PDA

View Full Version : Grammys tonight

Topkat
02-12-2012, 09:11 PM
Just saw Joe sitting next to Paul's new wife Nancy in the front row!:rockguitar:

sodascouts
02-12-2012, 09:13 PM
Topkat, I think it would be easier if we kept the posts about Joe and the Grammys together. Please use the thread in his forum to post about it.

Topkat
02-12-2012, 09:17 PM
Why, we may want to talk about other performers at the Grammys? besides Joe

sodascouts
02-12-2012, 09:20 PM
If you want to talk about other performers, it makes sense to have a new thread for it. I couldn't tell you were interested in doing that from what you'd posted so far.

Anyway, I made a new thread for Joe to make it even easier for people to discuss his appearance:
https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3488

sodascouts
02-12-2012, 10:01 PM
OK, Rihanna either needs to give up on pretending to be really singing or remember that she needs to keep the microphone near her mouth when she is pretend-singing. It's excruciating to watch.

Ah, Coldplay. That's better. Maybe she'll sing for real now that she's not hip-hop dancing.

Topkat
02-12-2012, 10:04 PM
Coldplay is so overrated in my opinion & Rhianna not singing live as usual

Topkat
02-12-2012, 10:05 PM
Soda, You read my mind there. She's so fake.

Topkat
02-12-2012, 10:24 PM
Beach Boy melodies sound soooo good. Now we have some singers!!!!
Adam did a great job too!

TimothyBFan
02-12-2012, 10:28 PM
Got to say I lovedthe Foo Fighters performance. Also enjoyed the Beach Boys thing.that one kid (cant remember the name of the group :blush:) sounded really great.

Topkat
02-12-2012, 10:48 PM
Yes, that guy is from Foster the People, he's got a beautiful voice. The Beach Boys looked a little nervous up there

sodascouts
02-12-2012, 10:57 PM
They did - and Brian Wilson looked a little confused to boot - but they made it!

I'm nervous about Glen Campbell's upcoming performance, since he has Alzheimer's.

Topkat
02-12-2012, 11:05 PM
I don't think Glen is performing. They are doing a tribute to him

TimothyBFan
02-12-2012, 11:05 PM
Thanks, TK.what kind of music do they do? Might have to check them out. Liked his voice.

Shadowland07
02-12-2012, 11:07 PM
I really think that The Beach Boys sucked. I love them but you couldn't hear Brian Wilson at all. Just Bruce and some guy singing along with him.

timfan
02-12-2012, 11:10 PM
I'm fairly sure they said Glen Campbell will perform and this article from CNN (http://www.cnn.com/2012/02/12/showbiz/music/glen-campbell-grammys-alzheimers/)seems to back that up. We will know soon enough! :)

Topkat
02-12-2012, 11:13 PM
Maybe Glen will sing, but will be with others, I think The Band Perry or Blake Sheldon

TimothyBFan
02-12-2012, 11:13 PM
Adele..... all I can say is WOW! She really is an amazing talent.

Topkat
02-12-2012, 11:15 PM
I'm not that familar with Foster the People. They are pretty new. I think they were on Jay Leno or something recently

sodascouts
02-12-2012, 11:21 PM
LOVED Adele.

Now, with regard to Glen Campbell - I wanna hear my fave, Rhinestone Cowboy! I don't care if he sings it with someone else.

Shadowland - yeah, I was a bit disappointed with them.

ETA: WOOOOOOOOOOOT

Shadowland07
02-12-2012, 11:23 PM
haha Joe was dancing with his wife (it was cute)

TimothyBFan
02-12-2012, 11:28 PM
Think Glen did a great job. You got your wish, Soda!

timfan
Glen Campbell sounded great on Rhinstone Cowboy and you would not have noticed anything wrong until after the song when he asked where to go? at that point he did seem a bit unsure but while performing he was ON!

Topkat
Glenn did pretty good & Joe dancing so cute with his wife!

Topkat
02-12-2012, 11:30 PM
Adele was amazing! WOW Now I wanna hear Carrie sing with Tony Bennett. Should be good..Then more Paul, hopefully with Joe!

Topkat
02-12-2012, 11:51 PM
Carrie Underwood & Tony Bennett, very nice. She looked gorgous
Jennifer Hudson, beautiful job. That was tough to sing & a lot of pressure

timfan
02-12-2012, 11:57 PM
I was in tears listening to Jennifer Hudson.. It was a very good performance, more than that the words of I Will Always Love You are so appropriate right now, sure made it emotional.

sodascouts
02-13-2012, 12:08 AM
Yikes. Currently have the TV muted. That is some messed up stuff whatshername is doing.

WalshFan88
02-13-2012, 12:16 AM
^ :rofl:

Indeed!

Topkat
02-13-2012, 12:21 AM
ADELE wins Album of the year, Song of the Year & Record of the Year...
Well done girl!

Shadowland07
02-13-2012, 12:29 AM
OMG the Boss, Joe, Dave, Paul, Rusty, and Brian all on guitar!!!

sodascouts
02-13-2012, 12:31 AM
That was great!!

WalshFan88
02-13-2012, 12:33 AM
Joe's lead bits were fantastic as always. Love that Doublecut Junior he was playing too. Maybe he's getting back into Gibsons again after a long hiatus. He played a LP on the Brad Paisley performance too.

Topkat
02-13-2012, 12:37 AM
What a great ending....Paul DELIVERS & wow some guitar line up of friends!
LOVED IT

Windeagle
02-13-2012, 12:46 AM
Thanks, TK.what kind of music do they do? Might have to check them out. Liked his voice.

Foster The People has a song out called "Pumped Up Kicks" that's pretty good. It's a little more techno-pop than I usually like, but it's extremely catchy. My kids like the band.

ticky
02-13-2012, 01:09 AM
Ahhhh! You guys are ahead of us! I thought for a minute id missed him then they just said Paul'd be on next. Whew!

eaglesvet
02-13-2012, 02:43 AM
That was one of the best Grammys I remember seeing in a loooong time! How could it not be, starting out with a new Springsteen tune, and then featuring more Joe Walsh screen time than practically anyone else!! I was triggered into action to log in and say hi to Ticky, PM, and all my ol' Joe lovers! I'm sure everyone here enjoyed that grand Beatles finale with that epic guitar line-up as much as I did! :rockguitar:

In fact, the only parts of the show I really wish the producers had canned were the sacrilegious Nicki Minaj number and the DJ dance scene. Ah well, at least I was able to catch up a bit on my napping... :zzz:

sodascouts
02-13-2012, 02:52 AM
Hey Eva! Glad you dropped in! :)

I'm with you - loved it all - especially Joe! - except for that awful sacrilegious number.

Maleah
02-13-2012, 02:56 AM
Adele..... all I can say is WOW! She really is an amazing talent.

Agreed! What a voice! I would LOVE to hear her live! One of my favorites....of all time even.

sodascouts
02-13-2012, 03:14 AM
I just read a funny Tweet about Adele - "Anyone else assume her speaking accent would be more Julie Andrews British and less Dick Van Dyke British?" lol!

Maleah
02-13-2012, 03:19 AM
I was in tears listening to Jennifer Hudson.. It was a very good performance, more than that the words of I Will Always Love You are so appropriate right now, sure made it emotional.

I was too TF.....it was a beautiful tribute I thought. I can't imagine how she held it together.

As for Nikki Minaj, anything she does is unfortunate imo. She must have thought M.I.A. was getting too much attention for flipping people off at the SuperBowl.

cheryl
02-13-2012, 04:02 AM
Loved the opening with Bruce Springsteen's new song. Great to see Joe playing with Paul on his new song. Nicki Minaj was so bad. Adele was great. I am not that familiar with her music but I liked her song tonight. Glen Campbell sang so much better than the people paying tribute to him. I am not a fan of The Band Perry or Blake. Closing with Paul McCartney and his little back up band was the hi-lite for me. Best show in several years.

Topkat
02-13-2012, 08:50 AM
Another Grammy article;

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/2012-grammy-award-winners/

Topkat
02-13-2012, 09:55 AM
Special props to Jennifer Hudson, who was flown in at the last minute to do a tribute to Whitney. She hardly even had rehearsal time. That song & arrangement was done last minute. Wow, she really pulled it off...flawless!

TimothyBFan
02-13-2012, 10:08 AM
Yikes. Currently have the TV muted. That is some messed up stuff whatshername is doing.

I know I'm old but that was really weird!!!!!

Brooke
02-13-2012, 11:23 AM
I just got to see bits and pieces, but did see Joe and Paul once and Joe and Marjorie dancing. Too cute!

Maleah
02-13-2012, 01:58 PM
I didn't see Bruce Springsteen's performance, but I was reading online that when he started he said something along the lines of "America are you alive out there?" The article was talking about how awkward that was since Whitney had just died. That would be something I would say and then go back to my hotel room and say "of all the things I could have said, why did I say that?" LOL

Topkat
02-13-2012, 02:51 PM
You know I don't remember exactly what Bruce said when he came out. I recorded it, so I will check & see what it was. I wasn't really paying attention! I will let you know later when I have a chance to look at it.

sodascouts
02-13-2012, 05:14 PM
Yeah, he said that but I didn't think anything of it. Rock musicians often say that to a sedate crowd. Sometimes people are too sensitive, I think.

timfan
02-13-2012, 05:43 PM
One thing I found noticable last night was.. how few of the awards were actually given out on screen. The show was packed with great performances which obviously is what the public wants to see! :)

Topkat
02-13-2012, 05:59 PM
Yes. I checked the recording & Springsteen did say that, but I agree that he was just trying to wake up the audience. I didn't think it was in poor taste.

I also found it odd that very few awards were given out on camera. I think the past year or two they cut back on some of the award presentations. Most of the show was fantastic. Glad to see a lot of classic rockers up there. For a few years I didn't even watch it due to the amount of rappers & hip hop acts, but this year it was at a minimum (thank goodness).

sodascouts
02-13-2012, 06:52 PM
One thing I found noticable last night was.. how few of the awards were actually given out on screen. The show was packed with great performances which obviously is what the public wants to see! :)

I know I for one would like to see more awards presented. I sure would've liked to see the Eagles get their Grammys onstage rather than at pre-show functions in both 2007 and 2008.

Topkat
02-13-2012, 07:00 PM
I know I for one would like to see more awards presented. I sure would've liked to see the Eagles get their Grammys onstage rather than at pre-show functions in both 2007 and 2008.

Were they even there? I think I remember seeing Timothy accepting an award, but I don't remember if it was the Grammys? I think he was the only Eagle there. They are known for not attending these things, at least in the past anyway.

VAisForEagleLovers
02-14-2012, 10:32 AM
Looks like Glenn watched the Grammys in some high powered company, at the home of Universal Music Group's Lucian Grainge (who also lives in the Brentwood area). Irving Azoff was in attendance as well.

http://www.billboard.biz/bbbiz/industry/record-labels/photos-lana-del-rey-jessie-j-irving-azoff-1006183682.story

Topkat
02-14-2012, 10:54 AM
Well that was for this years Grammy's. Would have been nice for them to see Joe up there with Paul, but who knows.
Soda was talking about the 2007, 2008 Grammy's where I guess they won something. Maybe they didn't expect to win. I haven't really kept up with how many Grammy's the Eagles have....Ummm, maybe I should look that up. As an Eagle fan, maybe I should know how many Grammy's the Eagles have.
I know they won for Hotel California & were not there to accept the awards.

VAisForEagleLovers
02-14-2012, 11:30 AM
TK, sorry, I didn't read all the posts to realize that somehow the thread started talking about past Grammy shows or I would have clarified that my post was talking about this year. I just found it interesting that Glenn attended an 'intimate gathering' of execs and artists.

Freypower
02-14-2012, 05:39 PM
Well that was for this years Grammy's. Would have been nice for them to see Joe up there with Paul, but who knows.
Soda was talking about the 2007, 2008 Grammy's where I guess they won something. Maybe they didn't expect to win. I haven't really kept up with how many Grammy's the Eagles have....Ummm, maybe I should look that up. As an Eagle fan, maybe I should know how many Grammy's the Eagles have.
I know they won for Hotel California & were not there to accept the awards.

The Eagles have 6 Grammys. Here are the details from EOC:

The Eagles have won six Grammys. In 1975, Lyin' Eyes won Best Pop Vocal Performance by a Duo, Group, or Chorus. In 1977, the single Hotel California won for record of the year, and New Kid in Town won Best Arrangement for Voices. In 1979, Heartache Tonight won Best Rock Vocal Performance by a Duo, Group, or Chorus. In 2008, How Long won Best Country Performance By A Duo Or Group With Vocals. Finally, in 2009, I Dreamed There Was No War won Best Pop Instrumental Performance.

https://eaglesonlinecentral.com/funfacts.htm

Freypower
02-14-2012, 05:40 PM
Looks like Glenn watched the Grammys in some high powered company, at the home of Universal Music Group's Lucian Grainge (who also lives in the Brentwood area). Irving Azoff was in attendance as well.

http://www.billboard.biz/bbbiz/industry/record-labels/photos-lana-del-rey-jessie-j-irving-azoff-1006183682.story

VA, I appreciate this, because it still gives me hope that Glenn's album is being 'discussed'.

Topkat
02-14-2012, 06:29 PM
Thanks for that info Freypower. I knew one of you Eagles experts would know this. If I remember correctly, The album, Hotel California lost out for Album of the Year to Fleetwood Mac, Rumours album in 1977.:cry: Well, that was a good album also. I guess a tough choice for those who voted!!

TimothyBFan
02-14-2012, 08:13 PM
VA, I appreciate this, because it still gives me hope that Glenn's album is being 'discussed'.

Sorry FP, but I had to giggle a bit at this statement. I had been picturing Glenn, Irving and others sitting around watching the Grammy's like so many other people did that night and discussing the acts that performed or were nominated or won. Then I read this and I started imagining a conversation with Glenn and the other attendees that every time someone said something about what they were watching, Glenn interrupted with information or something about his album being released. :unimpressed: I'm just thinking/hoping that maybe they just enjoyed watching the Grammy's and weren't all about business. :shrug:

VAisForEagleLovers
02-14-2012, 08:17 PM
Sorry FP, but I had to giggle a bit at this statement. I had been picturing Glenn, Irving and others sitting around watching the Grammy's like so many other people did that night and discussing the acts that performed or were nominated or won. Then I read this and I started imagining a conversation with Glenn and the other attendees that every time someone said something about what they were watching, Glenn interrupted with information or something about his album being released. :unimpressed: I'm just thinking/hoping that maybe they just enjoyed watching the Grammy's and weren't all about business. :shrug:

Are you kidding me? For guys like Azoff and Lucian Grainge, just being in the same room with someone is about business.

Freypower
02-14-2012, 08:23 PM

It was a silly thing to say. Your point is valid. I keep on getting these apparently vain 'hopes' that I will hear something, anything, for no reason at all. I will just have to stop.

Topkat
02-14-2012, 09:25 PM
I'm sure Glenn & Irv were watching Joe in action up there with Paul. I bet they were discussing the some of the acts. Enjoying some & probably laughing over some, like everyone else.

eaglesvet
03-20-2012, 11:54 AM
I didn't see Bruce Springsteen's performance, but I was reading online that when he started he said something along the lines of "America are you alive out there?" The article was talking about how awkward that was since Whitney had just died. That would be something I would say and then go back to my hotel room and say "of all the things I could have said, why did I say that?" LOL

I know this is waaaay after the fact, but I was just reading this thread. The reason he started this way, is because it's the same way he started his Super Bowl show a couple of years ago. It had no bearing on Whitney or Clarence or anyone else who had died. It didn't even strike me as awkward, but I'm probably one of the few who would have immediately recognized the reference to the Super Bowl show as it's indelibly etched in my memory :hilarious:!

Maleah
03-21-2012, 08:41 PM
I knew it didn't have anything to do with Whitney's death. Obviously he wouldn't say it intentionally related to something like that. It was just a thought that it was kind of awkward. But that's just me, I second guess everything I say usually. ;)