PDA

View Full Version : Alan Jackson

VAisForEagleLovers
05-21-2012, 12:29 AM
Tonight I went to the Alan Jackson concert in Mineral, VA. It was in the parking lot of the Louisa County High School, so it was 'bring your own chair' and do not 'bring your own beer'.

It was a great concert, and he played for exactly two hours, including one encore. This concert came about because he and his record company (Capitol/EMI, I think) announced a contest where the town with the most votes would get a free concert. Many from the area promoted it and people from all over the country voted for it. You didn't have to pay for a ticket, but you could if you wanted to, and all the proceeds went towards the Louisa County Education Fund. The promoters paid for the fuel and mileage of the school buses used as shuttle buses.

As most of you may remember, Louisa County Virginia was the epicenter of the East Coast earthquake last August, and there have been at least 35 aftershocks since then. Most of the school buildings have been condemned due to damage. Insurance doesn't cover earthquake damage, and state and federal aid haven't come close to being what's needed to tear down and start over. The students have been going to school in trailers/modulars, and change classes in the snow and rain. It's a sad situation, and tonight's concert raised over $150,000. Several corporate sponsors donated more, plus food to the local foodbanks.

This is the link to my photobucket account for those who may wish to see the pictures I took.
http://s1200.photobucket.com/albums/bb328/vernakrose/Alan%20Jackson%20Mineral%20VA%20May%2020/

And here is one pic just because... (you can see one of the trailers used as classrooms on the left)
http://i1200.photobucket.com/albums/bb328/vernakrose/Alan%20Jackson%20Mineral%20VA%20May%2020/DSC00439.jpg

zeldabjr
05-21-2012, 01:01 AM
Hi VK...thanks for the pics...I've always liked Alan Jackson...seems like a really nice guy...I never knew any of this stuff about the schools...really terrible for those kids...glad you had fun...got any other concerts coming up that you're going to???

VAisForEagleLovers
05-21-2012, 01:04 AM
Hi VK...thanks for the pics...I've always liked Alan Jackson...seems like a really nice guy...I never knew any of this stuff about the schools...really terrible for those kids...glad you had fun...got any other concerts coming up that you're going to???

HaHa! Can't think of any! Time to set my sights on Timothy!

TimothyBFan
05-21-2012, 08:37 AM
Glad you enjoyed it VA. As all of you know, his music is not my cup of tea but when he first got popular I use to tell everyone he was my favorite Country singer to watch.... as long as I muted the sound. Mighty fine to look at. Do love the song and video with Jimmy Buffet for It's Five O'Clock Somewhere.

We went down to the Gatlinburg, Pigeon Forge Tennessee area in the mid to late 90s and he had a restaurant down there. So I made hubby and the kids go with me for lunch one afternoon. Everywhere you looked were pictures, videos, etc... of him. Hubby called it the "I'm Alan Jackson and I love myself restaurant". :laugh:

cheryl
05-21-2012, 09:31 PM
Thanks for the story and the pictures. I am a huge Alan Jackson and belong to his fan club. Five years ago I won front row seats when he played here in Indiana. Came away with his autograph and guitar pick.

VAisForEagleLovers
05-21-2012, 09:52 PM
Thanks for the story and the pictures. I am a huge Alan Jackson and belong to his fan club. Five years ago I won front row seats when he played here in Indiana. Came away with his autograph and guitar pick.

He definitely did a lot of autographs during the show and tossed a lot of guitar picks and t-shirts!

Brooke
05-22-2012, 10:01 AM
What a nice thing for a super star to do! I think AJ is a really nice man and so very humble! I remember a few years ago when it was 'his time' he would win just about every award given on some of the tv country music awards shows and he would be so sincere and humble about it all. He finally said one time that he thought some of the other artists should win and that he had won enough!

Glad you enjoyed the show VA! Love his music! His Christmas special a few years ago was one of the best ever!