PDA

View Full Version : St. Patrick's Day

zeldabjr
03-17-2012, 11:22 AM
Happy St. Patrick's Day to everyone! It's time for corned beef and cabbage and green beer!

lizzyplays
03-17-2012, 11:31 AM
Happy St. Patrick's Day!! :partytime: :cheers:

I have a rather 'un' fond memory of St. Pat's Day as a kid. You remember how it was customary to pinch someone not wearing green (or maybe that was a silly southern thing)... Well, my mother is English and apparently YEARS ago there was some bad blood between the countries of Ireland and England and so she would NEVER let us celebrate anything to do with the holiday. So.... I always dreaded going to school because I couldn't wear anything green and I was pinched constantly, all day long! As I reached my teens, I learned to just tell them I had on green underwear. Still didn't help too much with the pinching though because everyone pinched first and asked questions later!! :shrug:

sodascouts
03-17-2012, 11:36 AM
Ah, too bad you didn't realize that if someone pinches you falsely, you get to pinch them back!

I'm using my "Glenn in a green suit" avatar for today - my nod toward the day on the board.

I have both English and Irish ancestry so no sweat with any Irish Republican issues.

lizzyplays
03-17-2012, 11:59 AM
My heritage is half English (i was born there too) and half REDNECK, which is my father's side. I honestly don't claim that part.

Anyways, no issues from me either. It was only traumatic as a 7 year old... these days it's a great day to celebrate!

Henley Honey
03-17-2012, 12:14 PM
My favorite Irish Prayer . . .

May God give you . . .
For every storm, a rainbow.
For every tear, a smile.
For every care, a promise,
and a blessing in each trial.
For every problem life sends,
a faithful friend to share.
For every sigh, a sweet song,
and an answer for each prayer.

Happy St. Patrick's Day!

zeldabjr
03-17-2012, 12:37 PM
Ah, too bad you didn't realize that if someone pinches you falsely, you get to pinch them back!

I'm using my "Glenn in a green suit" avatar for today - my nod toward the day on the board.

I have both English and Irish ancestry so no sweat with any Irish Republican issues.

I am English and Irish also. love Glenn in the green!

Windeagle
03-17-2012, 12:57 PM
I'm Irish by marriage!:cheers:

Freypower
03-17-2012, 05:35 PM
HAPPY ST PATRICK'S DAY!!!!

I am proudly Irish-Australian. My great-great grandfather on my father's side was Irish. Our family comes from Kilmallock in County Limerick. I celebrate the day with great pride every year by wearing green & drinking Guinness. (And putting green & Irish themed fridge magnets on the fridge for the week - thanks to GA for those lovely magnets of Dublin which have graced the fridge this week).

My husband is English, though, & I think that probably means I will never visit Ireland, but I celebrate the place for its music & literature.

To quote the Pogues:

Where'ere we go we celebrate
The land that makes us refugees

Glennsallnighter
03-17-2012, 07:39 PM
Thanks FP!

Well as you all know

I'M 100 % IRISH

My mother is from County Meath and my Father from County Cork!

But from 'where it all started'

HAPPY ST PATRICKS DAY TO ALL ON THE BORDER

GlennLover
03-17-2012, 07:55 PM
I have Irish & English ancestry too, though I'm having the most trouble tracing my Irish roots. They call the city where I live "the most Irish city in Canada"! Many immigrants arrived during the potato famine.
HAPPY ST PATRICK'S DAY!

Glennsallnighter
03-17-2012, 07:59 PM
Yeah, thats right. It was a fact that if there was fever on the emigrant ships when they arrived in the US the emigrants were denied entry, so the ships went on to Canada where apparently it was less of a problem!

Brooke
03-18-2012, 11:09 AM
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y63/desperado74/Family/Greetings/7a2c16bf.jpg

HH, that was a lovely St. Patrick's Day prayer. Thanks for posting it. I have some Irish and English blood but don't know anything about where it started. I would like to search that out, but haven't found the time yet.

We actually celebrated last night. One of our nieces birthday is on the day and there was a party with everyone asked to wear green. Green drinks were also served. Had a great time!