PDA

View Full Version : Davy Jones of the Monkees has passed

Topkat
02-29-2012, 02:26 PM
Davy Jones, of the Monkees has died of a heart attack at age 66. Very sad

http://www.tmz.com/2012/02/29/davy-jones-dead-monkees/?ncid=webmail2#.T05tDvFmJ9t

sodascouts
02-29-2012, 02:40 PM
Oh no! I love the Monkees and nowadays, 66 is an early age to die.

When I was a child and they showed The Monkees on MTV, I fell in love. "Daydream Believer" was my favorite song. Their 1986 concert at Astroworld was the first rock concert I remember attending. It was general admission and my younger sister and I begged our mother to allow us to wait in line for hours so we could be up front (sounds familiar, huh).

My family bought its first computer that year, and unsure what to do with it, I decided to type out all the lyrics to all the Monkees' songs on it.... I called it "The Monkee Treasury of Lyrics," lol. It was my first connection between music and computer technology. This was before widespread internet, obviously, so I just did it for myself and my friends who were interested. 12 years later when the internet had exploded with amateur websites, I starting making sites featuring song lyrics and more for my favorite groups.. and they are accessible to anyone around the world who cares to take a look. The EOC network is the culmination of that. It all started with The Monkees.

First Whitney, now Davy. I am heartbroken.

RIP.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nU615FaODCg

Molly
02-29-2012, 03:05 PM
Oh, this makes me sad. Davy was the earliest crush I think I ever had. I feel like part of my childhood just died.

Nancy, I remember when MTV used to show the old TV show. Tom was born in 1986 and I used to sit up in the middle of the night nursing him and to stay awake, I would turn on MTV and/or Nickolodeon because they always seemed to be showing the Monkees. It got to the point where as soon as the theme song would come on, Tom would stop nursing and turn towards the TV where that familiar song was coming from.

I used to love the way Davy said Peter Tork's name...Petah. That was the primary reason why I chose to name my youngest son, Peter.

Steve and both of my boys have called me today to see if I'd heard the news. They know what a Monkees geek I am. I'm sure Peter is telling the story today of how he got his name!

Brooke
02-29-2012, 03:11 PM
Awwwwwww how sad. I loved Davy and the Monkees and watched the show on tv in 1965 (I was 9!). Loved it so much and looked forward to it every week. I loved Daydream Believer, I'm a Believer, and Last Train to Clarksville.

I never got to see him live. What a treat Soda!

If I remember correctly, our own DonFan actually got to see him at some kind of festival a few years ago.

RIP Davy.

ETA: I was 9 not 10 as I first posted!

sodascouts
02-29-2012, 03:16 PM
If I remember correctly, our own DonFan actually got to see him at some kind of festival a few years ago.

She got a photo with him and an autograph! When I told her what a big fan I was, she gave me a copy of the photo. I still have it. I sent her a text as soon as I heard.

Molly, what a sweet story.

EagleLady
02-29-2012, 03:37 PM
How Sad!! I remember watching reruns of the show when it was on TV Land. RIP

Topkat
02-29-2012, 04:20 PM
I also grew up watching The Monkees. Davy Jones was my first crush. I thought he was the most adorable guy on the planet. Watching that video of "Daydream Believer" made me cry. He was so cute & had such a great voice. I'm so upset right now. I was shocked when I heard the news. Apparently he played right here in NYC a week before at BB Kings. Oh, how I wish I had gone to see him. I never saw him in person. I am still in total shock.:cry:
He was only 66.

TimothyBFan
02-29-2012, 04:38 PM
A big part of my childhood died today. I am beyond sad.

Molly
02-29-2012, 04:40 PM
I saw them perform as a group twice. The first time was in 1986 on their 20th Anniversary tour. I remember Weird Al opened for them. It was quite an evening! Davy just played a local fair last Summer and Steve asked me if I wanted to go. I begged off because we had something else to do. Ya just never know.

I know Peter Tork has been battling cancer for a few years now (tongue or throat-something like that). I guess I thought he might be the first one to pass.

I read a cryptic quote online today. Davy and Peter were being interviewed last year and in typical Monkee jokey fashion, Peter said "Davy used to be a teen heartthrob". And Davy responded "And now I'm just a coronary."

Topkat
02-29-2012, 05:02 PM
Here's some more on Davy's career & his appearance on The Brady Bunch video.

http://www.billboard.com/news/monkees-singer-davey-jones-dead-at-66-1006315352.story#/news/monkees-singer-davey-jones-dead-at-66-1006315352.story

Brooke
02-29-2012, 05:38 PM
Good grief, Davy was only 19 when The Monkees was on tv!

Loved that video Soda. What a cutie he was. :sad:

TimothyBFan
02-29-2012, 06:25 PM
I read a cryptic quote online today. Davy and Peter were being interviewed last year and in typical Monkee jokey fashion, Peter said "Davy used to be a teen heartthrob". And Davy responded "And now I'm just a coronary."

:woah: Did you read it before or after? Either way, that's kinda creepy!

Windeagle
02-29-2012, 08:07 PM
More than any other group, I credit The Monkees with my deep fascination with music. At age 4, I never missed an episode. Their first album was the first non-Disney record I owned. My friends and I played "The Monkees" for hours, air-guitaring with tennis rackets and singing into pretend microphones and restarting that poor record over and over and over again.

Mike Nesmith was my favorite, but Davy Jones was irresistible. I am so sad today.

Ive always been a dreamer
02-29-2012, 10:48 PM
Wow - this is so sad and shocking. I really enjoyed reading everyone's 'Monkees' stories. Like most of you, I was a big fan as well. I just finished listening to Piers Morgan interview Micky Dolenz, who remained lifelong friends with Davy.

R.I.P. Davy.

GlennLover
02-29-2012, 11:28 PM
I was just sick when I read this. I was surprised to learn that many other Borderers feel the same way as I do about Davy & have had similar experiences. I, like Brooke, was 9 when I first saw The Monkees. I immediately feel in love with Davy. He was my first crush too! I never missed the show & would sit enraptured during each episode.

For some reason I had the More of The Monkees album before I got The Monkees. I remember receiving The Monkees on my 10th birthday. My Dad had taken me to Expo 67 in Montreal when he went there on a business trip. The friends that we were staying with had a bit of a celebration for me. I was thrilled, with the album, not the party. I still have them, as well as the rest of their albums. I played them over & over again. I'm surprised my parents never complained.

One of the great disappointments (okay I'm exaggerating just a little) was not being allowed to stay up late to watch Davy when he made a guest appearance on Laugh In :sigh:. I beggged & pleaded to no avail. It was very tramatic for a 10 year old.

I received a copy of Davy's first album "David Jones" that he recorded before he joined the Monkees. The songs on the album were quite different than those that The Monkees sang. I loved it just the same.

I, too, thought when I heard the news that a part of my childhood has died. I can't bring myself to watch any of the posted videos tonight. Maybe tomorrow.

I'm beginning to tear up. RIP Davy.

tbs fanatic
03-01-2012, 12:24 AM
So sad. I loved the Monkees. Always watched the tv show - and always got mad if anyone interrupted me during the show - lol. I actually went to see Davy and Mickey in a theater production of The Point in London - eons ago. I made my Dad take me and my friend to the show for my birthday. It was silly but I loved it. Needless to say I only had eyes for Davy and Mickey. RIP Davy.

Mrs Frey
03-01-2012, 06:31 AM
I am very sorry to learn this news. The Monkees never had the same impact on me as they did all of you, but I always enjoyed their hits played on local radio in the "good ol' days". I love "Daydream Believer", "I'm A Believer" (which has always been part of my show repertoire), "Last Train To Clarksville", "A Little Bit Me, A Little Bit You" and "Look Out Here Comes Tomorrow".

During the last two weeks I was visiting a friend, and she had the radio on on 567 Cape Talk, a local station that is principally a talk radio station, but they play "Solid Gold" from 10am to 7pm on weekends. They played someone else's version of "Look Out Here Comes Tomorrow", and I mentioned to my friend that The Monkees originally performed it and I preferred their version.

We've never seen any of The Monkees' television series in South Africa - at least not as far as I know. From all your stories here, it seems we have missed out.

RIP Davy Jones.

sodascouts
03-01-2012, 10:50 AM
Just to add another note - my older sister texted me this morning to say that the Monkees reminded her so much of the way we were in 1986 that she cries when the tributes come on - we were all such fans and the Monkees brought us such joy.

Last night, I posted about this on Facebook, and my two best friends from middle school who I haven't talked to in years posted replies to me about it. One of them attended the Astroworld concert with me. After all this time, Davy Jones' death helped us connect again. The fervor faded as we got older, but the fandom and the memories that come with it never died.

Comparisons to Whitney Houston's recent death are inevitable. On that topic, I just want to say that while my friends and I all listened to Whitney Houston, her death didn't cause friends and family members to text, post, and call each other and cry. Davy's death did. He was tied very tightly to the hearts of many in a way that you don't see every day. Gosh, we will miss him.

Davy's official site has a lovely tribute to him: http://davyjones.net/

Topkat
03-01-2012, 01:21 PM
Comparisons to Whitney Houston's recent death are inevitable. On that topic, I just want to say that while my friends and I all listened to Whitney Houston, her death didn't cause friends and family members to text, post, and call each other and cry. Davy's death did. He was tied very tightly to the hearts of many in a way that you don't see every day. Gosh, we will miss him.

Soda, so true for me as well. Love your new avi in tribute to Davy!

Troubadour
03-01-2012, 01:27 PM
So very sad to hear the news. 66 is no age.

My Mum had the biggest crush on him when she was young. My grandparents like to tease her about when she was a little girl (about five or six) and they found her sitting in front of the TV with tears streaming down her face. She was watching The Monkees. When they asked what was the matter, she wailed "But Mum, I just love him!"

Nancy, your avatar is beautiful and a very fitting tribute. Davy was a real cutie and The Monkees made life that little bit brighter.

Brooke
03-01-2012, 02:42 PM
Micky Dolenze was on the Today Show this morning to talk about Davy and said that he'd lost the brother he never had. I guess they had remained close through the years. He said that Davy had taken good care of himself too. You just never know. So sad.

I love your new av too Soda. He looks so sweet there.

Mrs Frey
03-02-2012, 07:00 AM
Just to add another note - my older sister texted me this morning to say that the Monkees reminded her so much of the way we were in 1986 that she cries when the tributes come on - we were all such fans and the Monkees brought us such joy.

Last night, I posted about this on Facebook, and my two best friends from middle school who I haven't talked to in years posted replies to me about it. One of them attended the Astroworld concert with me. After all this time, Davy Jones' death helped us connect again. The fervor faded as we got older, but the fandom and the memories that come with it never died.

Gosh, Nancy, Davy did mean a lot to you. I'm so sorry for all your sadness and tears. I felt like that when George Harrison passed away back in 2001 - it took me an entire weekend to get over the worst, and even now I still cry sometimes when I watch him on DVD or listen to him sing. Isn't it amazing how people whom you've never met creep into your heart and fill your life with so much joy. The worst for me regarding George was that I always dreamed of meeting him, and when he passed on from that awful cancer, I had to put that dream to bed. It's tough.

Victim of Love
03-02-2012, 11:16 AM
Like so many of you here, I too was smitten with the Monkees, especially Davy. He was SO freekin' cute that I would melt every time the cameras focused on him. And that smile of his was enough to knock my socks off! I always wanted to believe he was smiling just for me, LOL. I must admit I wasn't crazy about his 'mullet phase' but he certainly improved with age and turned into a very handsome man.

It just goes to show you that nothing is certain. I was reading that he had been told last year by his physician that he had the heart of a 25-year-old. I can't recall ever hearing/reading that he spent any time living 'life in the fast lane'. Unlike so many other rock stars of that era I don't think I ever heard Davy Jones mentioned in the same sentence with words like 'drugs', 'alcohol' or 'scandal'.

At 66, he was taken from us much too soon and we'll always remember that captivating smile and twinkling eye.

I haven't heard anything about his funeral/memorial/burial as yet. His roots are in Manchester, England (wherre my husband is from) but he left there at such a young age that we don't think he has any ties there anymore. He's been living in Florida for a number of years.

Topkat
03-02-2012, 02:20 PM
The other day I was talking to a woman from my building & she said her friend dated Davy when she was 20. He still kept in touch with her all these years & in fact he had just sent her tickets to see his show in April. Shows what a nice guy he really was. The woman is totally devastated receiving those tickets to a show that will never be.

GlennLover
03-02-2012, 02:29 PM
The other day I was talking to a woman from my building & she said her friend dated Davy when she was 20. He still kept in touch with her all these years & in fact he had just sent her tickets to see his show in April. Shows what a nice guy he really was. The woman is totally devastated receiving those tickets to a show that will never be.

Oh, I'm sure she would be devastated! What a terrible thing to happen.

Brooke
03-02-2012, 02:56 PM
Awwww, how sad.

Windeagle
03-02-2012, 03:29 PM
Oh wow. She must be so upset.

The admin assistant at my office is married to a guy who used to work in radio. He had the opportunity to interview Davy a number of years ago. He said he was just as nice off-air as he was on-air. Very friendly, funny, and down to earth, just like he was on the show.

Victim of Love
03-02-2012, 03:33 PM
Just found this in the Stuart (FL) newspaper. In addition to the news item there are several wonderful pictures of Davy on his horse ranch.

http://www.tcpalm.com/news/2012/mar/01/medical-examiners-office-says-davy-jones-died/

sodascouts
03-03-2012, 12:22 AM
Gosh, Nancy, Davy did mean a lot to you. I'm so sorry for all your sadness and tears. I felt like that when George Harrison passed away back in 2001 - it took me an entire weekend to get over the worst, and even now I still cry sometimes when I watch him on DVD or listen to him sing. Isn't it amazing how people whom you've never met creep into your heart and fill your life with so much joy. The worst for me regarding George was that I always dreamed of meeting him, and when he passed on from that awful cancer, I had to put that dream to bed. It's tough.

Yes, and I've changed my avatar back, but I wanted to give him that day. Gosh, I'll miss him.

Molly
03-03-2012, 12:40 PM
For anyone who's interested - Davy Jones wrote 2 books - one I've read and one I haven't.

I have his autobiography " They Made a Monkee out of Me" and he also wrote a book called "Daydream Believin'".

Both are available on Amazon.

And, the Biography channel has been showing his biography as well as a biography on the Monkees.

Henley Honey
03-03-2012, 09:00 PM
I don't know if it's available in other markets, but in the NY area on Antenna TV (ANTTV) they are running a Monkees marathon of all their shows through tomorrow morning. They all look so young. Davy was always my favorite but Peter is kinda cute. I love Micky's facial expressions -- so over the top. Mike really should have ditched that hat with the pom pom.

sodascouts
03-03-2012, 09:09 PM
Micky was my favorite. He wasn't exactly the most handsome, but he was the funniest (IMHO). Still, who could resist Davy? He was adorable. I have the shows on DVD, and I've been watching them over the past few days. In fact, I'm watching one now - "I Was a Teenage Monster."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-0tLSJaCdg

Trivia: Mike did indeed get rid of his trademark wool hat eventually, before the show went off the air. Guess he got tired of it, too!

Victim of Love
03-03-2012, 11:08 PM
Saw this online earlier today and doen't see anyone else put up the link.

http://miami.cbslocal.com/2012/03/02/monkees-singer-davey-jones-fla-memorial-to-be-private/

GlennLover
03-03-2012, 11:31 PM
I have the shows on DVD, and I've been watching them over the past few days. In fact, I'm watching one now - "I Was a Teenage Monster."

Soda, do you have the episode where Davy sings Greensleeves? :inlove:I remember recording it on an old tape recorder that my father had & playing it over & over again.

Topkat
03-04-2012, 11:35 AM
Thanks HH. I was looking for the Monkees on tv. I'm watching it now. Davy is to marry a princess. I haven't seen these since I was a kid. It's so cute & funny, no wonder everyone loved that show. Davy was my favorite. That accent really gets me. I once dated a guy with a British accent. When he left a message for me, I played it over & over again. I think I was in love with his voice...but his tea addiction did get to me! The Brits really do love tea. I never did get that. :headscratch:

sodascouts
03-04-2012, 03:45 PM
Soda, do you have the episode where Davy sings Greensleeves? :inlove:I remember recording it on an old tape recorder that my father had & playing it over & over again.

"The Monkees Mind Their Manor"! I have it, although I haven't gotten to it yet as it's in the second season and I'm only just now wrapping up the first.

It's interesting that back then, you'd typically have 30+ shows per season. Nowadays, 25 is the typical high end. Maybe it's because they cost more money to make now.

TimothyBFan
03-05-2012, 10:37 AM
For anyone who's interested - Davy Jones wrote 2 books - one I've read and one I haven't.

I have his autobiography " They Made a Monkee out of Me" and he also wrote a book called "Daydream Believin'".

Both are available on Amazon.

And, the Biography channel has been showing his biography as well as a biography on the Monkees.

I've read both of these books and have at least one of them stashed away. Out of curiosity the end of last week, I went on Amazon and Half.com to see if they still had them... Best price for Half.com for They Made A Monkee Out Of Me... $131.00+ and on Amazon they ranged right around $100 also. Nice to know greed is still alive and well when someone famous passes away. Sickening!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ETA: Looked in just now on Amazon for Daydream Believin', $999.00. I think Amazon should do something about this to keep people from doing this. I'm sorry, but just wrong!!!

Topkat
03-05-2012, 01:52 PM
Yes, greed is alive & well in America. I did see a few copies of "They Made A Monkee Out of Me" in the $36.00 range.
One of those expensive copies is signed by Davy, so that would be worth more.
I would like to read this. Sorry it took his death to even hear about it.
Sad how people capitalize on someone's death.

sodascouts
03-13-2012, 03:15 AM

I just found this on YouTube! It starts at about 0:50.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2UNXftggco&feature=related

GlennLover
03-13-2012, 01:20 PM
Thanks so much, Soda! I really enjoyed that! It brings back such wonderful memories! :inlove: