PDA

View Full Version : Eagles Song Survivor: Hotel California

sodascouts
05-04-2007, 07:20 PM
Time for our next Song Survivor! Our album this time will be Hotal Calfornia. If you're new, for a basic overview of the game, see this post: Survivor Overview

(https://eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/showpost.php?p=6551&postcount=7) I'm going to list the songs of Hotel California here. Vote for the song that you feel should be eliminated from the list. The song that gets the most votes will be taken off of the list (or, in the language of Survivor, "Voted off of the island.") Each round, one more song will get axed, until there's only one left. Remember: you're voting for your LEAST favorite, not your favorite.

Each round will last 48 hours after posting to give people a chance to vote who don't post every day. That means that the first round will end at 8:00 Eastern time the day after tomorrow. If you miss a round, don't think you can't play. It's all good!

Since there may be discussion posts, be sure to make it clear when you are casting your vote. Votes cannot be cast after the cut off time of 8:00 on the second day, and they cannot be changed once you have voted.

If you get confused about what round we are in, look at this post. I'll always update it to reflect the current round. Also feel free to post any questions if you don't understand what's going on.

If there is a tiebreaker, then ALL votes from ALL previous rounds are tallied and whoever has the most prior votes is eliminated. That’s the way it’s done on the real show, that’s the way it’s done here. If there is a complete tie with prior votes (Murphy’s Law), then I'll have a sudden-death trivia question ready. The first person who answers it correctly gets to break the tie. The odds of that happening are slim, but you never know, and it's good to be prepared.

We have finished the game. Thanks for playing!

The winner of the Hotel Calfornia Survivor Game is:
Hotel California

Songs voted off:
The Last Resort 05/06
Pretty Maids All in a Row 05/08
Wasted Time 05/10
Victim of Love 05/12
Try and Love Again 05/14
Life in the Fast Lane 05/16
New Kid in Town 05/18

Game Over!

sodascouts
05-04-2007, 07:23 PM
I'm voting for the overlong, self-righteous, and arguably hypocritical Last Resort. The tune is pretty, but... let's just say I think Henley should have stopped before he got to Lahaina.

I cast my vote for The Last Resort.

Freypower
05-04-2007, 07:25 PM
This is my favourite Eagles album and such will be the hardest for me to choose which songs to eliminate. I have already done some thinking about this. They are eight essential songs - which is the least essential? It's almost impossible!

Very reluctantly I cast my vote for Pretty Maids All In A Row although it fits the album's themes of disillusion and innocence vs. experience so beautifully, and it's a wonderful performance. Of the eight, I guess for me it's the song I could live without.

glenneaglesfan
05-05-2007, 05:56 AM
In the iPod age it's good to go back to listening to an album. Hotel California was the first Eagles album I ever heard, and I suppose most people consider it their finest. Every track is good, and this is going to be difficult. Although I can see your point of view, FP, for me Pretty Maids is hauntingly beautiful - particularly the piano intro, and remains one of my favourites. I am going to go with Soda here - The Last Resort is a moving indictment of man's destructive tendencies, but it is overlong, and probably the track I would be most likely to skip.

I cast my vote for The Last Resort

sodascouts
05-05-2007, 01:38 PM
Good point about the intro, GEF. I've described it before as "cinematic" - it happened to come on my iPod today, in fact, reinforcing to me its beauty all over again.

It's also interesting what you said about the rarity of listening to an album front-to-back nowadays. I wonder if a "concept album" like Hotel California would have a real impact at this point?

Randy's Girl
05-05-2007, 03:12 PM
I cast my vote for Victim of Love

sodascouts
05-05-2007, 03:25 PM

Short and to the point, RG! ;)

DonFan
05-05-2007, 03:37 PM
I'm voting for the overlong, self-righteous, and arguably hypocritical Last Resort.

I hesitate to comment on this song, since it is known as "Mr. Henley's Opus" and I am such a huge fan of most all of Don's work---
However, I feel the same way as Nancy. Although I appreciate the sentiment behind the song, it is overlong and definitely the song I tend to skip over on this album.

Therefore, I cast my vote for The Last Resort as well.

timfan
05-05-2007, 04:05 PM
As I enjoy all the songs on this album it is a very difficult choice.

However if i had to say my least favourite it would be Life in the Fast Lane.
I find it to repetitive and Don's voice is IMO is not suited to the heavy rock songs.
Therefore:

I cast my vote for Life in the Fast Lane

Maleah
05-05-2007, 05:37 PM
Ouch :laugh: i LOVE LITFL and Don's vocals on it is one of the first things that drew me to the Eagles :blush: lol

I totally agree, however, about TLR. It seems to be a favorite among many....but not me. It's very well written and it has good intentions, but it's just too long for me and for some strange reason I really don't care for the melody. So........

I cast my vote for The Last Resort

Randy's Girl
05-06-2007, 10:31 AM

Short and to the point, RG! ;)

Yes :D I do like the song, but I don't think it's one of their best ones. It was a tie between that and LITFL.

sodascouts
05-06-2007, 11:23 AM
Yeah, it's definitely hard to choose between these songs. Often, I'm forced to choose by expediency; I have a song I want to make it to the top, and I vote strategically in order to make that happen.

EasyFeeling
05-06-2007, 01:44 PM
I agree with RG and cast my vote for Victim Of Love.

Ive always been a dreamer
05-06-2007, 02:50 PM
I wonder if a "concept album" like Hotel California would have a real impact at this point?

Good question, Soda. Who knows, but I tend to think the answer is yes it would if the album reached the level of HC. However, that is the problem. Few albums ever have, and by today's standards, it's not likely to happen anytime soon. JMHO!

Now - I know I've said this same thing before, and probably sounds like a broken record, but it is honestly the way I feel - I do not think there is a bad song on this album! I guess that's why I love these guys as much as I do - they just don't have many bad songs! :wink:

I love everything about The Last Resort except that I agree it is too long. I think Soda said it best that they could have "stopped before he got to Lahaina." Okay guys - we get it - you can stop now. However, in their defense, long songs were the "in" thing at the time it was written, so I think I understand why they did this. PMAIAR is beautiful as well, and I hate to see Joe's debut Eagle's song go down so quickly.

But now, what must be done, must be done. I think these will be the first two songs voted off in our game. Since I love them both pretty equally, and right now TLR has the most votes, therefore ...

I cast my vote for Pretty Maids All In a Row.

Just to even things out, you know. :(

Brooke
05-06-2007, 07:36 PM
This is going to be a tough one for me. There have been some interesting comments too. And as much as I hate to see Pretty Maids go down first, I do think it's the weakest song on the album.

I cast my vote for Pretty Maids All In A Row.
[/b]

sodascouts
05-06-2007, 08:06 PM
It almost got messy (a tie in the first round would not be good!), but the first song to leave the island in Hotel California Survivor is The Last Resort. Last Resort, please leave immediately – I hear Lahaina’s pretty this time of year. The rest of the songs may return to camp.

Votes
The Last Resort – 4
Pretty Maids All in a Row – 3
Victim of Love – 2
Life in the Fast Lane – 1

Vote Breakdown
The Last Resort – sodascouts
The Last Resort – glenneaglesfan
The Last Resort – DonFan
The Last Resort – Maleah
Pretty Maids All in a Row – Freypower
Pretty Maids All in a Row – Ive always been a dreamer
Pretty Maids All in a Row – Brooke
Victim of Love – Randy’s Girl
Victim of Love – EasyFeeling
Life in the Fast Lane – timfan

Songs eliminated:
The Last Resort 05/06

Songs remaining:
Hotel California
New Kid in Town
Life in the Fast Lane
Wasted Time
Victim of Love
Pretty Maids All in a Row
Try and Love Again

Voting for Round 2 begins now.

Freypower
05-06-2007, 08:15 PM
Well, that was interesting! I didn't expect The Last Resort to be eliminated so quickly. It's an 'important' song - perhaps too important.

With that out of the way I again cast my vote for Pretty Maids All In A Row.

Maleah
05-06-2007, 09:44 PM
Ooooo gorgeous AV FP! :D

Er.....sorry.......I got distracted :blush:

I'm just not a huge fan of Joe on ballads. I like to hear him on the rockin' songs! Therefore.......I agree with FP

I cast my vote for Pretty Maids All In A Row

SweetHolly
05-06-2007, 10:10 PM
I love your avatar, FP. :D
I'm also going to go with Pretty Maids All In A Row.

sodascouts
05-06-2007, 10:30 PM
Hey, Pretty Maids is incredible! What are you guys doing?

I cast my vote for Victim of Love.

OK everybody!

SAVE PRETTY MAIDS! VOTE FOR VICTIM OF LOVE!

Maleah
05-06-2007, 11:24 PM
Hey now! :laugh: Don't make VOL the victim! Vote PRETTY MAIDS!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

DonFan
05-06-2007, 11:32 PM
What is going on here? Victim of Love is a fabulous song! How can ypu possibly vote against it?

I vote to cast off Pretty Maids!

Randy's Girl
05-07-2007, 12:18 PM
I cast my vote once more for Victim of Love ( I love Pretty Maids - my first intro to Joe!)

Brooke
05-07-2007, 01:13 PM
Oh no! I LOVE VOL! It's such a sexy song!

I cast my vote for Pretty Maids!

DonFan
05-07-2007, 01:21 PM
You're right, Brooke--VOL IS a sexy song.
It also perfectly describes the way I felt after I saw Don solo--I was a "victim of love" myself! 8)

05-07-2007, 01:24 PM
You're right, Brooke--VOL IS a sexy song.
It also perfectly describes the way I felt after I saw Don solo--I was a "victim of love" myself! 8)

Oh goodness - I could say so much here, but I won't! :wink: :wink:

sodascouts
05-07-2007, 02:23 PM
OK, I concede, Victim of Love is sexy... but Pretty Maids is breathtakingly beautiful. That should count for something!

glenneaglesfan
05-07-2007, 03:07 PM
Wow, it looks as if Pretty Maids is going down next. I don't think I can save it, but I'm going to do my best to save Victim Of Love... it's another intelligent song about relationships, and I just love that line 'How come you've still got his gun in your hand'.

I cast my vote for Wasted Time

EasyFeeling
05-07-2007, 03:54 PM
No, I can't vote for Pretty Maids :shock: ... it's one of my favourite Joe song.

I haven't change my mind and have to vote for Victim Of Love, again.

Selena
05-07-2007, 05:54 PM
I'll vote for Pretty Maids hard as it is....

timfan
05-07-2007, 06:07 PM
I think Pretty Maids is a great song (really shows a different side to Joe) so in order to try to save Pretty Maids :wink:...

05-08-2007, 07:01 PM
Okay - it looks like Pretty Maids is going down, which is what I expected. Therefore, I can cast a strategic vote. Even though I really do love this sexy song and am kind of surprised it's getting so many votes...

sodascouts
05-08-2007, 09:24 PM
Sorry I'm late - went out to eat with a friend to celebrate him getting a job.

Now it’s time for the results for Round 2. The second song to leave the island in Hotel California Survivor is Pretty Maids All in a Row. Pretty Maids, please leave us behind immediately. The rest of the songs may return to camp.

Votes
Pretty Maids All in a Row – 6
Victim of Love – 5
Wasted Time – 1

Vote Breakdown
Pretty Maids All in a Row – Freypower
Pretty Maids All in a Row – Maleah
Pretty Maids All in a Row – SweetHolly
Pretty Maids All in a Row – DonFan
Pretty Maids All in a Row – Brooke
Pretty Maids All in a Row – Selena
Victim of Love – sodascouts
Victim of Love – timfan
Victim of Love – Ive always been a dreamer
Wasted Time – glenneaglesfan

Songs eliminated:
The Last Resort 05/06

Songs remaining:
Hotel California
New Kid in Town
Life in the Fast Lane
Wasted Time
Victim of Love
Try and Love Again

Voting for Round 3 begins now.

SweetHolly
05-08-2007, 09:46 PM
Congrats to your friend on getting a job, Nancy. 8)

I cast my vote for Wasted Time.

Freypower
05-09-2007, 12:14 AM
Like Holly, I cast my vote for Wasted Time because, I know I shouldn't say so, but I'm bored with it after all these years. I think two extremely long piano based ballads featuring Don on this album is overkill, frankly. He also dominates the other songs he sings, but not quite to this extent. I'm still very fond of Wasted Time but I honestly think other tracks have aged better.

sodascouts
05-09-2007, 12:26 AM
Hmm, I see what you mean... I'm still deliberating.

Maleah
05-09-2007, 12:47 AM
I see what she means too.........I'm just waiting to see how the voting goes because I'm still choosing between two songs :laugh:

EasyFeeling
05-09-2007, 09:17 AM
Do I smell a plot here? http://www.cheesebuerger.de/images/smilie/froehlich/g020.gif Ok, then I'll be waiting too. :twisted: Who's next? :wink:

sodascouts
05-09-2007, 11:28 AM
Looks like Wasted Time's going down, with or without my vote. So time for some strategy...

I cast my vote for Life in the Fast Lane.

Selena
05-09-2007, 12:00 PM
I'm voting for Try & Love Again. Why not be different hey :wink:

timfan
05-09-2007, 12:14 PM
I cast my Vote for Wasted Time

As FP said I am bored with it. It's too sleepy a song for my taste. IMHO it is one song that should be replaced in the set.

Perfect Little Sister
05-09-2007, 12:36 PM
:help: Man this is hard! I guess I'll have to vote for Try and Love Again. But it's only cuz I like it a teeny, tiny, eensy bit less than the others. :wink:

DonFan
05-09-2007, 12:39 PM
Wasted Time is an incredible song. I have friends who barely know the Eagles, and are only familiar with their most famous songs, but who love that song. A divorced friend told me it perfectly captures her feelings about searching for the right person out there. The poignant way that it speaks about relationships, and the haunting way that Don sings it, both help to make that song a classic.

So, I'm with you, Selena.
I vote for Try & Love Again.

sodascouts
05-09-2007, 12:48 PM
Wasted Time is an incredible song. I have friends who barely know the Eagles, and are only familiar with their most famous songs, but who love that song. A divorced friend told me it perfectly captures her feelings about searching for the right person out there. The poignant way that it speaks about relationships, and the haunting way that Don sings it, both help to make that song a classic.

So, I'm with you, Selena.
I vote for Try & Love Again.

I can see that - it really is the perfect song for the dissolution of a long-standing relationship.

EasyFeeling
05-09-2007, 02:00 PM
I really don't know for which song I should vote. :? :? :?

Randy's Girl
05-09-2007, 03:08 PM
I cast my vote once more for Victim Of Love

Brooke
05-09-2007, 03:23 PM
This is going to be tough. I agree with Freypower about the too long ballads and, much as I love Don, his domination of the album. Since he has so many songs, I guess maybe he ought to lose another one. :( Of those left, Wasted Time, although beautiful, is my least favorite, so...

glenneaglesfan
05-09-2007, 04:52 PM
I'm sad that Pretty Maids has gone, but it was a close call, and just demonstrates the quality of all the tracks on this album. I voted for Wasted Time in the last round - it's a toss up for me between this and another, but I'll stick to my guns.

Maleah
05-09-2007, 05:48 PM
Well it looks like it's going down................but :D

I cast my vote for Try and Love Again

Freypower
05-09-2007, 07:48 PM
I cast my Vote for Wasted Time

As FP said I am bored with it. It's too sleepy a song for my taste. IMHO it is one song that should be replaced in the set.

It has been dropped. They haven't played it for quite some time. They do Witchy Woman instead.

05-09-2007, 09:41 PM
OMG - This is so hard. I don't want to vote for any of these songs. I have to say that I think Wasted Time is a wonderful song. Personally, I love everything about it - Don's voice, the words, the music - trifecta! :D And PLEASE don't vote down Try and Love Again - I think it's Randy second best song ever. Oh well - I'm still not sure what to vote for so I have to go give it some more thought.

EasyFeeling
05-10-2007, 03:28 AM
OMG - This is so hard. I don't want to vote for any of these songs. I have to say that I think Wasted Time is a wonderful song. Personally, I love everything about it - Don's voice, the words, the music - trifecta! :D And PLEASE don't vote down Try and Love Again - I think it's Randy second best song ever. Oh well - I'm still not sure what to vote for so I have to go give it some more thought.

I have to agree with you, Dreamer. I haven't heard Try And Love Again before RG emailed that song to me. It's just great.

I cast my vote for Victim Of Love.

05-10-2007, 12:53 PM
Okay I decided I have to try to save Try and Love Again. I love Wasted Time as I said before, but since Try and Love Again is the only Randy song and a very good one at that, with great reluctance ...

sodascouts
05-10-2007, 08:01 PM
The third song to leave the island in Hotel California Survivor is “Wasted Time.” Wasted Time, it looks like the end for you... please leave immediately. The rest of the songs may return to camp.

Votes
Wasted Time – 6
Try and Love Again – 4
Victim of Love – 2
Life in the Fast Lane – 1

Vote Breakdown
Wasted Time – SweetHolly
Wasted Time – Freypower
Wasted Time – timfan
Wasted Time – Brooke
Wasted Time – glenneaglesfan
Wasted Time – ive always been a dreamer
Try and Love Again – Selena
Try and Love Again – Perfect Little Sister
Try and Love Again – DonFan
Try and Love Again – Maleah
Life in the Fast Lane – sodascouts

Songs eliminated:
The Last Resort 05/06
Wasted Time 05/10

Songs remaining:
Hotel California
New Kid in Town
Life in the Fast Lane
Victim of Love
Try and Love Again

Voting for Round 4 begins now.

Freypower
05-10-2007, 08:59 PM
This is now a tossup between Victim Of Love & Try & Love Again. I love both songs. However VOL rocks (watch Christchurch). I think TALA is probably Meisner's best song (because Glenn & Don helped considerably on TITTL). Nonetheless I cast my vote for Try & Love Again.

timfan
05-10-2007, 09:22 PM
As I love all the songs remaining.. I will go back to my original vote :wink: As hard as it is to choose I would have to say my least favourite from the songs remaining is Life in the Fastlane. Once again I don't feel the song fits Don very well. JMO of course!

So... I cast my vote for Life in the Fast Lane

Maleah
05-10-2007, 11:43 PM
I cast my vote for Try and Love Again.........again :D

DonFan
05-11-2007, 09:09 AM
I cast my vote for Try & Love Again.

Marco
05-11-2007, 10:42 AM
The Best Song Of Hotel California is Pretty Maids All In A Row (I prefer the Live Version)

Randy's Girl
05-11-2007, 04:22 PM
And once more I will cast my vote for Victim of Love

SweetHolly
05-11-2007, 07:09 PM
This keeps getting harder and harder to vote.

I cast my vote for Life In The Fast Lane.

Glennsallnighter
05-12-2007, 05:58 AM
I can't believe I've missed so much of this while away :( . The Last Resort is actually one of my alltime favourites even though it is a bit of an epic. However its already gone, so I'll cast my vote for Victim Of Love.

Brooke
05-12-2007, 09:54 AM
I had to really give this one some deep thought. I listened to both songs several times last night going to town. I really am torn between TALA and VOL. But, as Freypower said, VOL rocks. And Don's voice is ......what can I say! :heart:

Therefore, I cast my vote for Try and Love Again.

EasyFeeling
05-12-2007, 11:08 AM
Holy crap, Wasted Time is eliminated. :shock: :shock:

Again... I cast my vote for Victim Of Love. Hopefully it works this time.

Randy's Girl
05-12-2007, 02:18 PM
Can I have another go? :wink:

I cast my vote for Victim of Love - twice more, gotta get it voted off! :wink: Gotta try and save Randy's song :D

sodascouts
05-12-2007, 03:04 PM
I was debating, RG, but you sold me.

05-12-2007, 06:04 PM
Okay - I'm hoping to save Try and Love Again for one more round. Therefore, as awesome (and sexy) as I think this song is ....

BTW - Soda will be unavailable tonight and asked me to post the results of this round. I may be a little late getting the results up because I'm going out to dinner, but, hopefully, I'll be home by 9:00.

05-12-2007, 08:58 PM
The fourth song to leave the island in Hotel California Survivor is “Victim of Love.” Victim of Love, you played it so well, but... please leave immediately. The rest of the songs may return to camp.

Votes
Victim of Love – 5
Try and Love Again – 4
Life in the Fast Lane – 2

Vote Breakdown
Victim of Love – Glennsallnighter
Victim of Love – sodascouts
Victim of Love – Ive always been a dreamer
Try and Love Again – Freypower
Try and Love Again – Brooke
Life in the Fast Lane – SweetHolly

Songs eliminated:
The Last Resort 05/06
Wasted Time 05/10
Victim of Love 05/12

Songs remaining:
Hotel California
New Kid in Town
Life in the Fast Lane
Try and Love Again

Voting for Round 5 begins now.

SweetHolly
05-12-2007, 09:15 PM
I cast my vote again for Life In The Fast Lane.

timfan
05-12-2007, 09:32 PM

DonFan
05-12-2007, 10:38 PM
I feel a little redundant.

Maleah
05-12-2007, 10:54 PM
lol! Same here! I can't believe there's so many people voting off LITFL......it's probably one of my top 4-5 Eagles songs! Oh well I guess :(

I cast my vote for....you guessed it........Try & Love Again

Glennsallnighter
05-13-2007, 02:16 AM
This is getting so difficult, but for this round I cast my vote for Try and Love Again :D
Next 2 rounds are going to be sooooo hard...

sodascouts
05-13-2007, 02:23 AM

Gonna try, gonna try, gonna try, gonna try and vote it off again? ;)

Selena
05-13-2007, 08:28 AM

Gonna try, gonna try, gonna try, gonna try and vote it off again? ;)

I'm gonna try too...I vote Try & Love Again off the island.

EasyFeeling
05-13-2007, 09:16 AM
This is hard...

As much as I love that song, I cast my vote for Life In The Fast Lane.

Randy's Girl
05-13-2007, 09:42 AM
I cast my vote for Life In The Fast Lane

glenneaglesfan
05-13-2007, 10:05 AM
Drat, I missed the last round. Life In The Fast Lane is one of the great Eagles rockers IMO. I can't vote it off yet. Try And Love Again is also a great song, and somehow fits in beautifully in the order of play, but after a toss up

I cast my vote for Try And Love Again

Freypower
05-13-2007, 07:10 PM
No way can LITFL, one of the Big Three, go yet. I cast my vote for Try And Love Again.

Brooke
05-14-2007, 01:05 PM
I'm gonna try, gonna try, gonna try, too! LITFL must be saved for another round!

I cast my vote for Try and Love Again....again!

05-14-2007, 07:19 PM
Okay ladies - it is indeed time for Try and Love Again to go. As much as I love it, it can't top the rockin' LIFL. However, since it looks like it doesn't need my vote, I am once again going for some strategy. So with great sadness ...

I cast my vote for New Kid in Town.

OMG - I can't believe I just did that! :wink: :D

sodascouts
05-14-2007, 07:56 PM
Voting right under the wire...

I cast my vote for Try and Love Again.

sodascouts
05-14-2007, 08:03 PM
The fifth song to leave the island in Hotel California Survivor is “Try and Love Again.” Try and Love Again. you fought a good fight, but please leave immediately. The rest of the songs may return to camp.

Votes
Try and Love Again – 8
Life in the Fast Lane – 4
New Kid in Town – 1

Vote Breakdown
Try and Love Again – Freypower
Try and Love Again – Glennsallnighter
Try and Love Again – Selena
Try and Love Again – glenneaglesfan
Try and Love Again – Brooke
Try and Love Again – sodascouts
Life in the Fast Lane – SweetHolly
Life in the Fast Lane – EasyFeeling
Life in the Fast Lane – Randy’s Girl
New Kid in Town – Ive always been a dreamer

Songs eliminated:
The Last Resort 05/06
Wasted Time 05/10
Victim of Love 05/12
Try and Love Again 05/14

Songs remaining:
Hotel California
New Kid in Town
Life in the Fast Lane

Voting for Round 6 begins now.

sodascouts
05-14-2007, 08:04 PM
I don't need to think about this.

Freypower
05-14-2007, 08:14 PM
No - it's easy now. I cast my vote for Life In The Fast Lane.

timfan
05-14-2007, 08:19 PM

Maleah
05-14-2007, 11:38 PM
I cast my vote for New Kid in Town

SweetHolly
05-14-2007, 11:43 PM
As much as I hate to do this, I think I will cast my vote for New Kid In Town.

Randy's Girl
05-15-2007, 04:36 AM

Selena
05-15-2007, 09:16 AM
I'll cast my vote for New Kid in Town.

DonFan
05-15-2007, 10:41 AM

05-15-2007, 11:00 AM
OMG - this is going to be another nail biter. But, as good as LIFL is, there is no way that it deserves to beat out the gorgeous, grammy-winning New Kid in Town. Therefore ...

EasyFeeling
05-15-2007, 11:57 AM
I cast my vote for Life In The Fast Lane.

Glennsallnighter
05-15-2007, 12:08 PM
I just cannot vote off NKIT either. I just love it. So it has to be that much as I like it too...............
......I cast my vote for Life in the Fast Lane.......

glenneaglesfan
05-15-2007, 05:29 PM
This is going to be close. The final three songs are all excellent, but this time around

Mrs Frey
05-16-2007, 06:08 AM
Can I vote? Can I vote?? I'm always so late with everything... :blush:

With these three great songs left, this is really difficult, but I LOVE "New Kid In Town" and "Hotel California", so I cast my vote for "Life In The Fast Lane" (with tears in my eyes :cry: )

05-16-2007, 09:19 AM
Yes Mrs. F. - you can vote. Anyone can vote in any round regardless of whether they've voted previously or not. :)

Brooke
05-16-2007, 10:12 AM
Yup, the last 3 songs are all fantastic and it's a tough decision.

But, if I have to pick, I cast my vote for Life in the Fast Lane.

05-16-2007, 08:03 PM
Hi all - I will be posting the results of the Survivor competition while Soda is vacationing. So here goes ...

The sixth song to leave the island in Hotel California Survivor is “Life in the Fast Lane” with 10 votes. Life in the Fast Lane, you put up a brutally handsome fight, but... please leave immediately. The two remaining songs, please step forward for the final round.

Votes
Life in the Fast Lane – 10
New Kid in Town – 4

Vote Breakdown
Life in the Fast Lane – Sodascouts
Life in the Fast Lane – Freypower
Life in the Fast Lane – Randy’s Girl
Life in the Fast Lane – Ive always been a dreamer
Life in the Fast Lane – EasyFeeling
Life in the Fast Lane – Glennsallnighter
Life in the Fast Lane – glenneaglesfan
Life in the Fast Lane – Mrs. Frey
Life in the Fast Lane – Brooke
New Kid in Town – Maleah
New Kid in Town – SweetHolly
New Kid in Town – Selena
New Kid in Town – DonFan

Songs eliminated:
The Last Resort 05/06
Wasted Time 05/10
Victim of Love 05/12
Try and Love Again 05/14

Songs remaining:
Hotel California
New Kid in Town

OK. We’re at the last round. This round is special, so it’s done differently. We’re not going to vote for the song we want to go. We’re going to vote for the song we want to win. This is how they do it on the real show, after all. Once again...

Vote for the song you want to win.

Voting for the final round begins now.

Maleah
05-16-2007, 08:09 PM
I cast my vote for Hotel California for the win

SweetHolly
05-16-2007, 08:10 PM
I cast my vote for Hotel California for the win.

Freypower
05-16-2007, 08:19 PM
There are not many albums by anyone that open with the artist's two best songs of all time, but this is one.

My head says Hotel California. My heart says New Kid In Town. I think NKIT is one of the band's most underrated songs. All I ever hear is that it was mainly written by J.D. Souther and perhaps that's the reason why they seem so offhand about it. It is absolute sheer perfection from start to finish and it is Glenn's finest hour. That said...

I vote for Hotel California.

Perfect Little Sister
05-17-2007, 03:29 AM
I remember when NKIT was all over the air waves in the 70's and it was my favorite song. It remained my favorite for many years.
I cast my vote for New Kid In Town.

glenneaglesfan
05-17-2007, 04:26 AM
Oh gosh, crunch time. Both these songs are beautifully composed and arranged, and Glenn's and Don's vocals are superb. NKIT has a special place for me, being the song where I first connected that voice with the face on the HC poster. However, HC is the iconic song of the Eagles, and that searing double guitar solo at the end is one of the finest, so

I cast my vote for Hotel California

Mrs Frey
05-17-2007, 06:27 AM
Phew! What a tough choice! FP and GEF, I couldn't agree more with your assessments of both songs. However, and I know I'm going to be outvoted on this score, but as much as I love and respect the genius songwriting and instrumentation of "Hotel California", as well as Don's great vocal, "New Kid In Town" is one of my favourite Eagles songs. I go into a world of my own when I hear it, and Glenn's :heart: lead vocal is so beautiful it's breathtaking. Don's harmony vocals are superb (as usual) and Don Felder's lead guitar work is some of the best and most melodic guitar work on any Eagles song (IMHO). Such beautiful and thought-provoking lyrics too. This song is in fact my earliest Eagles memory.

Taking all of the above into account, I cast my vote for "New Kid In Town" to win.(With tears streaming down my cheeks for HC :weep:)

timfan
05-17-2007, 08:20 AM

Glennsallnighter
05-17-2007, 09:44 AM
Its a tough decision, but as Glenn :heart: is so melodic and soulful on it I just have to cast my vote for New Kid in Town also. With apologies to HC of course....

DonFan
05-17-2007, 10:01 AM
Of all the Eagles' songs, Hotel California remains the one that is nearest and dearest to my heart.

I cast my vote for Hotel California.

Brooke
05-17-2007, 10:19 AM
I don't know what I can add to what's already been said about both songs. They are both amazing. Like Freypower said, my heart says NKIT, but I think HC is THE best overall Eagles song.

Therefore, I cast my vote for HOTEL CALIFORNIA to win!

sodascouts
05-17-2007, 12:51 PM
Both songs are terrific, but I feel NKIT has more emotional impact.

Randy's Girl
05-17-2007, 02:23 PM

Maleah
05-17-2007, 06:01 PM
Both songs are terrific, but I feel NKIT has more emotional impact.

Oh I don't know about that.........HC creeps me out if I listen to it at night by myself :shock: :wink:

Selena
05-17-2007, 06:16 PM
I cast my vote for Hotel California. It's classic Eagles & timeless.

EasyFeeling
05-18-2007, 04:04 AM
I love both songs and it was really hard to decide...

I cast my vote for New Kid In Town.

05-18-2007, 07:57 PM
Oh my – these are both two wonderful songs. Like FP and Brooke, my heart says to vote for New Kid in Town. It probably is one of the band’s best songs. However, Hotel California is legendary and probably one of the best rock ‘n roll songs ever recorded. It deserves to win this competition, and it looks like it will. I would vote for it to win if necessary. However, in order to keep the vote close (as it should be) ….

05-18-2007, 08:00 PM
And now for the final results! It’s time to celebrate with the pink champagne on ice because , with 9 votes, the winner of Hotel California Survivor is..…

HOTEL CALIFORNIA!

Votes
Hotel California – 9
New Kid in Town – 6

Vote Breakdown
Hotel California – Maleah
Hotel California – SweetHolly
Hotel California – Freypower
Hotel California – glenneaglesfan
Hotel California – timfan
Hotel California – DonFan
Hotel California – Brooke
Hotel California – Randy’s Girl
Hotel California – Selena
New Kid in Town – Perfect Little Sister
New Kid in Town – Mrs. Frey
New Kid in Town – GlennsAllnighter
New Kid in Town – SodaScouts
New Kid in Town – EasyFeeling
New Kid in Town – Ive always been a dreamer

Songs eliminated:
The Last Resort 05/06
Wasted Time 05/10
Victim of Love 05/12
Try and Love Again 05/14
New Kid in Town 05/18

Congrats, Hotel California!

To celebrate, listen to the Chicago 1979 audio download:
http://www.donhenleyonline.com/multimedia/MP3/HotelCaliforniaChicago79.mp3

… and watch the Houston 1976 video download:
http://www.donhenleyonline.com/multimedia/live/HotelCaliforniaHouston76.mpg

Thanks for playing everyone and hope you enjoyed the game.

SweetHolly
05-18-2007, 08:05 PM
Congrats to Hotel California! I enjoyed the game. :cheers: :grooving:

sodascouts
05-18-2007, 08:16 PM
Well, I may not have voted for it, but I can't say it doesn't deserve to win. Hotel California is a brilliant song.

Since I'm in a Henley/Nicks mode, you might also want to download Hotel California from Jones Beach 2005 that he sings with Stevie.

Download as .mpg (66 megs) (http://www.donhenleyonline.com/multimedia/live/HotelCaliforniaJonesBeach2005.mpg) :: Download as .wmv (15 megs) (http://www.donhenleyonline.com/multimedia/live/HotelCaliforniaJonesBeach2005.wmv)

Thank you so much for taking care of this for me, dreamer!

Freypower
05-18-2007, 08:28 PM
The HC screenshot history will start shortly in Henley Heaven. 8)

Maleah
05-19-2007, 12:55 AM
Well, I may not have voted for it, but I can't say it doesn't deserve to win. Hotel California is a brilliant song.

Since I'm in a Henley/Nicks mode, you might also want to download Hotel California from Jones Beach 2005 that he sings with Stevie.

Download as .mpg (66 megs) (http://www.donhenleyonline.com/multimedia/live/HotelCaliforniaJonesBeach2005.mpg) :: Download as .wmv (15 megs) (http://www.donhenleyonline.com/multimedia/live/HotelCaliforniaJonesBeach2005.wmv)

Thank you so much for taking care of this for me, dreamer!

Aww I loved that Don/Stevie one Soda! I'd never seen it before! I loved the little smiles back and forth :D :D :D

SweetHolly
05-19-2007, 01:01 AM
Aww I loved that Don/Stevie one Soda! I'd never seen it before! I loved the little smiles back and forth :D :D :D
I loved it too. They're always so cute together. :D

EasyFeeling
05-19-2007, 04:44 AM
Terrific video !!! Thank you for the download, Soda. :D

glenneaglesfan
05-19-2007, 04:27 PM
Congratulations to Hotel California. A deserved win! This is the first song that brought my attention to the Eagles, and it has lost nothing over the years[/list]

05-19-2007, 11:36 PM
Congrats again to Hotel California for a well deserved win. I think the final outcome of the game was inevitable, but it was still fun to play. After all, as I said before this is one of the greatest songs on one of the greatest albums in rock 'n roll history. I love the download with Stevie and Don, Soda, but I'll alway prefer the original version of this song with just Don. I can't think of any song that is so 'custom-made' for one man's voice. NO ONE can sing this song like Don Henley can, IMHO (except of course, William Hung) . :wink: :wink: :wink:

New Kid in Town is a very worthy runner up. I'm going to go out on a limb and say if this song were on any of the other Eagles album, it quite possibly would come out at or near the top every time in this game. It is definately one of their best songs. FP, said it is Glenn's finest hour. I think it is close, but I'm still leaning toward Heartache Tonight as Glenn's best.

Again, as has been the trend, there were only a few surprizes for me, and they were in the middle rounds of the game. Looking forward to the start of the next Survivor game in the coming weeks.