PDA

View Full Version : May 26th Wiltern Theatre LA

Glennsallnighter
05-27-2012, 05:46 AM
Just a few quick lines to say WE HAD A FABULOUS TIME at Glenn:heart:'s final gig of this leg of the tour. He was in great form, sang superbly and had a few surprises up his sleeve. Nancy and I had front row seats - we could almost touch him! Better review and pics to follow as its now 2:45 am.

It was didficult to organise but I am just sooooo glad and grateful that I was able to take this opportunity. It is a decision I will never regret!

Freypower
05-27-2012, 05:48 AM
Hi all.

I have four words. The Heat Is On. Now I am going to bed! :heart::heart:

GlennLover
05-27-2012, 07:07 AM
Glad to hear Glenn was in great form. I had a hunch that he would be for this show (for all of you)! Can't wait to hear the details & see the pics!!!:heart:

Koala
05-27-2012, 07:28 AM
I'm so happy that you all had a fantastic time! Can't wait To hear more!

sodascouts
05-27-2012, 12:09 PM
I'm in the airport at Las Vegas now waiting for my connecting flight, and I had to come on and add a few comments. I didn't post last night because we got back from Dan Tana's around 2 am or so and I had to be up for a 6:55 flight , so I tried to grab what sleep I could. I overslept but luckily GA woke me up and I made my flight with just minutes to spare! BTW Glenn's promotion is getting results. I am wearing my After Hours shirt and while I struck a pose to be scanned, the security officer - a big black man - read my shirt and commented he had read about Glenn's new album in the LA Times and thought he would check it out. Of course I encouraged him to do so enthusiastically, lol.

Last night was very special. There was the orchestra which added a depth that enhanced the show, but since this is Glenn's adopted hometown, there were other cool additions. His son Otis was playing percussion on YBTTC. He was a hoot because he was hamming it up back there, waving his arms on occasion like he was doing some kind of tribal thing. Dang, time flies. That little kid who almost ran over me four years ago at Manhattan Beach Lodge now looks like a miniature Deacon. Speaking of family moments, Glenn said "This one's for Cindy" before launching into "For Sentimental Reasons." He always puts heart into it but that dedication made it extra sweet.

He also did "Here's to Life" and it was magnificent. I went into the show not even liking this song but he sold it so well I wound up giving him a standing ovation for it - and I wasn't the only one!

To my delight, Glenn said he was going to tell different jokes this time and, while a couple remained, what he mostly did was tell stories about the songs. GA and I were in the perfect position because when he told the stories, he was angled to where he was looking right at us. Very cool!

Celeb sightings : Jack Tempchin was there and got a shout out from Glenn. I saw him in the lobby but was unable to get his attention and thus left him alone. I didn't want to be a nuisance by chasing after the man, despite how sweet he was to me in Nashville several months ago. I doubt he remembers that anyway. Irving Azoff and his wife Shelli were also there and got a shout out. Glenn was dissing his old label MCA - which he called "Music Cemetary of America" - and added "That was before they were run by Irving Azoff, my manager, who is here with his manager Shelli." lol! I almost plowed into Mr. Azoff when I was leaving but managed to avoid that ignominious exit by dodging to the left, at which point I had to do some fancy footwork to avoid knocking over Mrs. Azoff. She seemed very sweet and smiled at me as I bobbed and weaved rather than looking annoyed, which I appreciated! Another sighting on the way out was Robert Wuhl of Arli$$ fame.

Back to the show while I have a little time; more will be added later. Glenn was vocally very strong and the most animated I've seen him this tour.

Ack, we're already boarding! Later, alligators!

VAisForEagleLovers
05-27-2012, 12:43 PM
He also did "Here's to Life" and it was magnificent.

I CAN'T BELIEVE I MISSED IT!! I'm thinking about crying over it! :weep: I seriously seriously hope he does more shows on this side of the Atlantic AND keeps that song in the setlist.

I'm glad the show went so well and I'm really glad you all had a good time. Can't wait to hear more...

GlennLover
05-27-2012, 01:46 PM
Soda, thank you for posting & telling us a bit about the show. I'm so anxious to hear about it! I'm glad that it was such a special show! FP & GA must be over the moon!

Is Otis a permanent member of his Dad's band now? :lol: I remember thinking when we saw him in Aspen how sweet he was!

Speaking of family moments, Glenn said "This one's for Cindy" before launching into "For Sentimental Reasons." He always puts heart into it but that dedication made it extra sweet.

I love to hear about him saying & doing things like that. :heart: What a caring husband he is!

Cool that you saw Jack Tempchin & the Azoff's!

He also did "Here's to Life" and it was magnificent. I went into the show not even liking this song but he sold it so well I wound up giving him a standing ovation for it - and I wasn't the only one!

I think I would have passed right out of the picture after hearing the ending "here's to you". :fainting:

Thanks again for posting. I hope you can get some rest before you have to go to work!

Glennhoney
05-27-2012, 01:57 PM
OMG..little Otis hitting the drums...how special is that???
Can't wait for the pics and more fab reviews....you are VERY lucky girls...:heart:

timfan
05-27-2012, 02:03 PM
I guess "little" Otis isn't so little anymore! This is absoultely precious!

sodascouts
05-27-2012, 06:51 PM
Back in Memphis. I have an out-of- town friend arriving any minute, so I probably won't be able to post much.... But let me just say I think GA's photos are gonna be a big hit around here!

timfan
05-27-2012, 07:14 PM
WOOT!!! Can't wait to see them!!

GlennLover
05-27-2012, 08:53 PM
WOOT!!! Can't wait to see them!!

Neither can I!!! :partytime::sigh:

Koala
05-28-2012, 12:39 AM
Can't wait to see the photos!

Soda, Thanks for your first impressions of the show!

Freypower
05-28-2012, 01:05 AM
Everyone, I just wish to share that I was seated in Floor B where Cindy, Jack and other invited guests were seated and that as Glenn gave a shout out to the people in Floor B I felt honoured that I was there. I glanced at Cindy when he dedicated For Sentimental Reasons to her and when Otis was playing on YBTTC.

I cant say much now but the absolute highlights were the epic (Glenn,s word) Here's To Life, the jazz THIO which was extraordinary and also the way he moved during Route 66. -All day GA and I have been talking about the way he slid his hand into his pocket. It was just sexy, thats all. For me watching him stand and sing for so long unemcumbered by a guitar was wonderful. I am so glad I was there, it was an absolute privilege. More when I get home!

Glennsallnighter
05-28-2012, 01:30 AM
Everyone, I just wish to share that I was seated in Floor B where Cindy, Jack and other invited guests were seated and that as Glenn gave a shout out to the people in Floor B I felt honoured that I was there. I glanced at Cindy when he dedicated For Sentimental Reasons to her and when Otis was playing on YBTTC.

I cant say much now but the absolute highlights were the epic (Glenn,s word) Here's To Life, the jazz THIO which was extraordinary and also the way he moved during Route 66. -All day GA and I have been talking about the way he slid his hand into his pocket. It was just sexy, thats all. For me watching him stand and sing for so long unemcumbered by a guitar was wonderful. I am so glad I was there, it was an absolute privilege. More when I get home!

This mannerism had to be seen. This was NOT a guy just putting his hand in his pocket. He knew exactly what he was doing.........:wink::wink:..... Say no more.....

EaglesKiwi
05-28-2012, 04:21 AM
This mannerism had to be seen. This was NOT a guy just putting his hand in his pocket. He knew exactly what he was doing.........:wink::wink:..... Say no more.....
The imagination is going into overdrive!

So glad you all had such a wonderful time. Big :grouphug: and safe travels to you all. Looking forward to hearing more when you've all rested up!

sodascouts
05-28-2012, 10:55 AM
I had to get online while my friend was asleep to check out the board! I have to say that I don't know what GA and FP are talking about... I guess he put his hand in his pocket although I didn't take special note of it, but what is the significance of that? He had sexy moves of course, but I think he just moves that way naturally. What do you mean "he knew exactly what he was doing" GA? I'm completely clueless here!

BurtBiggins
05-28-2012, 11:04 AM
Guess what Gelnn Frey? You can't sing any longer. I was very disappointed in your Wiltern show. I knew from the very first verse of Peaceful Easy Feeling that your done.

Forty five minutes of your "After Hours" lounge music almost put me to sleep! And how dare you even attempt to try to sing a Lena Horne song - geesh!.

Best part of the show was your last three songs.

I would suggest you try to get the band together for a real show.

Glennhoney
05-28-2012, 11:17 AM
Guess what Gelnn Frey? You can't sing any longer. I was very disappointed in your Wiltern show. I knew from the very first verse of Peaceful Easy Feeling that your done.

Forty five minutes of your "After Hours" lounge music almost put me to sleep! And how dare you even attempt to try to sing a Lena Horne song - geesh!.

WHY IN THE WORLD DID YOU GO????????????

sodascouts
05-28-2012, 11:26 AM
Sorry you didn't enjoy the show, but you joined this board just to say that?!

Ah well, haters gonna hate.

BTW pet peeve of mine - it's "you're done" not "your done."

VAisForEagleLovers
05-28-2012, 11:41 AM
FP and GA - Wow, he must have done something a LOT different than he did in previous shows.

Burt - I'm sorry to hear you didn't enjoy the show. I'm at the opposite end of the spectrum from you. While I'm a big fan of his, I never attended a solo concert of his before (most of that had to do with my work situation), but I love the 'After Hours' type of music and I'm greatly impressed with the way he performs them. Knowing that he would be singing six or seven songs from the new CD is what prompted me to go to four of the shows on this tour, and I'll go to more if he gets around to scheduling them.

GlennLover
05-28-2012, 01:12 PM
Thanks for your posts, GA & FP, to tide us over until your full reviews! You are all so privileged to have been at this show!!! Each of you, have safe trips home!

P.S. I can imagine the move that you are describing :censored: :laugh:.

Henley Honey
05-28-2012, 03:57 PM

You know what Burt? There is something to be said for an incisive and intelligent review. Spelling and grammar really do matter. Constructive criticism is always welcomed -- and then there's your "review". Had you made an intelligent, thought-provoking comment about the structure, tone or arrangement of an individual song, I might have entertained your rantings. I think you should lose your pre-conceived ideas of the sterotypical Glenn "sound" and open your ears to the beauty of this music. If you decide it's not your thing, fair enough. But nobody likes a hater. I'm just sayin . . . . .

TimothyBFan
05-28-2012, 04:47 PM

:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious: Yeah, he's really washed up, that's why so many fans follow him and the Eagles all over the country, or other countries, seeing their shows.

Do want to ask tho, if you knew After Hours was "lounge music", and you obviously don't care for "lounge music", why would you waste your money? Most intelligent individuals don't spend money on things they don't like, voluntarily. Just saying.....

Thanks for the reviews so far, girls!!! Wonderful!!

Soda, I had to chuckle about the whole almost running over Irving. All I could think to myself was how easy that would be because in your platform shoes, you were probably 2 feet above him which made him hard to see. :hilarious:

Troubadour
05-28-2012, 06:05 PM
I'm so glad you ladies had such a great time. I hope Lisa is sleeping soundly on her long flight home right now! Can't wait to hear more about it and to see her pictures.

Jess & I watched a couple of Glenn's recent TV performances when I was in Oklahoma and I have to agree that the hand in the pocket thing is very sexy! He looks so classy but casual... like a real crooner. Love his silver suits, too.

sodascouts
05-29-2012, 03:18 AM
Soda, I had to chuckle about the whole almost running over Irving. All I could think to myself was how easy that would be because in your platform shoes, you were probably 2 feet above him which made him hard to see. :hilarious:

Those black platform dress sandals take me from 5'5'' to 5'9''. Gotta love 'em!

Glennsallnighter
05-29-2012, 03:49 AM
You looked fantastic on Saturday night Soda! The shoes really suited you.

Well I'm home! Made it to work with 20 mins to spare! Hopefully I will be able to get my thoughts together and post a proper review later this evening.

But one thing........ Glenn :heart: Frey :iloveyou:

Thank you for a wonderful concert!

Troubadour
05-29-2012, 07:08 AM
I have no idea how you are coping with work today, after such a long flight! I hope the day whizzes by and that you can relax when you get home and relive the experience.

I have to say, Lisa has given me a sneak peek of her pics, and they are delicious!

GlennLover
05-29-2012, 09:16 AM
Lisa, you get your rest! Don't worry about posting until after you get some sleep. :zzz:As anxious as we are - it will certainly be worth the wait! :p Hope you have a good day at work. :hug:

Brooke
05-29-2012, 11:45 AM
Ladies, I'm so happy for all of you! I was sure Glenn would make it a night to remember. Can't wait to hear more details when everyone is home and rested up.

Burt, I have to ask, too, if you knew you didn't like 'lounge music', why did you go in the first place?

Freypower
05-29-2012, 06:19 PM
I had to get online while my friend was asleep to check out the board! I have to say that I don't know what GA and FP are talking about... I guess he put his hand in his pocket although I didn't take special note of it, but what is the significance of that? He had sexy moves of course, but I think he just moves that way naturally. What do you mean "he knew exactly what he was doing" GA? I'm completely clueless here!

Hi all, I'm home safe.

I can only repeat that GA & I thought it was sexy the way he used his hands & that included sliding his right hand in his pocket. Perhaps the 'he knew what he was doing' part should have been kept between GA & myself.

I have nothing to say to the person who said he 'can't sing any more'.

Glennsallnighter
05-29-2012, 06:30 PM
Glad you are back safe FP! I was thinking about your trip today. Hope it went well.

Troubadour
05-29-2012, 06:35 PM
Glad everyone arrived home safely!

VAisForEagleLovers
05-29-2012, 06:36 PM
Glad both you ladies are back home and, and sound. And very glad you had such a great trip!

sodascouts
05-29-2012, 06:38 PM
Glad everyone's back safe and sound!

Here are some professional photos from the show:

http://www.gettyimages.com/Search/Search.aspx?query=z.i.H4sIAAAAAAAEAOy9B2AcSZYlJi9t ynt_SvVK1-B0oQiAYBMk2JBAEOzBiM3mkuwdaUcjKasqgcplVmVdZhZAzO2d vPfee--999577733ujudTif33_8_XGZkAWz2zkrayZ4hgKrIHz9-fB8_In7dfLn91et79-79Hr_2tFr8umeL7CL_NX-NX-PXeEz_Ty7KfLlMz-v8-tcc4cNf49fBP7_Wl8tfY8Pza5qfSV1V7cuszhbNr6Of_Vr4_-4Omnzr17CQfnfz6m-Gf35j-v-v9-71dXP6zoD7Nb2_GUx2bn79NfV3QP61s_Op7d3_49fGBzvc-aJ1b7rffx1qXNov7F9479elP-qFBRv--evjo1389evx5xMLo_M3v3YeQrF_MpQdC-W8A8X9za_VIRT7J0PZs1DqDhT3N1EmNy_xH0yeX0PJtItPf0Pz NSaDaUs0yVfm018z-OvXzieN_cb8wcTOHQ7e779W7pp7v__azWplP8cfBsffyr54OXU vut9_nar2WMX-xV9Ncv8r8xeeX3t2Zdn41zR_gE9_nWbtjSf469fOM4eB_wf9vv K_sH_8uk0ALfzz13737LnjV_rDfpHVHm7eH79RM61W-ZP1clZ6RAw-NQB_HHAe7NzH778O8dDaNg_--nXmtfwhFMJfBsLHgLC39xC_E5s4wfH_-PVe5Fd50_4_AQAA__-CMgbqRwQAAA..&sx=AllEditorial

Glennsallnighter
05-29-2012, 06:44 PM

Was there another Wiltern show Burt? :wink: Coz I don't think you were at the one I did an 18000 km round weekend trip for - the one on 26th May! The one I went to was amazing! It showed Glenn :heart: singing in a whole different style, and I loved it. But he also DID keep some of his old songs too! A daring and eclectic set list. I loved all the 'After Hours' material, and as for the new arrangement of THIO.... it blew me away.

Pics are going into Photobucket, but I am going to bed..... Its been a Loooong day!

GlennLover
05-29-2012, 08:06 PM
Thanks for leting us know that you got home safely, FP. Have a good rest.

GA, have a good night's sleep. Sweet dreams! :blush: :wink:

Freypower
05-29-2012, 08:09 PM
I have managed to access the Getty photos of the Wiltern show & the Jay Leno performance of Route 66. I am sure someone said this performance was on YouTube. If so, I can't find it.

lizzyplays
05-29-2012, 08:44 PM
Glad to hear that everyone had a great time at the LA show and made it back home safely!! Sounds like it was a really great and special show! Has anyone posted pics on here yet? Sorry, I have been super busy with work, and a spur of the moment beach trip...!!

Is BB the new mascot troll? I didn't get the memo.

Freypower
05-30-2012, 01:14 AM
GA got photos. I did not; I was too far away, though I had a good view.

Oh, and by the way Here's To Life was sung by Shirley Horn, just as Glenn stated, not Lena Horne. I don't respond to trolls but sometimes I believe it helps to get facts straight. As I said it was the highlight of the show and it's my favourite track on the album.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmoIkh6BC-g

GlennLover
05-30-2012, 12:16 PM
GA got photos. I did not; I was too far away, though I had a good view.

Oh, and by the way Here's To Life was sung by Shirley Horn, just as Glenn stated, not Lena Horne. I don't respond to trolls but sometimes I believe it helps to get facts straight. As I said it was the highlight of the show and it's my favourite track on the album.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmoIkh6BC-g

That was beautiful. Glenn certainly stayed true to the original.

Freypower
05-30-2012, 07:55 PM
Here is my review. I will probably have to divide it into two parts. I have edited it from the copious notes I wrote at LAX. Most of it is about the After Hours songs.

When Glenn came out in his black suit he got a huge response & acknowledged the crowd by raising his arm. It was hard to believe I was seeing him live for the third successive year!

The first three songs were PEF, TS & LE. They were perfect as always. He did 'plaintiff' but slightly differently; he said 'I'm not doing that'. He sounded great.

Then he put down the guitar & announced the start of the After Hours bracket. I should say that he scattered the band intros througout the show; I thought this was very clever as it added to the sense of occasion. I love Reggie, the double bass player who also did some electric bass, & Tom Evans, the sax/flute player who was excellent.

Glenn honestly now seems liberated without the guitar. He didn't just sing Route 66, he completely inhabited it. This is where I wrote about the sliding his hand into his pocket thing & I said 'I had trouble staying calm'. After this was For Sentimental Reasons, dedicated to Cindy. Then The Shadow Of Your Smile which was intense. He said he was meant to sing these songs & he was right. When he reached for the high notes you could see him gearing up & breathing deeply. However he varies his delivery; 'I will be remembering' was sung softly.

I think Same Girl was next (apologies if the order isn't entirely correct) & this is one of my personal highlights. It was just beautiful. What can I say? After praising Mr Newman he said 'I'm going to sing you one of his songs' (love it when he says out loud he's going to sing as opposed to play, which is what he said before Here's To Life).

The Santa Monica Youth Orchestra, led by Alan Broadbent, added their talents to these songs. Again it is hard to describe this. They complemented his voice. When he wasn't singing he watched everybody else He is not stiff or awkward. He is a natural performer who as I said appears to have been liberated by this music.

They were doing Here's To Life for the first time ('and maybe the last' he said, to which I say I hope not). He said Alan Broadbent had asked him what was the most laidback song he knew & he said something about Ray Charles at Atlanta, to which Alan told him about Here's To Life. He warned the audience there would be pauses & they should be quiet & then he launched into it. He threw himself into it with complete passion & of course the audience started cheering him on. I honestly can't remember anything like that at any show I have ever seen. It was the highlight of the night.

Freypower
05-30-2012, 08:12 PM
Part 2

Then came the 'haunting' (his word) Caroline, No. He said the Beach Boys were pioneers & the Eagles were settlers. He nailed it, of course. When I was watching his face between songs he had a huge smile on his face and you could see hie was enjoying himself. He took his earpiece out several times when he was really into it.

He also nailed The Look Of Love but although he picked up the percussion blocks he barely used them. By the time he did the song was nearly over. The way he holds the last 'you' before 'don't ever go/I love you so' is perfect.

He played acoustic guitar in Worried Mind. He almost seemed reluctant to play it. He took it off again for After Hours which of course was superb. The whole bracket - 9 SONGS - was extraordinary.

For The One You Love he played a white Duesenberg guitar (I note in Washington he played the Sunburst). It was good but then he took the guitar off again & casually stated that they had rearranged one of his old songs. This was of course The Heat Is On & I urge everyone to watch the YouTube Washington video to get the idea. It was like freeform jazz. You didn't know what he was going to do or how he was going to move around. I have to see this again; he is talking about making it the centrepiece of his next album. :smokin::drool::singer: As I often say he is so cool you could skate on him.

After that we had Swamp Smuggler's Blues (some great YOWs at the end), WBSIMB & YBTTC with 'guest percussionist Otis Frey'. I am happy to say he sang it in his normal voice & didn't falter; but oh, how he can spit!

The first encore feaatured the orchestra with TITTL & then Desperado (is it significant that he played this before TIE? I hope so) & it was the first time I had seen him sing the full version of that song. When he came back he talked about how 'one of the songs I want to sing' with the Eagles was On The Way Home & it rocked.

As for Take It Easy he told us it was released 40 years ago this month. He said the song was about self-reliance, looking after yourself first. I was familiar with this philosophy as I had read him saying it in an interview but it was the first time I had seen him say it.

The whole thing was astonishing & he must do it again, that's all (my new favourite phrase, from Same Girl & a certain Genesis song, Koala). It was a privilege to have been there.

VAisForEagleLovers
05-30-2012, 08:51 PM
Excellent review, FP! Thank you! Although I'm still very :jealous: that he sang Here's To Life. I really really really hope it's not the last time playing it! I assumed Desperado was in the next to last encore with TITTL because the symphony played it and they didn't with TIE.

As I told Zelda while she was visiting, I searched several computers until I found my MP3s of Buffalo Springfield and listened to On The Way Home. Glenn very definitely sings it better.

GlennLover
05-30-2012, 09:29 PM
Thank you, FP, for that wonderful review! I'm so glad that the show had such meaning & so many memories for you. Of course, I am :jealous: too, LOL! How I would have loved to have heard "Here's To Life"! I still get thrills down my spine when I hear him sing "to dreamers & their dreams". :faint:

I have a couple of questions. Many people have mentioned the "new" version of Smuggler's Blues that he has been performing in these concerts. Am I correct in assuming that this version is the one he has been doing for some time, the one he played in Niagara Falls?

I was also wondering if his parents were there, as they were a large part of the reason he did the album.

Thanks again, for the review!

Freypower
05-30-2012, 09:44 PM
Thank you, FP, for that wonderful review! I'm so glad that the show had such meaning & so many memories for you. Of course, I am :jealous: too, LOL! How I would have loved to have heard "Here's To Life"! I still get thrills down my spine when I hear him sing "to dreamers & their dreams". :faint:

I have a couple of questions. Many people have mentioned the "new" version of Smuggler's Blues that he has been performing in these concerts. Am I correct in assuming that this version is the one he has been doing for some time, the one he played in Niagara Falls?

I was also wondering if his parents were there, as they were a large part of the reason he did the album.

Thanks again, for the review!

Yes, it's Swamp Smuggler's Blues, which I love.

I saw an elderly couple in the VIP section who I wondered were Glenn's parents but as he didn't mention that they were there, I don't think they were.

Koala
05-31-2012, 12:16 AM
Thanks so much FP, for that fantastic review.

Glennsallnighter
05-31-2012, 04:38 AM
I finally have a few minutes off and will put up some pictures. Let me say at the outset, I did not take as many as I have taken at Eagles gigs. I was sitting right in the front row and did not want to over do it, or to annoy Glenn :heart: by snapping every time he looked at me. Also I have to admit, I wanted to enjoy the concert for itself and not want to be distracted by constantly worrying about camera settings and pics etc. So I just set the camera on automatic. Some came out better than others

Early in the show
http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t236/Irisheaglesfan/Glenn%20Frey%20LA%202012/LA2012054.jpg

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t236/Irisheaglesfan/Glenn%20Frey%20LA%202012/LA2012052.jpg

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t236/Irisheaglesfan/Glenn%20Frey%20LA%202012/LA2012051.jpg

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t236/Irisheaglesfan/Glenn%20Frey%20LA%202012/LA2012062.jpghttp://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t236/Irisheaglesfan/Glenn%20Frey%20LA%202012/LA2012057.jpg

Glennsallnighter
05-31-2012, 04:42 AM
For Stephanie!

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t236/Irisheaglesfan/Glenn%20Frey%20LA%202012/LA2012059.jpg

Glenn :heart: was moving and dancing a lot, particularly during songs like Route 66 where he really had a ball! He was loving it!

But it was harder to get stills of him that weren't blurry!

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t236/Irisheaglesfan/Glenn%20Frey%20LA%202012/LA2012061.jpg

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t236/Irisheaglesfan/Glenn%20Frey%20LA%202012/LA2012064.jpg

The 'Hand in the pocket' thing
http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t236/Irisheaglesfan/Glenn%20Frey%20LA%202012/LA2012070.jpg

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t236/Irisheaglesfan/Glenn%20Frey%20LA%202012/LA2012069.jpg

Glennsallnighter
05-31-2012, 04:45 AM
http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t236/Irisheaglesfan/Glenn%20Frey%20LA%202012/LA2012071.jpg

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t236/Irisheaglesfan/Glenn%20Frey%20LA%202012/LA2012073.jpg

This is the best I could get with his hand on the mic Julie! Sorry! Its a little blurry!
http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t236/Irisheaglesfan/Glenn%20Frey%20LA%202012/LA2012075.jpg

Glennsallnighter
05-31-2012, 04:49 AM
http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t236/Irisheaglesfan/Glenn%20Frey%20LA%202012/LA2012086.jpg

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t236/Irisheaglesfan/Glenn%20Frey%20LA%202012/LA2012087.jpg

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t236/Irisheaglesfan/Glenn%20Frey%20LA%202012/LA2012090.jpg

And finally, IMHO this is my best one. It was taken during 'Caroline No'.

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t236/Irisheaglesfan/Glenn%20Frey%20LA%202012/LA2012084.jpg

TimothyBFan
05-31-2012, 08:25 AM

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t236/Irisheaglesfan/Glenn%20Frey%20LA%202012/LA2012084.jpg

Am I being a dunce but what is he holding here? It is a gorgeous picture!

Steph is going to have a fit when she sees that beautiful picture of Will you took for her!!!! :thumbsup:

Glennsallnighter
05-31-2012, 08:41 AM
Willie, I think its some kind of musical instrument that he was using. I think he was knocking the sticks in his hands off each other to create a kind of percussion noise.

VAisForEagleLovers
05-31-2012, 09:52 AM
GA, thanks for the pictures!!!! They are great!

Brooke
05-31-2012, 10:29 AM
Fp, what a wonderful review! Thank you!

I'm so happy for all of you that got to be there! And very :jealous:

Ga, your pics are fabulous! Thanks!

Freypower
05-31-2012, 06:45 PM
Willie, I think its some kind of musical instrument that he was using. I think he was knocking the sticks in his hands off each other to create a kind of percussion noise.

I thought that was during The Look Of Love.

They are great photos GA, as I believe I have already told you several times!!! :heart:

zeldabjr
05-31-2012, 07:06 PM
Hi everyone...glad to see everyone had a great time seeing Glenn and got home safely!...I know it was worth whatever you had to do to make it happen!...great pics as usual...Glenn looked dapper as usual...did I notice a bandage on his left hand or is it me?

Freypower
06-01-2012, 08:02 PM
I did salvage a couple of photos. They are grainy but you can see the orchestra in them. (Steph, you can see Will in a couple - just).

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v242/ozeagle/Solo%20Years/After%20Hours%20Tour/Wiltern27.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v242/ozeagle/Solo%20Years/After%20Hours%20Tour/Wiltern28.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v242/ozeagle/Solo%20Years/After%20Hours%20Tour/Wiltern29.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v242/ozeagle/Solo%20Years/After%20Hours%20Tour/Wiltern30.jpg

Here is the marquee before & after:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v242/ozeagle/Solo%20Years/After%20Hours%20Tour/WilternMarqueeBefore.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v242/ozeagle/Solo%20Years/After%20Hours%20Tour/WilternMarqueeAfter.jpg

Freypower
06-01-2012, 08:22 PM
One more; some of the equipment.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v242/ozeagle/Solo%20Years/After%20Hours%20Tour/WilternEquipment.jpg

Glennsallnighter
06-01-2012, 08:30 PM
Well done FP. And I wanted to get one of the Wiltern lit up but my camera was flat by then. Thanks.

EaglesKiwi
06-02-2012, 02:35 AM
I love that photo of Glenn with his hand in his pocket...:faint:

Glennsallnighter
06-02-2012, 10:26 AM
I thought that was during The Look Of Love.

They are great photos GA, as I believe I have already told you several times!!! :heart:

It could well have been FP. I was so absorbed in the actual concert is easy to forget exactly when I took a pic! Thanks for the compliments ladies! Its a pleasure taking pics when one has such a good looking subject to work on :wink:

lizzyplays
06-02-2012, 12:03 PM
http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t236/Irisheaglesfan/Glenn%20Frey%20LA%202012/LA2012086.jpg

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t236/Irisheaglesfan/Glenn%20Frey%20LA%202012/LA2012087.jpg

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t236/Irisheaglesfan/Glenn%20Frey%20LA%202012/LA2012090.jpg

AMAZING pictures!!! :thumbsup: :jealous:

Troubadour
06-02-2012, 06:27 PM
I agree - gorgeous pictures! You did a fantastic job, Lis. I especially love the first one Lizzy quoted... His expression is too cute!

GlennLover
06-02-2012, 11:46 PM
Oh, ladies, your pictures are GORGEOUS!!!! Thanks so much!!!! :inlove:

StephUK
06-07-2012, 05:05 PM
For Stephanie!

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t236/Irisheaglesfan/Glenn%20Frey%20LA%202012/LA2012059.jpg

BEAUTIFUL :heart:
Thanks SO much. I really needed it (I've been in hospital for 13 days - just got home today).

StephUK
06-07-2012, 05:08 PM
Yes FP, I can see Will in your photos. :bow:He looks so nice in a white shirt, and it makes a change from seeing him in a black one!

Sound like it was another great show. So glad you all enjoyed yourselves.

Koala
06-08-2012, 12:26 AM
WOW! What for amazing photos, thanks so much!

Brooke
06-08-2012, 10:06 AM
That is a great pic of Will!

Steph, yikes! I hope you are all better now!

Glennsallnighter
06-08-2012, 11:27 AM
Thank you all so much. I'm so glad that you are all enjoying the eye candy. I really enjoyed taking all those pics. I got the last one that I posted made into a delicious 12x10 portrait shot. The clarity on its incredible. I always said I'd love to get one really good shot of Glenn :heart: and I think I've finally achieved it!

I also must post my personal review of the show. It's not that I haven't bothered. It's all up in my head. Just need to commit it to text now! I don't suppose it's too late?

Steph, I had noticed your absence and had been going to pm you. Sorry to hear you have been ill in hospital. I hope you are feeling much better and I'm glad Will helped cheer you up!

Cannot believe it was already nearly 2 weeks ago!

VAisForEagleLovers
06-08-2012, 11:43 AM
I also must post my personal review of the show. It's not that I haven't bothered. It's all up in my head. Just need to commit it to text now! I don't suppose it's too late?

It's never too late! We want details!

Glennsallnighter
06-08-2012, 11:48 AM
Cool! You'll get them so! The hub is on double nights this weekend!

Brooke
06-08-2012, 01:06 PM
Yes, it's never too late to hear all about Glenn!

Glennsallnighter
06-09-2012, 07:08 PM
Ok..... so finally, I have had two weeks to mull this over, so I hope I get the salient points right. The first bit is just a bit pf preamble!

So against all the odds (and many of you know what those odds were) I managed to literally (and not totally honestly) squeeze a weekend in LA into my schedule. I had very little time to prepare for this trip, and also had to wind up a few loose ends at work. As well as make 3 plans for the following week depending on if my flight home to Dublin arrived as normal, was delayed slightly, or was majorly delayed. I finally had all my packing done at 2am on Friday morning and set off 4 hours later. Luckily I had no problems with airport security or immigration this time - One of the airport security guys was an Eagles fan. Say no more!! My flights were uneventful apart from losing my reading glasses during the stopover in Atlanta (Where I bought a gorgeous Georgia mug - I have always wanted to visit Atlanta after reading Gone With The Wind, although realistically I only got to the Airport!). I arrived on time in LA and the fun started when I hooked up with Soda about an hour later when her flight landed. We picked up our car and headed out into LA!

Now we knew FP was going to the gig and I had PM'd her quickly just before she went saying that I might get there. She pm'd me her hotel name but said she wouldn't have her phone so wouldn't be contactable. Soda and I booked a room in the same hotel but although she called a few times, FP was having too good a time in LA to be in her room, so she didn't realise we were coming. The good people in the hotel gave us a free upgrade to a suite and as soon as we had dumped our cases we checked out FP! I'll leave it to you guys to guess how surprised she was when Soda called her room! Needless to say, we all 3 headed out for a snack and then stayed chatting in our room until the small hours! The Wiltern was about 5 minutes walk from the hotel and it was such a thrill to see the 'Glenn Frey, Saturday May 26th 2012' across the top of the theatre.

We spent Saturday morning on Sodas 'Eagles Tour of LA' which she had very lovingly put together for us. Starting with breakfast in the Beverly Hills Hotel. Then she drove us through Laurel Canyon and Mulholland Drive - We saw plenty of large mansions!
http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t236/Irisheaglesfan/LA2012024.jpg
After that it was over to the Sunset Grill for lunch, via a fantastic guitar and music store where I bought some guitar picks. I could have stayed there all day! I love music stores.

In the afternoon Soda was meeting a friend for coffee so as I wanted a few bits and pieces FP and I headed out to find a store. On the way back we headed up the side road beside the Wiltern. There were a number of security staff around with 'After Hours' lanyards and a few members of the orchestra arrived. Also there was a large crate outside with GF1 on it, I think FP posted a pic elsewhere. We got talking to a number of guys who had LPs and CDs with them in the hope that Glenn :heart: might come ojut at some stage and would sign them. I went back and got my 'After Hours' CD too, but it wasn't to be! We did have some interesting discussions with them, although IMHO, they weren't really specific Glenn :heart: or Eagles fans per se, more likely they were autograph collectors. For instance, one of them had only bought 'After Hours' that day and had not listened to it up to that point. In my heart I hadn't really expected Glenn :heart: to come out to anyone, but I guess hope springs eternal. About 6pm we headed back to the hotel to get ready for the gig...... People were already starting to line up outside the Wiltern, although the doors didn't open until 7pm.....

Glennsallnighter
06-09-2012, 08:53 PM
Part 2!

About 7pm, Soda, FP and I arried in the Wiltern, with enough time for FP to collect her tickets. Meanwhile I bought one of the 'blue' t-shirts with the venues on the back and a cute keyring. I had found front row seats via vividseats that week but Soda bought them as getting them to me in Ireland was proving a logistical nightmare. I knew they were front row, but we had thought they were way off to the side.... However, they were only slightly to the left of Glenn :heart:. They were honestly the BEST seats I have ever seen him from. The atmosphere was very relaxed and casual. Otis came up onto the stage for a few minutes and there was a very pleasant vibe. Totally unlike the very formal atmosphere in Niagara Falls last year. I was also delighted to see that there was no problem with cameras, although from where I was sitting I just aimed to get e few good ones. I didn't want to annoy Glenn :heart: by constantly pointing and shooting at him. I sipped my screwdriver, took in the atmosphere getting more and more excited as the start time drew closer. All I could think was 'I can't believe I've made it here' and 'I can't believe I'm seeing Glenn :heart: live in a few minutes'. I even texted home 'front row.... I'm right at the stage' to a few of my friends. God knows why. It was 4am in Dublin and they were all asleep!!

And finally, about 8:20 pm, The band took their places, the lights went down.... there was no intro..... Glenn :heart:simply came out and immediately alunched into PEF. As always on this song he sang it so clearly and easily and I got a very good vibe off him. As you know he was wearing the darker suit with the white shirt and the dark tie. And of COURSE he looked absolutely divine :inlove: :smitten: I always have a wistful moment when I see him live and he gets to 'I may never see you again....' because I know how true it could be, but as each show goes on, whether Eagles, or Solo, it seems to matter a little less. Because I know that if he sings I will somehow.....

After PEF he introduced the show welcoming everybody and saying that we were all in for a wonderful evening of beautiful music and romance and a little bit of Rock and Roll. He then introduced 'Tequila Sunrise' saying he would play another song from 'the Cowboy Years'!

After this song, Glenn :heart: broke from tradition and started to introduce some of the band members. He would do this section by section at different points of the concert rather than introducing them all at once as has been his norm in previous concerts. So at this point he introduced electric bass player Wade Beary, and on steel guitar Doug Livingstone.
At this stage Glenn :heart: was in full flow and you could see he was enjoying himself and the enthusiastic responses of the audience. So he said that he had promised himself that he would not tell any of his old jokes. And that he always dedicated his next song to his first wife Plaintiff 'But I'm not gonna do that tonight ..... I'm just gonna sing the dang song.....' he added laughing. Much to the amusement of the audience. Of course that was 'Lyin Eyes' By the end the whole audience was singing along with him. He looked at Danny Grenier at the 'Much' but and they both smiled! Very cute!

After these three Eagles stalwarts, he gave up the guitar and went onto the After Hours section of the show. He started by saying that the reason he was there was because he made a record and he believed in it, and that he wanted to play some shows and share the music. He then introduced Richie McBride on stage. Richie playing the upright Bass. And he said that Richie was from his hometown Detroit Michigan. He didn't refer to Detroit as he normally does. I guess with Cindy and Otis there.... :wink: After the applause he announced at the mic 'Some Songs from After Hours'.
He started with Route 66. IMHO it was a very good song to start with as it was lively and upbeat and really kept the momentum and the vibe of the gig going. And he didn't just stay at the mic at the front. he was everywhere! Dancing and hopping around the stage. You could see how much he was enjoying himself, and it was received very enthusiastically by the audience. After that he gave a shout out to Danny Grenier, who was backing him on guitar.

Glenn :heart: then said it was his pleasure to welcome onto the stage the multiple Grammy winner, and iconic Pianist Composer and Arranger Alan Broadbent and the Santa Monica High School Orchestra. While they were taking their places Michael Thompson (I presume) played Silent Spring on the Piano. The Glenn :heart: said one of his favourite sounds in the world.... an Orchestra tuning!! He dedicated the next song For Sentimental Reasons' to Cindy. This is one of my favourites on the CD and it was really wonderful to hear it performed live on stage. The Orchestra too added a real depth to the music. He the sang 'The Shadow of Your Smile' Again one I have really drawn to since hearing it for the first time in Niagara Falls last year. He sang it absolutely exquisitely, really softly, with his eyes closed. And once again, the orchestra added a new dimension to it, the strings section in particular, and towards the end particularly the saxophone played by Tom Evans who Glenn :heart: acknowledged at the end of the song. Its a lovely slow, languid song and Glenn :heart: didn't rush it at all, but kept it nice and even. In between both the songs he asked for a round of applause for Scott Crago on the drums.
After the song Glenn :heart: mentioned that the song had won an Academy award in 1967 and also a Grammy that year. He went on to say that he didn't want to tell people about 1967, and mentioned a shoe box... with a lot of seeds in it! And that he was 19.
He then went on to say that all the songs on 'After Hours' were deeply meaningful to him and as a songwriter how much he admires the songwriting process. How much hard work and talent goes into writing a good song. He used this as a prelude for 'Same Girl' by Randy Newman whom he considers the finest songwriter ever. He said he always wanted to sing a song of his, and that only Randy Newman could write a song about a Junkie prostitute and her pimp. I love the piano in this one, the use of diminished chords throughout.
After this Glenn :heart:introduced his 3 keyboard players, namely Will Hollis (like it Steph? :wink:), then Richard Davies and Michael Thompson both of whom he gave credit to for their work with him on After Hours.

Glenn :heart: then said he was working on the Album and had about 6 or 7 tracks under his belt and he was starting to feel confident about it all when a conversation came up about what was the most laid back song they had ever heard. Richard Davies suggested 'Heres to Life' by Shirley Horn. Now at this stage I had my breath held. There had been a bit of speculation on the Border here that he might do it at some stage and we had been wondering would he. I was really thinking at this stage 'Well he's not gonna talk about it and not do it.... surely.....' In short Glenn :heart: listened to it the next day and found it in his own words 'epic' and 'astounding'. Then a few weeks later he decided he would record it. A suggestion was made that Alan Broadbent be brought in to arrange it. Glenn :heart: was worried about the time in it and was wondering how it was played originally when Shirley sang it. To which Alan replied 'Well I played piano!!' So of course Alan was the right guy for the job!
Glenn :heart:added that there were a lot of pauses in the song and asked us to turn off our iphones! I could totally see why! I took that to mean cameras too as he didn't want to be distracted. Of course at this stage in any Glenn :heart: concert I am so bowled over that I am NEVER thinking straight anyway, This one was no exception.
Anyway Glenn :heart: announced that they were doing the song for the very first time and depending on how it went, maybe the very last time.

Well much as I would love to say I was in the only audience that ever heard HTL live, I very much doubt it. because it was FANTASTIC. Glenn :heart: put out an utterly brilliant performance. I love the lyrics of this one too. Its like every phrase has a meaning that you can relate to. And I think it reflects so much what Life is all about. The good times and the bad, the challenges, successes and failures. And the impetus to keep going. The background music was exquisite too! Alan Broadbent did an excellent job arranging it. Of course a few people who may not have been familiar with the Cd came in and applauded before the final chorus, but I guess that couldn't be helped. But he got a hugh round of applause at the end of the song, and he looked pretty pleased as he thanked everybody so I'm sure it will reappear on a set list next time he tours.

Next came the Beach Boys famous song 'Caroline No' which Glenn :heart: cleverly punned into a story where he used it as 'Carol I Know' Apparently Brian Wilson's (of BB fame) lyricist brought the lyrics to Brian and said 'I have this song called 'Carol. I know' To which Brian replied that it should be called 'Caroline, No! Glenn :heart: acknowledged the Beach Boys as being the greatest American band ever, saying they were the Pioneers, while the Eagles were the settlers. He described the sone as 'haunting' and indeed it was. In all of these 'After Hours' songs Glenn :heart: was just so 'into' them. You could see how he had crafted every note, every word. And how he sang them all with such passion and belief.

Its nearly 2am now so I'm going to put in my review of the rest of the concert tomorrow evening.

VAisForEagleLovers
06-09-2012, 09:54 PM
Glenn :heart: then said he was working on the Album and had about 6 or 7 tracks under his belt and he was starting to feel confident about it all when a conversation came up about what was the most laid back song they had ever heard. Richard Davies suggested 'Heres to Life' by Shirley Horn. Now at this stage I had my breath held. There had been a bit of speculation on the Border here that he might do it at some stage and we had been wondering would he. I was really thinking at this stage 'Well he's not gonna talk about it and not do it.... surely.....' In short Glenn :heart: listened to it the next day and found it in his own words 'epic' and 'astounding'. Then a few weeks later he decided he would record it. A suggestion was made that Alan Broadbent be brought in to arrange it. Glenn :heart: was worried about the time in it and was wondering how it was played originally when Shirley sang it. To which Alan replied 'Well I played piano!!' So of course Alan was the right guy for the job!
Glenn :heart:added that there were a lot of pauses in the song and asked us to turn off our iphones! I could totally see why! I took that to mean cameras too as he didn't want to be distracted. Of course at this stage in any Glenn :heart: concert I am so bowled over that I am NEVER thinking straight anyway, This one was no exception.
Anyway Glenn :heart: announced that they were doing the song for the very first time and depending on how it went, maybe the very last time.
Well much as I would love to say I was in the only audience that ever heard HTL live, I very much doubt it. because it was FANTASTIC. Glenn :heart: put out an utterly brilliant performance. I love the lyrics of this one too. Its like every phrase has a meaning that you can relate to. And I think it reflects so much what Life is all about. The good times and the bad, the challenges, successes and failures. And the impetus to keep going. The background music was exquisite too! Alan Broadbent did an excellent job arranging it. Of course a few people who may not have been familiar with the Cd came in and applauded before the final chorus, but I guess that couldn't be helped. But he got a hugh round of applause at the end of the song, and he looked pretty pleased as he thanked everybody so I'm sure it will reappear on a set list next time he tours.

GA, you have no idea how much I wish I'd been there to hear this. Since it went so well, hopefully he'll do it again at another concert if he ever gets around to scheduling more. It can't be an easy song to do live, but I never had any doubts that he could. I'm glad you got to hear it, as well as the rest of the concert of course! I'm looking forward to the rest of your review, but this song was the one I most wanted to hear about. Thank you!

Freypower
06-09-2012, 10:46 PM
GA, that was excellent; you said a great deal that I left out. With me it's all 'inside' if you like; I had trouble putting it into words. I was just glad I was there. I eagerly await the next part.

I can't stress enough how exhilarating it was to see him doing all those new songs, radically reworking THIO & doing On The Way Home in the encore. I've been waiting forever for him to take these chances & push himself; he's done 'safe' setlists. I speak only for myself; if others who went to these shows thought there was too much of the new album I can only say it needed to be done.

lizzyplays
06-09-2012, 11:48 PM
Wow, GA... what a stunning and well written recap. I swear, I could almost imagine myself there with all of the detail that you gave. I can't put my experiences into words like that, so bravo to you and thank you as well!

sodascouts
06-10-2012, 01:43 AM
Reliving it as I read. Thanks for this, GA! Hopefully the next part will be up soon! ;)

Glennsallnighter
06-10-2012, 04:13 AM
GA, you have no idea how much I wish I'd been there to hear this. Since it went so well, hopefully he'll do it again at another concert if he ever gets around to scheduling more. It can't be an easy song to do live, but I never had any doubts that he could. I'm glad you got to hear it, as well as the rest of the concert of course! I'm looking forward to the rest of your review, but this song was the one I most wanted to hear about. Thank you!

Oh VA. Believe me. I do! I had given up on this tour and it was only when I started reading reviews and texting the girls who were at the East Coast Shows that I realised I could give it a last gasp effort so to speak!i really hope you do get to see him again.

FP I totally agree with you about the set list. It takes a certain amount if bravery to sing 8 or 9 songs off a new album in a live show, given that some people may not be familiar with it, or may have come expecting more of the "safe" option. But Glenn :heart: did it, he nailed every song he did and sang with style and confidence. And the audience lived it! They lapped it all up. Anyway what would be the point of calling it the 'After Hours' Tour if he want going to dedicate a good chunk of the show to 'After Hours'?

I think too that's why he did Niagara last year. To kind of test the water Nd see what the reaction to the new CD might be and to see how the audience took to the 4 songs he played those evenings.

Soda! I'll try to have the remainder up later tonight!

Freypower
06-10-2012, 06:33 PM
Oh VA. Believe me. I do! I had given up on this tour and it was only when I started reading reviews and texting the girls who were at the East Coast Shows that I realised I could give it a last gasp effort so to speak!i really hope you do get to see him again.

FP I totally agree with you about the set list. It takes a certain amount if bravery to sing 8 or 9 songs off a new album in a live show, given that some people may not be familiar with it, or may have come expecting more of the "safe" option. But Glenn :heart: did it, he nailed every song he did and sang with style and confidence. And the audience lived it! They lapped it all up. Anyway what would be the point of calling it the 'After Hours' Tour if he want going to dedicate a good chunk of the show to 'After Hours'?

I think too that's why he did Niagara last year. To kind of test the water Nd see what the reaction to the new CD might be and to see how the audience took to the 4 songs he played those evenings.

Soda! I'll try to have the remainder up later tonight!

Yes, but the point remains... why so few shows? I still don't understand that. While it makes me even more grateful that I was there, this show needs to be seen by more people than have seen it.

Glennsallnighter
06-10-2012, 06:52 PM
Maybe he just wanted to see how well the album was received by the public in terms of both its sales and also how well concert audiences would appreciate it. So he 'experimented' with the 6 shows he did. Its possible too that he wants to spend time with his family during the summer, and will possibly tour again in the late summer or fall.
Its possible too that he just wants to give his voice a rest after all the recording and the initial shows.

Which means like you FP I am sooooo glad I got the opportunity to see this LA concert too!

Glennsallnighter
06-10-2012, 08:45 PM
Ok, part 3!

After the applause for Caroline No, Glenn :heart: introduced a new percussionist although I didn't catch his name. He then went straight into 'The
Look of Love'. Again, sung passionately. The percussion and use of cymbals was definitely more noticeable in this live version compared to the version on the CD. This is where I managed to take my best picture as Glenn :heart: was nearer to the mic than in other songs.

Once again it was over too quickly.

Glenn :heart: then took his guitar and announced that he was going to do a song off a Ray Charles album, although he wouldn't attempt to do a Ray Charles song, but this was a country song. No surprise to hear him do 'Worried Mind'. At this point I texted my friend from work, because this is her husband's favourite song off 'After Hours'. I said
'I guess you are out feeding the bullocks by now (they have a farm). Tell Ger Glenn :heart: is doing Worried Mind!!'
I got back 'We are....' and then some very :censored: comments.

I think this is the most 'Eagly' sounding track on the whole album and I think the audience really appreciated it too.

I was beginning to worry at this stage that as Glenn :heart: had included 'Here's To Life' that some other song would have to be sacrificed and I was hoping that it would not be the title track. My head told me it was unlikely that this would happen, but bear in mind that out of the previous 72 hours I had had about 6 hours sleep! Particularly as the next song he sang was 'The One You Love'. As he introduced it he introduced Tom Evans on Tenor saxophone, and he used a large white electric guitar this time, as opposed to playing the piano which he had done for this song in Niagara Falls. Once again he nailed it, and the percussion sounded a lot stronger than the recorded versions. The audience who had been quieter during the After Hours songs also got a bit louder for this song too.
The sax parts were excellent as always.

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t236/Irisheaglesfan/Glenn%20Frey%20LA%202012/LA2012089.jpg

After this Glenn :heart: was smiling and he told a story about himself and a friend playing golf in Augusta. When they came to the 6th hole his friend said 'We're going too fast' He said that was how he felt at that point, that the evening was going too fast and he wanted to stretch it out. He then called out to Jack Tempchin and said that when they were about half way through the album he called Jack and was looking for a title track for the album, and wpuld he be able to write a standard for it.Jack reminded him him that they had the song 'After Hours' from the time they did the Allnighter album in 1984. They had intended to put it in that album but it hadn't fitted the mood and it had been left out. So now it was perfect as the title track for the new CD. And that of course was his prelude to the song.
I was thrilled to hear him singing it and it was one of the many highlights of the show for me. I have always loved this song and I really felt so privlidged to hear it sung live. And Glenn :heart: was magnificent singing it. He was sensitive, quiet in some parts, and passionate, and I'd have been quite happy for him to sing it over and over again.

But of course the show had to go on, and the title track brought an end to the 'After Hours' section of the show. After this Glenn :heart: explained how they had reworked 'The Heat is On', as in its original format it didn't really fit in with the current setup of the show. Again one of the songs I had really been looking forward to hearing (have I said that before......?:wink:) was this new arrangement, and it did not at all disappoint. It was very laid back and mellow and had a really cool vibe to it. Glenn :heart: also took his time with it, particularly in the bridge between the first and second verses, where he moved around the stage a lot, before coming back to the mic to resume 'The shadows hide...' Quite simply he was having the time of his life during this song and the audience was lapping it up!

He followed THIO with Smugglers Blues and then he introduced 'Whose Been Sleepin in My Bed' He commented that this song was very popular during the Clinton Administration. Now there was another girl opposite me across the aisle and when this song started she encouraged me to get up and dance, so the two of us danced in the aisle for a few minutes while Glenn :heart: continued to sing. I don't think he minded us doing it, but I sat down after. She stayed up. She had been approaching the stage and taking pics from angles I wouldn't have dared to and at that point Glenn :heart: motioned to her to put her camera away! I was glad I had sat down by then, and also that I hadn't overdone the pics.

Glenn :heart:s final song of the main show was 'YBTTC' and as he started he shouted out for his 'guest percussionist Otis Frey'. He nailed this one in style and then left the stage with the audience calling out enthusiastically for more! And he did not disappoint. A few minutes later the Orchestra (Who had left the stage after the 'After Hours' songs) came back on, followed by the band and a few seconds later by Glenn :heart:. He sang both 'Take It To The Limit' which was made all the more amazing by the richness of sound provided by the orchestra. Soda really enjoyed it too and I know it was her favourite Eagles song. Glenn :heart: does the vocals so well on it! He followed it up with Desperado, which I was delighted to hear, as believe it or not I have never heard him sing it love before (The Dublin DVD doesn't count!). And of course, I loved it! I'm not sure whether he did it before or after Desperado, but Glenn :heart: again acknowledged the contribution made by the Orchestra.

Once again I was slightly worried he would only do the one encore, but no! A few minutes later I was relieved to see the band taking their places. Glenn :heart: came back out and I think it was at this time that he said thanks to quite a few named friends who were in the audience, and he also mentioned Cindy. If I've gotten the sequence wrong here Soda or FP please correct me. Ar that stage I was so high Kryptonite could't bring me down! He then explained about how he wanted the Eagles to record the DVD that he had mentioned in Niagara, and that he wanted the 'following song' to be on it. That was of course 'On the Way Home'

And of course there was only one song to go after that.

He started by saying that 40 years ago 'Take It Easy' came out on the airwaves and that it started him on the craziest 40 years of his life. And that he was so grateful for the people he had been able to meet and work with. He quoted his friend Don (Henley) that careers aren't long any more so and he has had a career that has been that long. He then said if Jackson Browne hadn't broken down in Sidona Arizona, or had to live with him in Echo Park this song would not have happened. So he was leaving us with this song about self reliance and to take care of yourself first. It was still their message. This part was often interrupted by cheering and calling out to Glenn :heart:. Of course he finished with a rousing TIE. Towards the end I held out my banner and Soda says he definitely read it.

For me the whole experience was fantastic from start to finish, and I would regard it as being one of the best concerts I have ever attended. Actually correct that. THE best concert I have ever attended. As I texted home in the wee hours LA time (and breakfast time in Ireland 'Concert was magnificent. Out of this world'. And I meant every word of it.

Glenn :heart: Frey. Thank you soooo much :iloveyou: :iloveyou: :iloveyou:

And the review wouldn't be complete without saying that afterwards we went for dinner in Dan Tanas. Once again it was like being in a dream, actually eating in the restaurant where one of my favourite Eagles songs was written. I had a lovely plate of garlic chicken with spaghetti on the side, but the waiter was rather surprised or perplexed that all I wanted on the spaghetti was parmesan cheese! I wore my new Glenn :heart:Frey 'After Hours' T-shirt over my dress. It may not have looked very fashionable...... but boy it felt sooooo good!

I'm finally going to finish with two trivial facts if you'll indulge me!

Today is now 11 June! This night 6 years ago I went to see the Eagles in concert in Dublin as part of the Farewell 1 Tour. A certain Mr Frey came out with the band and started to sing 'Take it Easy'..... and the rest is history!

Take it Easy is the first song I ever saw Glenn :heart: perform live, that night in Dublin..... and is also the last song I have seen him perform live 2 weeks ago in LA!

I hope I'll be back some day!

Freypower
06-10-2012, 08:50 PM
Perfect, GA. Thank you. That is actually the first time you have posted the white (Deusenberg, I think) guitar shot.

Glennsallnighter
06-10-2012, 08:54 PM
It is! I think it was just by accident that I hadn't done it previously. But its in as good a place there! Glad you liked the review. It brought back so many memories!

Ive always been a dreamer
06-10-2012, 09:42 PM
Thanks ladies for your heartfelt reviews of this show. I wish I could have been there with you all, but, like you, I am thankful that I had the opportunity to go to the shows that I went to. We fans have to seize the moment whenever Glenn announces solo shows because, sadly, they are few and far between. :weep:

VAisForEagleLovers
06-10-2012, 09:56 PM
Thank you for the great review, GA!

FP, I of course agree with you about additional tour dates. I know that Glenn and his management team are the experts on what works, but it seems that he'd built up some good momentum on the touring, then stopped. At one point I thought maybe he was easing off, letting Joe have the spotlight since his CD is just out and then it occurred to me that Joe released his CD and took the month off. I realize some of that time is for personal appearances and interviews, but that's a head-scratcher as well. I would guess that Glenn needs the time off, South Africa, some Eagles dates here, all the interviews and TV appearances and the touring with little to no break in between. Still, if he were doing something in the next 6 to 8 weeks, we'd have heard about it by now, right?

Koala
06-11-2012, 12:26 AM
GA, thank you for your detailed Review! It was enjoyable to read them!

Glennsallnighter
06-11-2012, 06:09 AM
Thanks ladies for your heartfelt reviews of this show. I wish I could have been there with you all, but, like you, I am thankful that I had the opportunity to go to the shows that I went to. We fans have to seize the moment whenever Glenn announces solo shows because, sadly, they are few and far between. :weep:

Thanks Koala, VA FP and Dreamer. You are of course right Dreamer. Glenn :heart:s shows arent frequent at all. Still I suppose if a year ago we had even known any of this we wouldn't have believed it at all. I am very encouraged by Glenn :hearts: obvious desire to continue putting out music and taking on at least some shows. It's a given that he doesn't need to. And I think he has really enjoyed the making of 'After Hours' ('I feel empowered') and the subsequent tour. He was really in his element. Maybe now be just wants things to settle for a while before he makes new plans.

It also gives us non US residents time to save up for the next round of gigs!

And I do believe I remember him making some kind of comment about promoting 'After Hours' in the UK. So who knows what he is planning.......

The album is released here in 2 weeks from today.

VAisForEagleLovers
06-11-2012, 12:58 PM
GA, I hesitate to ask what 'angles' the woman was using with the camera. At other venues, especially in NJ, there were a lot of people coming to the front to take close up shots. He did give them a few looks that I interpreted to mean he wasn't pleased, but I can honestly say it never occurred to me that perhaps he wasn't pleased with me taking pics from my seat, either. Especially when I had the front row for the Eagles in Atlanta. Hmm.

Freypower
06-11-2012, 06:37 PM
This particular woman was leaving her seat & dashing from one side of the stage to the other. During YBTTC Glenn had had enough & you could see him mouthing 'put that down' at her (that was the first time I noticed her). But I was told she never stayed in her seat. I think if you stay in your seat, as you did, and as I did in Sydney 2010, he doesn't mind.

Glennsallnighter
06-12-2012, 04:38 AM
Yeah, that was pretty much it really, but she started as soon as Glenn :heart: started the show and rarely stopped. I just took my pics from my seat. I would not have had the nerve to walk right up to him. It did help that I have a very good zoom lens on the camera, but the higher the zoom the blurrier the pic gets if the subject moves at all. And Glenn :heart: rarely stopped moving. Again as I think I have said, I didn't want to overdo the pics, either from the point of annoying Glenn :heart: or also the fact that I was also there for the concert. Indeed there were times when I was so caught up watching him and listening to him sing that taking pics was furthest from my mind! Anyway my battery went flat shortly after TOYL My aim was to get perhaps 3 or 4 really good ones and I certainly got those. I have been told by friends that the one that I posted in FB and also enlarged (during TLOL) looks like a professional one. That's more than I ever expected. Mission accomplished.

I suppose in conclusion, most entertainers accept that people want to take their pictures and once they don't flout venue regulations, or make a nuisance of themselves they are happy enough to go along with it. But I can understand too that they can get annoyed or frustrated at people who overdo it to the extent where either they are disturbing the performance or invading the personal space of the performer.

Brooke
06-12-2012, 03:36 PM
Ga, what a fantastic review! I felt like I was right there with you (and wishing I were there, for sure!). Thanks so much for that and for all the wonderful pictures. :thumbsup:

What nerve the woman taking the pictures and going around all over the place doing it must have had. I can't blame Glenn at all for being a bit disgusted with her. She should be embarrassed. It had to be very distracting for him, poor thing!

I do wish he would schedule some more tour dates. Surely he must think he has been successful with what he did do?! Which should call for more........

Please Glenn, :wave: if you are out there somewhere, we want more!

Ive always been a dreamer
06-12-2012, 05:35 PM
I do wish he would schedule some more tour dates. Surely he must think he has been successful with what he did do?! Which should call for more........

Please Glenn, :wave: if you are out there somewhere, we want more!

:hmm: Wonder if he would schedule more shows if we Borderers were to gang up on him!!! :wink:

Glennsallnighter
06-12-2012, 05:57 PM
Now there's and idea Dreamer!

VAisForEagleLovers
06-12-2012, 06:10 PM
I don't know. He could be the type of guy that the more he's nagged, poked, and prodded, the slower he moves. I have a brother like that. :twisted:

Tiffanny Twisted
06-12-2012, 06:51 PM
thank you. Loved the pictures.

Appreciate u sharing.
:inlove:
Tiffanny Twisted

eaglesvet
06-22-2012, 01:25 AM
Wow, GAN, I finally had time to read all of the events in LA; and it sounds stupendous! You, Nancy, and Julie certainly had the time of your lives, and I thank you for including us all with your detailed report!!

Thirsty&Hot
03-17-2013, 08:57 PM
These reviews and photos are great! thanks so much for sharing!

Outlawman13
03-18-2013, 12:32 AM
Thank you so very much for sharing your review. OHHHH the photos are so amazing of him.