PDA

View Full Version : Madonna

Ive always been a dreamer
02-06-2012, 07:20 PM
I thought I would start this thread to see what folks think about Madonna's halftime performance at the Super Bowl? I thought she was great. The show was wonderfully choreographed and she sounded terrific. To me, it was one of the best Super Bowl performances I've ever seen. She also looked amazing.

Henley Honey
02-06-2012, 07:44 PM
I thought she did a great job on "Like A Prayer" -- the choir really brought it home for me. I think she sounded good, but overall I thought it was a little lack-luster. I don't know. It just didn't impress me very much.

Topkat
02-06-2012, 08:00 PM
It was pretty tame & about what I expected. I knew it was going to be a huge production with a lot of dancers & showy costumes. I do not think she was singing live. It was just OK for me. I was never really a big Madonna fan, so I wasn't that impressed. She looks great, but I'm sure she has had some plastic surgery. Not the greatest Superbowl halftime show, but much better than last years Black Eyed Peas & Fergie. That was a disaster.

BYW, I don't think she sang "Like a Virgin". It was "Like A Prayer"

EagleLady
02-06-2012, 08:01 PM
I loved it. She looked great, the get up was great.

Henley Honey
02-06-2012, 08:11 PM
It was pretty tame & about what I expected. I knew it was going to be a huge production with a lot of dancers & showy costumes. I do not think she was singing live. It was just OK for me. I was never really a big Madonna fan, so I wasn't that impressed. She looks great, but I'm sure she has had some plastic surgery. Not the greatest Superbowl halftime show, but much better than last years Black Eyed Peas & Fergie. That was a disaster.

BYW, I don't think she sang "Like a Virgin". It was "Like A Prayer"

You're Right -- That's what I get from typing too fast and thinking too little! Thanks for the correction!

I corrected the post.

VAisForEagleLovers
02-06-2012, 09:24 PM
I thought it was OK. Much better than last year and some previous years, but The Boss still has my vote for best halftime show. Of course, the Steelers won that Superbowl, so I'm probably biased. Tom Petty did a great job as well.

I thought she did good considering the constraints, 12 minutes, to stage a huge production that most of the world then critiques. I heard she sprained her ankle earlier in the week, so especially considering that, it went well.

Brooke
02-07-2012, 10:29 AM
I liked it and thought she did a great job. It wasn't all that exciting and I read that she did lip sync, but that didn't matter to me. I can't imagine how you can dance around like crazy and still have the breath to sing at the same time.

I was not impressed with M.I.A., CeLo Green (?), or the others that were there with her. She didn't need them, imo. And why would any woman, or man for that matter, get up on stage in front of millions and make an obscene gesture? Classy, very classy. I have one word for her........ Anything to call attention to yourself. I didn't catch it at the time, but of course, the media must blow it up. So she got what she wanted. :thumbsdown:

Topkat
02-07-2012, 12:52 PM
I liked it and thought she did a great job. It wasn't all that exciting and I read that she did lip sync, but that didn't matter to me. I can't imagine how you can dance around like crazy and still have the breath to sing at the same time.

I hate when stars lip sync, it's supposed to be a live show. Many singers do it at their concerts (Madonna does) They should SING & let the dancers do the dancing. It really bothers me to see the lip sync on tv shows. JLo, Rhianna & others also so it. People want to hear them sing....but honestly, I don't think their voices are as good as the recordings so they do it & they feel they have to dance. It's really not possible to dance like that & sing well. Do they really think people don't know it's lip sync?? This is why I would never see any of these people live. I guess for the Superbowl, it's not as bad because people aren't paying to see Madonna, but still it's fake, so it bothers me.

sodascouts
02-07-2012, 01:10 PM
I agree with you, Topkat, about stars lip-syncing for concerts and most TV shows. However, I do give stars a pass at the Superbowl. The sound is crap there.

As for the vulgar gesture... yeah, that's a lame bid for attention. If one really had such contempt for one's audience that one has no problem giving them the physical equivalent of "f*** you" then why is this person performing for us in the first place?

Topkat
02-07-2012, 01:23 PM
I agree with you, Topkat, about stars lip-syncing for concerts and most TV shows. However, I do give stars a pass at the Superbowl. The sound is crap there.

As for the vulgar gesture... yeah, that's a lame bid for attention. If one really had such contempt for one's audience that one has no problem giving them the physical equivalent of "f*** you" then why is this person performing for us in the first place?

Soda, I agree with you on both these points. The Superbowl usually doesn't have great sound...maybe just because it's so big & it echoes or the crowd is just so loud..Last year the sound was pathetic.

As for MIA, she was just looking for attention, & very pathetic.

Brooke
02-07-2012, 02:22 PM
I agree too. If I'm paying to see them, they better be singing live.

I give a pass for the Superbowl too, although, I would be disappointed if Paul McCartney or Tom Petty, or any rock star lip synced. Even if the sound is terrible.

I guess we are talking about two different types of entertainment acts here. Those that feel they must dance around and put on a big production and those who entertain by "just" singing and playing their instruments. I prefer the latter over all.

sodascouts
02-07-2012, 02:46 PM
Yeah. If I want to see a dance review, I'll go to Vegas. Give me a real concert!

Topkat
02-07-2012, 04:03 PM
I guess we are talking about two different types of entertainment acts here. Those that feel they must dance around and put on a big production and those who entertain by "just" singing and playing their instruments. I prefer the latter over all.

Yes, you're right, but people like J Lo, Rhianna, & Madonna are supposed to be singers. They should be singing.They can put on a big production & still sing, if they let the dancers do the dancing. They should be singing. I would never see these shows anyway, so to me it's a mood point, but if people are paying for a singer, they should get a singer. Dance shows have become the norm for a lot of these performers. Give me a concert any day. I don't need to see a bunch of dancers. It's just distracting IMO.
The Superbowl is really just the one exception, but I would still rather have a live singer.

EagleLady
02-07-2012, 04:29 PM
To me, Singers dancing is good IMO. It shows that they Not only Can Sing but can choreograph their own moves. IMO

Topkat
02-07-2012, 05:26 PM
To me, Singers dancing is good IMO. It shows that they Not only Can Sing but can choreograph their own moves. IMO

EL; So would you rather they dance & lip sync, because that's what they are doing? More than likely they do not choreograph the moves, they have a choreographer who does that. When they are doing a high energy dance, you can bet that they aren't singing, it's a recording.

Ive always been a dreamer
02-07-2012, 08:43 PM
I totally agree that I absolutely don't want to go to a live concert to hear a singer lip sync!

But I also give a big pass on the Super Bowl Halftime show, particularly considering the way the sound has sucked so hard in some of the past shows. It is supposed to be a 10 - 15 minute live show for sheer entertainment. And to me, Madonna's show was very entertaining. I loved the way it was choreographed - especially Vogue.