PDA

View Full Version : computers

Pages : [1] 2

zeldabjr
05-23-2012, 04:56 PM
I need a new computer...can't decide whether to get another desktop or go just to a laptop...some people are telling me to wait and just get a "tablet" because they're the future...very confused now...any thoughts from Border friends...

Windeagle
05-23-2012, 05:01 PM
I need a new computer...can't decide whether to get another desktop or go just to a laptop...some people are telling me to wait and just get a "tablet" because they're the future...very confused now...any thoughts from Border friends...

My first question would be do you prefer Apple or PC? And what do you generally do with it?

zeldabjr
05-23-2012, 06:42 PM
My first question would be do you prefer Apple or PC? And what do you generally do with it?

I have never used an Apple...as for what I do with it...just personal stuff I guess...thinking of going back to school...would need it for that...

TimothyBFan
05-24-2012, 07:34 AM
I prefer laptops. So easy to port around to wherever you need to be. I would think especially for school that this would be handy. My kids both have Apple laptops for school and rave about them. I've never had one so wouldn't know. I'm pretty happy with my Compaq.

prayfordaylight
05-24-2012, 08:45 AM
I have a PC laptop (which isn't very portable - 17" and very heavy) and an iPad. It's a very good working combo for me. The laptop does things the iPad is not capable of but when traveling, I usually only need the iPad for the basics.

Brooke
05-24-2012, 09:17 AM
I have a Mac desk top and would never have another one! I mean never! Not to say it hasn't been a good one, because it has, but I'm always running in to places that it isn't compatible. Some sites don't work with a mac. Maybe it's because I just don't know how to work it, but I've tried my hardest!

If I ever get to get a new one it will be a microsoft based laptop.

Victim of Love
05-24-2012, 11:31 AM
I've got a laptop (Compaq/HP) desktop and a laptop (Toshiba) and use them interchangably depending on what I'm doing. IMO it isn't so much about hardware as software...I can transfer from one to the other without a problem. I've considered getting a tablet because they really a very portable and easy to take along but I've tried the one my aunt has and wasn't exactly 'over the moon' with it.

While my laptop works fine, I'd never get another Toshiba but that's just me. Best advise I can throw out there is to go out and check out your different options until you find something you really like.

VAisForEagleLovers
05-24-2012, 02:34 PM
You already have a desktop, so it's possible that buying a new one, you only need to replace the CPU, and keep the mouse, keyboard, and display you already have, which is the cheapest option you have. So cheap, in fact, that for the price of a good laptop, you might be able to get a good CPU AND a tablet.

For myself, software geek that I am, I go crazy without one of my laptops. Since I went straight to Glenn's concert at Town Hall from Penn Station, I didn't take my laptop with me and it's literally the first time I've traveled without a laptop in about ten years. I use Lenovo (formerly IBM) only because they are more ruggedized than other brands and can handle the travel. I have to use PC-based machines due to the work that I do. As for tablets, I've found they are not user friendly when it comes to typing anything. Games and reading are fine, but if you want to type out a long email (or concert review!) it's very frustrating. I can honestly say after buying a new Droid Razr phone (big display yet very thin), I don't really see the need for a tablet at all anymore.

So...like others have said, it depends on what you want it for on what's best for you.

Glennsallnighter
05-25-2012, 03:18 AM
Like P4D I have a 17" HP laptop at home. It is too cumbersome to travel so I usually just bring my iPad. I don't think you could use a tablet without having a computer as well. I have a little net book at work which stays there, and I only do school related stuff on it. That's because it's predecessor was stolen from a secure staff room last year.

I'm interested in what you say about macs Brooke, since I had it in mind for my next upgrade. Now you are making me think.

EaglesKiwi
05-25-2012, 07:02 AM
Write down a list of things you'd like to use it for and anything that you particularly want or that bugs you, & take it with you when you look at your options. I personally will only consider a full-size keyboard - I'm a touch typist and can't cope with being slowed down by piddly little keys.

Also think about what functionality you have on your cellphone and/or whether you are likely to be upgrading that. I have just got a new phone (the Galaxy SII - which has since been superseded, but I'm happy with my model), and I'm gobsmacked by what they can do now.

There are very lightweight, powerful laptops available now that are way more portable than they used to be (my 6 year old laptop is VERY heavy), and probably have higher specs than your existing desktop.

lizzyplays
06-02-2012, 12:18 PM
Like everyone else has already said, it really depends on your own personal needs and what you will do with it. As VA pointed out, any kind of typing in great length is a total PITA unless done with a laptop or PC keyboard. For basic reading and research, tablets are fine as are any number of smart phones. In a perfect world, I would just own one of everything, but if I had to choose over laptop or PC and could only have one, I would take the laptop because at least it's portable. I would also choose laptop over tablet because it can do more things (that I like to do). I had a large laptop too, and as cumbersome as it was, I still lugged it with me everywhere that I went. It's almost impossible to not find wifi spots these days unless you visit my friend Nettie out at Taylor's Crossroads, NC. :hilarious:

zeldabjr
06-03-2012, 08:20 PM
Thanks for all the input...hate to spend money on stuff that will be outdated in six months...but I guess that's the nature of the beast with technology...but have some good ideas now...thanks again!

Brooke
06-12-2012, 04:39 PM
Another question here as I'm thinking about getting a new computer too, probably a laptop.

How much memory and ram (???) do I need for basic personal stuff, itunes, dvd watching, etc?

WalshFan88
06-12-2012, 05:10 PM
Another question here as I'm thinking about getting a new computer too, probably a laptop.

How much memory and ram (???) do I need for basic personal stuff, itunes, dvd watching, etc?

These days to be honest I'd recommend at least 4GB... Even stuff like YouTube eats it up... Personally I'd go for 8GB - that's what I use in my iMac. I don't use a laptop anymore (use an iPad) but if I did I'd get 4GB. 8GB is standard on most new desktops, 4GB for laptops. Don't get 2GB. It's not enough in today's world IMO even for simple browsing/email. If you wanted a supercomputer desktop model (which it sounds like you don't) then even 16GB is not really overkill IMO. But my general rule is 8 for desktops, 4 for laptops. 8GB is preferred.

VAisForEagleLovers
06-12-2012, 06:06 PM
My laptop has 8GB of RAM. When you start running out of RAM, your system gets slower. Every single operating system update slowly uses up more and more RAM, so unless you plan on getting a new laptop every year, go big. In my opinion! 'Basic personal stuff' might sound small, but on my last laptop (a 32-bit Vista machine), opening a PDF file for the User Manual for my camera could tax it. Granted, I use my laptop for work, but I hadn't planned on that when I bought it (I have a PC at the office I can access remotely, but it has less of everything and drives me crazy). The only thing I thought about getting and didn't was a solid state hard drive, but determined I could buy two new hard drives for the cost of upgrading to one solid state one. So I do back-ups often because this one will die soon since it's a year old and I leave it running 24x7.

zeldabjr
06-12-2012, 11:13 PM
still can't decide whether I want to do away with my desktop and go only with a laptop...I like my desktop because of the 20"monitor...or maybe I'll to one of those all in ones you can move around easily...any ideas on those...would love to hear...:dizzy:

EaglesKiwi
06-13-2012, 05:44 AM
Remember you can plug your laptop into the bigger monitor when you are at home.:)

Brooke
06-13-2012, 10:05 AM
Ok, thanks for the recommendations guys! I really appreciate it.

Another thing, how do I go about getting my itunes off my mac and on to a new windows machine?

Glennsallnighter
06-13-2012, 11:13 AM
I'm not quite sure Brooke, but I think I saved all my iTunes to the desktop. Then I put them on a memory stick. When I got my new machine I transferred them over, logged into iTunes using my original account and then reloaded the music into iTunes. A bit cumbersome. I wonder would iCloud be an option for you? Ie save everything on iCloud and then pull it down onto your new machine. But seek advice. Don't take what I say as written. I'd hate you to lose anything.

prayfordaylight
06-13-2012, 11:28 AM
I ended up using a program to rip everything from my iPod back onto my new computer. Again, not ideal, but it worked for me since everything I had on iTunes was on my iPod anyway.

zeldabjr
06-13-2012, 04:24 PM
Remember you can plug your laptop into the bigger monitor when you are at home.:)

Really? omg that would be awesome!

WalshFan88
06-13-2012, 10:41 PM
Ok, thanks for the recommendations guys! I really appreciate it.

Another thing, how do I go about getting my itunes off my mac and on to a new windows machine?

There is an iTunes library folder that you can copy to the iTunes folder on the new PC. :)

Hate to see you leaving the good side though. :D I'm a Mac guy all the way - iMac and iPad for me! And if US Cellular ever gets the iPhone I'll have that too so I can ditch my POS HTC Android! :D I'm stuck with USC due to where I live. I'm an avid Steve Jobs follower - one of my heroes. I bought into his "cult" a long time ago. First computer I ever touched was an Apple. The first computer I ever owned was a Mac and have used Macs/iPods/iPads ever since I was little.

lizzyplays
06-13-2012, 10:56 PM
There is an iTunes library folder that you can copy to the iTunes folder on the new PC. :)

Hate to see you leaving the good side though. :D I'm a Mac guy all the way - iMac and iPad for me! And if US Cellular ever gets the iPhone I'll have that too so I can ditch my POS HTC Android! :D I'm stuck with USC due to where I live. I'm an avid Steve Jobs follower - one of my heroes. I bought into his "cult" a long time ago. First computer I ever touched was an Apple. The first computer I ever owned was a Mac and have used Macs/iPods/iPads ever since I was little.

Shouldn't you be doing 'vacationy' things instead of posting on forums, Austin??? :p:nahnah::hilarious:

Brooke
08-02-2012, 09:39 AM
Ok, so to move my itunes on my mac can I move them all to a flash drive and then plug that in to my new pc or laptop? How big of a flash drive do I need. I think I have around 1500 songs on my mac itunes.

GlennLover
08-02-2012, 01:41 PM
Does anybody have a Blackberry Playbook? If so, I'd like to hear your comments, pro & con.

Topkat
08-02-2012, 02:01 PM
Ok, so to move my itunes on my mac can I move them all to a flash drive and then plug that in to my new pc or laptop? How big of a flash drive do I need. I think I have around 1500 songs on my mac itunes.

When I got a new computer, I just plugged in my ipod & it was all on my itunes. I did not have to transfer anything. It was all there.

Brooke
08-02-2012, 03:49 PM
Ah ha! Thanks Tk!

I'm still undecided about a laptop or pc. I don't really need a laptop. I just think they are cool. I don't travel that much that I would need to take it with me. Will a laptop last as long as a desktop?

Topkat
08-02-2012, 04:01 PM
Ah ha! Thanks Tk!

I'm still undecided about a laptop or pc. I don't really need a laptop. I just think they are cool. I don't travel that much that I would need to take it with me. Will a laptop last as long as a desktop?

I am on my 3rd laptop, but I bought my first one around 1994. I do think they last pretty long. I just got a new one because I needed to update.
The best thing about a laptop is that if you have a problem with it, you can easily just bring it someplace to be fixed, rather than have to get someone to come to your house to fix it. You also have the option to take it anywhere easily. I would highly recommend getting a laptop. Just my opinion.

Topkat
08-02-2012, 04:28 PM
Brooke, another great thing about the laptop is that when you are wireless, you can go out on your deck or patio to work out side, I often go on my terrace to work or I can even take it up to my roof pool because they have wi-fi up there. Also just take anyplace in your house, very easily. Do consider it :thumbsup:

zeldabjr
08-02-2012, 04:38 PM
I actually just got home from the store...bought a laptop to replace my desktop...very excited..:)

Brooke
08-02-2012, 04:39 PM
Ok! Thanks Tk!

Zelda, I'm :jealous: What kind did you get?

Topkat
08-02-2012, 07:03 PM
I actually just got home from the store...bought a laptop to replace my desktop...very excited..:)

Congratulations Zelda! Now you can go vote over in Timothy's Survivor game!

GlennLover
08-02-2012, 07:06 PM
Congrats! I love my laptop!

Witchy Woman
08-02-2012, 11:56 PM
Laptops are so much better because they allow you the freedom of portability. You're not tied to a tertiary position because of the RJ-45 hookup. I can sit where I want to in my house on my computer. Make sure you have a good, strong router that allows for longer distances, and password protect it. I sell computers, and we carry very few desktops anymore.

WalshFan88
08-03-2012, 12:40 AM
I am on my 3rd laptop, but I bought my first one around 1994.

:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

I'm lucky if a laptop lasts 3 years for me... Not the software but the hardware. I'm pretty rough with my laptops though - I take them all over, eat around them, and use them constantly.

I'm getting ready to buy a new one next month. MacBook Air 13 inch probably. I'm a Mac guy - I use a current model iMac for my main machine but I really want something more better for typing than my iPad for times when I need apps or to do lots of typing. As of right now I just have the iPad and my iMac.

Topkat
08-03-2012, 10:00 AM
I stand corrected. This is my 4th laptop! So that's 4 in 18 years. I guess that's not too bad. They seemed to have each lasted over 4 years. The older ones did not have the memory that the ones they have today do. My first one was a 486! That is ancient. It was an IBM Thinkpad & it cost a fortune, if I remember correctly... I had some strange programs on there too, like Lotus123. Do you remember that one! LOL:hilarious:

zeldabjr
08-03-2012, 06:16 PM
Ok! Thanks Tk!

Zelda, I'm :jealous: What kind did you get?

I ended up getting a 17" Toshiba...

Topkat
08-03-2012, 08:40 PM
I'm sure you will love it Zelda! Hope you are enjoying your new toy!:thumbsup:

zeldabjr
08-04-2012, 01:45 AM
I'm sure you will love it Zelda! Hope you are enjoying your new toy!:thumbsup:

not quite yet...came with no user manual...I don't even know how long to charge the battery...hope I can find the manual online....and I forgot to buy a wireless router...can you tell I'm not very tech savvy?:hilarious:

Topkat
08-04-2012, 07:49 AM
Zelda, just plug it in, that will charge the battery. There will be an indicator on the screen to let you know when it is fully charged.

Ive always been a dreamer
08-04-2012, 02:27 PM
Good luck with your new laptop, zelda. I've always just had a desktop at home, although I've used a laptop for work for several years. I just bought my first personal laptop a few months ago, and I am really enjoying it for the most part, although I don't think I'll ever like typing on laptop keyboards. For my work laptops, I always plug in a regular keyboard and mouse - they work much better for me.

zeldabjr
08-17-2012, 12:36 AM
I am loving my new laptop...really notice the speed...still trying to get used to using the touchpad instead of a mouse but I kind of like it...I watched Farewell I on it tonight...can't believe how clear the picture is...much more so than my tv...think I really need to upgrade my tv now!

WalshFan88
08-17-2012, 12:56 AM
Glad to hear you like it!

To keep that "like new" speed, try running a temp files cleaner every so often to keep it clean. I recommend JetClean by BlueSprig or CCleaner by Piriform. CCleaner used to be my go to until this week when I learned about JetClean - a bit more in depth. Click scan, and then fix all issue and you are good to go.

zeldabjr
08-17-2012, 01:26 PM
Glad to hear you like it!

To keep that "like new" speed, try running a temp files cleaner every so often to keep it clean. I recommend JetClean by BlueSprig or CCleaner by Piriform. CCleaner used to be my go to until this week when I learned about JetClean - a bit more in depth. Click scan, and then fix all issue and you are good to go.

I have CCleaner on my desktop and it really has helped, but I will try the JetClean on my new toy thanks

Brooke
08-17-2012, 02:07 PM
I use Spybot. Is that like JetClean?

WalshFan88
08-17-2012, 06:22 PM
I use Spybot. Is that like JetClean?

That's for malware. JetClean cleans outdated and cluttered cache files and empty registry keys to speed up the PC.

This is JetClean: http://www.bluesprig.com/jetclean.html

zeldabjr
08-20-2012, 09:57 PM
alright computer people...what is malware...I have installed Kaspersky antivirus...do I need something else?:confused:

WalshFan88
08-20-2012, 10:33 PM
alright computer people...what is malware...I have installed Kaspersky antivirus...do I need something else?:confused:

Kaspersky is my favorite AV. Malware is sort of my "speciality". It's what I do on computers most often is remove malware.

Malware is one word that viruses, adware, spyware, worms, keyloggers, rootkits, trojan horses, etc fall under...

As long as you only have Kaspersky and nothing else running with it by accident it should be good. Whenever you install an AV uninstall any that are already on there or they will cancel each other out.

Also I like to recommend downloading MalwareBytes Anti-Malware to have to scan with monthly to make sure Kaspersky is doing it's job.

There are some other tools I use to remove malware that I can recommend should you ever get a virus/malware on the computer. I have about 1GB of removal tools I use to clean PC's and several bootable discs.

So my suggestions are as follows:

1) Ensure that only Kaspersky is installed (and that Norton, ESET, AVG, Avast, Avira, Microsoft Security Essentials, etc aren't installed.)
2) Make sure Kaspersky is up-to-date with the program software updates (not the daily automatic definition updates which should already be done but it wouldn't hurt to check those either).
3) Download MalwareBytes from malwarebytes.org and choose the free version and uncheck Free Trial at install (so you get the free version).
4) Ensure that all of your Windows Updates are installed and up-to-date. Go to the Start Menu > All Programs > Windows Update and hit "Check For Updates".
5) Lastly, employ safe browsing techniques and avoid foreign domains (.cn, de, etc - anything except .com, .net, .org, etc). Don't download something if you are unsure if it is safe or not. Use Google Chrome as your browser as it blocks most malware domains automatically. And also make sure you always choose "Save" instead of "Run" in Internet Explorer and certainly with email programs with attachments.

And possibly most importantly - backup EVERYTHING that is of even slight importance to you in more than one place. Perhaps on a flash drive, external USB hard drive, cloud solution (Google Drive is great as well as Microsoft SkyDrive, Dropbox, Box.net, etc), CD/DVD, etc. Pick two of those places at least. You can't be too redundant when it comes to precious data (documents, pictures, music, videos, contacts, favorites/bookmarks, etc). I recommend picking one online storage solution and one local solution (disc or drive).

That's my lecture I give every new PC owner that gets a new PC. :hilarious:

VAisForEagleLovers
08-21-2012, 09:48 AM
Using a cloud solution is a good idea for back-ups. Don't do what I do. I have my full backups on an external drive. In addition, I have my documents that are important on my phone and on my Kindle. My music is on my external drive, this computer, and what's not also on the cloud is in CD form. Sounds great, right? All these things are sitting nearby, within fifteen feet of me. If a tornado or fire happens, I'm totally screwed.

I had a weird thing happen over the weekend. I got an email from a Facebook friend with the subject line FOR VERNA. I almost opened it. It looked like one of those emails you get when a friend is on a newspaper site and requests an article to be emailed to you. But what stopped me is that while this guy is a great friend, since I recently caught up with him I didn't remember giving him my email address and it's not visible on my FB profile. So I didn't open it and sent him a message. He hadn't sent it. Now, it could be another friend playing a joke by randomly picking one of my FB friends, or it could contain malicious links. So I didn't open it, I deleted it and then removed it from the Deleted Files folder.

I use Norton/Symantec and one thing I like about them is that even if you have your virus definitions totally up to date, if you have a question you can call them. They have the software that isn't released yet and can scan your computer remotely with updates that haven't even been released yet, plus the expertise that can be applied only on a one-on-one basis. I should have called them before removing the email and got their opinion on it. People calling with questions is one method they all have in finding out about new viruses and other forms of malware.

08-21-2012, 08:30 PM
Very interesting stuff. I have a question about the JetClean software. Does anyone know what JetClean does for you that the Disk Cleanup and Disk Defragmenter systems tools already on computer don't do? I'm confused about what the differences are. I'd appreciate if anyone can shed some light on this for me.

VAisForEagleLovers
08-21-2012, 08:56 PM
Very interesting stuff. I have a question about the JetClean software. Does anyone know what JetClean does for you that the Disk Cleanup and Disk Defragmenter systems tools already on computer don't do? I'm confused about what the differences are. I'd appreciate if anyone can shed some light on this for me.

Austin will have more details, but basically with JetClean and CClean, it removes your cache. Which does slow down your machine if you have a lot of it. However, some things are important. A local company ran it on my other machine and suddenly I couldn't log in to do my timesheets anymore because the domain disappeared and I didn't remember what it was. I also lost a lot of websites because I didn't have them bookmarked, I relied on cache.

Commercial products of Disk Defragmenter are said to do a better job than the resident Windows tool. I can't remember if JetClean and others do that or not.

WalshFan88
08-21-2012, 09:42 PM

It basically cleans the disk and the registry. Some are opposed to registry cleaning, but most support it especially since any decent cleaner makes a backup. It's the pay-for registry cleaners that are snakeoil. But good cleaners like CCleaner, JetClean, Eusing, Auslogics, etc are NOT snakeoil and do a great job at speeding up the PC. Also registry defraggers like Auslogics or Quicksys are highly recommended to be ran AFTER the cleaning. Those are separate programs - just like disk defrag (Auslogics, Puran, Defraggler, etc). The only pay for cleaner/defragger all in one I would ever consider paying for is Auslogics BoostSpeed. Auslogics makes great software that really makes a difference and isn't a gimmick.

VA is right in that you don't want to clear your websites if you don't have the remembered or bookmarked but I find that running JetClean or CCleaner really dramatically speeds up the PC.

With JetClean you hit one button and it does both the disk and the registry at the same time - with CCleaner it is two separate cleaners in one program. I find JetClean is a bit more in depth and better for removing more types of junk. Just make sure you remember your logins and then run JetClean... Unless you are really sure about what you are doing - I recommend leaving the default settings and not changing the cleaning protocol. I typically will customize it for people on a case-by-case basis but even default clean is better than no clean at all.

WalshFan88
08-21-2012, 09:47 PM
Commercial products of Disk Defragmenter are said to do a better job than the resident Windows tool. I can't remember if JetClean and others do that or not.

Definitely true.

I recommend using separate tools for everything although programs like AdvancedSystemCare are ok.

My preferred "cocktail" changes as new stuff comes out but right now this is my protocol.

1) Run JetClean. Open the program, hit scan and repair all items.
2) Run Eusing Registry Cleaner to verify that all registry objects are cleaned. Repair all items.
3) Run Quicksys Reg Defrag to compact the registry now that empty holes are in the registry where they were cleaned. Reboot when asked.
4) Run Puran Defrag to defrag the hard drive. Boot time defrag is best but can be ran in Windows.
5) OPTIONAL - Run BleachBit to verify all files were cleaned. This also cleans old Prefetch data, old Windows Update files that are no longer needed, and other junk files that JetClean may not catch. It is optional but recommended.

08-21-2012, 10:21 PM
However, some things are important. A local company ran it on my other machine and suddenly I couldn't log in to do my timesheets anymore because the domain disappeared and I didn't remember what it was.

Thanks for the info VA and Austin. However, what you said here, VA is what concerns me about using these applications. I have no idea what should be maintained and what can be deleted. I'm reluctant to try these for that reason.

zeldabjr
08-21-2012, 10:58 PM
okay guys...I'm very confused...I installed the MalwarBytes last night but it says "trial" next to the name...thought I did it right so I got the free version...but?

and what is "cache"....what is "registry"....I am taking some computer classes free at the local library but so much of this is still greek to me!

we talked about "defrag" today in the class but...??

VAisForEagleLovers
08-22-2012, 09:15 AM
Zelda, cache is what's kept in the computer's memory. For instance, if you go to your preferred browser and start typing in the address for a website you go to often, usually a dropdown appears with a list of all web addresses you've ever typed in and instead of continuing to type you can move down and select the one you want. When you remove your cache, you won't get those web addresses in the list. Technically, you should have each website you visit often bookmarked or in Favorites, but I get lazy about it.

What I mentioned about my timesheet is that when the page came up, certain things were already prefilled, like my employee number and the domain name. Other websites come up with my username prefilled. This is all in cache.

As I said, having too much in cache will slow your computer down. Removing it will speed it up. In addition, and this is important to remember, some items in cache can be a security issue. If you get hacked and the hacker accesses your cache, having your username is half the battle. You've given him half of the information he needs to get into one of your accounts. So there are other reasons to remove cache besides speed. My advice is to remember your usernames and passwords. Bookmark your websites. Use Chrome if you can't remember a full web address, since its dropdown gives a list of known websites that match your input and not just websites you've entered in the past.

Zelda, you have a new computer and you have a long time before it'll begin to slow down. So you have time to take your courses and learn stuff. I'd pay more attention right now to whatever they say about security first, then think about speed later.

In most computers, it's all the updates from Windows that take up space and slow the thing down, and you can't get rid of them. One thing you can do, if you have an older operating system, is to reload the OS and then apply the service packs that have been issued, then the updates since the last service pack. Unless you are an expert with computers, I'd recommend having this professionally done. It's time consuming and needs to be done all at once as your computer is vulnerable until it's all loaded. Generally, though, once your computer reaches this point, it's a better idea to replace it. Reloading the OS and starting over is no trivial thing. Upgrading to a new OS always breaks a device driver or four, and I've never found a professional that was able to do it correctly. Every time I do it myself I swear I'll never do it again.

zeldabjr
08-22-2012, 10:00 AM
thanks VA...I promise not to talk about computers in AC...only about the handsome men!

VAisForEagleLovers
08-22-2012, 10:08 AM
thanks VA...I promise not to talk about computers in AC...only about the handsome men!

I don't mind talking about computers! I prefer talking about how wonderful my teams are, but I imagine you won't like that conversation. Of course I'm always up for talking about our handsome men. But computers are my second language, so to speak...

Brooke
08-22-2012, 10:53 AM
Austin and VA, thanks so much for all of your info and help here! You guys are great! It's so nice of you to take the time for this! :thumbsup:

WalshFan88
08-22-2012, 04:36 PM
okay guys...I'm very confused...I installed the MalwarBytes last night but it says "trial" next to the name...thought I did it right so I got the free version...but?

and what is "cache"....what is "registry"....I am taking some computer classes free at the local library but so much of this is still greek to me!

we talked about "defrag" today in the class but...??

That's ok. It will run out after 30 days and still be free. It's just that they offer real time protection rather than just scanning in the trial.

Registry is hard to explain. Basically all programs insert a key in the registry and when you remove a program it doesn't always remove that key and empty keys can slow you down.

http://kb.iu.edu/data/aeof.html

WalshFan88
08-22-2012, 04:41 PM
In most computers, it's all the updates from Windows that take up space and slow the thing down, and you can't get rid of them. One thing you can do, if you have an older operating system, is to reload the OS and then apply the service packs that have been issued, then the updates since the last service pack. Unless you are an expert with computers, I'd recommend having this professionally done. It's time consuming and needs to be done all at once as your computer is vulnerable until it's all loaded. Generally, though, once your computer reaches this point, it's a better idea to replace it. Reloading the OS and starting over is no trivial thing. Upgrading to a new OS always breaks a device driver or four, and I've never found a professional that was able to do it correctly. Every time I do it myself I swear I'll never do it again.

BleachBit is a great way to delete the update installer files left over that take up gigs. It's a free program.

zeldabjr
09-20-2012, 02:29 AM
I'm trying to learn to do screen caps and am using trial of Snag It...but I'm wondering how everyone else does theirs...anyone ever heard of JING?...a program to do screen caps that's free...

VAisForEagleLovers
09-20-2012, 07:49 AM
I'm trying to learn to do screen caps and am using trial of Snag It...but I'm wondering how everyone else does theirs...anyone ever heard of JING?...a program to do screen caps that's free...

As a freebie, I use MWSnap. I have SnagIt, and it does far more as far as editing pictures. I need it for word, so I need something that will take captures of part of the screen you don't see, menu items that tend to disappear with other capture tools. For my signature, I used the transparency settings for softer edges. Of course, I'm lucky in that my company paid for it.

Brooke
09-20-2012, 04:16 PM
A question about anti-virus, my free version of Norton is about up. Is there a free version of Kaspersky or is AVG good enough?

Also, I keep selecting the button on this site to keep me logged in, but it doesn't. I have to log in every time. I must need to change some setting on my computer?

zeldabjr
09-20-2012, 05:15 PM
A question about anti-virus, my free version of Norton is about up. Is there a free version of Kaspersky or is AVG good enough?

Also, I keep selecting the button on this site to keep me logged in, but it doesn't. I have to log in every time. I must need to change some setting on my computer?

at the computer class I just took on computer maintenance...the instructor highly recommends the free AVG!...

sodascouts
09-20-2012, 06:30 PM
The virus that killed my desktop wasn't stopped by Kaspersky, but AVG got it. Go with AVG!

Glennsallnighter
09-20-2012, 06:45 PM
We have had AVG on our desktop for 6 or 7 years now and have never had an infection. Our computer guy at work swears by it too. The only people I ever heard diss it was the sales guy where I bought this laptop abd he recemmended Bullguard instead. But hey, he was trying to make a sale!

Brooke
09-20-2012, 09:47 PM
We have been using AVG at work and haven't had any trouble, so I wondered what you all thought of it. Good!

WalshFan88
09-21-2012, 01:44 AM
Of course all AVs have a chance of letting something by. I have to say I've had little to no trouble with Kaspersky, LOTS of trouble with Norton and Microsoft Security Essentials, and little trouble with Avast. AVG is sort of in the middle for me. It can be a RAM hog (same as MSE) or at least it used to be but protection was decent. Norton is by far my least favorite though. It slows everything way down and I can't tell you how many computers I've had to clean that were running Norton and got infected. One was so bad it had to get a new hard drive (boot sector ransom ware that couldn't be removed for some reason).

AVG is alright and I like what I see from the upcoming '13 version but I really like Avast the best for a free signature based AV. I also recommend Panda Cloud for those who are for whatever reason on a data plan because it doesn't have any updating but it does require internet connectivity to protect you. My grandma/stepgrandpa use this as they are on a small data plan and Kaspersky was pushing them too close to the limit in addition to their regular browsing.

VAisForEagleLovers
09-21-2012, 06:46 AM
Of course all AVs have a chance of letting something by. I have to say I've had little to no trouble with Kaspersky, LOTS of trouble with Norton and Microsoft Security Essentials, and little trouble with Avast. AVG is sort of in the middle for me. It can be a RAM hog (same as MSE) or at least it used to be but protection was decent. Norton is by far my least favorite though. It slows everything way down and I can't tell you how many computers I've had to clean that were running Norton and got infected. One was so bad it had to get a new hard drive (boot sector ransom ware that couldn't be removed for some reason).

AVG is alright and I like what I see from the upcoming '13 version but I really like Avast the best for a free signature based AV. I also recommend Panda Cloud for those who are for whatever reason on a data plan because it doesn't have any updating but it does require internet connectivity to protect you. My grandma/stepgrandpa use this as they are on a small data plan and Kaspersky was pushing them too close to the limit in addition to their regular browsing.

Austin, I've have the complete opposite results with Norton! In sixteen years of having computers at home, I've never once had a computer infected with anything (knock on wood!). I would never consider trying something else because of that. The one time I did get an infected email from a friend (I didn't open it), he'd let his Norton subscription lapse. He was having other issues (ironically, a real virus that had him stuck in bed) so I called Norton support for him to ask a question. Since I had received the email, they insisted on running a scan on my computer, then they sent themselves the email for analysis. It wasn't a known virus, but one that had recognizable signatures. When my friend was able, he called Norton Support, got his subscription up to date, and they took temporary control of his computer and cleaned it completely while he watched.

I get pop-ups and such at least once a month that something was caught and stopped. I really like the flexibility it has, and I really like how it works with Windows instead of butting heads with it. I like having the Norton icon on the search results when running a search that tells me which links are safe to click on, even though if I click on when using a browser that doesn't have the toolbar installed, Norton stops me from going further. I'm amazed at how many seemingly innocent links have malicious software imbedded in their pictures.

WalshFan88
09-21-2012, 06:55 AM
Austin, I've have the complete opposite results with Norton! In sixteen years of having computers at home, I've never once had a computer infected with anything (knock on wood!). I would never consider trying something else because of that. The one time I did get an infected email from a friend (I didn't open it), he'd let his Norton subscription lapse. He was having other issues (ironically, a real virus that had him stuck in bed) so I called Norton support for him to ask a question. Since I had received the email, they insisted on running a scan on my computer, then they sent themselves the email for analysis. It wasn't a known virus, but one that had recognizable signatures. When my friend was able, he called Norton Support, got his subscription up to date, and they took temporary control of his computer and cleaned it completely while he watched.

I get pop-ups and such at least once a month that something was caught and stopped. I really like the flexibility it has, and I really like how it works with Windows instead of butting heads with it. I like having the Norton icon on the search results when running a search that tells me which links are safe to click on, even though if I click on when using a browser that doesn't have the toolbar installed, Norton stops me from going further. I'm amazed at how many seemingly innocent links have malicious software imbedded in their pictures.

Consider yourself VERY lucky! :) I can't tell you how many problems with their software I've had over the years. Most computer places (other than big chain stores) don't recommend it. One of the biggest gripes is/was that it REALLY slows down the system and really is a CPU/RAM hog. The other being it's somewhat lacking protection (it's great when it has a signature for something but if it doesn't, which is more often than not - you are screwed.).

See it's funny because no antivirus is perfect. Soda got infected when using Kaspersky and I've had 0 infections for me and all of my clients that use it and I love it to death. There are things that can sneak by any program. But for me the resource usage plus the decent-at-best signatures kind of turn me off. I will say they are slowly getting better about the resource usage but back in 2009 I made LOTS of money removing Norton from PCs. Angry, angry people that paid money for something and were mad that it had to be removed but once they removed it and switched to either Kaspersky, Avast, or AVG they were MUCH happier.

One of the reasons I prefer Kaspersky is it's zero day component. If you configure it right, even if Kaspersky doesn't have a signature for something (which is rare as Kaspersky updates at least every few hours) - it will protect you with it's HIPS/Application Control part of the software. You can't rely on just signatures anymore. Malware is getting too good, too fast released, and all of that. You need a HIPS engine or sandboxing to really stay fully protected. Of course common sense browsing helps but sometimes things hide themselves VERY well.

VAisForEagleLovers
09-21-2012, 07:27 AM
As I learned in my CompTIA Security training last month is that Symantec (Norton) is one of the leaders in Zero day identifications. Kaspersky was mentioned ahead of McAfee (now that's a cpu hog). I've never noticed Norton taking up too much space or hogging my cpu performance except when it runs a full scan every night at 1:30. Since I'm usually in bed then, it's not a problem! Live Update runs at least once an hour (usually more), and it does background checks and smaller scans throughout the day. As you can see, since I never turn my computers off, I'm a bit freakish when it comes to security.

In order to get into my company's VPN, I need the latest version/updates of AV software in order to connect. The free versions aren't recognized as 'acceptable' and so I can't use those. My problem, and this would be true of any AV software and not just Norton, is getting the next update before my company does. Fortunately, after many complaints, they changed their configuration settings to be a certain update number 'or higher'.

Brooke
09-21-2012, 06:34 PM

Anybody know?

zeldabjr
09-21-2012, 07:11 PM
Anybody know?

I never thought much about it but now that you mention it...I have that button checked too and also have to log in every time...hmm?

VAisForEagleLovers
09-21-2012, 08:50 PM
I don't even see I button so I'm obviously no help.

Witchy Woman
09-22-2012, 08:13 PM
I'm so glad I don't need antivirus on my computer. I had so much trouble with my Dad's laptop and desktop. When he travels, he takes the one laptop with him, but it may not get used for several months. The hassle of having to scan for 3 hours for viruses you know it doesn't have, as it wasn't used, and also updating everything is too much for me. I use Kaspersky for the desktop and Webroot for the laptop ( I will change that to Kaspersky as well). It has worked well for us, but we all know no antivirus is 100 %.

As far as your login issue, I would recommend clearing your cookies, then trying again.

zeldabjr
09-25-2012, 09:51 PM
this may be a stupid question but here goes...I bought a new printer last year which is currently hooked up to my desktop computer...Now that I have a lap top I want the printer hooked to it ...my printer has wireless capability...What I want to know is...when I hook the printer up to be wireless to use with my laptop...will it still work with my desktop computer or won't I be able to print off that computer anymore? hope I'm making my question clear...

VAisForEagleLovers
09-26-2012, 08:52 AM
You have a wireless router, right? None of my printers have wireless capability, I have it connected to the router via cable. Anyway, if both computers and the laptop are on the network, either cabled in or wireless, then both computers will have access to the printer. You'll have to delete the printer from your desktop and re-install it. You probably connected to it via 'local' and now you need to connect to it via 'network'. The printer wizard will walk you through it.

WalshFan88
09-26-2012, 12:43 PM
If your printer is wireless:

Go to the computer the printer is installed on (which will be your base station so to speak).

Go to Control Panel and go to Printers. Depending on your OS it may be called "Devices and Printers".

Uninstall all printers that you either are A - going to reinstall or B - don't have anymore. Just right click and hit uninstall or choose it in the bar.

Then find your CD that came with the said wireless printer. If you don't have it - you need to download them from the site of the company that makes the printer. Normally a print wizard would work but if your printer doesn't know what wireless network/router to connect to, it won't show up. That's what the printer drivers and setup wizard is for.

Follow the prompts and choose wireless and go through the prompts.

Then on the 2nd computer - go do the Printers and add printer and look for "network" (not local) printers. Add the printer. If it's Vista or 7 it should download the drivers automatically if need be via Windows Update.

That should work. If your printer has never been wireless - you need the manufacturer setup wizard to turn that part on from my experience.

If you hook into the router from the printer with a USB cable you can ignore the manufacturer part, same as if you use printer sharing. But connecting your printer to a wireless signal from your router requires the wizard.

Glennsallnighter
09-27-2012, 12:30 PM
Is there an easy way to delete pictures from your Camera Roll or photostream on the iphone without having to manuslly delete them one by one? I have saved them to my computer and need to free up space. I don't use a mac (yet........ Hubby..... Christmas is coming.... hint).

WalshFan88
10-01-2012, 01:20 PM
Is there an easy way to delete pictures from your Camera Roll or photostream on the iphone without having to manuslly delete them one by one? I have saved them to my computer and need to free up space. I don't use a mac (yet........ Hubby..... Christmas is coming.... hint).

You can reset your Photo Stream by going into iCloud and it will delete everything in there.

Otherwise, no solution I'm aware of.

lizzyplays
10-01-2012, 04:54 PM

I just plug my iphone up to computer (as when you're saving them). And while the camera roll folder is still open (and after you're done saving), go to "Organize" drop down menu, then click on "Select All", then back up to the "Organize" menu, and select "Delete". This removes all the pics from the phone's camera roll. At least it works for me. Hope this helps!

VAisForEagleLovers
10-11-2012, 09:46 PM
For those who use Firefox, if you've upgraded to version 16, Mozilla is recommending you go back to version 15 or stop using Firefox.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/trending/2012/10/11/firefox_16_pulled_latest_mozilla_update_pulled_ove r_security_concerns.html

zeldabjr
10-22-2012, 08:59 PM
OK techies...Do I need to get Windows 8?

Grey Sadler
10-22-2012, 09:09 PM
OK techies...Do I need to get Windows 8?
I'm always a "late adopter" anyway...but from all the talk I've heard about it, I think I'm sticking with 7 until the last possible moment...and if I replace this PC, I'm probably looking at a Mac Mini anyway :nahnah:

FWIW, The PC and laptop I use at school are still on XP and are working absolutely fine :hilarious:

sodascouts
10-22-2012, 09:11 PM
Yeah - I'd say give Windows 8 some time to work the bugs out before getting it.

VAisForEagleLovers
10-22-2012, 10:09 PM
Yeah - I'd say give Windows 8 some time to work the bugs out before getting it.

Soda has it absolutely right. Plus, Zelda, isn't your computer brand new? Upgrading from 7 to 8 is no trivial thing and besides the $$$ of upgrading, you should have it done professionally. Even then it probably won't be done right. The drivers, etc on your computer that were put on by your manufacturer to make things work like the DVD drive, etc, probably won't work with Windows 8, and will need to be upgraded as well. It's possible your manfacturer doesn't even have all the new drivers available.

I have Windows 7 and I can't see upgrading until I buy my next laptop.

zeldabjr
10-22-2012, 10:38 PM
omg I had no idea it was such a big deal to do...and yeah I'm still learning Windows 7...so I'm glad I don't even need to think about it then!...Thanks:)

WalshFan88
10-22-2012, 11:28 PM
I hate W8 with a passion. It's just too different.

Both MS and Apple are trying to make their Desktop OS more like their own Mobile OS's in order to try to make it more "popular" or appealing. I don't know about others but I like my desktop/laptop to be my computer, my phone to be a phone, and my tablet to be a tablet. I do NOT want the same experience across all three.

Trying to put my Apple bias aside, I still think they are going about it the right way. They are adding iOS features into Mac OS X but they aren't A- forcing it on you and B- redesigning it to look identical and vastly different.

I have a belief about Windows that has proven true for me over the years. Every other version is great. XP was great, Vista sucked, 7 was great, 8 will suck. And so on. Some were ok with Vista but they obviously weren't supporting those machines like I did because it was a major headache. The biggest Microsoft Windows failure other than Windows ME....

Glennsallnighter
10-29-2012, 07:06 PM
I hate W8 with a passion. It's just too different.

I have a belief about Windows that has proven true for me over the years. Every other version is great. XP was great, Vista sucked, 7 was great, 8 will suck. And so on. Some were ok with Vista but they obviously weren't supporting those machines like I did because it was a major headache. The biggest Microsoft Windows failure other than Windows ME....

Interesting statement. I was talking to a sales guy in Apple a few weeks ago and he was saying he only buys every SECOND model of Apple products. Like he had an iphone 4 so would not upgrade to 4S. Similarly had an iPad2 so was not getting the new iPad but would wait for the obe after!

WalshFan88
10-29-2012, 10:56 PM
Interesting statement. I was talking to a sales guy in Apple a few weeks ago and he was saying he only buys every SECOND model of Apple products. Like he had an iphone 4 so would not upgrade to 4S. Similarly had an iPad2 so was not getting the new iPad but would wait for the obe after!

Yeah, I agree. Not so much that every other version sucks as the case with MS, but that the middle ones aren't enough of an upgrade to qualify. Just like the iPad 4.. I'm perfectly happy with my 3.

SallyGee
12-04-2012, 06:47 PM
We just got a new computer a few weeks ago. It has windows 8 and it is just too confusing! Anybody else have it? Opinions? Will I ever get used to it?

WalshFan88
12-04-2012, 07:06 PM
We just got a new computer a few weeks ago. It has windows 8 and it is just too confusing! Anybody else have it? Opinions? Will I ever get used to it?

Windows 8 will go down as being another ME, another Vista... AKA huge failure. Horribly confusing for someone. They've removed things that have been in place since Windows 95. Things like the Start Menu, etc.

My mother just had to buy a new computer because her old one was getting too slow and it had been upgraded and still too slow. Of course, hers came with Windows 8. She's managing, but I probably will have to format it and put on Windows 7 if she thinks it's too much of a headache.

Not really anything I can recommend. If you find it too much of a headache, try to find a reputable computer place to reformat and install Windows 7.

SallyGee
12-04-2012, 09:31 PM
Thanks Austin. I thought maybe it was just me.

WalshFan88
12-06-2012, 04:51 AM
Nope.

And the problems with W8 just keep piling up. I think it's one of MS's biggest failures yet.

VAisForEagleLovers
12-06-2012, 09:43 AM
Nope.

And the problems with W8 just keep piling up. I think it's one of MS's biggest failures yet.

Wow, they'd have to really work to beat Windows ME at being a big failure! I'm sure they can meet the challenge.

TimothyBFan
12-06-2012, 09:54 AM
Nope.

Well they sure do advertise it!! We saw commercials for it about a gazillion times during Duck Dynasty last night.

prayfordaylight
12-06-2012, 12:04 PM
Guess I'll be looking for a PC with 7 still when I look for a new one. I have 7 at work and love it. I know Vista gets slammed but I've never had any major issues with it. It's just sloooooooooow.

Brooke
02-24-2013, 06:19 PM
I've noticed lately on my pc that if I click on a link here or anywhere for that matter I get a blank page. I'm sure this is new for me. I think I've changed a setting that I shouldn't have. Anyone know what to do?

WalshFan88
02-24-2013, 06:21 PM
I've noticed lately on my pc that if I click on a link here or anywhere for that matter I get a blank page. I'm sure this is new for me. I think I've changed a setting that I shouldn't have. Anyone know what to do?

What Browser and OS are you using?

It could be a setting, or in the case of Windows, many things such as corrupted browser, malware, etc etc.

ETA: If it's IE and Windows - go to this page and run this hotfix that will fix the problem. If it's Chrome or Firefox, or a Mac, let me know.

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=281679

You should be able to copy and paste to open the link.

VAisForEagleLovers
02-24-2013, 07:13 PM
Brooke, definitely what Austin mentioned. One day last week I had the same issue with most screens in Chrome and Firefox. Not sure what the problem was, but I had Microsoft updates that had downloaded and required a reboot and once I rebooted, the problem went away.

WalshFan88
02-25-2013, 06:47 AM
If it is Chrome or Firefox causing her problem, sometimes an uninstall and reinstall will fix it. Those browsers are a lot easier to troubleshoot.

IE is more troublesome as it's deeply embedded into Windows and harder to fix even after a reinstall of IE. The hotfix I linked to I've had to use once before and almost forgot about it. If IE is causing it, it will fix it. I had an issue also before with Outlook not opening links (email program) and had to run a similar fix that Microsoft provided. Most of the time it has to do with defaults, registry keys, and attributes.

WalshFan88
02-25-2013, 06:49 AM
Brooke, definitely what Austin mentioned. One day last week I had the same issue with most screens in Chrome and Firefox. Not sure what the problem was, but I had Microsoft updates that had downloaded and required a reboot and once I rebooted, the problem went away.

Yeah the Microsoft Updates love to be restarted right after installation. When it's a big update, it changes things and in order for them to take place and not cause hiccups, the PC has to be restarted. Especially with critical updates and OS updates. Optional updates not so much.

Brooke
02-26-2013, 05:54 PM
I've tried everything and still no luck! I can't imagine what has happened.

I rebooted everything too.

WalshFan88
02-26-2013, 06:25 PM
I've tried everything and still no luck! I can't imagine what has happened.

I rebooted everything too.

Is it IE, Chrome, or Firefox?

Brooke
02-26-2013, 08:01 PM
Internet Explorer

WalshFan88
02-26-2013, 08:03 PM
Internet Explorer

What OS are you on (8, 7, Vista, XP, etc).

Brooke
02-26-2013, 08:10 PM
Windows 7

WalshFan88
02-26-2013, 08:21 PM
Resetting Internet Explorer

1. Go to Control Panel
2. On the left side, click "Large Icons"
3. Find "Internet Options"
4. Go to the Advanced tab
5. Click "restore advanced settings"
6. Click Reset Internet Explorer
7. Put a check next to personal settings
8. After a yellow box appears, close Internet Explorer
9. Reopen IE
10. Check for problem

--------

If problem persists:

Reinstalling Internet Explorer

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/internet-explorer/downloads/ie-10/worldwide-languages

1. Go to that page and choose if you are running 32 or 64 bit, and then download it by choosing "Save". Remember what folder it's saved in
2. Close Internet Explorer
3. Open downloads folder and look for IE10.
4. Double click IE10 installer and go through the prompts
5. Restart when asked
6. Check for problem

Brooke
02-26-2013, 08:49 PM
[quote=WalshFan88;213455]Resetting Internet Explorer

1. Go to Control Panel

I get to this point and when I click reset IE a yellow triangle appears with an ! inside it and it says to close all open windows and programs. I did and still the same. I don't have anything else open. ??

7. Put a check next to personal settings (I don't see this at all)

9. Reopen IE
10. Check for problem

--------

WalshFan88
02-26-2013, 08:54 PM
Try checking your tray icons on the taskbar and close anything out down in the tray.

Otherwise, proceed to reinstalling IE by copying and pasting that link and following those directions. :)

Brooke
02-26-2013, 09:00 PM
Will try. Thanks for your help Austin!

WalshFan88
02-26-2013, 09:05 PM
Will try. Thanks for your help Austin!

You're welcome. :) OS/Software issues in Windows is my forte. I could do this stuff in my sleep.. :D

If you run into more trouble with the resetting/installing let me know.

Brooke
02-27-2013, 09:15 AM
I did the first step that you posted about resetting IE and still getting a blank page when I click on a link.

Will try the next step tomorrow I guess. Gotta go to work and basketball tonight!

WalshFan88
02-27-2013, 12:23 PM
I did the first step that you posted about resetting IE and still getting a blank page when I click on a link.

Will try the next step tomorrow I guess. Gotta go to work and basketball tonight!

Okey doke.. Let me know how it goes.

Brooke
02-27-2013, 08:47 PM
Resetting Internet Explorer

1. Go to Control Panel
7. Put a check next to personal settings
9. Reopen IE
10. Check for problem

--------

If problem persists:

Reinstalling Internet Explorer

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/internet-explorer/downloads/ie-10/worldwide-languages

1. Go to that page and choose if you are running 32 or 64 bit, and then download it by choosing "Save". Remember what folder it's saved in
2. Close Internet Explorer
3. Open downloads folder and look for IE10.
4. Double click IE10 installer and go through the prompts
5. Restart when asked
6. Check for problem

Ok so I had to reinstall IE. Same thing. I click on any link here and get a blank page.

WalshFan88
02-28-2013, 12:13 AM
That's very odd.

At this point I would recommend two or three things.

1)

I'm still not convinced it's NOT a virus/malware.

Open IE, go to the Tools menu and choose "manage addons". In the toolbars and extensions on the left side, disable ALL addons by clicking on them one by one and choosing Disable. Restart IE and check for problem.

Go to www.malwarebytes.org (http://www.malwarebytes.org) and download the latest version. Install and update it, and run a quick scan. (Quick Scan is sufficient). Remove anything it finds by closing a white notepad window if it opens, and if not or after you close it, make sure you remove anything it finds.

Also, go to www.surfright.nl (http://www.surfright.nl) and download Hitman Pro (32 or 64 bit depending on what you have). Open it, when presented with an agree screen, click agree, then choose "one time scan" in the next window. Then scan the system. If it finds anything, click next, then click "Activate free license", and then click ok and next and it should remove the viruses. Then if it asks to reboot, do so.

2)

Now it's time to clean up and repair Windows.

Go to the start menu, and in the search box type "cmd" (without quotes). Right click on cmd and choose Run as administrator.

At the black box, type "sfc /scannow" (without quotes). Press enter. This will do a check to see if Windows is missing certain services or registry keys. This is NOT an in depth repair but can fix most things.

Check for problem.

3)

You at this point (provided you've completed step 1 and 2) have two options if you are still having trouble. You can reinstall Windows (from recovery provided with the PC), OR proceed to get help. Either with a local computer shop, OR from remote access. I do offer remote help for people if they are interested. Basically you download a program (Teamviewer), you run it, send me the number in an email/PM, and then I can see what the problem is and fix it, and then you delete the program and it isn't actually installed. I do this for free because I truly enjoy learning new things and fixing computers.

Other than that, I've tried everything I can think of without actually seeing it. I could recommend other things but I think they'd be hard to explain over text and could easily be messed up if not done right.

I'm having surgery tomorrow early afternoon, but should be home in the evening. Let me know how step 1 and 2 go and please let me know if you need help with remote support.

WalshFan88
02-28-2013, 12:40 AM
Also, make sure to restart after doing the virus scans! Forgot to mention that. It should ask you to but if it doesn't, do it anyway.

Brooke
02-28-2013, 11:38 AM
I thought of the malwarebytes and tried to download it which opened another blank page! Couldn't get that to work either!

I will try the above as soon as I get time. BB tonight! Thanks again!

Brooke
03-05-2013, 09:36 PM
That's very odd.

At this point I would recommend two or three things.

1)

I'm still not convinced it's NOT a virus/malware.

Open IE, go to the Tools menu and choose "manage addons". In the toolbars and extensions on the left side, disable ALL addons by clicking on them one by one and choosing Disable. Restart IE and check for problem.

Go to www.malwarebytes.org (http://www.malwarebytes.org) and download the latest version. Install and update it, and run a quick scan. (Quick Scan is sufficient). Remove anything it finds by closing a white notepad window if it opens, and if not or after you close it, make sure you remove anything it finds.

Also, go to www.surfright.nl (http://www.surfright.nl) and download Hitman Pro (32 or 64 bit depending on what you have). Open it, when presented with an agree screen, click agree, then choose "one time scan" in the next window. Then scan the system. If it finds anything, click next, then click "Activate free license", and then click ok and next and it should remove the viruses. Then if it asks to reboot, do so.

2)

Now it's time to clean up and repair Windows.

Go to the start menu, and in the search box type "cmd" (without quotes). Right click on cmd and choose Run as administrator.

At the black box, type "sfc /scannow" (without quotes). Press enter. This will do a check to see if Windows is missing certain services or registry keys. This is NOT an in depth repair but can fix most things.

Check for problem.

3)

You at this point (provided you've completed step 1 and 2) have two options if you are still having trouble. You can reinstall Windows (from recovery provided with the PC), OR proceed to get help. Either with a local computer shop, OR from remote access. I do offer remote help for people if they are interested. Basically you download a program (Teamviewer), you run it, send me the number in an email/PM, and then I can see what the problem is and fix it, and then you delete the program and it isn't actually installed. I do this for free because I truly enjoy learning new things and fixing computers.

Other than that, I've tried everything I can think of without actually seeing it. I could recommend other things but I think they'd be hard to explain over text and could easily be messed up if not done right.

I'm having surgery tomorrow early afternoon, but should be home in the evening. Let me know how step 1 and 2 go and please let me know if you need help with remote support.

I did everything here you suggested and I still get a blank page when I click on a link from here and I can't print from the internet. Thanks for all your help. I guess I'll have to take it somewhere.

WalshFan88
03-05-2013, 09:55 PM
I did everything here you suggested and I still get a blank page when I click on a link from here and I can't print from the internet. Thanks for all your help. I guess I'll have to take it somewhere.

Good luck. My guess is you will have to reformat and reinstall Windows 7. It's probably a corrupted file somewhere. :) When you reinstalled the latest IE, it should have fixed it. It wouldn't surprise me if a malware infection messed it up - even though the virus might be gone, the damage is done so to speak.

Another thing you might try is making a new user account, copying your personal folders over, and then deleting the corrupted account. That might fix the problem. Otherwise, I'd suggest reinstalling Windows entirely.

Brooke
03-07-2013, 12:03 PM
Another question for ya! (I'm sorry!)

I needed to update my Adobe Flash Player and it has gotten to a point and I can't get it to finish. A pop up window says "Please close the following programs to continue-Internet Explorer".

I don't have any window open with IE. I have closed everything...weather, itunes.......I can think of, but yet it still tells me this. ???

WalshFan88
03-09-2013, 05:06 PM
Another question for ya! (I'm sorry!)

I needed to update my Adobe Flash Player and it has gotten to a point and I can't get it to finish. A pop up window says "Please close the following programs to continue-Internet Explorer".

I don't have any window open with IE. I have closed everything...weather, itunes.......I can think of, but yet it still tells me this. ???

I think it ties in with your IE problems. Something is making IE run in the background when it shouldn't be.... If you've closed everything - then it's not right. If your Malwarebytes and Hitman Pro scans came up clean - then it's likely not a virus, but rather something else, or perhaps damage from a virus that was once on there.

If you don't want to mess with IE and don't want to send it somewhere right now, you could try Chrome or Firefox as an alternative browser that you could use Flash and click links in. My guess is the user account trick would work, along with running "Windows Repair" for fixing IE, but without me seeing it first hand, at this point after what you've tried I'm only guessing. :)

Brooke
03-10-2013, 04:42 PM
Unbelievable! I changed to Chrome and everything works fine. New windows aren't blank, printer prints.

Who knows what is wrong with my IE, but if Chrome will do it that's good enough for me!

Thank you so much Austin and VA! You guys are wizards! :hugs:

WalshFan88
03-10-2013, 04:47 PM
Unbelievable! I changed to Chrome and everything works fine. New windows aren't blank, printer prints.

Who knows what is wrong with my IE, but if Chrome will do it that's good enough for me!

Thank you so much Austin and VA! You guys are wizards! :hugs:

I alternate between Chrome and Firefox. I prefer the look of Chrome but Firefox for whatever reason on my home internet is a bit faster at times, so I'll use it. :)

VAisForEagleLovers
03-10-2013, 05:07 PM
HaHa, I know the answer to almost all computer questions..."Ask Austin"!!

I can't get the Flash plug-in to work for Firefox, so I mostly use Chrome and IE.

Brooke, I've had problems with IE being blank and also being a background task that never seems to stop, but it was one particular website that I went to and not all of them. It was trying to download an *.ica file that was needed for a process to run and I wasn't getting the little pop-up along the bottom that usually says 'Open', 'Save', 'View Download', or whatever it says. Rebooting didn't help, as the file would try to download again as soon as the computer booted back up. Your issue is probably something similar, and perhaps malware or something that would do this every time you open IE.

If you don't know of a trusted professional in your area, ask around. One thing I've always found helpful, perhaps ask the IT people where you work who they would take their computer to if they couldn't fix it themselves. Since you got Chrome to work, you aren't in any big hurry.

Brooke
03-11-2013, 09:38 AM
Va, yes, we have a company that does work on our work computers, so that's where I will take it if I have to.

Chrome seems faster to me too and I've been using it at work most often anyway.

Happy dance! :yay:

SallyGee
05-20-2013, 08:54 PM
I still hateWindows 8! That's why I haven't been posting lately. I'm on my I pod now. I plugged my I pods into the computer to put some CDs on, and none of them show up. Someone told me it's because of Windows 8. Can that be? Austin ? Help! How much would it cost and how hard would it be to install Windows7?

WalshFan88
05-21-2013, 12:36 AM
I still hateWindows 8! That's why I haven't been posting lately. I'm on my I pod now. I plugged my I pods into the computer to put some CDs on, and none of them show up. Someone told me it's because of Windows 8. Can that be? Austin ? Help! How much would it cost and how hard would it be to install Windows7?

You're not alone. Windows 8 is a horrible OS.

But no, that shouldn't keep your iPods from showing up. The thing to do is uninstall iTunes and reinstall it, or simply install it if it isn't already. Then it should work ok.

To get Windows 7, you would need a Full Version, and you would reformat the computer (erase the hard drive) and reinstall Windows 7. Also known as downgrading. The Windows 7 Home would cost $170, plus if you take it somewhere there will be a cost to have it done.

SallyGee
05-21-2013, 06:22 AM
Thanks Austin. My library for I tunes shows up, but there's nothing that says sync your I pod. Strange.

SallyGee
06-04-2013, 08:08 PM
We need a new printer, scanner, copier. I'd like one that can print decent photos. Any suggestions?

WalshFan88
06-08-2013, 03:08 AM
HP all the way.. Especially since you said Photos.

Not really picky on the model - any of the Photosmarts are good. I use a wireless one here that is hooked into our network/router so we can print from anywhere in the house, and even remotely if we so desire.

SallyGee
06-08-2013, 05:20 PM
Thanks Austin. I was thinking wireless too.

zeldabjr
06-08-2013, 08:36 PM
I have an HP all in one...wireless...very cool...love it!

Glennsallnighter
09-12-2013, 06:36 PM
Austin, I need your expertise again.

My laptop had been giving a lot of trouble over the summer and I left it in for repair. They have replaced the hard disc and generally overhauled it. The also wiped quite a number of programmes which I had added, mainly by CD (I guess they were on the old hard drive).

Anyway I've been reinstalling some stuff.

But, itunes was gone from the computer, so I went onto the site and downloaded it again. However, when I try to get into it (and I need this to sync my iphone and ipad) I get the following error message:

'the file I Tunes library.itl cannot be read because it was created by a newer version of iTunes'

The only option I have then is to click 'ok' which closes the programme. Not much good to me though!!

Any idea what I can do?

WalshFan88
09-12-2013, 08:17 PM
Austin, I need your expertise again.

My laptop had been giving a lot of trouble over the summer and I left it in for repair. They have replaced the hard disc and generally overhauled it. The also wiped quite a number of programmes which I had added, mainly by CD (I guess they were on the old hard drive).

Anyway I've been reinstalling some stuff.

But, itunes was gone from the computer, so I went onto the site and downloaded it again. However, when I try to get into it (and I need this to sync my iphone and ipad) I get the following error message:

'the file I Tunes library.itl cannot be read because it was created by a newer version of iTunes'

The only option I have then is to click 'ok' which closes the programme. Not much good to me though!!

Any idea what I can do?

1- Uninstall iTunes
2 - Go to your "personal" folder (user folder) and find the Music/My Music folder
3 - Delete the iTunes folder
4 - Go to your personal folder again and go to documents and make sure there isn't any music folders there, and if there is - delete them.
4 - Reinstall iTunes

The library will rebuild and have a new copy...

IMPORTANT: Only do this if you have your music on something other than the PC (iPod, other PC, CD's, iTunes store, etc)

Glennsallnighter
09-13-2013, 02:13 AM
So just to get this right Austin, I must back my music onto a 'third party' device, and delete my entire music library from the computer while doing this?

I have it on an external hard drive. Will that do?

WalshFan88
09-13-2013, 03:16 AM
So just to get this right Austin, I must back my music onto a 'third party' device, and delete my entire music library from the computer while doing this?

I have it on an external hard drive. Will that do?

That'll work. But yes, uninstall itunes, delete the itunes folders, and reinstall.

Glennsallnighter
09-13-2013, 04:56 AM
Ok, thanks Austin. I'm at work now but will try that tonight.

Happy Birthday!!

Glennsallnighter
09-15-2013, 06:25 AM
Thanks Austin! That worked!

WalshFan88
09-17-2013, 05:48 PM
Thanks Austin! That worked!

Yay! I was hoping that was it. :yay:

Brooke
10-04-2013, 01:34 PM
Ok computer geeks, I have always listened to videos from this site and today, all of a sudden, there is no sound coming from my computer while on this site. I've checked msn videos, today show videos, etc and I get sound from them.

Help! (and I haven't changed any settings!)

sodascouts
10-05-2013, 07:12 PM
You can get sound from everywhere but this site? Are you talking about the embedded YouTube videos? Trying playing those while on the YouTube site rather than embedded here. Sometimes audio is removed from YouTube videos due to copyright complaints.

Brooke
10-07-2013, 10:08 AM
Yes, I get sound from everywhere but this site. And I have always listened to videos on this site until now. I just tried ones that Austin put on here and no sound. :shrug:

sodascouts
10-07-2013, 04:14 PM
Hmm. Did you change anything? Your board style even?

Brooke
10-07-2013, 04:42 PM
I did change my board style to the eoc default.

I went to EOC and listened to a video there in the download area-TIE (Central Park). Worked fine over there.

ETA: I just changed back to vbulletin style and checked some videos. I saw the volume was turned off on each video and clicked it and I can hear it! :blush: I thought I had tried that......guess not! Sorry! It was me......an old person...... :doh:

Prettymaid
10-08-2013, 09:37 PM
Lol Brooke! Glad you got it figured out.

WalshFan88
10-09-2013, 06:03 AM
Good to hear, Brooke! Sometimes its those little things that computers do that drive us batty! I could state several examples of my own but since I'm the computer guy around here I'd hate to look that computer illiterate. :hilarious:

Brooke
10-09-2013, 09:37 AM
Sometimes computers do things to themselves. I know they do! There are gremlins living in there and they are all out to make me look stupid!

Really! lol

10-09-2013, 12:59 PM
I totally agree with you, Brooke! It's a fact ... :shrug: :grin:

WalshFan88
10-09-2013, 10:19 PM
Haha we techs call it the PEBKAC error (Problem exists between keyboard and chair) :D. But yes, they sure like to make you go insane when they malfunction regardless of the cause.

WalshFan88
10-31-2013, 12:26 PM
OMG I'm going bonkers this weekend. My MacBook Air is in for a new hard drive (a recall affected it after warranty even). And I'm NOT used to typing on a touch screen (i.e. iPad, smartphone). I just found a Windows laptop so I can have SOMETHING to tide me over.

I have to have a keyboard and I hate sitting at a desk... Laptops have spoiled me. I sure hope the world doesn't go to tablets. I'd lose my mind. I love my iPad, I do. But not for typing and not for everyday use. I like it just for mobility and for going places but never as a main machine.

Prettymaid
10-31-2013, 12:38 PM
Do you use a stylus, Austin? I didn't think I wanted one, but Hubby got it for me shortly after we got our iPads and now I always use it, even on the keypad.

WalshFan88
10-31-2013, 12:44 PM
Do you use a stylus, Austin? I didn't think I wanted one, but Hubby got it for me shortly after we got our iPads and now I always use it, even on the keypad.

I'll try that! Thanks!

WalshFan88
11-14-2013, 06:31 PM
I got my MacBook back! It's nice and working with a new hard drive. I have horrible keyboard withdrawls and I need to figure out something the next time I have to send it to Apple.

----

Also, as a word of warning - watch out for the new CryptoLocker virus on Windows. It will completely encrypt all of your files in your user folder and demand 300 within a day or you will lose all of your files. It's very important to practice safe surfing techniques, have a good antivirus, and also make sure you have backups. I've already dealt with this with a client and it's not fun.

VAisForEagleLovers
11-14-2013, 11:12 PM
I got my MacBook back! It's nice and working with a new hard drive. I have horrible keyboard withdrawls and I need to figure out something the next time I have to send it to Apple.

----

Also, as a word of warning - watch out for the new CryptoLocker virus on Windows. It will completely encrypt all of your files in your user folder and demand 300 within a day or you will lose all of your files. It's very important to practice safe surfing techniques, have a good antivirus, and also make sure you have backups. I've already dealt with this with a client and it's not fun.

Thanks for the warning!

WalshFan88
11-15-2013, 01:36 AM
Thanks for the warning!

YW.

It's really important to backup your files... This particular one is the nastiest form of ransom malware (ransomware) yet.

Glennsallnighter
11-15-2013, 05:46 AM

----

Thank you Austin. Would Bullguard do as an antivirus? I still have to install it since I got the laptop back and must back up too. I'm not good at this sort of thing....... :headscratch:

Brooke
11-15-2013, 10:59 AM
How do we get this CryptoLocker virus? Does it come in an email? I had heard about it too.

WalshFan88
11-15-2013, 06:41 PM
How do we get this CryptoLocker virus? Does it come in an email? I had heard about it too.

Several ways.

1) Email attachments (they are very realistic scam emails that look legit)
2) Social networks - hijacked Facebook and Twitter links that are clicked
3) Downloads that you download on the internet that are posing as the wrong thing. They may also do a "drive-by" download and if you go to a compromised site, it may install itself through an exploit in which you can't really do anything but hope and pray you have a backup and a good antivirus.
4) USB stick/CD/etc - this is the rarest way to get it but still a possibility.

Brooke
11-17-2013, 07:04 PM
For some reason I've lost my task bar at the bottom of my screen. The Start button shows, but nothing else......I usually had the Chrome, IE, and Itunes buttons there and it was in a bar across the screen.....????????????? Anyone know what I should do?

sodascouts
11-17-2013, 08:56 PM
Here's some possible solutions:

https://kb.wisc.edu/helpdesk/page.php?id=592

WalshFan88
11-17-2013, 09:01 PM
That bar is called the Quick Launch, sounds like it was deleted.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/975784

If that site doesn't work, then it may be a corrupted file in Windows or another setting.

Brooke
04-03-2014, 09:11 AM
Thanks for that guys! I did finally get that back!

Now, a new problem!

Yesterday I went to use Microsoft Word and Excel and everything I had used is gone! I can find the files, but they won't open. I get a message that Click to Run configuration failed. WTH!

Anyone know how to fix this?

UndertheWire
04-03-2014, 09:21 AM
My standard approach to errors is to cut and paste the error text into Google and that will show up lots of people with the same problem and hopefully a few solutions.

eg
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/office/forum/office_2010-word/click-2-run-configuration-failure/2ce975a9-90e9-4919-89d2-da64440e1423

Brooke
04-03-2014, 10:13 AM
Thanks UtW!

I did a system restore and I can now at least open the Office Starter program, but my documents do not come up. I can now at least make new ones, but it was very time saving to just update what I had already created. I can find the list if I go in to Office Starter from the start menu, but they won't open from there.

Brooke
04-03-2014, 11:13 AM
Ok, I figured it out! After about 18 hours of frustration! I had to start a new document, save it, and then go back in the program and my old ones were in 'recent places'!

Ugh! I hope no one else EVER has this problem!

Brooklyn Roads
04-03-2014, 04:04 PM
Ok, I figured it out! After about 18 hours of frustration! I had to start a new document, save it, and then go back in the program and my old ones were in 'recent places'!

Ugh! I hope no one else EVER has this problem!

I am sorry to hear of all these problems. I hate when my PC acts up. I've had mine for 6 years now, but luckily it's lasted way longer than I expected.

I was going to ask, is there a general folder you keep your Word documents?

Also, if you ever have trouble finding any kind of document, sometimes if all else fails, I go to my "Start" button, type in the search area any name that may resemble the name of the file and usually the computer will find it within seconds and the root folder of where it's located, which is great!!

Thought this may help in the future :)

DJ
04-07-2014, 07:58 PM
Ok so here is one for someone who knows computers more than I.
When I downloaded Chrome my smilies moved now that I unloaded it my smilies don't move????

WalshFan88
04-07-2014, 08:38 PM
Ok so here is one for someone who knows computers more than I.
When I downloaded Chrome my smilies moved now that I unloaded it my smilies don't move????

So you uninstalled Chrome? That shouldn't affect other browsers. What browser are you using now?

You might try clearing cache. Between IE and Firefox, I prefer Firefox. I like Chrome the best though. IE still to this day has issues with websites though smilies shouldn't be affected.

DJ
04-07-2014, 11:15 PM
I use IE. I know it shouldn't and I'm gonna get to the bottom. Chrome also slowed our internet down terribly. Going back to IE sped it up a lot. It's puzzling. Thanks for the help.

WalshFan88
04-08-2014, 02:17 AM
I'd recommend running CCleaner as Chrome should not be slow at all.. Sounds like you might have a lot of cache files or perhaps malware/adware.

VAisForEagleLovers
04-08-2014, 07:33 AM
If you run CCleaner, or any other program that clears cache, but sure to write down all relevant web addresses and login information that you might need and don't remember. This is important!! Anything you begin to type in and it auto-finishes for you will be lost, so you need to remember what it was before you can access it again. I inadvertently cleaned my cache a few months ago and lost the domain name for my company where I do my timecard, along with the web addresses I used a lot (they weren't bookmarked), and the usernames I use for non-important things like delivery services (I never save the username and password for any financial-related accounts).

Cleaning cache definitely speeds up your computer and should be done occasionally. It's just important to remember to save your important information first.

WalshFan88
04-08-2014, 12:19 PM
If you run CCleaner, or any other program that clears cache, but sure to write down all relevant web addresses and login information that you might need and don't remember. This is important!! Anything you begin to type in and it auto-finishes for you will be lost, so you need to remember what it was before you can access it again. I inadvertently cleaned my cache a few months ago and lost the domain name for my company where I do my timecard, along with the web addresses I used a lot (they weren't bookmarked), and the usernames I use for non-important things like delivery services (I never save the username and password for any financial-related accounts).

Cleaning cache definitely speeds up your computer and should be done occasionally. It's just important to remember to save your important information first.

True...

DJ
04-08-2014, 01:33 PM
Well I got the icons to move, yah...I think I cleaned it up it seems to run better. A year or so back we got a virus and it's been running bad on and off. Thanks for all the help

WalshFan88
04-10-2014, 04:54 PM
No problem! :)

SallyGee
05-29-2014, 07:10 PM
I haven't been on here as much as I like because I can't seem to get any computer time. It seems like every time I want to go on, someone else is on, and by the time they're off, I'm involved in something else. I was using my I-pod touch, but that has been acting funny. I'd like to get something bigger than my I-pod. I just need something to go on Facebook, the internet, check my e-mails, etc. Do I need a laptop, or would a tablet do? Looking for suggestions and recommendations. It has to be easy to work, as I am not very tech savy.

Witchy Woman
05-29-2014, 08:25 PM
If all you're using the computer for is internet and checking e-mails a tablet would work just fine for you. They're portable, lightweight, and pretty easy to navigate. If you already have an iPod I would suggest an iPad. It's the same interface, so no having to learn something new. You can get a regular iPad or one with retinal display. There are also mini versions as well. If you would like to have the internet everywhere you go some also have chips built in from AT&T, Sprint,and Verizon. The Microsoft Surface runs on the same operating platform that all computers now use, Windows 8. Microsoft Office is free on the RT versions. The only downside to the RT is that you can't add any programs unless they are in the app store. The professional version runs a full version of Windows 8, meaning you can add other programs to it. But it does not come with Microsoft Office. It all depends really on what you're looking for. Take some time to visit your local Best Buy. The best way to figure it out is to play around with them and find your best fit.

SallyGee
05-29-2014, 09:35 PM
Thanks WW. At the risk of sounding dumb, what is retinal display?

WalshFan88
05-29-2014, 10:14 PM
An iPad should be fine. I'm an Apple fan though so I'm biased. I really dig my iPad Mini.

WalshFan88
05-29-2014, 10:14 PM
Thanks WW. At the risk of sounding dumb, what is retinal display?

It means there are so many pixels the human retina can't discern them so the picture is great.

SallyGee
05-30-2014, 06:02 AM
Thanks Walsh Fan

05-31-2014, 06:54 PM
A couple of weeks ago my hard drive went bad in my two-year old laptop, and I was not a happy camper. Fortunately, I found a guy that replaced it and reloaded the software for $100. I even have DVD burning software now that I didn't have before. Not only that, I am thinking about buying another laptop or tablet and this guy sells new and rebuilt ones for a really decent price - a lot cheaper than retail value, so I'm going to go back and check to see what he has available.

WalshFan88
05-31-2014, 06:56 PM
A couple of weeks ago my hard drive went bad in my two-year old laptop, and I was not a happy camper. Fortunately, I found a guy that replaced it and reloaded the software for $100. I even have DVD burning software now that I didn't have before. Not only that, I am thinking about buying another laptop or tablet and this guy sells new and rebuilt ones for a really decent price - a lot cheaper than retail value, so I'm going to go back and check to see what he has available.

That's a pretty darn good deal. Did that include the new hard drive?

I do a lot of hard drive installs and that's a good price.

WalshFan88
05-31-2014, 07:00 PM
Just had two laptops in my shop today. One had a corrupted user profile and the other had a lot of malware to remove. Got them both done and returned same day and now I'm working on my own computer doing some spring cleaning.

This time of year is a great time to clean your computers. I personally reformat all of mine once a year. It's a lot of work but the speed increase is great. You can speed it up with CCleaner, etc but a complete wipe and reinstall is a great way to go. Just back up your stuff first! One thing I hate almost more than anything is a slow computer. I have a need for fast internet and fast computing and I find wiping the computer is a great way to go for me personally.

For most people I recommend downloading and running CCleaner and cleaning your junk files and registry. I also recommend defragging if you aren't on an SSD (most hard drives are not). Windows should automatically do this but every once in a while I still like to force a defrag and make it do the whole drive. I use Defraggler, also by the company that makes CCleaner. Also a great time to run a scan with your antivirus and Malwarebytes.

05-31-2014, 07:04 PM
Yep - that included the same size hard drive that I had in it. The anti-virus software that he put on was the free crappy kind so I got virus when I reloaded my files. I had to do a system restore to get rid of the virus and I'm getting ready to reinstall my Webroot Security software. Otherwise things seem to be working great.

WalshFan88
05-31-2014, 07:13 PM
Yep - that included the same size hard drive that I had in it. The anti-virus software that he put on was the free crappy kind so I got virus when I reloaded my files. I had to do a system restore to get rid of the virus and I'm getting ready to reinstall my Webroot Security software. Otherwise things seem to be working great.

Webroot is good... Just stay away from Norton/Symantec. I know VA has had good luck with it and NO AV is perfect but I've had sooooo many PC's in lately running Norton Internet Security that were infected with malware or ransomware.

I personally like Kaspersky Internet Security a LOT. ESET NOD32 is another fav. Webroot is good - better than most free ones. For free antivirus Avast is my favorite by a country mile. I put it on every PC that comes in that doesn't use Kaspersky or ESET. AVG is junk anymore IMO with it's heavy resource usage and poor detection and Microsoft Security Essentials/Windows Defender just isn't good enough.

For me 90 percent of the time I use Avast or Kaspersky for client PCs. ESET is hard to find in stores so Kaspersky is what most use for a paid antivirus.

05-31-2014, 07:25 PM
I bought Kaspersky when I purchased my laptop. But when it ran out, I took it to Best Buy to repurchase it and they actually recommended Webroot. I actually don't have any complaints about either so far.

WalshFan88
05-31-2014, 10:31 PM
I bought Kaspersky when I purchased my laptop. But when it ran out, I took it to Best Buy to repurchase it and they actually recommended Webroot. I actually don't have any complaints about either so far.

I'm sure they did - for lack of a better term, they are in bed with Webroot. They have a undisclosed buisness partnership with them. Webroot pays them to install it in the Geek Squad and they use their removal tools. It's not a bad product, it just wouldn't be my first choice. Wouldn't be my last though either.

Witchy Woman
06-01-2014, 01:11 AM
I'm sure they did - for lack of a better term, they are in bed with Webroot. They have a undisclosed buisness partnership with them. Webroot pays them to install it in the Geek Squad and they use their removal tools. It's not a bad product, it just wouldn't be my first choice. Wouldn't be my last though either.

FWIW, when someone asks me which one I like, I always tell them Kaspersky. I don't need the antivirus, but it has worked extremely well for other family members. Webroot is mostly cloud based, so it doesn't hog up as much RAM as the other guys. It only takes a few minutes to fully install as well. I've never been "encouraged" to offer one specific product. All I do is be honest in my opinion.

WalshFan88
06-01-2014, 03:27 AM
FWIW, when someone asks me which one I like, I always tell them Kaspersky. I don't need the antivirus, but it has worked extremely well for other family members. Webroot is mostly cloud based, so it doesn't hog up as much RAM as the other guys. It only takes a few minutes to fully install as well. I've never been "encouraged" to offer one specific product. All I do is be honest in my opinion.

Great. :) And I'm sure every place is different. I've just heard from a lot of clients that they really push Webroot and I know they use it a lot for their MRI tool. But they've been doing that since back when it was called Spy Sweeper - way before SecureAnywhere came out.

Webroot is cloud based which has it's pluses and minuses. One is that it gets updates quicker, but sometimes it lacks the other features of a IS suite or high end antivirus like a HIPS/sandbox/application control...

A lot of times these days though I just install CryptoPrevent from FoolishIT anyway which keeps EXE's out of AppData/ProgramData and really cuts down on a lot of malware. No executable should be in those folders and that's where 99.999% percent of malware goes. So that plus a good AV will be pretty effective.

Brooke
09-25-2014, 04:30 PM
I have just gotten a program on my computer (by accident cause I didn't want it or try to get it!)and I can't get it deleted. It's called Optimizer Pro. It pops up uninvited and wants to clean up my computer, but says I have to register. I don't even want it! I tried to uninstall it through the uninstall programs area and it won't do it. It pops up and says "runtime error". Help!

WalshFan88
09-25-2014, 06:48 PM
I have just gotten a program on my computer (by accident cause I didn't want it or try to get it!)and I can't get it deleted. It's called Optimizer Pro. It pops up uninvited and wants to clean up my computer, but says I have to register. I don't even want it! I tried to uninstall it through the uninstall programs area and it won't do it. It pops up and says "runtime error". Help!

BAD piece of spyware/adware/malware.

Please go and run Malwarebytes and then run AdwCleaner by Bleeping Computer. Open it, hit accept on the terms, hit scan, then clean it and restart.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/adwcleaner/

VAisForEagleLovers
09-25-2014, 08:28 PM

Brooke....do what Austin suggests!

WalshFan88
09-26-2014, 02:10 AM
I've removed this for several clients lately.

AdwCleaner should get it....definitely run it and also run Malwarebytes. I'd run Malwarebytes first and then AdwCleaner will remove the remnants and any other adware on the system.

If you need help, I can remote in and fix it for you. But running ADW is pretty straightforward.

On the off chance those programs don't catch it, let me know. I have two others to try as a backup (HitmanPro, by SurfRight and Junkware Removal Tool, by Bleeping Computer).

Brooke
09-26-2014, 09:04 AM
Off to do it! Thanks guys!

Brooke
09-26-2014, 01:30 PM
I'm all fixed! Thanks again! Eagles fans are the best!

WalshFan88
09-26-2014, 08:24 PM
Glad to hear it's fixed....that's a very common piece of malware to get these days....

EagleLady
09-26-2014, 11:53 PM
Something weird just happened, I got the blue screen so I rebooted and went to safe mode, then I shut the computer down and started it up again and now its back to normal.

WalshFan88
09-27-2014, 12:23 AM
Could be a fluke, could be something...

Run a scan with your AV and Malwarebytes just to be on the safe side.

Glennsallnighter
10-06-2014, 04:45 PM
I cannot sync my Ipad or iphone with my (windows) laptop. Research that I have done indicates that I may need to 'uninstall and reinstall a driver'. I have no idea what this means and it sounds complicated. Perhaps Austin or someone could throw some light on the subject??

WalshFan88
10-08-2014, 07:19 AM
No idea unless I have a specific error code to work off of.

Otherwise you may need to uninstall and reinstall iTunes and also uninstall Apple Mobile Device Support and any other Apple Apps in your Control Panel which will get reinstalled when you reinstall iTunes.

Glennsallnighter
10-10-2014, 09:19 AM
Thanks Austin, I will try that

Prettymaid
10-17-2014, 07:17 PM
I cannot sync my Ipad or iphone with my (windows) laptop. Research that I have done indicates that I may need to 'uninstall and reinstall a driver'. I have no idea what this means and it sounds complicated. Perhaps Austin or someone could throw some light on the subject??

Did you get this worked out, GA? I recently got the same pop up (I rarely use my laptop except to sync). Mine resolved itself after the laptop did its regular updates.

WalshFan88
10-17-2014, 07:34 PM
iTunes on a PC/Windows is a horrible experience. Apple needs to seriously revamp iTunes for both platforms but doubly so for a PC. It's buggy, confusing, and no one wants to use it. iTunes on a Mac is no walk in the park, but it's a lot more stable than the Windows version.

I'm about as big of a fan of Apple as someone could be, but I never agreed with the Steve Jobs mindset that in order to win, the other has to lose and that he always bashed other companies in his speeches and the new guy Tim Cook has carried on that tradition. They bash Google and Microsoft left and right. They need to let the products do the talking. They also need to give more attention to their Windows software. Microsoft has been great doing Office for Mac, it's about time Apple do the same for Microsoft.

Microsoft loaned them money to get up and running and bail them out in the late 90s when Apple was tanking. Yet, if you watch the interview on YouTube of Jobs and Gates, he referred to creating software for Windows users as "giving a glass of ice water to someone in hell".

I never understood Jobs's attitude and seeming lack of respect for everyone around him. Yet, his being a jerk and being a perfectionist is what saved Apple and brought them back and kept them on the right path. I'm not so sure that is present in Apple today. Steve was a visionary, an @ss too, but a visionary nonetheless. I don't agree with the way he handled things but he sure got the job (no pun intended) done.

Glennsallnighter
10-17-2014, 08:02 PM
Did you get this worked out, GA? I recently got the same pop up (I rarely use my laptop except to sync). Mine resolved itself after the laptop did its regular updates.

Haven't tried PM. We have inspectors coming to the school next week and I'm snowed under with work. Mid term is the following week so I may try then. Thanks

WalshFan88
10-17-2014, 08:08 PM
Haven't tried PM. We have inspectors coming to the school next week and I'm snowed under with work. Mid term is the following week so I may try then. Thanks

Let me know...I can try to google more or go to the technician forums at Apple Support but I'm pretty sure a reinstall will fix it. :)

Brooke
12-12-2014, 02:04 PM
I don't know why I always seem to have trouble with my computers!

At work I set my screensaver to do my photos. Trouble is it's bringing up photos that are not in my pictures folder. Old pics that I thought were deleted! I've looked in all my folders-documents, downloads, etc and they don't show up there. Yet, when my screensaver comes on they are shown.

Anybody?

Brooke
12-30-2014, 03:05 PM
I guess my post got lost in the Christmas rush!

Anyone have an idea about my problem above?

WalshFan88
12-30-2014, 09:40 PM
Sorry about that!

Go into your screen saver settings. Depending on the OS, if you right click your desktop wallpaper you'll see something like Personalize. If it's XP, you might see "Change Wallpaper" or something. Click that and then find the screen saver tab. Then go to options and you should see what settings are chosen and would be able to change it or make a new one.

Sorry I'm not more descriptive but I never use screensavers. :hilarious: I just set it to go to black. I also don't use alternating wallpapers, I find they slow the system down. In fact, my wallpaper is black and so it is very easy on system resources. Just an added unrelated tip! :) You don't have to pick a black background, just dont use alternating ones on a slow or older computer especially.

Brooke
12-31-2014, 10:22 AM
Thanks Austin! I got this computer a year ago in July. Windows 7. Same directions?

I wondered about screensavers and where is a good place to get them. I just set it to use my photos.

Brooke
12-31-2014, 05:20 PM
Got that fixed Austin! Thanks!

Now, when I go to some other sites, photobucket for example, down in the left hand bottom corner I get a square with a message in it that says:

"The media content is not shown properly. It is recommended to update your system player now.

Your system can't play media content and services properly. Make sure to download the short update and install as shown.

Update version M. Player 9.2"

Is this legit and should I do it? I'm scared to touch anything extra these days! :fear:

WalshFan88
12-31-2014, 06:12 PM
Got that fixed Austin! Thanks!

Now, when I go to some other sites, photobucket for example, down in the left hand bottom corner I get a square with a message in it that says:

"The media content is not shown properly. It is recommended to update your system player now.

Your system can't play media content and services properly. Make sure to download the short update and install as shown.

Update version M. Player 9.2"

Is this legit and should I do it? I'm scared to touch anything extra these days! :fear:

Noooooo! That's adware/spyware.

Run your Malwarebytes scan when you have time. You shouldn't have any popups like that linking you to more malware.

Also you could run ADWCleaner, from Bleeping Computer that is an adware scanner.

Freypower
12-31-2014, 07:13 PM
iTunes on a PC/Windows is a horrible experience. Apple needs to seriously revamp iTunes for both platforms but doubly so for a PC. It's buggy, confusing, and no one wants to use it. iTunes on a Mac is no walk in the park, but it's a lot more stable than the Windows version.

I'm about as big of a fan of Apple as someone could be, but I never agreed with the Steve Jobs mindset that in order to win, the other has to lose and that he always bashed other companies in his speeches and the new guy Tim Cook has carried on that tradition. They bash Google and Microsoft left and right. They need to let the products do the talking. They also need to give more attention to their Windows software. Microsoft has been great doing Office for Mac, it's about time Apple do the same for Microsoft.

Microsoft loaned them money to get up and running and bail them out in the late 90s when Apple was tanking. Yet, if you watch the interview on YouTube of Jobs and Gates, he referred to creating software for Windows users as "giving a glass of ice water to someone in hell".

I never understood Jobs's attitude and seeming lack of respect for everyone around him. Yet, his being a jerk and being a perfectionist is what saved Apple and brought them back and kept them on the right path. I'm not so sure that is present in Apple today. Steve was a visionary, an @ss too, but a visionary nonetheless. I don't agree with the way he handled things but he sure got the job (no pun intended) done.

It's funny you mention iTunes on the computer because it mostly works fine for me. But what's happened is that my iPod has finally died after 8 years. So until I can get a cheap replacement MP3 player, given Apple no longer make iPods & I don't want an iPhone, I have discovered the joys of playing iTunes as I sit at the computer. I just heard Seven Bridges Road. I might clear some of it out. The next player I buy will probably only be 16GB so I have to be more selective about what I put on it (I do have music on the phone too). If I clear out a lot of stuff I'm not bothered about hearing on the computer we will save some space.

WalshFan88
12-31-2014, 09:41 PM
FP - Apple still makes iPods, they just discontinued the classic model that had a ton of storage. Some news outlets didn't word it properly and made people think the iPod line was gone. Only the 160GB old style iPod is gone. You can get up to 64GB on a new iPod. But the old hard drive based iPods are a thing of the past. New ones are based on flash storage ala iPhones and iPads.

You can get a Nano or a Touch still. A Shuffle would be too small in capacity for your needs, and it doesn't have a screen.

A 16GB Nano would be $150 dollars (US). A Touch is an iPhone without the phone, but it can get on the internet, play video, hold photos, etc. A Nano is more true to an older style iPod with just music but I think it can hold photos too and maybe play video (albeit on a tiny screen). A 16GB Touch would be $199 dollars (US) and runs iOS.

Freypower
12-31-2014, 10:06 PM
FP - Apple still makes iPods, they just discontinued the classic model that had a ton of storage. Some news outlets didn't word it properly and made people think the iPod line was gone. Only the 160GB old style iPod is gone. You can get up to 64GB on a new iPod. But the old hard drive based iPods are a thing of the past. New ones are based on flash storage ala iPhones and iPads.

You can get a Nano or a Touch still. A Shuffle would be too small in capacity for your needs, and it doesn't have a screen.

A 16GB Nano would be $150 dollars (US). A Touch is an iPhone without the phone, but it can get on the internet, play video, hold photos, etc. A Nano is more true to an older style iPod with just music but I think it can hold photos too and maybe play video (albeit on a tiny screen). A 16GB Touch would be $199 dollars (US) and runs iOS.

Thanks Austin, this is helpful. Nano or Touch? Decisions. Not today, New Year's Day.

Glennsallnighter
01-01-2015, 05:49 AM
I have a little Nano (The one I had in LA and in Niagara Falls). Its 16Gb I think and has served me very well. I don't tend to use it as much as I have the phone and iPad now but its still pristine and has a good few years left in it. So I'd consider it a good buy.

How does one save pics on a mac - say if I want to download a photo from a forum here? It won't do 'right click - save' like I used to do on the PC

Brooke
01-02-2015, 03:36 PM
Noooooo! That's adware/spyware.

Run your Malwarebytes scan when you have time. You shouldn't have any popups like that linking you to more malware.

Also you could run ADWCleaner, from Bleeping Computer that is an adware scanner.

Thanks Austin! I was very skeptical about it! Will do what you suggested!

Brooke
01-05-2015, 10:52 AM
Got it straightened out, mostly! I did have to download Hitman and got more stuff to get rid of. :fear: Thanks Austin!

Everything is working good except one site I use a lot, Snapfish. I have most all of my pictures saved there. Now everytime I click on a picture a new tab pops up with some kind of ad. Anything I click on this happens. There are also ads on the site that are not there on my computer at work. The site works fine at work. Do I need to call them and see what gives there? I assume there might be a setting on my home computer that is wrong or something?

WalshFan88
01-07-2015, 08:22 PM
I'd say you still have something on there...

You might check your browser extensions, especially in Chrome and Firefox as those aren't scanned often and make sure nothing funky got in there.

Otherwise, I'd use AdwCleaner - as you've already ran Hitman Pro and Malwarebytes which are what I use to fix computers. AdwCleaner is the ticket for the low-level adware threats. Let me know if you need any other help. I'd also suggest installing something like Unchecky so that when you install new software in the future, it doesn't sneak in adware.

Brooke
01-08-2015, 10:17 AM
I think I got it fixed, finally! I ran Adware Cleaner again and then read through your post again. I had missed disabling a couple add on tool bars. I did that and restarted and voila! So far!

Thanks so much for all your help Austin! :bow: If that didn't get it I was gonna have you do a remote log in.

WalshFan88
01-08-2015, 06:13 PM
I think I got it fixed, finally! I ran Adware Cleaner again and then read through your post again. I had missed disabling a couple add on tool bars. I did that and restarted and voila! So far!

Thanks so much for all your help Austin! :bow: If that didn't get it I was gonna have you do a remote log in.

Those toolbars can be quite pesky to remove. They track your online activity, redirect you to other sales sites to make commissions, etc...nasty stuff.

VAisForEagleLovers
01-08-2015, 08:38 PM
I've noticed that Photobucket opens a new tab every time I open it and click 'Library'. Maybe, Brooke, you inadvertently clicked something on that new tab and it put something on your computer? Since it only happens on Photobucket, I know it's not my computer. Where I work, they block ads completely and this is the reason why. Unfortunately, they went too far and it's why I can't buy tickets on Ticketmaster, because they see the Captcha code (the 'prove you're a human' code) as an advertisement. It's very frustrating to always try to stay one step ahead of the malware and still leave your computer functioning the way you need it to for the things you want.

Brooke
01-09-2015, 01:07 PM
Seems to be working still, so looks like I got it!

I agree, VA, you have to be so careful about what you're clicking on! :fear:

WalshFan88
01-10-2015, 12:15 AM
SO true. Unchecky helps avoid installed adware when installing other programs that sneak it in. But online it's a danger zone and you always have to be on the alert.

EagleLady
01-18-2015, 07:24 PM
Austin, Ever since I restored my Computer I have not been able to play Youtube videos on it, I keep getting an error has occurred please try again later.

WalshFan88
01-18-2015, 08:44 PM
Austin, Ever since I restored my Computer I have not been able to play Youtube videos on it, I keep getting an error has occurred please try again later.

What browser are you using?

If it's not Chrome, you will need to install Flash Player for both IE and Firefox...they use separate versions. Chrome has Flash Player built in.

If you have Flash installed or it's Chrome, it's a bit more tricky to diagnose. Try all three browsers, and see which don't play. If there is just one, I'd say it's software related, I find it hard to believe it'd be Malware on a newly restored computer.

EagleLady
01-18-2015, 09:03 PM
It works on Chrome so Apparently its not compatable with IE Anymore.

WalshFan88
01-21-2015, 12:00 AM
It works on Chrome so Apparently its not compatable with IE Anymore.

Try uninstalling Flash Player for ActiveX/IE and reinstalling it. :)

VAisForEagleLovers
05-04-2015, 09:19 PM
An article about a new kind of virus called ransomware... It is so important not to click on links in emails, Twitter, Facebook, even here unless you trust the link. For this site, I have a rule...if it's a new member I don't like on a link they post. Also, I've noticed that the Google alerts lately have been even worse than usual. The 'headline' will be something I'm interested in, but the site that's listed is something totally unrelated to the headline (the actual links are embedded in a Google redirection, so you can't tell where it will take you for sure).

http://www.wjla.com/articles/2015/05/new-ransomware-will-lock-your-pc-demand-700-113718.html

WalshFan88
05-05-2015, 10:12 PM
Ransomware is bad stuff, but generally is easy to remove (at least for me).

What's horrible is cryptolocker and it's 101 variants that encrypts your files and if you are attached to a network share, mapped drive, or domain, it will lock your coworkers files as well. :( Also some will encrypt any external drives that are plugged in when the virus hits. Can also infect home networks and file sharing.

VAisForEagleLovers
05-05-2015, 10:21 PM
I think this last one is what the article was referring to!

WalshFan88
05-05-2015, 11:44 PM
It started as annoyanceware, simply locking you out of your system (FBI/police ransomware saying your computer is locked down). The Crypto variants are hard. It's easy to remove all ransomware, including the Crypto stuff, but the damage is done.

Me, I know where this stuff hides. To get into a locked system, I go into Safe Mode with Command Prompt or "Minimal Boot" in Windows 8. At the command prompt, type explorer. It loads the UI without the shell startup items.

Then I go check three folders for the ransomware or fake antivirus:

C:\ProgramData
C:\Users\"your name"\AppData

Inside of AppData I go into Local, look for anything suspicious and remove it. Then I open the Temp folder inside of Local and empty it. Then I go back into the main AppData folder and go into Roaming and again, look for suspicious files.

ProgramData is another place to look for suspicious files and remove them.

In the Registry Editor, there are places to look for startup items. Unlike MSConfig or Windows 8 Task Manager, rather than disable startup items I can delete them. A few places to check but too hard to list. It's easier to use Sysinternals Autoruns "all locations" and search. It does the deep digging for you. It even has the ability to check suspicious files you think may be malware.

For other startup locations, check C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\All Programs\Startup. Then check C:\Users\"your name"\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\All Programs\Startup.

Glennsallnighter
05-06-2015, 03:15 AM
You are quite a computer tech Austin! Most of what you are saying here sounds like double dutch to me! I have two situations, either the computer works, or it doesn't, if it doesn't I leave it into a local repair place. Luckily I've had very few issues in over 10 years of laptop computing.

WalshFan88
05-06-2015, 04:20 AM
You are quite a computer tech Austin! Most of what you are saying here sounds like double dutch to me! I have two situations, either the computer works, or it doesn't, if it doesn't I leave it into a local repair place. Luckily I've had very few issues in over 10 years of laptop computing.

It's really second nature to me.

It's funny as until recently I've never owned a PC for very long. I recently bought an HP Stream 11 for portability, free Office for a year, and the ability to carry it around for testing networks and such.

I'm a Mac guy, but I know Windows like the back of my hand and use it all the time. My interest lies in cybersecurity, software/operating system, some networking stuff, and in complex malware removal, malware removal being what I do for people the most. I prefer the software side although I do change out RAM and hard drives, pretty easy stuff.

The most of what I do is tuneups though. You wouldn't believe how much satisfaction you can give someone by taking their slow-as-molasses PC and making it run proper again. I did that on vacation in Florida for an older gentleman in the park. He also wanted Windows 8.1 to look like Windows 7.

So I cleaned it (I use a combo of manual cleaning in specific folders, CCleaner with CCEnhancer, BleachBit, Tron script, etc) and put on Classic Shell to get rid of the Metro screen, boot straight to the desktop, and have a Windows 7 style start menu. He was verrrrrry happy. The thing with cleaning though is you HAVE to make sure they know their passwords or can easily reset them. You'll also need to let them know that any preferences on websites such as how they look will need to be reset. That said, the benefit is well worth a minor aggravation of putting everything back in. I also defrag with Auslogics Disk Defrag if needed, but only if it's a spinning hard drive. Defragging a SSD/solid state drive will shorten it's life. I also optimize the startup routine using either MSConfig/Task Manager (disable something) or Sysinternals Autoruns if I need to delete a startup object entirely. And the most controversial thing I do cleaning-wise is that I often clean the registry. It's not often recommended but I'm very careful and manually check every box rather than have it set to auto-nuke everything. And backups of the registry are a must. That said, I find it fixes a lot of errors when reinstalling old software and then I defrag the registry itself and it speeds up the startup process. The tools I use for the registry are two - CCleaner's registry cleaner and Auslogics Registry Cleaner. I use Auslogics Registry Defrag to defrag it.

Brooke
05-06-2015, 09:49 AM
You are quite a computer tech Austin! Most of what you are saying here sounds like double dutch to me! I have two situations, either the computer works, or it doesn't, if it doesn't I leave it into a local repair place.

That's me! And Austin has helped me immensely a couple times! :thumbsup:

WalshFan88
05-07-2015, 05:41 PM
And it gets worse.

This very-new variant will delete your Master Boot Record when techs go to remove it, rendering your computer unbootable. Fixable, but definitely not easy and certainly not for home users.

http://www.techradar.com/us/news/software/security-software/meet-the-rombertik-the-malware-that-self-destructs-when-discovered-1293134

Glennsallnighter
05-07-2015, 05:52 PM
That was a lovely kind gesture to that gentleman in Florida Austin. Any chance you will be on Florida in June and you can take ALL my computers! lol!

WalshFan88
05-07-2015, 09:56 PM
I wish I was GA!

I go normally in November and March.

I will be going in November and coming back through Nashville, meeting my dad for a guitar expo there so November will be a shorter visit than March.

If you ever need remote help though, send me a PM!

Brooke
09-29-2015, 11:59 AM
Austin, I hope you're around and could answer a couple questions, or anybody else if they know!

I keep getting invites from Windows to get the free copy of windows 10. Should I if everything is going good as is?

And, all of a sudden I've started getting facebook notifications popping up when I'm online anywhere, even here, but I'm not on Fb. What have I done?

AlreadyGone95
09-29-2015, 12:16 PM
Brooke, I believe that I can answer your first question. One of my uncles did that about a month ago. He's about as computer illiterate as they come, and just did it. Then, he had all sorts of problems. I can't remember exactly what they were, but I believe that Windows would boot up, but he couldn't get a connection(he has wifi and a dsl connection), and he didn't have any icons showing up.
Luckily, Windows offered a " free 30 day trial". If you weren't pleased, you could restore your old version of Windows. Between his brother and me, we managed to get it back for him after a few days of work. I honestly wouldn't recommend doing the free upgrade. I don't know how legitimate it is. If you wanted to buy Windows 10, that's different, but free stuff usually doesn't have everything that the regular version has. If you're happy with whatever OS (operating system) you have now, I suggest that you stick to it. I'm still running Windows Vista!

Your second question, I'm not sure about. I've never heard of something like that happening. I'd suggest looking at your Facebook's settings and see if it has an option like that.

Brooke
09-29-2015, 01:10 PM
Thanks, AG! Kinda what I expected on the Windows 10 deal!

As far as the other, I've checked my Fb settings and I don't think I've changed anything!

AlreadyGone95
09-29-2015, 02:18 PM
My next suggestion would be to go to the Facebook Community help page, and see if one of their professionals can help. Here's the link: https://www.facebook.com/help/community. Explain exactly what's happening. Hopefully, someone can help you figure out what's going on.

Brooke
09-29-2015, 04:20 PM
Ok, thanks AG!

AlreadyGone95
09-29-2015, 04:59 PM
You're welcome. :). Hope that you can get it fixed.

-----------

Ok, I'd like some opinions please. I've got 2 laptops and my phone.(both laptops are Dell and have Windows Vista and the phone is a Samsung galaxy s4) That's what I use for my internet. One laptop is my uncle's. It's about 10 years old, but works great. (I'm using it right now to post this) He doesn't have internet service at his house, so he lets me keep it at my house and he can use it if/when he needs to. The only problem with it is it's so bulky. 17 inch screens and weighs probably 10 pounds. It's not good for mobility.
The other laptop is about 5 years old. My grandmother bought it (used) for me to use for school back in 2012. It had Windows 7, but it crashed, and there was no back up for it. My uncle had a Windows Vista disc, and he put that on there. The only problem was that some drivers didn't install right. I have no wifi capability on it. I use my phone(verizon) with its "mobile hotspot" to connect to the internet on other devices(like my uncle's laptop) and it's works great. Right now, my laptop is completely useless to me, though.

With the release of Windows 10, I know that support for Vista won't last much longer. My uncle and I have discussed this. He's wanting to get Windows 7 installed on both laptops. I'm in between. Because of the possibility of college next year, I'm thinking about asking my grandmother to help me upgrade to a newer laptop. Another possibility is to buy Windows 7 and get an internet device from Verizon. It plugs into a USB port and I could use my laptop with no problem. I know that for college, I'm gonna need more than my phone and my uncle's bulky laptop just wouldn't cut it. Right now, I use my phone for 90% of my internet needs(this site, Facebook, Last fm, email, Spotify, google searches etc).

I'm just trying to figure out what's best for me, but at a reasonable price. (budget reasons). I'd thought a tablet, but with my disability, I'd have a hard time using it.

Freypower
09-29-2015, 05:53 PM
Austin, I hope you're around and could answer a couple questions, or anybody else if they know!

I keep getting invites from Windows to get the free copy of windows 10. Should I if everything is going good as is?

And, all of a sudden I've started getting facebook notifications popping up when I'm online anywhere, even here, but I'm not on Fb. What have I done?

With Windows 10 we resisted it until Monday when Mike installed it. We were then flooded with malware & it took him half a day to get rid of it. I then found that my own account settings remained as if we still had Windows 7 so I had to create a new account so of course I lost iTunes & had to reinstall it so lost all the play counts. What is now annoying me is that from time to time my Windows Mail states my account is out of date so I have to reenter the password. Overall I wouldn't say Windows 10 is that much of an improvement. The big changes is that Internet Explorer is now called Edge & they've taken half the settings away so you can't customise it.

Brooke
09-30-2015, 09:20 AM
Fp, what a pain! I'm glad I didn't install it!

AG, I went to the Fb community as you suggested and got an answer and it seems to have solved the problem! I think it turned out to be a content setting. How it got changed, I have no clue! But, so far all is good! Thanks!

AlreadyGone95
09-30-2015, 11:45 AM
You're welcome, Brooke. I'm glad that they were able to help you. :)

L101
09-30-2015, 04:35 PM
I installed the free Windows 10 upgrade from Windows 8.1 3 weeks ago and I find it a huge improvement. 8.1 worked fine until recently when I became so fed up with it that I went ahead with the Windows 10 upgrade.
Apart from getting used to the layout, I like it. I did have to reinstall itunes and a few other media players, but apart from that, have had no other problems. And it solved the problems I had been having with 8.1.
I am finding it awkward though trying to get my bookmarks etc sorted on Edge but still have Chrome as backup.

WalshFan88
09-30-2015, 09:49 PM
Wow, I'm behind. :lol:

Brooke:

Answer 1: Don't upgrade if you are on 7, upgrade if you are on 8/8.1. 7 is better than 10, but 10 is better than 8 (IMO obviously).

Answer 2: You either have inadvertenly installed a Facebook browser plugin, or have some type of adware presenting you alerts. What browser do you run mainly?

AG:

I'd recommend getting rid of Vista. Vista and 8/8.1 are horrible, 7 and even 10 are way better.

The options as I see it is to upgrade the computer you have, but it's bulky and older.

Or buy a nice midlevel laptop with Windows 10 on it. Depending on your needs, you may be able to get something like an HP Stream laptop. I have the 11 inch model for travel but they make an 11 inch, a 13 inch, and a 14 inch. The 11 and 13 come in blue or pink (not kidding), but the 14 comes in silver which looks quite nice. The streams run browser and office apps fine. Video editing is a no go, as is intensive fancy games (not facebook type games but actual 3d video games). Otherwise for someone to haul around a campus, the Stream is a solid choice.

Hope that answers everything.