PDA

View Full Version : Greetings from the South(ern hemisphere)

SteveJoburg
04-13-2012, 04:21 PM
Okay, I know I’ve already posted a few times and many of you have already given me a wonderfully warm welcome, but I thought I would do the polite thing and say hello here properly...

My name is Stephen, but people call me Steve, of course. I’m a South African born and bred, lived in Jo’burg my whole life. Interests and hobbies have come and go, but music has always been the central focus of my life. I have always been an Eagles fan but I do also love a vast amount of other music, new and old. Seeing the Eagles almost a week ago now was a definite highlight of my life, one I did not think would ever happen, but then I felt the same of seeing Jackson Browne here (1996) Roger Waters (2002) and even Billy Joel, (2006) despite him not having released new music since 1993.
Before the Eagles the most recent international concert we went to was Kings Of Leon in October last year, also at Soccer City, arguably one of the most musically interesting new bands, if not overflowing with stage presence. Tomorrow night we’re off to see another one of my heroes, but this time someone I am lucky enough to see at least once a year, Johnny Clegg, our greatest musical export in my humble opinion.

The artist/band at the top of my wish list is someone I am about as obsessed with (musically) as some of you seem to be with various members of the Eagles, Bruce Springsteen. He has never played here and the chances of him doing so are looking less and less likely. Ironically, I will be making my first trip to the USA next month. The day I take off to fly to NY, Bruce starts the European leg of his current tour. Murphy’s Law I suppose! I am also saddened by the fact that even if I did get to see him and The E Street Band, I will never be able to see The Big Man (Clarence Clemons) myself. When he passed away last year it was like losing a family member.

By most people’s standards, I guess my wife and I lead a pretty ordinary, probably downright boring life, but it suits us to a tee… We hardly ever watch telly, and most nights after work we relax with a few CD’s. I’m in the process of putting together a new hi-fi system and I will include a turntable again, as I do miss the sound of vinyl.

I’m really glad I discovered your fantastic forum, albeit far too late, and I hope you don’t mind be being a part of your community…

Cheers!

Brooke
04-13-2012, 04:30 PM
Welcome again SteveJ! We are so glad to have you and are enjoying your posts. We were hungry for news from SA and you have relieved the pain of not knowing how it was all going!

Carry on! It's never too late to love the Eagles!

Henley Honey
04-13-2012, 05:11 PM
Welcome, Steve. Better late than never! Sorry you'll miss Bruce, but so happy you got to see the Eagles. You'll love New York. You can send me a private message if you have any questions about the City. I'd be happy to give you any pointers I can.

Freypower
04-13-2012, 05:39 PM
Steve, it's great to have someone else from the Southern Hemisphere here (I am from Sydney). I've really enjoyed your posts so far.

Prettymaid
04-13-2012, 06:56 PM
Welcome again Steve! Can't say I'm much of a Springsteen fan, but the fact that you enjoy JB makes you okay in my book! ;-)

sodascouts
04-13-2012, 09:02 PM
I love Springsteen too - so sorry you're going to miss him! You never know, though. If the Eagles can make it to SA, perhaps Bruce can as well.

Again, welcome!

Ive always been a dreamer
04-13-2012, 09:57 PM
Welcome again from me too, Steve. We are glad you found us and hope you will join in on more of the conversation here. Have a blast on your first trip to the states.

Windeagle
04-13-2012, 10:12 PM
Hi Steve! Great to have you here and hope you enjoy your trip to the States.

Glennsallnighter
04-14-2012, 04:41 AM
Welcome from me too Steve! Hope you enjoy posting here. It's great to hear you had such a wonderful time at the Eagles J'burg gig. It sounds like a good night was had by all. I hope you get to hear Bruce Springsteen live at some stage. He will be playing here in Ireland live later this year. I'd like to see him but at the moment I'm putting all my concert eggs in Glenn :heart: Freys basket - I'm hoping to get back to the States to see him live if he calls more gigs.

Anyway enough rambling. You don't sound boring at all! Have fun here!

SteveJoburg
04-14-2012, 05:00 AM
Thanks guys! (Or should I say ladies?) It hasn't escaped my attention that the majority of posters here are female...? Which is quite different to some of the other forums I'm on... No complaints at ALL though... The testosterone driven arguments which happen on some other forums do get tiresome.

Henley Honey - Thank you very much, that's very kind of you... We've been planning for many months and have a pretty hectic itinerary but I may well take you up on your offer for info and advice, thank you. After the summit I'm attending which is the main reason for the visit, we will have almost a full week in NYC. We are also (briefly) going to Philadelphia, New Jersey (I have to, it's Bruce's birthplace, and I have to have a drink at the Stone Pony in Asbury Park!) Niagara Falls and Washington DC, where we are going to say hello to and spend some time with a friend from Nebraska we met at the Soccer World Cup in 2010... We are very excited to see her again. The whole trip is still something of a "pinch me, I must be dreaming" thing.

Frey Power - G'day! Aussie is next on our agenda of places to visit. We have a very good friend who lives in Gladstone (near Brisbane) whom I also met, funnily enough, on a music forum. We've been threatening to see each other for years. He has just been to the Byron Bay Bluesfest... In one weekend he saw several people on my bucket list, including John Hiatt, lucky bar steward...

zeldabjr
04-14-2012, 01:46 PM
Welcome Steve... I am pretty new here and also feel I found this way too late...sounds like you really belong here...people are very nice.

VAisForEagleLovers
04-14-2012, 02:32 PM
Steve, I'll make the same offer for DC that HH made for NYC. PM me if you have questions or whatever. Not sure when your trip is in May, I'll actually be downtown on the 14th for Glenn's concert and probably the 28th for Tim's!

Freypower
04-14-2012, 06:17 PM
Frey Power - G'day! Aussie is next on our agenda of places to visit. We have a very good friend who lives in Gladstone (near Brisbane) whom I also met, funnily enough, on a music forum. We've been threatening to see each other for years. He has just been to the Byron Bay Bluesfest... In one weekend he saw several people on my bucket list, including John Hiatt, lucky bar steward...

A lot of top acts played there this year, including John Fogerty, who I saw in Sydney in 2009. I couldn't go to it; too far, too difficult (I can however go to Los Angeles to see Glenn Frey). I hope you make it out here & if you do you're welcome to come & visit Sydney.

Glennsallnighter
04-14-2012, 06:38 PM
A lot of top acts played there this year, including John Fogerty, who I saw in Sydney in 2009. I couldn't go to it; too far, too difficult (I can however go to Los Angeles to see Glenn Frey). I hope you make it out here & if you do you're welcome to come & visit Sydney.

Lol FP! You gotta get your priorities right here! :wink:

SteveJoburg
04-14-2012, 06:41 PM
Steve, I'll make the same offer for DC that HH made for NYC. PM me if you have questions or whatever. Not sure when your trip is in May, I'll actually be downtown on the 14th for Glenn's concert and probably the 28th for Tim's!

Thank you! We are only in DC for less than 24 hours, sadly, but we are really excited about it. The incredible history, architecture and significance of Washington is just amazing to us...

Oh, and we land on the 14th and leave on the 27th, can you believe it? We'll HAVE to go back again, soon...

prayfordaylight
04-14-2012, 09:48 PM
Welcome Steve! If you have time in Philadelphia, definitely check out the Springsteen exhibit at the National Constitution Center, it's phenomenal!

Koala
04-15-2012, 02:13 AM
Welcome from me too Steve! :)