PDA

View Full Version : Remedies for warding off colds

sodascouts
05-23-2012, 02:53 PM
I'd like to get advice on this from as many people as possible! What do you eat/drink/take to ward off a cold?

VAisForEagleLovers
05-23-2012, 02:57 PM
I'd like to get advice on this from as many people as possible! What do you eat/drink/take to ward off a cold?

My mother swears by Zicam for a cold, works best if taken in the first 48 hours. I've never tried it, thank God, I haven't had a cold in years. I did have the flu this year and it didn't work for that.

Windeagle
05-23-2012, 03:04 PM
My husband swears by the Cold-Eze zinc cough drops. Again, they work best if you take them early. They taste horrible, but they're effective.

VAisForEagleLovers
05-23-2012, 03:26 PM
Zi-Cam is zinc based, too. Sounds like zinc in some form is winning...

zeldabjr
05-23-2012, 04:38 PM
My sister swears by zinc..but I've never tried it.

EaglesKiwi
05-24-2012, 06:20 AM
Vitamin C as well (and a daily dose of vitamin B probably woudn't hurt either). I usually go with a lower dose of Vit-C but take it frequently when a cold is coming on.

Chicken soup is good too (although for some reason my Mother-in-law's chicken soup is better than mine...).

Brooke
05-24-2012, 09:22 AM
I would try the zicam. I tried it a couple years ago and it seemed to help.

Glennsallnighter
05-25-2012, 03:09 AM
Echinacea can be good too in the early stages, and it's taste is quite pleasant too. I got a nasal spray before Niagara Falls last year which warded off a cold very easily. Problem was that after taking it it made me incredibly giddy! I was laughing at the silliest things! :lol::lol::lol:

Victim of Love
05-25-2012, 11:42 AM
I'll swear by zinc! I actually take it regularly but especially during cold weather. If I DO happen to get a cold I use Zicam. I also get a flu shot every year and pneumonia vaccine every five years because I used to get killer walking pneumonia twice a year. But since I started using the zinc routinely I haven't had any serious colds in years!

sodascouts
05-25-2012, 12:26 PM
I've been using all of these except Echinacea because I couldn't find it. Right now, I still have a cough, but it's a minor one, and I only sneeze occasionally. I will do my darndest to supress any cough that tries to rise up during the Wiltern show!

GlennLover
05-25-2012, 04:40 PM
Echinacea can be good too in the early stages, and it's taste is quite pleasant too. I got a nasal spray before Niagara Falls last year which warded off a cold very easily. Problem was that after taking it it made me incredibly giddy! I was laughing at the silliest things! :lol::lol::lol:

Oh yea, blame it on the echinacea! It had nothing to do with the excitement of seeing 2 shows by a certain HS&G Eagle! :grin:

VAisForEagleLovers
05-26-2012, 10:18 PM
I don't think the ZiCam worked....

lizzyplays
05-29-2012, 09:18 PM
I take (drink) one Emergen-C packet per day. All of the Californian's that I used to work for, swore by it. It seems to keep colds at bay until I run out or forget to take one, then I feel like I get swarmed by every germ within a 100 foot radius. I do believe that it actually keeps me going when I feel sluggish or am getting over a severe cold or something. Then again, it could be the old placebo thing at work....

sodascouts
06-02-2012, 07:53 PM
Sadly, none of these got rid of my cold in time for the "big night" but thankfully, I was able to ward off any sneezing and coughing during the show by guzzling water every time I had the urge to do so. It worked! Disaster averted!