PDA

View Full Version : Glenn Frey Song Survivor: The Solo Collection

Pages : [1] 2

sodascouts
01-23-2012, 09:00 PM
Time for Glenn Frey Solo Song Survivor, where we vote off Glenn’s songs from The Solo Collection until we get to the last one standing!

If you're new, for a basic overview of the game, see this post: Survivor Overview (https://eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/showpost.php?p=6551&postcount=7)

I'm going to list the songs from The Solo Collection here. Vote for the song that you feel should be eliminated from the list. The song that gets the most votes will be taken off of the list (or, in the language of Survivor, "Voted off of the island.") Each round, one more song will get axed, until there's only one left. Remember: you're voting for the song you want taken off, not the song you want to stay.

Note: Do not criticize how/why other people vote. Their reasons are their own and they are free to vote however they like. Also, never attack a fellow poster. You can disagree about a certain song without making it personal. Sometimes these games can get heated, but remember.. it's still just a game.

Each round will last 48 hours after posting to give people a chance to vote who don't post every day. That means that the first round will be over at 8:00 Eastern time the day after tomorrow. Any votes cast on or after 8:00 Eastern the second day will not be counted. If you're going to wait 'til the last minute, be sure you leave yourself enough time to hit "submit"!

If you miss a round, don't think you can't play. It's all good!

Since there may be discussion posts, be sure to make it clear when you are casting your vote. Votes cannot be changed once you have voted, even if you make a mistake - so be sure you get it right the first time!

If you get confused about what round we are in, look at this post. I'll always update it to reflect the current round. Also feel free to post any questions if you don't understand what's going on.

If there is a tiebreaker, then ALL votes from ALL previous rounds are tallied and whoever has the most prior votes is eliminated. That’s the way it’s done on the real show, that’s the way it’s done here. If there is a complete tie with prior votes (Murphy’s Law), then I'll have a sudden-death trivia question ready. The first person who answers it correctly gets to break the tie. The odds of that happening are slim, but you never know, and it's good to be prepared.

The tie-breaker question will be asked one hour after results are in, if there is need for it. The exception is the last round. If the tie-breaker does not resolve the last round, then the tie will be allowed to stand.

============================

The game is over, and the winner is....

PART OF ME, PART OF YOU!!!

Songs eliminated:
Sexy Girl 1/25
Common Ground 1/27
Who's Been Sleeping in My Bed 1/29
Call on Me 1/31
The Heat is On 2/02
This Way to Happiness 2/04
Soul Searchin' 2/06
Brave New World 2/08
I've Got Mine 2/10
True Love 2/12
The One You Love 2/14
River of Dreams 2/16
Smuggler's Blues 2/18
You Belong to the City 2/20

If you don't have it, you can get it online - it's out of print, but you can buy it at a reasonable price from resellers.
Here's some from Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Solo-Collection-Glenn-Frey/dp/B000002OVP/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1326693930&sr=8-1

sodascouts
01-23-2012, 09:02 PM
Since I may or may not have internet at home, I'm going to go ahead and vote now.

I cast my vote for Sexy Girl.

This song is unworthy of its place on this CD! It's repetitive and, frankly, I find its lyrics rather insipid. The only part I like is the bridge where he sings "I look into her eyes, but then I realize I'm holding on to a dream" - his voice sounds great there and it's a nice melodic turn - but that little bit is not enough to save it.

I won't be so harsh with the other songs - this is the only song on the CD that I just don't care for. I sure hope it goes first!

WalshFan88
01-23-2012, 09:24 PM
I also vote for Sexy Girl. It's too repetitive and just is kind of meh songwriting wise.

VAisForEagleLovers
01-23-2012, 09:43 PM
I don't see how I could possibly vote for any of them to disappear. Hmm. I guess I'll follow Soda and Austin on this one.

I vote for Sexy Girl, since he had the nerve to record it when he wasn't my neighbor.

Freypower
01-23-2012, 09:51 PM
I'm looking forward to this game!

The first elimination is easy, however. Sexy Girl is not up to Glenn's standard. For a while there I think he was treated very harshly by critics because of it. I don't think it's as bad as I used to think, however.

Windeagle
01-23-2012, 11:15 PM
Being relatively new to Glenn's solo work, I'm going to sit this Survivor out. I'm still going to follow the thread though to get an introduction to Glenn's music from those who know it best.

The Disco Strangler
01-23-2012, 11:25 PM
I'm also new to Glenn's stuff. Some I've heard, some I haven't. No voting from me 'cause I'd be voting off songs I haven't even heard, which is not fair to Glenn.

Can I say one thing, though? I love Part of Me, Part of You. :blueblob: And I am going to get his greatest hits CD. I love his voice.

Edit: PS, love your av, SodaScouts.

Koala
01-24-2012, 12:05 AM
I cast my vote for Sexy Girl, too!

Glennsallnighter
01-24-2012, 04:44 AM
Yes well, in terms of it's lyrics SG would be a light weight compared to some of the other work which Glenn :heart: has put forth both before and after it. I guess the plan was to make it appeal to the masses! However I am a little sentimental about it simply because it's the song that introduces me to Glenn :heart: as a solo performer way back in 1984. I also have some memories of being reminded of that as I sat in an SUV back last August having finally hooked up with Soda and co in Toronto after 24 hours of travelling. We were listening to one of her famous Glenn :heart: medleys!
However, nostalgia aside....... I dont thing SG stands up musically or lyrically the same as Glenn:heart: s other work in this album so IMHO, it's gotta go!

I vote off Sexy Girl too!

It's gonna get a LOT tougher after this!!

Mrs Frey
01-24-2012, 06:20 AM
Oh, okay then, if we really have to vote for one! ;)
I cast my vote for "Sexy Girl".

It's not my favourite Glenn :heart: song, but I must admit that I love the quality of his voice on the record.

Wildthyme
01-24-2012, 07:04 AM
This first vote is the easiest because I don't like this song, period...My vote this round for elimination goes to Sexy Girl. After this I have no idea how I am going to pick :ack:

Glennhoney
01-24-2012, 08:47 AM
I can vote off "Sexy Girl"....but after that, I have no idea what can be voted off......:nervous:

Henley Honey
01-24-2012, 09:16 AM
Looks as if this may be a unanimous decision. I vote for: Sexy Girl.

sodascouts
01-24-2012, 12:19 PM
I also have some memories of being reminded of that as I sat in an SUV back last August having finally hooked up with Soda and co in Toronto after 24 hours of travelling. We were listening to one of her famous Glenn :heart: medleys!

My Glenn Frey iPod playlist, which basically includes everything he ever did that's available to the public from The Mushrooms onwards and my favorite live tracks besides, is over 12 hours long - and before that weekend was through we played the whole thing! Ah, how I love my gadget that lets me play my iPod over the car speakers!

Looks like my wish is going to come true re: Sexy Girl going first. It truly sticks out like a sore thumb among these tracks as the only subpar song (IMHO).

BTW, thanks for the compliment on the avatar, DS!

timfan
01-24-2012, 01:15 PM
I cast my vote for Sexy Girl

Brooke
01-24-2012, 02:11 PM
I vote for Sexy Girl too.

After this, it's gonna be hard! :hmm:

GlennLover
01-24-2012, 04:14 PM
I'll have to vote Sexy Girl too. I do like it, but I agree that it doesn't stand up to the other songs on the album. It is rather sexist & Glenn himself admitted in the early '90s that it wasn't politically correct.

TimothyBFan
01-25-2012, 09:52 AM
I actually thought that maybe I wouldn't be the odd man out in this game of Survivor but looks like I was wrong again. Tho, Sexy Girl is no where at the very top of my list, it's not at the bottom either. Yeah, the video is stalker like and all but I really don't mind the song that much.

I'm really going to be interested to see what others that are definitely more qualified and knowledgeable on all things Glenn than I am has to say about some of these songs. Like my first vote. I gotta tell you, the first time I heard this song, I didn't like it. It's a song that just doesn't seem to be suited for his voice.

I vote for Common Ground.

Glennsallnighter
01-25-2012, 10:03 AM
Are we making songs immune in this game Soda?

Topkat
01-25-2012, 12:03 PM
I need to refresh my memory on some of these songs, so until I listen again, I won't be voting, at least for this round.

sodascouts
01-25-2012, 12:41 PM
Are we making songs immune in this game Soda?

Nah, immunity is more trouble than it's worth. I got tired of people getting all upset when a song they didn't like was protected. I personally think immunity is fun because it makes the game less predictable, but I don't think it's fun to listen to a bunch of complaining. Thus, I decided to stop doing it.

Glennsallnighter
01-25-2012, 03:46 PM
Yes. I must say I liked the immunity too and we used it in the last SC survivor. But I can totally see where you are coming from Soda. I wonder if it will effect the results in any way compared to the last game?

sodascouts
01-25-2012, 06:28 PM
It will be interesting to see!

sodascouts
01-25-2012, 06:44 PM
BTW if anyone hasn't seen the Sexy Girl video and is wondering about the "stalker" reference, here it is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4thy1QqIW0

While the peeping tom aspect is kind of icky, I love the beginning where Glenn is having "songwriter's block." He looks so cute messing around with the piano and surrounded by his array of beers, coffee cups, and soda. ;) Plus, the end where he gets all dolled up and puts on his rockin' sunglasses only to be denied is hilarious.

Ive always been a dreamer
01-25-2012, 07:28 PM
My guess is that the only rounds that may be somewhat affected by the lack of immunity questions are the middle rounds. I’d be very surprised if it affects the final outcome. I liked the immunity questions too, but I agree the downside outweighs the advantages for now. Besides I like the fact that as we recycle these games that we are playing one game with immunity and the other without it for each game.

And Willie – As we always say, it is our differences that keep things interesting around here. And I’m gonna have to really disagree with you about Common Ground. :wink: I absolutely love the song, and consider it one of Glenn’s finest vocal performances. The music, melody, lyrics, and vocals are all superb, IMHO.

As far as Sexy Girl, while I don’t think the song is as bad as some of you, I do agree that it should be the first to go in this game. I actually like the verses and love the bridge in the song – it’s just the unmelodic repetitive verses that bring it down for me. I think the video for the song is really cute and it actually makes the song more enjoyable for me, but, of course, we’re not voting on the video here. In any event, I was going to vote for Sexy Girl if the vote had remained unanimous, but now I’ll vote strategically instead. I’ll probably ruffle Soda’s feathers with this, but …

I cast my vote for Brave New World.

Freypower
01-25-2012, 07:41 PM
Dreamer, well said about Common Ground. I could not agree more.

whitcap
01-25-2012, 08:28 PM
Sexy Girl is one of my favorites.

I vote for the heat is on.

UK TimFan
01-25-2012, 08:36 PM

sodascouts
01-25-2012, 09:00 PM
The first song to be eliminated from Glenn’s Solo Collection Survivor is Sexy Girl. “Sexy Girl,” the neighborhood has overwhelmingly voted you off the island. It's time for you to go. The remaining songs may return to camp.

Votes
Sexy Girl - 13
Common Ground - 2
The Heat Is On - 1
Brave New World – 1

Vote Breakdown
Sexy Girl – sodascouts
Sexy Girl - WalshFan88
Sexy Girl - VAisForEagleLovers
Sexy Girl - Freypower
Sexy Girl - Koala
Sexy Girl - Glennsallnighter
Sexy Girl - Mrs Frey
Sexy Girl - Wildthyme
Sexy Girl - Glennhoney
Sexy Girl - Henley Honey
Sexy Girl - timfan
Sexy Girl - Brooke
Sexy Girl - GlennLover
Common Ground - TimothyBFan
Common Ground - UK TimFan
Brave New World - Ive always been a dreamer
The Heat Is On - whitcap

Songs eliminated:
Sexy Girl 1/25

Songs remaining:
This Way to Happiness
Who's Been Sleeping in My Bed
Common Ground
Call on Me
The One You Love
Smuggler's Blues
The Heat Is On
You Belong to the City
True Love
Soul Searchin'
Part of Me, Part of You
I've Got Mine
River of Dreams
Brave New World

Voting for Round 2 begins now!

sodascouts
01-25-2012, 09:04 PM
I have to disagree with Dreamer. I think "Brave New World" is exciting and dramatic; it also has a passionate vocal. I mean, we're talking apocalypse! This is intense stuff!

All the songs left are good. However, as nice as the sentiment of "Common Ground" is, I find it a bit less interesting than the others. Plus, if you want a stellar vocal from the collection's new songs, try "This Way to Happiness." To me, that's the one where his voice really shines.

I cast my vote for Common Ground.

sodascouts
01-25-2012, 09:15 PM
OK, I found "Brave New World" on YouTube. I'll tell you why I like it. First, there's that driving opening, and the sense of building drama that goes all through the verses. The chorus, which begins with "Don't worry darlin'" (the first example of which is at 1:17) is beauty and comfort amidst the chaos. For our guitar aficionados: The guitar solo at 3:05 is hot, IMHO. As far as vocals go, listen to how he tears into the phrase "BRAVE new world!" at 4:30. The song ending with a prominent piano part starting about 5:30, the other instruments slowly fading or dropping away entirely, finishes off that cinematic feel... like now they've picked up the pieces and are walking off into the sunset to face their future as the credits roll.

Awesomeness!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70U7KW1HcWg

The Shakespeare reference doesn't hurt, either. ;)

whitcap
01-25-2012, 09:17 PM
Common Thread - TimothyBFan
Common Thread - UK TimFan

I don't think that's right :hilarious:

sodascouts
01-25-2012, 09:21 PM
Yes, these Tim fans obviously stand on Common Ground in more ways than one! ;)

ETA: Oh wait... I get it now. :blush:

timfan
01-25-2012, 10:33 PM
I always find these "best of" Survivors the hardest cause all the songs are AWESOME!

Reluctantly I cast my vote for Common Ground

Koala
01-26-2012, 12:45 AM

Mrs Frey
01-26-2012, 06:23 AM

WalshFan88
01-26-2012, 06:47 AM
Common Ground

TimothyBFan
01-26-2012, 08:02 AM
As for immunity -I really miss those and find it very sad that a few people have made it come to this but oh well.

I noticed the wholeTim Fan thing also. :lol: Great minds!

I guess I wasn't to far off about Common Ground after seeing how many votes it's getting so far this round. BTW, I agree about Brave New World-I had frgotten how much I liked it till I pulled out the Cd again for this game.

Brooke
01-26-2012, 11:13 AM
I vote for Common Ground too. It's next on my list. I like it, just not as much as the rest.

01-26-2012, 12:34 PM
Wow - I am really surprised and sad about all the votes for Common Ground. There's probably not much need to try to save the song at this point. I just love this song and I really thought it would outlast Call On Me, Whose Been Sleeping In My Bed, and maybe even Brave New World. Don't get me wrong, I like all of those too, but I've said this before, Common Ground one of those songs that I think is so good that I can't figure out why everyone doesn't love it as much as I do. But as they say 'different strokes'. :weep:

Glennsallnighter
01-26-2012, 12:57 PM
OK, I found "Brave New World" on YouTube. I'll tell you why I like it. First, there's that driving opening, and the sense of building drama that goes all through the verses. The chorus, which begins with "Don't worry darlin'" (the first example of which is at 1:17) is beauty and comfort amidst the chaos. For our guitar aficionados: The guitar solo at 3:05 is hot, IMHO. As far as vocals go, listen to how he tears into the phrase "BRAVE new world!" at 4:30. The song ending with a prominent piano part starting about 5:30, the other instruments slowly fading or dropping away entirely, finishes off that cinematic feel... like now they've picked up the pieces and are walking off into the sunset to face their future as the credits roll.

Awesomeness!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70U7KW1HcWg

The Shakespeare reference doesn't hurt, either. ;)

You beat me to it Soda! I too think BNW is a brilliant song, and it is one of my favourite of all Glenn :heart: 's solo efforts. I find the music incredibly powerful throughout the song, as well as the imagery. From the start I can sense the impending disaster and doom. Then the gentle reassurance that he will look after her. I LOVE 'you will always be my girl......' it makes me swoon every time I hear it!

It also mirrors the current economic climate in Ireland. Myself and my 'car mate' we're listening to it a while ago and just felt that the lines

'Everything that we worked for they took from our hands..... '

are soooo appropriate. We hand back half our salary each week in taxes and levies and then pay more charges out of the balance!

But then Glenn :heart: reassures me that it will all be over soon and to remember that I will always be his girl. Ok. I can live with that!

Anyway I guess what I'm saying (between all the ranting) is that I really love this song and won't be voting it off just yet!

Problem is............. I love them all!

Windeagle
01-26-2012, 03:01 PM
It also mirrors the current economic climate in Ireland. Myself and my 'car mate' we're listening to it a while ago and just felt that the lines

'Everything that we worked for they took from our hands..... '

are soooo appropriate. We hand back half our salary each week in taxes and levies and then pay more charges out of the balance!

But then Glenn :heart: reassures me that it will all be over soon and to remember that I will always be his girl. Ok. I can live with that!

Anyway I guess what I'm saying (between all the ranting) is that I really love this song and won't be voting it off just yet!

Problem is............. I love them all!

Funny you should mention that, GA. I was just thinking about the song in relation to the whole "Occupy" movement in the US recently. The same line came to mind. Funny how a 20-year-old song can still be so relevant.

sodascouts
01-26-2012, 03:27 PM
Glad to hear other folks praising BNW. I hope it makes it far!

Freypower
01-26-2012, 06:57 PM
I have no idea why there are so many votes for Common Ground. It's an incredibly uplifting song. I can't understand why others don't see that. Oh well. My vote will not count so I will save the song I did want to vote for and vote for The Heat Is On.

sodascouts
01-26-2012, 07:29 PM
I have no idea why there are so many votes for Common Ground. It's an incredibly uplifting song. I can't understand why others don't see that.

As I said in a prior post, I appreciate the sentiment. It is indeed uplifting. However, it takes more than a nice message to elevate a song over the likes of BNW. JMHO.

Freypower
01-26-2012, 07:44 PM
OK; I love BNW too but parts of it I find rather cliched. I don't like the 'don't worry darlin'/this will all be over soon/remember you will always be my girl' part very much whereas Common Ground rocks from start to finish.
Especially when he gets to this part:

For the mountain high or a city street
It's the same old world below our feet
It's time to wake up, people, and take a look around
We all stand on common ground
It's time for every woman and every man
To hold the future in our hands
Wake up and look around

Incidentally you have 'for' the mountain high there & I hear it as 'on'.

01-26-2012, 10:54 PM
Well, as I said, I love Brave New World too, but I don't put it on the same pedestal as Soda - that's for sure. I definitely don't think it is among the best songs in this game. To me, it is a better than average song, but it is not a great song lyrically, musically, or melodically. On the other hand, Common Ground is much more than just "a nice message" as Soda characterizes it and is superior overall to BNW. JMHO

But, obviously, majority rules here so that's really all that matters at this point.

whitcap
01-27-2012, 02:29 PM
I vote for The Heat is On.

Freypower
01-27-2012, 05:41 PM
Well, as I said, I love Brave New World too, but I don't put it on the same pedestal as Soda - that's for sure. I definitely don't think it is among the best songs in this game. To me, it is a better than average song, but it is not a great song lyrically, musically, or melodically. On the other hand, Common Ground is much more than just "a nice message" as Soda characterizes it and is superior overall to BNW. JMHO

But, obviously, majority rules here so that's really all that matters at this point.

Of course majority rules; I'm just surprised that Common Ground is about to depart so soon with barely a whimper.

Topkat
01-27-2012, 06:35 PM
I'm going with
Who's Been Sleeping In My Bed

Glennsallnighter
01-27-2012, 08:00 PM
I really don't like voting any of these songs off because all of them are hits in their own right. I like CG and don't really like seeing it go so soon. I suppose one song which I never took to as much as the others is 'I've Got Mine' I don't really know why.

So at the risk of destroying my friendship with Dreamer! I cast my vote this round for 'I've Got Mine' (runs and hides from Dreamer)

01-27-2012, 08:41 PM
So at the risk of destroying my friendship with Dreamer! I cast my vote this round for 'I've Got Mine' (runs and hides from Dreamer)

:steviesmack: GA!!! This is more than a girl can take - Common Ground is going down and now you're trying to get rid of the awesome I've Got Mine - one of my very favorite Glenn songs. But, assuming I survive this round, I'll forgive you just cause you're so sweet. :wink:

UK TimFan
01-27-2012, 08:45 PM
I cast my vote this round for 'I've Got Mine' (runs and hides from Dreamer)
It's not just Dreamer you've got to run and hide from, 'cos 'I've got mine' is one of my favourites, too. :machinegun:

Henley Honey
01-27-2012, 08:53 PM
Common Ground.

UK TimFan
01-27-2012, 08:58 PM
I vote for 'The heat is on'.

sodascouts
01-27-2012, 09:00 PM
The second song to be eliminated from Glenn’s Solo Collection Survivor is Common Ground. “Common Ground,” go catch up with "Sexy Girl" - you two can cross that river together since you've both been voted off. Regardless, it's time for you to go. The remaining songs may return to camp.

Votes
Common Ground - 8
The Heat Is On - 3
Who's Been Sleepin' in My Bed - 1
I've Got Mine - 1
Brave New World – 1

Vote Breakdown
Common Ground - sodascouts
Common Ground - timfan
Common Ground - Koala
Common Ground - Mrs Frey
Common Ground - WalshFan88
Common Ground - TimothyBFan
Common Ground - Brooke
Common Ground - Henley Honey
The Heat Is On - Freypower
The Heat Is On - whitcap
The Heat Is On- UK TimFan
Who's Been Sleepin' in My Bed - Topkat
I've Got Mine - Glennsallnighter

Songs eliminated:
Sexy Girl 1/25
Common Ground 1/27

Songs remaining:
This Way to Happiness
Who's Been Sleepin' in My Bed
Call on Me
The One You Love
Smuggler's Blues
The Heat Is On
You Belong to the City
True Love
Soul Searchin'
Part of Me, Part of You
I've Got Mine
River of Dreams
Brave New World

Voting for Round 3 begins now!

Glennsallnighter
01-27-2012, 09:03 PM
It's not just Dreamer you've got to run and hide from, 'cos 'I've got mine' is one of my favourites, too. :machinegun:

Hey! Sorry :hug:

Freypower
01-27-2012, 09:10 PM
OK, well, although I have seen it live I vote for Who's Been Sleeping In My Bed. I have always found the premise of it somewhat dubious.

NB: I just looked at the CD cover & it is 'sleeping' not 'sleepin'' but to be fair on the first page of the thread it's written 'sleeping'.

sodascouts
01-27-2012, 09:19 PM
Sorry about the error. I'll be sure to write it as "Sleeping" from now on. In fact, I'll write it that way now when I vote for it!

I cast my vote for Who's Been Sleeping in My Bed.

It's bluesy and it's got a great groove. I love Glenn's growly vocal. So what's the problem, you may ask? It's that last verse. I know it's supposed to be a joke, but it makes me wince every time I hear Glenn singing that he's about to beat his cheating girlfriend so badly that she'll have to go to the hospital.

Henley Honey
01-27-2012, 09:26 PM
Sorry about the error. I'll be sure to write it as "Sleeping" from now on. In fact, I'll write it that way now when I vote for it!

Me too!! Thanks for the correction, FP.

But just so I'm clear I'll do it both ways:

Who's Been Sleeping and/or Sleepin In My Bed.

Freypower
01-27-2012, 09:40 PM
You can argue that it's nitpicking & it probably wasn't worth mentioning. :roll:

UK TimFan
01-27-2012, 10:02 PM
Hey! Sorry :hug:
And :hug: back.
I've had my favourites voted off early in most of the Survivors, so have had to develop a very thick skin, and I don't take anything personally. :smile:

Koala
01-28-2012, 01:52 AM
I cast my vote for Who's Been Sleeping In My Bed

Wildthyme
01-28-2012, 07:22 AM
Not that its an easy choice but this round I vote for Brave New World to be eliminated....

timfan
01-28-2012, 09:34 AM
Well since this was my other choice last round.... I vote for Call on Me

Glennhoney
01-28-2012, 09:44 AM
My vote is for "River of dreams".........SORRY!!!!!

01-28-2012, 01:36 PM
Run, GH, Run!!! :fear:

Although, you don't have to worry about me cause I'm still recuperating over the last round. I still can't believe the awesome Common Ground went down in this game before WBSIMB or Call On Me. Now, again I like both of these songs too, but not nearly as much as Common Ground. Oh My! :ack: But, I guess I'll get over my shock and dismay soon.

Speaking of WBSIMB - the song does rock live. I actually think the 'callin' up the hospital, darlin' and gettin' a room with two beds in your name' lines are quite clever and funny, but I do agree that the sentiment is uncool. When I'm ready to vote, this will definitely be my choice if my vote will help eliminate the song.

Now, as far as these early votes for The Heat Is On - I'll just say this. Although I agree the song isn't a lyrical masterpiece, this song simply rocks. The vocals, music, and melody are so freakin' catchy that's it's no wonder people can't get it out of their head. It's still around and recognizable after over 25 years - a true anthem at sporting events. And here in the U.S., a summer cannot go by without the phrase and song being played or referenced repeatedly in weather reports.

ETA: Got this timely Google Alert today regarding The Heat Is On. May not be your thing, but apparently drag queens like the song too according to this article about a recent drag party in Chicago. I just quoted the part in the article that refers to THIO ...

Former Fabulous Lady of Fitness (http://www.facebook.com/pages/Fabulous-Ladies-of-Fitness/191753964835) Jyldo (Jyl Fehrenkamp) executed choreographic aerolesque (burlobics?) with drum-majorette precision to Glenn Frey’s “The Heat is On,” sporting a brief, solid gold ensemble and brandishing two rainbow fans.

http://timeoutchicago.com/arts-culture/unscripted-blog/15100959/shits-giggles-seasonal-affective-dance-party-at-the-whistler

Glennhoney
01-28-2012, 03:40 PM
I know, I know...I nearly didn't post..:nervous:...but as much as I LOVE the video, the song itself is not one of my favorites....I also very much love the "rocking" side of Glenn...like The heat is on, WBSIMB, Call on me, etc......

sodascouts
01-28-2012, 05:02 PM
Oh my gosh, River of Dreams is one of my very favorites! I adore it! It's absolutely lovely! I hope it makes it at least to the top three, if not the final round.

I also want The Heat Is On to last longer. It rocks hard and it brings a smile to even the most casual of fans. Indeed, due to its playing at various sport events, weather reports, etc, it definitely has more recognition than any other Glenn Frey solo song. In fact, I think it may live on in this manner for decades to come! His name has even become conjoined with the term in popular culture. How many times have I read/heard something along the lines of "As Glenn Frey would say, 'The Heat Is On'!"

Windeagle
01-28-2012, 05:11 PM
I know, I know...I nearly didn't post..:nervous:...but as much as I LOVE the video, the song itself is not one of my favorites....I also very much love the "rocking" side of Glenn...like The heat is on, WBSIMB, Call on me, etc......

If it's any consolation, GH, I'm with you on River Of Dreams, even though I'm not voting. I WANT to love it. I really do. I love the instrumental opening, and the sentiment, and the video is adorable, but... I just can't get past the phrasing. He crams so many syllables into each line that I just can't sing it. I think I'm unusually picky because I lived for 6 years with a songwriter who was fanatical about his phrasing. It bugs me because the song has so much potential except for that one key element.

Please don't hate me, anyone! I know the song is a crowd pleaser around here. This is just my own particular quirk. :)

Freypower
01-28-2012, 05:15 PM
Oh my gosh, River of Dreams is one of my very favorites! I adore it! It's absolutely lovely! I hope it makes it at least to the top three, if not the final round.

I also want The Heat Is On to last longer. It rocks hard and it brings a smile to even the most casual of fans. Indeed, due to its playing at various sport events, weather reports, etc, it definitely has more recognition than any other Glenn Frey solo song. In fact, I think it may live on in this manner for decades to come! His name has even become conjoined with the term in popular culture. How many times have I read/heard something along the lines of "As Glenn Frey would say, 'The Heat Is On'!"

Yes, THIO is a big hit, is fun live & makes people smile. He sings it beautifully. I cannot comment on its use in the United States. It was a minor hit here & it never caught on as a catchphrase. However, in terms of how good a SONG it is, it is well behind every other remaining song in this game except for WBSIMB as far as I am concerned.

Topkat
01-28-2012, 06:10 PM
I will vote again for:

Who's Been Sleeping in My Bed

sodascouts
01-28-2012, 11:05 PM
Yes, THIO is a big hit, is fun live & makes people smile. He sings it beautifully. I cannot comment on its use in the United States. It was a minor hit here & it never caught on as a catchphrase. However, in terms of how good a SONG it is, it is well behind every other remaining song in this game except for WBSIMB as far as I am concerned.

I beg to differ; I think that THIO is also up there in terms of how "good" a song it is. There's a reason so many people love it so much. That great, instantly recognizable sax part; the catchy melody; that rockin' beat that makes you want to move; the song's driving energy; the way the chorus amps it up; the way everyone loves to shout "The Heat is...ON" when it's played live; and of course, the way he sings the song...hot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-mU-YSk32I

Tell me, do you feel it?

Oh-woah-ho indeed. ;)

Freypower
01-28-2012, 11:40 PM
I like The Heat Is On. I prefer all the other songs in this game to it, that's all. :doh:

Glennsallnighter
01-29-2012, 11:44 AM
I like THIO! It's one of the ones I used listen to (and try to exercise to) in the 80s! After Niagara Falls......... I couldn't vote it off, even though I think it was half over when I realised what Glenn :heart: was actually singing.

I love them all. This round I might as well stick with 'Ive Got Mine'.

01-29-2012, 02:30 PM
However, in terms of how good a SONG it is, it is well behind every other remaining song in this game except for WBSIMB as far as I am concerned.

FP - when I read this statement it sounds to me as if you are saying The Heat Is On isn't very good. Maybe, that's not how you meant it, but you are basically saying it is an inferior song to most other songs in this game.

When someone says they don't like the song, then that is fair enough because that's totally subjective. But if they say it's not a good song, I would have to disagree. If you don't think this is a good song, I guess your criteria is definitely different from mine. For me, a song doesn't have to be thought-provoking or provocative to be a good song. It can be fun, upbeat, and contagious like Soda said in her post.

whitcap
01-29-2012, 02:35 PM

Freypower
01-29-2012, 04:40 PM
FP - when I read this statement it sounds to me as if you are saying The Heat Is On isn't very good. Maybe, that's not how you meant it, but you are basically saying it is an inferior song to most other songs in this game.

When someone says they don't like the song, then that is fair enough because that's totally subjective. But if they say it's not a good song, I would have to disagree. If you don't think this is a good song, I guess your criteria is definitely different from mine. For me, a song doesn't have to be thought-provoking or provocative to be a good song. It can be fun, upbeat, and contagious like Soda said in her post.

OK then. I like the song. I don't like it as much as the other songs in this game. I hope that helps. :roll: I did actually say that a couple of posts ago. I'm not going to argue whether the song is 'good' or not. It's a catchy pop song. I don't know whether it deserves to be treated with such reverence.

sodascouts
01-29-2012, 04:52 PM
Hey, discussion is all part of the game, FP! I personally enjoy debate and don't take it personally if someone disagrees.

Re: "I've Got Mine" - I love the way this song develops; it has an urgency and intensity to it and the chorus, while serious, has a catchy hook. Also, I find it very interesting the way the third verse is structured; it presents the realistic justifications of rich folks stated in the first person rather than presenting their attitudes in the third person like he does elsewhere in the song. It adds another dimension to the song, IMHO.

The video for it is rather unimpressive, but listen to the song and judge for yourself:

http://music.yahoo.com/videos/Glenn+Frey/I%27ve+Got+Mine--2162820

UK TimFan
01-29-2012, 07:59 PM
The link Soda has given for 'I've got mine' only works in 'certain areas', but a live version is (currently) available on You Tube as music-only.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uACBMyrV2Bs

GlennLover
01-29-2012, 08:38 PM
This is very difficult! I love all the songs! Apart from the song that I want to win I don't know which song to vote off next. I love WBSIM. It's one of my top favorite Glenn solo songs. The tune is so catchy to me & makes me feel good every time I hear it. I don't mind the last verse. I too think it is all in fun & I love Glenn's guitar sosls & his growls at the end.

That said I have decided to cast my vote for The Heat Is On.

I love it but I just love the others at least a teenie bit more.

01-29-2012, 08:58 PM
If it's any consolation, GH, I'm with you on River Of Dreams, even though I'm not voting. I WANT to love it. I really do. I love the instrumental opening, and the sentiment, and the video is adorable, but... I just can't get past the phrasing. He crams so many syllables into each line that I just can't sing it. I think I'm unusually picky because I lived for 6 years with a songwriter who was fanatical about his phrasing. It bugs me because the song has so much potential except for that one key element.

Please don't hate me, anyone! I know the song is a crowd pleaser around here. This is just my own particular quirk. :)

WE - I meant to comment on this earlier, but I always giggle when I read something that someone writes here that is exactly the opposite of how I feel about something. The phrasing, use of words/syllables, and cadence is one of the things I love best about River of Dreams. I just love the uniqueness because to me it makes the song so interesting and takes it to another level rather than being just another mundane ballad. Of course, the imagery in the lyrics, the vocals, the music, and the overall arrangement don't hurt the song either for me. :grin:

Hey, discussion is all part of the game, FP! I personally enjoy debate and don't take it personally if someone disagrees.

Re: "I've Got Mine" - I love the way this song develops; it has an urgency and intensity to it and the chorus, while serious, has a catchy hook. Also, I find it very interesting the way the third verse is structured; it presents the realistic justifications of rich folks stated in the first person rather than presenting their attitudes in the third person like he does elsewhere in the song. It adds another dimension to the song, IMHO.

The video for it is rather unimpressive, but listen to the song and judge for yourself:

http://music.yahoo.com/videos/Glenn+Frey/I%27ve+Got+Mine--2162820

And Soda - I always thought the way Glenn switches to first person in the final verse of I've Got Mine is his way of including himself as one of the "haves".

Now for my vote - Since WBSIMB is going down without my vote ...

UK TimFan
01-29-2012, 08:59 PM
I vote for 'The heat is on'.

sodascouts
01-29-2012, 09:06 PM
The third song to be eliminated from Glenn’s Solo Collection Survivor is Who's Been Sleeping in My Bed. “Who's Been Sleeping in My Bed,” who do you think you're fooling? It's time for you to go. The remaining songs may return to camp.

Votes
Who's Been Sleeping in My Bed - 5
The Heat Is On - 3
Brave New World – 2
Call on Me - 1
River of Dreams - 1
I've Got Mine - 1

Vote Breakdown
Who's Been Sleeping in My Bed - Freypower
Who's Been Sleeping in My Bed - sodascouts
Who's Been Sleeping in My Bed - Henley Honey
Who's Been Sleeping in My Bed - Koala
Who's Been Sleeping in My Bed - Topkat
The Heat Is On - whitcap
The Heat Is On - GlennLover
The Heat Is On - UK TimFan
Brave New World - Wildthyme
Call on Me - timfan
River of Dreams - Glennhoney
I've Got Mine - Glennsallnighter

Songs eliminated:
Sexy Girl 1/25
Common Ground 1/27

Songs remaining:
This Way to Happiness
Call on Me
The One You Love
Smuggler's Blues
The Heat Is On
You Belong to the City
True Love
Soul Searchin'
Part of Me, Part of You
I've Got Mine
River of Dreams
Brave New World

Voting for Round 4 begins now!

sodascouts
01-29-2012, 09:15 PM
I hate to look like I'm picking off all of the latter songs, but...

I cast my vote for Call on Me.

It's cute and fun, but I prefer the others to it. It just doesn't have the level of impact on me that the others do; although this has virtues, I believe the other songs left have more.

sodascouts
01-29-2012, 09:21 PM
And Soda - I always thought the way Glenn switches to first person in the final verse of I've Got Mine is his way of including himself as one of the "haves".

I agree. I also think these might have been things he'd heard people in his own social circle/income bracket say.

timfan
01-29-2012, 09:32 PM
I'll go with that one.. I vote for Call on Me. While it's nice I do truly believe it is the weakest of the remaining songs.

Freypower
01-29-2012, 09:34 PM
Call On Me is one of my favourites!

I vote for The Heat Is On.

Koala
01-30-2012, 03:08 AM
This is so hard to decide!

I cast my vote for Call on Me

TimothyBFan
01-30-2012, 08:34 AM
Oops- Sorry I missed the last round but it's all good because I've got about 3 songs here that are pretty much running in a dead heat for next to go on my list and WBSIMB was one of them.

I have to say I'm rather surprised at the votes for THIO-I really didn't see that coming so soon.

This round I'm voting for This Way To Happiness. Even tho it's an upbeat, happy song, it just doesn't do much for me.

Topkat
01-30-2012, 10:46 AM
This round my vote goes to:

BRAVE NEW WORLD

01-30-2012, 12:11 PM
Well the problem is all these songs are good. I like Call On Me too, but I don't think it's a standout compared to these other songs. I would encourage folks to ban together and vote for it to save The Heat Is On. When I'm ready to vote, I'll definitely join a coalition if my vote is needed to eliminate it.

Save The Heat Is On!

Vote for Call On Me!

UK TimFan
01-30-2012, 02:08 PM
:rofl:
Sorry, Dreamer, but it always makes me laugh when other people are asked to vote for a song to save one of your* favourites, but you're not prepared to cast your vote unless it's needed. If you want people to vote for a song, then IMO you have to lead by example and first vote for it yourself .

your* = a favourite song of the person making the request; applies in any Survivor, not specifically to Dreamer's request in this one.

Brooke
01-30-2012, 02:42 PM
Well darn, I missed the last round! It's usually pretty hard for me to make it to The Border over the weekend. Just too much life going on!

I am surprised to find all the votes already for THIO. It's way up the list for me. One of my favorite Glenn songs. :shrug:

And I've Got Mine?! Not yet! :shock:

I'm not too sad to see WBSIMB getting so many votes, but my next song on the list is Call On Me, so that's what I'm voting for this round.

sodascouts
01-30-2012, 03:26 PM
The thing that for me lifts "This Way to Happiness" above the other "new" songs on the collection is the vocal. It's absolutely stellar and far outpaces "Call on Me", although "Call on Me" is very enjoyable. In fact, I'd go so far as to say "This Way to Happiness" is one of his best vocals. In addition to the vocal, the whole song just lifts my heart and makes me smile every time. I adore it!

Listen, for instance, to the way he belts it out when he sings "I've been searching for what seems like forever now!"

http://www.myspace.com/video/eagles-online-central/glenn-frey-of-the-90s-this-way-to-happiness/23076164

PS Sorry for those who can't access MySpace videos in their country, but it's not on YouTube. :(

Glennhoney
01-30-2012, 05:41 PM
I CANNOT oust any songs at all...I keep looking at the list, and it simply cannot be done...lol:roll:

Freypower
01-30-2012, 06:06 PM
Sorry, Dreamer, but it always makes me laugh when other people are asked to vote for a song to save one of your* favourites, but you're not prepared to cast your vote unless it's needed. If you want people to vote for a song, then IMO you have to lead by example and first vote for it yourself .

your* = a favourite song of the person making the request; applies in any Survivor, not specifically to Dreamer's request in this one.

A brief reminder of the Survivor rules:

Note:Do not criticize how/why other people vote. Their reasons are their own and they are free to vote however they like. Also, never attack a fellow poster. You can disagree about a certain song without making it personal. Sometimes these games can get heated, but remember.. it's still just a game.

VAisForEagleLovers
01-30-2012, 06:27 PM
I CANNOT oust any songs at all...I keep looking at the list, and it simply cannot be done...lol:roll:

GH, I agree. I haven't cast a vote since the first round. I like them all and to kick one off the island doesn't feel right. Mostly, though, a song I don't want to hear today could be a song I listen to eight times tomorrow. It's so dependent on my mood and things going on in my life.

UK TimFan
01-30-2012, 08:47 PM

A brief reminder of the Survivor rules:

Note:Do not criticize how/why other people vote. Their reasons are their own and they are free to vote however they like. Also, never attack a fellow poster. You can disagree about a certain song without making it personal. Sometimes these games can get heated, but remember.. it's still just a game.

My comment wasn't intended as an attack on Dreamer, but on re-reading my post (for about the umpteenth time, as I do try to be as grammar-correct and precise in my meaning as possible before I post) I realise that by including Dreamer's name at the beginning of my post it could possibly be interpreted that way. Especially as I used 'you' though I'd hoped that my explanation of the word 'your' would have confirmed that it wasn't specific to Dreamer; I'd only included Dreamer's name because I was commenting on something she'd posted.
It wasn't even meant as a criticism of how people vote - the :rofl:should make that very clear. I actually find it quite funny (both ha ha and peculiar!) that person A asks the Borderers to vote for a song but person A doesn't vote for it there and then. I won't make the mistake of categorically stating that it happens in every Survivor, but it happens a lot and I laugh every time.

01-30-2012, 10:10 PM
My comment wasn't intended as an attack on Dreamer, but on re-reading my post (for about the umpteenth time, as I do try to be as grammar-correct and precise in my meaning as possible before I post) I realise that by including Dreamer's name at the beginning of my post it could possibly be interpreted that way. Especially as I used 'you' though I'd hoped that my explanation of the word 'your' would have confirmed that it wasn't specific to Dreamer; I'd only included Dreamer's name because I was commenting on something she'd posted.
It wasn't even meant as a criticism of how people vote - the :rofl:should make that very clear. I actually find it quite funny (both ha ha and peculiar!) that person A asks the Borderers to vote for a song but person A doesn't vote for it there and then. I won't make the mistake of categorically stating that it happens in every Survivor, but it happens a lot and I laugh every time.

First of all - Thank you Freypower.

UK TimFan - I'm sorry but when you call me out by name - it is personal, no matter what your intention is. And quite honestly, I am taking it personally considering that you continue to bring it up each time I call for a coalition despite being repeatedly asked not to.

As I've said before, I understand you don't approve of my methods. But I would appreciate it if you would address any further comments about this to me by PM. The purpose of this thread is not supposed to be to judge, comment, or discuss voting methods and rules for the game. It is to vote on and discuss the songs in the game. Now, I will address this for what I hope is the final time. I will stress that I am not mandating to anyone how they must vote. If it were a mandate, then I would follow suit. I am encouraging, urging, and trying to persuade folks to vote for a certain song. If enough people form a coalition, I will follow suit.

whitcap
01-30-2012, 11:14 PM

Mrs Frey
01-31-2012, 06:28 AM
I cast my vote for "Call On Me".

I'm sorry I missed the last round, but I would have voted for "Who's Been Sleeping In My Bed" anyway. Sorry, Glenn :heart:. ;)

I also just want to add my 10c worth about "The Heat Is On". In my opinion, it is a super song, and even though Glenn :heart: didn't write it, it is wonderfully suitable to his voice, and he performs it beautifully. It's catchy and rhythmic, and I love his guitar solo.

I performed a solo show last Saturday night, and I opened my set with this song. Everyone loves the song, no matter where I perform it. It's definitely one of my favourite Glenn :heart: songs.

Glennsallnighter
01-31-2012, 06:31 AM

I agree with you! Its like telling one of your kids they cannot go to a party when everyone else can! However if we all took this stance and sat on the fence there would be no survivor. It forces one to think beyond the box and look at aspects of songs that we hadn't thought of previously.

VA, I agree with you! Sometimes I'm incredibly happy and lively and energetic and I want to hear songs like TWTH, THIO,etc.. Other times I'm tired and sluggish and want to hear ROD, or TOYL. Its all so subjective!

As regards the coalition. IMHO anybody has the right to suggest one! That Dreamer chose to introduce one really isn't an issue here. You don't have to go with either song if you don't want to! At least its open to all to follow or not follow as they choose! Its not suggested to annoy other people or downgrade the songs that they like!

And I don't really want to wave Bye Bye to THIO just yet!

So I'll vote this round to eliminate 'Call On Me' Looks like it might have to wait in the lost and found for a while!

Glennhoney
01-31-2012, 12:23 PM
Yes I suppose you're right....so "Call on me" will be my vote too....:ack:

sodascouts
01-31-2012, 02:33 PM
My favorites change as well. Sometimes I feel like rockin' and this it's "Smuggler's Blues." Sometimes I want to hear something romantic and it's time for "River of Dreams."

And when I'm feeling sad or down and I need something that will not only lift my spirits but will also fill my heart and speak to my soul, I listen to "Part of Me, Part of You." Because of that - and I guess I'm giving my fave away now - POMPOY holds the most power for me.

VAisForEagleLovers
01-31-2012, 03:02 PM
POMPOY was my favorite until I actually saw the movie a couple of years ago. Now every time I hear it I think of the movie and I have no wish to be reminded of it.

sodascouts
01-31-2012, 03:11 PM
Aw, man! I didn't like the movie either, but to me the two have little to do with each other besides the fact that the song was written for it.

In fact, Glenn actually said at one point - and I'm paraphrasing here - that when he was enlisted to write a song for the soundtrack, he told them he wasn't going to write a song about two women riding across the country after shooting a would-be rapist, but rather a song about friendship and love that could be applied to the movie if one so chose.

If I were you, I would bleach that movie from my brain and just enjoy the song! (PS In order to do that, don't watch the song's video).

VAisForEagleLovers
01-31-2012, 03:40 PM
I've tried. I still see Geena Davis's face when I listen to it. Perhaps I should page down through the photo thread next time I have the CD in the stereo here in the house (they currently are in the outdoor system and one of my vehicles) and try some positive association. :drool:

Freypower
01-31-2012, 03:44 PM
Oh, no. POMPOY is too great a song to think of the film every time you hear it (although I liked the film). Give it another chance.

In terms of songs to fit moods that's another topic, perhaps.

sodascouts
01-31-2012, 06:00 PM
I've tried. I still see Geena Davis's face when I listen to it. Perhaps I should page down through the photo thread next time I have the CD in the stereo here in the house (they currently are in the outdoor system and one of my vehicles) and try some positive association. :drool:

That's a good - or if you think of the movie, think of Brad Pitt shirtless instead of Geena. ;)

Henley Honey
01-31-2012, 06:23 PM
I'm voting for Call On Me to save THIO. :nod:

GlennLover
01-31-2012, 08:20 PM
I agree with you! Its like telling one of your kids they cannot go to a party when everyone else can! However if we all took this stance and sat on the fence there would be no survivor. It forces one to think beyond the box and look at aspects of songs that we hadn't thought of previously.

VA, I agree with you! Sometimes I'm incredibly happy and lively and energetic and I want to hear songs like TWTH, THIO,etc.. Other times I'm tired and sluggish and want to hear ROD, or TOYL. Its all so subjective!

As regards the coalition. IMHO anybody has the right to suggest one! That Dreamer chose to introduce one really isn't an issue here. You don't have to go with either song if you don't want to! At least its open to all to follow or not follow as they choose! Its not suggested to annoy other people or downgrade the songs that they like!

I agree with you on all the points quote that I included in your quote above. It is sooo hard to pick a song to vote off. However I am going to go with my choice in the last round.

I vote for The Heat Is On.

Topkat
01-31-2012, 08:48 PM
I'm very shocked about the amount of votes for THIO...This is one of Glenn's best songs & one of his hits. Really surprised.

01-31-2012, 08:53 PM
Well it looks like the coalition will work this time to save The Heat Is On so I'll join in ...

I cast my vote for Call On Me.

Freypower
01-31-2012, 09:02 PM
I should have tried to defend Call On Me but I ddin't know how. Too late now. :ack: I love the song regardless.

01-31-2012, 09:03 PM
The next song to be eliminated from Glenn’s Solo Collection Survivor is Call On Me. “Call On Me”, I guess everyone you counted on let you down. It’s going to be a long and lonely ride, but you must please leave the island immediately.

Votes
Call On Me – 9
The Heat Is On – 3
This Way To Happiness – 1
Brave New World – 1

Vote Breakdown
Call On Me – sodascouts
Call On Me – timfan
Call On Me – Koala
Call On Me – Brooke
Call On Me – Mrs. Frey
Call On Me – Glennsallnighter
Call On Me – Glennhoney
Call On Me – Henley Honey
Call On Me – Ive always been a dreamer
The Heat Is On – Freypower
The Heat Is On – whitcap
The Heat Is On – GlennLover
This Way To Happiness – TimothyBFan
Brave New World – Topkat

Songs eliminated:
Sexy Girl 1/25
Common Ground 1/27
Call on Me 1/31

Songs remaining:
This Way to Happiness
The One You Love
Smuggler's Blues
The Heat is On
You Belong to the City
True Love
Soul Searchin'
Part of Me, Part of You
I've Got Mine
River of Dreams
Brave New World

Voting for Round 5 begins now.

Freypower
01-31-2012, 09:10 PM
I vote for The Heat Is On again & will continue to do so. I prefer every other song still in this game to it. Catchy though THIO is, even though I saw it live last year (for the first time since 1988 ) I don't feel that strongly about it. Against the grain this may be but I have to go with what I feel. Voting for it also means I can avoid voting for the other songs.

I will say this though. Three of the four 'new' songs have gone. To anyone who thinks This Way To Happiness should go next, please give it some thought. It's a great song, very personal & very uplifting, with a superb vocal. He takes you on a journey with him.

whitcap
01-31-2012, 11:04 PM

Topkat
01-31-2012, 11:19 PM
Dreamer, the remaining songs aren't showing up & some other stuff.
I have the blue background setting, Are you using blue type??

Freypower
01-31-2012, 11:20 PM
You can see the remaining songs if you go back to the first page of the thread.

Topkat
01-31-2012, 11:29 PM
Thanks, I changed my theme to HFO. I can see it now!

01-31-2012, 11:38 PM
TK - I went back and removed some tags that got embedded. Hopefully, you can see it now. Thanks for letting me know because it looked fine to me on the EOC default style.

I will say this though. Three of the four 'new' songs have gone. To anyone who thinks This Way To Happiness should go next, please give it some thought. It's a great song, very personal & very uplifting, with a superb vocal. He takes you on a journey with him.

FP, I will have to agree with you here about This Way To Happiness. It is a magnificent song. All of the remaining songs are fantastic as far as I'm concerned and the voting is getting harder and harder. But for me, my least favorite of all of them is Brave New World. As good as it is, something's gotta go and this one should be the one.

(BTW, I'm not voting yet - just stating my opinion.)

Koala
02-01-2012, 12:54 AM
I cast my vote for This Way to Happiness

sodascouts
02-01-2012, 01:19 AM
I think "This Way to Happiness" is terrific. I won't be voting for it yet.

I'm leaning towards voting for Soul Searchin'. While I like the gospel choir and think it was a great idea to add them to the chorus, I think also having them echo every line Glenn sings in one of the verses is a bit much. Plus, it gets a little repetitive toward the end. Otherwise, it's a great song, but something must go... I haven't completely decided yet, but I think that's what I'll vote for.

TimothyBFan
02-01-2012, 09:23 AM
After all the testemonies for it, I feel rather bad doing this. But like I said, it just doesn't do it for.

I vote for This Way To Happiness

Mrs Frey
02-01-2012, 11:23 AM
This is not an easy choice, but I'm going to cast my vote for "River Of Dreams".

Sorry, Glenn :heart:.

Brooke
02-01-2012, 11:58 AM
I'm voting for Brave New World this time. I like it, just not as much as the rest. It's next on my list.

Fp, I too, agree with you about TWTH. Love it!

sodascouts
02-01-2012, 03:34 PM
I guess not many folks agree with me about Soul Searchin'. Shoot, this Survivor is painful! I get bummed by every vote because I love so many of them! River of Dreams going this early though.... it cannot be!!!

Henley Honey
02-01-2012, 05:23 PM
This Way To Happiness :wave:

Freypower
02-01-2012, 05:29 PM
I guess not many folks agree with me about Soul Searchin'. Shoot, this Survivor is painful! I get bummed by every vote because I love so many of them! River of Dreams going this early though.... it cannot be!!!

Soda, Soul Searchin' would be next for me after THIO, fond as I am of it, for the same reasons you gave.

I also can't believe there is a vote for ROD. Sorry, MF, but that song is RIGHT, and I mean right, up there with Glenn's greatest achievements.

Brooke
02-01-2012, 05:32 PM
SS is next for me too. It just edged out over BNW for me.

And I agree with you Fp, about ROD. MF, what were you thinking! :lol:

Topkat
02-01-2012, 06:29 PM
Voting this round for:
THIS WAY TO HAPPINESS

Freypower
02-01-2012, 06:33 PM
It's a shame to see the four most recent songs just vanish so quickly. They are all excellent songs.

sodascouts
02-01-2012, 06:35 PM
Aw, if "This Way to Happiness" goes it'll be "This Way to Sadness" for me! :weep:

Glennsallnighter
02-01-2012, 06:58 PM
Awwwww I know Soda :hug:. I don't want it to go either

GlennLover
02-01-2012, 10:22 PM
It's a shame to see the four most recent songs just vanish so quickly. They are all excellent songs.

I agree. They are great songs.

02-01-2012, 10:30 PM
Wow - I don't want This Way To Happiness to go either, but I guess I'd rather that go than The Heat Is On or Soul Searchin'. This is HARD! I started to call for a coalition, but I had no idea which song to target. My least favorite remaining songs are Brave New World and The One You Love, but it seems that I'm in the minority here. It looks like we are so split that it's only going to take four or five votes to eliminate a song and The Heat Is On will loose in a tie because of the number of previous votes.

Now, let me make a case for Soul Searchin'. I'm repeating much of what I've said about this song before. To me, this is a wonderful song mostly because of the vocals and the arrangement. I don't find it too repetitve at all. The melody, music, and use of the gospel choir are so good that the repetition is extremely enjoyable to listen to for me. I also love the bridge, and I just plain love this song and it’s inspirational message.

timfan
02-01-2012, 10:42 PM
Geez this is HARD! I like everything!

However I vote for The Heat Is On in hopes of saving TWTH.

Mrs Frey
02-02-2012, 03:38 AM
Soda, Soul Searchin' would be next for me after THIO, fond as I am of it, for the same reasons you gave.

I also can't believe there is a vote for ROD. Sorry, MF, but that song is RIGHT, and I mean right, up there with Glenn's greatest achievements.

FP, I knew the shotguns and arrows would come out for me because I voted for "River Of Dreams", but even though I appreciate the song, it just doesn't do the same for me musically as the other remaining songs do.

Sorry, that's just my opinion. I go on feel and how I respond to a song... whether it excites me or not. "River Of Dreams" is a very pleasant song, but it doesn't excite me very much.

Mrs Frey
02-02-2012, 03:43 AM
And I agree with you Fp, about ROD. MF, what were you thinking! :lol:

Sorry, Brooke :shrug:... as I said, it wasn't an easy choice :sad:.

Wildthyme
02-02-2012, 10:14 AM
TWTH is one of my favorite songs and even though I would hate to see it eliminated so soon I just can't bring myself to vote for THIO because it is the song that began my nearly 30 year infatuation with Glenn Frey.... so this round I am voting for Brave New World.

sodascouts
02-02-2012, 01:59 PM
I'm in the same boat as Wildthyme only I can't bring myself to vote for Brave New World either. Decide Nancy, Decide!

sodascouts
02-02-2012, 02:38 PM
OK, so unless I'm mistaken (and I did this pretty quickly) here's what we got so far:

This Way to Happiness - 4 votes
The Heat Is On - 3 votes
Brave New World - 2 votes
River of Dreams - 1 vote

Oh my gosh. I can't vote for any of these.

Screw it, I can't be strategic here.

I cast my vote for Soul Searchin'.

Glennsallnighter
02-02-2012, 07:07 PM
I'm not able to vote for either of those either. I love them all too much!

If a few more ran with you and Soul Searching I'd maybe run with that! I'll hold on another little while and see!

02-02-2012, 07:38 PM
OMG - This is too much. I hate to vote for any of these songs, but I guess I must. I just don't think The Heat Is On should go down this early. I also love the song I'm voting for and the only reason I am voting for it is to try to The Heat Is On for one more round ...

I cast my vote for This Way To Happiness.

Glennsallnighter
02-02-2012, 08:57 PM
Yeah, I'll vote this round for Soul Searching. Its probably one of the ones I skip more when I'm playing the cd, compared to the other songs, although again its a very mood dependent thing! But I don't want to see THIO go down, and I love TWTH. Both are really cheerful 'Pick me up' songs

GlennLover
02-02-2012, 08:58 PM
the heat is on

UK TimFan
02-02-2012, 08:59 PM
I vote for 'The heat is on'

02-02-2012, 09:13 PM
Well, we have a tie, but by virtue of the tiebreaker rule, the next song to be eliminated from Glenn’s Solo Collection Survivor is The Heat Is On. “The Heat Is On” you can't win cause you’ve lost this round. The heat has been on you for a while so you must now leave the island immediately.

Votes
The Heat Is On - 5
This Way To Happiness – 5
Brave New World – 2
Soul Searchin’ – 2
River of Dreams – 1

Previous Votes
The Heat Is On - 10
This Way To Happiness - 1

Vote Breakdown
The Heat Is On – Freypower
The Heat Is On – whitcap
The Heat Is On – timfan
The Heat Is On – GlennLover
The Heat Is On – UK TimFan
This Way To Happiness – Koala
This Way To Happiness – Henley Honey
This Way To Happiness – Topkat
This Way To Happiness– Ive always been a dreamer
Brave New World – Brooke
Brave New World – WildThyme
Soul Searchin’ – sodascouts
Soul Searchin’ – Glennsallnighter
River of Dreams - Mrs. Frey

Songs eliminated:
Sexy Girl 1/25
Common Ground 1/27
Call on Me 1/31
The Heat is On 2/02

Songs remaining:
This Way to Happiness
The One You Love
Smuggler's Blues
You Belong to the City
True Love
Soul Searchin'
Part of Me, Part of You
I've Got Mine
River of Dreams
Brave New World

Voting for Round 6 begins now.

Glennhoney
02-02-2012, 09:14 PM
"River of dreams" is my vote.......

Freypower
02-02-2012, 09:41 PM
Well, that was close! I'm gad TWTH lasted one more round at least.

I vote for Soul Searchin'.

whitcap
02-02-2012, 09:42 PM
I vote for This Way to Happiness.

sodascouts
02-02-2012, 11:39 PM
Well, one of them had to go, I guess. :: sniff ::

But as for me....

The time is comin'.... to vote off Soul Searchin'!

(and yes that is my official vote)

GlennLover
02-03-2012, 12:27 AM
I have no idea what to vote off next. This is going to take some thought (and some listening to SC)! :shrug: :headscratch::grooving:

Koala
02-03-2012, 12:53 AM
I cast my vote for This Way to Happiness.

Mrs Frey
02-03-2012, 06:10 AM
I'm very disappointed that "The Heat Is On" has been voted out so soon. One of my favourites... :cry:

Oh well. :shrug:

I vote once again for "River Of Dreams". [fends off machine gun fire :wink:]

Henley Honey
02-03-2012, 07:58 AM
I'm sticking with This Way To Happiness.

TimothyBFan
02-03-2012, 10:19 AM
Amazing that a huge hit like THIO has already been voted off this early in the game. Not really sure what that says about fans, the album or how many great songs Glenn has. Interesting!!!

I'm sticking with my current vote since it came so close to being gone last round.

I vote for This Way To Happiness.

Brooke
02-03-2012, 11:26 AM
I'm really sad to see THIO go. A great song! :cry:

I'll stick with my last vote and go for Brave New World again.

I really like TWTH and SS better. TWTH is such an uplifting song and SS so thoughtful. Love them both.

Glennsallnighter
02-03-2012, 11:26 AM
Willie, I guess there are two reasons why THIO was voted off so early. The first is that as Glenn :heart: didn't actually contribute to the creation of the song, but only sang it, some may not view it as 'genuine' as the other songs which he did write and compose.

The other is that as it is so well known, ironically it could take away from the fact that IMHO its a really good song. You know, the 'familiarity breeds contempt' idea? Just suggestions though. If I tell people I like Glenn :heart: the first thing they usually say is 'Oh didn't he sing The Heat Is On?' A bit like associating the Eagles with Hotel Caifornia

I love it, I must say. Its great to exercise to and great driving music too! And Glenn :heart: sang it just after my Fallsview treat!

Topkat
02-03-2012, 11:34 AM
Voting for

"THIS WAY TO HAPPINESS"

sodascouts
02-03-2012, 01:38 PM
Yeah, I'll miss "The Heat Is On." Like I said earlier, it's Glenn's most recognizable song. "You Belong to the City" was just as big a hit, but "The Heat Is On" has become more integrated into pop culture, at least in the United States, and even the phrase has become associated with his name outside of the song's context. Apparently that means little here, though!

The song is tons of fun and I love it. My first instinct was to preserve it. However, is it better than the songs that are left? Is it better than "This Way to Happiness" or "Brave New World"? Those questions made me hesitate and instead vote for one I do think is inferior to "The Heat Is On" - namely "Soul Searchin'" - but apparently I am in the minority in that opinion! Such is the way of the game.

I definitely think the fact that Glenn didn't write "The Heat Is On" contributed to its early demise in this game. When you like all the songs and are looking for reasons to eliminate one of them, the fact that he didn't write it can give you such a reason.

Freypower
02-03-2012, 05:39 PM
I should apologise to THIO as I was one of the people arguing for its demise. My problem with it is that I know it too well (I also feel this way about another iconic song, The Boys Of Summer). I no longer love it the way I used to; I love all the other songs more. I'm afraid I can't help that. The 'he didn't write it' stuff doesn't bother me that much (he won't have many writing credits on his new album).

I'm glad to be told how important or well known it is in pop culture in the US, given that Glenn doesn't appear to be very well known as an artist there even as a member of the Eagles, or so it seems to me, but as I am not in the US that could not influence how I feel about the song. But I feel so guilty now I will have to put it in my next playlist.

Still, even at Fallsview when he did it, it wasn't a great highlight for me because I was so overwhelmed by some of the other songs he did. By the time he got to it I was floating too far above it & I can barely remember it.

Windeagle
02-03-2012, 06:03 PM
Yeah, I'll miss "The Heat Is On." Like I said earlier, it's Glenn's most recognizable song. "You Belong to the City" was just as big a hit, but "The Heat Is On" has become more integrated into pop culture, at least in the United States, and even the phrase has become associated with his name outside of the song's context. Apparently that means little here, though!

The song is tons of fun and I love it. My first instinct was to preserve it. However, is it better than the songs that are left? Is it better than "This Way to Happiness" or "Brave New World"? Those questions made me hesitate and instead vote for one I do think is inferior to "The Heat Is On" - namely "Soul Searchin'" - but apparently I am in the minority in that opinion! Such is the way of the game.

I definitely think the fact that Glenn didn't write "The Heat Is On" contributed to its early demise in this game. When you like all the songs and are looking for reasons to eliminate one of them, the fact that he didn't write it can give you such a reason.

I'll admit I wasn't sad to see THIO go, even though I'm not voting. To me, it sounds too much like a commercial jingle. That's probably not helped by how it's played at so many sporting events here. I'm not a big sports fan, so that association hurts it rather than helps it in my eyes.

I'm really enjoying being on the sidelines this time, btw. I can see there are lots of Glenn songs I'll have to get familiar with. So far, all I really know are the hits and anything from Strange Weather (which I love).

Wildthyme
02-04-2012, 09:37 AM
This round my vote goes to Soul Searchin' for elimination...

Glennsallnighter
02-04-2012, 10:31 AM
Yeah, I'm in agreement there Cami! I vote to eliminate Soul Searching as well. Dare I suggest that if anyone wants to save TWTH, they follow likewise?

02-04-2012, 12:41 PM
GA - Only if I can suggest that if anyone wants to save TWTH that they vote for Brave New World instead. :wink:

And I, too, am sorry to see THIO gone so early in this game. To me, it deserves better. Oh well! :shrug:

sodascouts
02-04-2012, 03:42 PM
Good idea GA!

SAVE THIS WAY TO HAPPINESS!!!

VOTE SOUL SEARCHIN'!!!

Henley Honey
02-04-2012, 04:24 PM
Too late to sway my vote !!:shrug:

Topkat
02-04-2012, 06:26 PM
I was also sad to see THIO leave so early in the game. I thought it would last longer. I don't know if people voted it off because Glenn didn't write it, but I don't care, I still think it's a great song & should have lasted. Everyone has their reasons for voting a song out. Sometimes it's just a matter of liking the other songs better. This game gets tough. Some difficult choices coming up....:cry:

02-04-2012, 08:52 PM
I'll take my chances that TWTH will go down without my vote even though I don't want it to go either.

UK TimFan
02-04-2012, 08:59 PM
I vote for Part of me, part of you.

sodascouts
02-04-2012, 09:00 PM
The next song to be eliminated from Glenn’s Solo Collection Survivor is This Way to Happiness. “This Way to Happiness,” the train is leavin'. It's time for you to go. Please leave the island immediately.

The rest of the songs may return to camp

Votes
This Way To Happiness – 5
Soul Searchin’ – 4
River of Dreams – 2
Brave New World - 2
Part of Me, Part of You - 1

Vote Breakdown
This Way To Happiness - whitcap
This Way To Happiness – Koala
This Way To Happiness – Henley Honey
This Way To Happiness – Topkat
Soul Searchin' - Freypower
Soul Searchin' - sodascouts
Soul Searchin' - Wildthyme
River of Dreams - Glennnhoney
River of Dreams - Mrs Frey
Brave New World – Brooke
Part of Me, Part of You - UK TimFan

Songs eliminated:
Sexy Girl 1/25
Common Ground 1/27
Call on Me 1/31
The Heat is On 2/02

Songs remaining:
The One You Love
Smuggler's Blues
You Belong to the City
True Love
Soul Searchin'
Part of Me, Part of You
I've Got Mine
River of Dreams
Brave New World

Voting for Round 7 begins now.

Freypower
02-05-2012, 12:35 AM
Soul Searchin'

Koala
02-05-2012, 03:13 AM
I cast my vote for Soul Searchin’

Glennhoney
02-05-2012, 11:21 AM
River of dreams

sodascouts
02-05-2012, 02:05 PM
Once again...

I cast my vote for Soul Searchin'.

02-05-2012, 02:09 PM
And I'm gonna try once again, too. It's time to call for a coalition ...

Save the awesome Soul Searchin' everyone!!!

Vote for Brave New World!!!

Glennsallnighter
02-05-2012, 04:27 PM
Well Dreamer, please don't take this personally ...... :wink:......

SAVE BRAVE NEW WORLD..... VOTE OFF SOUL SEARCHIN '

And true to my word, I vote off Soul SEARCHIN this round......

sodascouts
02-05-2012, 04:37 PM
I'm with GA!!

I've already detailed the assets of the dramatic, stirring "Brave New World." Now, reluctantly, I must compare "Soul Searchin'" to it unfavorably.

These are the lyrics for the second half of "Soul Searchin'" - look how much of it is repetition and echo!

There's a big train rollin' (big train rollin')
I can hear it hummin' (hear it hummin')
But the river is risin' (river is risin')
And the rain keeps comin' (rain keeps comin')

It's time to get on board before we're washed away
It's time to leave behind some things from yesterday

Let's do some soul searchin' (soul searchin')
A little bit of soul searchin' (soul searchin')
Let's do some soul searchin', just you and me

Come and talk to me

(The time is comin') You know the time is comin'
(To do some soul searchin') Do some soul searchin'
(No more runnin') There'll be no more runnin'
(No more bridges burnin') No more bridges burnin'

It's time for every woman and every man
Build a new world together, workin' hand in hand
It's time to stop pretending that you're somebody else
You know you can't change this world, but you can change yourself

Do a little soul searchin' (soul searchin')
A little bit of soul searchin' (soul searchin')
Let's do some soul searchin', just you and me
Just you and me

---------------

Now, I love Soul Searchin's sentiment, and I think if the gospel choir has been used in more moderation, the song would have been even better. I don't hate it by any means; in fact, I enjoy it! However, when I compare it to the exciting and epic "Brave New World", I find it comes up short.

TimothyBFan
02-05-2012, 06:15 PM
Next on my list....

I vote for River Of Dreams.

sodascouts
02-05-2012, 06:16 PM
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

TimothyBFan
02-05-2012, 06:19 PM
I knew I was going to stir trouble with that one---did you see how slickly I went in and just voted without to much talk about it, in hopes that no one would notice. Oooooppssss!!!!

whitcap
02-05-2012, 06:56 PM
I vote for River of Dreams.

Henley Honey
02-05-2012, 07:29 PM
I've got to go with Soul Searchin' :depressed:

Glennhoney
02-05-2012, 07:29 PM
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

...aahh poor SOda...we are so mean, aren't we...??:thud:

TimothyBFan
02-05-2012, 07:34 PM
Whitney----your signature is very cool!!!!

UK TimFan
02-05-2012, 08:17 PM
Trying to change the subject will just mean that the black mark against your name for the way you voted in this round got a little bigger. :grin:

TimothyBFan
02-05-2012, 08:24 PM
:lol: I'm trying to score brownie points. Shhhhh...... keeping a low profile.

sodascouts
02-05-2012, 08:30 PM
Yes, don't think you all will get away with this. I'm getting out the voodoo dolls. Anyone who votes for River of Dreams can expect to get some pains in the a$$! ;)

Wildthyme
02-05-2012, 09:35 PM
Gotta vote for Soul Searchin' this round...

Topkat
02-05-2012, 09:47 PM
Voting for

BRAVE NEW WORLD

whitcap
02-05-2012, 10:21 PM

Mrs Frey
02-06-2012, 06:18 AM
I cast my vote again for "River Of Dreams".
Soda, I am prepared for your voodoo dolls!!! :machinegun::sword::robinhood::saberfight:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :wink:

timfan
02-06-2012, 05:43 PM
I vote for Soul Searchin'

02-06-2012, 06:09 PM
Wow - most of the time, I find that I pretty much vote with the majority in the Survivor games, but this one has really got me baffled. I am truly amazed that Brave New World has survived the likes of Common Ground, The Heat Is On, This Way To Happiness, and soon to be, Soul Searchin'. And now, the gorgeous River of Dreams even has more votes this round than Brave New World. I'm really missing the boat here. :headscratch: :confused: I really like the song, but nowhere near as much as these others that I've mentioned. Oh well, I'm going to keep on tryin' ...

I emphatically cast my vote for Brave New World!!! :wink:

(And BTW whitcap - I love your sig too!)

UK TimFan
02-06-2012, 08:59 PM
In the last round it was a toss-up between two songs as to which one I voted for.
This time I'll vote for the other one which is Smuggler's blues.

sodascouts
02-06-2012, 09:00 PM
The next song to be eliminated from Glenn’s Solo Collection Survivor is Soul Searchin'. “Soul Searchin',” It's time to leave behind the game of yesterday; yes, it's time for you to go. Please leave the island immediately.

The rest of the songs may return to camp.

Votes
Soul Searchin’ – 7
River of Dreams – 4
Brave New World - 2
Smuggler's Blues - 1

Vote Breakdown
Soul Searchin' - Freypower
Soul Searchin' - Koala
Soul Searchin' - sodascouts
Soul Searchin' - Henley Honey
Soul Searchin' - Wildthyme
Soul Searchin' - timfan
River of Dreams - Glennnhoney
River of Dreams - TimothyBFan
River of Dreams - whitcap
Brave New World - Topkat
Smuggler's Blues - UK TimFan

Songs eliminated:
Sexy Girl 1/25
Common Ground 1/27
Call on Me 1/31
The Heat is On 2/02
Soul Searchin' 2/06

Songs remaining:
The One You Love
Smuggler's Blues
You Belong to the City
True Love
Part of Me, Part of You
I've Got Mine
River of Dreams
Brave New World

Voting for Round 8 begins now.

whitcap
02-06-2012, 09:02 PM

Freypower
02-06-2012, 09:27 PM
River Of Dreams is one of the most personal, introspective songs Glenn ever wrote, not to mention one of the most uplifting (and beautifully sung). I don't know why people have voted for it at this stage.

With great reluctance I vote for The One You Love. If ROD goes (which again, I can't believe) then I don't want Brave New World or I've Got Mine to go yet. The masterpiece which is the Strange Weather album should be represented for a bit longer by songs other than POMPOY.

sodascouts
02-06-2012, 09:39 PM
Oh, I adore "The One You Love"! I'd much rather lose "I've Got Mine" or even "True Love" first. It's "River of Dreams" that I fear for now ( to noone's surprise, lol).

We need a coalition. I may not be as good at this as Dreamer is, but I don't want the alternate to be "Brave New World." How does "I've Got Mine" sound?

02-06-2012, 09:54 PM
We need a coalition. I may not be as good at this as Dreamer is, but I don't want the alternate to be "Brave New World." How does "I've Got Mine" sound?

OMG - I'm gonna have to take you out now!!! :machinegun:

I'll tell you what sounds much better to my ear ...

Save River of Dreams!!!

Vote for Brave New World!!!

As far as I'm concerned the music and lyrics in Brave New World are trite compared to I've Got Mine. I've Got Mine is a masterfully done commentary on the "haves" and "have nots". Glenn gives a scathing tongue-lashing about wealth and greed and shows compassion for the underprivileged in this beautifully arranged song. Brave New World is not much more than another "love will keep us alive" message.

The Disco Strangler
02-06-2012, 10:09 PM
I'm enjoying watching this, and so glad to see Part of Me, Part of You still in the running.:rockguitar:

sodascouts
02-06-2012, 11:03 PM
Brave New World is not much more than another "love will keep us alive" message.

Wow. I know you don't like this song as much as others, but this if you really believe that "Brave New World" is just another love song, you've really missed the boat there. It is an epic, apocalyptic tale. To equate this with "Love Will Keep Us Alive" is a gross misrepresentation - and I say this as one who enjoys LWKUA. However, that's just my humble opinion.

"I've Got Mine" has an important message, but just like "Common Ground," message alone is not enough. When it comes to drama and excitement, I find "Brave New World" far more compelling. Of course I like "I've Got Mine" and recognize its quality but for me at least, it's not as enjoyable as "Brave New World."

Also, "I've Got Mine" is not the only song with a message. "Brave New World" is actually very original in its presentation of people rising from the ashes of devastation on a massive scale, even though it's not easy, even though they have to fight hard every step of the way. That's an important message, too, and it's not exactly typical fare. Protest songs decrying the plight of the poor, on the other hand, are fairly common.

Well, everyone judge for themselves between the two.

Freypower
02-06-2012, 11:17 PM
I always think Brave New World was written with the Bosnian war in mind; that war was going on at the time the album was recorded/released. At least that is what it reminds me of. The 'don't worry darlin' ' part is just an attempt to personalise it somewhat & is to me the weakest part of the song.

Out on the blue horizon, the clouds were rollin' in
The ground below was shaking with the risin' wind
I looked over my shoulder, said goodbye to my home
After today there'd be no turning back
We were on our own
Everyone had taken sides; the battle lines were drawn
We stared into the face of war
And waited for the dawn
Everything that we worked for
They took from our hands
We were left with no choice
But to stand up and fight for this land, this land

If that doesn't speak to you about a people's struggle for what is theirs, OK, but it certainly speaks to me.

We will travel the hard road to freedom
No matter how long, how long

Indeed.

Windeagle
02-06-2012, 11:28 PM
I agree, FP. Though the liner notes say the song was written after reading Stephen King's "The Stand," I think it would have been hard not to be influenced also by events going on in the world at the time.

02-06-2012, 11:41 PM
Okay Soda - I admit I may have been harsh calling the lyrics trite, but describing the song as "an epic, apocalyptic tale' of "people rising from the ashes of devastation" is a bit of an overly dramatic exaggeration to me. I didn't miss the boat - I get the message, I afraid I just don't view the song as the epic tale that you do. But, obviously, most people here in this game like the song a bit more than I do.

Koala
02-07-2012, 12:51 AM
I cast my vote for True Love

Mrs Frey
02-07-2012, 06:14 AM
Once again, I cast my vote for "River Of Dreams".

Henley Honey
02-07-2012, 07:59 AM
For me, the lyrics to Brave New World seem to be an anthem of sorts for 9/11. I'm probably personalizing it too much, but when I think of the words and put them into the context of that horrible day, I can all too easily understand the apocalyptic tale description. I think its an important song and it's too early to be voted off!

TimothyBFan
02-07-2012, 09:14 AM
Really like Brave New World & I've Got Mine but not as much as Part Of Me, Part Of You or True Love. For those questionong why those that are voting for ROD already....there's a simple reason why I am voting for ROD- it's my least favorote of the remaining. No inspriring words of persuasion, no analytical thoughts about the song. I'm pretty simple when it comes to these games.:hilarious:

I vote for River Of Dreams.

Brooke
02-07-2012, 11:10 AM
I'm like you Willie. I just can't go that far with it.

Another thing, I thought for sure that I voted yesterday, but I went back through the posts and it's not there. Strange. I know I typed it. Evidently something happened that sidetracked me here at work and I didn't hit post. :headscratch:

Anyway, these votes for the beautiful ROD baffles me. I know we have to pick something, but ROD? :cry:

I will continue voting for Brave New World. It just doesn't compare with the remaining songs for me. :shrug:

GlennLover
02-07-2012, 11:28 AM
Sorry I missed the last 2 rounds, but it was due to health reasons.

I don't want ROD to go yet either! This is so hard, but I would let BNW, POMPOY & IGM go before ROD even though I love them all! I will hold back on my vote for now to see how this unfolds.

SAVE 'RIVER OF DREAMS'!

sodascouts
02-07-2012, 12:48 PM
OK, it seems like we have enough Brave New World advocates to go with another choice for a coalition vote.

Since there are many votes for River of Dreams already, I highly recommend that anyone who wants to save it joins this coalition and votes for "I've Got Mine."

SAVE RIVER OF DREAMS!

VOTE I'VE GOT MINE!

In that spirit,

I cast my vote for "I've Got Mine."

timfan
02-07-2012, 01:06 PM
To try to save ROD....I vote for I've Got Mine! IMO this has been the hardest survivor ever!

Topkat
02-07-2012, 05:44 PM
Voting once again for :

BRAVE NEW WORLD

Henley Honey
02-07-2012, 06:29 PM
In the hopes of saving River of Dreams, I vote for I've Got Mine.

Glennsallnighter
02-07-2012, 07:14 PM
Soda, I can see everything you say about BNW so there's no point in repeating it. Let me however say that I read Stephen Kings 'The Stand' back in 1989 when I was working in Boston for a few months. I can totally understand the novel inspiring BNW.

It's a bit easier for me to vote this round and in an effort to save both of the songs in the Danger Zone, I vote for 'I've Got Mine' this round.

Oh and GL, I just LOVE your new av and signature. Hope you are feeling better.

02-07-2012, 07:27 PM
Okay folks ... seriously if you want to save River of Dreams, your best bet is to vote for Brave New World because if there is a tie Brave New World has the most previous votes. If River of Dreams and I've Got Mine tie, then River of Dreams still gets eliminated. Right now with the vote I am about to cast ROD, IGM, and BNW world each have 3 votes a piece, so ...

I urge everyone to join the coalition and vote for it too.

SAVE RIVER OF DREAMS!!!

VOTE FOR BRAVE NEW WORLD!!!

ETA: I guess GA and I were posting at the same time, so now I've Got Mine has 4 votes. But I still say vote for Brave New World because of the tiebreaker rule!!!

GlennLover
02-07-2012, 08:31 PM
I vote Brave New World

GlennLover
02-07-2012, 08:37 PM
Oh and GL, I just LOVE your new av and signature. Hope you are feeling better.

Thanks, GA. I actually made them last year. I'm feeling fine today, but with this inner ear disease, now I don't know from hour to hour how I will be. At least it isn't life threatening.

Sorry to take the thread off topic. Let's get back to this exciting round!

UK TimFan
02-07-2012, 10:01 PM
I like all three of 'I've got mine', 'River of dreams', and 'Brave new world', and so cannot vote for any of them.
I'm therefore back to tossing a coin as to which song of two to vote for, and this time my vote goes to 'Part of me, part of you'.

sodascouts
02-08-2012, 02:46 AM
ETA: I guess GA and I were posting at the same time, so now I've Got Mine has 4 votes. But I still say vote for Brave New World because of the tiebreaker rule!!!

We wouldn't need to worry about the tiebreaker rule if the coalition vote hadn't been split.

I hope this doesn't cost us River of Dreams.

Ah well. Whatever will be, will be! Let the chips fall where they may.

Wildthyme
02-08-2012, 07:33 AM
Having voted for it in the past I will vote again for Brave New World. This Survivor has got to be the hardest one yet!

Glennhoney
02-08-2012, 12:46 PM
okay I will give you Brave New World....for this round...:thud:

02-08-2012, 09:07 PM
In a nailbiter of a round, the next song to be eliminated from Glenn’s Solo Collection Survivor is Brave New World. “Brave New World” there’ll be no turning back as the tribe has spoken. Everything that you worked for has been taken from your hands and you must now leave the island immediately.

Votes
Brave New World – 6
I’ve Got Mine – 4
River of Dreams – 3
The One You Love – 1
True Love – 1
Part of Me, Part of You – 1

Vote Breakdown
Brave New World – Brooke
Brave New World – Topkat
Brave New World – Ive always been a dreamer
Brave New World – GlennLover
Brave New World – WildThyme
Brave New World – Glennhoney
I’ve Got Mine – sodascouts
I’ve Got Mine – timfan
I’ve Got Mine – Henley Honey
I’ve Got Mine – Glennsallnighter
River of Dreams – whitcap
River of Dreams – Mrs. Frey
River of Dreams – TimothyBFan
The One You Love – Freypower
True Love – Koala
Part of Me, Part of You – UK TimFan

Songs eliminated:
Sexy Girl 1/25
Common Ground 1/27
Call on Me 1/31
The Heat is On 2/02
Soul Searchin' 2/06
Brave New World 2/08

Songs remaining:
The One You Love
Smuggler's Blues
You Belong to the City
True Love
Part of Me, Part of You
I've Got Mine
River of Dreams

Voting for Round 9 begins now.

Glennhoney
02-08-2012, 09:21 PM
...sorry, but it's got to be "River of dreams" this time..

Freypower
02-08-2012, 09:50 PM
ROD may well go next. But it won't be voted for by me. I think it's close to perfection. :?

I vote for The One You Love.

timfan
02-08-2012, 10:05 PM
I vote for The One You Love and encourage others to do the same to save River of Dreams!

sodascouts
02-08-2012, 11:51 PM
What about "I've Got Mine"? "The One You Love" is gorgeous!

GlennLover
02-09-2012, 12:41 AM
I think that TOYL is close to perfection. It's also one of Glenn's favorites.

EaglesKiwi
02-09-2012, 02:40 AM
I'm joining in the game. I'm reasonably familiar with the remaining songs (but didn't feel I knew the other songs well enough to comment, so I've just been lurking on this thread :-?).

I vote for I've Got Mine. I like it - but not as much as The One You Love (awww) or River of Dreams (sigh).

Mrs Frey
02-09-2012, 06:11 AM
I'm still voting for "River Of Dreams".

I'm sorry to see "Brave New World" go so early - it's a great song.

TimothyBFan
02-09-2012, 08:09 AM
Sorry to see Brave New World Go.

I hope The One You Love can be saved this round!!

I once again will vote for River Of Dreams.

Topkat
02-09-2012, 09:14 AM
I'm going to have to go with

I'VE GOT MINE

02-09-2012, 10:18 AM
Well this game isn’t getting any easier – that’s for sure. I agree with what Freypower and timfan said about The One You Love. I like the song a lot and it is very pretty, indeed. But for me, I’ve Got Mine is a much more interesting song. It is gorgeous too. I love everything about it - the music, the lyrics, the vocals, the harmonies, and the arrangement. If we can form a coalition around The One You Love to save River of Dreams, I’ll definitely join in.

whitcap
02-09-2012, 05:13 PM

Freypower
02-09-2012, 05:46 PM
Well this game isn’t getting any easier – that’s for sure. I agree with what Freypower and timfan said about The One You Love. I like the song a lot and it is very pretty, indeed. But for me, I’ve Got Mine is a much more interesting song. It is gorgeous too. I love everything about it - the music, the lyrics, the vocals, the harmonies, and the arrangement. If we can form a coalition around The One You Love to save River of Dreams, I’ll definitely join in.

Great though it was to finally see TOYL live, I feel somewhat ambivalent about the song's lyrics. The situation where the woman is being asked to choose between two lovers is something I find hard to understand. I've Got Mine, on the other hand, is Glenn doing a (rare) piece of social commentary.

Koala
02-10-2012, 01:00 AM
I vote for True Love

02-10-2012, 01:31 AM
Okay - it seems like everyone is holding back on their vote. It's doubtful that I'll change my mind this round, so I'm going to vote earlier than I normally do in order to jump start an alliance here. River of Dreams has 4 votes, so those of us that want to save it should stick together here. I hate to do this, but at this point in the game, I don't want to see any songs voted off. But we must, so ...

I cast my vote for The One You Love.

Wildthyme
02-10-2012, 06:05 AM
My vote this round is for "The One You Love" to be eliminated...

UK TimFan
02-10-2012, 06:56 AM
Once again, I can't vote for one of my favourites to save another, so this time my vote is for 'Smuggler's blues'.

Glennsallnighter
02-10-2012, 08:13 AM
This round I vote for 'Ive Got Mine' to be eliminated. Quite simply because of the three songs under consideration it's just my least favourite.

Let me clarify too. Ive voted for this song a bit. It's not that I don't like it. In fact since hearing it first it has grown on me a lot. And I don't feel it's in any way inferior to any of Glenn :heart:'s other work. It just never gelled with me as immediately as his other songs did.

Brooke
02-10-2012, 03:36 PM
I will join the coalition and vote for The One You Love. Oh how it hurts me cause I love it. :cry:

Trouble is, I love all the rest of the songs, but ROD is way too wonderful to go yet. TOYL is next on my list since THIO and TWTH have already gone down. :sad:

Henley Honey
02-10-2012, 06:06 PM
I've Got Mine gets my vote.

sodascouts
02-10-2012, 08:56 PM
I cast my vote for "I've Got Mine."

sodascouts
02-10-2012, 09:00 PM
In another super-close round, the next song to be eliminated from Glenn’s Solo Collection Survivor is I've Got Mine. “I've Got Mine,” you can't be saved by money. The tribe has spoken. It's time for you to go. Please leave the island immediately.

The rest of the songs may return to camp.

Votes
I’ve Got Mine – 5
The One You Love – 5
River of Dreams – 4
True Love – 1
Smuggler's Blues – 1

Tiebreaker:
I've Got Mine - 6
The One You Love - 2

Vote Breakdown
I've Got Mine - EaglesKiwi
I've Got Mine - Topkat
I’ve Got Mine – Glennsallnighter
I’ve Got Mine – Henley Honey
I've Got Mine - sodascouts
The One You Love – Freypower
The One You Love - timfan
The One You Love - Ive always been a dreamer
The One You Love - Wildthyme
The One You Love - Brooke
River of Dreams - Glennhoney
River of Dreams - TimothyBFan
River of Dreams - whitcap
True Love - Koala
Smuggler's Blues - UK TimFan

Songs eliminated:
Sexy Girl 1/25
Common Ground 1/27
Call on Me 1/31
The Heat is On 2/02
Soul Searchin' 2/06
Brave New World 2/08
I've Got Mine 2/10

Songs remaining:
The One You Love
Smuggler's Blues
You Belong to the City
True Love
Part of Me, Part of You
River of Dreams

Voting for Round 10 begins now.

Topkat
02-10-2012, 09:07 PM
That was a close one. It's going to get really rough the next few rounds. I have no idea what to vote for???:headscratch:

Freypower
02-10-2012, 09:08 PM
I will continue to vote for The One You Love.

sodascouts
02-10-2012, 09:14 PM
My least favorite of what is left is True Love, but I'm not quite ready to vote yet.