PDA

View Full Version : Daylight Saving Time

Henley Honey
03-10-2012, 09:12 PM
For Borderers in the United States, Daylight Savings Time begins on Sunday at 2:00 AM. Don't forget to set your clocks ahead an hour before you go to bed tonight!! No more darkness at 4:30 PM !! It's the first sign that Spring is almost here! :applause:

VAisForEagleLovers
03-10-2012, 10:30 PM
Sniff sniff. Last time change we had, we were in Vegas... Of course, I was turning another year older, so I guess it's good that's not being repeated tonight!

sodascouts
03-10-2012, 11:37 PM
Thanks for the reminder! Hello, spring!

GlennLover
03-11-2012, 12:08 AM
A friend mentioned the time change earlier this evening. It's a good thing he did 'cause I would have been late for church!

Wildthyme
03-11-2012, 12:20 AM
A friend mentioned the time change earlier this evening. It's a good thing he did 'cause I would have been late for church!

I go to early mass and on this Sunday every year the church is only about 1/2 full because a lot of people forget to change their clocks. Of course that means that the late mass is packed...

Funny thing is even if I forgot the time change was tonight it really wouldn't be much of a problem because other than the clock on my stove every one of mine updates itself...good ol' technology... :rofl:

Glennsallnighter
03-11-2012, 04:11 PM
We don't change for another two week! I love the church stories! When we were kids my brother was an altar server. They were told the clocks were to change one weekend and not to miss their masses. John was to serve 8am Mass and duly got up at the equivalent of 6:15 am, only to turn up at the church along with the other boys in his group. To find that their trainer had made a mistake! It was only 645 am!

VAisForEagleLovers
03-11-2012, 04:32 PM
We don't change for another two week! I love the church stories! When we were kids my brother was an altar server. They were told the clocks were to change one weekend and not to miss their masses. John was to serve 8am Mass and duly got up at the equivalent of 6:15 am, only to turn up at the church along with the other boys in his group. To find that their trainer had made a mistake! It was only 645 am!

I have to say, in my lifetime I've been an hour early to church in the fall from not changing the clock several times and only showed up once an hour late in the spring. I'm glad we've moved the time change to mid-March. Too many times it happened on Easter morning, and sunrise service is way too early to deal with a change like that!

Freypower
03-11-2012, 06:35 PM
We don't change back until the beginning of April.

Windeagle
03-11-2012, 10:28 PM
One spring many years ago, I spent the entire day Sunday completely oblivious to the time change. It was only when I was late for work on Monday morning that I remembered.

AzEaglesFan
03-12-2012, 01:39 AM
We don't have to deal with Daylight Saving Time here is Arizona. We are the same year round. BUT, it does change the time that some of our TV shows come on. Glad it's going back.

TimothyBFan
03-12-2012, 08:19 AM
Well let me tell ya what it's like here in my little community in North West Indiana!!!! I had fun explaining this to Nancy & Cathy when they came here one time. I live in the Eastern time zone BUT literally a block away, it is the Central time zone. This also happens to be where the school is located so for years, up until about 2 or 3 years ago, we never had to change our clocks but those in the Central time zone did so for half of the year, we were all on the same time and the other half of the year, if we traveled a block west, we literally lost an hour. My kids got on the school bus at 8 in the morning and arrived at school at 7:05. :headscratch::lol: It was always fun trying to make arrangements to do anything with friends, the constant question was always, "is that fast time or slow time?". We still have to ask the same question whenever you set up an appointment locally or make plans but now that we also change our clocks here, we do it all year around. :thumbsdown:

zeldabjr
03-12-2012, 09:10 AM
That is too funny. Your poor kids must have been so confused. How do you explain that to a little kid? :confused:

Henley Honey
03-12-2012, 09:42 AM
I'd have to move. It would drive me crazy!! :brickwall:

Brooke
03-12-2012, 10:25 AM
Oh my Willie, that would be hard! I would always be confused!

VAisForEagleLovers
03-12-2012, 10:42 AM
TBF, my sister lived in Layfayette for a total of six years and in the first two or three of those, she really thought she lived in the central timezone! She got TV stations from Chicago and Indianapolis and could never figure out what time anything was on.

sodascouts
03-12-2012, 02:45 PM
I had a similar experience in Indiana. After I got accepted to Purdue, I flew up to Indiana from Texas to look for an apartment. At the time, Indiana and Texas were both "Central" time. When I flew up again to actually start school, Indiana was an hour ahead of Texas time. I remember when I landing thinking "I could've sworn Texas and Indiana were in the same time zone..." lol. Of course I learned the truth when the next Daylight Savings change hit!

Now, however, Indiana has joined the ranks of the states who participate in Daylight Savings. I remember there was a big debate over whether Indiana should stay Central all year or stay Eastern all year. Eastern won out, except for a couple counties by Illinois.

TimothyBFan
03-12-2012, 02:51 PM
Yes, our wonderful governor (NOT) spent millions of hours and dollars trying to get the word out that the 2 counties there were on central time should all go to the same time as the rest of the state so the WHOLE state would be on the same time, yadda, yadda, yadda. After it was all said and done there are now 5 counties that are on central and of course good ol' New Carlisle is smack dab in the middle of both time zones. It's a big joke around here and it's always fun seeing the looks on people's faces when you try to explain that a block down the street it's "slow time". :brickwall: