PDA

View Full Version : Don Henley Encourages Downloading!

sodascouts
04-12-2007, 07:44 PM
Check out this quote I found from 2002! Apparently Don said this at a concert in Atlanta's Chastain Theater in October of that year:

"Don Henley encourag[ed] everyone to 'Download all you want'. 'The record companies have been ripping artists off for years', he said. 'Go ahead. I’d rather lose money to you than them. I don't have a contract with you.'

The crowd roads with delight."

http://www.brushstroke.tv/week02_21.html

Dang! You go, Don!

DonFan
04-12-2007, 11:30 PM
"Download all you want!" I love that man. Have I mentioned that lately? :D

I am so sorry that I wasn't at that Chastain concert. That concert happened two years before I "re-discovered" Don at the Chastain concert in the summer of 2004.

The rest, as they say, is history.

glenneaglesfan
04-13-2007, 05:32 AM
Great to have Don's 'official' approval!

Molly
04-13-2007, 08:51 AM
Download as long as you do it legally, I hope that's what Don was saying. Unless, of course, he'd like to volunteer to pay the fines his fans may incur with the RIAA!

Here in Wisconsin, there have been extensive news stories about the RIAA targeting college campuses, asking for lists of students, so they can investigate those students who have been using sites like Limewire and other "sharing" sites to get their downloads.

I've warned my son at Marquette not to use these sites and I certainly hope he's heeding my advice. Apparently RIAA will give you a one time opportunity to "pay up" for your downloads, and if you don't, they'll be hitting you with hefty fines.

sodascouts
04-13-2007, 09:36 AM
If he's talking about legal downloading, he must not find the venture very profitable - he's talking about losing money as a result!

I think I might have mentioned this before, but every semester, I have my business writing class do recommendation reports on issues with internet copyright. One of the groups does music, and they've discussed the college issue. They said that part of the motivation of targeting students is to get more universities to buy downloading services, which they could then add into the student fees along with their tuition, whether the students want to use the service or not. I know Purdue has such a service, although at this point it is still optional. That could change, though.

What a great racket.