PDA

View Full Version : Lost Magic

shanelle lee
04-06-2012, 06:11 PM
I think that the Eagles lost a lot of their magic after Randy left them. It's really sad to me, an Eagles fan since high school in the early 1970s. To me, Eagles haven't done anything good since Hotel Calefornia. I'm sure, in concert they are tight and Tim has been a terrific substitute, but from everything I've heard and everything I've witnessed since Randy left, I think the Eagles lost something truly special when he moved on. I still respect the four remaining members and love some of their solo work [Don Henley in particular] and I'm sure they are absolutely fabulous in concert but I couldn't bear to see them without Randy because its just not the same.

Freypower
04-06-2012, 06:25 PM
I'm afraid I beg to differ that they have done 'nothing good since Hotel California'. There are some great tracks on The Long Run, and Long Road Out Of Eden is just superb, at least to me. I have seen old videos of them with Randy but Tim is just as good, in my opinion.

Obviously if you have no interest in seeing them these days that's your choice, but they really are worth it.

shanelle lee
04-06-2012, 06:55 PM
See next post - what a mess-up

shanelle lee
04-06-2012, 07:01 PM
You are certainly within your rights to beg to differ. I don't have interest in going to see Eagles now because I reiterate what I said in the previous forum - its like going to see AC/DC without Angus. I don't feel like I'm missing out because I can put on a CD anytime I want and listen to any Eagles song I like and I'm not parting with $150-00. I didn't care much for The Long Run apart from the title track and Tim's song 'I can't tell you why'. To me, The Long Run, being a double album was a big waste of money to get two good songs whereas on Hotel Calefornia I liked all the songs. You can do what you want with your money and your time and that's your priviledge but I think that you have to respect other people's opinions as well. I would prefer to go see a show with Randy and Felder involved but that's impossible because Eagles can't leave Tim out. Sometimes, in life, its horses for courses. :)

Freypower
04-06-2012, 07:03 PM
You are certainly within your rights to beg to differ. I don't have interest in going to see Eagles now because I reiterate what I said in the previous forum - its like going to see AC/DC without Angus. I don't feel like I'm missing out because I can put on a CD anytime I want and listen to any Eagles song I like and I'm not parting with $150-00. I didn't care much for The Long Run apart from the title track and Tim's song 'I can't tell you why'. To me, The Long Run, being a double album was a big waste of money to get two good songs whereas on Hotel Calefornia I liked all the songs. You can do what you want with your money and your time and that's your priviledge but I think that you have to respect other people's opinions as well. I would prefer to go see a show with Randy and Felder involved but that's impossible because Eagles can't leave Tim out. Sometimes, in life, its horses for courses. :)

The Long Run wasn't a double album. Long Road Out Of Eden was a double album.

shanelle lee
04-06-2012, 07:31 PM
The Long Run Album I bought was a double album or maybe not. That was more than thirty years ago and who cares? Whatever, anyway! I only liked two songs on that album and having waited three years for the work to be published and paying what was a lot of money back in those days for the album, it was disappointing. Then, they broke up! It was tough for us die-hard Eagles fans back then because we had made a firm commitment to these musicians and a lot of us felt really let down by the album and by the break-up. You might be too young to remember all of this stuff but my friends and I were very committed to the musicians whom we financially supported. If you like The Long Run, that's up to you. I didn't, and some of my friends didn't like it either. We grew up with One of These Nights and Hotel Calefornia, On the Border and living our lives to 'Take It Easy', Victim of Love etc. And, as far as I'm concerned, my friends and I had invested a lot of time and money in these guys. True, I couldn't get to concerts but I had most if not all of their albums and so did my friends and we had 45 records, too so it wasn't like we didn't believe in the Eagles, because we loved them!:)

Freypower
04-06-2012, 07:52 PM
The Long Run Album I bought was a double album or maybe not. That was more than thirty years ago and who cares? Whatever, anyway! I only liked two songs on that album and having waited three years for the work to be published and paying what was a lot of money back in those days for the album, it was disappointing. Then, they broke up! It was tough for us die-hard Eagles fans back then because we had made a firm commitment to these musicians and a lot of us felt really let down by the album and by the break-up. You might be too young to remember all of this stuff but my friends and I were very committed to the musicians whom we financially supported. If you like The Long Run, that's up to you. I didn't, and some of my friends didn't like it either. We grew up with One of These Nights and Hotel Calefornia, On the Border and living our lives to 'Take It Easy', Victim of Love etc. And, as far as I'm concerned, my friends and I had invested a lot of time and money in these guys. True, I couldn't get to concerts but I had most if not all of their albums and so did my friends and we had 45 records, too so it wasn't like we didn't believe in the Eagles, because we loved them!:)

I am 51. I became an Eagles fan in 1975. I bought both Hotel California & The Long Run when they were released.

For what it is worth this is the track listing of The Long Run:

https://eaglesonlinecentral.com/eagles/longrun/index.htm

shanelle lee
04-06-2012, 07:59 PM
Okay, that's good. So what? And I don't mean any disrespect but I think you need to be more objective in your posts and a little less subjective in your attitude about the Eagles especially if you are a moderator/mediator on this site. Just because someone has an opinion or feels different to you, doesn't mean they are wrong. Also, from what I've read about the etiquette on this 'message board', these posts between you and I are not appropriate and I would have expected that in your position, you might have exercised more control. I've only been on this forum hardly 24 hours and I already have been made to feel that I can't express myself openly. No one else is worried about what I have to say. Just you. :eyebrow:

Shadowland07
04-06-2012, 09:47 PM

Wow...uh it's nothing like seeing AC/DC without Angus. If anything it's like seeing them without their first bassist Mark Evans, who I don't miss at all, I much prefer Cliff Williams. Now if you were to say that seeing the Eagles without Glenn or Don H. I could see how that would be like seeing AC/DC without Angus but other than that it's not even close. Sure we all miss Randy but it's pretty obvious they haven't lost any magic. If they did then the Eagles would be out touring state fairs and what not like other bands from their era but obviously their not.

Shadowland07
04-06-2012, 09:51 PM

Uh...I'm 21 and I'm also a commited fan of these guys and even I knew it was a double album. It was planned on being one if I remember correctly but never was released as one. Eagles Live is a double album though. Anyways I don't think age is a factor...so yeah.

shanelle lee
04-06-2012, 10:12 PM
Hi Shadowland,

Good point about Angus and AC/DC. I didn't think of the situation quite like you. Okay, granted the Eagles are playing big arenas and doing a terrific job. I'm really pleased for them because all of them deserve to come back and conquer. Maybe what upsets me is that we are all getting old and our glory days are gone, well, maybe not for the Eagles but for me and that's personal. I miss the roaring years of HC because those days were very exciting and I was very young and my friends and I had a lot of fun - life lived to a soundtrack consisting, to a large extent, of wonderful, creative and insightful songs by the old Eagles. I was disappointed with The Long Run but so what? If the Eagles made moneyfrom it and other people loved it, that's all that's important. I'm one little fish in a huge sea. I did appreciate your sobering comments and thanks for taking the time to communicate. I'm a little out of practice in the debating area, I'm afraid. :)

Shadowland07
04-06-2012, 10:21 PM
Hi Shadowland,

Good point about Angus and AC/DC. I didn't think of the situation quite like you. Okay, granted the Eagles are playing big arenas and doing a terrific job. I'm really pleased for them because all of them deserve to come back and conquer. Maybe what upsets me is that we are all getting old and our glory days are gone, well, maybe not for the Eagles but for me and that's personal. I miss the roaring years of HC because those days were very exciting and I was very young and my friends and I had a lot of fun - life lived to a soundtrack consisting, to a large extent, of wonderful, creative and insightful songs by the old Eagles. I was disappointed with The Long Run but so what? If the Eagles made moneyfrom it and other people loved it, that's all that's important. I'm one little fish in a huge sea. I did appreciate your sobering comments and thanks for taking the time to communicate. I'm a little out of practice in the debating area, I'm afraid. :)

hey its cool we're all Eagles fans. but you might interested to know that there's a recent Rolling Stone interview with Glenn about the possibility of Randy and Bernie maybe joining the Eagles for some shows.

The fans would love to see Randy Meisner and Bernie Leadon back on stage with you guys at some point on that tour. Do you think that's possible at some point?
Well, I think . . . I don't know. I don't know. I don't want to say that's hard for me to envision right now but, like I said, I don't know yet. I have to think about all of this stuff but, obviously, my head is somewhere else for the next couple of months. Like we usually do, the four of us will sit down some place on the road and we'll get in a dressing room or get into somebody's hotel room and we'll go, "Well, here's what I think we should be doing" or, "Here's what are options are this year. What do you think?" and we'll talk about it. That conversation will probably take place sometime this year

Read more: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/exclusive-q-a-glenn-frey-on-his-solo-lp-the-eagles-40th-anniversary-plans-20120323#ixzz1rJjSFals

shanelle lee
04-06-2012, 10:34 PM
Hey Shadowland!

I can't thank you enough for posting me the Rolling Stone article. I don't get to buy or read RS enough these days. It's nice of you to consider my feelings but I'm not sure about Randy going back with Eagles because he's 66 years old now and I've heard he's not all that well so for him it might be too late. But, hey, I appreciate your kind gesture very, very much.

Also, after your previous post about Angus, I was thinking about the dynamics of Pink Floyd because they lost their base player, Roger Waters and I can guess that you would probably be familiar with their melodrama. Roger, as you would know, wrote most if not all their songs. Pink Floyd was another of my mega-favourites and I have missed Roger since he left them. They would be another band I couldn't go see if Roger wasn't with them. They are like the Eagles and employ sidemen to help out. Make sense? Or have I got it wrong again?

sodascouts
04-06-2012, 11:05 PM
Okay, that's good. So what? And I don't mean any disrespect but I think you need to be more objective in your posts and a little less subjective in your attitude about the Eagles especially if you are a moderator/mediator on this site. Just because someone has an opinion or feels different to you, doesn't mean they are wrong. Also, from what I've read about the etiquette on this 'message board', these posts between you and I are not appropriate and I would have expected that in your position, you might have exercised more control. I've only been on this forum hardly 24 hours and I already have been made to feel that I can't express myself openly. No one else is worried about what I have to say. Just you. :eyebrow:

This is your second day posting and you are already berating a moderator and telling her how to do her job? Perhaps I was too quick to welcome you. Either tone it down or find another place to play.

shanelle lee
04-07-2012, 12:25 AM
Okay, sure. I'm gone.

The Thrill Is Never Gone
12-19-2013, 10:54 AM
I have the Long Run CD somewhere but I never play it. There first 5 albums are my favorite. Love Randy's harmonies with Don H and Glenn. His bass playing is wonderful, especially on Out on the Border.

luna65
12-20-2013, 01:09 PM
I tend to favor the early albums myself; I think I imprinted upon them in my childhood and they have more of an emotional impact on me. I listen to On The Border on an almost-weekly basis just because it makes me so happy, beyond how well-made it is. And I always include Desperado in my list of great concept albums.

The Thrill Is Never Gone
12-20-2013, 01:39 PM
I love On the Border too. It is in the car so it gets played at least once a week. I love the variety of songs on the album. You Never Cry Like a Lover is a favorite along with My Man.

randymeisnerrocks
12-20-2013, 02:20 PM
I have the Long Run CD somewhere but I never play it.

I have to agree. I don't play anything after that, either.

As much as I love Frey, Henley, Walsh and Schmidt (and I absolutely DO), it's just not the same for me personally. In my opinion, the music has suffered without Leadon, Meisner and Felder. But it does no good to rehash it. They are gone and not coming back, so I will have to be content with the older recordings.

The Thrill Is Never Gone
12-20-2013, 02:22 PM
We will always know that is Randy, Bernie and Fingers playing and singing on those albums. You can't take that away.

sodascouts
12-20-2013, 02:23 PM
Yeah, that incarnation of the band has been gone for over three decades. It's a shame that you can't enjoy the new music but at least you can replay those five Eagles albums again and again. You can also listen to the solo work, if you have it, and find some comfort there.

randymeisnerrocks
12-20-2013, 03:14 PM
Yeah, that incarnation of the band has been gone for over three decades. It's a shame that you can't enjoy the new music but at least you can replay those five Eagles albums again and again. You can also listen to his solo work, if you have it, and find some comfort there.

I already know how to get my fix. LOL

Honestly, I can listen to the older songs over and over again and they still sound awesome to me, thank God. And judging by the sales and radio plays, I must not be alone.

The Thrill Is Never Gone
12-20-2013, 03:27 PM
I agree. The radio stations play the older songs quite a bit. A day does not go by where I do not here at least one song from those albums on the radio.

moonlight74
12-20-2013, 03:34 PM
Yeah, that incarnation of the band has been gone for over three decades. It's a shame that you can't enjoy the new music but at least you can replay those five Eagles albums again and again. You can also listen to the solo work, if you have it, and find some comfort there.

There is no shame. It is best to comprehend why others choose to exalt one version of recordings over another.

UndertheWire
12-20-2013, 03:57 PM
With the benefit of the documentary and various interviews, it seems that for the band, some of the magic was lost after Hotel California. I'm not sure if Randy leaving was a cause or a result of that loss. However, Timothy brought his own magic. I knew next to nothing about him before this summer but I'm enjoying listening to and watching him - possibly more than Randy.

I still prefer the first four albums and, for me, a little of the magic went with the move to the harder, more guitar-based music. I love that Bernie is back for the current tour and that they're playing so much from the Desperado album.

randymeisnerrocks
12-20-2013, 04:05 PM
Timothy brought his own magic. I knew next to nothing about him before this summer but I'm enjoying listening to and watching him - possibly more than Randy.

Now that's just crazy talk!

Just kidding! I love Timmy.

UndertheWire
12-20-2013, 04:13 PM
Sorry, Randy-lovers!

I should have added that I'm finiding new magic in their later work. How can a bunch of sixtysomethings sound so good? I've also listened to some of the solo work and have found new music to love.

sodascouts
12-20-2013, 05:38 PM
That's a good way to look at it. Old magic has been lost, but new magic has been gained. Certainly Randy is missed but Timothy has added much.

moonlight74
12-20-2013, 11:39 PM
That's a good way to look at it. Old magic has been lost, but new magic has been gained. Certainly Randy is missed but Timothy has added much.

New meets old every day of our lives.

luna65
12-27-2013, 06:43 PM
Us Randy girls all feel that way, can't help it when you're partial to that band member.

I know that feeling; in Yes fandom I'm a huge fan of the 80s version of the band because Trevor Rabin is my favorite musician overall. I think the band suffered after he left and of course it's obvious why that's my opinion.

The Thrill Is Never Gone
12-27-2013, 11:43 PM
Once "they decided" that Bernie and Randy were not needed any more, the group was just not the same. IMO!!!!!

juana_vaina
12-28-2013, 12:05 PM
Once "they decided" that Bernie and Randy were not needed any more, the group was just not the same. IMO!!!!!

Everything "they decided" was for the good of the band... really? :lol::lol::lol:

Grey Sadler
12-28-2013, 01:49 PM

Calling all your negative posts from the last 12-24 hours "opinion" does not change the fact you are trying to stir up crap. You've already been called down by a mod for what you tried to pull in one of the Glenn threads. It's time to grow up or go away, IMO!!

zeldabjr
12-28-2013, 02:25 PM
Get over it!....

MaryCalifornia
12-28-2013, 02:27 PM
Everything "they decided" was for the good of the band... really? :lol::lol::lol:

I'm totally confused. I know that Don and Glenn straight-out fired Don Felder, but I thought it was pretty well accepted that both Bernie and Randy left the band of their own accord. I understand that they weren't happy, for different reasons, but I haven't seen anything that indicates that Don and Glenn actively pushed them out...am I missing something here?? From the doc and the books I've read, it seems to me that they were aware that both Bernie and Randy were unhappy, but nowhere did I get a sense that they were like, "Thank God they left, we wanted them gone anyway."

To phrase this question another way, do you think that today, Glenn and Don are happy that both Bernie and Randy left when they did? I don't.

luna65
12-28-2013, 02:41 PM
In the Now, I think there's a lot of regret on the part of everyone for various things. But taking the sum total of narrative from various sources, in my estimation Glenn, Don and Irving were all incredibly frustrated with Randy and felt he was being self-destructive and they had reached the end of their tether with him; especially if you believe what Irving did to him after he left the band.

As far as Bernie goes, I don't get the same sense of contention when they talk about him, and now maybe all the demons have been laid to rest, finally. But at the time it seems clear that Bernie felt he no longer had a place in the band and that Glenn and Don agreed with him.

MaryCalifornia
12-28-2013, 02:58 PM
Both of these perceptions are fair. And as you describe it, I still don't see it adding up to Don and Glenn being the bad guys. I see very typical band dynamics.

luna65
12-28-2013, 03:26 PM
I think everyone is potentially the bad guy at some point. Most of the bands I love have extremely contentious histories and so I'm used to these kinds of discussions, I suppose. Like TBS says, all bands are on the verge of breaking up at any time for various reasons. Relationships are difficult enough, but when you add in all those other ingredients like fame and money and substance abuse and ego then it's just not going to go well.

UndertheWire
12-28-2013, 03:58 PM
In a 1975 interview with Cameron Crowe, Bernie "admits to twice leaving and rejoining the Eagles" (http://www.theuncool.com/journalism/rs196-the-eagles/). From the same piece, Glenn says, "We never expected to get this far, anyway. I thought we’d break up after our first album.”

Far from deciding "they" could do without Bernie, there was a reluctance to accept that he was leaving. However, it would have been pretty stupid to not start thinking about who could replace him.

MaryCalifornia
12-28-2013, 04:23 PM
Thank you for the info and perspective, UTW.

Grey Sadler
12-28-2013, 04:40 PM
Thank you for the info and perspective, UTW.

+1
Very well stated, UTW.

MaryCalifornia
12-28-2013, 04:53 PM
[QUOTE=UndertheWire;261095]In a 1975 interview with Cameron Crowe, Bernie "admits to twice leaving and rejoining the Eagles" (http://www.theuncool.com/journalism/rs196-the-eagles/).

Now this is interesting. I've always wondered if Randy misplayed it by thinking that if he quit, they would welcome him right back. If it is true that Bernie quit and then came back (especially if he did this more than one time), this could be a dynamic that Randy was expecting to apply to him as well. Do we think Randy left thinking he could come back at any time, or do we think that when he left, he was done with the Eagles forever? Based on his overtures to the band, I'm thinking the former.

Freypower
12-28-2013, 05:13 PM
Given that bands generally have one bass player I don't see how that could have worked unless Randy expected them to ditch Tim so he could return. :nervous:

MaryCalifornia
12-28-2013, 05:37 PM
Agree. Some borderers have suggested that Randy and Timmy could have shared the stage, or something could have been done like what they're doing with Bernie now. That discussion is in another thread somewhere on here. I sure as heck don't like the thought of ditching Timothy! When I suggested that that's what Randy must have been thinking, and that he was MAYBE dismissive of Timothy's role by asking to join them in some shows, I was shot down.

UndertheWire
12-28-2013, 05:45 PM
Interesting idea that Randy might have been thinking he'd be able to return after a cool-off period. With hindsight, they might have been better off taking a breaking, making solo albums and then getting back together to put out a new album in 1979.

ETA: Once they'd brought in Timothy, I don't see how they could have brought back Randy. Timothy seems to have done everything they've asked of him with none of the hassle.

randysgirl
12-28-2013, 11:26 PM
[QUOTE=UndertheWire;261095]In a 1975 interview with Cameron Crowe, Bernie "admits to twice leaving and rejoining the Eagles" (http://www.theuncool.com/journalism/rs196-the-eagles/).

Now this is interesting. I've always wondered if Randy misplayed it by thinking that if he quit, they would welcome him right back. If it is true that Bernie quit and then came back (especially if he did this more than one time), this could be a dynamic that Randy was expecting to apply to him as well. Do we think Randy left thinking he could come back at any time, or do we think that when he left, he was done with the Eagles forever? Based on his overtures to the band, I'm thinking the former.

I have read a lot about Randy from various sources and all I have seen is that he is a nice, shy fellow. I think when he quit, it was mostly due to the tensions in the group as described in the HOTE and I think he needed to get away at that particular time. He probably gave no thought to coming back one way or another. Much later in 1994, he seems to have expressed some interest in returning on a limited basis for HFO, much like Bernie is doing now. The dust had settled by then and emotions had cooled.

I do not think he was trying to get Tim ditched. It seems Tim and Randy have a mutual respect for each other as musicians. Tim showed himself to be a class act when he gave a nod to Randy at the R&R Hall of Fame induction. Randy later put his hand on Tim's shoulder and thanked him as you could see it on camera. I have read somewhere on this site that Tim will not sing TITTL out of respect for Randy's "territory" I think Glenn called it. Randy and Tim both seem to be classy guys.

chaim
12-29-2013, 09:59 AM
If The Long Run is going to be criticised for not containing enough good songs, as has been the case in this thread, then I don't know what it has to do with the loss of Randy. He wrote one song on Hotel California, and from what I've read about the Eagles, he wasn't exactly guiding the process when material was selected and written by others.

Personally I prefer Randy to Timothy. But I don't think the quality of the material (hit material anyway) has that much to do with him being or not being there.

Ive always been a dreamer
12-29-2013, 05:44 PM
This has turned into an interesting discussion. I would have to say that I don't really look at things in terms of lost magic either. I'm one that appreciates the entire Eagles catalog and each band members' contributions very much. I personally don't think they lost anything no matter which band members were in the band or what type of music they recorded.

luna65
12-29-2013, 06:41 PM
It's not an uncommon opinion, though, when discussing a band which counts numerous lineups and decades on its' side. I see it all the time in the Pink Floyd and Yes discussion forums I belong to/moderate. Some people are partial to certain eras and some people like every era, every lineup. Some people want artists/bands to return to their previous sound because that's what they liked best. I see it as a function of history and nostalgia beyond considerations of how deeply invested a person might be in a particular fandom. Granted, I love the glory days but I was glad that - for whatever reason - they decided to come back and at least make us happy to be fans again, and openly acknowledges that the history is one which deserves to be lauded. Many bands can't even get to that point because when choosing how and why and whom to tell the tale just leads to further contention.

Freypower
12-29-2013, 07:13 PM
My beloved Dire Straits is a good example of a band which has never reformed in any way. This might make a new Sake of the Song thread. Should bands reform or not? If so with whom?

UndertheWire
12-29-2013, 08:45 PM
Bernie has said that leaving was "an act of survival". Glenn has said how relieved his parents were when the band broke up because they'd been so worried about him. Randy was finding it hard to balance the demands of band and family. Don Felder welcomed the chance to spend more time with his family. Leaving a band isn't always a bad thing. They were all able to record solo albums where they could write and sing on every track without any squabbles. And we can listen to those solo efforts.

chaim
12-30-2013, 06:21 AM
It's not an uncommon opinion, though, when discussing a band which counts numerous lineups and decades on its' side. I see it all the time in the Pink Floyd and Yes discussion forums I belong to/moderate. Some people are partial to certain eras and some people like every era, every lineup. Some people want artists/bands to return to their previous sound because that's what they liked best. I see it as a function of history and nostalgia beyond considerations of how deeply invested a person might be in a particular fandom. Granted, I love the glory days but I was glad that - for whatever reason - they decided to come back and at least make us happy to be fans again, and openly acknowledges that the history is one which deserves to be lauded. Many bands can't even get to that point because when choosing how and why and whom to tell the tale just leads to further contention.

Yes, but at some point in this thread it was suggested by someone that he/she doesn't like the songs on The Lon Run. The loss of Randy can't be a huge factor there, because he was never the main writer in the group. Let's use YES as an example...Let's think of someone who really likes Bill Bruford. Bill leaves after Close To The Edge. Then they release TFTO, and this person thinks there are not enough good tunes in there. As a Bill fan he thinks that the loss of Bill is the reason for worse tunes on TFTO, although it was Jon and Steve who wrote most of the tunes on the previous album. I realise that it's not exactly the same thing, because Bill probably had more say in what material was used than Randy in the mid-seventies, when Henley and Frey were becoming "the Gods".

luna65
12-31-2013, 12:33 PM
I wasn't suggesting it was entirely analogous (knowing the history of both bands as well as I do) just those type of debates are not at all uncommon in fandom, that's all.

randymeisnerrocks
12-31-2013, 12:51 PM
[quote=UndertheWire;261095]In a 1975 interview with Cameron Crowe, Bernie "admits to twice leaving and rejoining the Eagles" (http://www.theuncool.com/journalism/rs196-the-eagles/).

He doesn't seem like the kind to play games. I think when Randy said he had enough, he had actually had enough. Maybe the only reason "overtures" were made later on is because he was feeling nostalgic? Who wouldn't want to recapture the old magic?

UndertheWire
12-31-2013, 03:19 PM
I just want to point out that only the first line in the quote box was taken from my post. The speculation about Randy's thoughts wasn't mine.

DJ
02-23-2014, 12:10 AM
I honestly think after Randy left he knew he was done with the Eagles. I say an interview with him in the 80's with Gene Clark of the Byrds and Randy like to rock out a bit more than what the Eagles were putting out. He said playing ballads on the bass was pretty boring stuff. But after he left he starting playing acoustic guitar with the Silverados. In the interview he said when he played with Rich and Swan he hadn't played bass in like 8 years. Randy wanted to go off and do his own thing. I do believe he knew it was time, too much madness.

Brooklyn Roads
02-24-2014, 03:47 AM
I am so green with this because over the years I always thought Timothy B. Schmit had been with the band during their entire existence. I had no knowledge of who Randy Meisner or Bernie Leadon were up until the last few years. I knew Don Felder had some connection with them, but not to the extent that I know now.

Now that my ears have become more trained on who's voice is who, I can feel something missing without Randy's high register that is lacking in the Long Run (Although Henley can reach some good high notes, too). Timothy, though, did a great job with "I Can't Tell You Why" and I think with that song alone, he became a true Eagle. But, he just doesn't have the same voice as Randy, so the Eagles will never sound quite the same as they did in the beginning.

But, I would have never known this had I not paid closer attention. Now my trained ears can tell the difference.

I personally like them all for different reasons, even if Meisner is my "new" favorite. They each bring something different to the table. It's too bad they couldn't (and still can't) seem to come to some better terms due to their differences.

Well, I've got to go to bed now! Hopefully I haven't caused too much of a ruckus for my first night on here!

Take care, ya'll (Yeah, there's some country in some of us Californians)

LuvRandy
02-24-2014, 09:13 AM
I am so green with this because over the years I always thought Timothy B. Schmit had been with the band during their entire existence. I had no knowledge of who Randy Meisner or Bernie Leadon were up until the last few years. I knew Don Felder had some connection with them, but not to the extent that I know now.

Now that my ears have become more trained on who's voice is who, I can feel something missing without Randy's high register that is lacking in the Long Run (Although Henley can reach some good high notes, too). Timothy, though, did a great job with "I Can't Tell You Why" and I think with that song alone, he became a true Eagle. But, he just doesn't have the same voice as Randy, so the Eagles will never sound quite the same as they did in the beginning.

But, I would have never known this had I not paid closer attention. Now my trained ears can tell the difference.

I personally like them all for different reasons, even if Meisner is my "new" favorite. They each bring something different to the table. It's too bad they couldn't (and still can't) seem to come to some better terms due to their differences.

Well, I've got to go to bed now! Hopefully I haven't caused too much of a ruckus for my first night on here!

Take care, ya'll (Yeah, there's some country in some of us Californians)

Welcome!!!
Once you start listening to "Randy" songs (there's not tons of them so look them up!) you will love his sweet voice.

Obviously you can tell a Don and Glenn song but Randy's sweet voice comes through loud & clear on his songs and in the background vocals.

And again, welcome to the crowd!

Brooklyn Roads
02-24-2014, 04:40 PM
Welcome!!!
Once you start listening to "Randy" songs (there's not tons of them so look them up!) you will love his sweet voice.

Obviously you can tell a Don and Glenn song but Randy's sweet voice comes through loud & clear on his songs and in the background vocals.

And again, welcome to the crowd!

About ten years ago, my boyfriend had me download "Hearts on Fire" (he's a little older than me, so it was a song he remembered) and I thought it was a fun, upbeat song. I never watched the video, though, and never quite distinguished him as a former Eagle. He had told me he was in the Eagles, but I didn't realize he'd been there almost to the very end and was a major part of the vocalizations. I just thought he had a very minor role in the group! I was really wrong now that I am reading more about him and his impact on the group. I feel a bit lame for just finding this stuff out now, lol (being that I am such a music fan!)

I am excited to sample some of Randy's solo work besides the standard stuff. I am always on the hunt for some new songs to add to my collection.

And, thanks for the warm welcome :)

DJ
02-24-2014, 10:18 PM
Welcome Brooklyn!

You should check out Randy's:
Lonesome Cowgirl
Bad Man (written by Glenn Frey)
Deep inside My Heart (with Kim Carnes)
Just to name a few. I think you'd enjoy them.
You can find them on You Tube. Good Luck. :rockon:

Brooklyn Roads
02-25-2014, 05:08 PM
Welcome Brooklyn!

You should check out Randy's:
Lonesome Cowgirl
Bad Man (written by Glenn Frey)
Deep inside My Heart (with Kim Carnes)
Just to name a few. I think you'd enjoy them.
You can find them on You Tube. Good Luck. :rockon:

I believe I have heard "Deep Inside My Heart" with Kim Carnes. I need to listen again, though, to make sure it's the same song I am thinking of.

The others, I have not heard yet. I am going to definitely check more out on Youtube. We can stream Youtube through our Roku, and we have a 51" TV so, it will literally feel like he's in my bedroom, lol.

DJ
03-15-2014, 04:33 PM
When I listened to the RR Hall of Fame thank you's and really heard Randy speak for the first time he sounds exactly how he sings. Not many people do. I wonder if he can sing anymore....