PDA

View Full Version : Beach Boys

Victim of Love
04-16-2012, 04:04 PM
For anyone interested, I got notification of this today:

http://www.dailynews.com/news/ci_20407861/beach-boys-performing-siriusxm-before-tour?source=rss

prayfordaylight
04-17-2012, 08:42 AM
Nice! Very excited to see them in June.

prayfordaylight
06-19-2012, 01:19 PM
If you're a Beach Boys fan, I HIGHLY recommend you both go see them and buy the new album. The album is great and the show even better. They play for almost 3 hours (45+ songs!). They sound fantastic and know how to please a crowd.

Victim of Love
09-27-2012, 04:29 PM
I'm sure by now many of you have heard that Mike Love is flexing his muscle and has fired Brian Wilson, Al Jardine and David Marks from the lineup. I, for one, can't imagine spending my money in the future to see a Beach Boys concert that doesn't include them. Here is the link for the story that appeared in the LA Daily News (the same or similar articles are popping up everywhere). I find very interesting the Eagles reference about a third of the way thru the article and can't recall a time where our boys lowered their admission price to $5!

http://www.dailynews.com/news/ci_21644641/hicks-beach-boys-break-up-again-brian-wilson?source=rss

VAisForEagleLovers
09-27-2012, 04:35 PM
Even it it's a typo and it's supposed to be $50, I don't remember that, either. Just goes to prove that Mike Love has lost touch with reality on a number of things. I can tell you I'd not spend $5 to see the Beach Boys without Brian Wilson. In fact, if they showed up at my house and wanted to play in my yard for free I'd probably ask them to leave.

zeldabjr
09-27-2012, 05:47 PM
Is he trying to say that the Eagles had trouble selling tickets after they reunited?...and as far as his version of The Beach Boys...he ought to be ashamed of himself...and I hope no one goes to the concerts...it's sort of like Timothy being able to fire Don and Glenn!

Tiffanny Twisted
09-27-2012, 06:20 PM
Ok this is insane....
What are the beachboys without Brian Wilson??
I mean he is the Beach boys.

I think the eagles quote is so out of line...
54 or 50 is unheard of

tt

Freypower
09-27-2012, 06:22 PM
The alleged statement about the Eagles is one of the most ridiculous things I have ever read. The last thing the Eagles have been since their reformation is 'over-exposed' and as for selling tickets for $5 please give me a break.

That Beach Boys reunion was never going to last. They hate each other too much.

Topkat
09-27-2012, 06:28 PM
This is a total outrage. How can he do this? I wonder how Love became the sole owner of the Beach Boys name? Boy, that must have been some deal gone wrong?

As for Eagles tickets, well the HFO tour, tickets were $50. I have my ticket stubs from 2 shows. It well may be that in the 70's tickets were $5., as that was the price of most concerts from the 70's. Yeah, that's how all us old people got to see every amazing band out there, the tickets really were $5. Oh, yeah, & sometimes you got to see 2 amazing bands for $5...:nahnah:
Hard to believe, but true!

Ive always been a dreamer
09-27-2012, 09:26 PM
TK - you must be talking about the cheapest of the cheapest Eagles tickets. An Eagles ticket may have been around $5.00 in the very early days of the band, but by the mid-to-late 70's, I believe they were running around $12.50 - $15.00 for the good seats. I remember because I actually wanted to go to a concert, but couldn't afford it. As far as ticket prices for HFO, again, the cheapest seats may have been $50.00, but most of the tickets were going for over $100.00. In fact, the Eagles were one of, if not the first band, to charge over $100.00 for a ticket at that time.

zeldabjr
09-27-2012, 10:02 PM
TK - you must be talking about the cheapest of the cheapest Eagles tickets. An Eagles ticket may have been around $5.00 in the very early days of the band, but by the mid-to-late 70's, I believe they were running around $12.50 - $15.00 for the good seats. I remember because I actually wanted to go to a concert, but couldn't afford it. As far as ticket prices for HFO, again, the cheapest seats may have been $50.00, but most of the tickets were going for over $100.00. In fact, the Eagles were one of, if not the first band, to charge over $100.00 for a ticket at that time.

I do remember reading that the Eagles were the first band to break the $100 ticket barrier...but never knew if it was really true

Grey Sadler
09-27-2012, 10:46 PM
Even it it's a typo and it's supposed to be $50, I don't remember that, either. Just goes to prove that Mike Love has lost touch with reality on a number of things. I can tell you I'd not spend $5 to see the Beach Boys without Brian Wilson. In fact, if they showed up at my house and wanted to play in my yard for free I'd probably ask them to leave.

AMEN!!
Mr. Love needs to get over himself, once and for all...honestly...

Topkat
09-28-2012, 05:11 AM

I don't have any actual ticket stubs from an Eagles show in the 70's, but I do recall a lot of shows being $5. & not just the cheapest seats. It really depends on the venue. All concerts were in that price range in the early 70's, even for bands much bigger than the Eagles. I guess maybe $12-15 was later in the 70's. It's all a little fuzzy now!!!LOL
My seats for HFO were $50. for the lower tier at the Giants Stadium. These were the best we were able to get. I don't remember if there were $100. seats, but that is possible. As I recall these were very good seats.

09-28-2012, 10:01 AM
Well some of the 70's stuff is fuzzy for me too, so I'm not going to get in a debate with anyone over ticket prices. But I do know that sometime around the mid-to late 70's, I really wanted to go to an Eagles concert but couldn't afford a $12 - $15 ticket. There may have been cheaper seats available, but if so, I don't recall that.

As far as the HFO prices, all I know is that the bests seats in most venues went for over $100.

Victim of Love
09-28-2012, 11:30 AM
Back in March '94 the LA Times ran an article entitled "Concert Prices Taken to the Limit?" in which there was a great deal of criticism and speculation about the "over $100" cost for admission - first for the Eagles and shortly thereafter for Streisand. I wish I could find the actual article but haven't been able to dig it up. Nobody had ever done it before and there were a lot of critics who were certain the band would play to mostly empty venues if they didn't drop the price! I guess the critics ended up eating a lot of humble pie because the fans didn't let cost stop them.

Topkat
09-28-2012, 11:43 AM
I do remember there being a big stink about prices going over $100, but today that seems like a bargain. I think concert prices are just so out of control. I mean think of a teenager that may want to take a date to a concert? Now that date cost about $300. & that's not even for a top band, and parking, & whatever other costs are invoved... That really kind of sucks. When I was a teenager, I went to a concert every weekend, maybe even more than one. Now, for kids, that's probably not possible. How many teens have that kind of money?

Tiffanny Twisted
09-28-2012, 07:51 PM
THE ONLY CHEAP CONCERT TX THING I CAN REMEMBER IS WHEN THE SPECTRUM WAS CLOSING...THE LAST CONCERT THERE WAS hALL AND OATES AND tODD RUDGREN AND hOOTERS (ALL PHILLY BANDS) AND THEY DID A CHEAP SEATS THING LIKE $2.94 OR SOMETHING SIMILIAR TO MIRROW THE PRICES WHEN THEY FIRST PLAYED THERE. cOOL IDEA.TX SOLD OUT IN A BLINK.
lAST TIME WE SAW THE EAGLES AT THE WACOVIA BEFORE A THANKSGIVING...THERE HAD BEEN THREE OFFICERS KILLED IN THE LINE OF DUTY AND gf TALKED ABOUT THE OFFICERS FAMILYS BEING THERE AND OTHER OFFICERS FAMILIES BEING THERE AS GUESTS OF THE BAND. sO COOL THE BAND GOT A STANDING OVATION. i WILL ALWAYS REMEBER THAT MOMENT. SO GRACIOUS.:thumbsup:

TT:thumbsup:

09-28-2012, 08:39 PM
Well to bring this thread back on topic about The Beach Boys, I just realized that I didn't comment about this. I'm not sure what Mike Love is thinking, but I sure hope it backfires. I guess he must have a pretty big ego, but I doubt if Mike Love is the first name that comes to most people's minds when you mention The Beach Boys. I like zelda's analogy that it's kind of like Tim firing Glenn and Don from the Eagles. Go figure!

sodascouts
09-28-2012, 09:13 PM
Surely he knows that ticket sales will plummet now. I guess whatever issues they have with each other outweigh everything else.

And that statement about the Eagles is astoundingly inaccurate. Maybe Love has them confused with some other band. He doesn't seem to be thinking too straight lately.

Topkat
09-29-2012, 12:10 PM
This article was posted in the LA Times regarding the Beach Boys with many references to the statement about the Eagles, the $5 ticket prices, & relationship with them. Apparently there was a BB/ Eagles show with tickets at $5, on June 21, 1975 at Wembley Stadium...Interesting article

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/music/posts/la-et-ms-beach-boys-50th-anniversary-reunion-tour-eagles-20120928,0,7962939.story

09-29-2012, 12:26 PM
Wow! What a fiasco. I sure hope pressure from the fans will bring Mike Love to his senses. We'll have to see. His publicist sure did back down in a New York Minute to the letter from the Eagles as well he should have. :thumbsup:

sodascouts
09-29-2012, 12:46 PM
Jones noted that Love subsequently sent "care packages" to each of the Eagles, through their management, "out of respect" to the band.

LOL! Care packages!! What, did he send them some chocolate, jelly, coffee, and bath salts to show he's truly, truly sorry?

Ah well. At least he is trying to make it up; got to give him credit for that.

The letter from the Eagles is quite personally insulting to Mike Love. I had no idea there were such hard feelings. Glenn speaks so highly of the Beach Boys and Tim has even recoded with them. I guess it's more Brian Wilson they have affection for; perhaps they are outraged on his behalf and it added heat to their response.

Tiffanny Twisted
09-29-2012, 12:55 PM
JMO I think that the respect is for Brian wilson ...he is the genius of the band..again jmo.

Care packages???? Like that would make up for shooting off your mouth and offending the.

What a mess..so shameful that egos:evil: get in the way.

tt

Tiffanny Twisted
09-29-2012, 12:56 PM
This article was posted in the LA Times regarding the Beach Boys with many references to the statement about the Eagles, the $5 ticket prices, & relationship with them. Apparently there was a BB/ Eagles show with tickets at $5, on June 21, 1975 at Wembley Stadium...Interesting article

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/music/posts/la-et-ms-beach-boys-50th-anniversary-reunion-tour-eagles-20120928,0,7962939.story

thanks for the link topkat. i did like reading the article and being in the loop:smokin:
tt

Topkat
09-29-2012, 04:40 PM
Yeah, that part about the "care packages" really cracked me up. Something that manager dreamed up, no doubt!!! What the heck do you give the Eagles in a care package?

Victim of Love
09-29-2012, 06:03 PM
Yeah, that part about the "care packages" really cracked me up. Something that manager dreamed up, no doubt!!! What the heck do you give the Eagles in a care package?

BORDERERS,of course!:hilarious:

Victim of Love
09-29-2012, 07:42 PM
I was just at ticketsnow.com and see there are four more BB shows scheduled before the end of the year. I wonder how many people already bought tickets? Would serve Mike Love right if they all demanded their money back -- I certainly would because I'd feel like I was duped.

Tiffanny Twisted
09-29-2012, 11:49 PM
BORDERERS,of course!:hilarious:

omg...thats just too funny and such a good one.
You gotta admit that we are all unigue and one of a kind ...one size fits all..lol

zeldabjr
09-30-2012, 04:53 AM
OMG I just read this all....:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:...that care package thing is a hoot!!!...but VOL...I definitely like the way you think!!!...this whole thing just keeps getting crazier!

Topkat
09-30-2012, 03:20 PM
Yeah, but seriously, what kind of goodies do you think that guy gave them? I mean they can afford pretty much anything they want!! I really wonder what he gave them!

Tiffanny Twisted
10-01-2012, 06:41 AM
tk is wright. what do you give them???
the whole idea is a slap in the face.
He just opens his mouthe for publicity that mike love.

tt

VAisForEagleLovers
10-09-2012, 03:51 PM
And the saga continues...

http://social.entertainment.msn.com/music/blogs/reverb-blog.aspx?feat=04afedc3-19c6-47e2-b2fa-a025742c090e

Tiffanny Twisted
10-09-2012, 06:37 PM
Wow. What gives with this guy.
How can you fire the guy who is the beach boys?

prayfordaylight
10-10-2012, 11:47 AM
It all feels so dirty. He basically used Brian, Al and David to make a buck and now that he's got enough for now the hell with them. There are no Beach Boys without Brian and Al.

zeldabjr
10-10-2012, 01:23 PM
I think he is really insulting all the Beach Boys fans out there!

fuschiairis
12-21-2016, 07:09 PM
Frontman Mike Love of The Beach Boys has allowed fans of The Beach Boys to learn even more about the band and the bands history of over fifty years with his latest book Good Vibrations: My Life As A Beach Boys.

In his book, Love talks about how his family wound up in Southern California living on a beach in a tent, as well as the story of the relationship with the Wilson cousins – and what it was like growing up. Love’s book also dives into the unique American story of The Beach Boys, from their California roots to their international fame. Being the only band member to be part of this history each and every step, Love takes readers through the various ups and downs of the band’s history as well as “behind the scenes” stories of the band and the stories behind some of their most popular songs. Listen to an excerpt of one of the chapters of his book here (http://bit.ly/2ewY3Ll).
The book is also available in a holiday bundle which includes a hardcover book, tshirt, and Christmas CD; perfect for Beach Boys fans this holiday season and now at a reduced price than before which can be found here (http://bit.ly/ML-Shop).

What devoted Beach Boys fan wouldn’t want to know more about one of their favorite bands? You can find the book at Penguin Random House Books online (http://bit.ly/LoveRandomHse) (Hardcover, AudioBook or eBook), Amazon (http://bit.ly/MLamazon) (Kindle, Hardcover or Paperback Book ), Walmart (http://bit.ly/MLbookWalmart) (Hardcover Book) or Barnes & Noble (http://bit.ly/ML-BN) (Hardcover Book).

Mike has also decided to surprise fans with a song that is perfect for this Holiday season! He is giving his song, “You’ll Never Be Alone On Christmas Day” away FOR FREE over on Noisetrade (http://bit.ly/ML-FreeSong).

NightMistBlue
12-22-2016, 10:23 AM
I'm not responding to the spam/whatever-you-call-it promoting Mike Love's book. However, I did read said book and enjoyed it. It was immediately after I read Brian's autobiography. The two cousins are complimentary, respectful and occasionally loving towards each other, as friends and colleagues with a lifelong and incredibly complex relationship.

Mike's explanation about the abrupt end of the 50th year reunion makes a lot of sense. That doesn't mean I think it was Brian's "fault." As Mike argues convincingly, there are people in Brian's life who control him and make decisions for him. For reasons of their own, they often create drama and conflict in Brian's business and career affairs. Perhaps worst of all, they convince Brian that his family isn't really for him and doesn't have his best interest at heart. Even Carl Wilson said this years ago. The difference is that Mike Love names names, whereas usually Beach Boys insiders will only hint at the controllers around Brian.

It's just a shame that a vulnerable man - with a steady stream of songwriting royalties - inevitably attracts sharks who take advantage.

WalshFan88
08-17-2017, 11:39 PM
I've never been a huge Beach Boys fan because of all the Chuck Berry ripoffs in the first era of the band, the surfing songs, etc. I really didn't find creativity.

To me where they really got creative was Pet Sounds, and that is Brian Wilson. There is a huge difference between a song like God Only Knows and Surfin' USA.

I recently watched Love & Mercy.

Brian was and is a troubled man. Schizophrenia or the milder form (schizoaffective/schizophreniform disorder) is nothing to take lightly. Therapy does very little when it comes to psychotic disorders like Schizophrenia. They don't respond to talk therapy the way a depressed or anxious/OCD person would. You can't make hallucinations go away by telling them to get lost. Someone like John Nash was able to ignore them long enough to not notice them along with medication and insulin shock therapy, but that's a rare example of self-control.

But the thing that GOT me is that I couldn't get over how inappropriate Dr. Eugene Landy was...OMG. I thought it was dramatized for film, but I did the digging and I was shocked. So unprofessional, with lots of transference and countertransference going on (to use some therapist's terms). There is a video of him talking to a interviewer with Brian and Brian is basically in his lap and they have their arms around each other. In pictures, you'd think they were partners.

Landy admitted his brand of therapy was unorthodox, but it was ultimately unethical and hence Melinda Ledbetter and others getting him out of the picture. He made a killing off of Brian financially and the band and totally was in it for the money. I think that's a case of the psychologist should be the patient, lol. He clearly had issues and I think that's why his license was pulled. And then he buddied up to a psychiatrist and had Brian medicated per his request on order.

Looking back, Brian probably did need antipsychotic medication, but I think Landy used it as a weapon. If Brian wouldn't comply with Landy or disagree, he'd be medicated. I highly recommend watching the YouTube videos about Landy. There was a Beach Boys BAND meeting where Brian spoke against Landy, Landy called a break, forced Brian to take pills, and returned to the meeting with his eyes rolled back in his head from the major tranquilizers he was administered by EL.

As far as Melinda, I have mixed feelings. I think she was a great person to come into his life and remove him from bad people like Landy, but sometimes I wonder if she isn't a bit controlling over his affairs, and that's what Mike Love is talking about. I don't think I'd want my life partner to be my manager if I was famous. That's just asking for trouble. It's like a Yoko Ono/Beatles type situation. Hmm.

But yeah, for me no Brian no Beach Boys. I only care about the era where he took control and took it from simple surf rock tunes to something with meaning.

Annoying Twit
08-18-2017, 06:10 AM
@WalshFan88

Have you heard Brian Wilson's solo album 'Lucky Old Sun'. Others seem to disagree, but I think it is his best solo album. The whole thing just seems to work. For me, at least.

Here's a song off it. However, it's one of the more rock-and-roll ones, but it's on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UD4GUErAEM8

If you like the Smile era BB more, then you might like the album BW did with Van Dyke Parks, 'Orange Crate Art'. More challenging and it took me a bit of time to get into it, but now I have I think it's a good album. The title track is a good indication of what the album is like.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qbQcmK72bo

Apologies if you didn't want these unsolicited recommendations.

NightMistBlue
08-18-2017, 09:53 AM
My beef with the "Love & Mercy" film is that it very much downplays the role that Brian's brother Carl and their mom Audree played in getting Dr. Landy out of Brian's life. Melinda was the producer of the film, so of course she's made out to be a saint and Brian's savior. Some artistic license there, methinks.

Austin, I think you're selling the other Beach Boys' contributions a bit short! No one can match their heavenly vocals. Compare "Can't Wait Too Long" from Lucky Old Sun to the BB's released in 1990 as a bonus track on the Smiley Smile/Wild Honey compilation, originally recorded in 1966-67.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FKhb-BJDJT4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SIc-39ewcGk

Also compare the Beach Boys' "Our Prayer" with the version done by Brian's band. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tqXibjCZy5Y
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zS3LNn7HGyE

buffyfan145
08-18-2017, 10:15 AM
I loved "Love & Mercy" and thought the cast did a great job, especially Paul Dano and John Cusack. :D I wasn't too familiar with what really happened so I was judging it more by the acting. Also fun little discovery yesterday for me as I finished watching Netflix's great new comedy "Atypical" and the actor who plays the daughter Casey's sweet, dorky boyfriend Evan, Graham Rogers, played Al Jardine in the movie. So that's why I knew him. LOL :)

WalshFan88
08-18-2017, 05:52 PM
My beef with the "Love & Mercy" film is that it very much downplays the role that Brian's brother Carl and their mom Audree played in getting Dr. Landy out of Brian's life. Melinda was the producer of the film, so of course she's made out to be a saint and Brian's savior. Some artistic license there, methinks.

Austin, I think you're selling the other Beach Boys' contributions a bit short! No one can match their heavenly vocals. Compare "Can't Wait Too Long" from Lucky Old Sun to the BB's released in 1990 as a bonus track on the Smiley Smile/Wild Honey compilation, originally recorded in 1966-67.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FKhb-BJDJT4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SIc-39ewcGk

Also compare the Beach Boys' "Our Prayer" with the version done by Brian's band. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tqXibjCZy5Y
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zS3LNn7HGyE

Wasn't my intention to sell them short.:)

I was mostly referring to songwriting genius, which to me Brian stood above everybody in that, on Pet Sounds alone. I'm more in the Brian camp than Mike camp. I think Mike is an @ss lol. In terms of contributions, Mike didn't contribute enough to be worthy of carrying the band on it's own. I'd go see the guys with out him before I would see his band without Brian or Al.

Their vocal harmonies as a band cannot be denied and Carl and Al especially including the songs where they are lead.

NightMistBlue
08-18-2017, 05:57 PM
Cool! Mike Love is an arse, no denying that. His wife must be a saint to put up with him. But if you've ever heard the original lyrics to "Good Vibrations" - written by Tony Asher I believe, until Love stepped in and re-wrote them - I think you'd be quietly grateful for Mike's contributions. :)

I saw the Beach Boys on their big reunion tour in 2012. Have to admit that Mike Love is a good front man, he keeps everyone laughing.

WalshFan88
08-18-2017, 06:18 PM
Cool! Mike Love is an arse, no denying that. His wife must be a saint to put up with him. But if you've ever heard the original lyrics to "Good Vibrations" - written by Tony Asher I believe, until Love stepped in and re-wrote them - I think you'd be quietly grateful for Mike's contributions. :)

I saw the Beach Boys on their big reunion tour in 2012. Have to admit that Mike Love is a good front man, he keeps everyone laughing.

Oh I think he's talented to be sure, I just don't think he's to the level of talent that allows him to act the way he does. Maybe it's because I'm a diehard Brian fan but to me he's just crazy. LOL. I think he's a good frontman, but a lot of great frontmen can be a bit full of themselves. Hahaha. They don't call it Lead Singer Disease (LSD) for nothing! :D

Good Vibrations is a great example though of his songwriting ability. Much better than "Fun, Fun, Fun"... I prefer the later BB stuff, less of the surfing lyrics over a Chuck Berry rhythm type of thing...more inventive, more original. :)

WalshFan88
08-18-2017, 11:15 PM
@WalshFan88

Have you heard Brian Wilson's solo album 'Lucky Old Sun'. Others seem to disagree, but I think it is his best solo album. The whole thing just seems to work. For me, at least.

Here's a song off it. However, it's one of the more rock-and-roll ones, but it's on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UD4GUErAEM8

If you like the Smile era BB more, then you might like the album BW did with Van Dyke Parks, 'Orange Crate Art'. More challenging and it took me a bit of time to get into it, but now I have I think it's a good album. The title track is a good indication of what the album is like.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qbQcmK72bo

Apologies if you didn't want these unsolicited recommendations.

I will check them out.

Dawn
12-11-2017, 04:02 PM
This is amazing!

----------------

Dec 8, 2017

"The Beach Boys unearthed more archival material, including dozens of previously unreleased songs, with their two new retrospective sets, 1967 – Sunshine Tomorrow 2: The Studio Sessions and Live Sunshine – 1967. The digital audio collections, available to purchase or stream now, follow the June-issued double-LP, 1967 – Sunshine Tomorrow.

All three of the releases document the group's pivotal post-Pet Sounds period – including sessions for Smiley Smile and Wild Honey, the two 1967 albums they recorded after shelving the famously ambitious SMiLE LP. 1967 – Sunshine Tomorrow 2: The Studio Sessions includes 29 studio session recordings, and Live Sunshine – 1967 features 109 live recordings, most of which are previously unreleased.

Highlights from the Studio Sessions set include an a cappella version of "Heroes and Villains," the previously unreleased "Tune L" and outtake "Good News." The live set includes recordings from Hawaii, Detroit, Washington D.C.; White Plains, New York; Pittsburgh and Boston.

The Beach Boys oversaw the creative process for all three collections, which Mark Linett and Alan Boyd co-produced. 1967 – Sunshine Tomorrow included Linett and Boyd's first-ever stereo mix of Wild Honey; the previously unreleased "live" album Lei'd in Hawaii, studio recordings from the Wild Honey and Smiley Smile sessions and concert recordings spanning 1967 to 1970."

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/beach-boys-unearth-rare-studio-live-tracks-w513652

Dawn
12-11-2017, 05:02 PM
The Beach Boys: 1967 – Sunshine Tomorrow 2: The Studio Sessions Track List

All tracks previously unreleased

1. "Heroes And Villains" - A Cappella
2. "Vegetables" - Track And Background Vocals
3. "She's Going Bald" - Track And Background Vocals
4. "Little Pad" - A Cappella
5. "With Me Tonight" - Session Highlight
6. "Wind Chimes" - Track And Background Vocals
7. "Gettin’ Hungry" - Track And Background Vocals
8. "Whistle In" - Track And Background Vocals
9. "Aren't You Glad - Stereo Single Mix
10. "I Was Made To Love Her" - Track And Background Vocals
11. "Country Air" - Track And Background Vocals
12. "Darlin’" - Track And Background Vocals
13. "I'd Love Just Once To See You" - Track And Background Vocals
14. "Here Comes The Night" - A Cappella
15. "Let The Wind Blow" - A Cappella
16. "How She Boogalooed It" - Track And Stereo Last Verse
17. "Lonely Days" - Session Highlight And Track
18. "Time To Get Alone" - Backing Track
19. "Cool Cool Water" - Alternate Mix
20. "Can't Wait Too Long" - Alternative Mix With Tag
21. "Tune L - Session" - Unreleased
22. "Good News" - Outtake
23. "Surfin' - Lei'd In Hawaii / Studio Backing Track
24. "Heroes And Villains" - Lei'd In Hawaii / Studio Version
25. "With A Little Help From My Friends" - Session Highlight And Track With Background Vocals
26. "Barbara Ann" - Lei'd In Hawaii / Studio Backing Track
27. "California Girls" - Lei'd In Hawaii / Studio Stereo Mix
28. "God Only Knows - Lei'd In Hawaii / Studio Stereo Mix
29. "Surfer Girl" - Lei'd In Hawaii / Studio Stereo Mix - Alternate Take

Dawn
12-11-2017, 05:09 PM

I saw them too in California. Loved the show and it is true, Mike Love is a very good front man. The tribute to Dennis and Carl had me in tears.

NightMistBlue
12-12-2017, 11:58 AM
Some "new" tracks are available on streaming services. http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/beach-boys-unearth-rare-studio-live-tracks-w513652

Dawn
12-13-2017, 04:05 PM
Some "new" tracks are available on streaming services. http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/beach-boys-unearth-rare-studio-live-tracks-w513652

Awesome hope they are still streaming, been crazy busy. Did you get a chance to check any out? If so, what do you think?

Dawn
12-14-2017, 07:14 PM
Just checked out Rolling Stone for the live streaming and came across this recent article about Brian Wilson. I don't remember the lyrics to Black and White by Three Dog Night but Brian does and talks about its special significance to him in the intervew.

The Salvation of Brian Wilson

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/f...ession-w499614

Delilah
03-02-2018, 07:43 PM
Ok, I watched the video of Timothy singing “Caroline, No” as per NightMistBlue’s suggestion. It is indeed very lovely. But I am puzzled by the rest of the covers. The album (Stars and Stripes Vol. 1) is a compilation of Beach Boys songs performed by country artists, which seems kind of odd. I mean, Ricky Van Shelton sings “Fun, Fun, Fun”? :eyebrow:

Were they hoping to match the success of the Common Thread album which re-launched the Eagles into a 2nd act? Just wondering what was behind this project. I did like Lorrie Morgan’s version of “Don’t Worry Baby.”

Wiki says that Brian was reportedly treated like an invalid, but from the video clips I saw, he seems quite together and no one was treating him like he was helpless.

NightMistBlue
03-03-2018, 02:35 PM
Well, remember anyone can write/add to/edit Wikipedia content. They are supposed to properly source where they got their "facts," but many don't.

At the time, Brian was working with a producer from the MidWest named Joe Thomas. Reportedly, it was Joe's idea to do a country album.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Thomas_(producer)

Thanks to Dawn for that Rolling Stone article, which I'd missed. Lord, I'm chuckling at the deli bit. Brian loves that place, goes there at least once a day when he's home reportedly, but the food is completely mediocre! Bless his heart, maybe he just likes to get out of the house.

Dawn
03-05-2018, 02:30 PM
You're welcome NMB, I love that RS interview! I still laugh out loud at some of his comments it's hard not to even when he is not trying to be purposely funny. Brian tells it like he feels it. He can't help himself ... no filter ... what he doesn't want to think or talk about he has learned not to go there. He is Wilson!!

NightMistBlue
03-05-2018, 04:32 PM
That last bit was poignant though, when he took the journalist's hand and held it for a long time, finally kissing it, then saying with great intensity, "I hope I give a good show tonight," he says quietly. "And I hope I go to heaven."

Dawn
03-05-2018, 04:43 PM
Yes, that's true. And yes, I hope he gets to Heaven too.

The Silk Scarf Monkey
04-02-2018, 07:10 AM
I could listen to Brian Wilson for hours.

NightMistBlue
04-04-2018, 06:08 PM
Brian - that's Mr. Wilson to you and me - will be performing the Beach Boys' Christmas album in its entirety on a limited tour in December 2018.
https://liveforlivemusic.com/news/brian-wilson-holiday-tour/

NightMistBlue
12-21-2018, 03:15 PM
Happy birthday in heaven to Carl Wilson, who would have turned 72 today.

Dawn
12-21-2018, 08:47 PM
Happy birthday in heaven to Carl Wilson, who would have turned 72 today.

I second that emotion. Carl Wilson is forever missed.

shunlvswx
12-22-2018, 02:31 PM
Happy Belated 72nd Birthday to Carl Wilson. HE died so young.