PDA

View Full Version : Hello at last

chaim
02-06-2012, 11:53 AM
I joined this forum a couple of years ago and I didn't realize that I could introduce myself here, because I was probably so eager to learn something about the music of the Eagles. In fact once when I had a group of students when I was a music teacher, I asked everyone to introduce themselves, but I forgot to introduce myself! It was only later that some student brought this up.
It has often bothered me that I'm always referred to as "chaim" here. The reason is of course that no one knew my real name, because I've never said it. So, I'm Toni Lehto from Finland. In some places I don't mind being "incognito", but I think the atmosphere in this forum is so warm and cosy, that I might as well be me here.
I was born in 1977, so I missed their extistence in the seventies and didn't really grieve over their break-up, because I was three years old at the time. At some point in my teens a friend of mine introduced me to Hotel California, the song. I don't think it was love at first hearing, but I think I liked it. Later, still in my teens, I started to buy their albums and I think my favourites were the albums Desperado and Hotel California. I fell in love with Glenn's voice - Glenn in "Outlaw man", "Tequila sunrise", the "Doolin-Dalton" bridge etc. etc. I basically fell in love with all their albums except perhaps The Long Run, although even that had songs I loved. Teenage Jail was one of them (!!!!). I know Don is perhaps a better singer (is he?) and everyone raves about his singing, but Glenn's voice has always been my favourite.
In terms of songwriting, I love songs by all the members. "Take the devil", "Earlybird", "My man", Bitter creek"....Randy and Bernie wrote great, great songs. "I wish you peace" was a big favourite in my teens. I don't know why.
I saw them live for the first time on the "resumption" tour when I went to Sweden with a small group of people to see them. I saw them on the LROOE tour as well. Those are the only times I've seen them.
The Eagles isn't the only band I love, but it was one of the first bands I started to listen to and I still listen to or think about the band in some way weekly, if not daily.
I'm at the library at the moment and I'm in a hurry, so this post is a bit of a mess...

Oh, and New Kid In Town is one of the only songs ever written where a modulation actually works.:thumbsup:

VAisForEagleLovers
02-06-2012, 12:18 PM
Toni, welcome back to The Border, it's good to have you here on a regular basis! Keep up the great observations and comments! I'm a relative newbie here and never did post in this thread. No idea why I didn't, but I'm glad you did!

sodascouts
02-06-2012, 12:42 PM
Hey Toni! I've always loved reading your posts; you always have something intelligent to say. Are you a native of Finland? If so, your fluency in English is truly amazing.

chaim
02-06-2012, 01:36 PM
Hey Toni! I've always loved reading your posts; you always have something intelligent to say. Are you a native of Finland? If so, your fluency in English is truly amazing.

Born in Finland and probably will die here - hopefully of old age, if I don't freeze to death...

Windeagle
02-06-2012, 02:42 PM
Hi Toni - I'm relatively new here myself. I came aboard last summer. I've enjoyed your posts. You really do have some great insights.

I've been a fan since 1979, on and off, but have yet to see the band live, for various reasons. I'm hoping for a chance this year if they come close enough (or maybe even if they don't!).

Windeagle (aka Brenda)

Brooke
02-06-2012, 03:40 PM
Welcome at last Toni! Glad to have ya! It's always nice to know a little bit about posters. You are in very good company here!

So you like Teenage Jail huh? I think there will be another Borderer or two that also like that song! It's definitely not one of my favorites, but different strokes for different folks! If it's an Eagles song, there has to be something good about it! :lol:

As for who is the best singer, that could be debated for many years! :lol:

sodascouts
02-06-2012, 03:43 PM
True. For me, the "best" voice is the one I enjoy the most - Glenn's. However, I certainly appreciate Don's incredible voice.

Freypower
02-06-2012, 04:23 PM
Toni, it's great to have someone from Finland here (I visited Helsinki for a few days in 1996 and had a great time).

You can probably guess I am with you in terms of favourite voices. I won't say 'best'.

Ive always been a dreamer
02-06-2012, 07:40 PM
Well Toni - it's great that you decided to properly introduce yourself to us here. Your posts are alway interesting to read so I am very glad that you are posting more. As others have said, your English is great. I never realized that it is not your native language. As beautiful as Scandinavia is, I really don't think I could tolerate the weather. Enjoy yourself here and :cheers: to many more posts.

Mrs Frey
02-07-2012, 06:31 AM
Thank you for your most enjoyable introduction, Toni! I was also thinking, as I was reading your post, how good your English is for someone native to Finland.

I unfortunately haven't seen many of your posts, because I have been on and off The Border over the last two years, due to changes in my personal schedule. However, I hope to make more time for The Border, and hopefully I will see many more of your posts. :smile:

I am only a year older than you, and discovered the Eagles around 2004, when a good friend introduced them to me through lending me the "Greatest Hits 1971 to 1975" album. I was hooked after that, but became somewhat obsessed after watching "Hell Freezes Over" for the first time in 2007. I fell in love with Glenn :heart: and that was it, really. Game over! :lol: So I share your sentiments about Glenn's :heart: voice, although I also love Don's singing.

chaim
02-07-2012, 08:06 AM
Thanks to all of you for the warm welcome, haha! I must say that I was a bit surprised to read that one of you (Freypower) has actually been to our freezing little country!!

Freypower
02-07-2012, 04:23 PM
We were there in April 1996 so the weather was quite pleasant! I might tell you that my husband is a big fan of the Leningrad Cowboys. He loves the Total Balalaika Show which was filmed in Senate Square. I just tend to look at it & go 'look, there's Senate Square'.

Glennsallnighter
02-07-2012, 07:23 PM
Hi Toni! It's great to have another European on the Board, and a belated welcome from me too. I also have been to Finland once - Lapland to be precise. We went there when the kiddies were very young, about 5 years ago. obviously the place was covered in snow at the time but we loved it!

Obviously you have a fair idea who MY favourite Eagle is too!

Lisa
02-07-2012, 09:25 PM
Hei, Toni! Hauska tutustua!

( = Hi, Toni. Pleased to meet you).

Koala
02-08-2012, 12:53 AM
Hello Tony! As GA says it's great to have another European here!:-)

BTW, I wish my English would be as good as yours!

chaim
02-08-2012, 05:01 AM
Hei, Toni! Hauska tutustua!

:jawdrop:Wow!

Byt the way it took me a while to understand Freypower's "Senate Square", because I've never heard it in English before. Just "Senaatintori", in Finnish. :mrgreen:

Freypower
02-08-2012, 06:01 PM
:jawdrop:Wow!

Byt the way it took me a while to understand Freypower's "Senate Square", because I've never heard it in English before. Just "Senaatintori", in Finnish. :mrgreen:

Good heavens. Sorry about that! :eek: Anteeksi!