PDA

View Full Version : GPS

zeldabjr
04-18-2012, 11:03 AM
I need to get a GPS...any suggestions on what is important to have in one...they all look the same to me:confused:

Zelda

sodascouts
04-18-2012, 11:51 AM
I'm thinking of getting a new one too - my old friend "Bridget" - the GPS I've had since 2006 - is looking a bit sickly nowadays. :( I'd be interested to hear people's thoughts on this as well.

Prettymaid
04-18-2012, 12:36 PM
Oh no, Bridget's getting her pink slip? Think of all the places (shows) she's gotten you to!

Brooke
04-18-2012, 01:22 PM
I have a Tom Tom and have had some trouble with it. It was actually replaced by them and does work much better.

My son has a Magellan and loves it. My sister has a Garmin and loves it too. I wouldn't be able to compare them though.

VAisForEagleLovers
04-18-2012, 01:48 PM
I have friends who have Garmins and like them. I use the built-in app on my phone, but that doesn't work when there's no data signal, so it's not reliable. Of course, it's free, so I can't complain. Have you checked a site like cnet.com for reviews? I don't have a current subscription for Consumer Reports, so I can't offer to look there for you.

GlennLover
04-18-2012, 01:55 PM
I'm thinking of getting a new one too - my old friend "Bridget" - the GPS I've had since 2006 - is looking a bit sickly nowadays. :( I'd be interested to hear people's thoughts on this as well.

So sorry to hear about Bridget :sad:. She served us well last summer in Ontario.

Victim of Love
04-18-2012, 04:34 PM
We've got Garmin and I love it. Very user-friendly and their support is out of this world (no pun intended!).

Glennsallnighter
04-18-2012, 05:15 PM
Awwwww Even I've met Bridget! I've had 2 Garmin Nuvi Satnavs. I found them great for the most part. I got free European maps but I should update them.

I tend to think a satnav is a good servant but a bad master. A few times it has given me a blatant bum steer. But generally good.

Prettymaid
04-18-2012, 05:41 PM
My step FIL gave us his Magellan about a year ago. We've used it a few times but we just don't travel that much to need it very often. But I must say, it IS good to have when you do want it!

I like it, but I've had nothing to compare it to.

sodascouts
04-18-2012, 05:51 PM
Aw, it's so true, I hate to give up Bridget. She has taken me to many shows and met quite a few Borderers along the way!

She still works but her back is chipped so she doesn't stay on the dashboard - I have to prop her up against where the ash tray used to be. If I take a curve too quickly, she goes flying.

But you know what? I've decided to keep her until she goes kaput. No fear, Bridget will be around until she's given up the ghost!

Prettymaid
04-18-2012, 05:55 PM
Yay! Good ol' Bridget gets to stay for the sentimental value!

Maybe I should name my GPS....

Henley Honey
04-18-2012, 06:12 PM
She still works but her back is chipped so she doesn't stay on the dashboard - I have to prop her up against where the ash tray used to be. If I take a curve too quickly, she goes flying.

Use some double-sided velcro. She won't budge.

zeldabjr
04-18-2012, 06:19 PM
I have friends who have Garmins and like them. I use the built-in app on my phone, but that doesn't work when there's no data signal, so it's not reliable. Of course, it's free, so I can't complain. Have you checked a site like cnet.com for reviews? I don't have a current subscription for Consumer Reports, so I can't offer to look there for you.

Oh I didn't think of Consumer Reports... my sister gets it...and I've never heard of cnet.com but will check it out. thanks..

zelda

sodascouts
04-18-2012, 06:23 PM
Use some double-sided velcro. She won't budge.

Thanks for the tip! I'll be taking her to Atlanta, so I'll need to get that ASAP. Two weeks...

GlennLover
04-18-2012, 09:39 PM
Glad to hear that Bridget will be around a while longer. :laugh:

We have a Garmin but haven't had to use it much. It seemed to work pretty well when we did use it.

lizzyplays
04-19-2012, 08:28 AM

Nice to know that other people name theirs too! When I lived in LA, my best friend was a large, French speaking Haitian man... so I named his GPS "Petunia"... He's never really forgiven me. :-)

TimothyBFan
04-19-2012, 08:39 AM
Glad to hear Bridget is sticking around. She has never let us down on a couple journeys.

We have a Tom Tom and I've named it also... I call it "son of a b....." :sad: Does that tell you how I feel about Tom Tom? :doh:

sodascouts
04-19-2012, 10:19 AM
Lol! I have a friend who calls Bridget "B***h" whenever she recalculates.

Brooke
04-19-2012, 10:31 AM
Glad to hear Bridget is sticking around. She has never let us down on a couple journeys.

We have a Tom Tom and I've named it also... I call it "son of a b....." :sad: Does that tell you how I feel about Tom Tom? :doh:

Sounds like us and our Tom Tom! :enraged:

Oh, I think that they give you different names when you select a voice, don't they? Is that where you got Bridget, Soda?

sodascouts
04-19-2012, 10:36 AM
No. I put mine on the British accent and named her Bridget in honor of Bridget Jones ' Diary!

Prettymaid
04-20-2012, 07:50 AM

:rofl:I love you Willie!

TimothyBFan
04-20-2012, 01:54 PM
:rofl:I love you Willie!

Someone has to!!!!

zeldabjr
04-22-2012, 06:57 PM
I'm guessing Tom Tom is not a fave here... my friend offered to lend me hers and it's a Tom Tom...I don't know...

zelda

Ive always been a dreamer
04-22-2012, 07:07 PM
I don't own a GPS because, as Soda can attest, I have a love/hate relationship with her Bridget. There are definitely times when Bridget has been a charm, like last year in Niagara Falls and Toronto. However, there have also been a few times when I wanted to choke her, like when she takes you places that don't exist or when she takes you through some neighborhoods that you shouldn't be in. :fear:

Brooke
04-23-2012, 09:24 AM
I'm guessing Tom Tom is not a fave here... my friend offered to lend me hers and it's a Tom Tom...I don't know...

zelda

Well, I think Tom Tom would be better than nothing! Honestly, now that I have a new one, it has worked fine most of the time. In the cities it has worked like a charm. It's out in the country that I've found it going through fields and not known where it was! :lol: