PDA

View Full Version : Celebration of "Live in Dallas"

whitcap
02-25-2012, 09:17 PM
Randy's first live album "Live in Dallas" was released 10 years ago today. The album was recorded 20 years prior to its release in December of 1982.

sodascouts
02-25-2012, 10:28 PM
I noticed that, like the Eagles, his live recordings don't seem to deviate much from the studio cuts. What do you think?

Ive always been a dreamer
02-26-2012, 05:24 PM
Happy 10th anniversary to "Live in Dallas"!!!

whitcap
02-26-2012, 05:36 PM
I noticed that, like the Eagles, his live recordings don't seem to deviate much from the studio cuts. What do you think?

I agree. Randy didn't like to change up his songs from the originals at live shows. I know when he did the Poco reunion back in 1989 he had to change some of his lyrics because Richie Furay wasn't comfortable with them. He wasn't too happy about that. Also, according to Charlie Rich Jr. (http://www.charlierichjr.com/friends/randy/), Randy was a stickler when it came to rehearsing. I think its safe to say that he wanted the live versions to sound as close to the studio versions as possible.

sodascouts
02-26-2012, 06:13 PM
I definitely think he succeeded. I have the live album along with his studio albums on my iPod, and if it's on shuffle sometimes I wouldn't know the difference unless I hear talking/clapping!

Hmm, I think I've heard the bit about changing lyrics before, but I can't remember what they were. Maybe "My Lord" in "Take It Easy" (taking the Lord's name in vain)? Perhaps the "nothing to believe in" line from "Take It To the Limit" (as opposed to having faith in God)? I'm not sure what other songs they performed. I am on the lookout for these things all the time so I know which songs to skip if my mother is in the car.

whitcap
02-26-2012, 06:20 PM
Hmm, I think I've heard the bit about changing lyrics before, but I can't remember what they were. Maybe "My Lord" in "Take It Easy" (taking the Lord's name in vain)? Perhaps the "nothing to believe in" line from "Take It To the Limit" (as opposed to having faith in God)? I'm not sure what other songs they performed. I am on the lookout for these things all the time so I know which songs to skip if my mother is in the car.

The lyrics Furay was uncomfortable with were "I had myself a tall one waiting at the bar. I didn't want to leave here til I had her in the car" from Hearts on Fire.

sodascouts
02-26-2012, 06:50 PM
You know what, I was going to put that one, but I thought that you could explain away those lyrics by saying he was just going to give her a ride. At least that's what I would tell my mom. ;)

whitcap
02-26-2012, 07:09 PM
You know what, I was going to put that one, but I thought that you could explain away those lyrics by saying he was just going to give her a ride. At least that's what I would tell my mom. ;)

Yeah I know but Richie knew what it meant so it had to be changed.

As far as I know that was the only song of Randy's that Richie had a problem with. The songs he did live with Poco would've been Nature of Love, Nothin' to Hide, Take It to the Limit, Hearts on Fire and possibly Rough Edges. The lyrics to the three Poco songs were preapproved by Richie before they were recorded (I know that a line in Nature of Love had to be changed prior to recording the song.) As far as I know he didn't have a problem with TITTL and if he did he didn't say anything.

whitcap
02-26-2012, 07:17 PM
To bring this thread back to "Live in Dallas" here's a track from the album :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_Tdwub0Ncs

Topkat
02-28-2012, 07:21 PM
I never heard this album. That track sounds great. Is the album still available?

whitcap
02-28-2012, 07:30 PM
I never heard this album. That track sounds great. Is the album still available?

Yes, you can download it from itunes or Amazon. If you'd rather have a hard copy you should be able to find some on Amazon.

02-28-2012, 10:52 PM
Thanks for posting that, wc. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE that song. But I have to admit, I like the Eagles HC version best. To me, it has more energy and the harmonies are fuller and more melodic.

sodascouts
02-29-2012, 09:57 AM
It is cool that he did the song, though, since as far as I know the Eagles never performed it live.

02-29-2012, 10:10 AM
Oh - I absolutely agree. I would love to see that song live. It is very puzzling why the Eagles didn't perform it during the Hotel California tour. I don't remember ever reading or hearing anything ever discussed about why they didn't. Did I miss something?

sodascouts
02-29-2012, 11:52 AM
Randy seemed to be having a difficult time vocally during the Hotel California tour. Remember how nervous he was about singing "Take It to the Limit" and hitting all the notes, despite the fact that Glenn said Randy brought the house down every time he did it. "Try and Love Again" would be just as vocally strenuous, if not more so.

By 1982, he seems to have regained his confidence, or perhaps his voice was more rested.

Of course this is just speculation, but it makes sense to me. At any rate, I'm so glad that he did the song and that we have a clean recording of it thanks to the release of "Live in Dallas." I think it is an album every Randy fan should have.

sodascouts
12-02-2012, 01:29 PM
Just bumping this thread because it was 30 years ago today that he finished recording the performance.

sodascouts
12-02-2013, 11:10 PM
Bumping this thread because it's once again the anniversary of this concert. Wish there were video of it available!

sodascouts
12-03-2013, 11:27 AM
It's not easy to be a vocalist, especially in the high range after the age of 30, for men & women. If you are a smoker, and Randy is, it's even more difficult. The vocal cords really do need to heal. He paid a huge price to give people what they wanted.

Very true. At least he can take comfort in the fact that his efforts were not in vain and what he created has enriched the lives of millions. In the end, as attractive as he is, it's the music that matters.... And will continue to matter, long after all of us are gone.

The Thrill Is Never Gone
12-03-2013, 03:11 PM
I agree also.

MaryCalifornia
12-03-2013, 03:13 PM
I prefer Randy's vocal performance in the produced, recorded version. The live version is nice, I had not heard it before. In another thread somewhere on these boards, it was reported in recent months that the Eagles did perform TALA live on the HC tour in NJ or NY - the poster was at the show.

sodascouts
02-25-2014, 02:51 PM
Bumping this thread because today is the anniversary of this album's release!

Suze
02-25-2014, 04:15 PM
Thank you for remembering Soda. Wish he knew how many fond memories people have of him.

DJ
02-26-2014, 02:22 PM
I can only hope Randy know's how important he still is to his Fan base.
He was an exceptional musician and seems like a beautiful human being.
We are all blessed by his workmanship. :heart: Thanks Soda for the update on the album anniversary.

DJ
02-26-2014, 02:31 PM
One more thing, if you watch the 1977 DC concert CD you can tell he was nervous about TITTL. But once he did his "we's" his voice got very strong and he finished like a champ. He probably had the kind of voice that just needed to get warmed up. Only singing back up doesn't let you express your voice and only having one full song to sing in a set would be nerve racking. Practice makes perfect, oh wait he is already PERFECT! :heart:

Delilah
03-27-2017, 04:05 PM
About a month late (:blush:)...anyway,

Happy 15th Anniversary to the release of "Live in Dallas"!!

I would love to know the backstory to this--was this originally recorded just for Randy's personal collection or was it intended for commercial release all along?

Why did he wait so long to release it? He's listed as a producer with Buford Jones but there's also a credit for "reissue producer" (Joey Stec).

Anyway, I love the radio broadcast recording. It's so exciting to hear Randy perform a live show! However it was done, I'm glad it just was.:soda:

East Texas Girl
03-27-2017, 05:36 PM
About a month late (:blush:)...anyway,

Happy 15th Anniversary to the release of "Live in Dallas"!!

I would love to know the backstory to this--was this originally recorded just for Randy's personal collection or was it intended for commercial release all along?

Why did he wait so long to release it? He's listed as a producer with Buford Jones but there's also a credit for "reissue producer" (Joey Stec).

Anyway, I love the radio broadcast recording. It's so exciting to hear Randy perform a live show! However it was done, I'm glad it just was.:soda:

Happy belated anniversary!! I was listening to this CD this morning.

NightMistBlue
03-29-2017, 09:52 AM
It was a radio broadcast that later, much later, Joey and Randy decided to release commercially.

I much prefer the longer radio broadcast that Funk Brother #1 clued us onto - it's very spirited and free-wheeling. Gotta love Randy's wacky war cry, "I get SOOOOO excited!" during the intro to Bad Man. :partytime:

Delilah
12-03-2017, 04:27 PM
It was 35 years ago on Dec. 1st when Randy recorded this concert in Dallas! It was broadcast live at the time on a radio station. Randy really gives it his all and I would loved to have been there!

Delilah
12-03-2017, 04:51 PM
I have tried in vain to find a picture of Nick’s Uptown circa 1982. The only ones that have turned up so far show the club after it became a restaurant.

From a Texas Monthly article dated Oct. 1982, Nick’s Uptown is “the hippest place for live music.”

NightMistBlue
12-04-2017, 10:54 AM
If you can't find it, no one can. :) There are quite a few pictures of the Vaughn brothers (Stevie and Jimmy) at Nick's Uptown way back in the day.

East Texas Girl
12-04-2017, 03:36 PM
Delilah, I would have loved to be there as well. At that time I lived about 10-15 minutes east of Dallas, I was 16 so it is not entirely impossible. :wink: Just wish I had discovered Randy by that time. I was actually into George Strait I believe back then.....

Here is a review I found of Nick's Uptown in D Magazine from December 1982:

In the way of live dance music, Dallas has a real treasure in the form of Nick’s Uptown (3606 Greenville, 827-4802). This attractive showroom on lower Greenville spotlights both popular regional and national groups. Sometimes jazz, sometimes progressive country, frequently rock ’n’ roll, the music at Nick’s is quality stuff, often perfect for high-energy dancing on the small dance floor near the stage.

Delilah
12-05-2017, 04:07 PM
Thanks for that review, ETG, it sounds like a fun place to see a performer like Randy.

I was more than 2 hours away so it would have been really hard for me, plus I’d have to use a fake ID to get in, lol. But I could have listened to the radio broadcast had I been aware of him. :grooving:

Yep, George was my guy. I’m glad I was aware enough to go see him!