PDA

View Full Version : Cape Town, South Africa April 4, 2012

VAisForEagleLovers
04-06-2012, 12:58 PM
A teeny-tiny review that includes a YouTube link to Hotel California performed Wednesday evening.

http://cityofsunshineandstorms.blogspot.com/2012/04/eagles-have-landed.html

VAisForEagleLovers
04-06-2012, 01:05 PM
Some random review comments on a guitar forum:

1. hey guys. was at the eagles last night and it was awesome. joe walsh is one heckuva player man, friggin 'ell, lol!

2. Yep, Joe Walsh was in top form. All of them were. A great concert, good sound for an open air venue. Their voices are as good as they always were.

I liked it when Joe was introduced as "known to hotel staff and law enforcement agencies right across the world"... One of the best bands ever! Don Henley was great as always. I'm always amazed with drummer vocalists - don't know how they manage to drum and sing! And he's a particularly good vocalist even when drumming.

All, except Joe Walsh who appears to be getting younger, looks slightly more grey than on the Hell Freezes over DVD, but they sound the same - simply great!

3. Yep, Joe Walsh was in top form. All of them were. A great concert, good sound for an open air venue. Their voices are as good as they always were.

I liked it when Joe was introduced as "known to hotel staff and law enforcement agencies right across the world"... One of the best bands ever! Don Henley was great as always. I'm always amazed with drummer vocalists - don't know how they manage to drum and sing! And he's a particularly good vocalist even when drumming.

All, except Joe Walsh who appears to be getting younger, looks slightly more grey than on the Hell Freezes over DVD, but they sound the same - simply great!

VAisForEagleLovers
04-06-2012, 01:37 PM
'Granny' give the Eagles a somewhat good review, but the stadium does not. Includes another picture of Glenn in a shirt that may be pink, or purple, or even white with a pink or purple spotlight on him. Hard to say.

http://granny1947.wordpress.com/2012/04/05/granny-and-the-eagles/

Henley Honey
04-06-2012, 02:16 PM
Thanks, VA. As usual you're on the ball. I'm still searching for a set list.

Victim of Love
04-06-2012, 02:31 PM
Thanks VA...despite my obsessive searching I've still been unable to find anything in the newspapers or on social media. Too bad Granny seems to have had a less-than-positive-memorable time. Heck, I would have been happy to be OUTSIDE the stadium while they played just to be in close proximity!

My search continues....

VAisForEagleLovers
04-06-2012, 02:40 PM
VOL, I know what you mean! Most of the newspapers don't even seem to have a section that would have concert reviews. I found one that had quite a few, though, but none were of the Eagles concerts. Maybe they wait and do it for the weekend...

TimothyBFan
04-06-2012, 05:00 PM

Really? You think so? Of course---that was over a decade and a half ago. I'm a bit greyer (well, I imagine I am under the highlights) than I was in the mid 90's also.

I haven't been on for a couple days and was hoping to get some info on the concert but I see not much out there. It's funny that the link to HC that that article linked to is one that the high powers have gotten to with no audio. :hilarious:

Victim of Love
04-06-2012, 05:35 PM
Let's hope that Sun City, Johannesburg and Dubai result in some quick reviews and posts. I'm still puzzled that there is nothing showing up on YouTube -- however, 'Granny' gave the impression in her blog that fans were checked over very carefully so I wonder if they were policed during the show as well? I volunteer to tag along with the band as their official reporter/photographer so these oversights don't continue to happen.

Freypower
04-06-2012, 06:17 PM
'Granny' give the Eagles a somewhat good review, but the stadium does not. Includes another picture of Glenn in a shirt that may be pink, or purple, or even white with a pink or purple spotlight on him. Hard to say.

http://granny1947.wordpress.com/2012/04/05/granny-and-the-eagles/

I think the shirt was the pale purple one.

I fail to see the point of a 'review' which only talks about the writer's disappointment with the venue. Really.

StephUK
04-06-2012, 06:59 PM
Hotel California with sound(at the moment) and good quality picture

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ZY5brrHAKw

sodascouts
04-06-2012, 11:27 PM
Thanks for being on the ball! I hope more leaks out. We're dying here!

Koala
04-07-2012, 04:16 AM
Thanks, VA. Thanks Steph!

zeldabjr
04-07-2012, 08:34 PM
Hotel California with sound(at the moment) and good quality picture

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ZY5brrHAKw

Thanks for finding this...I keep watching it over and over.

Tori
04-07-2012, 09:55 PM
I keep watching it over and over.

Me too... they still sound so awesome. :thumbsup:

Mrs Frey
04-10-2012, 07:17 AM
Ah, here I am at last, everybody, and I'v got less than 10 minutes in which to post my thoughts about the Eagles in Cape Town/South Africa. :sigh:

I had such a ridiculously busy week until Saturday evening, but as soon as I thought I would welcome the slowed down pace of Sunday and yesterday, I had show withdrawal symptoms. :spin: Crazy, I know. :headscratch:

Thank you to all of you for your well wishes for our show run, as well as your empathy regarding my not being able to attend the Eagles' Cape Town show. I really appreciate all the kind words and support. :grouphug:

Anyway, I am still not mobile (I haven't had my car in nearly four weeks ::brickwall:- I've been relying on my father and friends for transport to and from our shows at the Roxy), so I also haven't been able to scan the newspapers for any information on the Eagles.

As far as the Cape Town show is concerned, I tried to extract as much information as I could from my Facebook friend who attended the show. Unfortunately, she's not a long-time fan, and confessed that there were many of the songs performed that she didn't know. However, I managed to glean the following:

They wore casual clothes, i.e. jeans - not suits. Glenn :heart: introduced "Lyin' Eyes" using his trustee "Plaintiff" joke (hehehe). Songs included in the setlist were "Take It Easy", "Heartache Tonight", "New Kid In Town" and "Tequila Sunrise" (the last two are very interesting considering that a listener claimed these were not included in the Johannesburg setlist! :headscratch: Maybe my friend got it wrong!), "I Can't Tell You Why" and "Love Will Keep Us Alive". "Hotel California" and "Desperado" were definitely played, and left for last, apparently. Oh yes, and "Dirty Laundry" was also included.

Apparently, tickets were still being sold at the gate when my friend was waiting for the show to start, so it was delayed by 20 minutes :roll: How typical of Capetonians to leave things until the last minute.

One of the messages sent to the radio station stated that the Eagles would put the members of younger, more modern bands to shame with their musical prowess (those weren't the exact words, but you get the picture :wink:).

By the way, there was more to the "Top Billing" interview than what was posted on YouTube. A friend of mine recorded it - perhaps I can make a plan to share it with all of you, although at this stage I cannot promise anything.

Tomorrow our series of shows continue for the next four days, and although I will be at work tomorrow and Thursday, I won't have time to join all of you on The Border, unfortunately. :sad:

I hope this little bit of information has helped to satisfy your need for information about how the boys did in South Africa! :grin:

EaglesKiwi
04-10-2012, 07:39 AM
Thanks so much, Monique! Really appreciate you taking the few spare minutes you have to update us all. :hug:

EaglesKiwi
04-10-2012, 08:30 AM
My apologies if this is a double-up, but there were two articles in the Times - one is for Capetown (the sushi one) and the other is for Joburg.

The Cape Town one (different writer!) wasn't really worth wondering about! I did the 14-day free trial subscription, I have copied it out below.

Headlined: Eagles Roll Back The Years

Members of US rock band The Eagles nibbled on sushi and oysters between concerts that bristled with celebrity fans in South Africa.

Architect to the country’s rich and famous, Stefan Antoni, and his wife, Carla, were among 25 000 fans who descended on the Cape Town Stadium on Wednesday.

The band, which has sold over 120 million albums worldwide, performed at Sun City last night and play at the FNB Stadium in Johannesburg tonight.

The well-heeled Antoni couple formed part of a pre-concert party at the One&Only Hotel. They were joined by prominent events organizer Julia Kilias and a group of friends, who flew in especially from the Seychelles.

Kilias said: “The concert was a walk down memory lane. The band was very humble, one would expect them to be much more arrogant.”

Thousands of smartphones flickered as the group performed hits including Hotel California and Heartache Tonight.

Guitarist Joe Walsh, who paired long silver locks and a yin yang shirt with a brown leather jacket, played intricate solos that drew gasps from the crowd.

Don Henley, on vocals and percussion, said: “It’s been 40 years. We’re still here because you’re still here.”

The Eagles formed in Los Angeles in 1971, have been listed as one of the most successful rock bands of all time.

Off the stage in Cape Town, the musicians had seafood at the Sevruga Restaurant, at the V&A Waterfront. “They were here two nights in a row,” said manager Dave Edwards. “They had a mixture of everything. They were very friendly and left decent tips. They even gave the waitress a plectrum.”

There was also a photo of Glenn, captioned "Still got it. The Eagles founding member Glenn Frey performing in Cape Town this week."

The photo was taken by Michael Currin. I found his facebook page which has 9 concert photos on it - sounds like the photos referred to earlier, but here's the link again.
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.357069820996071.75275.113838461985876&type=1#!/photo.php?fbid=357072134329173&set=a.357069820996071.75275.113838461985876&type=3&theater (http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.357069820996071.75275.113838461985876&type=1#%21/photo.php?fbid=357072134329173&set=a.357069820996071.75275.113838461985876&type=3&theater)

I did like Don's comment ("We're still here because you're still here). That was cute.

sodascouts
04-10-2012, 11:37 AM
Thank you for all the details!

SteveJoburg
04-12-2012, 08:24 AM
I found a pic on FB I thought you peeps might like to see... Taken in Cape Town. The man in the middle is Benjy Mudie, legendary South African record label owner and music man...
He created Tusk Records in the Seventies and any Eagles record you bought until not too long ago was on the Tusk label in SA. (This is from his FB page, and I doubt he would mind!)

http://i1059.photobucket.com/albums/t436/SteveJoburg/427782_10150939818363858_544283857_13180884_586769 854_n.jpg

PS I'm pretty sure that the shirt Don is wearing is EXACTLY the same one he wore to the Jo'burg concert...

TimothyBFan
04-12-2012, 08:30 AM
OMG!!!! Good find Steve!!!! Love it but I have to ask, and I don't often say this about what Timothy wears because he seems to have such style, but, what the heck is this that Timothy has on? :headscratch:

Prettymaid
04-12-2012, 08:33 AM
PS I'm pretty sure that the shirt Don is wearing is EXACTLY the same one he wore to the Jo'burg concert...

Probably so....we've have talked several times about Don's limited wardrobe. :)

Great photo!. Thanks!

Victim of Love
04-12-2012, 09:08 AM
TBF, I noticed that in another picture and can only figure that Timothy is either weather a soccer shirt under the white dress shirt OR he went shopping and found something really cool he isn't ready to reveal to us!

sodascouts
04-12-2012, 09:58 AM
Lol! That was my idea too - he's feebly trying to hide something with a white button-up! The difference is that I think he's hiding it out of shame. From what we can see, it looks pretty hideous.

Thanks for finding this, Steve!

SteveJoburg
04-12-2012, 10:07 AM
Thought you might like that... :thumbsup:

Several comments under Benjy's pic, several from folks who went to the shows and loved it... An example:

LOVED the show in Jhb!! Awesome!! Wished they'd done Heart of the matter, Help me through the night & Last Resort BUT the ultimate for me was DESPERADO!! Would have loved to have seen the show a couple more times!!! ......

Koala
04-12-2012, 11:55 AM
Welcome from me, too, Steve!

Thanks for He Photos and reviews.

Brooke
04-12-2012, 03:22 PM
OMG!!!! Good find Steve!!!! Love it but I have to ask, and I don't often say this about what Timothy wears because he seems to have such style, but, what the heck is this that Timothy has on? :headscratch:

:hilarious: As I was admiring the photo and trying to figure out what Timothy had on, I was also wondering what your were thinking of it, Willie!

Forgive me, I'm thinking it is one of those thingies (trendy top) you wear under a short top for coverage, I've seen advertised lately:

https://www.gettrendytop.com/?tag=im|sm|go|gn&a_aid=011&a_bid=8e56370e

:rofl:

Then I noticed the bright stripes through the white shirt. Really Tim, what were you thinking? :hand:

Brooke
04-12-2012, 03:23 PM
I found a pic on FB I thought you peeps might like to see... Taken in Cape Town. The man in the middle is Benjy Mudie, legendary South African record label owner and music man...
He created Tusk Records in the Seventies and any Eagles record you bought until not too long ago was on the Tusk label in SA. (This is from his FB page, and I doubt he would mind!)

http://i1059.photobucket.com/albums/t436/SteveJoburg/427782_10150939818363858_544283857_13180884_586769 854_n.jpg

I just had to bring this forward for more "discussion". Thanks for finding it SteveJ!

zeldabjr
04-12-2012, 03:48 PM
I saw this pic earlier today and thought...good pic of the guys...never noticed the Timothy attire...now that you mention it...what is that he has on?...can't figure it out...

zelda

Ive always been a dreamer
04-12-2012, 04:29 PM
OMG - I LOVE that picture of the guys no matter what Tim is wearing. Thanks for posting that, Steve.

Freypower
04-12-2012, 06:05 PM
I saw this pic earlier today and thought...good pic of the guys...never noticed the Timothy attire...now that you mention it...what is that he has on?...can't figure it out...

zelda

It actually looks like an Australian Rules football jersey because it appears to have no sleeves. How he found something like that in South Africa I don't know. I don't think it's a 'real' football (soccer) jersey because they have sleeves.

TimothyBFan
04-12-2012, 08:40 PM
:hilarious: As I was admiring the photo and trying to figure out what Timothy had on, I was also wondering what your were thinking of it, Willie!

Forgive me, I'm thinking it is one of those thingies (trendy top) you wear under a short top for coverage, I've seen advertised lately:

https://www.gettrendytop.com/?tag=im|sm|go|gn&a_aid=011&a_bid=8e56370e (https://www.gettrendytop.com/?tag=im%7Csm%7Cgo%7Cgn&a_aid=011&a_bid=8e56370e)

:rofl:

Then I noticed the bright stripes through the white shirt. Really Tim, what were you thinking? :hand:

I was thinking, "why did Timothy buy a trendy top?". :hilarious: JK but I noticed it right away. My eyes are trained to go right to him and it stuck out like crazy. Very strange!!!

zeldabjr
04-12-2012, 09:49 PM
JK but I noticed it right away. My eyes are trained to go right to him and it stuck out like crazy. Very strange!!!

I thought I was the only one who did this... I guess we all probably go right to our fave...sometimes when I"m watching a video I feel guilty because I never look at anyone else...I think they could be in their underwear and I wouldn't notice...at least not right away.:)

zelda