, but I won't say more than that. I see your point, TK, but I am sure Glenn's motives were honourable. Why should they give Clinton a guitar they didn't even play? They played Takamines. It is a souvenir of them, not some statement about America versus Japan.

VAisForEagleLovers
01-29-2012, 05:01 PM
I thought the idea that Japanese made goods are 'cheap' was discredited long ago, but I won't say more than that. I see your point, TK, but I am sure Glenn's motives were honourable. Why should they give Clinton a guitar they didn't even play? They played Takamines. It is a souvenir of them, not some statement about America versus Japan.

I agree with you, FP. Clinton is enough of a musician to appreciate being given a guitar that they actually play, if not one actually played during a concert. Being given a signed acoustic in a brand they don't use would be too impersonal if not insulting. It was personal gift (as personal as a gift from a band and not individuals can be), not a political statement. Felder and Joe might use different acoustic brands, but they were played too infrequently to be counted.

Topkat
01-29-2012, 05:04 PM

FP; It's not a statement about Japan. It's supporting American made products. They most certainly play Gibson, Fender, Taylor & other guitar brands. American manufacturers are going out of business left & right, by other countries producing cheaper products, & paying slave labor & having kids in their factories.

I don't think the rest of the band has a promotional deal with Takamine. Normally endorsement deals are done on an individual basis. Various guitar players in other bands have endorsements with several guitar companies.
I'm sure Glenn didn't mean to make a political statement & his intentions were good, but to Felder & others it was just tacky.

sodascouts
01-29-2012, 05:06 PM
Very good point, FP. I know I would be much more interested in getting a guitar from the Eagles that they actually play rather than one they didn't play purely for the sake of political correctness. And I too believe that if the guitars sucked, Glenn would not play them, much less personally endorse them. He is hardly so desperate for money that he would put his name on crap. Far from it!

Scarlet Sun
01-29-2012, 06:33 PM
Scarlet Sun

Are you even kidding me here??? Waste a really good guitar on him??? This is the PRESIDENT of the United States... It was a signed guitar as a gift, not for him to play.. In fact this move was very politically incorrect as the US is in the crap hole due to people buying cheap stuff from Japan & China. Don't even get me started on this one.... If Frey was Japanese, it would be a political gesture, but this is an American band.They could certainly afford to give the President an American made guitar...Would have been more appropriate. This move was tacky..:ack:

Right, but we're talking about the Eagles and Bill Clinton here

Topkat
01-29-2012, 06:39 PM
Well, they certainly play other guitars besides Takamine. I have seen them play 6 or 7 different guitars in one show. They aren't all Takamine. I've even seen Felder play about 15 different guitars on the Christchurch video.

Like I said, I don't think Glenn was trying to make any kind of statement with the guitar, I just wish he would have supported an American company.
Just my opinion, but I see I am in the minority on this one. I certainly don't want to argue this. I'm only saying that I could see Don Felder's point on this.

VAisForEagleLovers
01-29-2012, 08:14 PM
Well, they certainly play other guitars besides Takamine. I have seen them play 6 or 7 different guitars in one show. They aren't all Takamine. I've even seen Felder play about 15 different guitars on the Christchurch video.

Like I said, I don't think Glenn was trying to make any kind of statement with the guitar, I just wish he would have supported an American company.
Just my opinion, but I see I am in the minority on this one. I certainly don't want to argue this. I'm only saying that I could see Don Felder's point on this.

Well, to give him an electric guitar (to support the 15 guitars Felder played per show) would not be good unless it came with an amp and then it just gets messy. The point I was trying to make is that the Takamine is the acoustic guitar played the majority of the time on stage, as far as I can see.

GlennLover
01-29-2012, 08:43 PM
I can see both sides of the argument & I agree that it was better to give him a guitar that they actually played. JMHO

Redcloud
01-30-2012, 04:50 AM
I can see both sides of the argument & I agree that it was better to give him a guitar that they actually played. JMHO

Well they can give me any guitar they like but American guitars are the best for playing.

On that California Jam footage its amazing how Glenn plays the riff throughout the song whilst singing! That is not easy to do.

EaglesKiwi
01-30-2012, 05:26 AM
I'm sure Glenn didn't mean to make a political statement & his intentions were good, but to Felder & others it was just tacky.
Perhaps Felder didn't consider any aspect other than the material value and potential political connotations of the gift.
For all we know, the Takamine could be played on Clinton's favourite Eagles song!

I wholeheartedly agree that I would prefer something they played - with personal meaning - rather than Felder's suggestion of a custom-made Gibson with the Eagles logo inlaid. That, to me, sounds tacky.

Topkat
01-30-2012, 09:03 AM
Well, to give him an electric guitar (to support the 15 guitars Felder played per show) would not be good unless it came with an amp and then it just gets messy. The point I was trying to make is that the Takamine is the acoustic guitar played the majority of the time on stage, as far as I can see.

An electric guitar could have been given. I don't expect that Bill Clinton would actually be playing this guitar. People have autographed guitars as mementos & hang them on the wall in the office. Do you really think Clinton is actually playing this guitar???:rofl::rofl: I really doubt it.

Glennsallnighter
01-30-2012, 09:49 AM
I guess we'll never know TK! I mean he COULD play it an odd time to relax, but just doesn't want the fact to be public! I mean lots of my colleagues wouldn't know that I play (a bit) at home! But I suppose a guitar is a fitting present for a rock band to give to anyone, same as an Artist would give a painting, an Author would give a book, or a sports star would give something associated with the sport!

sodascouts
01-30-2012, 03:07 PM
I must admit that if I received a signed guitar from the Eagles, I would be hesitant to actually play it. What if I dinged it up? Some things are too precious for everyday use. Of course, Clinton might not be as reverential towards such a gift, lol.

VAisForEagleLovers
01-30-2012, 03:21 PM
I wonder if it's something he has in one of his homes, or if it's at his Presidential Library?

Freypower
01-30-2012, 05:36 PM
Surely it was a private gift and surely it was not meant to actually be played.

They gave Prince Albert & Princess Charlene of Monaco a signed Takamine last year as well.

WalshFan88
01-31-2012, 03:14 AM
I hadn't had time to post my .02 cents in yet but have time tonight.

I see it from both ways... Felder is right - Taylors, Martins, etc are better made guitars than Takamines, Alvarez, Yamaha, etc etc etc no doubt. They also sound better I think, but the sound is subjective but the quality is not. But they aren't bad guitars, but they aren't all that great either. I've never played one I liked. One of the ones I did try had horrible quality control, a bridge plate that was pulling up, etc etc. The others that played ok still did not sound the best. I'm sure the guitars the Eagles are getting are going to have much more quality control - so they are playable onstage.

I also see what people are saying - Fmr. President Clinton (to my knowledge) does not play (or at least very seriously) AND it makes sense to gift something they actually USE rather than to go out and buy a top of the line Martin or something with all the bells and whistles. I think that makes the most sense.

I do personally prefer Taylor acoustics myself - they are great guitars and definitely are better made than Tak's. And you can get all Taylor models at various price points - you don't have to spend $3,000 on one (like I did, but it was worth it and still worth every penny to me today). Everything from a Parlor student guitar to a exotic wood dreadnought and everything in between. Martin acoustics are also great but I prefer the brighter tone of the Taylor to the deeper tone of a Martin or Gibson acoustic. I like a janglier acoustic sound.

What I find interesting is that in Felder's book he talked about the night where Frey and Felder were getting into it and Felder told his roadie to set the guitar outside for him to smash, and he did just that. It was a Takamine acoustic guitar. Frey saw that, and said and I quote "Typical of you to break your cheapest f*cking guitar", as if Frey himself was admitting they were not that much value or quality, especially compared to Felder's Gibson and Fender (USA) guitars. But maybe it's just me but I find that rather interesting and something I don't think many have thought of.

I think a lot of the reason they play Takamine is the endorsement deal for the band was pretty good, plus the royalties (if that's the right word) from the signature model as well for Frey. I don't think they'd play a POS guitar that would affect the quality of their performances, but I also don't think they are going to go for the best, the endorsement $$$$ plays a big part in the artist's choice of stage instruments. They may use one thing on stage (in public view) and something better in the studio or offstage. SOOOO many artists do this. They say they and even may use such and such gear onstage or in the public eye but prefer to use something else, something better everywhere else but play those models onstage for the money. It's happened a lot in the industry. Another thing that is common with amplifiers is that you will see a certain brand of amps onstage with the lights on and mic'd and looking like they are in use but behind the stage are the amps they are REALLY using and what you are hearing and they basically have those other amps onstage to look as if they are using them. Again, endorsement deals and money. I know off hand several guys who do this but I wont name names. ;) :D

Redcloud
01-31-2012, 04:10 AM
There is one other aspect we havent covered here. I am aware of an English artist called Rod Clements (Ex Lindisfarne) who uses cheaper versions of guitars (Squire) because on tour guitars get hammered and worn. Maybe Takamines are more hardwearing but i hardly think that the Eagles would worry about that. Maybe Takamines are more durable and can take the pace better and still sound good. But if so, why isnt everyone using them?

Glennsallnighter
01-31-2012, 06:00 AM
I must admit that if I received a signed guitar from the Eagles, I would be hesitant to actually play it. What if I dinged it up? Some things are too precious for everyday use. Of course, Clinton might not be as reverential towards such a gift, lol.

I don't really play the black Tak that they have all signed at all because Joes sig is just where my forearm goes and the end of it began to rub off slightly. I mean to investigate getting the sigs lacquered.Its a display model for me!! But as Glenn :heart:'s sig is on a label INSIDE the blonde Tak I can play away at it and theres no damage. Guitars are sturdy enough and once it isn't dropped from a height or deliberately bashed I can't see them being damaged too much from play at home. Of course outside it could be different. I have insured both of them but I rarely take them out.

Topkat
01-31-2012, 04:39 PM
If you have an autographed guitar & you treasure those autographs or someday want to sell it...don't play it. Even autographs signed with a Sharpie will smudge if you use it. I had tried to play one & it did slightly smudge the signature, well that ended my guitar playing! LOL

sodascouts
01-31-2012, 04:39 PM
There is one other aspect we havent covered here. I am aware of an English artist called Rod Clements (Ex Lindisfarne) who uses cheaper versions of guitars (Squire) because on tour guitars get hammered and worn. Maybe Takamines are more hardwearing but i hardly think that the Eagles would worry about that.

I agree. I don't think wear and tear on the guitars is a deciding factor in the brand.

Maybe Takamines are more durable and can take the pace better and still sound good. But if so, why isnt everyone using them?For the same reason that everyone doesn't use the brands you prefer. Personal preference is, by its very nature, subjective.

I know I have never had a problem with the guitar sound of the Eagles when seeing them live.

Topkat
02-02-2012, 07:26 PM
Every guitar has a different sound. I guess the Takamine suits Glenn's style & his parts in the songs. Some guitar players change guitars for different songs, but some have been using the same guitar since the 70's. I see Keith Richards has a particular guitar he's been using for years, because the color on the wood is so worn off, & you can see it in old concert footage.

I doubt a player would be using a cheaper guitar for a concert for durability purposes. The sound on the Squire is very different than the Strat. It's a very personal thing. I think some players get very attached to a particular guitar & stick with it. They also always have back up guitars at concerts in case they pop a string or something, so there are usually 2 of each kind of guitar on hand. I also think that some of them are tuned slightly differently for certain songs, ( I may be mistaken on that one.)8-)

Like I said, I think the Takamine endorsement is only with Glenn, not with the Eagles as a band, per say. If he likes that guitar & wants to endorse it, I don't have a problem with that, but apparently Felder doesn't care much for the Takamine & didn't want to give one to Bill...

Freypower
02-02-2012, 07:46 PM
There is a great deal in Felder's book, of which this is a good example, written years after the event, when he claims he was unhappy with virtually everything the band did. Nevertheless he went along with it at the time. I hate to sound cynical but a great deal of that book was a series of digs at Glenn; regarding the Takamine deal, Felder refers to Glenn 'smiling inanely' in a promotion for it. That, in my opinion, is just a petty personal dig. That has nothing to do with whether Felder liked or disliked Takamines.

In any case, it happened, regardless of Felder's misgivings, and regardless of who the Takamine endorsement was with (Glenn or the whole band).

Topkat
02-02-2012, 07:57 PM
Well, I believe there is a Glenn Frey signature guitar made by Takamine, not an "Eagles" guitar, so to me that says the deal is with Glenn & not the band.

It is also not unusual for different band members to endorse different guitars. It's a business deal. Who knows, maybe Felder was jealous that he didn't have an endorsement deal. It's just one of the many disagreements going on with them.

sodascouts
02-03-2012, 03:54 PM
BTW, just for the curious, here are the instrument credits for Glenn Frey from his solo albums; I've isolated these to his contributions for the sake of our thread's topic.

I should also note that I removed Glenn's credits for his background vocals and arrangements to focus on the instrument credits - again, for the sake of keeping the thread on-topic.

(Note: The formatting is somewhat inconsistent because I just copied and pasted these from the liner notes as listed on GFO (http://www.glennfreyonline.com/).)

As you can see, he plays guitar on almost every song from his solo catalog.

NO FUN ALOUD
I Found Somebody
Lead Guitar and Organ: G.F

The One You Love
Guitars, Electric Piano & Bass: G.F.

Partytown
Lead Guitar and Piano: G.F.

I Volunteer
Lead Guitar: G.F.

I've Been Born Again
Guitars and Electronic Piano: G.F.

That Girl
Electric Piano: G.F.

All Those Lies
Lead Guitar and Electric Piano: G. F.

She Can't Let Go
All instruments except percussion: G.F.

Don't Give Up
Guitars, Clavinet, Synthesizers: G.F.

THE ALLNIGHTER
The Allnighter
Electric Guitars & Electric Piano: GLENN FREY

Sexy Girl
Bass & Electric Guitar: GLENN FREY

I Got Love
Guitars: DUNCAN CAMERON, GLENN FREY

Somebody Else
Electric Guitar: GLENN FREY

Lover's Moon
Acoustic Guitar, Bass & Organ: GLENN FREY

Smuggler's Blues
Synthesizer, Electric & Slide Guitar: GLENN FREY

Better in the U.S.A.
Piano: BARRY BECKETT, GLENN FREY
Electric Guitar: DUNCAN CAMERON, GLENN FREY

Living in Darkness
Electric Guitar: GLENN FREY

New Love
Electric Piano & Celeste: GLENN FREY
SOUL SEARCHIN'
Livin' Right
Bass: Glenn Frey
Keyboards: Glenn Frey and Hawk Wolinski
Guitar: Glenn Frey
Percussion: Glenn Frey and Steve Forman

Some Kind of Blue
Drums: John Robinson and Glenn Frey
Guitar: Glenn Frey and Michael Landau
Keyboards: Glenn Frey and Ron Skies
Percussion: Glenn Frey

True Love
Drums: Glenn Frey
Keyboards: Glenn Frey, Barry Beckett and Robbie Buchanan

Can't Put Out This Fire
Keyboards: Glenn Frey and Steve Thoma and Ron Skies
Percussion: Steve Forman and Glenn Frey

I Did It For Your Love
Keyboards: Glenn Frey, Hawk Wolinski and Ron Skies

Let's Pretend We're Still in Love
Guitar: Glenn Frey and Michael Landau

Working Man
Drums: Glenn Frey
Guitar: Glenn FreY
Keyboards: Glenn Frey, Hawk Wolinski, Steve Thoma and Ron Skies

Soul Searchin'
Keyboards: Glenn Frey, Barry Beckett, Steve Nathan and Steve Thoma

Two Hearts
Guitar: Glenn Frey, Paul Jackson, Jr.† and Bruce Gaitsch

STRANGE WEATHER
In the liner notes, this is stated at the outset:

All instruments played and programmed by Glenn Frey and Jay Oliver.

The exceptions as listed as the following (although, oddly, there is a separate credit for Glenn for his acoustic guitar on "Part of Me, "Part of You":

Horns: The Heart Attack Horns
Baritone Sax: Greg Smith
Tenor Sax: Bill Bergman
Trumpet: John Berry
Trumpet: Roy Wiegand

Sax solo on "River of Dreams": Al Garth
Sax solo on "I've Got Mine": Chris Mostert
Additional percussion: Lenny Castro
Additional keyboards: Robby Kilgore
Additional programming: Mike Harlow

Band Credits for "Part of Me, Part of You":
Drums: Kenny Aronoff
Bass: Jerry Scheff
Guitar: Mark Goldenberg
Organ: Ben Tench
Piano: Scott Thurston
Acoustic Guitar: Glenn Frey
Additional Keyboards: Jay Oliver

THE SOLO COLLECTION
This Way to Happiness
Guitars: Glenn Frey and Danny Grenier

Who's Been Sleepin' in My Bed
Guitars: Glenn Frey

Common Ground
Keys: Jay Oliver and Glenn Frey

Call on Me

====================================

All of this to say that if you like what you hear from these instruments on these albums... well, it's Mr. Frey who's playing 'em. He is quite the axeman... with other talents besides!

sodascouts
02-03-2012, 04:45 PM
Now, let's contrast the above with the Eagles.

While there's no specific song credits on Eagles, Desperado, or Long Road Out of Eden, there are specific credits on the rest of the albums, and they're below.

When you look at them, you can see the way Glenn handed over most of the lead guitarwork and other instruments to his bandmates. I've only listed his credits, but the rest of the band's guitarists - Leadon, Felder and Walsh - are readily and often credited for their guitarwork and other instruments. (That's why I find it hilarious that some would accuse Glenn of trying to steal credit on ICTYW, that he falsely claimed to play it in the studio when it was actually Felder. Felder is credited on a ton of songs! Why would Glenn want to "steal" credit for that one song?)

ON THE BORDER
Already Gone
Solo Guitars: Glenn & Don Felder

Midnight Flyer
Slide Guitar: Glenn

Is It True
Slide Guitar: Glenn

ONE OF THESE NIGHTS
Too Many Hands
Lead Guitars: Don Felder & Glenn Frey

Hollywood Waltz
Harmonium: Glenn Frey

HOTEL CALIFORNIA
Life in the Fast Lane
Clavinet: Glenn Frey

Wasted Time
Piano: Glenn Frey

Pretty Maids All in a Row
Synthesizer: Joe Walsh & Glenn Frey

Try and Love Again
Lead guitar: Glenn Frey

THE LONG RUN
I Can't Tell You Why
Guitar solos by GLENN FREY

King of Hollywood
First guitar solo by GLENN FREY

Teenage Jail
Synthesizer solo by GLENN FREY
=================================

I think maybe one reason he played so much on his solo albums was because he wasn't given much of a chance to shine as a guitarist in the Eagles, especially once Felder and Walsh joined. I mean, it's understandable that it would go down that way - that's why these guys were brought in, after all - but perhaps he missed it a bit.

BTW, laying it out like this shows why Glenn jokes about the bass players liking his guitar. The songs he plays lead on are Randy's and Tim's - apparently at their behest. Interesting! Perhaps it's because they were looking for a less showy, subtler lead guitar part.

Any thoughts?

Windeagle
02-03-2012, 05:27 PM
Now, let's contrast the above with the Eagles.

BTW, laying it out like this shows why Glenn jokes about the bass players liking his guitar. The songs he plays lead on are Randy's and Tim's - apparently at their behest. Interesting! Perhaps it's because they were looking for a less showy, subtler lead guitar part.

Any thoughts?

I'm guessing that as bass players, they have more of a rhythmic connection to Glenn, the traditional rhythm guitarist, than they do to the lead players. They probably have to coordinate more with Glenn musically onstage, so maybe they feel more comfortable with him. Consider the standard stage setup. Glenn always stands closest to the bassists.

Just a hunch.

Freypower
02-03-2012, 05:32 PM
I go along with that; I would just add that he was the Eagles' rhythm guitarist & he was happy with that. Just as he was apparently happy later in the band's history to only do one lead vocal per album (I am not commenting further on what I think of that). I have no idea why he played lead on the bass players' songs (but I wrote this before I read Windeagle's post which makes sense to me).

I think the credit for POMPOY is because of the different personnel (hence 'band credit') because it had been previously recorded for the Thelma & Louise soundtrack.

The lack of credits for LROOE still annoy me. I think Glenn mainly plays acoustic guitar on that album. I don't even know if he plays any keyboards, although he is credited, just as Don is credited with drums.

Do you notice how much BASS he plays on the Soul Searchin' album! I wonder why that was?

And another item of interest: the only time the faithful Danny Grenier has played on one of Glenn's records is on TWTH.

Another question will be: will he be playing any instruments on After Hours?

Windeagle
02-03-2012, 05:43 PM
Do you notice how much BASS he plays on the Soul Searchin' album! I wonder why that was?

Was Soul Searchin' recorded at his home studio? If so, maybe he was playing bass because he could work on the record at his leisure, laying down tracks and overdubbing as time and energy permitted.

Also, wasn't he going through some health issues at the time? Maybe it was a do-it-yourself record because it had to be.

Of course, if it wasn't recorded at his own studio, this theory goes out the window! :)

Freypower
02-03-2012, 05:50 PM
According to the credits it was recorded at a whole stack of studios. He hadn't built his Mad Dog studios in Colorado or LA then.

These are the liner notes from GFO:

Recorded at Fool On The Hill, Studio 55, Bil Schnee Studio, Ocean Way Recording, Cherokee Studios and Capitol Studios, Los Angeles; The Hit Factory and Automated Sound, New York; Muscle Shoals Sound, Muscle Shoals, AL; The Sandbox, CT

chaim
02-03-2012, 05:58 PM
I think that Glenn played all the harmony guitars in One Of The Nights, the song. In some very old interview I read years and years ago, Don Felder talked about the song and said something like "After Glenn does the introduction..." (talking about guitars). I believe Glenn did all the harmony guitars in the choruses too. Even if you haven't read that old interview with Felder, here's a clue, I think: Why did Glenn and Don play the OFTN harmony parts (intro and choruses) live and not Don and Joe? Because at least Bernie didn't play any of them in the studio. It's not Felder and Bernie, like I think some people believe. And if Felder had played them all, wouldn't it be more likely that he would have asked Joe to play them with him live, and not Glenn?
Don Felder likes to tell the story of Randy being caught in a snow storm and him coming up with the bassline he later taught Randy, and that he basically arranged the song. But what he, once again, fails to mention is that Glenn played those harmony guitars that everyone remembers about the song. Another essential part Glenn doesn't get the credit for, and he doesn't seek for it.
I have absolutely nothing to back this up, but I think that it's Glenn doing those harmony guitars in Too Many Hands too.
And let's not forget that the whole groove of The Long Run is pretty much based on Glenn's rhythm guitar. Even Don Henley said so. Called it "the foundation". "Always that foundation", he said about Glenn.

As for bass...Are we sure that all those bass parts in his solo songs are a real bass guitar? Some of them sound like a synth bass to me.

sodascouts
02-03-2012, 06:59 PM
All I have to go by are the album credits, so I'm of little help identifying synth bass, part distinctions, and the like.

I love how some Borderers are able to dissect these parts. It's very interesting to read!

FP - I'm wondering how much he'll play on After Hours as well. I understand if he doesn't play as much, but he's so talented that I'll miss it.

As for Danny Grenier - it's true he's only on one studio track, but let's not forget that he was prominent on Live in Dublin.

Freypower
02-03-2012, 08:05 PM
All I have to go by are the album credits, so I'm of little help identifying synth bass, part distinctions, and the like.

I love how some Borderers are able to dissect these parts. It's very interesting to read!

FP - I'm wondering how much he'll play on After Hours as well. I understand if he doesn't play as much, but he's so talented that I'll miss it.

As for Danny Grenier - it's true he's only on one studio track, but let's not forget that he was prominent on Live in Dublin.

OOPS! Yes, of course Danny in on the live album! :blush: It was great to finally see him, by the way.

I am hoping that After Hours will be more about showcasing Glenn's vocals. I thought the fact that he didn't play an instrument at Fallsview on those songs was significant.

WalshFan88
02-03-2012, 08:48 PM
Interesting that he played on all of his solo stuff - didn't know that!

And yeah Danny Grenier is a great sideman and great player. Love his playing on the Dublin DVD.

Topkat
02-03-2012, 10:28 PM
After reading these last few posts I am just wondering why you feel it necessary to list every single guitar part that Glenn has played? He plays guitar in every show, so I don't really see it necessary to defend Glenn's guitar playing & go into every single thing he plays on every song....I'm just curious as to why some of you need to point out every single thing he has done in the Eagles. I don't think anyone has challenged the fact that Glenn can play guitar....Is it really all that important to you who is credited for each thing? Maybe it's just me, but I usually hardly read the credits for the songs.
I think I can pretty much tell who's playing...but even then, it's not that important to me. I consider them a band, & the song as a collaboration of all of them.
Just wondering why the "credit" is so important????:spin:

Scarlet Sun
02-03-2012, 10:34 PM
As far as i'm concerned, it's just fun to know

sodascouts
02-03-2012, 11:05 PM
I introduced my post as "for the curious" - ie, it's for those who care to know such things. You see, since this is a thread entitled "Glenn the axeman," I figured many of the people reading it might actually be among those who want to know what he exactly he played guitar on.

Obviously, Topkat, you are not one of those people. That's fine, but don't begrudge those of us who are - especially in a thread dedicated to his guitar playing. :)

Shadowland07
02-04-2012, 01:49 AM
It is interesting to see or listen to how much guitar work Glenn played in the Eagles. He did a lot of lead work before OOTN. "Witchy Woman", "Earlybird", "Tryin", "Take the Devil", "Out of Control", "Certain Kind of Fool", "Already Gone", "Midnight Flyer, he did play the solo at the end of "On the Border", and "Is it True". I love his solos, not sure why but I do. I wish he played more lead but it's great that he is a multi-insturmentalist.

chaim
02-04-2012, 02:59 AM
After reading these last few posts I am just wondering why you feel it necessary to list every single guitar part that Glenn has played? He plays guitar in every show, so I don't really see it necessary to defend Glenn's guitar playing & go into every single thing he plays on every song....I'm just curious as to why some of you need to point out every single thing he has done in the Eagles. I don't think anyone has challenged the fact that Glenn can play guitar....Is it really all that important to you who is credited for each thing? Maybe it's just me, but I usually hardly read the credits for the songs.
I think I can pretty much tell who's playing...but even then, it's not that important to me. I consider them a band, & the song as a collaboration of all of them.
Just wondering why the "credit" is so important????:spin:

A good point. My point (or one of them) was that Don Felder likes to tell people that he made One Of These Nights what it is, because he wrote the basslines. And if he opens the door to that stuff, I think it's ok to point out that Glenn did some distinctive stuff in that song too (the harmonized guitar bits). Especially when we know how much Don likes to emphasize all the bad stuff about Glenn these days.
Also, Joe's and Don's guitar parts are so often praised that I don't think it's wrong to remind that Glenn did this and may have done that guitar part that is very distinctive. And, as we know, Don Felder is praised for the ICTYW solos, and in his book he decided to keep that myth alive by cleverly telling about his guitar playing in the song without mentioning (just a mistake, I'm sure) that he's only talking about the RHYTHM parts. So I see nothing wrong in "defending" Glenn's guitar playing in the midst of all the Don Felder and Joe praising, especially when some of that praising is going to the wrong address. A lot of people simply don't know that Glenn played this or that and praise other people (Bernie, Don or Joe) even for those parts.

Windeagle
02-04-2012, 08:39 AM
Personally, I'm just interested in who played what and how the songs are put together. I love picking the songs apart to see how they work and to appreciate how the parts go together to make something that sound so good as a whole. It's not about getting or assigning credit for me. It's just curiosity.

chaim
02-04-2012, 09:04 AM
Personally, I'm just interested in who played what and how the songs are put together. I love picking the songs apart to see how they work and to appreciate how the parts go together to make something that sound so good as a whole. It's not about getting or assigning credit for me. It's just curiosity.

I think it's perfectly understandable to be interested in who-played-what stuff. Personally I'm a big KISS fan, as I believe I have said before, and KISS fans always talk about who played what on KISS albums. Stanley and especially Simmons always say that who plays the instruments is beside the point, but Gene will sometimes mention that "I played rhythm guitars on this" and Paul will say, "I played bass on that" and KISS fans love to receive that information. And there are also KISS fans who offer the classic "who cares who played what??" comment, but if some people are interested in this stuff (and a LOT of people are), they should be able to talk about it and share information and thoughts. With Eagles there isn't as much mystery in this area, but still there are some cases where everything is not that clear.

Topkat
02-04-2012, 09:21 AM
Sorry, I didn't mean to offend anyone in here. I guess it's just something that isn't that important to me. I don't get it, :headscratch: but carry on.....I will dismiss myself from this thread

02-04-2012, 01:12 PM
I am also one of those that is curious about song credits - not because I want to praise one band member over another, but because I find it interesting to see how they function as a band in putting songs together. In the case of solo work, I like to know who helped and what instruments the artist played. I am one that is disappointed with the lack of credit information on Long Road Out of Eden.

I don't really care about credits from the standpoint of Person A did more than Person B, but I do think it's appropriate to try to set the record straight when there is misinformation or misunderstanding. We fans can speculate forever about such stuff, but the only factual information we have is what the credits say or what the artists themselves say, and sometimes that is not even totally reliable.

Freypower
02-04-2012, 05:54 PM
My two cents is that this thread hasn't really been about 'defending' Glenn's guitar playing but more about factual information on what he plays, and I have found it very interesting to read. I agree with chaim's comments above, however. As with his songwriting, Glenn is often not given sufficient credit for his guitar work.

EaglesKiwi
02-05-2012, 04:51 AM
I have found it fascinating to read through the last few pages. I remember asking my husband a couple of years ago about how much guitar Glenn played - his comment was "you'd miss it if it wasn't there" (i.e. mostly rhythm parts). Of course I've learnt a lot over the last year (thanks to the Border!), but I'm still eager to find out more about the music I love.

Re: the bass players' songs: I think their voices are better suited to understated guitar, and I think Glenn "got" that.

chaim
02-05-2012, 05:02 AM
Glenn obviously has the ability to sit down and think of great, flowing melodies for guitar solos, and that may have fascinated Randy and Tim. But, Don Felder obviously was amazing at that too (After The Thrill Is Gone, for example), so I don't know...
Incidentally, it has started to bother me that I'm always referred to as "chaim" :D Well, at least I'd like people to know my real name too...I'm often "Chaim" in the internet, because that's Gene Simmons's original name, Chaim Witz. So from now on I think I'll be adding my real first name to my posts, so people at least have the choice to call me by my real name if they like!

-Toni-

Glennsallnighter
02-05-2012, 05:48 AM
Thanks that sharing your name with us Toni! Just in case you are interested we have a few threads where you can introduce yourself and tell us a bit more about yourself. Only if you wish to do so. I know some people like to remain fairly anonymous on Internet boards.

This is our names thread
https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2980

We also have our 'New Kid In Town' forum where you can introduce yourself and say as little or as much as you feel comfortable with.
https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=19

Or if you'd like to tell us how you got 'into' the Eagles you can try this one.

https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/showthread.php?t=311

chaim
02-05-2012, 06:28 AM
Thanks, I'll check those out. I always tend to skip those "introduce yourself" threads in every forum!
Back to Glenn's guitar playing...I remember saying most of the things I wrote in this thread before and I remember saying the following comment before in some thread, but I'll say it again: I really love Glenn's licks in Too Many Hands. I'm not 100% sure (only 99% sure) which one is Don F and which one Glenn, but I really love those lead bits that I'm pretty sure are Glenn. Especially at the end, where the two are "trading licks". Glenn's licks sound like they were well thought out. I play guitar (although since my teenage years I haven't been that interested in, or capable of, playing lead) and I remember sitting down years ago with a guitar in my hands and learning Glenn's licks by ear. I'm not much of a lead player, but everyone says that my "ear" is amazing and I'm very good at learning all kinds of stuff by ear. And still, there's one lick that Glenn does that made me go, "How the h*** did he play that???". I still don't know how he played that one lick, actually. As far as I know it's very unorthodox. But then again, most of the lead stuff he did in that song, is not part of the "rock guitar clichés" book. In his solo songs Glenn's more bluesy phrases are often pretty ordinary and he tends to play certain things, but in Too Many Hands he did some pretty weird stuff! :guitar:
There are some people in this forum who REALLY know all this musician stuff and I'm waiting for them to come and say "actually what he did was pretty basic"!

Windeagle
02-05-2012, 09:16 AM
I've liked the Eagles for years, but it's only been recently that I've started paying attention to the details like technique. Listening more closely, watching the DVDs and reading background notes from The Border and other sources has started me thinking about the source of Glenn's unique style.

I'll issue a disclaimer here that I quite possibly don't know what I'm talking about and real guitarists may laugh, but here goes. Glenn seems to have a slow, bluesy style, no doubt influenced by time spent in both Detroit and Memphis. He's mentioned a love of Muscle Shoals as well. One thing I've also noticed is that he doesn't often fingerpick. I'm sure he can, but he usually plays with a guitar pick. This would tend to make his leads more "linear", if you will. There's also a slight staccato effect. Notes start and stop, however briefly, though ICTYW and his slide work are exceptions to this.

I've often wondered if elements of his style might be influenced by him being a left-hander playing right-handed. His strumming right hand would not be as dexterous as some of his right-handed peers, perhaps resulting in the reliance on guitar picks and a less flashy, more thoughtful feel to his leads. The stronger left hand on the fretboard, however, might give him more reach and access to a wider variety of chords.

All just speculation, of course, but thought I'd throw it out there for discussion.

VAisForEagleLovers
02-05-2012, 10:31 AM
WE, I was just getting ready to post the same thing about him being left-handed and playing right-handed. As a lefty myself, I know how right handed people can take so much for granted. I've never seriously tried to play guitar, which I'll always regret, but it was because I was left handed and no one in my little town could teach me unless I played right-handed, and I couldn't manage it. I stuck with the piano. The fact that Glenn plays guitar so well while being left-handed has always earned him a lot of respect from me. A lot of people are born with talent, and he certainly was. But it takes a lot of work to get to the level he's on, and exponentially more work to get there as a left-handed person playing right-handed.

Windeagle
02-05-2012, 11:42 AM
Good point, VA. I'm a righty married to a lefty and the subject of one vs. the other comes up a lot. My husband had the same problem as you when he tried to learn guitar and, like you, went with piano instead.

sodascouts
02-05-2012, 02:09 PM
Thanks for sharing your name, Toni!

As for his left-handedness, I hadn't really given much thought to how that has affected his playing but it really is amazing when you think about it. I know I can't summon that kind of precision out of my left hand. Even more props to Glenn!

Topkat
02-06-2012, 01:49 AM
I didn't know Glenn was left handed. They do have left handed guitars, so I wonder why he never played one.

VAisForEagleLovers
02-06-2012, 10:33 AM
I didn't know Glenn was left handed. They do have left handed guitars, so I wonder why he never played one.

If it's like everything else for lefties back then, they were double or triple the price, of inferior quality, and had a poor selection.

Topkat
02-06-2012, 10:39 AM
I don't know that much about it, but I heard some guitar players restring the guitar backwards to play lefty.

Windeagle
02-06-2012, 10:41 AM
If it's like everything else for lefties back then, they were double or triple the price, of inferior quality, and had a poor selection.

I can see a couple more advantages of learning to play right-handed, if you could manage it. First, you're not limited to playing your own guitar. You can play any guitar you pick up.

And also, it looks cooler if the guitar army is all facing in the same direction. And we know looking cool meant something to Mr. Frey in the early days. ;)

VAisForEagleLovers
02-06-2012, 10:53 AM
I can't remember the long list of things my mother and I were told. I'm so non-technical with guitars I'll sound like an idiot, but I seem to remember that the 'things' that tighten the strings needed to be changed as well. And of course, any 'decor' on the guitar, like the 'swoosh'-like thing at the bottom of most guitars would be on the top and look ridiculous.

Considering the mindset back then, I was lucky to grow up with a family and go to a school that encouraged left-handers to be left handed and not force them to do everything right handed. That encouragement stopped at guitars, golf, and arm-wrestling.

Topkat
02-06-2012, 11:15 AM
Glenn is one of many left handed guitarist, some play right-handed, but many play lefty;
Who's cooler than Jimi Hendrix?

http://www.gibson.com/en-us/Lifestyle/Features/10-great-left-handed-guitarist/

Topkat
02-06-2012, 11:19 AM
Here are some lefty's that play right handed;
Apparently it's not that uncommon;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_musicians_who_play_left-handed

chaim
02-06-2012, 11:25 AM
Didn't know that Glenn was left-handed either. I certainly wouldn't rule out the "cool" factor, when it comes to playing right-handed. It's Glenn after all - the only person on this planet who could perhaps occasionally touch Dean Martin in coolness.
Or maybe he couldn't get the kind of guitar he wanted, got bored with trying and decided to get on with it and learn to play right-handed.
Interesting. I wonder if Glenn has ever been asked about this. Not that it's an important issue, but I certainly think it would be a more interesting question at this point than "Why did the Eagles break up in the early eighties?".

Windeagle
02-06-2012, 11:40 AM
Didn't know that Glenn was left-handed either. I certainly wouldn't rule out the "cool" factor, when it comes to playing right-handed. It's Glenn after all - the only person on this planet who could perhaps occasionally touch Dean Martin in coolness.
Or maybe he couldn't get the kind of guitar he wanted, got bored with trying and decided to get on with it and learn to play right-handed.
Interesting. I wonder if Glenn has ever been asked about this. Not that it's an important issue, but I certainly think it would be a more interesting question at this point than "Why did the Eagles break up in the early eighties?".

I've thought of that as one of the questions I'd like to ask him. It's a two-parter. "Why didn't you go the Paul McCartney or Hendrix route and play it left-handed and how do you think that choice has influenced your style?"

sodascouts
02-06-2012, 12:29 PM
My mother is left-handed and she was forced to learn how to write right-handed in elementary school. She does so to this day. She says she's grateful because it taught her to be ambidextrous, but I'm sure it was hard on her back in the day. Plus, she does everything else left-handed, ambidextrous or not.

While there are a couple exceptions, I think as a rule left-handed guitars were perceived as "less cool" and downright odd-looking by some people. As has been said, at that time, such a thing mattered to Glenn! And back in the day, price was an issue as well. As Topkat pointed out, he is not the only lefty who chose to go this route - so did B.B. King, for example - so there must be good reasons for it. Obviously, it's more difficult, but Glenn seems the type of guy who confronts difficulty head-on.

Topkat
02-06-2012, 12:48 PM
I think it was probably more about what was available to him at the time, because they had very little when they first started out, as is probably the case with many of these guitar players. I doubt it was the"coolness factor"
Hendrix played lefty & I think he was pretty cool. McCartney also played lefty.

I think these guys picked up guitars that were available & learned to play. I don't think many of them even took lessons, just a natural talent that they had & started playing pretty young. Felder said he played on some crappy thing he bought dirt cheap with no strings on it & he put strings on himself.
There were probably few lefty guitars & were probably more expensive especially back then.

Windeagle
02-06-2012, 02:32 PM
I think it was probably more about what was available to him at the time, because they had very little when they first started out, as is probably the case with many of these guitar players. I doubt it was the"coolness factor"
Hendrix played lefty & I think he was pretty cool. McCartney also played lefty.

I think these guys picked up guitars that were available & learned to play. I don't think many of them even took lessons, just a natural talent that they had & started playing pretty young. Felder said he played on some crappy thing he bought dirt cheap with no strings on it & he put strings on himself.
There were probably few lefty guitars & were probably more expensive especially back then.

Good point. If he didn't take formal guitar lessons, he probably learned from whoever was around to teach him and maybe never even thought about doing it differently from his peers. If it took longer to learn a lick, then maybe it was just taking longer and he needed to practice harder.

As Soda said, he doesn't seem the type to shy away from a challenge, especially if there was female motivation involved. He's said himself that one of the reasons he took up guitar in the first place was for the girls.

EaglesKiwi
02-06-2012, 03:19 PM
Perhaps also the "dream" guitars were all for right-handers? if Glenn had aspired to a top model (& I'm guessing the boy had ambition right from the outset :rockguitar:), that might have been an influence.

Topkat
02-07-2012, 09:02 AM
We can really only guess why Glenn plays right handed, but I agree this would be a fantastic question for an interviewer to ask him. Something different than the normal questions he is asked over & over.:rockguitar:

Glennsallnighter
02-08-2012, 01:13 PM
Sometimes left handed people just adapt to the right handed default too. My brother is left handed when he writes but does everything else including playing golf fight handed. Maybe that's how Glenn :heart: just naturally took to the instrument.

UndertheWire
12-16-2015, 05:22 PM
This doesn't mean much to me, but maybe it will to guitar players:

In the past couple of years I have been turned onto Eddie Hinton (http://www.swampland.com/articles/view/swampland/59). Can you tell me something about him as an artist?

...He did so much for so many guitar players by sort of pioneering the parallel fourth. He taught Glen Frey how to do that and then The Eagles had a hit on the song called “I Found Somebody To Love.” You can go back and listen to that song and see if it doesn’t sound like Eddie Hinton playing guitar. That is because Eddie had showed him the parallel fourth.

source (http://swampland.com/articles/view/title:scott_boyer_on_cowboy_the_decoys_and_a_lifet ime_of_southern_music)

Freypower
12-16-2015, 05:40 PM
Leaving aside the glaring error about I Found Somebody it doens't surprise me that Hinton was heavily involved with the Muscle Shoals/soul sound Glenn loves so much. I think I have read Glenn referencing him.

ldoss73
04-15-2019, 09:54 PM
I saw a pic of Glenn's rig, and it did have two DD-s delays on it. One of them was outlined in green tape, leading me to believe it was probably set for maybe one tune. Any ideas what his delay setting were set to? or what tune(s) the outlined delay pedal was used on?

I thought I'd discuss gear, in particular Glenn's guitars, amps, effects, etc!

Glenn has always used a Fender non-reverb Blackface Deluxe onstage since I can remember, especially since the late 70s and for sure throughout HFO-to-present day. His pedals are very simple. Usually a couple of delays, a chorus, and a boost for solos. He doesn't need much (compared to Joe, Felder, or Stu) but they work great for him. The last pic of his board had two BOSS DD-3 delays, a BOSS CH-1 chorus, and a BOSS DS-1 distortion for lead boost. He runs his amp kind of broken up and then uses the volume control and the DS-1 for solos.

Where as Joe mainly runs BIG Fender Twin Reverbs and Super Reverbs clean live and uses the pedals for gain (he uses the BOSS OD-3 and OS-2 both on his board and also has been using a Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive recently in place of the OD-3. He used to use the old BOSS HM-2 pedal back in the day and a Ibanez TS-9 as well.) which is the way I personally run my amps, run them clean with little or no breakup and then use pedals for a variety of gain sounds. It makes it easier to cover more range tone-wise and get those sounds from the record. I'm a big stickler for making the live show sound exactly like the record and of course the Eagles with Joe are pretty famous for that too, so that's why you go down the path of using so many pedals to cover more range to nail the sounds from the tracks.

Glenn's rig has always been very simple. Usually a Les Paul (either Standard in Sunburst or Old Black - the modified Junior) or a Telecaster (either brown Sunburst or yellow/natural) through a couple of BOSS pedals into his Blackface non-reverb Fender Deluxe. He did use a Gibson 335 for a short while in the late 70s/early 80s - especially during his solo career. He also used an Gibson SG Junior for a short while in the 70s.

Everyone that is a guitar fan or nerd or player usually has a specific setup when they think of a player. IE, they think of a Strat and a Super Reverb when they think of Stevie Ray Vaughan. When I think of Glenn, I think that Black Gibson Les Paul Junior through that Fender Blackface Deluxe.

When I think of Joe I think of a Sunburst Les Paul through a Fender Blackface Super or Twin Reverb. Joe will always be the Les Paul guy for me even though he has played Fender's heavily (both Strats and Teles). He is the reason I started and the reason I got into Les Pauls so much.

When I think of Felder, I think of a Gibson EDS-1275 through a Fender Blackface Deluxe Reverb or Tweed Deluxe. Felder did play Les Pauls and Stratocasters but that doubleneck 1275 is what I think of when I think of Don Felder or think of the guitar, I think of him.

WalshFan88
04-16-2019, 08:34 PM
I saw a pic of Glenn's rig, and it did have two DD-s delays on it. One of them was outlined in green tape, leading me to believe it was probably set for maybe one tune. Any ideas what his delay setting were set to? or what tune(s) the outlined delay pedal was used on?

I'm not sure, ldoss.

I would definitely think that one of them or both are song specific.

When I think of Glenn's guitar tone I don't hear a lot of delay there. Maybe his part on OOTN, but that's about it.

MarthaJo56
04-16-2019, 10:55 PM
Sometimes left handed people just adapt to the right handed default too. My brother is left handed when he writes but does everything else including playing golf fight handed. Maybe that's how Glenn :heart: just naturally took to the instrument.

My late ex-husband was left-handed. He played right-handed. He told me it was because he is self-taught and all the books were for right-handed people. He also said some left-handed guitar players will play the guitar upside down or string the guitar to adapt.

New Kid In Town
04-17-2019, 06:32 AM
Years ago I had read somewhere that Glenn had to learn the guitar right-handed because either there were no left handed guitars or they were too expensive for his parents. I also vaguely remember reading somewhere he strung his guitar "backwards". However, it was long ago and I would not bet my bank account on it-lol.
I do know that back in the 60's the world was not as "left-handed friendly" as it is now. I had an uncle(RIP) who, back in the day, was forced to become right handed in school.

CAinOH
04-17-2019, 08:28 AM
I do know that back in the 60's the world was not as "left-handed friendly" as it is now. I had an uncle(RIP) who, back in the day, was forced to become right handed in school.

Same with my grandmother. My Dad is left-handed as well, and I remember he and my Mom taking me to kindergarten orientation (a one-on-one with the teacher) and telling her that I was left-handed and she was in no way to try to change that. Of course the attitudes were much different (over half a century ago, ouch! but the sixties) than when my grandmother grew up.

Pippinwhite
04-17-2019, 01:24 PM
My sister is a lefty and plays guitar right-handed. She said that's just what felt natural to her. I guess it just varies by person.

shunlvswx
04-18-2019, 10:38 AM
I'm a lefty myself. Luckily I wasn't forced to write right-handed since I grew up in the 80s and 90s, but those freaking right handed desk was a problem. LOL Either give me a full or have more left-handed desk instead of one. LOL

Anyway. I would love to one day learn how to play the guitar. My late uncle used to have a guitar and I remembered for years it was stuck in a closet at my grandma's house. I wonder if its still in there over 25 years later.

WalshFan88
04-18-2019, 02:34 PM
Back in the day it was very hard to get left handed guitars.

So you either had to learn right handed or flip the guitar upside down and either play it with the strings backwards or restring it like you would a lefty guitar.

Great example of that would be Jimi Hendrix's Stratocaster he used at Woodstock. Right handed typical Strat for the time, upside down but strung lefty.