PDA

View Full Version : What are you into at the moment?

Troubadour
02-03-2012, 12:43 PM
It can be anything. A band, artist, a TV show, an actor or actress, a book series, an author, or something entirely different... perhaps a new exercise regime or a domestic project! Let us know what things are keeping you occupied at the moment. You can update as often as you like.

I'll start:

Six Feet Under: My friend, Kelly, lent me the box set of the first season. I finished it a couple of days ago and I am dying to get started on the second! This leads into my second choice...

Richard Jenkins: Love him as an actor! It might be his slight resemblance to James Taylor that makes me like him even more, but he is just awesome. I really want to see the only film that he has taken a lead role in, 'The Visitor'.

Researching Winchester history: I want to feel like a consummate tour guide when Howard comes to visit! ;)

Kings & Queens: A by-product of my Winchester research. I have been reading a lot of historical biographies lately.

Country: I've always loved country music, but I am really into it at the moment. Listening to lots of Waylon Jennings, George Strait, George Jones & Don Williams.

Clearing things out: I am de-cluttering, and it feels great. I have already assembled £30 worth of old CDs and DVDs that I am going to send to MusicMagpie. I am also selling my old BlackBerry curve to FoneHub for £51. Old clothes are going to charity. I am really enjoying having a bit of an overhaul and making a little bit of cash in the meantime.

Over to you!

WalshFan88
02-03-2012, 01:13 PM
Good idea! :)

Overdrive/distortion pedals - Well this shouldn't be a surprise. I've been really heavily into getting lots of different dirt pedals for my pedalboards. I've always been a clean Fender Blackface amp + pedals for crunch/gain, just like Joe. It works great and I'm ALWAYS looking for new ones or the next best thing and always looking for pedals that recreate classic tones and help me make the live show sound like the record.

Modern Country - Everyone here knows I HATE classic country with a passion. But I really love some of the modern country that sounds more like rock than it does country. The modern country bands of today sound more like Classic Rock than these Modern Rock bands do. I cannot stand Modern Rock at all - it just isn't all that great AFAIC. I love that the Nashville guys have all of the greatest gear (they are much more into gear than modern rock guys and sound WAY better) and have great tone and are closer to the types of sounds I like. I like some of the songs to. I'm a Brad Paisley/Keith Urban fan but I've really been interested lately in the Nashville cats both live and studio.

Vintage Guitar Magazine - I just recently subscribed to this and I'm so glad. It's the best magazine out there for a traditional old school guitar guy like me. The new Guitar World and magazines like that cover all of the modern stuff like guitars that Nickelback or Avenged Sevenfold play. Bleck. Can't stand it. So I really like Vintage Guitar. Also Premier Guitar isn't bad too, it covers more old stuff than Guitar World or Guitar Player but they also cover new stuff. Vintage Guitar is great for someone like me who is anti-modern rock and music for the most part and is all about old school gear.

YouTube - I spend SOOOO much time on YouTube. I'm constantly watching videos. Mainly guitar videos, gear demos, concert videos, interviews, you name it. I also put up a lot of videos there and have over 50 subscribers which is quite a lot and 10,000 views. It's pretty cool. But I am absolutely addicted to YouTube. And people love my videos there and I am considered the Pedal Expert at the guitar forum (one of them) I'm on. They say companies should be sending me their stuff to demos because my videos are so good. I tend to agree. :D

Playing Guitar - I still love to play. When I'm not playing I'm researching guitar-related stuff to buy. I'm still obsessed with it and I love it and I am playing in a side project band and we do lots of one off gigs off and on and basically whenever we have time and feel like it. I have one coming up in the Spring I'm looking forward to - an outdoor festival.

Whirlpool Baths - They help me relax and help my neck and spine to hurt less. 'Nuff said. ;)

VAisForEagleLovers
02-03-2012, 01:47 PM
Great idea!!

Chillaxin': (Chilling and relaxing). After working 50 to 80 hours per week since the beginning of July with no vacation days, I've been back to 40 hour weeks since the beginning of the year. I've done a lot of napping.

Catching up with friends: All those I've ignored while working so much have gotten some time and attention. Going out to dinner, etc.

Working out: I have time for exercise now!

Sports: While my beloved Steelers fell short of their Super Bowl goal, I still have my hopes penned on my Penguins and watch or listen to every game.

Cleaning: All the filing and deep cleaning I've been putting off is now getting done. I've taken loads of things to the landfill twice. Next up is the attic.

I have a horrible feeling that after next week, the hours will pick back up again, and so I'm thinking of looking for another job altogether.

Troubadour
02-03-2012, 01:54 PM
Oh yes! I forgot about sports! I am so excited about the start of the Six Nations (rugby union) this weekend and, of course, the Super Bowl. I am going to finish work Sunday morning, come home and sleep for a few hours and be ready to watch England take on Scotland in the afternoon, followed by the Super Bowl. It will be a long night because of the time difference, but a lot of fun! I am rooting for the Giants.

VAisForEagleLovers
02-03-2012, 01:56 PM
I am rooting for the Giants.

Me, too!!

Brooke
02-03-2012, 02:36 PM
This is a great idea Louise!

High School Basketball-Our small school has 2 great teams this year. Our girls team will hopefully make it to the state tournament for the 4th time in four years. Having a great-niece and 2 nieces on the team makes it fun to watch. And 2 of the 3 are on the first string. (Not bragging or anything! lol) The boys are very good too and have only lost one game this year after several years of being not very good at all. They probably won't make it to state (boys teams are just different), but they are fun for a change. I have a great-nephew and a nephew on the first string there too.

Working Out-I try to get it in 3 evenings a week and on Sunday, but it's hard. Going to BB games 2 nights a week doesn't help either. I admire anyone who gets up at the crack of dawn to work out before work. I just ain't gonna do that! :nope:

Reading-I've been reading a lot in the evenings. Why can't you find something to watch on tv when you have 200 channels available on the Dish?!

Getting stuff together for the dreaded tax appointment tomorrow! Thankfully, that mess will be over for another year! :ack:

Super Bowl? I like to watch the commercials and half-time, but don't have a clue what's going on in the game! :shrug:

Freypower
02-03-2012, 06:26 PM
It can be anything. A band, artist, a TV show, an actor or actress, a book series, an author, or something entirely different... perhaps a new exercise regime or a domestic project! Let us know what things are keeping you occupied at the moment. You can update as often as you like.

I'll start:

Six Feet Under: My friend, Kelly, lent me the box set of the first season. I finished it a couple of days ago and I am dying to get started on the second! This leads into my second choice...

Richard Jenkins: Love him as an actor! It might be his slight resemblance to James Taylor that makes me like him even more, but he is just awesome. I really want to see the only film that he has taken a lead role in, 'The Visitor'.

Researching Winchester history: I want to feel like a consummate tour guide when Howard comes to visit! ;)

Kings & Queens: A by-product of my Winchester research. I have been reading a lot of historical biographies lately.

Country: I've always loved country music, but I am really into it at the moment. Listening to lots of Waylon Jennings, George Strait, George Jones & Don Williams.

Clearing things out: I am de-cluttering, and it feels great. I have already assembled £30 worth of old CDs and DVDs that I am going to send to MusicMagpie. I am also selling my old BlackBerry curve to FoneHub for £51. Old clothes are going to charity. I am really enjoying having a bit of an overhaul and making a little bit of cash in the meantime.

Over to you!

I'll be interested to know which kings & queens interest you. I'm currently reading a biography of Henry IV, one of my heroes.

This is a great topic, but I lead a very quiet life and will have to think of something to say.

Ive always been a dreamer
02-05-2012, 02:01 PM
I am into the Super Bowl today - not because I'm that interested in the outcome of the game (although I love football), but because my family is getting together for a Super Bowl party. :grin:

Another thing that I have been into lately is astronomy. I always loved learning about the universe when I was young, but my interest has been "re-peaked" lately because my nephew is now studying it in school and is really "into" it. Once he found out I know a little about it, he had has fun quizzing me about my knowledge. We have turned it into a fun game (Star of the Week) where we have to locate a certain star or planet in the sky each week. In any event, it is a fun way to stay connected to my nephew (albeit a bit nerdy) and I have actually learned quite a few new things myself. They have discovered a LOT of new things about the universe since I was in school. :thumbsup:

Troubadour
02-05-2012, 05:05 PM
That's great, Dreamer! I am fascinated by stars and the universe, too, but I know very little... So much to learn about, so little time! Fun games like that are a brilliant way to learn more.

TimothyBFan
02-05-2012, 07:53 PM
My kitchen--Like I believe I've stated in What's Happening, we've completely gutted our kitchen and it seems to have over taken my life right now.

Andrew Greeley-- I used to read his books a lot way back in the 80s and just recently downloaded about a half dozen of his books I haven't read yet onto my Kindle Fire and reading him again. Forgot how much I love his stuff. It's especially cool because of the locations of his books being my area and he talks a lot about stores we frequent, the little towns we live and visit on a daily basis and, of course, Notre Dame.

Hubby's health and working---He's been working anywhere from 65-75 hours a week the last several weeks-7 days a week, and actually ended up in the hospital a couple weeks ago. Thankfully, everything turned out ok but it's been a bit scary and they're still running test but think it was simply exhaustion and stress. Imagine that!!

Katie- she had moved out 2 months ago but we moved her back home this past week. She was rooming with 2 other girls and one of them just went wild. She was stealing from the girls, her and 2 of her friends were caught in my daughter's room rummaging through her stuff. She was cooking down drugs in their kitchen one night when Katie came home from work. She's been bringing home strange men on a nightly basis and keeps getting fired from jobs for various reasons. She needs some serious help but isn't getting it from herself or her own family. Finally the other girls family and us spoke and decided for our own girls safety, it was time to bring them home and try to break the lease. We agreed that we were actually fearing for our girls safety under the circumstances. We held off thinking their old enough to handle it themselves and hopefully it would calm down. Then I decided to call the mother of the girl after Katie called me to tell me she had caught her cooking drugs in her kitchen, to no avail. The mother actually went into her daughter's FB and called my daughter a b*tch in a picture of them after the conversation. It became obvious at that time why the daughter actually acted like she did.

Words With Friends----LOVE LOVE LOVE this FB game. Have it on my phone, my Kindle, my computer.... LOL

Troubadour
02-05-2012, 09:00 PM
Wow, I am sorry about the whole roommate situation - what a shame for everyone involved. I really hope that young woman gets the help she needs, but I am glad that Katie is safe at home with you for now. We all need a little parental intervention now and then! ;) I'm glad, too, that Larry is okay. Those are some crazy hours.

Wildthyme
02-06-2012, 12:50 AM
Books Books Books! - My niece gave me a Kindle Fire for my birthday and I have been enjoying it. I can't really afford to buy books for it so I am borrowing what I can from Library to Go. I have also downloaded a bunch of free books on Amazon and am currently reading 3 or 4 of those depending on what I am in the mood for. I did pay for one book recently because my book club chose Hunger Games for this month and I read it in about a day or so. It was very good and as soon as I can scrape up the money I will buy the sequels. I am also reading one regular book - Anthony Bourdain's "Nasty Bits" which is a behind the scenes look at his travels and making a tv show about them.

Work and the never-ending search for a "real" job - I am still working at Harry and David. My department has been reduced by 90% from 120 to 12 people for the off season but I recently won a shift bid which means I am in a semi-permanent state now which is about as good as it gets there unless you are an executive. I may even be eligible for benefits in 6 months or so if I don't get laid off for summer. The biggest problem is that at $10 an hour the pay is not enough for me to live on so I am both looking for a second job to make ends meet and still looking for a better job overall. Two and half years of this has left me demoralized, flat broke, deep in debt, and struggling to understand what is so wrong with me that I am unemployable. But I am also grateful I have the job I do, a roof over my head and food to eat and I try to remind myself that I am better off than a lot of people out there.

Livin' Right - I have been really lax about my eating and exercising habits the last year and a half and I have put on some weight and generally feel disgusting. I am trying to get back to what worked well for me before - a mostly vegan diet with very little sodium or sugar. And no more Moose Munch! (that stuff is pure evil and available by the giant bowlful in our breakroom).

Spring Cleaning (Inside and Outside) - Getting my house better organized by getting rid of "stuff" and doing some deep-cleaning that is way overdue. Also planning and looking forward to getting outside and cleaning up my hideous backyard which I neglected last year. I really want to plant a garden this year but not sure if I can make it a go of it because I need to build raised beds and that of course requires money. What I would ultimately love to do is help start a community garden in my area but I need to figure out how to connect with other people who might be interested.

My Fur Children - Sometimes they make me nuts (like when my cats Max and Cleo tag team one of the other cats and pick a fight) but I really love my pets and would be lost without them. I can't imagine coming home to an empty house or not having a warm kitty or two snuggled up with me at night. They are always happy to see me, give me unconditional love, and make me feel needed. What more could I ask?

Ive always been a dreamer
02-06-2012, 05:49 PM
Work and the never-ending search for a "real" job - I am still working at Harry and David. My department has been reduced by 90% from 120 to 12 people for the off season but I recently won a shift bid which means I am in a semi-permanent state now which is about as good as it gets there unless you are an executive. I may even be eligible for benefits in 6 months or so if I don't get laid off for summer. The biggest problem is that at $10 an hour the pay is not enough for me to live on so I am both looking for a second job to make ends meet and still looking for a better job overall. Two and half years of this has left me demoralized, flat broke, deep in debt, and struggling to understand what is so wrong with me that I am unemployable. But I am also grateful I have the job I do, a roof over my head and food to eat and I try to remind myself that I am better off than a lot of people out there.

Cami - I wish you good luck with your job search and am glad you have some employment. I know it's hard not to get discouraged, but try to keep your chin up. Since I do contract work, I have to seek new employment quite often. I'm certainly no expert, but I have learned quite a bit along the way. The best tips I can give you is to seek all the free advice and feedback that you can if you haven't already done so. And there is lots of it out there, especially with your unemployment commission and recruitment firms. Try to get a lot of feedback on your resume because there is no one right answer about what makes a good one. But the interview is usually the most important - you really have to sell yourself and be positive, upbeat, professional, and confident. Several years ago, I even went to our unemployment commission and spent a lot of hours watching videos, researching information, and even role-playing about how to get an interview and how to sell yourself once you get one. Hope this gives you at least a couple of ideas that you haven't already tried, and got my fingers crossed for you. :thumbsup:

Topkat
02-06-2012, 07:39 PM
Hi all. I just found this thread & started to read it. It's nice to hear what some of you are into besides our beloved EAGLES. I haven't been a member here too long, but I have been spending more time on here than I imagined I would, so it's nice to get to know some of you on another level & hear what you are up to in your lives.

This past week I have been into football. I never really had much interest in the game my entire life, but this season I have totally gotten into watching the NY Giants, & last night's Superbowl had me on the edge of my seat. It was an exciting & nail biting game, but Eli did not let me down. I am so happy the Giants won!!!

Working Out I joined a gym in Nov. & have been going 3 or 4 times a week. I found that these past few years, every year I have been gaining 2 or 3 pounds. Well before I knew it I had gained about 12 lbs. & I was not happy about it. I made up my mind that I was not going to get fat, & something had to be done about it. I was always very skinny & never had to worry about eating right or working out, but that changed once I hit my mid 40's. I am really trying hard to keep it up, but sometimes I have to drag myself there. It's a struggle!

Job Hunting; Right now I'm not working, so I am looking for work. This is a whole long story which I'm not going to get into right now, maybe some other time I will. I just don't feel like getting into it now. It depresses me. I feel OK, believe it or not, but I do need to get my butt back to work.

The Disco Strangler
02-06-2012, 10:23 PM
TV: Murdoch Mysteries. Okay, I've been into this ever since it came on the air. It's based on the novels by Maureen Jennings.

Books: I'm trying a new romance genre--romantic suspense. Currently I'm reading $ix Days to Midnight by Kat Duncan.

Music: I'm back in the fifties and sixties. Woot! It's sorta neat listening to music when my parents came of age. I'm really digging the Everly Brothers, Big Joe Turner, the Hollies, Paul Revere & the Raiders, the Animals, and many more.

EaglesKiwi
02-08-2012, 05:08 AM
It's really cool reading what everyone is up to!

Gardening - I'm pretty new to this, but it's certainly addictive. I've had some successes and some total failures (apparently strawberries need water - and mine just happened to be about an inch away from the never-ending rainfall all summer!!). I'd been having a look at the community gardens to see what grows well - there's one nearby on Auckland City Council land, and one at my daughter's school.

Books - I've always been an avid reader, but over the last few years (okay, maybe closer to 15 years i.e. since getting into family mode!) I have become a bit of a lazy reader - sticking with authors I am comfortable with, "cozy mysteries" and re-reading favourites but not venturing into new territory. So I'm now actively trying to catch up on all my good intentions.

Dog training - agility classes have just started again for the new year - yippee! Good for Sparky, good for me. It does seem strange thought that I know more about many of my fellow Borderers whom I have never met, rather than my club members whom I see every week (we only talk about the dogs!).

Decluttering - making a little progress, but there always seems to be SO MUCH MORE to do.

Brooke
02-08-2012, 11:00 AM
Decluttering - making a little progress, but there always seems to be SO MUCH MORE to do.

Decluttering the mail drives me crazy! Can you believe how much junk mail we get? (at least I do anyways!) I hate it! :cuss:

Topkat
02-08-2012, 11:56 AM
Decluttering: I feel like I am constantly doing this & it just never seems to end.

EaglesKiwi
02-08-2012, 04:27 PM
Oh I'm glad I'm not the only one to get so frustrated!

It IS a very cool feeling when I see a nice clean and tidy area, though.

chaim
02-09-2012, 06:30 AM
I discovered Tiny Tim, the singer, a couple of days ago. I fell in love. His first album is beautiful!

TimothyBFan
02-09-2012, 08:24 AM
Definitely doing some decluttering as I start putting stuff away in the new kitchen. Good time to get rid of stuff I just don't use enough to justify keeping it. Especially since I have brought so much of my Mom's kitchen stuff home as we've been going through her house. Some of her favorite things were her cookbooks, some of them dating back to the early 1800s that I plan on displaying and her antique crockery. Clutter just happens, doesn't it?

Brooke
02-09-2012, 11:25 AM
Please show us a pic when you're done Willie!

Topkat
02-10-2012, 08:47 AM
Have you ever seen that show "Hoarders"? That is one scary show. Every time I see that, I start going around my house throwing things out!!! LOL
I don't know how anyone can ever let things get that bad...Outta control.

TimothyBFan
02-10-2012, 10:05 AM
That show is so scary!! I also can't imagine getting to that point. And they always have an excuse of losing someone they loved and that's what started it all. I told my husband one day, if that was the case, we'd be buried under filth because of the people that we've lost in our lives. The Hoarders that are the scariest in my opinion are the ones that hoard animals. That's so horrible to see what becomes of most of them. Don't get it!

Topkat
02-10-2012, 10:32 AM
I know..The first time I saw the show, I was mortified. The people with the cats....even dead ones in the house. It freaked me out....And all the junk all over the place that you can't even walk. I have seen some messy places, but nothing ever like that. It's shocking how many people actually live like that.
Someone dying is no excuse for never throwing out the trash!

Brooke
02-10-2012, 02:40 PM
I know. Ridiculous! <shiver>

Topkat
02-10-2012, 05:04 PM
My main clutter problem is paperwork & mail. I just seem to have so much filing to do. I have a small file cabinet & a wall unit, but I always seem to have papers around. It's really annoying.
I'm pretty good about getting rid of clothing & stuff like that, but I still have a pretty good shoe collection...
I used to sell some of my good stuff on Ebay, but haven't done it in a long time. I did sell pretty much stuff on there. I didn't make a huge amount of money but it adds up. Now I just donate it because I'm too lazy to take the pictures & write it up, mail it out. I do have the clothing under control because I had my closets professionally done, so they are very functional. That helps.

Brooke
02-10-2012, 05:38 PM
Same here tk. Paperwork and mail. Ugh. :mad:

Freypower
02-10-2012, 08:22 PM
I have finally found a site that speaks to my soul. It involves sending & receiving postcards!!!!

http://www.postcrossing.com/

I've signed up & the first five cards I have to send will be to the Netherlands, Germany, the US, China & Russia, and then presumably I will receive postcards from those places in return! This will be awesome, I hope.

Henley Honey
02-10-2012, 08:51 PM
Sounds like fun, FP. Did you ever get the postcards I sent you in December?

Freypower
02-10-2012, 09:07 PM
Sounds like fun, FP. Did you ever get the postcards I sent you in December?

Yes. I'm sorry I didn't say so at the time. They are very nice.

Topkat
02-10-2012, 10:20 PM
That looks really cool. I never get postcards anymore. Just bills in my mailbox!:cry:
People hardly even send cards anymore, just Ecards. When I get a card in the mail, I'm shocked!! LOL

Victim of Love
02-15-2012, 09:07 PM
My car was in the shop today so I maxed the time at home and gutted the family room for a really THOROUGH cleaning...with a little help from my friends -- popped Farewell 1 on while I worked. It was hard to focus on the task at hand but I got it done so I'm treating myself after dinner and spending the evening with Don. A bottle of wine and LIVE Inside Job!

Troubadour
02-15-2012, 09:24 PM
Sounds great, VOL!

Speaking of cleaning, I have really got into making homemade cleaning products and air fresheners lately. I have been trawling for more ideas online this evening. It is simple and fun, and I love that I am not having to spend much money on chemical-based cleaning products. Great for the environment, too.

Lisa
02-15-2012, 09:43 PM
That's a novel idea.

EaglesKiwi
02-16-2012, 05:18 AM
Sounds great, VOL!

Speaking of cleaning, I have really got into making homemade cleaning products and air fresheners lately. I have been trawling for more ideas online this evening. It is simple and fun, and I love that I am not having to spend much money on chemical-based cleaning products. Great for the environment, too.
Check this page out:
http://www.wendylsgreengoddess.co.nz/Cleaning_Recipes.php

I remember seeing various recipes in women's magazines over the years similar to some of these.

Prettymaid
02-18-2012, 09:36 PM
Bald Eagles' Nest Web Cam - http://www.wvec.com/eaglecam There aren't even any eggs yet and it's interesting! The resident male, who lost his mate last year when she was hit by an airplane, was right on track this past fall looking for a mate. It seemed he had found one in October, except she wasn't seen again after the new year. Then came female #2, who he was seen mating with on camera, and just when we thought they had bonded here comes #3! It is humorously being called As the Nest Turns, because of the drama unfolding. (BTW, lately it does seem as though he has bonded well with #3, and hopefully there will be an egg laid soon!)

Trip to the Dominican Republic - The past couple of weeks have been spent shopping, tanning, working out and getting highlights all in preparation for my free trip with my SIL. Everything's paid for - the airfare, stay at the resort, food, drinks, shows.....it's the trip of a lifetime for me!

Working Out - Yep, it's amazing how motivated you get when you find out you're going somewhere where you'll be living in a swim suit. I get up early in the morning and walk on the treadmill before getting ready for work. Either that or 'bicycle around the island' on the Wii Fit.

Natalie Merchant - Yeah, I know, she's been around a long time, but I recently purchased her Millineum album on Itunes and love her voice. I find that I really enjoy good female vocalists.

EaglesKiwi
02-19-2012, 04:30 AM
Your trip sounds fantastic, Prettymaid!

I will add to my list: photography! We have a new camera (okay, we've had it about 5 months but that's still new to me), a dSLR, and am loving playing around with it. I've also been reading up, although it's a little overwhelming to realise how much I don't know :). Must plan more organised trips with photography objectives in mind - so far it's been about capturing the moment (of course that's great too!).

sodascouts
02-26-2012, 04:53 PM
Science Fiction
This has always been a love of mine. Now, I don't like all science fiction's subgenres; I'm not into the really dark stuff, the doomsday/apocalyptic stuff, or the "dungeons and dragons" type fantasy stuff. I'm into the intelligent, exciting, and/or funny scifi. I got hooked as a kid - my favorite movies were Star Wars, E.T., and Back to the Future. In high school, I started watching Star Trek: The Next Generation (I watched the old Star Trek in re-runs, too). I also really love Firefly, despite its short run, and another favorite is The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy - which, ironically, I discovered via the Eagles because I was curious as to how they used "Journey of the Sorcerer (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywKilWkX4jA)." While I'm not sure the next one counts, I find Mystery Science Theater 3000 to be a riot, where they mostly riff on scifi movies. If you count superheros as science fiction, then there's a whole 'nother set I enjoy. Give me a good superhero action flick on a Saturday afternoon and I'm happy! I have even considered going to science fiction conventions... maybe one of these days. I just have to get a good costume first - I don't want the regular convention attendees to think I'm uncool. ;)

The Big Bang Theory (TV Show)
Several of my friends and members of my family recommended this TV show to me, and I find it so hilarious that I started buying them up on DVD. I haven't liked a show enough to do that in a long time - not since Friends and Firefly. I just watched Season Two, marathon-style, this weekend. So funny!!!

High-Heeled Shoes/Boots
OK, this may seem silly but I cannot walk into a shoe store that sells cool heels and not lust after a pair. My recent discovery of a DSW (http://www.dsw.com/womens-shoes/collection/sandal+shop/platform+sandals/dsw12cat1630004/page-1/) only a half hour away from my apartment may cut into my concert fund considerably. If I find high-heeled platforms... forget it. Out comes the wallet.

Big Earrings
I used to think big earrings were tacky or ostentatious. However,some of my friends were wearing them and looking pretty good, so I decided to experiment with them. Now, I feel naked if I don't have a half inch of something sparkly dangling down from my earlobe. ;)

Coke Zero
Dang, I am addicted to this stuff. I can easily go through a liter a day. Yeah, I know it's not healthy, but (cue rationalization) there are worse vices. And hey, I gotta live up to my name, right? ;)

Netfix
Yeah, I wasn't happy when they upped their prices, but I still love the service. For a while, I hardly ever watched movies. Now I watch them all the time, streaming them as I do other things without having to take the trouble to rent them, and finding all sorts of rare gems that I otherwise wouldn't have had access to (although you often have to get those through the DVD subscription, which I have as well).

Sparkpeople.com
This calorie-counting tool has been invaluable to me in my efforts to lose weight.

Henley Honey
02-26-2012, 06:07 PM
High-Heeled Shoes/Boots
My recent discovery of a DSW (http://www.dsw.com/womens-shoes/collection/sandal+shop/platform+sandals/dsw12cat1630004/page-1/) only a half hour away from my apartment may cut into my concert fund considerably.

Say WHAT???? :stunned: Three words for you, Soda:

JUST SAY NO !!!!!

sodascouts
02-26-2012, 06:18 PM
Just looking at that site makes me want to get in the car and see if they have a sale going on right now!

Brooke
02-27-2012, 03:07 PM
Soda, I've gone over to Blockbuster from Netflix since they raised their prices. I need the dvd in hand instead of streaming it to the computer. I don't have a wii or any other gadget to stream the movies and Netflix priced that together. BB still lets me just have dvd service. Yeah, the mail makes it slow but I'd never get more than 1 movie watched in a week anyway.

I've just happened on to Sparkpeople when trying to find a calorie counter to help my Mom plan her meals for her diabetic diet. I guess there's more there, just haven't had time to check it out.

Topkat
02-28-2012, 12:58 PM
Soda, DSW is a dangerous place!! They usually have a huge selection & prices are pretty good.. Can't leave without something.

EaglesKiwi
02-29-2012, 04:26 AM
Soda, DSW is a dangerous place!! They usually have a huge selection & prices are pretty good.. Can't leave without something.
I clicked on Soda's link and the first thing it came up with was "we ship to international destinations"... :woah::twisted:

and you can sort by color... :inlove: There were 166 pairs of shoes JUST IN PINK!!!

Can you tell I live in a small country? :laugh:

Topkat
03-13-2012, 08:50 PM
Lately I've gotten into makeup. When I was younger, I wore no makeup, but these days it's become an obsession!! I can spend hours in Sephora looking at all the stuff & trying it out. I usually end up buying something. I think all the packaging is so cute & the colors are so pretty. Some of it I don't even end up using, but I like to have it! I had to go and buy a plastic shelf organizer with drawers to store all the stuff I now have. Sometimes, when friends come over I give them stuff because I just have so much. It's become an addiction. I think I missed my calling & should have become a makeup artist.

Another thing I got into is a a tv show called Face Off. It's on the SyFy Channel. It 's a special effects makeup competition!! I find it fascinating. I love to see how they do the monsters, zombies, & all kinds of special effects makeup. It has me glued to the set to watch how they do it. These people have some real talent!

The Disco Strangler
03-14-2012, 10:27 PM
I love makeup. I've always been a makeup gal.

TimothyBFan
03-15-2012, 08:33 AM
Me too. You will never, ever, ever, ever see me without makeup!!!! Even if I am staying home and no one is going to see me, I put on the makeup in the morning. It's just my routine and refuse to not put it on. No, I'm not hideous without it or anything, it's just one of those obsessions with me. :hilarious: My favorite is eyeshadow!! LOVE IT!!! I love the smokey colors!

Gee Topkat--wished I lived close to you and could come visit to go through your stash. Sounds awesome!!

lizzyplays
03-18-2012, 12:17 PM
I love makeup too! And I love bargain hunting. My favorite thing to do is find the stores who are discontinuing certain items to use the shelf space for another product and things are marked down to like $1 or $2. I asked about why the cheap prices and those were reasons I was given. Nothing was old, just wasn't maybe selling in that location. I bought some expensive Loreal foundation for $1 each. It was that new 'roll on brush' applicator thing they came out with. I knew beforehand that the roller was rubbish, but that didn't stop the makeup itself from being good quality, so I use my own sponge and I bought 10 packages at a regular price of $170 for $10!! Ok, so I get way too excited about deals like that...

I have loads of eyeshadows and lipsticks that have never even been opened yet! But, I have shades for every occasion, season or skin tone I might have at the moment. Ah.... makeup rocks! :)

Topkat
03-18-2012, 12:39 PM
I have tried this brand called ELF, I discovered it in Target last year. Well, they don't have much in Target, but what I bought I really loved. They have a great website. You must check it out. Their stuff is so inexpensive, but it is really great quality. I mean the things go for $1.- $10.
Some people do videos on YouTube recommending some of their products.
They also do not test on animals, which is a big plus!!
Most of the stuff from the Studio Line is really good & only $3. & in really nice packaging. They also do sales, where you can get Free shipping or 2 for 1
Go look if you are addicted to makeup. You can really get a lot for your money. They also have great makeup brushes! Check it out.
:thumbsup:
www.eyeslipsface.com

lizzyplays
03-18-2012, 01:52 PM
Thanks TK!! going to go check that site out now! :nod:

Topkat
03-18-2012, 03:01 PM
Lizzy, let me know what you think? If you have any questions, just ask. I am familiar with a lot of the stuff. Just be aware that some of the makeup colors may be a little darker than they look on the screen. Also, read the reviews of the products & it will give you some idea what people think of it!

lizzyplays
03-18-2012, 03:26 PM
Lizzy, let me know what you think? If you have any questions, just ask. I am familiar with a lot of the stuff. Just be aware that some of the makeup colors may be a little darker than they look on the screen. Also, read the reviews of the products & it will give you some idea what people think of it!

I'm like a kid in a candy store on this site. lol Dazed... 'look at all the pretty colors'... :-)

I am definitely going to order a few things and check it out. I like that they have reviews for everything... I place a lot of faith when ordering things, after reading reviews.

Glennsallnighter
03-18-2012, 09:22 PM
Enjoy Lizzy!

I tend to wear make up to work Monday to Friday, but I try to give my face a break at the weekends with just plenty of moisturiser and toner!

All I'm into at the moment is Glenn :heart:s new CD!

lizzyplays
03-18-2012, 10:15 PM
You can be assured if I am parked in front of the computer, I am not wearing any makeup... lol But, I do like to get all dolled up when I go out, but I don't have to have it on to run to the store, or things like that.

I'm going to start buying a lot more Eagles/Glenn things after the concert has passed. Right now, I am putting every penny aside to make sure that I have a great time in Atlanta and can get plenty of souvenirs!!

sodascouts
03-18-2012, 10:46 PM
Sherlock Holmes / Sherlock
When I was a kid, I read a LOT. All the time. My mother was the church librarian and whenever I had to wait for her to wrap things up I would sit in the backroom and read. When I was about 9, I discovered Sherlock Holmes in the library. I read through all the short stories in about a month and then the novels. Shortly thereafter, I discovered the series starring Jeremy Brett which was in reruns on A&E. They were so close to the stories, and Brett was so close to how I imagined Sherlock Holmes to be, that it made me love them even more! Brett's interpretation of Holmes was so magnificent no one else has come close.

However, a couple years ago, the BBC did a re-imagining of the stories set in modern times called Sherlock. While these are not adaptations of the stories, they pay homage a great deal. The mysteries are very well-written and the filming is innovative and interesting. I love it! The only problem is that there are only a very few of them, and only three of the episodes are available in the States. I'm hungry for Season 2, which will be shown here in May... it's hard to wait, though! I wind up re-watching the ones available on Netflix.

And something VERY clever... the series creators have set up pretend blogs for Sherlock Holmes, Dr. Watson, and the girl who has a crush on Holmes. It's adorable. It won't mean much unless you've seen the series, but in case you want to investigate, here is John Watson's blog (http://www.johnwatsonblog.co.uk/) and Sherlock Holmes' blog (http://www.thescienceofdeduction.co.uk/).

EaglesKiwi
03-19-2012, 03:51 AM
I watched the same Jeremy Brett series, Soda - and loved it too.

I have recently re-read many of the short stories, I didn't remember the plots of any of them!

Troubadour
03-19-2012, 12:08 PM
That sounds cool, Soda!

I'm really into the BBC Parliament channel at the moment. I've become a bit obsessed with watching the live House of Commons debates (and also following the US election process.)

I'm also fascinated with the British Secret Service and I've been watching a few documentaries on YouTube lately.

Windeagle
03-19-2012, 02:53 PM
I've never been a big Sherlock Holmes fan, but I LOVED Sherlock. I can't wait until we can see some new ones. We recorded the first 3 on TiVo and still watch them occasionally. It's one of the few shows my whole family enjoys.

BBC America rocks! Lately we've been watching a lot of things there. We all like Top Gear, and my husband and younger daughter are huge Dr. Who and Torchwood addicts, when they're running those shows.

Freypower
03-19-2012, 04:35 PM
That sounds cool, Soda!

I'm really into the BBC Parliament channel at the moment. I've become a bit obsessed with watching the live House of Commons debates (and also following the US election process.)

I'm also fascinated with the British Secret Service and I've been watching a few documentaries on YouTube lately.

Troub, I know I shouldn't ask, but are you Labour, Conservative or LibDem? If you tell me I'll tell you (although you may already know). You don't have to tell me, of course.

As you are interested in the Secret Service have you ever read any John LeCarre? I'm reading Smiley's People at the moment.

Troubadour
03-19-2012, 05:58 PM
As you are interested in the Secret Service have you ever read any John LeCarre? I'm reading Smiley's People at the moment.

I have read a couple - most recently 'The Constant Gardener' - but I definitely want to read more in the near future. Would you recommend any novels in particular? Le Carre was born in the same town as my grandmother (Poole, Dorset) and in the same year, too. I often go back to Poole to wander along the Quay and to watch the boats. It is a beautiful place.

Troub, I know I shouldn't ask, but are you Labour, Conservative or LibDem? If you tell me I'll tell you (although you may already know). You don't have to tell me, of course.

I have always associated myself mainly with the Liberal Democrats, but I admire much of what Labour has done for my country and I am in line with their beliefs in equality, healthcare, opportunity and support for workers. I have only ever voted for those two parties. I am very interested in your views, and I don't believe I know yet which party you identify with!

On another topic, I thought of you yesterday, Julie. I was at my aunt's house for a Mother's Day gathering and my young cousins, Morgan and Beatrice, were sitting on my lap while we watched the Liverpool v Stoke match. Morgan surprised me with his football knowledge (he's six) and both kids were supporting Liverpool. I thought you would approve!

Freypower
03-19-2012, 09:56 PM
I have read a couple - most recently 'The Constant Gardener' - but I definitely want to read more in the near future. Would you recommend any novels in particular? Le Carre was born in the same town as my grandmother (Poole, Dorset) and in the same year, too. I often go back to Poole to wander along the Quay and to watch the boats. It is a beautiful place.

I have always associated myself mainly with the Liberal Democrats, but I admire much of what Labour has done for my country and I am in line with their beliefs in equality, healthcare, opportunity and support for workers. I have only ever voted for those two parties. I am very interested in your views, and I don't believe I know yet which party you identify with!

On another topic, I thought of you yesterday, Julie. I was at my aunt's house for a Mother's Day gathering and my young cousins, Morgan and Beatrice, were sitting on my lap while we watched the Liverpool v Stoke match. Morgan surprised me with his football knowledge (he's six) and both kids were supporting Liverpool. I thought you would approve!

1. I've only read The Honourable Schoolboy & Smiley's People so far & I recommend both.
2. Labour (and Labor in Australia & if I were American I'd obviously be a Democrat). New Labour I have to say are a long way from the party of Clement Attlee.
3. Thanks for thinking of me re Liverpool. Hopefully there will be two trips to Wembley, not one, and even more hopefully two trophies (FA & League Cup) while the only thing Man Utd can win is the actual premiership.

WalshFan88
03-23-2012, 05:31 AM
Ah let's see......

My new iPad - I didn't get the 2nd iteration of it - I had the 1st gen and I didn't feel like upgrading so I waited for the recently released 3rd version and I like it a LOT. Cameras are very nice - just used them to shoot a video of my redesigned guitar rig. Also the speed and display are very nice too. I have to say though, I feel while the display is much better than the other versions, it didn't blow me away quite like I thought it would. It's a much better display, but I didn't go "WOW!", either.

Computers - Seems like this is virus season and a lot of what I do as a computer tech is removing viruses for people as they are very prevalent. I try to stay up to date on all of the latest malware removal technologies and what have you, in order to keep up. I get the ones that others can't fix where it's corrupted the OS, hid all the files, rootkits that won't go away - the "good" stuff. :D

Live albums - I've been digging out all of my favorite live albums and listening to them. I think they are very cool, especially the great quality ones. Eagles Live, Get Your Ya Ya's Out (Stones), REO Speedwagon Live, One More from The Road (Skynyrd), Foghat Live, At Budokan (Cheap Trick), AC/DC Live, Live Bootleg (Aerosmith), Alive (KISS, before they became a joke and actually had good songs) etc. All great live albums and I love the live sound and all of that. It really makes you feel like you were there, in a way.

Rock biographies - I've been getting some new rock memoir books and I love reading those. I also reread some of my old ones. I love learning about them (artist/band) and reading all of the details about the history. I skip over the parts about excess and all of those details, though as I want to remember them as being perfectly innocent. Those don't appeal to me at all. :lie::rofl: ;)

I think that's it... I'll put all of my life updates in the "Life" thread. :D

Topkat
03-23-2012, 02:56 PM
Ah let's see......

Live albums - I've been digging out all of my favorite live albums and listening to them. I think they are very cool, especially the great quality ones. Eagles Live, Get Your Ya Ya's Out (Stones), REO Speedwagon Live, One More from The Road (Skynyrd), Foghat Live, At Budokan (Cheap Trick), AC/DC Live, Live Bootleg (Aerosmith), Alive (KISS, before they became a joke and actually had good songs) etc. All great live albums and I love the live sound and all of that. It really makes you feel like you were there, in a way.

Rock biographies - I've been getting some new rock memoir books and I love reading those. I also reread some of my old ones. I love learning about them (artist/band) and reading all of the details about the history. I skip over the parts about excess and all of those details, though as I want to remember them as being perfectly innocent. Those don't appeal to me at all. :lie::rofl: ;)

:D

I love Rock Bios too. I've been reading them for the past year as research for the book I'm attempting to write. I mostly read about the bands from the early 70's. I'm trying to get my hands on the bio about "Badfinger" called "Without You" It's outrageously expensive & very rare. I've seen it go for like $400. If anyone finds it at a good price, please let me know.
Right now I'm reading about Jim Morrison, "No One Get's Out Alive"

I'm also into LIVE albums. Austin, If you haven't heard, Humble Pie, "Live at the Fillmore", that's one, you've got to hear. This is from when Peter Frampton was with them. Also the WHO, "Live at Leeds" These are two of my favorites!:rockon:

WalshFan88
03-26-2012, 02:09 AM
I love Rock Bios too. I've been reading them for the past year as research for the book I'm attempting to write. I mostly read about the bands from the early 70's. I'm trying to get my hands on the bio about "Badfinger" called "Without You" It's outrageously expensive & very rare. I've seen it go for like $400. If anyone finds it at a good price, please let me know.
Right now I'm reading about Jim Morrison, "No One Get's Out Alive"

I'm also into LIVE albums. Austin, If you haven't heard, Humble Pie, "Live at the Fillmore", that's one, you've got to hear. This is from when Peter Frampton was with them. Also the WHO, "Live at Leeds" These are two of my favorites!:rockon:

I just made a two page Word document today of the books I have left to get that are out.

Also Peter Criss, Bret Michaels, and Joe Perry are all supposedly writing a book. I've been wanting to get Ace Frehley's book, being a "classic" KISS fan (the first 4 albums or so when it was rockin' and not all commercialized but actually fun rock songs) and a few others.

About live albums - I will check the Humble Pie album out - I like that band. The Who Live at Leeds is classic and I have that one too and I like some of their songs but Pete Townsend's destruction of guitars (along with a few others) messes with my head a bit and makes me in a way appreciate them less. Just one of those things I guess but I love the first few albums of theirs as well. Big fan of I Can't Explain, Magic Bus, Substitute, etc.

EaglesKiwi
03-27-2012, 08:54 PM
The Who Live at Leeds is classic and I have that one too and I like some of their songs but Pete Townsend's destruction of guitars (along with a few others) messes with my head a bit and makes me in a way appreciate them less. Just one of those things I guess but I love the first few albums of theirs as well.
I totally hear you on that, Austin. A quality guitar is surely a work of time and craftsmanship, and to wilfully destroy it belittles the craftsman's efforts (admittedly, I'm only ASSUMING that these are decent guitars!).

Not to mention - most people have to work really had to save up for luxuries like a decent guitar - it's quite galling to see wilful destruction of something a hard-working kid has given blood sweat & tears to have!!

Okay, rant over. :hilarious:

Topkat
03-27-2012, 10:03 PM
I never really understood the whole guitar smashing thing, but Townshend was making some kind of statement with that. He explained it once, but somehow my old brain doesn't remember the explanation! LOL :brickwall:

WalshFan88
04-02-2012, 06:03 AM
I totally hear you on that, Austin. A quality guitar is surely a work of time and craftsmanship, and to wilfully destroy it belittles the craftsman's efforts (admittedly, I'm only ASSUMING that these are decent guitars!).

Not to mention - most people have to work really had to save up for luxuries like a decent guitar - it's quite galling to see wilful destruction of something a hard-working kid has given blood sweat & tears to have!!

Okay, rant over. :hilarious:
Yeah, they weren't Walmart guitars, LOL. These were classic Gibsons, Fenders, etc that were likely good/great guitars...

I was flipping through channels the other day and just happened to catch Pearl Jam doing a tribute to the Who and the guitarist smashed a BEAUTIFUL flametop Sunburst '59 Reissue GIBSON Les Paul, I guess trying to be like Pete... Busted right in two and then proceeded to stomp on it. I could have reached through that frickin' TV and strangled him. That is one of the guitars I would LOVE to have. Not that I ever cared for that band anyway or any similar band of it's genre (Nirvana, Soundgarden, etc), but that just pissed me off!

So yeah - guitar smashing is not for me. I completely agree with your rant!

Topkat
04-02-2012, 03:39 PM
Many other guitar players smashed guitars. Hendrix lit his on fire. That guitar smashing with the WHO ended pretty fast. It was only in the very early days.

Besides, what I find more disrespectful is the demolitions that most bands did of the hotels they stayed at. And this includes the Eagles. Destroying property is really showing disrespect to not just the hotel, but to all the other people staying at those hotels, who many times had to be evacuated due to the damages done by bands.

WalshFan88
04-02-2012, 04:10 PM
Many other guitar players smashed guitars. Hendrix lit his on fire. That guitar smashing with the WHO ended pretty fast. It was only in the very early days.

Besides, what I find more disrespectful is the demolitions that most bands did of the hotels they stayed at. And this includes the Eagles. Destroying property is really showing disrespect to not just the hotel, but to all the other people staying at those hotels, who many times had to be evacuated due to the damages done by bands.

Not that many by comparison, but yes more than just the Who. But that said, the bands that did I personally never cared for anyway.

The hotel thing never bothered me as much - but I guess I'm more sentimental about the guitars but also because I hadn't thought of it.

Topkat
04-02-2012, 05:09 PM
I have been watching Celebrity Apprentice. As much as I can't stand Donald Trump, I really love this show. Last nights episode was intense!!!
In the first part of the show Dee Snider won over $300,000. for his charity The March of Dimes, so that was fantastic. The guys team has been on a roll & getting along pretty well. The woman's team is another story. That witch Aubrey O' Day, ( I never heard of her or seen her before this show) is a control freak, maniac. She bosses everyone around & Lisa Lampanelli is another mouth that does not shut up!! As much as Aubrey & Lisa think they are the force behind the team; they lose every time.

For the second half of the show, they combined the teams to Coed, I guess because the women kept losing, and only had 4 players left.
Well, Aubrey, as usual was taking over, even though Arsenio Hall was the PM. Well, come time in the boardroom, Arsenio told her off big time. I was thrilled. They won the task, but he did not let Aubrey take the credit, & shut her fat mouth!! It's high time somebody told her off. Ultimately Dee got fired, for making up the crummy promo cube. At least he won lots of cash for his charity, so I hope he didn't feel too bad..

I'm rooting for Clay Aiken, (who's excellent on the show) and Arsenio.

sodascouts
04-02-2012, 07:14 PM

I hate the destruction to hotels too (although I've never heard of an evacuation??). I don't laugh at those stories they love to tell about Joe ripping up hotel art, cutting up walls, and destroying TVs. There are a lot of poor people out there who would love to have that TV they're destroying for fun.

Frankly, I find such behavior disturbing. When you start to think about why a man would get off on destroying things, why destruction gives him such pleasure... well, let's just say it doesn't paint a pretty picture of his psyche (no offense to Joe).

Windeagle
04-11-2012, 10:16 AM
I'm thinking about getting back into playing the bass. I used to play a little back in the late 80s - never performance-grade, but just for my own enjoyment.

I mentioned my thoughts to a musician friend of mine this weekend, and he offered to help me find a good one in my price range and said he'd let me use some equipment he's not using. So I'm gonna take the plunge.

I got inspired by River of Dreams on my way into work this morning. I always loved the bass line in that song.

TimothyBFan
04-11-2012, 10:35 AM
Good for you WE!!!! :thumbsup: I don't know if you knew, but I'm rather fond of the bass and the people who play them. ;)

Windeagle
04-11-2012, 10:48 AM
Good for you WE!!!! :thumbsup: I don't know if you knew, but I'm rather fond of the bass and the people who play them. ;)

You don't say! ;)

I figured I'll start by learning from Glenn and work my way up to Timothy and Randy.

TimothyBFan
04-11-2012, 11:09 AM
You don't say! ;)

I figured I'll start by learning from Glenn and work my way up to Timothy and Randy.

And The Cars, Benjamin Orr and Rush's Geddy Lee and......:hilarious:

Troubadour
04-11-2012, 12:19 PM
Very cool, WE! I've been thinking lately that I really want to dedicate more time to my guitar.

whitcap
05-07-2013, 03:17 AM
Star Trek - I watched the original series as a kid but I only really got into it about a year ago when I discovered that all the shows were streaming on Netflix. In the span of a year I watched every episode of all five tv shows and all of the movies. Actually I watched the third show, Deep Space Nine, twice. Its my favorite of the five :)

Dune - I've been reading and loving Frank Herbert's Dune books.

Tiffanny Twisted
05-07-2013, 07:56 AM
addicted to playing words with friends .Although I rarely win, lol, I am getting better. Of course my godson, baby Lucas.....I so just love that baby and being around him..It feels so calming to hold him and play with him as he discovers all the world around him and :) when he smiles at me, it melts my heart.

Grey Sadler
05-07-2013, 10:29 AM
I'm thinking about getting back into playing the bass. I used to play a little back in the late 80s - never performance-grade, but just for my own enjoyment.
(snip)
I got inspired by River of Dreams on my way into work this morning. I always loved the bass line in that song.

:hug: Sounds like a plan!!
I actually have to find a new teacher through my school for the summer...and have to move next week's lesson (I'm giving out the Science awards at Honors Night :))

I have a book with all the sheet music up to HFO...sometimes I get it out and try to pick at the bass clef line...and get intimidated and put it away...for now ;)

Glennsallnighter
05-08-2013, 08:34 AM
Very cool, WE! I've been thinking lately that I really want to dedicate more time to my guitar.

I love my guitar and I feel so sorry that with a fulltime job and a family I only manage to pick it up for about 5 minutes a week.... then someone calls for me.

Prettymaid
05-08-2013, 09:23 AM
I was lucky in that when I was growing up I got a musical instrument almost every year for Christmas, and sometimes not your ordinary instrument. I've had a melodica and an autoharp. The melodica is basically a keyboard that you blow into, and the autoharp is a triangular-shaped stringed instrument that you strum, made famous by June Carter Cash, I think.

Anyway, I also got conventional instruments like a piano and a guitar. I played the piano by ear for years, but never was able to get the guitar thing down, mostly because my fingers would start hurting before I could figure it out! But I always wished I could play guitar, even when I was playing piano, because the guitar is a much more portable instrument!

Grey Sadler
05-12-2013, 09:09 PM
I was lucky in that when I was growing up I got a musical instrument almost every year for Christmas, and sometimes not your ordinary instrument. I've had a melodica and an autoharp. The melodica is basically a keyboard that you blow into, and the autoharp is a triangular-shaped stringed instrument that you strum, made famous by June Carter Cash, I think.

I'm looking into the autoharp...when I can put back a little more money for one ;)

I realize now how much gear costs...how in the world am I going to save my pennies if The Boys do come around here on tour?? :fear::hilarious:

WalshFan88
05-13-2013, 12:13 PM

I mentioned my thoughts to a musician friend of mine this weekend, and he offered to help me find a good one in my price range and said he'd let me use some equipment he's not using. So I'm gonna take the plunge.

Go for it, WE! Playing music is fun.

Brooke
05-13-2013, 03:46 PM
Right now, gardening! :partytime:

Prettymaid
05-13-2013, 09:34 PM
Right now, gardening! :partytime:

Flowers or vegetables?

Brooke
05-14-2013, 03:08 PM
Both!

And my back hurts! :lol:

wasl89
05-14-2013, 03:20 PM
Waiting for the bus to take me home.

Outlawman13
05-14-2013, 03:57 PM
Both!

And my back hurts! :lol:

That is too cool!! Fun thing to do!! Sorry your back huts though!

Troubadour
05-14-2013, 04:05 PM
I'm into feelgood films at the moment - especially ones from my childhood. Sometimes if I'm pottering around or have a spare hour, I'll put a DVD on - the other day it was Three Men and a Baby - and it instantly makes me happy! I also watched Labyrinth at the weekend, for the first time in years. There's something comforting about them.

WalshFan88
05-14-2013, 05:14 PM
Playing music.

I realize I do that anytime, but I really am enjoying playing. The weather is warm(er), I'm not as depressed from winter blues, and I'm feeling motivated about the summer shows I'll be playing, including my own Ausfest. I got a new Fender amp the other day which is very inspiring, and I'm OH SO inspired by the concert DVD and seeing my favorite duo play. Very, very inspiring to say the least.

Tiffanny Twisted
05-14-2013, 09:27 PM
I have 18 games of words with friends ...i think I am addicted...its actually funny..lol
everytime its over with my sister in law we both start new games..oh well

Topkat
05-14-2013, 10:15 PM
Right now I'm into the tv show The Voice...Wow they really have some good singers on the show! I also love the coaches Adam, Blake, Shakira & Usher. They are all working really hard with their teams. Tonight Adam & Blake both sang with their teams on the show. This show has gotten so much better than American Idol....It's not about tacky comments from the judges. If you haven't been watching, now would be a good time to start. It's on Mon & Tues nights!