PDA

View Full Version : Celebration of "After Hours"!

Pages : [1] 2

whitcap
05-08-2012, 01:03 AM
Today's the big day! I won't have the album until at least Friday but I'd love to hear everyone's reviews and thought on the album whenever they get it :)

GlennLover
05-08-2012, 01:14 AM
It is FANTASTIC!!! I am in 7th heaven sitting here at 2:10 in the AM!!!!! Swoon, swoon! His voice is wonderful, so powerful at times & then so soft & tender! When he hits the high notes I melt! I don't think that I am going to get any sleep tonight. Too stoked!!!

Wildthyme
05-08-2012, 01:35 AM
I can't really afford it but I just have to buy it. Who needs food this week? I will live on "Sugar" :rofl:

GlennLover
05-08-2012, 01:42 AM
I can't really afford it but I just have to buy it. Who needs food this week? I will live on "Sugar" :rofl:

I don't think that you will have any trouble living on "Sugar"! Yes youve got to hear it soon!

Glennsallnighter
05-08-2012, 02:08 AM
Just woke up to my email! Says it will arrive tomorrow, but to Ireland.??? I doubt it.

But let us all enjoy the release and wish Glenn :heart: every success with his new record. He's put a lot of work and effort into it and I really hope he experiences resounding success with it.

I listened to it on the parade link last night and let me just say it is FANTASTIC! Glenn :heart: sounds superb on it, his rich mellow voice is soooooo seductive on it. For some reason 'For Sentimental Reasons' stuck out for me but I'm sure as I listen more and analyse the songs more that will change over and over again.

Now, will I get another listen in before work............

TimothyBFan
05-08-2012, 07:45 AM

:hilarious: Hey, gotta have priorities and it sounds like you're doing just fine with them. I agree!!

Tori
05-08-2012, 08:26 AM
Literally the first thing I did when I woke up today was download the album off of iTunes... and let me tell you, so far I think it's fantastic!

TimothyBFan
05-08-2012, 08:50 AM
I want the hard copy but I have a credit balance on iTunes and now I'm debating on going ahead and getting it that way. :headscratch: Decisions, decisions....

Glennsallnighter
05-08-2012, 09:02 AM
Just got a text from the Hub. 'if After Hours is in HMV will I buy it or did you order it online?'

Is the Pope Catholic?

Brooke
05-08-2012, 09:29 AM
I just got my email from Amazon that it's shipped too! :yay: Bummer that I won't get it till next Tuesday though. I'll just have to wait and enjoy your all's excitement for now. And maybe listen to the clips.

Makes me wonder that it's on Parade. After all Don's hype about not doing this kind of stuff, yet Glenn and Joe have both released early clips! Could this mean a change for the Eagles? :hmm:

Windeagle
05-08-2012, 10:17 AM
I just got my email from Amazon that it's shipped too! :yay: Bummer that I won't get it till next Tuesday though. I'll just have to wait and enjoy your all's excitement for now. And maybe listen to the clips.

Makes me wonder that it's on Parade. After all Don's hype about not doing this kind of stuff, yet Glenn and Joe have both released early clips! Could this mean a change for the Eagles? :hmm:

Or maybe that's why we're not hearing much from Don lately. Maybe he's ticked that Glenn and Joe have joined Timothy on the online Dark Side.

GlennLover
05-08-2012, 10:59 AM
Just got a text from the Hub. 'if After Hours is in HMV will I buy it or did you order it online?'

Is the Pope Catholic?

LOL, Lisa! how could he even ask, eh! :lol:

GlennLover
05-08-2012, 11:01 AM
I want the hard copy but I have a credit balance on iTunes and now I'm debating on going ahead and getting it that way. :headscratch: Decisions, decisions....

Go ahead, Willie. You won't be disappointed!

Koala
05-08-2012, 11:02 AM
Can't wait to hear this album too!

Windeagle
05-08-2012, 12:41 PM
I got mine! My favorite local record store comes through again. It's not the deluxe version, but it was the only copy they had. I can't listen to it until the ride home from work though.

On the downside, someone bought out all the used Joe Walsh records! I had hoped to pick up a couple of those too. Oh well. At least I got Glenn.

sodascouts
05-08-2012, 12:55 PM
The world is as it's meant to be 'cause I've got mine! I picked it up at the Best Buy about 4 miles away from me on the way to work and have been listening to it in the car. As I feared, no deluxe version there, but I bought one anyway. My deluxe version is on the way. So far my fave cover is Shadow of Your Smile. My fave altogether is the title track. I'm desperately hoping he plays it live!

Glennsallnighter
05-08-2012, 01:04 PM
It would be a travesty not to play the title track on the After Hours tour/ I hope you get to hear it live Soda!

Glennsallnighter
05-08-2012, 01:06 PM
LOL, Lisa! how could he even ask, eh! :lol:

Well at least he thought about it! Though I'd say Laura had some influence there. Anyway it wasn't in HMV. :sad:

sodascouts
05-08-2012, 01:18 PM
It would be a travesty not to play the title track on the After Hours tour/ I hope you get to hear it live Soda!

It would be a travesty indeed! That song is the most emotionally powerful on the album.

GlennLover
05-08-2012, 01:58 PM
It would be a travesty indeed! That song is the most emotionally powerful on the album.

I really can't see him not doing it! Afterall, he chose to feature it in his teaser video!

GlennLover
05-08-2012, 02:00 PM
Well at least he thought about it! Though I'd say Laura had some influence there. Anyway it wasn't in HMV. :sad:

Awww. I was really hoping that it would be there. I want you to hear it so badly!

VAisForEagleLovers
05-08-2012, 02:21 PM
This just hasn't been my day! I left the house during my lunch hour and the truck wouldn't start. It always starts first time every time, but I guess you shouldn't leave the phone charger plugged in and then not run it for a month. So after kicking the tire, like it was the truck's fault, I took the car in the pouring rain and hydroplaned to the local stores. None of which have the CD. I guess a person has to be closer to civilization to get new music on release day.

My last stop, the lady said it would only be available online, then turned up her nose and said that 'nobody' buys music on CD anymore. Since that implied I'm 'nobody' I told her I'd buy the other stuff on my list online and walked out of the store. Somewhere in all there is when I noticed I had on my white Eagles t-shirt and it goes completely transparent in the rain. So I came back home and downloaded the CD from Amazon and ordered a copy to be sent to my mother, which will be copies #3 and #4 that I've purchased of this album. The good news is that I'm finally dry and listening to this beautiful voice.

sodascouts
05-08-2012, 02:49 PM
First impressions, subject to change:

Overall, the thing that stands out to me the most is how rich Glenn's voice is on these songs. I love Glenn's sexy growl on rock songs but his soft voice is just like melted chocolate on this.

With the exception of the songs Glenn sang in Niagara Falls and the title track, I haven't heard any of these songs before, so I'm judging the song (both lyrics and melody) and not just Glenn's rendition of it. Some might say I focus too much on lyrics but that's the way I roll.

For Sentimental Reasons - From the first sung note, you know what you're getting into, as the instruments briefly drop away in that second and it's just Glenn. A very nice song and the way he sings "I love you for sentimental reasons; I hope you do believe me... I've given you my heart" sounds very sweet and genuine. Good choice to start the album.

My Buddy - eh, it's alright. I don't find the term "my buddy" romantic and it spoils the mood for me, especially since it's said over and over and over in the song. It doesn't help that the terms reminds me of the "My Buddy" doll for boys they sold when I was little and its accompanying ad jingle.

Route 66 - cute. It may be a bit out of place, but you gotta have at least one upbeat number. Of course, since the literal Route 66 has no pop culture significance or emotional resonance for most people born after 1970, the song is by its very nature dated; however, I guess that's the idea - most of these songs are not only from the past, they're about the past. Plus, do you really need to know about the literal Route 66 to get the gist of the song and enjoy it? Methinks not.

The Shadow of Your Smile - So. Freakin. Hot. Love this song. It gets me all emotional and makes me want to fall in love. Anyone know of any single, desperately lonely men in the Memphis area? lol

Here's to Life - This wasn't what I expected at all from the title. I thought this song would be upbeat and celebratory. Instead, it too is nostalgic and a bit sad-sounding. As a result, I'm still getting used to this song (I have to admit, this line annoys me: "There's no 'yes' in 'yesterday.' I will have to get used to that, too, lol). However, the way he sings that last "may all your storms be weathered..." is excellent. I'm sure I'll like it more with a few more listens.

It's Too Soon to Know - I really like the melody of this. After hearing it only one time I was already singing with it. It sticks in your head. I think the "fire/flame" line is clever, too. My favorite part is the "Though I'll cry when she's gone, I won't die; I'll live on." The guy in this song needs to have a talk with the guy in "I'm Getting Old Before My Time."

Caroline, No - I like this more every time I listen to it. Again, I love the emotional songs, and he really sells the pain and sadness on this one. The way he sings "Caroline, you break my heart... I want to go and cry" - he sounds absolutely agonized. The only thing I don't like is the falsetto at the end because his voice loses its power when he does that (IMHO).

The Look of Love - This one starts slow, but when you get to the part from "I can hardly wait to hold you" to "Don't ever go" it jumps from "eh" to "ooh!" The lyrics are sexy and he sells it, babe. This one has also gotten stuck in my head.

I'm Getting Old Before My Time - Eh. I didn't like this one so much. It makes me think of Glenn hobbling along with a cane - I don't like that image! Plus, regarding the lyrics - the guy in the song has been strung along by a woman for 10 years and still thinks she'll marry him eventually?! Move on, man, or as Shakespeare would say your grave is like to be your wedding bed!

Same Girl - Pretty song, but now that I know this song is about a prostitute thanks to Glenn, it puzzles me. The lyrics don't seem to fit that. I just need to stop thinking about that and focus on the beauty of the melody and Glenn's aching vocal, which is very effective.

After Hours - oh my gosh, I love this song so much! I've had a live version of this for years and have always adored it, so hearing a completed, fully arranged version just amps that love up and fills my heart to bursting! His voice conveys that mixture of sadness and tender nostalgia perfectly. I also think the lyrics are very evocative; I can picture the scene perfectly - both the colorful past and the sepia-tinged present. I'm glad he kept the "rainy streets" line because rain not only conjures up a literal visual of driving past an old haunt in the rain but also has a symbolic meaning as well; it makes me think of those colorful memories running together in the dark like the tremulous blurring of light in a street puddle on a rainy night. Superb and a terrific way to end the album.

I don't have the deluxe tracks yet. When I get home I'll download them from iTunes. I'm going to put all of this on my iPod anyway.

VAisForEagleLovers
05-08-2012, 03:13 PM
For crying out loud. I just got an email that because my vinyl copy won't be delivered until May 29, I can download the tunes for free from Glenn's site. So I didn't need to buy the MP3s from Amazon. Hmm.

VAisForEagleLovers
05-08-2012, 03:41 PM
I've listened to it twice now and I have to say, it's everything I expected it to be. I've heard almost all the songs before, and while he said he wanted to sing them true to the songs and not put his own interpretation on them, many of them have been covered many times. Like Shadow of Your Smile, I've only ever heard (or remembered) Sinatra's version, and it wasn't a favorite. I think Glenn does a much better job on it (much as I love Glenn, I never thought those words would roll off my typing fingers because I'm a big fan of Frank).

I like them all, some more than others. As I expected, The Look of Love is my favorite. He topped Diana Krall IMO. I guess because I associate Dusty Springfield with my ex-in-laws, I've never cared for her version. He puts a lot more passion into his voice than Diana does, and his pitch and tone is more pure than what I remember from Dusty's. I could listen to this all day.

I won't list every song, but I got this CD with high expectations and he managed to exceed them.

Henley Honey
05-08-2012, 04:20 PM
I'm not going to listen until after tomorrow night's show. I want each song to be a sweet surprise. I don't want to have any preconceived notions in my head. I just want to take it all in "in the moment". I'm sure I won't be disappointed.

Tori
05-08-2012, 04:38 PM
So far my favorites are After Hours, Caroline No, and Route 66. Especially Caroline No... I was listening to the album while working in my Digital Arts class today and I almost melted. This whole album is just awesome.

Glennsallnighter
05-08-2012, 04:51 PM
I'm not going to listen until after tomorrow night's show. I want each song to be a sweet surprise. I don't want to have any preconceived notions in my head. I just want to take it all in "in the moment". I'm sure I won't be disappointed.

You won't HH I'm sure! - have a wonderful evening :hug:

GlennLover
05-08-2012, 05:01 PM

I wouldn't have thought of that, HH, but I think it is a good idea!

Freypower
05-08-2012, 05:03 PM
Thanks to everybody for their initial thoughts.

GlennLover
05-08-2012, 05:15 PM
I think that Glenn's voice is so amazing on the entire album that even though some of the songs might not be what I would pick, I love them all. Caroline, No seems to be a favorite so far but oddly enough, it isn't one of my top picks. Nor is Same Girl. I seem to be more attracted to the older songs although I hadn't heard many of them before. I must be showing my age, but I'm not that old! LOL! The exception is After Hours. I have always wanted Glenn to record this & he surpassed my expectations of it. I'm glad he kept the "rainy streets" line as well.

I do agree that some of the lyrics are a bit odd. I don't know if it is the influence of the times in which they were written or not. They don't bother me, other than one line in 'Same Girl". The line "a few more holes in your arm" is a bit disturbing to me. Other than that the entire album gives me thrills every time I hear it!

GlennLover
05-08-2012, 05:48 PM
I agree about the falsetto on Caroline, No, as well. I would have preferred if he had used his natural register, but I'm being picky. :)

Freypower
05-08-2012, 06:46 PM
I agree about the falsetto on Caroline, No, as well. I would have preferred if he had used his natural register, but I'm being picky. :)

He is doing that because that is what Brian Wilson did in the original song.

I am not concerned about what Same Girl is about because I was already familiar with the song. From what I have heard, Glenn's version sounded superb.

GlennLover
05-08-2012, 07:07 PM
He is doing that because that is what Brian Wilson did in the original song.

I am not concerned about what Same Girl is about because I was already familiar with the song. From what I have heard, Glenn's version sounded superb.

I didn't know that Brian Wilson did that.

Yes, Glenn's version of Same Girl is indeed superb!

Windeagle
05-08-2012, 10:52 PM
I listened to the CD on my way home from work. In fact, I made a several-mile detour so I could hear the whole thing. Overall, I liked it better than I expected to. It helped that it was a rainy drive home, so it fit the music perfectly. Here are a few thoughts:

- Soda's description of Glenn's voice as "melted chocolate" is spot on.

- I probably would not have enjoyed it as much if I hadn't had all the previews. All the press Glenn's been doing eased the transition and managed my expectations.

- like GL, I found I liked the older songs better. My favorites were For Sentimental Reasons, Shadow of Your Smile, It's Too Soon To Know, and After Hours.

- Route 66 gave me cravings for peach pie. Long story.

- I think I prefer to listen to the songs rather than see them performed. Not that I'm giving up my Foxwoods tickets, of course. It's just that at one point, I found myself imagining Allnighter-era Glenn in a tux singing the songs I was hearing and almost had to turn up the defogger. My, it got steamy! The Today show performance had nothing on my imagination. That's just me, of course.

VAisForEagleLovers
05-08-2012, 11:32 PM
- Route 66 gave me cravings for peach pie. Long story.

I'm betting that of all the reactions he may have thought he'd get to this song, this wasn't one of them!

Freypower
05-08-2012, 11:47 PM
I'm betting that of all the reactions he may have thought he'd get to this song, this wasn't one of them!

As opposed to 'gimme another piece of that pecan pie' presumably. :nod:

The attraction of the song for me (vocals aside) is the place names. They are so resonant. In the postcards swapping site I belong to, I'm always finding Route 66 cards & in fact, a very nice Borderer sent me one before we ever knew Glenn was recording this song.

Windeagle
05-09-2012, 06:15 AM

LOL! It's because the song mentions Barstow. On a trip to California back before we were married, my husband and I stopped at this bakery in Barstow and bought a peach pie because it looked really good. We ate the whole thing as dinner that night. Best pie ever!

In fact, when I got home last night and mentioned my reaction to the song, my husband immediately asked, "Why? Does it mention Barstow?"

WalshFan88
05-09-2012, 07:04 AM
I plan to try to pick up a copy today. Will try a couple of different places.

I'm curious to see how I like it. I really love Route 66, but I'm guessing that's because I'm very familiar with it, although more in a rock n' roll Chuck Berry type shuffle fashion than the way Glenn does it, but I still love it. We'll see how I like the other songs. I haven't heard them yet. Being a rock n' roll type it might not be my thing, that said I'm one of the biggest RnB/Soul fans but not usually Jazz or such. But Marvin Gaye and Motown stuff I love. Go figure.

lizzyplays
05-09-2012, 07:47 AM
I can almost guarantee that if you don't like it so much now, you will in several years Austin. :-)

I am probably about as hardcore 'rocker' chick as anyone in here but as I'm getting older I am loving to embrace new things and like yourself, I really love old R&B and Motown and even really old stuff that influenced groups like the Rolling Stones. (that's old!) The 70's era Glenn and Eagles will always be my favorite so it's going to be an adjustment for me to start accepting that, well, he's a much older man now. Nevermind the fact that I have to accept that I'm becoming an older:sigh: woman... but that's another story, for another thread... heck, probably for another forum! lol

I am so far behind on the forum and what's going on where and I can't even begin to sort through the who's playing where threads and who's going to which shows... BUT, if someone would be so kind to post what kind of tshirts they have available at the Glenn shows, I'd love to know. I love the one with the CD... do I get that through Amazon? I need help/advise!

TimothyBFan
05-09-2012, 08:46 AM
So far my favorites are After Hours, Caroline No, and Route 66. Especially Caroline No... I was listening to the album while working in my Digital Arts class today and I almost melted. This whole album is just awesome.

Tori---first I just have to say how happy it makes me to know that you are listening to this album. I'd be willing to bet that you are rare for your age. Kudos to you for having such an open mind about the music you listen to!!!

Austin--I originally said I doubted I would buy this album but then I listened to the previews and decided I had to have it. I have always enjoyed artist like Sinatra, Martin, Wayne Newton, etc.... so why not this one by Glenn. I guess I thought I wouldn't be able to get past the fact that Glenn's suppose to be singing Eagles and songs like The Heat Is On and Smuggler's Blues, not the music my mother listened to. :lol: I've heard some of the songs before but really can't say I know anything about them. I don't know if that was a good thing going into this or not. But I'm glad I bought it. Hope you will too.

Didn't get my hard copy yet, will do that later. Bought the deluxe version off of iTunes. I've only listened once but here's my favorites:

For Sentimental Reasons
It's Too Soon To Know
Caroline No
The Look Of Love
I'm Getting Old Before My Time-- love the horn. This song more than any of the others, to me, has that "old" sound to it. I can so see someone standing in front of a big band, with one of those old time microphones, singing this. It gave me such a visual for some reason.
I Wanna Be Around--Love the way his voice sounds at the very beginning of this song.

All and all, I'm glad I have it in my collection but can honestly say it won't be something I listen to much but in the right frame of mind, I can see me putting it on.

TimothyBFan
05-09-2012, 09:14 AM
Random thought---- I know Glenn said he wanted to do this for his parents. Wonder what they think of the way he's done them.

Windeagle
05-09-2012, 09:17 AM
Wow. I had a really unexpected reaction to this CD this morning. I was listening on my way to work and pondering whether either of Glenn's parents has dementia because the emotion he was putting into "My Buddy" just had that feeling to it. I can't describe why. It reminded me of my own parents, who are going through that now. My dad is nothing close to the person he used to be and it's really sad to watch.

But when my thoughts turned to my dad, all of a sudden, I just started bawling. I was always Daddy's girl and when Glenn hit that last line of "your buddy misses you," I completely lost it and almost had to pull over. It was so powerful. I still can't think of it without tearing up.

Many of you have talked about having a "moment" with Glenn or other Eagles. I guess I've had my moment.

TimothyBFan
05-09-2012, 12:07 PM
Awww WE!!! :grouphug: All of here "get it"!!

sodascouts
05-09-2012, 12:14 PM
Aw, I'm sorry to hear about your dad, WE. Sometimes songs get to you in ways the original artist never could have imagined. The power of music!

zeldabjr
05-09-2012, 01:41 PM
Awww WE!!! :grouphug: All of here "get it"!!

boy you are right:grouphug: I know watching my parents suffer with their illnesses is the hardest thing I've ever had to do. Isn't it amazing what music does to us?

sodascouts
05-09-2012, 01:54 PM
I do agree that some of the lyrics are a bit odd. I don't know if it is the influence of the times in which they were written or not. They don't bother me, other than one line in 'Same Girl". The line "a few more holes in your arm" is a bit disturbing to me. Other than that the entire album gives me thrills every time I hear it!

Oh my gosh, is that what that line truly says? I was thinking I must've heard it wrong. So she's not only a prostitute, she's a heroin addict (unless there's some other kind of drug you inject). Is the guy in the song her pimp who's fallen in love with her? At first I thought it was an old boyfriend who was sad about the fact that she'd become a prostitute and was hoping she'd quit soon, ala "Roxanne." However, the whole "A few more nights on the street, that's all / A few more holes in your arm / A few more years with me" puts it in another light, like the fact that she's "with" him is what makes her have to walk the streets and do drugs in order to emotionally deal with making her living on her back. Me no likee... but perhaps I'm interpreting this wrong. Yes, it is distracting me from enjoying the song - what can I say? I think about this stuff. It's the literary critic in me and there's nothing to be done about it.

To bring it back to the positive: the song has a pretty melody and a emotive vocal.

Windeagle
05-09-2012, 02:46 PM
Oh my gosh, is that what that line truly says? I was thinking I must've heard it wrong. So she's not only a prostitute, she's a heroin addict (unless there's some other kind of drug you inject). Is the guy in the song her pimp who's fallen in love with her? At first I thought it was an old boyfriend who was sad about the fact that she'd become a prostitute and was hoping she'd quit soon, ala "Roxanne." However, the whole "A few more nights on the street, that's all / A few more holes in your arm / A few more years with me" puts it in another light, like the fact that she's "with" him is what makes her have to walk the streets and do drugs in order to emotionally deal with making her living on her back. Me no likee... but perhaps I'm interpreting this wrong. Yes, it is distracting me from enjoying the song - what can I say? I think about this stuff. It's the literary critic in me and there's nothing to be done about it.

To bring it back to the positive: the song has a pretty melody and a emotive vocal.

Glenn did say in the WNYC interview that "Same Girl" was "stained" and "haunted." The minor chords in the melody emphasize that. I had the Roxanne vibe at first too, but maybe the guy's not a pimp. Maybe he's just someone who's equally down on his luck and loves her in spite of the things she's doing to survive. I'll have to listen more closely on the ride home.

GlennLover
05-09-2012, 05:55 PM

I think is voice is amazing on this song! I think it would be difficult to sing well.

It was Glenn that mentioned the "few more holes in your arm" line in the
WYNC interview. I hadn't clued in to the words he was singing until I heard the interview. Like you, Soda, it also distracts me from full enjoyment of the song. I guess because it is so haunting.

WalshFan88
05-09-2012, 05:55 PM
Just picked it up!

Going to give it a listen and will share my thoughts after I've played it through a few times!

GlennLover
05-09-2012, 05:57 PM
Just picked it up!

Going to give it a listen and will share my thoughts after I've played it through a few times!

Anxious to hear if you enjoyed it!

sodascouts
05-09-2012, 06:00 PM
It was Glenn that mentioned the "few more holes in your arm" line in the WYNC interview. I hadn't clued in to the words he was singing until I heard the interview. Like you, Soda, it also distracts me from full enjoyment of the song. I guess because it is so haunting.

Since I've had to catch up on work after my adventures last week, I haven't had time to listen to all of the interviews - to my great shame and mortification. I will have to do so ASAP!

WalshFan88
05-09-2012, 08:23 PM
Just listened to it once through and starting to listen to certain tracks again.

The verdict is that I like it!! More than I thought I would, even.

Route 66 is definitely my favorite. I love his version. I just have always liked that song. For Sentimental Reasons is probably my 2nd favorite right now. That or Caroline, No.

This is something I could see myself listening to in the background to relax or to fall asleep. It's pretty different than what I'm used to but I like it. It's not the slow depressing stuff which is good as I don't need any help in that area. But they are very calming. That said, "Same Girl" I think is probably my least favorite.

I got to thinking of other songs of this type that I'd like to hear him cover and I thought of a few. I'll make a list in a bit.

Topkat
05-10-2012, 07:38 AM
Not sure if this trailer has been posted but worth posting again

http://www.youtube.com/watch?list=UUa6vGFO9ty8v5KZJXQxdhaw&feature=player_detailpage&v=oDfqYOxB4ps

GlennLover
05-10-2012, 07:49 AM
Isn't it beautiful? It's from his performance last night on Jimmy Kimmel Live.

Brooke
05-10-2012, 09:36 AM
Austin, I'm very surprised that you like it at all, but I'm glad you do! It's always good to try something new!

whitcap
05-11-2012, 02:26 PM
I've Got Mine! :D

Brooke
05-11-2012, 03:28 PM
Mine's supposed to be leaving St. Louis this morning. I will choke if I get it today! Grrrrrrr!

Last time I pre-order from Amazon! I thought that that meant I would get it by the release date. I'm not a happy camper! :mad:

whitcap
05-11-2012, 03:57 PM
I really enjoy this album. Glenn's voice sounds great!

Based off the first listen my favorites are Route 66, It's Too Soon To Know, Caroline No, The Look of Love, Worried Mind and After Hours.

Victim of Love
05-12-2012, 06:51 PM
Have been listening to "After Hours" again for about the umteenth time and I'm loving this 'kinder, gentler" side of Glenn. As for a favorite song the jury is still out but I'm leaning toward I Wanna Be Around as my #1. His voice is so clear and rich on that cut...sends chills down my spine! Honestly, he could pick up the pieces of my heart any day. This whole CD is quite a departure from his Eagles work and his previous solo ventures but it is absolutely a joy to listen to over and over. (NOW I'd like to hear him sing "Unforgettable".) The title track is also FAN-TAS-TIC....definitely my #2.

sodascouts
05-12-2012, 08:13 PM
I was listening to the bonus tracks and thinking they're better than some of the stuff on the regular album!

I Wanna Be Around is terrific; very catchy and sung with power. I guess Glenn thought it was too bada$$ to fit with the other songs. It's smoothly sung snark. ;) I personally love it.

Worried Mind gets your foot tapping. I understand that he probably thought it was too country for the album, but I'm glad he put it as a bonus track.

The Good Life has a pretty piano part and, again, a great vocal. I love how he sings "In case you wonder why..." Mmm indeed. ;) It sounds like it would fit right in with the rest, so I'm stymied as to why he didn't include it in the regular version.

Speaking of the regular version, you can tell "I'm Getting Old Before My Time" was written for a woman to sing. Back in the forties (thirties?) when this song was written, no man would be asking a woman to go to Woolworth's to buy him a ring! Even in this day and age it's a bit unmanly! lol

Koala
05-13-2012, 01:08 AM
I've heard the album a few times now, I must say I like the album but my favorite album of Glenn of it does Not become.

sodascouts
05-13-2012, 01:46 AM
Yes, his original albums are better to me as well. They're more my type of music. Although Glenn has expressed the highest respect for this material, he and Tempchin (not to mention he and Henley) have written many songs that are superior, IMHO. However, this is good stuff, too. He mentioned in a couple interviews he hoped to introduce people to this kind of music and he certainly did that for me. Plus - and here's the clincher - his voice sounds freaking amazing.

It's funny - he tells the story about his mom and Glenn Miller - my dad played trumpet in a big band in college before I was born and our hall closet is chock full of Glenn Miller records, now all covered in dust. In fact, I thought the normal way to spell "Glenn" was with two "n"s and the people who only spelled it with one "n" were the oddities. However, I had no desire to play any of those Glenn Miller albums, nor any other of my parents' albums, and even they rarely played them. Dad was too busy working, and Mom was too busy chasing us kids around, I guess. Thus, I remained willfully ignorant. Sadly, those LPs will probably never get played again because my parents no longer have a working record player. (Ironically, I do, but it's hooked up to my computer so I can digitize LPs that haven't been released as CDs).

I think I might get my parents this album. I think they would be into it. They certainly would like it better than an album with songs that involve extramarital sex, cussing (including taking the Lord's name in vain), and/or substance abuse!

Windeagle
05-13-2012, 10:30 AM
Question to those with the deluxe edition, and especially those who have seen both - is there anything different in the booklet and do you think the additional songs are worth buying another copy? Or should I just buy the individual songs? The reason I ask is that I purchased the standard version on Day One (because that was all the store had), but yesterday I saw several copies of the deluxe edition at Best Buy for $11.99 each.

My thought was that I might wait until after the show on the 20th to decide, but I'd love to hear Border input.

VAisForEagleLovers
05-13-2012, 12:53 PM
Question to those with the deluxe edition, and especially those who have seen both - is there anything different in the booklet and do you think the additional songs are worth buying another copy? Or should I just buy the individual songs? The reason I ask is that I purchased the standard version on Day One (because that was all the store had), but yesterday I saw several copies of the deluxe edition at Best Buy for $11.99 each.

My thought was that I might wait until after the show on the 20th to decide, but I'd love to hear Border input.

Everyone's tastes are different but three of four of my favorites are the three extras.

Victim of Love
05-13-2012, 06:34 PM
I have to agree with VK...while some may not be over the top with the bonus songs, I too find that I'm particularly draw to two of them over some of the others (although I really love the whole thing).

Freypower
05-13-2012, 06:35 PM
I've heard the album a few times now, I must say I like the album but my favorite album of Glenn of it does Not become.

Would you at least tell us which tracks you like?

GlennLover
05-13-2012, 08:54 PM

WE, I would say that the bonus tracks are definitely worth getting! You might want to buy only those songs instead of the CD as I can't see there being much less in the regular booklet than there is in the deluxe. I was disappointed in it. Not much info. It does list the musicians for each song, but there are no lyrics.

BTW, Glenn doesn't play any instruments on the album, but he does do all the singing.

sodascouts
05-13-2012, 10:26 PM
If you do most of your listening on an iPod or digitally, then purchase the bonus songs separately. If you do most of your listening in the CD format, then go ahead and buy the deluxe CD so you can have all of the songs on one disc.

In terms of booklet extras for the deluxe edition or anything like that, there are none unless I'm missing something. The only difference in the two versions that I can see is the three songs.

Windeagle
05-13-2012, 11:04 PM
Good to know. Thanks everyone. I'm leaning toward just buying the missing songs, but I'll still probably wait until after the show to see which ones I can't live without.

sodascouts
05-13-2012, 11:20 PM
"For Sentimental Reasons" has been stuck in my head all day. It's becoming a favorite. My other faves are "The Shadow of Your Smile," "I Wanna Be Around," "Caroline No", "It's Too Soon to Know," and "The Look of Love." Of course, the best one of all is "After Hours."

VAisForEagleLovers
05-13-2012, 11:34 PM
My song-by-song review of After Hours...

OK, I listened to this CD about 400 times this weekend while driving (a slight exaggeration), and I like it even more now than I did on first hearing it. Even better, it passed the test of my aunt (who is 86) and my mother (who is 71). My mother loves everything Eagles and very definitely Glenn and I think she was hoping for more up-tempo standards, but she still loved it. My aunt was over the moon. She’s seen some of these songs performed by the artists back in the 40’s and 50’s in concert and I’m not certain she believed me when I assured her the singer on this CD was a member of the Eagles. For me, hearing songs I’ve always liked with a voice I truly love is like a little slice of heaven.

For Sentimental Reasons: I am very familiar with Nat King Cole’s version (have it on CD), and have heard Dinah Shore sing it a few times. Glenn stayed very true to NKC’s version, except Glenn’s version has a better sounding piano. I’m very biased, so as much as I’ve always enjoyed listening to NKC, I like the sound of Glenn’s voice better. I’m not a fan of artists taking a well-loved song and ‘making it theirs’ by changing it up. Glenn didn’t do that, he left it alone and he sings it with feeling. Listening to it, I get the sense that he’s enjoying himself. Hearing it live was a real treat.

My Buddy: I remember hearing Gene Autry’s version when I was a kid, my grandfather was a big Gene Autry fan. This would be my mother and aunt’s father. Mostly, though, I remember Pappap singing it to me before he ‘took sick’ as the family always refers the massive strokes that ended his singing and banjo playing. So as much as I love Glenn’s version, my grandfather’s will never be topped. Still, it brings back a lot of good memories and I’m so glad he decided to include it.

The Good Life: I’ve heard Sinatra’s version many times on the Sinatra channel on SiriusXM, and I prefer Tony Bennett’s version. Glenn’s is very definitely more like Tony Bennett’s. Bennett’s is more ‘crooning’ in my opinion. It’s a good song to have in the background while doing something else. Glenn sings it with more passion and it demands to be listened to. I listen to it over and over, I just love it. My aunt really loved it as well.

Route 66: This is a song that always had me turning the station when it came on, regardless of who sang it. When I mentioned to my mother it was on the CD, she asked, ‘Why?’, so I guess we think alike on it. However, the piano intro and the steel guitar and heavy country influence had her dancing in her seat. I like Glenn’s version and sing along with it, and I’m sure it’s because of the steel guitar. My country roots are showing, I know.

The Shadow of Your Smile: I’d only ever heard Sinatra’s live version (he never did a studio recording) on the 40’s channel on SiriusXM and it was definitely one of my least-liked songs of his. If I’ve heard others sing it, I don’t remember it. I was a bit worried when I heard this was to be on the CD, but Glenn does a great job with it. I listened to Tony Bennett’s version on YouTube before writing this, and I have to say, I’m glad Glenn changed this one just a bit. My aunt’s response? “Ohh, this is nice. Oh wow.”

Here’s To Life: I’d never heard this song before, but my aunt was sure she’d heard it before. I love the way Glenn sings it, he makes it come alive. “Here’s to life and every joy it brings.” The way he sings that line and holds the ‘brings’ is amazing. Michael Bolton was right, Glenn’s voice is perfect for these songs. “Here’s to life, to dreamers and their dreams.” His voice makes my skin gooseflesh on this. It’s utterly perfect.

It’s Too Soon To Know: I don’t remember ever hearing this before, but my mother assures me Pat Boone sang it the year she graduated (1958). Probably others. I like the emotion he brings to the song. He sings it real. Like he really wonders what this woman is thinking and it just might tear him up if he’s just another flame. My mother definitely likes Glenn’s version even though Pat Boone was always a favorite of hers. Of course, when it comes to Glenn she’s as biased as I am, so...

Caroline, No: I hate to say this, but the Beach Boys generally annoyed me. Too much of their surfing songs drove me up a wall. My ex-husband loved them and I always swore he played the records over and over to drive me insane. Caroline No wasn’t like their other songs, in my opinion, so I’d listen to it for that reason. It was still far from a favorite. I do enjoy listening to Glenn sing it. I let it play through and go to the next, I don’t repeat it three times like I do some of the others, but he does a great job with it. I don’t think it’s possible for him to sing something without putting a lot of himself into the song and this is a good example.

I’m Getting Old Before My Time: I don’t remember ever hearing this before. It makes me smile when I hear him sing it. He said at the songwriter’s event that he likes songs that paint a picture, and in this one I can see someone with the impatience and dramatics of youth lamenting being old and gray before the other person gets around to making a permanent commitment. He sings it well and again I feel like he’s enjoying himself.

Worried Mind: Both my parents remember this one well, but when I mentioned it, my Dad said, “The Possum.” Sure enough, I Googled it and George Jones covered it, and it’s the one with the steel guitar, not Ray Charles’s version. Glenn’s is a perfect combination of both. As I mentioned before, I’m big on ‘twang’ and steel guitars (which is good because my father insisted on playing country music from the 60s and 70s as we drove around today). This is definitely one of my favorites on the CD, and hearing it live was fantastic.

I Wanna Be Around: I’ve always loved this song! Glenn does an incredible job on it. He definitely does it more like Tony Bennett than Sinatra. This is definitely one of those ‘bittersweet’ love songs he mentioned in an interview. It’s one that I repeat several times before going on to the next song.

Same Girl: This was a very interesting choice of song to put on the CD. Glenn does it well, and I do find some humor in hearing a love song about a junkie and her pimp. While I do wonder what Randy Newman was thinking when he wrote the song, Glenn’s interpretation of it is spot-on, and his voice is much better than Randy’s IMO.

After Hours: What can I say? A Frey/Tempchin song sung by Glenn, it doesn’t get any better than this. It very definitely fits in with the CD as a whole, and I like the song and the way it’s sung. I let my mother and aunt struggle with placing it for a while before I told them it was an original. Both were very surprised. Both liked it a lot.

The Look of Love: I saved this for last because I’m still in awe of the way Glenn does this song. Still kind of speechless. This has always been one of my favorite songs. After the Falls View concerts, when I checked out GFO and saw Soda’s link to The Border (and consequently join) and read the review here, I was actually trembling with excitement at the idea of hearing my favorite artist sing one of my favorite songs. He doesn’t disappoint. He nails it and I love it. It goes without saying that I’ve listened to this song on the CD at least forty times since getting it downloaded last Tuesday. Love it love it love it.

Freypower
05-13-2012, 11:54 PM
Thank you so much VA! What a superb review! I won't be able to write my own until I return from the States but this gives me an idea of what I am in for!!!:singer:

VAisForEagleLovers
05-14-2012, 12:22 AM
Thank you, FP. I think one's initial reaction to this CD will vary depending on whether they've heard the songs before, and whether or not this genre is one that is liked. For myself, I've always listened to very wide range of genres.

Oddly enough, listening so much to Worried Mind had me listening to my Alan Jackson playlist on the way home this evening, and now I'm really looking forward to that concert next Sunday. Somehow, my AJ pre-concert anticipation has gotten lost in the shuffle.

Glennsallnighter
05-14-2012, 02:16 AM
Well as I said a few pages ago, 'For Sentimental Reasons' is definitely becoming a favourite with me! I would put it with 'After Hours' and 'The Shadow of your Smile' as probably being my top 3. Of course it's very difficult really to rank these songs in terms of like or dislike! I love them all! And I'm so fickle I could change my mind in the morning!

There are also some lyrics really starting to stand out as I listen the CD. I must post a few of them later.

Love your review VA! Im not as familiar with the original versions of many of the songs so I'm really just working on Glenn :heart: s versions.

Brooke
05-14-2012, 10:23 AM
I finally got mine on Saturday! I couldn't wait and ripped it open to listen as I was driving to town! I've listened through a couple times and still find it hard to believe it's Glenn Frey, the rock star, singing these old songs! I think I have only heard The Good Life and The Look of Love before.

At first impression, it won't be something I listen to much. It's just not my cup of tea, but once in a while, for a certain mood, it will be nice to have. Hey, if Glenn likes it, then it must be worthwhile! :lol:

I thought about playing it for my Mom on our way out to eat yesterday, but she seemed to be in a talkative mood, so never got around to it. I will though, to see if she even likes that kind of music. Her and Dad were more in to country and western when I was a kid, I think.

GlennLover
05-14-2012, 04:18 PM
I really haven't had time to do an in depth review. I to have been playing it over & over. I even listen to it on my iPod every night before I go to sleep. I can't get enough of the sound of Glenn's voice singing these songs! Only a small number were fairly familiar to me - The Look of Love (quite familiar), My Buddy (my husband plays Anne Murray's version of this a lot) & The Shadow of Your Smile (most familiar with an instrumental version).

Originally posted by VAisForEagleLovers: Here’s To Life: I’d never heard this song before, but my aunt was sure she’d heard it before. I love the way Glenn sings it, he makes it come alive. “Here’s to life and every joy it brings.” The way he sings that line and holds the ‘brings’ is amazing. Michael Bolton was right, Glenn’s voice is perfect for these songs. “Here’s to life, to dreamers and their dreams.” His voice makes my skin gooseflesh on this. It’s utterly perfect.

I couldn't agree with you more, VA! The line "to dreamers and their dreams", Is the highlight of the entire CD for me. I have the same reaction to it as you do, especially the last note on "dreams"!

I'm anxious to hear more of others opinions! I'll try to post my review of all the songs before too long.

Freypower
05-19-2012, 07:29 PM
I feel it's time to post an initial review because I leave for LA tomorrow.

First of all I'm so glad he did it. I guess I've been wanting to hear him sing like this for a long time, and it was worth the wait. Overall I find it deeply satisfying.

Obviously there are some tracks I prefer to others. I am going to keep this fairly short because I am still getting to know it. I should state that in contrast to VA's review the only originals I knew were Caroline, No & Same Girl. While I was aware of Shadow Of Your Smile & Look Of Love I wasn't all that familiar with previous versions; same for Route 66. I knew none of the other songs.

For Sentimental Reasons: very low key but very melodic. It gets stuck in your head when you start to think about it. It's a nice way to kick off the album as it sets the mood (I guess it's like this live; I suppose I'll find out).

My Buddy: this is the weakest track. I find the whole premise of it strange, as Soda did, but it is pleasant enough. Like many of these old songs, it is probably too short. Just when you find yourself getting into the song, it ends! Nice relaxed vocal.

The Good Life: I like this a lot but again it's too short. I only remembered the 'explore the unknown' part for the first time yesterday. I may be stupid but I don't understand the last part; 'in case you wonder why/wake up, kiss the good life goodbye'. I'm not sure how that relates to the rest of the song, but it is beautifully sung.

Route 66: I thought I'd get sick of this. I haven't. He really swings it (listen to the pronunciation of 'plan' & 'two)'. I smile whenever I hear it; remember I already have a personal memory of this song, so it should be good next week.

The Shadow Of Your Smile: Torch song alert! How perfect is this? Of course, I have already seen this sung live. It was almost surreal watching it. It is just beautiful.

Here's To Life: oh. Oh. This is the highlight of the entire album for me. This may be the best, most passionate vocal he has done since POMPOY. I know he didn't write it but it seems to sum up his philosophy on many things. As VA & GA said, listen to the exquisite delivery of the lline 'to dreamers & their dreams' and try not to melt into thin air. Every time I listen to this I just go 'how does he do that'? Perhaps he thought this one was too 'cabaret' to sing live.

It's Too Soon To Know: This is the 'sleeper' of the album; I still have trouble remembering it. Love the 'big finish'! He won't die; he'll live on! You go, Glenn!

Caroline, No: Sheer perfection. Again, I've seen it. Listen to what he does when he sings 'cry' for the second time. It's so moving, so haunting. Beautiful arrangement (how I wish I could talk more about the music).

The Look Of Love: There's a bit of 'double tracking' on his voice here, I think but it's so wonderful that I just sigh at it. Again, I've seen it & it's great to sing along with. So delicate, so emotional... so Glenn.

I'm Getting Old Before My Time: Not one of my favourites, but it has quite a bluesy feel to it.

Worried Mind: This is growing on me; I can see why he did it, but I have heard so many Hank Williams songs like this (it sounds a bit similar to Van Morrison's Pay The Devil country album).

I Wanna Be Around: OOH! I didn't see this coming! I just love what 'happens' in it! The end is a classic - 'like you, LIKE YOU, broke mine'! I could listen to him sing that all day. For some reason I also like his delivery of the line 'misery loves company'. I'm glad it isn't all 'sugar & spice' and there are darker moments, speaking of which:

Same Girl: Magnificent. Just wonderful, especially the line 'a few more years on the streets, that's all'. This one is for me, the huge Randy Newman fan. I don't intend to try & convert others to its joys. I can't wait to see it.

After Hours: Let us all genuflect at the perfection of this song, be grateful that we have an official recording of it, and (for some of us) be even more grateful to see it sung live.

Can you tell I'm excited?!

VAisForEagleLovers
05-19-2012, 07:56 PM
Here's To Life: oh. Oh. This is the highlight of the entire album for me. This may be the best, most passionate vocal he has done since POMPOY. I know he didn't write it but it seems to sum up his philosophy on many things. As VA & GA said, listen to the exquisite delivery of the lline 'to dreamers & their dreams' and try not to melt into thin air. Every time I listen to this I just go 'how does he do that'? Perhaps he thought this one was too 'cabaret' to sing live.

We were told that they were to learn it and rehearse it yesterday, they didn't sing it last night. If he sings it live now that my road trip is done I'll cry. Besides the totally amazing vocals on the song, it's a good song and a happy premise.

Freypower
05-19-2012, 08:10 PM
We were told that they were to learn it and rehearse it yesterday, they didn't sing it last night. If he sings it live now that my road trip is done I'll cry. Besides the totally amazing vocals on the song, it's a good song and a happy premise.

Oh wow. Please let that happen. :bow: But obviously I will feel for you if you have missed it. Will it replace an existing song or be added?

Glennsallnighter
05-20-2012, 04:44 AM
I'm so delighted you are so excited FP. BON VOYAGE!

VAisForEagleLovers
05-20-2012, 10:00 AM
Oh wow. Please let that happen. :bow: But obviously I will feel for you if you have missed it. Will it replace an existing song or be added?

They didn't say and I didn't think to ask...

Koala
05-26-2012, 10:27 AM
I've now heard the album very often and I found it better with every listen!
I think I had to get used to it first!

VAisForEagleLovers
05-26-2012, 10:54 AM
I've now heard the album very often and I found it better with every listen!
I think I had to get used to it first!

It is definitely different from his previous releases, so yes, to someone not familiar with these song beforehand, it would take some adjustment!

Koala
05-26-2012, 11:41 AM
It is definitely different from his previous releases, so yes, to someone not familiar with these song beforehand, it would take some adjustment!

Right, usually this is not my preferred style of music but I must say I can really get used to!

Windeagle
05-26-2012, 02:55 PM
My husband hit it exactly after the show last weekend. He commented that if people can just get past seeing these songs as "Grandma music" and listen to them as they are, they're really gorgeous songs. This is from someone who isn't even a fan (or at least wasn't before the show).

VAisForEagleLovers
08-05-2012, 09:51 AM
When the Eagles concerts were announced for Atlantic City, I concentrated my non-radio listening on Eagles music. Now with Glenn's concert announced for FL, I've been listening to After Hours again. This morning I put it in my home stereo system and just enjoyed it without the distraction of yelling at other drivers. :grin:

I have all kinds of 'Vocals' and 'Standards' CDs in the stereo system by the pool and coming back to After Hours, I have to say once again what an amazing album this is. Even getting past the great songs and amazing vocals, the arrangements of them, the production of it is incredible. You can listen to it compared to the others and tell it was done with time, a lot of work, a lot of care, and a lot of love for the music. Some of the others feel like the artist said, "I bet I can get this down in one try." Not this one.

Tiffanny Twisted
08-05-2012, 10:21 AM
When the Eagles concerts were announced for Atlantic City, I concentrated my non-radio listening on Eagles music. Now with Glenn's concert announced for FL, I've been listening to After Hours again. This morning I put it in my home stereo system and just enjoyed it without the distraction of yelling at other drivers. :grin:

I have all kinds of 'Vocals' and 'Standards' CDs in the stereo system by the pool and coming back to After Hours, I have to say once again what an amazing album this is. Even getting past the great songs and amazing vocals, the arrangements of them, the production of it is incredible. You can listen to it compared to the others and"s

tell it was done with time, a lot of work, a lot of care, and a lot of love for the music. Some of the others feel like the artist said, "I bet I can get this down in one try." Not this one.

I think that Glenn is a perfectionist and knows how he wants it to sound.
He did the album for his parents. What a nice gift to them and we get to enjoy it. He stepped out of the box with this one because it was something he wanted to do for his Mom.:angel:
Music is music and I listen to different things at different times depending on my mood. At the concert he did a jazzy version of"The heat is ON "and "Smugglers Blues" which I loved and they are not on the album.

I think this album was something he wanted to do for a long time and I am glad he did it and we get to enjoy it for what it is........a gift to his parents:thumbsup:

Glennsallnighter
08-05-2012, 12:07 PM
I must say I agree! I really love listening to 'After Hours'. It's a complete stress buster and it is so easy to listen to. Glenn :heart:'s warm mellow voice just transports me to wonderful places. While I do love his other work too, this one is completely different and is one of my favourite albums. I never tire of listening to it.

sodascouts
05-08-2013, 02:10 AM
HAPPY FIRST BIRTHDAY, AFTER HOURS!!

One year ago today, Glenn put out his first solo album since the 90s... After Hours. Wow, I can't believe it's been a whole year already!

Remember how excited we all were when we saw this trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_HezXTiOCNw

To celebrate, here's a couple videos from the official channel:

My favorite, next to the title track:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-lN1-r4cvts

This isn't too shabby either - love the dancing!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WsnQKSIshNQ

I'm so grateful to Glenn for putting out new material, and I hope there's more to come!

Glennsallnighter
05-08-2013, 03:58 AM
I was going to start a new thread 'Happy Birthday After Hours' but this is just as good!

Definitely the best release of 2012,

Thank you for a wonderful album Glenn :heart:

I sincerely hope that I get to see you do more solo 'After Hours' shows - you will always find a welcome in Ireland!

For the record, my favourites......

1. After Hours
2. For Sentimental Reasons
3. The shadow of Your Smile
4. Route 66
5. Here's to Life
6. It's Too Soon to Know
7. The Look of Love
8. I Wanna Be Around
9. Caroline No
10. Same Girl
11. Worried Mind
12 My Buddy
13. The Good Life
14. I'm Getting Old Before My Time

The lower ones vary depending on the mood I am in etc.

Love all those videos too Soda, thanks for reporting.

And I too remember all the excitement and anticipation this time last year, and the joy when I finally got that CD into my hot little hands .

Outlawman13
05-08-2013, 07:19 AM
I love this album to bits! It's amazing! Glenn's voice is way too incredible and he proves it in here. My favvie track is Caroline, No. I love Glenn's style on these covers as well. Need to see him in the solo concert. Happy birthday to this incredible album!

Brooke
05-08-2013, 10:19 AM
I was pretty skeptical about this album because this just isn't my kind of music, but after listening to it many times, I really love it. Not something I listen to every day, I have to be in the mood. But when I do, I really enjoy all of it. Favorite songs are After Hours and For Sentimental Reasons.

Now, Glenn, this proves how great a singer you are and that you need to be doing more of it with your other band. We don't want to hear anymore about you doing fewer leads. :fingerwag: :lol:

Freypower
05-08-2013, 06:52 PM
I love this album with a passion I never thought I would feel again & haven't since LROOE.

I will list the tracks in order of preference as GA has.

1 Here's To Life
2 After Hours
3 Same Girl
4 The Shadow Of Your Smile
5 The Look Of Love
6 Route 66
7 I Wanna Be Around
8 It's Too Soon To Know
9 Caroline, No
10 For Sentimental Reasons
11 The Good Life
12 I'm Getting Old Before My Time
13 Worried Mind
14 My Buddy

It was such a privilege to watch him sing some of these songs, most of which were my favourites, except for Worried Mind & I even changed my mind about that in Sydney when he was looking at me as he was singing part of it.

I was listening to My Buddy, which is my least favourite, this morning & I love how he weaves his voice around the melody. He does that throughout. I still get chills & goosebumps over the way he sings certain words. The end of FSR when he pronounces the final 't' in heart' is similar to a moment in another favourite song of mine, A Walk In The Dark.

I am getting more into the beautiful piano & string arrangements (Same Girl, which I worship, has magnficent strings). Love the jazzy feel of Route 66. Every time he starts the song he takes me back to Niagara Falls where he pointed at me when he started to sing. Talk about inviting you on a journey.

The end of I Wanna Be Around knocks me flat every time. I'd put that into the setlist & drop Worried Mind. It's a showstopper! The title track is so mournful & reflective; it is a major piece of work. He should be proud of it. And son on & so on...

Ive always been a dreamer
05-11-2013, 01:44 PM
So sorry I'm late on this, but belatedly ...

HAPPY 1ST BIRTHDAY AFTER HOURS!!!

I have been working on a review of the songs since I didn't do one when the album first came out. I wanted to give this album some time to see if I changed my mind about any of the songs. I was hoping to have it ready to post on the anniversary date, but I haven't had time to complete it. Hopefully, I can get around to posting it soon.

05-11-2013, 08:26 PM
Well I managed to get my After Hours review finished, so here goes ...

In thinking about the After Hours album, I am reminded of something that the guys in the band always say that really rings true for me here. They always say when it’s all said and done, the Eagles’ huge and enduring success all comes down to one thing – it’s the songs.

So when I try to analyze how I feel about this album, I find that it boils down to that one thing for me – it’s the songs. Quite simply, this is my least favorite of all of Glenn’s solo albums because these are just not my types of songs. Now that doesn't mean that I don't think After Hours is a good album - as a matter of fact, I believe Glenn's renditions of most of these songs surpasses any other versions I've heard. There was a discussion recently in some other thread that mentioned ‘velvet throat’. To me, Glenn’s voice is the epitome of ‘velvet throat’ because of its plush silky smooth quality. But, as great as I think Glenn’s vocals are on this album, I just personally prefer the other style of material that he has written and recorded. My apologies to those who disagree, but that’s just the way I roll. :wink: And now, here are the songs in the order that I like them using the same scale I always use in my reviews ...

I Love It (5)

The Shadow of Your Smile – I think I’m in the minority here, but this is my absolute favorite song on the album. As I’ve said before, everything about the song is so uber romantic and fits together so perfectly – the music, the lyrics, the melody, and the vocals … WOW! Just WOW! I have listened to just about every version of the song that is on YouTube and Glenn’s adaption is a cut above them all in my humble opinion. His irresistibly seductive voice is perfectly suited for this song, and the way he sings “a teardrop kissed your lips, and so did I” is nothing short of melt-worthy. And seeing him perform it live lifts it even a notch higher. It is simply exquisite.

After Hours – Whereas some rate this song as their favorite on this album, it is my second favorite, simply because it is so understated and doesn’t have the drama that TSOYS has. And I like drama in my songs. :wink: To me, most of the songs that Glenn has written in his career stand up very well against the songs on this album, and this is certainly no exception. I agree with Soda that the lyrics portray very evocative imagery. I've said before that it speaks volumes to me about the quality of Glenn’s songwriting ability that his song is considered by many to be among the best up against these other classic standards. That is particularly true, considering that this song is far from being my favorite in his solo catalog.

Worried Mind – As many of you know, I'm not a big fan of country music, but I think this is a really good song. In addition, it is one of the standouts on the album for me partly because it differs from the other songs stylistically. As I’ve said before, the song has a great melody and I love Glenn's vocals of course, but it is actually the superb instrumentation that sells it for me. Michael Thompson has many very fine moments on the CD, but his piano solo in the bridge of this song is one of the highlights of the entire CD for me - it is simply outstanding. The fiddle and steel guitar are fantastic as well.

For Sentimental Reasons – This is another gorgeous romantic song. I love the beginning how there is almost no music and that velvet voice starts with that three-letter word “I love you …”. Again, of all the versions of the songs that I’ve heard, I prefer Glenn’s the best, both musically and vocally. As VA says, he stays true to the original song, but the way he emotes, he owns it. I wish he’d sing this song to me cause I’d definitely believe him. :nod:

I Like It a Lot (4)

I Wanna Be Around – I don’t have much to add to what others have said, but I like this song a lot too. I love Soda’s characterization as “smoothly sung snark”. I also really love Glenn’s vocal cadence in the song. And as FP mentioned, the ending is great. Unlike most of the other songs though, this isn’t my favorite rendition of the song. I prefer Eydie Gorme’s energetic jazzy interpretation that I saw on YouTube. I wish Glenn had kicked it up a notch and given the song a bit more attitude as Eydie did. Even at that, it’s still a really good song though.

It’s Too Soon to Know – This song has grown on me probably more than any others. At first, I wasn’t very fond of it at all, but, once again, Glenn nails it vocally. I really like the chorus’ – they are very melodic, but I’m not crazy about the bridge with the background singers. Even though that was a sign of the times back in the day, it kind of puts a damper on it for me and keeps me from loving the song.

Same Girl – This is the other song on the album that has really grown on me. However, unlike FP, I don’t think of joy when I hear the song. The best way I can describe it is ‘hauntingly beautiful’. I also can’t really agree with Soda about the lyrics not fitting. I think of the lyrics, melody, and music as all being ‘hauntingly beautiful, which is why I think the song is so well-constructed. This continuity is what helps give the song its emotion and energy for me. And Glenn’s vocals vs. Randy’s vocals – no comparison AFAIC.

Route 66 – I agree with others that I have never really loved this song. However, I also agree that Glenn’s is one of the best renditions I’ve heard. Like FP, I love his phraseology with the words. I rate it higher than I would normally because I do think that it standouts on the album since it is the only uptempo tune and because I appreciate the cultural significance of the song.

I Like It (3)

The Look of Love – My description of Same Girl above is almost the polar opposite of this song. I don’t like the construction of this song. I love the chorus, but don’t really care for the melody in the verses at all. I also love the romantic lyrics, but the upbeat tempo doesn’t seem to fit the same mood that the lyrics convey. The whole song just seems to be disjointed to me. Sorry VA – I know how much you love this song, but it just doesn’t move me in the same way as it does you. I do agree that Glenn does nail the vocals though.

Here's to Life – I’m afraid I have to agree with Soda about this song. It just doesn’t rock my world. I find it way too slow, melancholy, and mundane to be such a supposed celebration of life. I think I could deal with the slow tempo if there was a more of a steady build in intensity throughout the song à la The Shadow of Your Smile instead of saving it all for the end. Given the song’s shortcomings though, Glenn’s vocals are amazing and he does his best to bring energy to the song. I do melt into thin air when I hear the “to dreamers and their dreams” line, as I think of him singing that to me. :blush: As FP and VA described, his vocal delivery is utterly perfect, exquisite, and any other similar adjective that you can come up with. :applause:

Caroline, No – It’s something about this song that just doesn’t grab me, and I’m not even sure I know what it is. I think it must be the falsetto or maybe the melody. I agree that with Soda that Glenn really sells the song and really throws himself into it. I think his vocals are great and his voice is very well-suited for the song. I also agree with FP that the music is beautifully arranged. But still – I’m not crazy about it even though I think I should be. Go figure ??? :headscratch: :confused: :shrug:

The Good Life – I’m really starting to repeat myself now. Again, great vocal, best version of the song I’ve heard, such passion. Still – the song just doesn’t do much for me.

My Buddy – I actually love the sentiment of this song. Other than that, see the comments above for The Good Life.

I'm Getting Old Before My Time (3) – Well I have to agree that the song’s lyric paint a picture, but not in a good way for me. I don’t like the image of old man Frey singing this song. I was about to say see the comments for The Good Life again, but I’ll use this space to summarize my feelings about this album. To me, many of these sound like the same song over and over – I just don’t think there is anything particularly unique or spectacular about them. I think I may prefer some of them better in isolation rather than listening to them all together because the stylistic differences between them are too subtle, not the blatant variety that I prefer.

And as a final side note, if Glenn wants to do another cover album of old standards, what about an album of Motown hits from his native hometown of Detroit? Now, that’s something I think I could get into if his rendition of My Girl is any indication. He could hit that out of the park, I’d bet.

5 - I love it
4 - I really like it
3 - I like it
2 - meh
1 – yikes

Glennhoney
05-11-2013, 09:56 PM
Well I managed to get my After Hours review finished, so here goes ...

In thinking about the After Hours album, I am reminded of something that the guys in the band always say that really rings true for me here. They always say when it’s all said and done, the Eagles’ huge and enduring success all comes down to one thing – it’s the songs.

So when I try to analyze how I feel about this album, I find that it boils down to that one thing for me – it’s the songs. Quite simply, this is my least favorite of all of Glenn’s solo albums because these are just not my types of songs. Now that doesn't mean that I don't think After Hours is a good album - as a matter of fact, I believe Glenn's renditions of most of these songs surpasses any other versions I've heard. There was a discussion recently in some other thread that mentioned ‘velvet throat’. To me, Glenn’s voice is the epitome of ‘velvet throat’ because of its plush silky smooth quality. But, as great as I think Glenn’s vocals are on this album, I just personally prefer the other style of material that he has written and recorded. My apologies to those who disagree, but that’s just the way I roll. :wink: And now, here are the songs in the order that I like them using the same scale I always use in my reviews ...

I Love It (5)

The Shadow of Your Smile – I think I’m in the minority here, but this is my absolute favorite song on the album. As I’ve said before, everything about the song is so uber romantic and fits together so perfectly – the music, the lyrics, the melody, and the vocals … WOW! Just WOW! I have listened to just about every version of the song that is on YouTube and Glenn’s adaption is a cut above them all in my humble opinion. His irresistibly seductive voice is perfectly suited for this song, and the way he sings “a teardrop kissed your lips, and so did I” is nothing short of melt-worthy. And seeing him perform it live lifts it even a notch higher. It is simply exquisite.

After Hours – Whereas some rate this song as their favorite on this album, it is my second favorite, simply because it is so understated and doesn’t have the drama that TSOYS has. And I like drama in my songs. :wink: To me, most of the songs that Glenn has written in his career stand up very well against the songs on this album, and this is certainly no exception. I agree with Soda that the lyrics portray very evocative imagery. I've said before that it speaks volumes to me about the quality of Glenn’s songwriting ability that his song is considered by many to be among the best up against these other classic standards. That is particularly true, considering that this song is far from being my favorite in his solo catalog.

Worried Mind – As many of you know, I'm not a big fan of country music, but I think this is a really good song. In addition, it is one of the standouts on the album for me partly because it differs from the other songs stylistically. As I’ve said before, the song has a great melody and I love Glenn's vocals of course, but it is actually the superb instrumentation that sells it for me. Michael Thompson has many very fine moments on the CD, but his piano solo in the bridge of this song is one of the highlights of the entire CD for me - it is simply outstanding. The fiddle and steel guitar are fantastic as well.

For Sentimental Reasons – This is another gorgeous romantic song. I love the beginning how there is almost no music and that velvet voice starts with that three-letter word “I love you …”. Again, of all the versions of the songs that I’ve heard, I prefer Glenn’s the best, both musically and vocally. As VA says, he stays true to the original song, but the way he emotes, he owns it. I wish he’d sing this song to me cause I’d definitely believe him. :nod:

I Like It a Lot (4)

I Wanna Be Around – I don’t have much to add to what others have said, but I like this song a lot too. I love Soda’s characterization as “smoothly sung snark”. I also really love Glenn’s vocal cadence in the song. And as FP mentioned, the ending is great. Unlike most of the other songs though, this isn’t my favorite rendition of the song. I prefer Eydie Gorme’s energetic jazzy interpretation that I saw on YouTube. I wish Glenn had kicked it up a notch and given the song a bit more attitude as Eydie did. Even at that, it’s still a really good song though.

It’s Too Soon to Know – This song has grown on me probably more than any others. At first, I wasn’t very fond of it at all, but, once again, Glenn nails it vocally. I really like the chorus’ – they are very melodic, but I’m not crazy about the bridge with the background singers. Even though that was a sign of the times back in the day, it kind of puts a damper on it for me and keeps me from loving the song.

Same Girl – This is the other song on the album that has really grown on me. However, unlike FP, I don’t think of joy when I hear the song. The best way I can describe it is ‘hauntingly beautiful’. I also can’t really agree with Soda about the lyrics not fitting. I think of the lyrics, melody, and music as all being ‘hauntingly beautiful, which is why I think the song is so well-constructed. This continuity is what helps give the song its emotion and energy for me. And Glenn’s vocals vs. Randy’s vocals – no comparison AFAIC.

Route 66 – I agree with others that I have never really loved this song. However, I also agree that Glenn’s is one of the best renditions I’ve heard. Like FP, I love his phraseology with the words. I rate it higher than I would normally because I do think that it standouts on the album since it is the only uptempo tune and because I appreciate the cultural significance of the song.

I Like It (3)

The Look of Love – My description of Same Girl above is almost the polar opposite of this song. I don’t like the construction of this song. I love the chorus, but don’t really care for the melody in the verses at all. I also love the romantic lyrics, but the upbeat tempo doesn’t seem to fit the same mood that the lyrics convey. The whole song just seems to be disjointed to me. Sorry VA – I know how much you love this song, but it just doesn’t move me in the same way as it does you. I do agree that Glenn does nail the vocals though.

Here's to Life – I’m afraid I have to agree with Soda about this song. It just doesn’t rock my world. I find it way too slow, melancholy, and mundane to be such a supposed celebration of life. I think I could deal with the slow tempo if there was a more of a steady build in intensity throughout the song à la The Shadow of Your Smile instead of saving it all for the end. Given the song’s shortcomings though, Glenn’s vocals are amazing and he does his best to bring energy to the song. I do melt into thin air when I hear the “to dreamers and their dreams” line, as I think of him singing that to me. :blush: As FP and VA described, his vocal delivery is utterly perfect, exquisite, and any other similar adjective that you can come up with. :applause:

Caroline, No – It’s something about this song that just doesn’t grab me, and I’m not even sure I know what it is. I think it must be the falsetto or maybe the melody. I agree that with Soda that Glenn really sells the song and really throws himself into it. I think his vocals are great and his voice is very well-suited for the song. I also agree with FP that the music is beautifully arranged. But still – I’m not crazy about it even though I think I should be. Go figure ??? :headscratch: :confused: :shrug:

The Good Life – I’m really starting to repeat myself now. Again, great vocal, best version of the song I’ve heard, such passion. Still – the song just doesn’t do much for me.

My Buddy – I actually love the sentiment of this song. Other than that, see the comments above for The Good Life.

I'm Getting Old Before My Time (3) – Well I have to agree that the song’s lyric paint a picture, but not in a good way for me. I don’t like the image of old man Frey singing this song. I was about to say see the comments for The Good Life again, but I’ll use this space to summarize my feelings about this album. To me, many of these sound like the same song over and over – I just don’t think there is anything particularly unique or spectacular about them. I think I may prefer some of them better in isolation rather than listening to them all together because the stylistic differences between them are too subtle, not the blatant variety that I prefer.

And as a final side note, if Glenn wants to do another cover album of old standards, what about an album of Motown hits from his native hometown of Detroit? Now, that’s something I think I could get into if his rendition of My Girl is any indication. He could hit that out of the park, I’d bet.

5 - I love it
4 - I really like it
3 - I like it
2 - meh
1 – yikes

This is pretty much what I would've written about the album...I think my absolute favorite is "For Sentimental Reasons" followed by After Hours..and I really like Worried Mind as well...and try as I may, Caroline No, just doesn't do it for me...but overall I really like the "feel" of this CD...and his voice just sends shivers down my spine..He's a much better singer than I ever thought he was..He's still got it..for sure!!!:thumbsup:

sodascouts
05-11-2013, 09:59 PM
Thanks for your detailed review, dreamer! I too would love to hear Glenn tackle Motown / R&B or maybe Beatles/60s stuff. His live covers of "My Girl" and "I Saw Her Standing There" bring the house down, just to name a couple examples.

WalshFan88
05-11-2013, 10:55 PM
Thanks for your detailed review, dreamer! I too would love to hear Glenn tackle Motown / R&B or maybe Beatles/60s stuff. His live covers of "My Girl" and "I Saw Her Standing There" bring the house down, just to name a couple examples.

Me too! Didn't know he did those. I said a while back I'd love to hear him cover My Girl. Also would love to hear him sing Just My Imagination or Ain't Too Proud To Beg. He did do Some Kind Of Wonderful which is very RnB influenced and I remember seeing that video on YouTube and he did a great job. That could go on the record too.

I think AH is a good record, albeit not my type of music at all. I have respect for any traditional music form, but it isn't my thing. I do like Route 66 a lot and it's definitely my fav from there. On the other hand, I'm a huge fan of Motown music and that's sort of odd for a diehard rocker but I love that stuff. Even Joe said a while back that his favorite guitar riff was the "My Girl" riff.

Freypower
05-11-2013, 11:40 PM
Dreamer, when I talked about Same Girl I said I would not try to convert others to its 'joys' meaning its strengths or power. At the time a lot of other people didn't seem to like it the way I did (remember it was voted off first in Survivor). It's an incredibly powerful performance. Seeing it live was a privilege & being acknowledged for my appreciation of Mr Newman was an honour.

I can't agree that Here's To Life is 'melancholy & mundane'. Not all celebrations of life have to be about having a party. I love the reflectiveness of it; I also love that I heard Glenn say that it described his own life. As for it not building in intensity - I could not disagree more. It's a slow burn.

This became my second favourite album very quickly. I now think that doing Motown would be too obvious. If he does this again I would like him to do more singer-songwriter type material with perhaps one or two Motown songs; not an entire album.

05-12-2013, 01:07 PM
I can't agree that Here's To Life is 'melancholy & mundane'. Not all celebrations of life have to be about having a party. I love the reflectiveness of it; I also love that I heard Glenn say that it described his own life. As for it not building in intensity - I could not disagree more. It's a slow burn.

FP, we just have to agree to disagree about Here's to Life. I appreciate that you love it, but it strikes me as having a melancholy and mundane tone. I didn't say a celebration of life needed to be a party or a romp. However, when I listen to the song, I think 'Geez, if this is as much excitement and energy as you can muster up about your life, dude, then that's pretty sad.' I get the song, but it's reflectiveness doesn't move me the way it does you. It's possible I would have appreciated it a little more if I had seen it performed live, but even then, I doubt that I would love it. Besides, I tried to keep my review about the songs on the album, not the live performances. Oh well, different strokes.

This became my second favourite album very quickly. I now think that doing Motown would be too obvious. If he does this again I would like him to do more singer-songwriter type material with perhaps one or two Motown songs; not an entire album.

Again - to each their own. I would absolutely love to see him do Motown. I'm not sure exactly why it would be too obvious or even if it matters, but I think he would totally nail those songs. Besides, paying homage to his hometown would be really cool IMO.

Glennhoney
05-12-2013, 02:44 PM
FP, we just have to agree to disagree about Here's to Life. I appreciate that you love it, but it strikes me as having a melancholy and mundane tone. I didn't say a celebration of life needed to be a party or a romp. However, when I listen to the song, I think 'Geez, if this is as much excitement and energy as you can muster up about your life, dude, then that's pretty sad.' I get the song, but it's reflectiveness doesn't move me the way it does you. It's possible I would have appreciated it a little more if I had seen it performed live, but even then, I doubt that I would love it. Besides, I tried to keep my review about the songs on the album, not the live performances. Oh well, different strokes.

Again - to each their own. I would absolutely love to see him do Motown. I'm not sure exactly why it would be too obvious or even if it matters, but I think he would totally nail those songs. Besides, paying homage to his hometown would be really cool IMO.

I would LOVE for him to record "MY GIRL"..I think he does it beautifully..

Freypower
05-12-2013, 07:05 PM

Here's To Life was my favourite song on the album before I saw it performed live but I did think the live performances added an extra dimension. I do understand that you were doing a review for the first time so you wanted to confine it to the studio versions, which is fair enough, but as I already had done that, I now feel free to discuss how I feel about the live versions. I feel differently about FSR now that I have seen it live, for instance. I listen to the studio version with more appreciation.

I guess I don't understand why you think HTL needed to have 'excitement and energy'. It's like a soliloquy. That's the last I will say about it.

sodascouts
05-12-2013, 07:27 PM
Seeing "Here's to Life" live gave me a whole new appreciation for the song, because Glenn sold it HARD! I was blown away. That said, I still can't get into the album version.

Dreamer never declared no one could talk about live performances, FP. She simply said SHE didn't consider it.

We all have different perspectives and there's certainly no reason to get agitated or defensive if someone doesn't feel the same way you do, or use the same criteria you do to evaluate songs.

Freypower
05-12-2013, 07:29 PM
Seeing "Here's to Life" live gave me a whole new appreciation for the song, because Glenn sold it HARD! I was blown away. That said, I still can't get into the album version.

Dreamer never declared no one could talk about live performances, FP. She simply said SHE didn't consider it.

We all have different perspectives and there's certainly no reason to get agitated or defensive if someone doesn't feel the same way you do, or use the same criteria you do to evaluate songs.

I've edited that; see above.

Brooke
05-13-2013, 03:07 PM
There was a discussion recently in some other thread that mentioned ‘velvet throat’. To me, Glenn’s voice is the epitome of ‘velvet throat’ because of its plush silky smooth quality.

I think 'velvet throat' describes Glenn's voice perfectly too! I've always thought Glenn's voice was sweet, soft, and smooth, so 'velvet' certainly goes along with that. (Velvet can be sweet can't it? lol)

I think wherever it was used they were describing Don's voice, but to me his is 'rough, raspy, and very sexy'. And I love it, but it's not smooth. To me anyway.

Great reviews everyone!

05-13-2013, 09:57 PM
ITA with you here, Brooke about Don's voice. As uber sexy, wonderful, and amazing as his voice is, I actually don't think of it as smooth and velvety either.

chaim
03-11-2014, 04:53 PM
I haven't heard this album of Glenn's, but I'm a huge Randy Newman fan. I think Randy has captured real sadness in this song. The helpless people on the streets who have no control of their lives deserve a voice. You could take this song in two ways. It's either

a) an asshole singing to the girl he's selling around, OR

b) a song about two people on the streets who really ARE in love, but have no other way to survive but to have the girl have sex with paying customers. I don't know what Randy meant, but I know that he's a person who really cares about people. So another interpretation of the song is that the guy is telling the girl: "I love you baby, and I'm sorry for this crap you have to go through. But soon we will have enough money to start a new, better life together".

Either way, Randy is on the girl's side, that's for sure. It's a tragic song and it breaks my heart.

Freypower
03-11-2014, 05:08 PM
I haven't heard this album of Glenn's, but I'm a huge Randy Newman fan. I think Randy has captured real sadness in this song, once again. The helpless people on the streets who have no control of their lives deserve a voice. You could take this song in two ways. It's either

a) an asshole singing to the girl he's selling around, OR

b) a song about two people on the streets who really ARE in love, but have no other way to survive but to have the girl have sex with paying customers. I don't know what Randy meant, but I know that he's a person who really cares about people. So another interpretation of the song is that the guy is telling the girl: "I love you baby, and I'm sorry for this crap you have to go through. But soon we will have enough money to start a new, better life together".

Either way, Randy is on the girl's side, that's for sure. It's a tragic song and it breaks my heart.

Mine as well. PLEASE, chaim, PLEASE listen to Glenn's version of the song. He really makes you feel for the people involved. It is my second favourite track on this album after Here's To Life.

chaim
03-11-2014, 05:11 PM
Mine as well. PLEASE, chaim, PLEASE listen to Glenn's version of the song. He really makes you feel for the people involved. It is my second favourite track on this album after Here's To Life.

I tried to find this song, but it isn't on YouTube. Sooner or later I will get all the Glenn stuff, but because this album is not in stores here in Finland, I must order it at some point. I'm very much looking forward to hearing it, but I must say that I consider Glenn very much a writer, so I'm not as interested in hearing him sing songs by other people.

Freypower
03-11-2014, 05:14 PM
He's a great interpreter as well. He has sung a lot of songs he hasn't written during his career, although the Jack Tempchin ones he would probably regard as being almost his own songs.

Some of the singing he does on this album takes fans like me to new places; I Wanna Be Around, for instance. It's the type of song I would have associated more with Don. Here's To Life takes you on a journey. When you see him sing these songs live it is a very special experience.

shunlvswx
03-11-2014, 09:25 PM
I listen to IHeart Radio every day and they play a few songs from After Hours. They play For Sentimental Reasons, The Look Of Love, and The Shadow Of Your Smile. I'm starting to like those songs especially For Sentimental Reasons and The Shadow Of Your Smile. Glenn just sound so different on this album, but I'm going to try to listen to the album again.

Glennsallnighter
03-13-2014, 05:00 PM
I tried to find this song, but it isn't on YouTube. Sooner or later I will get all the Glenn stuff, but because this album is not in stores here in Finland, I must order it at some point. I'm very much looking forward to hearing it, but I must say that I consider Glenn very much a writer, so I'm not as interested in hearing him sing songs by other people.

Amazon and eBay both have it on sale. Well worth buying.

DJ
03-15-2014, 01:28 AM
I just heard one tune from this album and am seriously thinking of buying it. Although Randy is my favorite singer I do enjoy Glenn's voice a lot. When he sings 'I'm headed home from your place" in Ol55 it just gets me to the core! Something in his voice is very soulful and erotic... Best have a drink to cool off.. :soda:Anyhow that is why I think I'd enjoy After hours cd.

VAisForEagleLovers
03-15-2014, 09:59 AM
I should have listened to this album last night, it would have put me in a better mood! I know I often post about shallow things...how good he looks, his perfect behind, his sexy neck... OK, I'll stop. Anyway, while I very much appreciate his songwriting skills, it really always has been his voice that drew me to him. We discussed in another thread about how his voice has matured and while he doesn't have the range he had as a younger man, the quality of his voice has gotten better. This album, in my opinion, showcases his voice, which is one reason I love it. I like this genre, so I like the songs as well. It's his voice, though, that keeps me listening to it so often. Listening to this album with a glass of red works like a backrub for me, and the tensions of the day disappear. At least until the album is over and the glass is empty...

GlennLover
03-15-2014, 12:09 PM
I should have listened to this album last night, it would have put me in a better mood! I know I often post about shallow things...how good he looks, his perfect behind, his sexy neck... OK, I'll stop. Anyway, while I very much appreciate his songwriting skills, it really always has been his voice that drew me to him. We discussed in another thread about how his voice has matured and while he doesn't have the range he had as a younger man, the quality of his voice has gotten better. This album, in my opinion, showcases his voice, which is one reason I love it. I like this genre, so I like the songs as well. It's his voice, though, that keeps me listening to it so often. Listening to this album with a glass of red works like a backrub for me, and the tensions of the day disappear. At least until the album is over and the glass is empty...

The album releases the days tensions for me too, VA, even without the glass of wine. I often listen to it before I go to sleep at night.

03-15-2014, 03:55 PM
I have a little bit of a different take on After Hours because these type of songs are not my favorite genre. However, I still find it very enjoyable to listen to. I can agree with VA and GL that Glenn's vocals are absolutely exquisite on this album. I would also say that his version of most of these songs is the best I've ever heard. So, it's definitely worthy of getting some play time in my CD player even if it's not my favorite. :thumbsup:

Freypower
03-15-2014, 08:34 PM

Agreed.

I love listening to him breathing before he sings a phrase. Then I love listening to the nuances he gets out of each word & the way he puts his own 'take' on each lyric.

I love everything about it & I recommend it to those like DJ who don't know so much of his solo work.

Glennsallnighter
03-15-2014, 08:48 PM
The atmosphere in the school where I work is very tense and highly charged as well as being incredibly noisy. I come out with my head literally spinning. It is lovely for me to slide 'After Hours' into my CD player in the car and listen to the lovely mellow relaxing sound of both Glenn :heart:'s voice and the music. I need that 40 mins or so with him every day, or my head would literally explode!!

Obviously as I'm driving the red wine (or any wine) is out!!!

VAisForEagleLovers
03-15-2014, 10:18 PM
Obviously as I'm driving the red wine (or any wine) is out!!!

I thought about that after I posted, I used to listen to it as I'm driving home from work, but my MP3 player has a 'corrupted' spot on it and I haven't replaced it yet. I have it on my phone, I guess I could play it via Bluetooth since I'm obviously too lazy to shop for a new MP3 player. (I keep an Eagles CD in the CD player at all times, usually LROOE, Disc #1, so I can listen to WDIDWMH 4 times in a row).

Houston Baby
03-16-2014, 12:04 AM
Thank goodness I can listen to music at work! I listen to 'After Hours' there and stop the tension before it starts! I think Glenn's voice was made for these songs, he did a masterful job of picking them for this cd. :thumbsup:

sodascouts
03-16-2014, 01:14 AM
With my parents visiting this week (they are in their 70s), I played After Hours in the car like three times... it is their favorite Glenn Frey album!

Houston Baby
03-16-2014, 01:32 AM
That's a WIN/WIN Soda!! :thumbsup:

Tiffanny Twisted
03-16-2014, 09:38 AM
wish I could listen at work...:worried:

Then my job wouldn't be so stressful ....

shunlvswx
05-08-2014, 10:40 AM
Happy 2nd Birthday to After Hours.

This album has actually grown on me. Half of the songs from the album is played on IHeart Radio and Pandora. I enjoyed the album.

UndertheWire
05-08-2014, 12:23 PM
Happy Birthday!

When I can't sleep at night, I put this on. Usually I'll be asleep within a few songs but if not, it's almost a treat to lie there in the dark with no distractions.

My favourite is "Here's to Life". I can't explain why. Least favourite, "Worried Mind" because it's too "country". I also love "Same Girl" - even bad guys can love and there's nothing better than a haunting love song. A few of the songs remind me a little too much of my parent's easy listening days but I still get lost in the vocals.

Brooke
05-08-2014, 01:24 PM
Happy Birthday to After Hours!

I haven't listened for a while, must do! Wonder when Glenn will think about another album like this?

sodascouts
05-08-2014, 03:52 PM
By far my fave is the title track. I'm grateful Glenn put this out, but I greedily want another album that's mostly, if not exclusively, original material.

Still, again, it was so wonderful that we got a new album, and I say HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

Glennsallnighter
05-08-2014, 04:20 PM
Happy Birthday to 'After Hours'. It's an album that I never tire of and play very regularly. Obviously it has been in my car stereo all day today. I love the title track best, followed by 'For Sentimental Reasons', then 'The Shadow of your Smile', but really I love all the tracks. Depends too on the mood I'm in. I often listen to it going to sleep too.

Thank you Glenn :heart: for all the joy this cd has brought me

And just reminiscing on my trip to see Glenn :heart: 's After Hours show in LA,

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t236/Irisheaglesfan/Glenn%20Frey%20LA%202012/003.jpg (http://s161.photobucket.com/user/Irisheaglesfan/media/Glenn%20Frey%20LA%202012/003.jpg.html)

Freypower
05-08-2014, 06:28 PM
I love it with a passion. I might write more later on.

sodascouts
05-08-2014, 09:35 PM
Happy Birthday to 'After Hours'. It's an album that I never tire of and play very regularly. Obviously it has been in my car stereo all day today. I love the title track best, followed by 'For Sentimental Reasons', then 'The Shadow of your Smile', but really I love all the tracks. Depends too on the mood I'm in. I often listen to it going to sleep too.

Thank you Glenn :heart: for all the joy this cd has brought me

And just reminiscing on my trip to see Glenn :heart: 's After Hours show in LA,

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t236/Irisheaglesfan/Glenn%20Frey%20LA%202012/003.jpg (http://s161.photobucket.com/user/Irisheaglesfan/media/Glenn%20Frey%20LA%202012/003.jpg.html)

Oh gosh, I'm so glad I decided to do that LA trip with you and FP! What fun we had!

I wonder when he'll do more solo shows... even just a standalone gig in Niagara Falls or a casino... I'll take what I can get.

VAisForEagleLovers
05-08-2014, 09:43 PM
Happy birthday to a fantastic album! I love this album and listen to it often. I didn't get a chance to today, but I'll most likely listen to it tomorrow afternoon. I usually do on Friday afternoons to help try to put the week behind me.

GlennLover
05-08-2014, 10:08 PM
I love it with a passion too, FP! I usually listen to at least one song from it every day and usually more than one. I have been so busy I didn't even realize it was May 8th & I haven't listened to it today. As I often listen when I go to bed, I must turn in & listen while it is still the 8th. It's 11:00PM here.

BTW, my favourite is "After Hours" probably followed by "Here's To Life". The high note on the first "to dreamers & their dreams" still sends thrills down my spine. Like GA, it depends on my mood as to the order in which I rate the others songs.

sodascouts
05-08-2014, 10:12 PM
I think my second favorite is "The Shadow of Your Smile." When he sings, "A teardrop kissed your lips... and so did I" I just MELT!

GlennLover
05-08-2014, 10:18 PM
I think my second favorite is "The Shadow of Your Smile." When he sings, "A teardrop kissed your lips... and so did I" I just MELT!

I love that line too!

GoranV
05-09-2014, 08:05 AM
I envy you. I haven't listened that album. Only a little part of "after hour" song. The voice of Glenn seems deeper to me and it's really good!. I'll try to get it on Amazon. Happy Birthaty!!!!:thumbsup:

Freypower
05-09-2014, 06:49 PM
I could write about this album all day. I know a lot of people wish he had done original material or not gone down this path but I love to hear him sing like this (and perform like this). I could listen to the end of I Wanna Be Around forever. The song is a slow burn & then you get that devastating payoff at the end. As for Same Girl in my view it ranks with the finest vocals he has ever done. I was so glad I was able to communicate to him that I love Randy Newman's work too.

My only criticism of it is that some of the lyrics are somewhat dated. This is true for My Buddy & I'm Getting Old Before My Time; but they are old songs. It was a brave move for him not to choose more well known songs from this era.

The parts of it when you can hear him taking breaths between notes... SIGH. :blush::thud::inlove:

GlennLover
05-09-2014, 10:45 PM
Every time I listen to any part of the album i think to myself how beautiful his voice is singing these songs! :sigh:

WalshFan88
05-09-2014, 11:08 PM
Happy Anniversary After Hours!

Not my kind of music but I appreciate it and am glad he released it.

05-10-2014, 11:11 PM
I'm a little late here, but I want to add my sentiments here ...

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY AFTER HOURS!!!

I had The Confessor in my car CD player earlier in the week celebrating its anniversary, but have now switched to After Hours for the last several days. I've been having fun reminiscing about the East Coat After Hours road trip that several of us Borderers took around this time two years ago. What a fun time that was!!! :partytime:

sodascouts
05-11-2014, 12:06 AM
Yes, it was a blast! Happy memories!

SilverAcidRayne
04-13-2015, 09:37 PM
i found the right thread this time... lol

i want to thank whoever mentioned this album to me I LOVE IT. it's so jazzy and soothing. he's definitely in his element with this one.

VAisForEagleLovers
04-14-2015, 07:25 AM
I'm so glad you like it! I love it and listen to it often. Wow, it's coming up on three years since it was released.

The nice thing about searching for specific threads is that you often find other threads that are interesting, too!

SilverAcidRayne
04-14-2015, 02:17 PM
I'm so glad you like it! I love it and listen to it often. Wow, it's coming up on three years since it was released.

The nice thing about searching for specific threads is that you often find other threads that are interesting, too!

yeah... i was in love with his voice man... i didnt know he had that much power. definitely got my respect. "The Look of Love" is a all time favorite of mine and it's been done by everybody and i was so happy to hear him do it. listening to it again definitely :):)

and i admit i have a lot of searching to do on this site. many threads to see :partytime:

Glennsallnighter
04-14-2015, 02:21 PM
I can't believe either that its 3 years since 'After Hours' was released. I still consider it to be a 'new' album. I guess it WILL be new until Glenn :heart: releases another one!

Its also almost 3 years since Glenn :heart:'s 'After Hours' tours dates in the USA - i know he went to Australia two years ago. Surely its time for another solo show some time soon! PLEASE........... :pray:

SilverAcidRayne
04-14-2015, 02:27 PM
3 years... its definitely new to me and he does NOT sound like he's in his 60s. i totally hear a young Glenn. I adore him i do:)

GlennLover
04-14-2015, 02:48 PM
He has said that he wants to do After Hours 2, but with HOTE documentary, touring & possibly working on a Hotel California musical would he have time?

Freypower
04-14-2015, 08:02 PM
I can't believe either that its 3 years since 'After Hours' was released. I still consider it to be a 'new' album. I guess it WILL be new until Glenn :heart: releases another one!

Its also almost 3 years since Glenn :heart:'s 'After Hours' tours dates in the USA - i know he went to Australia two years ago. Surely its time for another solo show some time soon! PLEASE........... :pray:

I still consider it 'new' as well. I love it & wish I could think of something else to say about it.

The Australian shows were absolute high points in my Eagles fandom. They were something else.

I would rather he did After Hours II than anything else at the moment.

sodascouts
04-17-2015, 01:21 AM
I would rather he do his own material than another covers album, or that he did covers from a different genre, but I'll take what I can get!

I'd rather get a new album than another show, as much as I love to see him live. Unlike concerts, albums last forever.

Funk 50
04-17-2015, 06:16 AM
I'd be happy with After Hours II. Judging by his Long Road Out Of Eden songs. A new album of Frey tunes would sound more like his first three albums than his, more eclectic Strange Weather album.

I like all his albums but, if his voice can still handle it, something like Strange Weather would be my first choice, followed by After Hours II. I think McCartney's My Valentine sounds more like a Frey song than a Macca song.

UndertheWire
04-17-2015, 01:08 PM
I'd rather get a new album than another show, as much as I love to see him live. Unlike concerts, albums last forever.
This, and also albums are a lot cheaper and can be delivered to my door.

At this point, I'd prefer a solo effort from Glenn to a new album from the Eagles and I don't care which genre it is. I listen to After Hours when I need to wind down and the others when I'm in the car.

Glennsallnighter
04-18-2015, 03:24 PM
I love 'After Hours' when I want to unwind too. Its so relaxing - his voice is like melted honey!

GlennLover
04-19-2015, 12:13 AM
I love 'After Hours' when I want to unwind too. Its so relaxing - his voice is like melted honey!

Lovely way to describe his voice! That's so true!

04-19-2015, 01:23 PM
I would rather he do his own material than another covers album, or that he did covers from a different genre, but I'll take what I can get!

ITA with you about this, Soda. If we can't get new original material from him, which would be my first choice, I'd still love to hear the lad from Motown cover some Motown! :thumbsup:

Freypower
04-19-2015, 07:44 PM
ITA with you about this, Soda. If we can't get new original material from him, which would be my first choice, I'd still love to hear the lad from Motown cover some Motown! :thumbsup:

It wouldn't be my choice. Phil Collins already did a Motown covers album. I think it would be too obvious. I would rather he did more contemporary singer songwriters which would enable him to steer away from only ever doing love songs.

Funk 50
04-20-2015, 07:03 AM
I'd still love to hear the lad from Motown cover some Motown! :thumbsup:

I'd love to hear Glenn do a Motown album too. Particularly if he adds a track of his own as he did with After Hours. I love the Phil Collins Motown album, recorded with the Funk Brothers. Its one of his best albums, after a few mediocre efforts.

DJ
04-23-2015, 10:20 PM
Gotta admit do love After Hours. Glenn done good! :thumbsup:

VAisForEagleLovers
05-08-2015, 07:25 AM
Three years ago today!!!! Wow, the time flies! I still love this album and listen to it often. I've made no secret that I love the sound of Glenn's voice, and this style of music shows off his incredible voice to perfection.

GlennLover
05-08-2015, 08:02 AM
Three years ago today!!!! Wow, the time flies! I still love this album and listen to it often. I've made no secret that I love the sound of Glenn's voice, and this style of music shows off his incredible voice to perfection.

All of this statement is true for me too! Absolutely love this album!

Glennsallnighter
05-08-2015, 08:04 AM
HAPPY 3rd BIRTHDAY TO AFTER HOURS

It's still one of my favourite albums and I never tire of listening to it. It also brings back memories of my wonderful trip to LA 3 years ago. I'd love to see Glenn :heart: release more music along the same vein. It's a real stress buster. Great to listen to any time but particularly after a demanding stressful day on the way home from work or later on in the evening. Glenn:heart:'s voice is like melted chocolate.

UndertheWire
05-08-2015, 09:48 AM
Melted chocolate or melted honey? I like both but I'd give the edge to the chocolate - sweet and smooth but with a bit of a kick (organic, Fairtrade 37% milk chocolate rather than 70% plain).

After three years, shouldn't it have a younger sibling?

Brooke
05-08-2015, 10:00 AM
It certainly should!

I thoroughly enjoy this album, but would really prefer a little more rock from Glenn.

VAisForEagleLovers
05-08-2015, 11:01 AM
I'll give the nod to the melted chocolate, but with a bit of liqueur as well. That something extra that makes me feel like I'm floating in a happy place.

Houston Baby
05-08-2015, 11:49 AM
Happy Birthday "AFTER HOURS"!!

I also :heart: LOVE :heart: this album! Glenn's voice is amazing! I compare it to butter, so smooth but I like GA's melted chocolate (sweetness) and also VA's liqueur (the kick).

After three years, shouldn't it have a younger sibling? I TOTALLY agree UTW!!

Glennsallnighter
05-08-2015, 05:08 PM
I agree with UTW as well! Time for a sister!!

Freypower
05-08-2015, 06:23 PM
Still love it & will never tire of it. Velvet Throat strikes again.

sodascouts
05-08-2015, 10:17 PM
So grateful that he released this - it really is a gift to fans. Can't believe it's been three years!

05-08-2015, 11:01 PM
HAPPY ANNIVERSARY AFTER HOURS!!!

I would agree with all the adjectives used to describe Glenn's voice on this CD. It is simply exquisite! I'll have to give it a listen this weekend. And WOW! What a fun time we had on our After Hour mini concert tour!

shunlvswx
05-08-2015, 11:46 PM
Happy 3rd Birthday to After Hours.

VAisForEagleLovers
05-09-2015, 01:35 AM
Listened to it twice on the drive to PA tonight!

Houston Baby
05-09-2015, 07:15 PM
Listened to it twice on the drive to PA tonight!

Bet that made for a pleasant and fast drive!

UndertheWire
05-11-2015, 04:22 AM
I revisted some reviews and I like this one. It's a mixed review but thoughtful, explaining what works for the writer and what doesn't. I may not feel the same about it all, but it gets me thinking and listening more carefully.

http://www.tunetribune.com/2012/05/19/review-freys-after-hours/

VAisForEagleLovers
05-11-2015, 08:48 AM
Thank you, UTW! I don't remember this review, so it was a good read. I especially like the very last line. It would be very welcome indeed.

His appeal is in injecting a taste of rural authenticity into mostly stoic readings of simpler, heartfelt songs from the heartland. The ones on After Hours that fit that description are beautifully done. A sequel full of those would be welcome.

Freypower
05-11-2015, 05:46 PM
But the 'rural authenticity' part is puzzling. Glenn is a city boy & always has been so it seemed natural to me that he'd want to do a couple of those loungey, supper club numbers which receive the most criticism. I actually thought he gave his best performances on those songs rather than more obvious tracks like Worried Mind. The part about his pronunciation of certain words such as 'my' and 'your' has merit, I suppose. Ultimately however he couldn't sound like anyone except himself. Another correction is that this album preceded McCartney's effort (which I never bought because I hated the title).

VAisForEagleLovers
05-11-2015, 06:10 PM
Glenn goes back and forth on the accent he uses. Sometimes it's a mid-western twang and there's times he can sound Southern or 'rural'. Other times he has no accent at all. In some of these songs, he uses the same pronunciations that the original singer used. This reviewer thinks that Streisand was 'the one' to sing Here's To Life, so he obviously did a YouTube search as his background information and went no further.

McCartney's album was released here in the US on 2/14/12, before Glenn's.

Freypower
05-11-2015, 06:20 PM
OK, thanks. I could have sworn McCartney's album came out later.

VAisForEagleLovers
05-11-2015, 08:16 PM
No, I remember wondering if Glenn was deliberately late with his so they wouldn't come out near the same time, and Glenn had said Feb. back during the solo shows in August, I think. I wasn't at those shows :-(

I'm not positive McCartney's was 2/14. It was whatever Tuesday was closest to Valentine's Day.

Glennsallnighter
05-12-2015, 03:04 PM
He mentioned February alright in Niagara Falls as a release date.

Funk 50
05-13-2015, 05:15 AM
I've got to say I love After Hours. The songs, the arrangements and Glenn's voice are all impeccable but it has somehow stopped me listening to Glenn's earlier material.

I didn't realise it until I pulled out a few early Frey solo tracks to add to my playlist and realised I hadn't listened to them in years.

I'm so pleased the title track finally got an official release. After Hours has always been one of my favourite Frey/Tempchin tracks.

UndertheWire
05-13-2015, 11:11 AM
In one of the promotional interviews, Glenn mentioned Sam Cooke and he included a song called "I'll Come Running Back to You" in his 2006 tour. I'm guessing this was a contender for After Hours:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yAvJ6cxMrg0

sodascouts
05-13-2015, 11:20 AM
In one of the promotional interviews, Glenn mentioned Sam Cooke and he included a song called "I'll Come Running Back to You" in his 2006 tour. I'm guessing this was a contender for After Hours:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yAvJ6cxMrg0

I hadn't realized that. Ooh, I wish he had done that one! Maybe he could have gotten rid of "I'm Getting Old Before My Time" which doesn't really work for a man lyrically - not to stereotype or anything, but the man is supposed to be shelling out for the engagement ring. The idea that a man would ask a woman to buy him one "for a dime" rather than buying it himself could be done satirically, but he's singing it straight, so... it never worked for me, despite a nice melody. (What can I say, I analyze lyrics like I do literature; it's my way, lol).

The best song on that album is the Frey/Tempchin title track. So moving, such elegant simplicity, such beauty, such emotion.... I adore it.

Funk 50
05-13-2015, 12:35 PM
Thanks for posting "I'll Come Running Back to You" UndertheWire. I can definitely hear Glenn singing that. Maybe it'll turn up on After Hours II if it ever come out. Glenn's pretty good at pickin' out tunes to cover.

Some tracks work better than others on After Hours but they're all very listenable and all stronger than I Love To Watch A Woman Dance imho.

Not quite sure what the Eagles saw in I Love To Watch A Woman Dance when there are so many wonderful tracks, such as I'll Come running Back To You that they could have covered instead.

Actually, if Glenn was singing it in 2006, it could be a Long Road Out Of Eden reject.

Freypower
05-13-2015, 06:33 PM
I saw him do I'll Come Running Back To You at Niagara Falls in 2011 & there was no suggestion that he considered including it on After Hours. I don't think it would have fit the mood of the album. I wish I had a recording of it. Near the end he sings something about being in London, England, Niagara Falls, and wanting to come running back etc. I was delighted by the London reference. The song would also not have worked on LROOE, whereas ILTWAWD did, in my view, despite the widespread dislike for it. So again, I don't believe he considered it for LROOE either.

AlreadyGone95
05-21-2015, 06:43 PM
I plan on giving this album a listen to tomorrow. I just discovered that it was available on Spotify for listening. (I thought that only his older albums were available). The only ones that I am familiar with are Sentimental Reasons (thanks to a M*A*S*H episode where Col. Potter is obsessed with that song) and Route 66 (my mom showed me it when the movie Cars came out). I find it hard to get into music that was made before the mid 60s (British invasion and the folk rock scene in California), but I'm curious as to what it sounds like.

AlreadyGone95
05-22-2015, 02:58 PM
Well, I just finished listening to this album. As I figured, it's really not my kind of music. I just can't get into the piano heavy, jazzy stuff. I respect that he made this album, and his reasons why, but it's just not for me. The only exception is Route 66. I liked his version alot. It has a much different tempo than the other songs, which I find very enjoyable. Isn't there a music video for the song? The title track is also pretty good. Those 2 are the keepers for me.

I agree that I would love to hear do a motown album. While it's not something that I listen to daily, I love the 60s motown when I'm in the right mood,

Freypower
05-22-2015, 06:14 PM
Well, I just finished listening to this album. As I figured, it's really not my kind of music. I just can't get into the piano heavy, jazzy stuff. I respect that he made this album, and his reasons why, but it's just not for me. The only exception is Route 66. I liked his version alot. It has a much different tempo than the other songs, which I find very enjoyable. Isn't there a music video for the song? The title track is also pretty good. Those 2 are the keepers for me.

I agree that I would love to hear do a motown album. While it's not something that I listen to daily, I love the 60s motown when I'm in the right mood,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WsnQKSIshNQ

You can find more of Glenn's videos in this thread:

https://eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/showthread.php?t=152

AlreadyGone95
05-22-2015, 06:26 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WsnQKSIshNQ

You can find more of Glenn's videos in this thread:

https://eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/showthread.php?t=152

Thanks FP!

Tiffanny Twisted
05-26-2015, 07:40 PM
Well having seen him do this live , I respect the man . I
respect his talent and his ability to do things outside the box or his comfort zone.

The music is beautiful ,
and he did it as a gift to his mother .
I'm so Glad he did it before she passed.

As hh says "that man could sing the phone book and id pay to hear him do it

VAisForEagleLovers
06-12-2015, 07:01 PM
I was talking to Soda about other things yesterday, and happened to mention a song on this album, My Buddy. I believe I mentioned the story elsewhere in this thread, and I had a dream about it later, and documented that in the Dream thread. To quickly sum it up, as I listened to After Hours for the first time and this song came on, it brought back a memory of my grandfather and I, when he sang this song to me. He would have been close to 60, and I was little more than a toddler, 3 or 4 years old. My grandfather had a massive stroke when he was 62 and couldn't sing after that, and my memories of him singing are few. In the dream I had later, my grandfather and I were on the porch and he was about the age he was then, and I was about the age I am now. My mother put After Hours in a boom box on the porch, and Pappap and I were sitting on a step he always liked to sit on. He put his arm around me and sang My Buddy with Glenn, I could hear both voices and they blended beautifully. Telling it to Soda in more detail brought tears to my eyes, and so today after work, I had to listen to it again. It felt like my grandfather was there in the truck with me.

I'm just so happy that Glenn put out this album for a lot of reasons, but the fact he happened to include that song and it brought back a memory so sweet for me makes it all so much better.

Funk 50
06-13-2015, 04:45 AM
Thanks for sharing that VA. If ever you get to meet Glenn, I'm sure he'd love to hear that story, while the rest of us remain tongue tied, determined not to say something embarrassing.

VAisForEagleLovers
06-13-2015, 08:32 AM
Believe me, if I ever get to meet Glenn, every thought in my head would leave and I'd definitely be tongue tied! Meeting him would be too awesome for words, but I think he'd have to do most of the talking!

sodascouts
06-13-2015, 08:34 PM
Such a moving story!

Brooke
06-15-2015, 11:20 AM
I was talking to Soda about other things yesterday, and happened to mention a song on this album, My Buddy. I believe I mentioned the story elsewhere in this thread, and I had a dream about it later, and documented that in the Dream thread. To quickly sum it up, as I listened to After Hours for the first time and this song came on, it brought back a memory of my grandfather and I, when he sang this song to me. He would have been close to 60, and I was little more than a toddler, 3 or 4 years old. My grandfather had a massive stroke when he was 62 and couldn't sing after that, and my memories of him singing are few. In the dream I had later, my grandfather and I were on the porch and he was about the age he was then, and I was about the age I am now. My mother put After Hours in a boom box on the porch, and Pappap and I were sitting on a step he always liked to sit on. He put his arm around me and sang My Buddy with Glenn, I could hear both voices and they blended beautifully. Telling it to Soda in more detail brought tears to my eyes, and so today after work, I had to listen to it again. It felt like my grandfather was there in the truck with me.

I'm just so happy that Glenn put out this album for a lot of reasons, but the fact he happened to include that song and it brought back a memory so sweet for me makes it all so much better.

Oh my, VA, such a sweet story! I have tears in my eyes right now reading about it.

VAisForEagleLovers
06-15-2015, 11:23 AM
Thanks, Brooke. When I was born, my mother, father, and I lived with my grandparents. Then mom and dad bought a farm a few miles away, and we were either visiting or they were babysitting me. My grandfather missed having me around all the time, so that's why he was singing it to me. So the other day, after writing this, I put the song on again and sang it for my grandfather.

Brooke
06-15-2015, 02:13 PM
Such a lovely memory, VA! :heart:

cynd1231
07-24-2015, 09:29 AM
These may be here somewhere already...a couple of older interview clips from the After Hours era. My apologies if these are duplicates that were posted at the time of the release.

http://www.whio.com/s/entertainment/music/the-eagles/ (http://www.whio.com/s/entertainment/music/the-eagles/)

http://www.whio.com/s/entertainment/music/the-eagles/ (http://www.whio.com/s/entertainment/music/the-eagles/)

AlreadyGone95
07-24-2015, 12:41 PM
Maybe it's because I'm on my phone, but when I click on any of the links, it takes me to a slide show of the Eagles concert in Nov. 2013
:headscratch:

UndertheWire
07-24-2015, 05:06 PM
I got the slideshow, too. However, now I knew what to look for, I found

http://www.whio.com/videos/entertainment/eagles-glenn-frey-dips-into-american-songbook/vCHd88/

and I haven't seen it before - I'd have remembered the suit.

AlreadyGone95
07-24-2015, 05:56 PM

http://www.whio.com/videos/entertainment/eagles-glenn-frey-dips-into-american-songbook/vCHd88/

Thanks UTW! I'll watch it as soon as I can.

Freypower
07-24-2015, 09:46 PM

I have a couple of screen shots of that, as I had seen it.

cynd1231
07-25-2015, 07:30 AM
SO sorry for the problem with those links I posted. If you bring up the WHIO page, scroll down to right below the main article and you'll find several video clips to watch. There are several and you'll have to scroll > to find the Glenn clips but they are all there!

UndertheWire
01-06-2016, 06:34 PM
There was an ice-skating show in Lake Placid to mark the 20th anniversary of the death of skater Sergei Grinkov.

Wylie's choice of "Here's to Life" by Glenn Frey seemed perfect for the show, celebrating life and encouraging all to live life to the fullest. His heartfelt skate earned a standing ovation.
Wylie suffered a heart attack last year, so the meaning of the program was especially poignant in the context of his experience and the tribute to Sergei.

http://www.lakeplacidnews.com/page/content.detail/id/524545/Gordeeva-hosts-loving-tribute-to-husband.html?nav=5007

01-07-2016, 01:10 PM
Thanks so much for finding that, UTW. Wow - how I would love to see that performance. I looked on YouTube to see if I could find it, but I didn't see it. :sad:

Freypower
01-07-2016, 05:38 PM
It's nice to see the song has moved into the mainstream somewhat & that more people are now aware of it besides Glenn's loyal fans.

sodascouts
01-11-2016, 10:33 AM
Cool - wish I could've seen that performance, too!

GlennLover
01-11-2016, 11:14 AM
Cool - wish I could've seen that performance, too!

The video is on YouTube now: http://youtu.be/DZNBYcgdko4 Very moving

UndertheWire
01-11-2016, 12:03 PM
The video is on YouTube now: http://youtu.be/DZNBYcgdko4 Very moving
Isn't that great! Amazing that Paul Wylie is about 50 and can still do all that stuff. Of course, it's a good choice of music.

sodascouts
01-11-2016, 07:17 PM
Wow. Thanks, GL!

Glennsallnighter
01-12-2016, 03:36 PM
Thanks so much GL! I love that song so much after seeing Glenn :heart: do it live. Makes me so nostalgic for those good old days when he released the album!

GlennLover
01-12-2016, 06:21 PM
Thanks so much GL! I love that song so much after seeing Glenn :heart: do it live. Makes me so nostalgic for those good old days when he released the album!

:jealous:LOL!

01-13-2016, 01:17 PM
Yep - Thanks from me too, GL. I'm so glad we got to see that. I must say that was, indeed, an excellent choice of music. Ever since After Hours was released, I've thought Glenn's versions of most of these songs is the best there is! :thumbsup:

Freypower
01-13-2016, 05:21 PM

I miss those days too. Only four years ago, and nearly three years since the solo tour down here.

'Can we ever bring 'em back once they have gone'? :weep:

sodascouts
01-13-2016, 10:43 PM
Hard to believe it's been that long. Here's to Glenn!

02-10-2016, 02:54 PM
Not sure how I feel about this writer's interpretation, but here is a posthumous writeup about After Hours that I found in the The LA Times ...

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/music/posts/la-et-ms-glenn-frey-dies-after-hours-20160119-story.html

January 19, 2016
Mikael Wood, Contact Reporter
Los Angeles Times

In 'After Hours,' Glenn Frey's unlikely goodbye carries a hidden slyness

http://www.trbimg.com/img-569e53ba/turbine/la-et-ms-glenn-frey-dies-after-hours-20160119-001/550/550x309
In 2012, Glenn Frey released an album of standards, "After Hours." The singer and guitarist died Monday.
(Autumn de Wilde)

Few who followed the Eagles through the 1970s could’ve envisioned Glenn Frey coming to roost on “After Hours,” the singer and guitarist’s slick 2012 solo album of old-school vocal pop. Not because rockers don’t do standards, of course: Rod Stewart and Paul McCartney dug through the Great American Songbook before the former Eagle did, and Bob Dylan and Annie Lennox went there after.

Indeed, it was Frey’s old pal Linda Ronstadt who set a template for this kind of thing 30 years ago with her extended (and super-successful) collaboration with the arranger Nelson Riddle.

But beneath the Eagles’ famously sun-warmed sound ran a pretty cold-blooded view of romance and celebrity. And here was Frey, the guy who sang about "your lyin' eyes" with more than a little recognition, crooning, “I love you for sentimental reasons,” over tinkling wine-bar piano.
The way the Eagles saw it, nobody did anything -- least of all love someone -- for sentimental reasons.

So it seems safe to say that Frey, who died Monday at age 67, didn’t intend for “After Hours” to be his final artistic statement. He wasn’t reflecting on a life’s philosophy the way David Bowie appears to have been doing with his death-obsessed “Blackstar.”

In a way, though, that’s what’s sort of great -- and maybe a bit characteristic after all -- about the album. For one thing, Frey’s light touch refreshes material that’s grown bogged down with the weight of endless interpretation -- tunes like “The Look of Love” and “The Shadow of Your Smile,” which Frey delivers with an appealing nonchalance, as though they’re ditties he just dashed off in an afternoon. Even “Here’s to Life,” that potentially dramatic toast to the end of the road, becomes a lark in Frey’s hands.

Was he consciously undermining the big emotions in these songs? And was the album’s assembly-line production saying something about pop’s easy commodification (a very Eagles idea)?

When Frey spoke about the record to The Times in 2012, he suggested that its sound was his attempt to stave off the boredom of checking into “Hotel California” yet again.

Yet there’s a hidden slyness to these renditions that gives “After Hours” the feel of a killer set-up.

You keep waiting for the punch line, and now it’ll never come.

Freypower
02-10-2016, 04:55 PM
I don't understand the 'hidden slyness' part at all. What does that even mean? I also don't agree that the songs were just delivered 'nonchalantly'. He put his heart & soul into them.

'Assembly line production'? In what sense?

Sadly this album along with a couple of significant tracks from LROOE must stand as his testament unless the rumoured nearly finished album of original material can be completed.

UndertheWire
02-10-2016, 06:22 PM
I hate the LA Times review and revisit of After Hours. I must be listening to a different CD.

Why is it so hard to believe that a man in his sixties and married for more than twenty years would have a different view of love than when he was young and single?

AlreadyGone95
02-10-2016, 06:49 PM
Glenn did put his heart and soul into After Hours. Heck, he did the album for his parents! Even though I don't listen to album much, Glenn's singing is absolutely beautiful.

I can see the point of not thinking that the 70s Glenn Frey would do an album like AH, but 33 years had passed since the end of that decade and 2012!

buffyfan145
02-10-2016, 09:03 PM
I agree with you all and I love this album. I didn't even know about it till the day he passed and my Mom was watching YT vids on her phone of him and found it. Again we both love 40s music and were blown away by this. His voice is amazing on it and it was so heartfelt imo. Reading he did that for his parents made it even more special to me. I agree that people change and wisdom comes as we age so yeah he wouldn't have recorded this when he was young but it fits for where he was at around 2012. Totally need to buy this now even though I've listened to it many times on my tablet. LOL

Brooke
02-11-2016, 12:58 PM
I remember when this album came out and I thought that I wouldn't really like it. That kind of music just wasn't my cup of tea. But as I listened to it more and more it grew on me and I thought he did a perfect job on it. I really love listening to it now. His voice is just gorgeous and we all know how meticulous Glenn is and I don't think he could have done it any better. And how sweet that he did it for his parents?! I sure do wish I had gotten to see him do some of the songs from it live. :heart:

That guy doesn't know what he's talking about! :scowl:

02-11-2016, 01:11 PM
Yep - Yesterday when I came across this article, I just scanned through it. After reading through it again, I have to agree with all of you - just one more misinformed clueless writer.

buffyfan145
05-08-2016, 09:27 AM
Happy 4th Anniversary to "After Hours"!!! :D I loved this album and I'm sad I didn't even know Glenn did it till after he passed. I love standards and music from the 40s, 50s, and 60s and it was so amazing to hear Glenn sing this and it's such a lovely album. :heart: His voice is just fantastic on this. I love he made this for his parents too.

AlreadyGone95
05-08-2016, 11:42 AM
Happy 4th anniversary to After Hours. I must admit that this album has grown on me since Glenn's death. It was his death that prompted me to buy a physical copy of the album. Granted, it is my least favorite album of his because it isn't my kind of music. but I've come to enjoy the songs occasionally. Glenn's voice is beautiful and fits in perfectly with the music.

WS82Classics
05-08-2016, 01:33 PM
I'm not usually a 40's/50's music kind of guy, but I was suitably impressed when I put this album on in my car a couple of weeks back.

The album has a consistency that some of his other works don't have. I would certainly rate it above his previous two studio efforts, and right up there with his first two.

sodascouts
05-08-2016, 01:39 PM
I'm just so very grateful for this album, especially now.

Glennsallnighter
05-08-2016, 03:47 PM
Happy 4th Birthday to After Hours

I can't help recollecting today the excitement we all felt 4 years ago as Glenn :heart:'s long awaited album was finally released- we couldn't wait to get our hands on it, listen to the songs, some that we had heard before, others that we would hear for the first time. The excitement of attending the first 6 shows that he supported the CD with.

I'm so glad that he released it when he did, before his mom passed away and even more shockingly before he left us too. If he hadn't released it when he did we may never have been able to hear this lovely album. Listening to it today (for the first time since January) like all his other work, the lyrics of so many of the songs are taking on different and newer meanings. Its painful but its cathartic to remember and relive.

To finish
'Here's to life, Here's to love, Heres to YOU' :cheers:

Thank you Glenn :heart:

UndertheWire
05-08-2016, 04:25 PM
After Hours was the first Eagles-related CD I bought after watching History of the Eagles (19th June 2013). I loved it then and still do.

Here's to Life seems so apt. Thank you, Glenn.

Freypower
05-08-2016, 05:06 PM
I'm not usually a 40's/50's music kind of guy, but I was suitably impressed when I put this album on in my car a couple of weeks back.

The album has a consistency that some of his other works don't have. I would certainly rate it above his previous two studio efforts, and right up there with his first two.

I can't agree that it's better than Strange Weather but it's my second favourite of his albums. We know there were tracks he didn't use - one being A Rainy Night In Georgia. The album should be re-released with the unused tracks.

Dawn
05-08-2016, 05:47 PM
I'm also a hard core Brian Wilson fan and think Glenn's cover of Caroline, No is superb. Love the orchestral arrangement.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eyWuOebOArA

05-08-2016, 06:48 PM
HAPPY 4TH ANNIVERSARY AFTER HOURS!!!

To repeat what I've said before, the types of songs on After Hours are not my favorite genre. However, I still find the album very enjoyable to listen to. I agree that Glenn's vocals are absolutely exquisite. I would also say that his versions of most of these songs are the best I've ever heard. So, even if it's not my favorite Glenn solo effort, it still an awesome album. And what a great time some of us Borderers had on our After Hours East Coast concert tour back in 2012! :thumbsup:

Dawn
05-08-2016, 07:36 PM
HAPPY 4TH ANNIVERSARY AFTER HOURS!!!

To repeat what I've said before, the types of songs on After Hours are not my favorite genre. However, I still find the album very enjoyable to listen to. I agree that Glenn's vocals are absolutely exquisite. I would also say that his versions of most of these songs are the best I've ever heard. So, even if it's not my favorite Glenn solo effort, it still an awesome album. And what a great time some of us Borderers had on our After Hours East Coast concert tour back in 2012! :thumbsup:

After Hours is not my favorite Glenn solo effort either for the same reasons you have expressed - I do enjoy it though and all things considered I'm very glad he made the album when he did.

shunlvswx
05-08-2016, 09:37 PM
Happy 4th Birthday to After Hours.

Brooke
05-09-2016, 02:38 PM
Happy Birthday to After Hours!

I was very skeptical when I heard this was coming out because it's not really my kind of music either. But after listening to it a few times, it really grew on me and now I love it! I wish I could have gone to one of his shows for it.

FWIW
05-10-2016, 12:53 AM
I was very moved when I learned that Glenn's parents were the inspiration for the album. I doubt I would have liked it if he released it in the 70s. Now that I am, ahem, a bit older (and wiser!) I really do appreciate the music. Glenn's vocals are just wonderful.

priscillaupstate
05-14-2016, 07:58 PM
I listen to a radio show in NY every Saturday night. The host just played Caroline No by Glenn. It is the 50th anniversary of Pet Sounds this week.

UndertheWire
07-07-2016, 08:42 AM
I'm on a hunt for something, and came across something I don't remember reading before. The stories are similar to those he told throughout his promotion of the album but with slightly more detail. In one video interview, he sounded like he really got a kick out of being interviewed for Jazz magazines.

http://jazztimes.com/articles/30326-glenn-frey-taking-it-easy

sodascouts
07-10-2016, 01:57 PM
I love this comment from that interview:

“How serendipitous is that,” says Frey, concluding that, “the greatest two days in the entire process were getting to sit in the control room and watch 22 string players and a couple of flutes and French horns lift my songs to heaven. At the end of the second day, I addressed the orchestra and said, ‘What you’ve done to this material is beyond my wildest dreams. I’ve been a rock ’n’ roll star for most of my adult life, but today I am a musician.’"

buffyfan145
07-10-2016, 03:57 PM
Aww, I love that too!!! :D

Freypower
07-10-2016, 05:52 PM
I love this comment from that interview:

“How serendipitous is that,” says Frey, concluding that, “the greatest two days in the entire process were getting to sit in the control room and watch 22 string players and a couple of flutes and French horns lift my songs to heaven. At the end of the second day, I addressed the orchestra and said, ‘What you’ve done to this material is beyond my wildest dreams. I’ve been a rock ’n’ roll star for most of my adult life, but today I am a musician.’"

I made that into a signature.

Glennsallnighter
07-10-2016, 07:15 PM
What a most beautiful quote. And how gracious was he to the orchestra that made it happen

shunlvswx
05-08-2017, 12:06 PM
Happy 5th Birthday to After Hours. So sad that this would be Glenn's last solo album. :weep:

Delilah
05-08-2017, 03:04 PM
I imagine this album was something Glenn had wanted to do for awhile. I'm glad he was able to do it. I love the title track. He seemed to like that percussion effect of brush and cymbals (I'm probably using the wrong terminology).

Anyway, Happy anniversary, "After Hours"!

Glennhoney
05-08-2017, 07:25 PM
I always thought there could have been a nice video for "After hours"....:heart:

sodascouts
05-09-2017, 02:36 PM
So much can change in five years....

Happy birthday, After Hours.

Glennsallnighter
05-09-2017, 06:21 PM
Happy Birthday to the wonderful album 'After Hours'. One of my favourites. Memories of my wonderful evening in LA also come flooding back now. It was a privilege to share that evening with Soda, FP and of course Glenn :heart:. Still so hard to believe that this was the last time I'd see a live solo show from him

Freypower
05-09-2017, 07:10 PM
It wasn't my last solo show, but I am deeply grateful for the album & the tour & saddened that no effort has been made to find anything like unreleased tracks.

Dawn
05-09-2017, 09:59 PM
Glenn clearly enjoyed making this record and seemed very pleased with the way it ultimately turned out.

My personal favorite is Caroline, No. It's not an easy song to cover and I think Glenn did a fine job.

https://www.vevo.com/watch/glenn-frey/after-hours-(trailer)/USUMV1200091

FreyFollower
05-11-2017, 03:18 PM
I love the warmth of Glenn's voice on this record. I find it an especially great listen after a stressful day at work. S-I-G-H.....

Dawn
12-09-2017, 02:15 PM
The Art of the Song COMPLETE Tribute to Glenn Frey

Parts 1,2 and 3 Transcript and Audio

Radio Interview in Pasadena 2012 in advance of the release of After Hours. I had only been able to find and read Part 3 so I was happy to discover the complete series is available online.

https://artofthesong.org/glenn-frey-interview-part-1-a-tribute/

It's hard to believe we are only a few short weeks away from the second anniversary of Glenn's passing. I sure do miss him but it helps to focus on celebrating his life and enjoying his records, especially AH which he truly loved making.

Dawn
12-09-2017, 02:46 PM
Glenn clearly enjoyed making this record and seemed very pleased with the way it ultimately turned out.

My personal favorite is Caroline, No. It's not an easy song to cover and I think Glenn did a fine job.

https://www.vevo.com/watch/glenn-frey/after-hours-(trailer)/USUMV1200091

In the Art of the Song interview Glenn talks about why he chose to record this song and others.

https://artofthesong.org/glenn-frey-interview-part-1-a-tribute/

Magnolia
12-09-2017, 11:16 PM
I listened to After Hours in its entirety after work today for the first time and it is truly a magnificent album. I can see why Glenn enjoyed making it.