PDA

View Full Version : Glenn Frey on Miami Vice

sodascouts
02-01-2012, 09:45 PM
Today is the anniversary of the broadcast of Glenn's appearance on Miami Vice. In another thread, I mentioned how I bought the entire first season of Miami Vice just to view that one episode.

Well, guess what, guys! I found out today that you can stream the single episode for only $1.99 in high definition rather than have to buy the whole season to see it! Follow the link below to enjoy!

http://www.amazon.com/Smugglers-Blues/dp/B000W4QIAK

Ive always been a dreamer
02-01-2012, 10:11 PM
Very cool! I already have it, but if I didn't, it would definitely be worth $1.99 to see it. It is very entertaining, IMHO.

GlennLover
02-01-2012, 10:17 PM
Wish I had time to watch it tonight :weep:

chaim
02-02-2012, 07:55 AM
I'm a Miami Vice fan. Great atmosphere, music and characters. And Glenn makes it even cooler! I love Glenn's performance in that episode.

Glennsallnighter
02-02-2012, 01:24 PM
Whose betting it's not available here?

UK TimFan
02-02-2012, 01:57 PM
Whose betting it's not available here?
And definitely not for $1.99. :smile:
Or even £1.99.

(Or possibly even 1.99 Euros?)

sodascouts
02-02-2012, 02:10 PM
Geez, you think these guys would get with the program and make things available outside of North America. In the internet era, we are a global community now more than ever.

Along those lines... Sorry for only listing it in U.S. dollars. We are such an international board that converting it to the different monetary units of various members is a bit too time-consuming!

UK TimFan
02-02-2012, 03:10 PM
Geez, you think these guys would get with the program and make things available outside of North America. In the internet era, we are a global community now more than ever.

Along those lines... Sorry for only listing it in U.S. dollars. We are such an international board that converting it to the different monetary units of various members is a bit too time-consuming!
I never expected you to go that far, Soda. :smile:
My comment was a reference to the fact that in the UK we are unlikely to get it for the equivalent of $1.99 (currently about £1.26) or even £1.99 (currently about $3.15). Then I suddenly realised that I couldn't remember if GA lived in Northern Ireland or Eire, so had to add Euros as well. :grin:

There is quite a difference in costs between the US and UK. e.g. download of a single song from Expando in the US - 99cents. Equivalent cost in the UK - $1.40.

Glennsallnighter
02-02-2012, 07:04 PM
I'm in the Republic UKTF! So its Euros! To be honest though $1.99 would be quite reasonable for me to stream it however it translates!

Thanks for the conversions though!

EaglesKiwi
02-03-2012, 05:22 AM
There is quite a difference in costs between the US and UK. e.g. download of a single song from Expando in the US - 99cents. Equivalent cost in the UK - $1.40.
And in NZ that same song would cost the equivalent of US$1.99 - so double the price for virtually no additional cost to iTunes. :cuss:

And no it's not available overseas: here's the extract from Amazon Instant Video Terms of Use:
6. LIMITED TO U.S.
Due to restrictions placed on us by our content providers, we are currently only able to make the Service available to customers located in the United States. We regret that you may not use the Service if you are outside of the United States. "United States" refers to the 48 contiguous United States, the District of Columbia, Alaska and Hawaii.

:tonguewag::cuss:

sodascouts
02-03-2012, 01:51 PM
That stinks! I just watched it last night and he's really good in it. When I first saw it, I didn't realize he was having a crazy Vietnam flashback when he was telling Crockett to shoot the street thugs. Once I got the show in high quality and saw his face - I got it. It added a whole new level to it.

I know this is a poor substitute, but you can see a few short clips here:

http://www.glennfreyonline.com/solo/moviestv/miamivice.htm

Windeagle
02-03-2012, 02:07 PM
That stinks! I just watched it last night and he's really good in it. When I first saw it, I didn't realize he was having a crazy Vietnam flashback when he was telling Crockett to shoot the street thugs. Once I got the show in high quality and saw his face - I got it. It added a whole new level to it.

I know this is a poor substitute, but you can see a few short clips here:

http://www.glennfreyonline.com/solo/moviestv/miamivice.htm

I love his performance in that episode. My favorite scene is the one where he and Crockett are back in the room, talking about how many buddies they lost in Vietnam. You just want to give him a hug.

sodascouts
02-03-2012, 02:34 PM
I know. That whole segment is great - it's one of the two I have on the site. When they come in, Glenn's character Jimmy is so blase about Tubbs being captured that he's lighting up a cigarette when Crockett comes out of nowhere, throws him against the wall in anger and frustration, and Jimmy barely reacts. He doesn't even let his cigarette drop. He just talks Crockett down and that's when you find out that his attitude comes from seeing so many friends die in Vietnam.

You know, this is a bit off-topic, but it seems the entertainment industry today for the most part doesn't want to go there with the veterans of the wars in the Middle East. Yeah, it's discussed on the news, but you don't have characters in shows talking about it. By contrast, I remember in the 80s, every drama had a Vietnam vet in it and some were the stars (Miami Vice, Magnum PI, etc). Heck, The A-Team was built around it. I wonder if we'll get shows like that once we have more distance from the wars in the Gulf, or if the entertainment industry will continue to shy away from the issue. After all, the attitudes towards servicemen now is a lot different than the attitudes towards them in the 60s and 70s. They don't get spit on by protestors anymore.

Windeagle
02-03-2012, 04:40 PM
I know. That whole segment is great - it's one of the two I have on the site. When they come in, Glenn's character Jimmy is so blase about Tubbs being captured that he's lighting up a cigarette when Crockett comes out of nowhere, throws him against the wall in anger and frustration, and Jimmy barely reacts. He doesn't even let his cigarette drop. He just talks Crockett down and that's when you find out that his attitude comes from seeing so many friends die in Vietnam.

You know, this is a bit off-topic, but it seems the entertainment industry today for the most part doesn't want to go there with the veterans of the wars in the Middle East. Yeah, it's discussed on the news, but you don't have characters in shows talking about it. By contrast, I remember in the 80s, every drama had a Vietnam vet in it and some were the stars (Miami Vice, Magnum PI, etc). Heck, The A-Team was built around it. I wonder if we'll get shows like that once we have more distance from the wars in the Gulf, or if the entertainment industry will continue to shy away from the issue. After all, the attitudes towards servicemen now is a lot different than the attitudes towards them in the 60s and 70s. They don't get spit on by protestors anymore.

I think it's the 20-year cycle. M.A.S.H., about Korea, came out in the 70s. In the 80s, they started talking about Vietnam, including putting out shows like China Beach and Tour of Duty. We might have a little way to go yet timewise before they'll come around to the various Gulf wars and Afghanistan.

The Disco Strangler
02-06-2012, 10:12 PM
That sounds like a really good episode. I wish we had Miami Vice reruns on the TV.

mustangkim11
04-30-2012, 08:53 PM
I just rented Disc 5-Season 1 of Miami Vice just to see this episode with Glenn in it. Whew! The heat coming out of my TV when he came onscreen! Lord have mercy! Fan me off.

Seriously though, he was good on that show. I just wished that he could have made it to the end.

UndertheWire
09-20-2013, 10:14 AM
In the UK, it's possible to rent just Disc 6 of Series 1, which is the one with Smuggler's Blues.

There's a writeup of the episode at CHUD: http://www.chud.com/51327/the-miami-vice-experience-15/

(I'm still working my way through Eagles history).

Henley Honey
12-11-2013, 04:43 PM
At 4 PM today, on an obscure channel called "Esquire" The Smuggler's Blues episode is being re-aired. I'm watching while I write out my Christmas cards. :thumbsup:

Brooke
12-11-2013, 05:22 PM
So, 4:00 your time is 3 here and I'm still at work! Dang!

shunlvswx
12-11-2013, 05:38 PM
Darn!!! I'm heading home at that time.

Henley Honey
12-11-2013, 06:03 PM
My favorite line -- when "Jimmy" is talking about his plane:

"She may look like a cow, but she runs like a stallion." :hilarious:

Henley Honey
12-11-2013, 06:10 PM
So, 4:00 your time is 3 here and I'm still at work! Dang!

That's one advantage of working from home!

HenleyFan1971
12-11-2013, 07:08 PM
I got the first season on Miami Vice on DVD at a used book store for 6.00 and the episode is there very cool to see him on there

shunlvswx
12-11-2013, 08:45 PM
I don't know if everybody has the Centric channel, but Smuggler's Blues is coming on again on that channel at 9:00am (this is Central time) on December 16th. I DVD'd it so I will watch it on Monday when I get home from work. That's what my guide said when I was looking up Miami Vice.

sodascouts
12-11-2013, 09:50 PM
I bought the entire Season 1 DVD set of Miami Vice for this one episode. I love it!

Back in the day I wasn't allowed to watch the show because mom thought it was too full of sex, drugs, and violence... so watching this was the first time I had seen ANY Miami Vice episode EVER. Not a bad little show.

shunlvswx
12-11-2013, 09:57 PM
Its funny. My mother wouldn't let me listening to pop, rock or country music growing up. I could only listen to rap and R&B, but she was ok for me to watch the A-Team, Miami Vice, Dallas and The Dukes of Hazard. I didn't get that. Eeven though, I was like in elementary school when most of these shows were on air or about to end, I remembered watching some of those new episodes.

Even though I was way too young to even watch Miami Vice, I think it was ok.

sodascouts
12-11-2013, 10:05 PM
Isn't it funny the lines they draw? I could listen to country or Christian contemporary, but no rock, pop, nothing like that until I was 10. Then I could listen to rock on the radio but I couldn't buy it without permission. I wasn't allowed to watch MTV either.

As far as TV shows, I was allowed to watch The Dukes of Hazard and the A-Team, but only after Mom gave us a lecture about how despite what these TV shows portrayed, the police were our friends. ;) Dallas, Dynasty, those kind of shows... forget it! Basically, any shows were off-limits which showed people having sex, getting killed, or doing drugs (stunningly, on the A-Team, nobody ever died. Who knew it was so hard to hit people with a machine gun.) After 13, though, I could watch whatever I wanted on TV. Mom and Dad were on the other side of the world! lol

Actually, looking back, I think it's pretty sweet that she cared enough to be so diligent.

But I digress! The "Smuggler's Blues" episode is pretty violent, when you think about it. It's also interesting in that it makes you feel bad for the drug dealers whose families get blown up, rather than having the more straightforward drug-dealer-bad-guy (although we get a couple of those, too).

shunlvswx
12-11-2013, 10:16 PM
I didn't start listening to country, rock and pop until I was 14, but I still wasn't allowed to go to a country show. And then going to an all black school growing up, you didn't want to say you like to listen to country, rock or pop. LOL

You know. I don't remember Glenn on Miami Vice, but I definitely remembered YBTTC. I also remembered him in Wise Guy, but that's another story. LOL

Glennsallnighter
12-12-2013, 06:15 AM
I don't know if everybody has the Centric channel, but Smuggler's Blues is coming on again on that channel at 9:00am (this is Central time) on December 16th. I DVD'd it so I will watch it on Monday when I get home from work. That's what my guide said when I was looking up Miami Vice.

Do you have sky? And if so what channel is it and I can record it on the box.

The only thing my Mom wasn't happy with us watching was Dallas, and even then by the age of 12 I was babysitting for neighbours most Saturday nights anyway! AND they had colour TV (We only had B&W!). At that point she gave in! As regards music there were no restrictions but our supply was limited enough as my parents were more into Classical music and at the time pop music was expensive to buy (even with Babysitting money!lol)

Brooke
12-12-2013, 11:05 AM
Its funny. My mother wouldn't let me listening to pop, rock or country music growing up. I could only listen to rap and R&B, but she was ok for me to watch the A-Team, Miami Vice, Dallas and The Dukes of Hazard. I didn't get that. Eeven though, I was like in elementary school when most of these shows were on air or about to end, I remembered watching some of those new episodes.

Even though I was way too young to even watch Miami Vice, I think it was ok.

You could listen to rap? I think that's the absolute worst music of all! If you can call it music! jmo!

I'm thinking I'll just have to buy the season dvd......

shunlvswx
12-12-2013, 11:13 AM
You could listen to rap? I think that's the absolute worst music of all! If you can call it music! jmo!

I don't listen to rap anymore. I stopped listening to rap when it was getting very dirty and too much cursing. I like old school from the 80s to early 90s. Now today's rap, I hate.

shunlvswx
12-12-2013, 12:04 PM
Do you have sky? And if so what channel is it and I can record it on the box.

The only thing my Mom wasn't happy with us watching was Dallas, and even then by the age of 12 I was babysitting for neighbours most Saturday nights anyway! AND they had colour TV (We only had B&W!). At that point she gave in! As regards music there were no restrictions but our supply was limited enough as my parents were more into Classical music and at the time pop music was expensive to buy (even with Babysitting money!lol)

Sorry, GAN. I don't have Sky. I'm in the US.

12-12-2013, 03:05 PM
Thanks for reviving this thread, HH. I'm sure it's going to shock everyone, but I love Glenn in this show. I need to spend some time again soon re-watching Glenn in some of his acting roles. BTW - I love how in the HOTE doc, when Don is talking about MTV and says something like, I'm a singer and a songwriter - I didn't want to be an actor ... Then the camera immediately switches to HH's favorite scene of Glenn acting in this show. Very subtle, huh? :thumbsup:

UndertheWire
12-12-2013, 06:43 PM
The power of suggestion. Just a mention of it being on the tv was enough for me to check out the price of a used copy and my hand slipped. (Under £5 including postage).

zeldabjr
12-14-2013, 06:20 PM

I just looked and I do get Centric...I'm excited...I've never seen Glenn in any of his acting roles...can't wait to see it!!

shunlvswx
12-16-2013, 08:37 AM
If you have the Centric channel, don't forget that Smuggler's Blues will be on this morning at 10:00am Eastern/9:00am Central. I have my DVR set to record while I'm at work.

Brooke
12-16-2013, 02:59 PM
The power of suggestion. Just a mention of it being on the tv was enough for me to check out the price of a used copy and my hand slipped. (Under £5 including postage).

:lol:

Of course I forgot to even check to see if I had the station! Too busy a weekend for me! :roll:

sodascouts
02-02-2014, 12:05 AM
We were talking about this in a couple of other threads and I just found it on NBC's official site to stream for free, if anyone would like to do so:

http://www.nbc.com/classic-tv/miami-vice/video/smugglers-blues/n30552

Midnight Visitor
02-02-2014, 11:27 AM
Thanks Soda! I've been wanting to see this again.

Brooke
02-02-2014, 11:37 AM
Thanks Soda! I'll have to try to watch that too!

shunlvswx
02-02-2014, 03:10 PM
I just notice that yesterday was the 29th Anniversary of the episode of Smuggler's Blues. I still have it recorded on my DVR. I'm watching it now. This episode came out two days before my birthday.

Brooke
02-01-2015, 02:37 PM
Just saw on Facebook that today is the 30th anniversary of Glenn on Miami Vice!

Wow!

02-01-2015, 02:46 PM
Wow! 30 years ... If I didn't know better, I'd think I was getting old!!! :sad:

And thanks for the heads up, Brooke. This is listed on the board calendar, but isn't showing at the bottom of the board in 'Today in Eagles History'. Maybe it will show up later in the day.

sodascouts
02-01-2015, 03:41 PM
I have to update that by hand and some days I don't do it at midnight. It's hard to always be diligent. However, just as it's been on the site calendar for years, it's been listed on my blog for years. Apologies for the fact that I didn't update it last night.

Plus, I had to let Pebble Beach sit at the bottom for a while. ;)

shunlvswx
02-02-2015, 12:42 AM
Happy 30th Anniversary tothe Smuggler's Blues episode. I still have the episode on my DVR from 2013. I'm watching it now.

Houston Baby
03-19-2015, 04:13 PM
The "Smuggler's Blues" episode is on COZI TV tonight - 10:00 Central Time.

chaim
04-06-2015, 05:29 PM
I wish Glenn had done more roles like that. Or maybe it's good that he didn't, because it makes his Miami Vice appearance more special. As I said before, I think, I'm a Miami Vice fan. Glenn is so cool in that episode that there are no words to describe it.

sodascouts
04-06-2015, 08:11 PM
Yeah - I'm always conflicted about the acting career. I would have loved to see him in more roles, but not at the cost of getting less music.

Glennsallnighter
04-07-2015, 05:38 AM
I would have liked to have seen him in more acting roles too, I'm very impressed with what he has done so far, particularly South of Sunset and Miami Vice, but in saying that I think his true vocation is to the music and to his singing. I'm lucky to have seen him sing 3 solo shows and would love to catch another one some time.

chaim
04-07-2015, 08:38 AM
Although Glenn was very good in emotional scenes too (the SOS custody episode, the scene where he's walking with his old girlfriend), I think he had a natural gift for comical stuff. Like Phil Collins. When he's funny in SOS it doesn't look like he has worked on it. He is funny.

Freypower
04-07-2015, 06:51 PM
I am a Wiseguy person. I am glad the acting stopped. He's good in MV but I regard it as a novelty.

04-12-2015, 12:53 PM
I'm with most of you all in that I enjoy watching Glenn act. I think he was really good in all of the parts he played. He, obviously, had some potential because he continued to be offered roles. But, he has said music has always been closest to his heart, and, also like most of you, I am grateful for that. I remember several years ago when he was offered the role of Billy Flynn in the Broadway production of Chicago, but he turned it down because he said the success of Long Road Out of Eden dictated everything he did for the next year. I love a man who has his priorities straight. :wink: :grin:

Fleurette767
05-12-2015, 02:38 PM
I don't have much to add except I remember Glenn being on there and I thought he did a great job. He was also very handsome, charismatic, seemed comfortable (not awkward) saying the lines and hitting the marks so I had no problem with him doing acting and music.

Glenn would have been incredible as Flynn in Chicago. Glenn could steal the show so maybe they were worried about that? It's funny that a number of current musicians (mostly rap stars) are just fine splitting music and acting careers. Back then, an established musician also acting was a novelty and it was probably difficult to get roles. It seems now days these producers probably know that musicians bring an ready-make audience (their fans) to the movies/tv shows, etc. and might even seek them out.

AlreadyGone95
05-20-2015, 01:20 AM
I finally got to watch the whole episode earlier, and I :heart: it. First off, let me say that to me, Glenn was at his absolute hottest ever in that episode. :drool: :smitten:. I was drooling all over my cell phone. I had seen the first part of the episode(up until Don Johnson's character shoved him against the wall ), and was already infatuated, but now it's more like I can't speak cause he's so good looking. I wish that I knew how to make signatures because I'd love to have a photo of him from that episode as mine.
As for Glenn's acting, I think that he did a great job, particularly in the scene after Tubbs was caught. I haven't seen any of his other work, but I sure need to.

I only have one problem with the episode, the fact that they left Jimmy hanging with "I'm ok". Since Jimmy was shot, shouldn't they at least show him going to the hospital or (I hate to type these words) dying like in the Smuggler's Blues video?

UndertheWire
05-20-2015, 05:21 AM
I only have one problem with the episode, the fact that they left Jimmy hanging with "I'm ok". Since Jimmy was shot, shouldn't they at least show him going to the hospital or (I hate to type these words) dying like in the Smuggler's Blues video?
What I've gleaned from somewhere (probably Miami Vice fansites) is that the script originally had Jimmy die in the shootout but the producers liked the character/Glenn enough that they decided to let him live. He was due to make a reappearance in a later episode but Glenn was unavailable. When Crockett and Tubbs went to the hangar there was a different pilot who told them that after his experience, Jimmy had decided to retire. So a happy ending except for those of us who wanted to see Jimmy fly again.

See if you can stream "Let's Get Harry" from somewhere like Amazon.

AlreadyGone95
05-20-2015, 11:37 AM
What I've gleaned from somewhere (probably Miami Vice fansites) is that the script originally had Jimmy die in the shootout but the producers liked the character/Glenn enough that they decided to let him live. He was due to make a reappearance in a later episode but Glenn was unavailable. When Crockett and Tubbs went to the hangar there was a different pilot who told them that after his experience, Jimmy had decided to retire. So a happy ending except for those of us who wanted to see Jimmy fly again.

See if you can stream "Let's Get Harry" from somewhere like Amazon.

Well, that makes me feel better. Thanks UTW!

Jimmy was a likeable character who "only flies the planes". I was hoping that they didn't kill him off. It would've been cool to see him in another episode, but I think that the one off makes this episode even cooler or more special.

I'll look for Let's Get Harry on Amazon later this afternoon.

AlreadyGone95
05-30-2015, 11:28 PM
I rewatched this episode tonight because I bought the first season of the show a few days ago. I'm curious about something. As the episode concludes, Smuggler's Blues plays again, but this time, it's an acoustic version. Did Glenn ever release an acoustic version of the song?

Freypower
05-31-2015, 01:19 AM
I rewatched this episode tonight because I bought the first season of the show a few days ago. I'm curious about something. As the episode concludes, Smuggler's Blues plays again, but this time, it's an acoustic version. Did Glenn ever release an acoustic version of the song?

Good question. No, he didn't, but he reworked the song & slowed the tempo in live shows in more recent years.

AlreadyGone95
05-31-2015, 11:12 AM
Good question. No, he didn't, but he reworked the song & slowed the tempo in live shows in more recent years.
Well, I'm kind of disappointed. After hearing that snippet, I think that I would like an acoustic version of the song. Is there any video of him playing the slower tempo?

05-31-2015, 11:49 AM
I don't remember off the top of my head, but you can check out the 'Live Treats' and 'Fun Stuff' Downloads that Soda has available on GlennFreyOnline ...

http://www.glennfreyonline.com/downloads.htm

sodascouts
05-31-2015, 08:06 PM
I ripped the audio from the DVD and uploaded it to this page (http://www.glennfreyonline.com/downloads/multimediafunstuffaudio.htm) (scroll down).

AlreadyGone95
05-31-2015, 08:14 PM
I ripped the audio from the DVD and uploaded it to this page (http://www.glennfreyonline.com/downloads/multimediafunstuffaudio.htm) (scroll down).

Thanks Soda!

AlreadyGone95
07-10-2015, 11:49 AM
Well, some station here (called FETV) plays an episode of Miami Vice every weekday night at 11 pm. Guess what episode is on tonight? :partytime: :D.

Since my uncle is a Miami Vice fan and an Eagles fan, we're making an afternoon/evening of it. We'll probably watch HoTE, F1 or Live in Dublin before the shows comes on :). :D (it's nice to have a family member who's willing to sit through stuff with ya)

shunlvswx
02-01-2016, 01:40 PM
Happy 31st Birthday to the Smuggler's Blues episode. Of course its been played a lot since Glenn's death, but its nice to see it.

We almost share a birthday. I was about to turn 5 when this episode came out two days before my birthday. I'm going to watch it later.

AlreadyGone95
02-01-2016, 01:47 PM
Happy 31st anniversary to the Smuggler's Blues Miami Vice episode! As I've stated elsewhere, it was seeing the episode in early May of last year that catapulted me into a hard core Glenn Frey fan. Not only do I love the episode, but to me Glenn looked his absolute hottest in it.

Outlawman13
02-01-2016, 04:39 PM
I love this episode!!! LOL Glenn sure does play the part!! MMMM he is smoking hot in there too!! I might have to watch this tonight!

JennyCH
02-03-2016, 05:05 PM
He was so super hot on this show and I was in high school and remember this episode. Also liked him on South of Sunset for the few episodes; he did great with that not-so-strong material there. He had great charisma.

shunlvswx
02-01-2017, 10:03 AM
Happy 32nd Birthday to the Smuggler's Blues episode. I know what to watch today.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/25/fe/1a/25fe1ac2bae1ffc2251014b753154497.jpg

sodascouts
02-01-2017, 09:37 PM
He was adorable in this. Too had he couldn't revisit the role.

shunlvswx
08-07-2017, 06:27 PM
If you have the El Rey channel, Glenn's Miami Vice episode, Smuggler's Blues will be on tomorrow morning at 7:00am Eastern/6:00am Central.

priscillaupstate
08-07-2017, 07:22 PM
Thanks. I checked and I have that network (and didn't know it).

Dawn
08-07-2017, 07:57 PM
Here's Glenn playing Smugglers Blues 1994 ... what a performance ... freaking great!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6r8iij_IGDU

New Kid In Town
08-08-2017, 01:11 AM
Don't think my cable company has this channel either. Missed the special shown a couple of months ago because I did not get that channel.:x

Dawn
08-08-2017, 02:24 AM
Seems Glenn was a natural at acting, I loved him in the Miami Vice episode and Jerry Maguire. Didn't see the Arli$$ episode he was in so I can't comment but I did see a clip of South of Sunset and frankly I was disappointed in the casting and writing.

buffyfan145
08-08-2017, 10:47 AM
We get the channel too and I've actually been rewatching some recently since the news broke last week NBC is rebooting the show for the 2018/19 season. It'll be interesting to see who they cast as modern day Crockett and Tubbs, and if they'll go the route of "Hawaii Five-0" and other recent reboots and add back in some of the recurring characters from the original. I remember Glenn's character was supposed to be a Vietnam vet that served with Crockett and they originally wanted him to recur but it never worked out, so I could easily see this episode being redone in the new version with drug smuggling still a huge problem but having them be vets from Iraq/Afghanistan and have Glenn's character stick around like they wanted. Then again we have so little on the new version of the show but I could see them adding this in if they wanted to.

shunlvswx
08-08-2017, 10:53 AM
I used to watch Miami Vice a lot on El Rey Network every morning then they showing Miami Vice for a while. I think they just started back showing Miami Vice. I was just checking the guide and notice Miami Vice was back and Smuggler's Blues was coming on this morning. Too bad the Heroes & Icons channel doesn't show Glenn's arc.

shunlvswx
02-01-2018, 11:07 AM
Happy 33rd Birthday to the Smuggler's Blues episode. This episode and I Can't Tell You Why are very close to my birthday.

I will pop my DVD in to watch this episode.

02-01-2018, 02:47 PM
Good idea, shun. I may try to carve out an hour today and do the same.

Dawn
02-01-2018, 08:09 PM
Where have I been ... I just learned Glenn's first wife Janie played the smuggler's female accomplice.

Freypower
02-01-2018, 08:10 PM
Where have I been ... I just learned Glenn's first wife Janie played his female friend.

Janie Frey appears in the video for Smuggler's Blues, not the Miami Vice episode.

Dawn
02-01-2018, 08:11 PM
Janie Frey appears in the video for Smuggler's Blues, not the Miami Vice episode.

Oh, thanks! I thought that was a little weird.

New Kid In Town
02-01-2018, 09:42 PM
I loved Miami Vice and Glenn was so hot in the episode ! I wish I got one of the stations it has been shown on lately. For someone who had never acted before, it came naturally to him.

buffyfan145
02-01-2018, 10:55 PM
I totally agree and he did a great job for his first acting role. One of my favorite eps of the show.

Dawn
02-01-2018, 11:30 PM
it seemed to me Glenn had many interests and was genuinely multi-talented. His friends described him as whip smart and a quick study. Not afraid to "wade in" and try something new whether it was related to music, acting, teaching, etc. He was also a darn good storyteller. I loved him in Jerry Maguire. He was perfect for that role. I wish SOS had been given more time to develop and find the right time slot because it seemed there was some real potential there.

sodascouts
02-03-2018, 08:24 PM
I found the bit in the hotel room with Crockett where they talked about Vietnam really compelling. This, and other roles, showed he had what it took to be an actor.

On the other hand, I think he was a better musician that an actor, and if his career as an actor had succeeded, we wouldn't' have had Hell Freezes Over and the ensuing Eagles resumption.

But he had the skills. A man of many talents.

Houston Baby
02-24-2018, 01:21 PM
"Smuggler's Blues" will be on Cosi TV at 3:00 p m. Central time today.
My lunch with friends better be over in time to get home! :nod:

Pippinwhite
03-15-2018, 09:40 AM
Caught the episode, FINALLY! (DVR'ed it last week.) We never watched "Miami Vice" because it was on at the same time as "Dallas" and my mom was a "Dallas" addict. LOLOL. I actually have the Smuggler's Blues 45 around somewhere. I played it incessantly. Heh.

The episode was good, and Glenn was obviously having a blast with it. My two favorite tidbits: when he slides down the pole in the hangar (hysterical), and gargling with the beer. I have a feeling that was taken from reality. LOLOLOLOL. But I enjoyed it.

New Kid In Town
03-15-2018, 11:50 AM
Caught the episode, FINALLY! (DVR'ed it last week.) We never watched "Miami Vice" because it was on at the same time as "Dallas" and my mom was a "Dallas" addict. LOLOL. I actually have the Smuggler's Blues 45 around somewhere. I played it incessantly. Heh.

The episode was good, and Glenn was obviously having a blast with it. My two favorite tidbits: when he slides down the pole in the hangar (hysterical), and gargling with the beer. I have a feeling that was taken from reality. LOLOLOLOL. But I enjoyed it.

I loved that episode of Miami Vice ! I have not seen it since it was on tv. I don't get Cosi tv - I have never heard of it !

Pippinwhite
03-15-2018, 02:47 PM
Cozi TV has shows from the 70s-80s. Kind of depends on your cable system. Soda has the clip of Glenn sliding down the pole on her site. LOLOL.

I can usually catch an episode of "The Rockford Files" on there, too.

New Kid In Town
03-15-2018, 07:24 PM
Cozi TV has shows from the 70s-80s. Kind of depends on your cable system. Soda has the clip of Glenn sliding down the pole on her site. LOLOL.
I can usually catch an episode of "The Rockford Files" on there, too.

Thanks Pippin. I always loved the Rockford Files. I get some station called "Me TV" that does old shows from the 60's and a station called "Generations" that shows shows from the 70's & 80's. No Miami Vice though.

shunlvswx
02-01-2019, 09:13 AM
Happy 34th Birthday to Glenn's Smuggler's Blues episode.

Pippinwhite
02-01-2019, 09:51 AM
"Hey Blood! Take five!" :D

CAinOH
02-01-2019, 10:45 AM
"I don't come cheap ya know... I take you where you wanna go, wait so long, then I'm a memory... Oh, and I don't have an "S" on my chest. I'm down with you cats if the play calls for it, but otherwise... I ain't into violence."

https://www.rollingstone.com/tv/tv-news/flashback-glenn-frey-makes-acting-debut-on-miami-vice-201148/

shunlvswx
02-01-2019, 11:20 AM
I'm trying to figure out what Glenn's character actually do. Does he help drug smugglers fly somewhere or just a plain old pilot?

CAinOH
02-01-2019, 11:32 AM
I'm trying to figure out what Glenn's character actually do. Does he help drug smugglers fly somewhere or just a plain old pilot?

I think he's just a pilot who doesn't ask questions.

Pippinwhite
02-01-2019, 01:37 PM
"Fine, fine. I ask you no questions and you tell me no lies, Right?"

"Dynamite."

sodascouts
02-02-2019, 11:58 AM
"I'm down with you cats if the play calls for it, but otherwise... I ain't into violence."

My fave line. So 70s! Here's a clip of it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yiihxkda8sQ

shunlvswx
02-01-2021, 10:22 AM
Happy 36th Birthday to the Smuggler's Blues episode. I'm watching it right now. I found it on DailyMotion.

02-01-2021, 06:52 PM
Thanks for that, shun. Wow - 36 years old.

BTW - You can now stream all episodes of Miami Vice on nbc.com. Here's the link for the Smuggler's Blues episode ...

https://www.nbc.com/classic-tv/miami-vice/video/smugglers-blues/n30552

New Kid In Town
02-02-2021, 01:18 PM
Thanks for that, shun. Wow - 36 years old.

BTW - You can now stream all episodes of Miami Vice on nbc.com. Here's the link for the Smuggler's Blues episode ...

https://www.nbc.com/classic-tv/miami-vice/video/smugglers-blues/n30552

Wow, I can not believe it has been 36 years ! thanks for posting the link.

KingWalsh
02-03-2021, 09:36 AM
I love Miami Vice, all the cameos , guest stars etc. I love this episode! Obvious reasons. Can’t believe 36 yrs!! Thanks Shun! I’ll have to check NBC out last time I checked they were locked. Awesome news Dreamer!

New Kid In Town
02-03-2021, 12:13 PM
I love Miami Vice, all the cameos , guest stars etc. I love this episode! Obvious reasons. Can’t believe 36 yrs!! Thanks Shun! I’ll have to check NBC out last time I checked they were locked. Awesome news Dreamer!

Hi KW - I was a big Miami Vice fan too. I always thought Don Johnson was so cute(PMT was good looking too). I remember when that episode was on, I remember thinking Glenn did a great job. I will have to check it out.

Elle81
03-15-2021, 12:27 AM
Finally sat down and watched this episode. Not really fond of crime drama tv shows, but the plot line pf this episode was solid enough to keep me interested. And I loved all the guest stars on that episode. Saw quite a few I knew and kept saying "hey I know that guy!". However I had to laugh at some of Glenn's lines and that awkward slide down the fireman's pole. :laugh:

KingWalsh
03-19-2021, 03:56 AM
It’s a great episode....too bad none of the other guys were on. NKIT, ya they were good looking. It’s funny I get a kick out of the outfits ha ha especially some of the girls. Elle, I love crime shows, glad you enjoyed it.

shunlvswx
02-01-2022, 05:43 PM
Happy 37th Birthday to the Smuggler’s Blues episode.

FreyFollower
02-02-2022, 02:15 AM
Thanks, Shun. Glenn as the laid-back hippie type is a riot!:laugh: A great memory. But personally, I think his Smuggler's Blues video was far superior, and the story line more realistic. The ending shocked me at the time. I hate when it is edited down to a shorter version.

CAinOH
02-02-2022, 09:04 AM
Thanks, Shun. Glenn as the laid-back hippie type is a riot!:laugh: A great memory. But personally, I think his Smuggler's Blues video was far superior, and the story line more realistic. The ending shocked me at the time. I hate when it is edited down to a shorter version.

The ending! I was seeing it for the first time with my friend, Cindy. We watched it... then at the end we turn to each other. "Did they just kill Glenn Frey on MTV?" "Looks that way." "Damn." "Damn."

Side note: Glenn was supposed to play the character for at least one more episode. But Glenn's schedule never allowed him to work on Miami Vice again. I came across this bit of trivia in the Miami Vice wiki:

The character of Jackson Crane was not originally supposed to exist; "Trust Fund Pirates" was to be a sequel to "Smuggler's Blues" and was to feature Glenn Frey's character Jimmy Cole. However, when Frey was unavailable for filming the script was changed to feature a smuggler friend of his.

Full page (about the character Jackson Crane -- Gary Cole -- who "replaced" Jimmy Cole):
https://miamivice.fandom.com/wiki/Jackson_Crane

FreyFollower
02-03-2022, 03:22 AM
The ending! I was seeing it for the first time with my friend, Cindy. We watched it... then at the end we turn to each other. "Did they just kill Glenn Frey on MTV?" "Looks that way." "Damn." "Damn."

Side note: Glenn was supposed to play the character for at least one more episode. But Glenn's schedule never allowed him to work on Miami Vice again. I came across this bit of trivia in the Miami Vice wiki:

Full page (about the character Jackson Crane -- Gary Cole -- who "replaced" Jimmy Cole):
https://miamivice.fandom.com/wiki/Jackson_Crane

That's very interesting. Thanks, CA! Too bad Glenn didn't have time to do it.

02-06-2022, 02:49 PM
Thanks for that CA. I knew Glenn was scheduled to do a follow-up episode, but I had never seen those details about what happened. I love to learn any new details. :thumbsup:

New Kid In Town
03-17-2022, 06:47 PM

Hi FF - how are you doing ? I loved that video and remember being shocked by the ending too. Wasn't Janie (his 1st wife) in the video ? Can't believe that video is over 37 years old !

FreyFollower
03-17-2022, 10:16 PM
Hi, New Kid! Yes, that was Janie! (Plantiff, lol!) I've got to hand it to her, a lot of pretty women wouldn't take a role like that! Hard to believe it is that old!

WalshFan88
03-18-2022, 06:58 PM
Classic episode. Certainly featured a great song. I know Glenn's not in it, but Beverly Hills Cop is a big favorite movie of mine, and of course THIO is there right at the start.

chaim
03-20-2022, 01:13 PM
As I recall, his character is so sweet in a way. "I'm against all violence", or whatever it was.

WalshFan88
04-14-2022, 12:13 PM
As I recall, his character is so sweet in a way. "I'm against all violence", or whatever it was.

Haha yes. It's a bit different than his character in Jerry Maguire, lol

shunlvswx
02-02-2023, 12:54 AM
Happy 38th Birthday to the Smuggler's Blues episode.

FreyFollower
02-02-2023, 01:13 AM
38 years! Unreal.

http://www.glennfreyonline.com/images/mv14.jpg
http://www.glennfreyonline.com/images/mv12.jpg

New Kid In Town
02-05-2023, 09:05 PM
I loved those MV episodes ! That was such a great show and Glenn did such a good acting job on the show.
Wow, I can't believe it has been 38 years !!!

sodascouts
02-14-2023, 01:05 AM
He was so amazing on that show. It's too bad his touring didn't allow him to reprise the role.

shunlvswx
02-01-2024, 05:50 PM
Happy 39th Birthday to the Smuggler's Blues episode.

FreyFollower
02-04-2024, 02:19 AM
Wow. Great episode.
http://www.glennfreyonline.com/images/mv07.jpg
Nearly 40 years, though? "The time we shared went by so fast...":-(:heart: