And another:

http://www.ewn.co.za/Story.aspx?Id=86085

lizzyplays
04-09-2012, 07:38 AM
A picture:

https://twitter.com/#!/JennyGriesel/status/188734196909490176/photo/1/large

lizzyplays
04-09-2012, 07:51 AM
So far, all the tweets have been positive with things like the show was awesome, great, fantastic, etc. and my favorite tweet so far:

"The Eagles concert last nite is proof that hippies with ponytails and ordinary folk can get along just fine."

This next part was the start of a tweet but when I clicked on it, it took me to a subscription page, so this little tidbit is all that I could see:

DTN South Africa ‏ @DTNSouthAfrica Close
DTN South Africa: Eagles Roll Back Years: MEMBERS of US rock band The Eagles nibbled on sushi and oysters betwee... http://bit.ly/IroyWp

So, we know they ate sushi and oysters... :-)

lizzyplays
04-09-2012, 08:10 AM
I've been fiddling around on the above link and oddly enough, I can access any other story on there (without subscription) except the Eagles concert link. Hmmm....

I've tried everything. Maybe someone in another country might have better luck (or access)?

lizzyplays
04-09-2012, 08:14 AM
Another article:

http://www.iol.co.za/tonight/music/soccer-city-rain-welcomes-eagles-1.1272025

lizzyplays
04-09-2012, 08:19 AM
And a picture:

http://instagr.am/p/JMXpJaJLE8/

More pics:

http://www.demotix.com/news/1148463/eagles-concert-johannesburg

and a facebook page with pics from the concert:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.357069820996071.75275.113838461985876&type=1

zeldabjr
04-09-2012, 09:34 AM
Love these Lizzy, thanks... I am confused... one of them said "fourth" concert in SA...I thought there was only three...

Victim of Love
04-09-2012, 10:01 AM
Zelda, where did you find a reference to a fourth concert?

sodascouts
04-09-2012, 10:49 AM
Not much of a review, but saw this:

http://www.artlink.co.za/news_article.htm?contentID=29729

Finally, reviews! Thanks!

I love how the above reviewer talked about the way Joe Walsh stood out when he performed "his solo hit Dirty Laundry" lol.

I can't access the Times link either, at least not from my iPad.

Looks like the set hasn't changed, and I shuddered with horror when another review noted that Glenn's plaintiff joke was back. Can't believe he's falling back on that again!

The guys look great, though, and I'm glad to hear things are going well for them.

zeldabjr
04-09-2012, 10:59 AM
Zelda, where did you find a reference to a fourth concert?

The Eagles perform at the FNB Stadium in Soweto in the fourth and final concert in South Africa.

I think this is two or three posts down...demotix.com

VAisForEagleLovers
04-09-2012, 11:04 AM
Finally, reviews! Thanks!

I love how the above reviewer talked about the way Joe Walsh stood out when he performed "his solo hit Dirty Laundry" lol.

I can't access the Times link either, at least not from my iPad.

Looks like the set hasn't changed, and I shuddered with horror when another review noted that Glenn's plaintiff joke was back. Can't believe he's falling back on that again!

The guys look great, though, and I'm glad to hear things are going well for them.

I think since SA is a new stop, the old jokes work. And they did put Hotel CA as part of the encore, which is a big change, and perhaps it'll go back to being #4 in the US. I wish someone would have posted a setlist. I have high hopes that coverage of the Dubai concert will have more in-depth reviews.

sodascouts
04-09-2012, 12:18 PM
You're right about the encore, VA. I'm so unobservant, to read it and conclude that there was no change when a big change was staring right at me!

As for a fourth show - unless they are playing two nights at the FNB, that was the third show and it was played Aug. 8.

VAisForEagleLovers
04-09-2012, 01:05 PM
You're right about the encore, VA. I'm so unobservant, to think there was no change when one was staring right at me!

As for a fourth show - unless they are playing two nights at the FNB, that was the third show and it was played Aug. 8.

It's Monday and it feels like it!! Yes, three shows in SA, the last one yesterday on April 8. A fourth overseas show in Dubai later this week. Then Vegas on the 21st and I think whatever that setlist is, that's what it'll be in Atlanta and Jazzfest. Same for the jokes...

sodascouts
04-09-2012, 02:16 PM
Don't worry, I won't heckle him if he tells that joke in Atlanta. lol

With the encore change-up, I still hold out hope that perhaps there's been something added earlier. How exciting would that be??

VAisForEagleLovers
04-09-2012, 02:21 PM
As I was waiting to get out of the arena in DC back in 2008, someone said, "He told all the same jokes as before." His wife said, "You still laughed and besides, it's like a tradition. It wouldn't be an Eagles concert without Hotel California or the Plaintiff joke."

TimothyBFan
04-09-2012, 02:22 PM
http://www.thenewage.co.za/48194-1022-53-Eagles_rock_Joburg_crowd

I love this from a fan.... "Shan_black_7 (https://twitter.com/#%21/Shan_black_7) said : "What an AMAZING concert .... The Pure Passion of these Guys Brings tears to My eyes... Can't Even sleep!!!!!! #Eagles.""

I totally understand that!!!

zeldabjr
04-09-2012, 03:04 PM
Just curious...to those here longer than I... Have you ever seen a bad review of the boys anywhere?( can't imagine it)

Brooke
04-09-2012, 04:15 PM
Don and Glenn are nearly twins in their dark plaid shirts! And hopefully they will have new jokes next year for the anniversary (?) tour!

They're lookin' good though! :nod:

Freypower
04-09-2012, 06:24 PM
The jokes don't bother me. It's the reversion to being a 'tribute to themselves' that bothers me even if HC is back in the encore. All that is doing is shuffling things around.

Freypower
04-09-2012, 06:28 PM
Just curious...to those here longer than I... Have you ever seen a bad review of the boys anywhere?( can't imagine it)

Yes. There is a writer called Bernard Zuel of the Sydney Morning Herald who goes out of his way to slam them for not being the Sex Pistols (how DARE they) whenever they come here.

I have no problem with unsympathetic reviews if they appear to be objective & don't show the writer's own prejudices.

In my years on this site I have seen plenty of unenthusiastic reviews which say more that they are too 'bland' or that the LROOE songs weren't as well received as the hits, or that there was too much reliance on Joe, or not enough reliance on Joe, that they are too slick & precise, etc etc. Nobody ever says they can't sing or play because it is so obvious that they are masters of their craft.

Freypower
04-09-2012, 06:33 PM
Short review & a picture.

http://www.iol.co.za/tonight/music/soccer-city-rain-welcomes-eagles-1.1272025

Two encores of HC & Desperado.

To me this sounds as if the sacred Take It Easy may have been dropped. http://freeemoticonsandsmileys.com/emoticons/Love%20Emoticons/broken%20heart.gif If it has, I am not surprised in any way, shape or form.

lizzyplays
04-09-2012, 06:40 PM
Two encores of HC & Desperado.

To me this sounds as if the sacred Take It Easy may have been dropped. http://freeemoticonsandsmileys.com/emoticons/Love%20Emoticons/broken%20heart.gif If it has, I am not surprised in any way, shape or form.

I haven't even dealt with finding out that "Already Gone" has been dropped from the set list. I can't take another major disappointment.

Glennsallnighter
04-09-2012, 06:42 PM
The second review that Willie posted mentioned Take It Easy, but just in general terms. It gave no indication as to where it was in the set list.

Freypower
04-09-2012, 06:45 PM
OK, thanks. I suppose it's no longer good enough to be an encore; it is sung by the wrong person. http://freeemoticonsandsmileys.com/emoticons/Evil%20Emoticons/dissapointed%20evil.gif And yes, I do know who writes the setlist.

Hopefully it will be in its rightful place on May 26 (although it wasn't played one night at Niagara Falls).

Glennsallnighter
04-09-2012, 06:48 PM
Well I sincerely hope you get to hear it in LA FP!

And I hope that Glenn :heart: will release even a few more dates in the Summer so that I will get to hear it too!

StephUK
04-09-2012, 08:43 PM
I don't want 'Take it Easy' dropped from the set. I love that song.:sad:

Ive always been a dreamer
04-09-2012, 08:57 PM
I doubt that there's any danger of Take It Easy being dropped. It's probably as important that the band play this as it is Hotel California. As far as it's place in the set, maybe they opened with it or maybe not. Personally, I don't really think it matters though - it just shows how deep this band's catalog is when they are confident enough to put some of their best known songs in the middle of the setlist. Heck - Hotel California has been in the middle of the setlist since Farewell I, maybe even before.

StephUK
04-09-2012, 09:20 PM
and a facebook page with pics from the concert:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.357069820996071.75275.113838461985876&type=1

I'm guessing he's a Joe Walsh fan, which is fine by me as photos of Joe often have Will in them too! These 2 B/W ones of Joe & Will are totally gorgeous :faint:

04-09-2012, 09:30 PM
I immediately thought of you, Steph, when I saw all those photos with Will in them! :wink:

As far as the jokes, I would venture to guess that over 99% of the folks in those audiences have never heard the plaintiff joke. Even though I've personally heard it more than a few times, I have keep to reminding myself that it is not the case for most of the people in the audience. And VA - I agree with you ... I've yet to be at a show where Glenn told that joke that it didn't get a big laugh.

Freypower
04-09-2012, 10:08 PM
Hotel California was one of the encores on the F1 tour and prior to that on the HFO tour. They didn't move it up to near the beginning until the LROOE tour. TIE, on the other hand, was always at the very end (HFO) then second last (F1) and then third last (LROOE) and now we don't know where it is.

StephUK
04-09-2012, 11:33 PM
Link for Times review:-

http://times-e-editions.newspaperdirect.com/epaper/viewer.aspx

sodascouts
04-10-2012, 12:42 AM
I've tried to straighten out the posts with regard to which concert they refer to. The ones in this thread should all refer to the Johannesburg show, or discussion stemming from the Johannesburg reviews. Let me know if I've missed something.

sodascouts
04-10-2012, 12:52 AM
As far as the jokes, I would venture to guess that over 99% of the folks in those audiences have never heard the plaintiff joke.

They have if they own Farewell 1.

Well, Glenn can do what he wants, obviously... but he's a funny guy. There are newer jokes he could tell and still make people laugh. If he wants to have a signature joke (I remember him characterizing it once as his version of "Goodnight Mrs. Calabash"), I wish it weren't one he got from Joe Walsh 20 years ago. But hey, it's no biggie. Just a pet peeve of mine - not exactly a matter of great concern!

As far as the concern that they would drop Take It Easy... that would be akin to them dropping Hotel California. Take It Easy is an Eagles signature song. While it's not impossible, it's highly improbable.

sodascouts
04-10-2012, 01:24 AM
Hotel California was one of the encores on the F1 tour and prior to that on the HFO tour. They didn't move it up to near the beginning until the LROOE tour.

Just a minor correction - on the HFO tour, they opened with "Hotel California." Far from being an encore song, it was the first song of the concert.

Mrs Frey
04-10-2012, 07:17 AM
I listened to our local radio station 567 Cape Talk yesterday - they play golden oldies over weekends and public holidays - and they were taking texts and messages from listeners who had attended the Eagles' Johannesburg concert. The general consensus was that the boys were amazing!!! :yay: :applause: The people raved about their vocals, harmonies and musicianship, and this includes the presenter of the show who attended himself. Many listeners stated that the concert was well worth the 40-year wait to see them!

Regarding the Johannesburg setlist, I believe the boys opened the evening with "Seven Bridges Road". Now there's a song I didn't see performed in London! There were, however, complaints from listeners that they left out hits such as "One Of These Nights", "New Kid In Town" and "Tequila Sunrise". :sad: :headscratch:

timb99
04-10-2012, 07:26 AM
I was at the Johannesburg Concert Sunday. It was my frst Eagles Concert, ever, despite really, really wanting to go as a kid growing up in Omaha in 1976 when I was 16.

I'm an American, temporarily living in Johannesburg on a work assignment.

Weather was a little cool, and we got rained on a little bit, but we had a great time.

They led off with Seven Bridges Road, How Long, I Can't Tell You Why, followed by most of their well recognized hits.

Hotel California was the first encore.

Take it Easy was the first song of the second encore, and they finished with Desperado.

Despite not being an Eagles hit, they played Henley's Boys of Summer which is one of my all time favorite songs.

They also did some Walsh songs too; Seems to Me, Rocky Mountain Way, Life's Been Good.

TimothyBFan
04-10-2012, 07:51 AM
I find it hard to believe they would NOT play One Of The Nights (which ironically happens to be playing right this minute on Sirius Classic Vinyl). If they did add NKIT, like your friend says, that makes me and, I know, FP, very happy!!!!!! It's about freaking time!!! Really wish we could get an "official" setlist to see how things have been changed, which obviously they have been after hearing HC had been moved to the encore.

EaglesKiwi
04-10-2012, 07:54 AM
I was at the Johannesburg Concert Sunday. It was my frst Eagles Concert, ever, despite really, really wanting to go as a kid growing up in Omaha in 1976 when I was 16.

I'm an American, temporarily living in Johannesburg on a work assignment.

Weather was a little cool, and we got rained on a little bit, but we had a great time.

They led off with Seven Bridges Road, How Long, I Can't Tell You Why, followed by most of their well recognized hits.

Hotel California was the first encore.

Take it Easy was the first song of the second encore, and they finished with Desperado.

Despite not being an Eagles hit, they played Henley's Boys of Summer which is one of my all time favorite songs.

They also did some Walsh songs too; Seems to Me, Rocky Mountain Way, Life's Been Good.
Thanks for your feedback, timb99 - and welcome to The Border!

TimothyBFan
04-10-2012, 08:08 AM
Welcome, Tim (I like your name :wink:). And thanks for the input. Looks like things weren't changed that much after all. :shrug:

timb99
04-10-2012, 08:17 AM
Thanks (the "B" is from my last name, though, not my middle initial),

I'd post a couple of photos, but I can't figure out how to get them from my facebook page onto here...

TimothyBFan
04-10-2012, 08:30 AM
Do you also have them linked to a photobucket account? Right click the picture in FB to view picture, copy the link and paste with the insert image (the mountain icon) above. That should work. Or we will just have to stalk your FB page to see them. :hilarious:

Prettymaid
Hi Tim and welcome! I hope this Eagles concert lived up to your 36 years worth of expectations. We'd love to see your photos. Try using photobucket.com.

EaglesKiwi
My apologies if this is a double-up, but there were two articles in the Times - one is for Capetown (the sushi one) and the other is for Joburg.

The Times reviewer RAVED about the Joburg show. You should be able to get straight into this:

http://www.timeslive.co.za/entertainment/music/2012/04/10/checking-in-at-the-hotel-california

StephUK
04-10-2012, 09:13 AM
It's good to read so many favourable reviews. South Africa LOVES the Eagles!! They must be really glad they went there.

(My heart's still beating very fast after looking at those photos of Will :heart:)

VAisForEagleLovers
04-10-2012, 09:15 AM
EK, thanks for the review! It's so nice to read good reviews of our guys in newspapers for a change. It was a great review.

Timb99, welcome to the Border and thank you so much for posting your thoughts on the concert and some of the songs they sang and when they sang them. Two encores is different than the show I went to in Vegas last fall, but I don't hold out much hope in them continuing two encores once they get back here.

VAisForEagleLovers
04-10-2012, 09:23 AM
I find it hard to believe they would NOT play One Of The Nights (which ironically happens to be playing right this minute on Sirius Classic Vinyl). If they did add NKIT, like your friend says, that makes me and, I know, FP, very happy!!!!!! It's about freaking time!!! Really wish we could get an "official" setlist to see how things have been changed, which obviously they have been after hearing HC had been moved to the encore.

I agree, TBF. While they didn't play OOTN in Vegas last fall, it seems like since going to SA was a once-in-a-career kind of thing, presumably, they'd roll out the big hits. I guess you can only fit so much inside of two hours. It's one where Don plays drums and sings, maybe it's too much.

timb99
04-10-2012, 09:50 AM
Link to my photobucket album:

http://s21.photobucket.com/albums/b265/timb99/Eagles%20Johannesburg%208%20April%202012/

Hope this works.

Be forewarned, I only took my old point & click camera because there was rain in the forecast, which is just slightly better than a cardboard box with a pinhole in it.

Also, forgot to recognize I only had a 128 MB SD card in it, so I only got about 2/3 of Boys of Summer videotaped.

Let me know if it works out better to post the photos individually.

Prettymaid
04-10-2012, 09:56 AM
Those were great Tim. Thank you so much!

sodascouts
04-10-2012, 11:24 AM
Thank you so much timb99 - we've been hungering for this! Welcome!

TimothyBFan
04-10-2012, 12:16 PM
Thanks Tim!!! Love the first picture in your group! :thumbsup:

StephUK
04-10-2012, 01:20 PM
Hi Timb99,

Glad you finally got to see the Eagles after being a fan for so many years. I'm sure it was a great evening for you. Thanks for sharing your photos.

StephUK
04-10-2012, 01:32 PM
Don't think this one has been posted here already

https://twitter.com/#!/JennyGriesel/status/189646786615443456/photo/1/large

TimothyBFan
04-10-2012, 01:36 PM
Come on boys, SMILE!!!!!! :shrug:

Brooke
04-10-2012, 03:01 PM
Wow! Thanks T99 for your comments on the show and the pics! We were all dying here for information! And welcome to The Border! Have fun here!

I must say I nearly choked and cried when someone mentioned that Take It Easy was not in the setlist. But then I recovered when they said it was in the last encore. Where it should be, only at the very end! jmo!

I've been busy the last few days and am trying to catch up with all the happenings and news from SA. Thanks all who have helped us out!

ETA: How do you get to meet all the Eagles and have a pic taken with them? :shock: Some people are just too lucky! :hmm:

Freypower
04-10-2012, 05:59 PM

I am extremely dubious that NKIT & TS have been brought back. I'm sorry; I wish I could believe this but I'm afraid it's too hard for me to do so.

04-10-2012, 06:04 PM
First of all welcome to The Border, tim. So thrilled for you that you were able to get to your first Eagles concert. Sounds like it was an awesome experience for you.

And thanks to everyone for all of the links and pictures. It is wonderful to have such a diligent bunch of fans here!!! :thumbsup:

Hotel California was one of the encores on the F1 tour and prior to that on the HFO tour. They didn't move it up to near the beginning until the LROOE tour. TIE, on the other hand, was always at the very end (HFO) then second last (F1) and then third last (LROOE) and now we don't know where it is.

You are right, FP about Hotel California being an encore on the F1 tour - I misspoke. However, my point was that I don't usually obsess about the placement of songs in the setlist as long as they are there and there is a nice flow and pace to the show.

Freypower
04-10-2012, 06:04 PM
Just a minor correction - on the HFO tour, they opened with "Hotel California." Far from being an encore song, it was the first song of the concert.

Sorry; my mistake. How could I forget that when I went to one of those shows?! :woah:

Freypower
04-10-2012, 06:06 PM
Wow! Thanks T99 for your comments on the show and the pics! We were all dying here for information! And welcome to The Border! Have fun here!

I must say I nearly choked and cried when someone mentioned that Take It Easy was not in the setlist. But then I recovered when they said it was in the last encore. Where it should be, only at the very end! jmo!

I've been busy the last few days and am trying to catch up with all the happenings and news from SA. Thanks all who have helped us out!

ETA: How do you get to meet all the Eagles and have a pic taken with them? :shock: Some people are just too lucky! :hmm:

According to T99 it was played before Desperado; as usual.

04-10-2012, 06:11 PM
Thanks for your comments Monique. Glad you were able to post them. I also think it is probably a mistake about New Kid In Town and Tequila Sunrise being in the setlist, but I guess a girl can dream, can't she? :wink:

SteveJoburg
04-11-2012, 03:33 AM
Howzit everyone...

New member, tried joining on Monday after finding the board (awesome!) but my work e-mail blocked the confirmation mail.

I'm South African, have lived in Joburg all my life, 40 years this year (How'd that happen?) My wife and I saw the Eagles on Sunday night... A life long dream come true for me... I tried to write down the setlist but between the intermittent rain and just having too damn good a time enjoying the music, I didn't get very far...

I can assure you it was a superb show, I never dreamed I'd get to hear those incredible voices harmonize a few feet in front of me... Sound was brilliant. I can assure you for three quarters of the audience, it was all new to them, jokes included. They opened with Seven Bridges Road and then How Long as someone already mentioned. First encore was Hotel California, played straight, which is what 99% of the audience was waiting for, and the second encore was Take It Easy, Rocky Mountain Way and Desperado.

Highlights for me, apart from simply trying to comprehend that Henley, Frey, Walsh and Schmit were ACTUALLY really in front of me, was hearing the Henley solo material, as I am a HUGE fan of his solo stuff (just Dirty Laundry and Boys Of Summer were played) And seeing how brilliant Walsh is on stage. When they started playing Life's Been Good, I had goose bumps... Growing up in Apartheid SA in the Seventies, well, I never thought I would see the day! Oh, and during In The City, the video backdrop showed footage from New York. My wife and I have never been out of SA, and in May are visiting the US for the first time, on a trip to NY, so we were having a blast.

If I had any criticisms, and I would seriously have to be nitpicking, I was hoping to hear Timothy sing more songs, but he only did I Can't Tell You Why. (Was hoping to hear him sing Love Will Keep Us Alive at least)

They played three shows here. Cape Town on Wednesday, which my brother went to and also said was brilliant, Sun City on Saturday night (great venue but ticket prices were really hectic) and Soweto on Sunday.

Anyway, I look forward to chatting to some of you hopefully, and spending much time going through the rest of the threads on here...

Cheers for now!
Steve

Mrs Frey
04-11-2012, 03:36 AM
It's a pleasure, everybody! :grin: I'm grabbing a few moments here quickly, as I'm working a straight 7am to 3pm shift today, because of my show tonight. I'm doing the same tomorrow.

Just to clarify regarding NKIT and TS, I actually mentioned some song titles to my friend on Facebook, asking her if the boys sang them, and I included these. She then confirmed them, but replied negatively to some other songs I listed. I thought perhaps she was accurate, considering that she is not a hard-core and long-time fan, and owns only the "Greatest Hits" album and the "Hell Freezes Over" DVD, and she would remember the hits. However, when I heard the complaint from a listener sent to 567 Cape Talk on Monday, saying that the songs WEREN'T played, I doubted my friend's accuracy too. Could she have got it THAT wrong? I don't know, but as you say, Dreamer, a girl can dream. :smile:

EaglesKiwi
04-11-2012, 04:41 AM
Welcome, Steve! And thanks so much for your feedback! Glad you enjoyed the show, and all the best for your trip to the States. There are various solo & Eagles performances going on in May, so depending on your timing you may be able to see something over there...

Prettymaid
04-11-2012, 08:04 AM
Highlights for me, apart from simply trying to comprehend that Henley, Frey, Walsh and Schmit were ACTUALLY really in front of me...

Welcome Steve and thanks for your enthusiastic review! We all know what you mean be your comment above. Here's what I wrote in my review of the Indianapolis 2010 show.

The lights came up and there they were, bigger than life! :heart: Hubby has said that when we saw them last year in Indy from the 2nd row center his first thought as the lights went up was that they were Disney Animatronics up there. (For those of you who have been to Walt Disney World, think Hall Of Presidents.) He couldn't wrap his brain around the fact that they were real! I think that's a good analogy. It takes a few seconds to grasp that these are the Eagles!

I know you're going to enjoy yourself here on The Border. We have some members from New York who can answer questions you have about your upcoming trip. I hope you both have a wonderful time on your first ever trip to the U.S.

Prettymaid
04-11-2012, 08:09 AM
It okay Mrs. F. I know from personal experience that it's hard to remember a setlist all the way through, especially an Eagles show where they perform everything just how it was recorded. I'll cut your friend some slack! ;-)

VAisForEagleLovers
04-11-2012, 09:59 AM
Welcome, Steve! I'm so happy for you and your wife! I well remember my first Eagles concert and I was in such awe at finally seeing them live it was difficult to wrap my head around it. I'll warn you, though, should you ever see them again, it doesn't just happen the first time!

I'm so glad you found us and thank you for your comments on the concert. Look forward to hearing your input on the many topics we have here!

Brooke
04-11-2012, 10:18 AM
I never dreamed I'd get to hear those incredible voices harmonize a few feet in front of me...

Highlights for me, apart from simply trying to comprehend that Henley, Frey, Walsh and Schmit were ACTUALLY really in front of me,

This is exactly the way I felt too Steve! I got to see them for the first time since 76 (which I don't remember much about :wink: ) back in 2002 after being a huge fan for all those years. It was just surreal for me.

Thanks so much for your awesome review! I'm so glad you and your wife had such a great time and the guys fulfilled all your expectations!

And welcome to The Border! This is a wonderful place for all things Eagles!

Hope your trip to NY is enjoyable. I've never been there either, but it's on my bucket list!

TimothyBFan
04-11-2012, 10:25 AM
Steve---you are now among people that know exactly what you mean. I'd have to bet everyone of us felt that way our first times at seeing them. I know my poor hubby probably still has the nail marks on his leg where I grabbed him when the lights first came up. :hilarious: So glad you and your wife got to finally get this to happen and enjoyed it so much.

Hope you stick around, think you'll really like it here!!!

Brooke
04-11-2012, 10:26 AM
Yes, Mrs F, thank you for your help in getting news to us. I know you are very busy now and it's hard for you, but we sure do appreciate it. It's very hard to remember a set list for sure. I'd have to write it down as it happened myself! We'll just have to dream really hard about TS and NKIT being sung. Maybe Glenn will get the hint somehow!

Good luck with your upcoming shows too!

SteveJoburg
04-11-2012, 01:21 PM
Wow... Talk about a warm welcome... Thanks everyone...! Looking forward to some decent music related chats with like minded people on here, I must say.

I wanted to mention, as I saw a couple of comments about the lack of reviews and the poor writing of the few that did appear, that music 'journalism' in SA is sadly lacking. If you're not in the current top 10, then the chances of whoever is currently doing the music reviews in the publications or websites having a clue about you are slim. Sad but true.

I caught one interview with Don and Glenn on SA TV prior to the tour which was so pathetically generic and weak I had to cringe. I had dozens of questions in my head I would have loved to ask either of them, which I think they would have enjoyed answering and which would have made for a great interview, but the interviewer was more concerned with making sure his biceps were on screen. Sigh...

sodascouts
04-11-2012, 02:04 PM
Welcome from me, too, Steve! That kind of journalism isn't only limited to South Africa, I'm afraid! However, it sounds like the fans' welcome more than made up for the inattention from journalists.

04-11-2012, 08:13 PM
Welcome from me as well, Steve and thanks for sharing you thoughts about your first Eagles concert. I'm so glad that you enjoyed the show so much - they are awesome, aren't they? I'm sure that most all of us here can relate to your excitement. You are in like company here. Hope you'll join in on the discussions.

VAisForEagleLovers
04-12-2012, 10:12 AM
A review of the show...

http://www.citizen.co.za/citizen/content/en/citizen/lifestyle-features?oid=271056&sn=Detail&pid=146849&The-benefits-of-experience

Victim of Love
04-12-2012, 12:18 PM
Nice review...plenty of compliments -- and it sounds as if the band is up to their usual stellar performance level. But I'm a bit puzzled by this one...

Each member of the legendary unit stamped his identity on the concert, but it was the nervy energy and edgy rock hooks of Joe Walsh that caught the eye. His solo performance of Don Henley’s Dirty Laundry,

I've seen this -- or a similar comment in another article and they make it sound like Joe is SINGING DL rather than hyping his guitar solo. Did anyone else scratch their head at first or was it just me?

By the way, have I ever said how much I LOVE the banner?. I mean, how appropriate to be performing in the desert country and use that photo?!?

SteveJoburg
04-12-2012, 12:58 PM
On the way home from work this evening I remembered something else from the show... After Tim sang I Can't Tell You Why, he said "Thank you, sawubona..." Sawubona is Zulu for hello. I thought that was pretty cool.

Prettymaid
04-12-2012, 01:28 PM
Yep, Timothy is their "language guy". :hilarious:

Seriously, Timothy always shows lots of appreciation to the audience.

sodascouts
04-12-2012, 01:43 PM
I love little details like that. Tim does seem to take special care.

zeldabjr
04-12-2012, 01:56 PM
I love little details like that. Tim does seem to take special care.

just one of the reasons we love him:)

zelda

sodascouts
04-12-2012, 02:06 PM
I've seen this -- or a similar comment in another article and they make it sound like Joe is SINGING DL rather than hyping his guitar solo. Did anyone else scratch their head at first or was it just me?

This same review was posted elsewhere - http://www.artlink.co.za/news_article.htm?contentID=29729. Here's the deal, though. Initially, it said the solo hit was Joe's. Obviously, people wrote in and complained because now it's been changed to "Don Henley" - the only problem is that nothing else was changed, so you still have a confusing description!

Victim of Love
04-12-2012, 02:19 PM
So it wasn't just me! The first time I read it my thought was that the writer didn't know their individual works and hadn't done his homework. Even with the change it's confusing (uness you know what was originally done as solo work). Joe does, however, play some rocking riffs in that number!

04-12-2012, 04:29 PM
As far as the mixup about Dirty Laundry, the clarification didn't really help, did it? Also, last time I checked Glenn, Joe, and Steuart trade off guitar solos on the Eagles' live version of Dirty Laundry.

Freypower
04-12-2012, 06:03 PM
Nice review...plenty of compliments -- and it sounds as if the band is up to their usual stellar performance level. But I'm a bit puzzled by this one...

By the way, have I ever said how much I LOVE the banner?. I mean, how appropriate to be performing in the desert country and use that photo?!?

To me the 'solo performance' is referring to the guitar solo & is not implying that Joe is singing it. JMO.

EaglesKiwi
04-13-2012, 05:11 AM
I caught one interview with Don and Glenn on SA TV prior to the tour which was so pathetically generic and weak I had to cringe. I had dozens of questions in my head I would have loved to ask either of them, which I think they would have enjoyed answering and which would have made for a great interview, but the interviewer was more concerned with making sure his biceps were on screen. Sigh...
Perhaps you could start a new thread, Steve?

Prettymaid
04-13-2012, 07:49 AM
Here's one already started!

https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2452

SteveJoburg
04-13-2012, 04:28 PM
I originally posted this link in the Cape Town concert thread like a doofus...

This isn't my video, and although it's not brilliant I don't think it's too terrible either. I am glad I was sitting facing the centre of the stage, when I see this, and really regretting that I did not try and take some videos. I was just enjoying myself too much...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_X7G-9-tdo

Prettymaid
04-13-2012, 06:58 PM
Hmmm, it's been blocked in my country on copyright grounds.

sodascouts
04-13-2012, 08:13 PM
Warner Music Group doesn't waste any time.

Thanks for trying, Steve!

SteveJoburg
04-14-2012, 04:43 AM
Sorry peeps... I think it would have been fine had the creator of the video not included original music and just left the live concert sound... Oh well.

Glennsallnighter
04-14-2012, 06:36 PM
Its not blocked in Ireland! Thanks for posting!

GlennLover
04-14-2012, 11:20 PM
I am able to see it to! Thanks!