PDA

View Full Version : Keswick Theatre Philadelphia May 31, 2012

VAisForEagleLovers
06-03-2012, 09:57 PM
A review by the same DJ that interviewed him a few weeks ago.

http://www.wmgk.com/shows/kathy-wagner/blogentry.aspx?BlogEntryID=10389520

zeldabjr
06-03-2012, 10:38 PM

Yeah she's definitely a Timothy lover...great review!!

Topkat
06-04-2012, 12:49 PM
That was a wonderful review. I think those if us that have seen the show had similar feelings about the whole thing. Timothy's voice is stellar & his band was perfection as well. :thumbsup:

Victim of Love
06-04-2012, 01:49 PM
Terrific review. My friend Brian said the show was absolutely fantastic but he was only able to get one photo and it's out of focus :sad:.

Just Another Hired Hand
06-04-2012, 08:05 PM
Timothy B. Schmit

May 31, 2012

The Keswick Theater

Glenside, PA

This concert sort of completes a cycle for me. Seeing Timothy in concert meant that I have now seen the Eagles in concert both as a group, and each member in their solo performances. Timothy B. Schmit had an opening act, a duo called Goldspot.

Goldspot

Goldspot is a duo featuring front man Siddhartha Khosla and James Gabbie. After they performed I was fortunate enough to catch up with James Gabbie for a brief interview.

Siddhartha Khosla, whom James referred to as Sid was the duo’s front man. He did all the singing and played a two different acoustic guitars and a Greek stringed instrument known as a Bazuki. James related that the songs are strongly influenced by a combination of Old Bollywood mixed with the Beatles and the Beach Boys. James played an instrument known as an electronic autoharp which was played in a fashion similar to an accordion as the performer had to keep pressure on a bellows to get the instrument to produce sound. The combination of the two instrument s presented the listener with a very unique, inventive sound. Sid’s English is flawless as he grew up in the U.S. The songs are influenced by his life’s experiences growing up.

Their performance started with Sid on stage solo playing a cutaway acoustic guitar. He told the audience how much he enjoyed Timothy B. Schmit’s music, how he influenced him and what an honor it was for Goldspot to be opening for him. His first selection was a song called “Rewind”. Upon conclusion of the song James came out and joined Sid on stage. James played the electronic autoharp for the rest of the performance. Their next selection was a song called “Grocery Store”. Between the songs Sid would relate how each of the songs were drawn from his life’s experiences. All off their songs were easy to listen to and very audible and were very intellectual in their structure. Two of the six songs they performed were very appealing to me; one entitled “Hudson Overflows”, the other “Evergreen Cassette”.

“Evergreen Cassette” is the story of an Indian boy growing up in the U.S. separated from his parents who are in India. Sid tells at the time how it cost something like a million dollars to make an international call so he communicated with his parents by means of mailed cassette tapes. As opening acts go they were surprisingly entertaining and easy to listen to.

Goldspot’s set list:

1. Rewind
2. Grocery Store
3. Tale of a Fish
4. Hudson Overflows
5. The Abyss
6. Evergreen Cassette

The players:

Siddhartha Khosla – vocals, guitars, bazuki
James Gabbie – electronic autoharp

Goldspot was very entertaining and easy to listen to. It doesn’t surprise me that TBS would find a quality act like Goldspot to open for him.

Goldspot’s web site: http://www.goldspot.net (http://www.goldspot.net/)

Timothy B. Schmit

Anyone who has seen an Eagles concert usually will characterize Timothy as quiet and serious. But when one catches Tim’s solo act a different picture emerges. TBS has one heck of a sense of humor and is very at ease on stage in front of his audience. The bulk of the concert featured music from Tim’s solo CD, “Expando”. He took the stage at 8:30 and strapped on an acoustic guitar. His first song was “One More Mile”, from expand. It featured performance on the bass, ukulele, drums and a steel guitar.

His next song was “Friday Night”, a catchy tune also featured on the Expando album. Timothy noticed the audience was a little on the small side as the theater was a little bit better than half filled, but he observed that they would press on in spite of it, commenting that the people in attendance were a “small but mighty group”. He further commented that he expected more people on a Friday night, thought about it for a minute then said, “No, wait, it’s Thursday night, I don’t even know what day it is, how cosmic is that?”

As they performed the song I noticed that the bassist during parts of the song had moved to a keyboard and played different parts on two instruments. It would not be much of a stretch to imagine the Eagles performing this song as the observation was made on Farewell I that each of the solo songs could be Eagles songs. This concept really shines through in this song.

Timothy’s next selection was “Feed the Fire” from the album that bears the same name. For this performance TBS donned his signature Fender bass. When he concluded the song he told the story of how he became one of the Eagles. Tim related that he was neighbors with one JD Souther. JD had hinted to TBS, that a man whom TBS characterized as his now good friend, Glenn Frey, would call him. When he called he asked Timothy if he would be interested in joining the Eagles. Tim said he didn’t even give it two seconds thought before he blurted out his answer, “YES”.

Tim continued, “I mean the Eagles, how big is that?”

And with that story being told he began to perform “I Can’t Tell You Why” playing the bass just like he does with the Eagles. Upon concluding his performance he bowed to the applauding crowd the same way he did in the Farewell I DVD in what is apparently his signature move.

At the conclusion he exchanged the bass for an acoustic guitar and almost plugged the wrong cord into it. He was anxious to tell his audience that his wife comes from the Philadelphia area, the Main Line. He pointed out that he visits a lot and his niece and nephew were a part of the audience, which received a loud round of applause. He stoked the audience even more when he told them how nice he thought Glenside was, reminding him of a modern day Mayberry.

His next song was “Compassion” also from the Expando album. Then the show got interesting.

TBS stepped up to the microphone and said the next song was the story of his life in 4 minutes. He was joined on stage by three African American female backup singers and proceeded to perform “White Boy from Sacramento” a song also featured on the Expando album. The singers would repeat the chorus by dancing and making a choreographed pointing gesture at TBS and singing “He’s a White Boy From Sacramento”. The way they did it was comical and got the crowd laughing. Upon the song’s conclusion someone in the audience shouted out,” Keep rockin’ white boy.”

TBS replied,”O God, look what I have started.” This drew a howl of laughter and another round of applause.

Next, Timothy announced, "It’s time to go into Poco mode. Hmmm, that sounds like a dessert…Poco mode."

TBS and the band began to perform the Poco song “Keep on Trying”, followed by another Poco song, “What Am I Going to Do”.

At this point Timothy introduced his band members and his backup singers, noting that the backup singers had also worked with Elton John, Phil Collins and TBS. When Timothy introduced the guitar player, Hank Linderman, who had very long hair, Tim referred to it as “Hank had his freak flag flying.”

The next song performed by the group was “Parachute” also from the Expando album. Tim was accompanied by the background singers, bass guitar, keyboards, drums and one guitar.

And then Timothy solved a riddle. When the stage was set up, one could not help but notice there was a tuba on a stand. At this point Tim announce, “I think it’s tuba time.” After which the Timothy and the band struck up a performance of “I Don’t Mind”, Timothy accompanied by the tuba, drums, bass guitar, background singers and lead guitar.

Upon finishing, Timothy put on a harmonica mounted on a neck brace and told the story of how during a period when he was separated from his wife by their work, Tim’s in music and hers in her artistic endeavors, Tim wrote her a love song. He then proceeded to perform, “Ella Jean” .

Timothy’s next two selections were “Down Time” and” Secular Praises”, both from the Expando Album. Upon conclusion of Secular Praises, Timothy and band left the stage briefly, returning to a loud round of applause for the encore.

Timothy announced the next song was from “The Long Road Out of Eden” album and began to perform “I Don’t Want to Hear Anymore”.

Timothy finished the concert by performing “Love Will Keep Us Alive” accompanied by one guitar. Every one assembled on stage for one final bow and then left the stage.

At the conclusion of the show I approached the stage and asked one of the stage hands if I could get a set list. He informed me they could not give them out as they were going to be reused for the next show. But he said, “What I can give you is this.” He reached on the small table that was there and gave me the guitar pick that Timothy had used during the show and gave it to me. I promptly turned it over to Tiffanny Twisted, who was thrilled to get it.

I learned a couple of things from this show. Expando is a great album. The songs are of the quality that would be performed by the Eagles and Timothy B. Schmit has a great stage presence and one heck of a sense of humor, and he reuses his set lists! Expando is a great album (I've listened to it several times already) and this was a great show.

The set list

One More Mile (Expando)
Friday Night (Expando)
Feed the Fire (Feed the Fire)
I Can’t Tell You Why (Eagles)
Compassion (Expando)
White Boy from Sacramento (Expando)
Keep on Trying (Poco)
What AM I Going To Do (Poco)
Parachute (Expando)
I Don’t Mind (Expando)
Ella Jean (Expando)
Down Time (Expando)
Secular Praise (Expando)

Encore

I Don’t Want to Hear Any More (Eagles)
Love Will Keep Us Alive (Eagles)

The Players:

Timothy B. Schmit – guitar, bass bassharmonica,vocals
www.timothybschmit.com/ (http://www.timothybschmit.com/)

Chris Farmer – bass, keyboards, tuba www.chrisfarmermusic.com/ (http://www.chrisfarmermusic.com/)

Bobby Carlos – bass (Tim introduced him as his guitar tech when he travels with the Eagles. He’s the one who gave me Tim’s guitar pick, and some info about the show)

Herman Matthews –drums www.hermanmatthews.com (http://www.hermanmatthews.com)

Hank Linderman – guitar, ukelele http://hanklinderman.com/

The singers:

Marlena Jeter

Lynn Fiddmont www.lynnefiddmont.com (http://www.lynnefiddmont.com)

Mortonette Jenkins

I have included the performer's web sites where I could find them

I have a few pictures from both Glenn Frey and This show which I will add to the reviews in the near future.

sodascouts
06-04-2012, 08:31 PM
Thank you so much for this detailed review!

VAisForEagleLovers
06-04-2012, 09:16 PM
JAHH...you really rock! Thanks for the review!

Tiffanny Twisted
06-04-2012, 10:13 PM
:thumbsup:thanks for the post. I missed this interview and review and I was at the concert w JAHH.

It was a great show . It's sad that only the house was half full but what a rocking' show. I even got a expando pick. Yeah.

Thanks for the info,
Tiffanny Twisted

sodascouts
06-04-2012, 10:21 PM
Congrats on the pick!

TimothyBFan
06-05-2012, 07:29 AM
It was a great show . It's sad that only the house was half full but what a rocking' show.

That is a shame!!! Sure wish others would realize what kind of a great talent he is!

UK TimFan
06-05-2012, 09:08 AM
Nice review but......
It might be the first song on the album but it's called 'The shadow' NOT 'Feed the fire'.

That's the sort of mistake which should only be made by ignorant journalists who haven't done their homework. Not by alleged Timothy fans.
:censored: :machinegun:

sodascouts
06-05-2012, 12:45 PM
"alleged" Timothy fans? What's that supposed to mean?

Again, JAHH, thank you for the great deal of time you spent on the review and please ignore the ugly, judgmental comment that one person felt the need to make. Somehow, I don't think Timothy would be applauding her response to such a positive review of his show either... All the compliments of his work she skipped over when she questioned whether you were truly a fan! Yeah, I'm sure that's what he would want people to focus on when reading your review!

timfan
06-05-2012, 02:10 PM
Great review JAHH, almost felt like I was there with you!! Thanks for sharing your wonderful experience with us and as was mentioned please pay no mind to the individual who only wishes to focus on the negative.

Topkat
06-05-2012, 02:46 PM
Thanks for the details of the show you saw. My experience was very similar. The set list was the same, but the conversation was a bit different. While in NY he mentioned the many times he had been here & played here in many venues that he mentioned by name.
The one thing that I did notice about him, is that he never uses a pick while playing either bass or acoustic guitar. I was right in front of him, & I was watching to see if he would use one, but I noticed that he didn't, which didn't really surprise me, because I had never seen him use one.
BYW, I had the same experience with the set list. I guess one would think there was more than one, right

Brooke
06-05-2012, 04:50 PM
JAHH, thanks so much for your wonderful review! It sounds like you had a great time!

UK TimFan
06-05-2012, 06:06 PM
"alleged" Timothy fans? What's that supposed to mean?

Again, JAHH, thank you for the great deal of time you spent on the review and please ignore the ugly, judgmental comment that one person felt the need to make. Somehow, I don't think Timothy would be applauding her response to such a positive review of his show either... All the compliments of his work she skipped over when she questioned whether you were truly a fan! Yeah, I'm sure that's what he would want people to focus on when reading your review!
It simply means that if someone says they're a Timothy fan then they should know the correct title of the song.

As regards the actual review I did start my post by saying 'nice review'. That might sound a little lukewarm in praise, and perhaps 'interesting' might have been a better adjective, as it is interesting to read of the different things Tim says and also the different things that people pick up on during his shows, as compared to what happened in the show I saw in London.

The one thing that I did notice about him, is that he never uses a pick while playing either bass or acoustic guitar. I was right in front of him, & I was watching to see if he would use one, but I noticed that he didn't, which didn't really surprise me, because I had never seen him use one.

This being a perfect example of the different things different people notice. :smile:

zeldabjr
06-05-2012, 06:13 PM
loved your review JAHH...I'm always amazed at how detailed and coherent people's thoughts are after a concert...I'm still in a Timothy B fog after seeing him last week...:faint:

timfan
06-05-2012, 06:36 PM
It simply means that if someone says they're a Timothy fan then they should know the correct title of the song.

I don't think it's for you or anyone else to judge what makes a "Timothy fan". A TBS fan could be someone who only knows Timothy's Eagles music and knows nothing of his solo work or they could know all his solo work extensively along with his Eagles and Poco material, or many alternatives in between. All are valid fans of Timothy's. Also just because a person makes a slight error they needn't be ridiculed for it ( as people do make mistakes)

TimothyBFan
06-05-2012, 06:46 PM

To be fair, I think the Shadow is one of those songs that very easily could be mistaken as a song called Feed The Fire. I mean that is the lyric he repeats over and over in it. And, if I remember right, listening to it over and over again when new, I probably did it myself when the Feed the Fire cd first came out. And no one had better EVER call me an "alleged" Timothy B Schmit fan. :steviesmack: :lol:

zeldabjr
06-05-2012, 07:38 PM
valid points from TimFan and TBFan...maybe that's a particular pet peeve of UKTimfan's...I don't know...so she overreacted...I overreact when I see his name spelled wrong...I want to jump all over the person...maybe I'm way off base...only UKTimfan knows I guess...Obviously we are all Timothy fans here...I'd like to think she meant no harm and did not realize her post would cause a furor! as Timothy would say..."it's all good"

Tiffanny Twisted
06-05-2012, 07:51 PM
JAHH

While I tend to live in the moment and really enjoy my concerts as they occur, I am greatful to relive them over and over again each time I reread
your concert reviews .

I have been lucky enough to see Don, Joe, Glenn
and TBS in solo concerts as well as after waiting all
my life seeing the wonderful group, The Eagles three
times in one year as well as two of those in one week

(LOL what a vaca!!)

I am also the lucky gal who has met, been huged and
had her picture taken with Scott Crago , Will Hollis
and Stuart Smith.

SO thanks for the wonderful times and memories.
Bling is sweet but when u have a shared memory of
fun times, well that's the best.

Tiffanny Twisted

VAisForEagleLovers
06-05-2012, 07:53 PM
Aw, TT, that's so sweet!

sodascouts
06-05-2012, 07:55 PM
What a lovely sentiment!

Just Another Hired Hand
06-05-2012, 08:39 PM
As TBS himself would say, "This is really cosmic!"

I just have a couple of observations I would like to share. I would like to thank all of my friends here on the Border who jumped to my defense. I actually liked the critical post by "UK TimFan". Anytime I strike a nerve with someone, I feel a sense of acccomplishment.

I have been posting on this site for quite a while. I have learned through experience (like the time I misspelled "Glenn" when I wrote about an Eagles concert) that the most devoted Eagles fans in the world can be found on the Border, and if you screw something up, they will let you know in a heartbeat. I salute our moderator, Sodascouts,for what she has accomplished with this web site. She is a beautiful lady with an incredible vision and foresight.

But let me get back on point. I'm a big boy, I can take it. Even my own wife, Tiffanny Twisted, ripped me for the mistake. She has a "thing " for Glen oops, I mean Glenn (there I go again). She also ripped me because I put the post up with a typo in it, I left an "o" out of Expando. O well...

I realized the error the day after I put up the post. I was going to correct it but I have now decided to let it stand. When you enjoy writing as much as I do it is gratifying to know people are reading your work.

I am a huge Eagles fan. I play the guitar as a hobby and my favorite Eagle is Joe Walsh. That being said, I like them all and all their music. I don't know all the song titles (that is why I asked the guy on stage for the set list). But I do enjoy sharing my concert experiences. I do so because many times in the past after attending a great show, I was always frustrated by the lack of the written word about it the day after. If you want something done, do it yourself.

I really appreciate UK TimFan's comments and thank him/her for offering them. I am not a journalist, just an enthusiastic fan trying to share a good time with others. I have had the privledge of meeting several of the lovely ladies that post here on The Border and have hung out them after some of the shows. The web site is making the world a little smaller one show at a time.

Likewise, I would like to some day meet UK TimFan and hang out. By the way, UK TimFan, congratulations on the golden jubilee, celebrated by Her Majesty. It was featured on the network news tonight and it looks like it was a fabulous event. God bless the Queen!

UK TimFan
06-05-2012, 10:13 PM
valid points from TimFan and TBFan...maybe that's a particular pet peeve of UKTimfan's...I don't know...so she overreacted...Ioverreact when I see his name spelled wrong...I want to jump all over the person...maybe I'm way off base...only UKTimfan knows I guess...Obviously we are all Timothy fans here...I'd like to think she meant no harm and did not realize her post would cause a furor! as Timothy would say..."it's all good"
Thank you for your post Zelda.
Journalists have been berated on this forum when they've got facts wrong and spelt names incorrectly. (Including Tim's :grin:)
I just felt that fans should know the titles of his songs. Though, as timfan pointed out, I did fail to make allowances for the different 'degrees' of Tim fans.

As TBS himself would say, "This is really cosmic!"

I just have a couple of observations I would like to share. I would like to thank all of my friends here on the Border who jumped to my defense. I actually liked the critical post by "UK TimFan". Anytime I strike a nerve with someone, I feel a sense of acccomplishment.
I don't know whether to take that as a compliment or not! :grin:

I have been posting on this site for quite a while. I have learned through experience (like the time I misspelled "Glenn" when I wrote about an Eagles concert) that the most devoted Eagles fans in the world can be found on the Border, and if you screw something up, they will let you know in a heartbeat. I salute our moderator, Sodascouts,for what she has accomplished with this web site. She is a beautiful lady with an incredible vision and foresight.

But let me get back on point. I'm a big boy, I can take it. Even my own wife, Tiffanny Twisted, ripped me for the mistake. She has a "thing " for Glen oops, I mean Glenn (there I go again). She also ripped me because I put the post up with a typo in it, I left an "o" out of Expando. O well...

I realized the error the day after I put up the post. I was going to correct it but I have now decided to let it stand. When you enjoy writing as much as I do it is gratifying to know people are reading your work.

I am a huge Eagles fan. I play the guitar as a hobby and my favorite Eagle is Joe Walsh. That being said, I like them all and all their music. I don't know all the song titles (that is why I asked the guy on stage for the set list). But I do enjoy sharing my concert experiences. I do so because many times in the past after attending a great show, I was always frustrated by the lack of the written word about it the day after. If you want something done, do it yourself.

I really appreciate UK TimFan's comments and thank him/her for offering them. I am not a journalist, just an enthusiastic fan trying to share a good time with others. I have had the privledge of meeting several of the lovely ladies that post here on The Border and have hung out them after some of the shows. The web site is making the world a little smaller one show at a time. Thank you JAHH.
It wasn't my intention to offend anyone, but I guess I just got a little over-protective about 'my' song. 'The shadow' has always been my favourite Tim song - to the extent that when he opened with it in London I cried.

Likewise, I would like to some day meet UK TimFan and hang out. By the way, UK TimFan, congratulations on the golden jubilee, celebrated by Her Majesty. It was featured on the network news tonight and it looks like it was a fabulous event. God bless the Queen!It's a date - and if it involves Tim so much the better. :grin:

I'm pleased you enjoyed watching the diamond :smile: (60 years) jubilee celebrations. It was a fantastic weekend, but would have been even better with some sunshine instead of the traditional British rain. It rained on Coronation Day, though we did have sunshine for the Silver Jubilee because I was in the Mall that day - with everyone cheering everything that went past including the dustcarts collecting the horse manure! Great atmosphere.

Glennsallnighter
06-07-2012, 04:49 AM
JAHH and TT, you sound like a really fun couple! JAHH, thank you for your wonderful review and subsequent observations. You really brought your concert experience into the homes (in my case the kitchen) of those of us who have not been lucky enough to catch TBS live yet. I sincerely hope some day I DO manage to do that, along with my daughter, the devoted TimTot!

TT, you have JAHH well trained - handing that pick over to you immediately! And I have a 'thing' for Glenn :heart: too! Maybe some day we can catch up with each other at a Glenn :heart: gig?

UKTF, glad you enjoyed the Diamond Jubilee celebrations. I watched the flotilla on Sunday afternoon, and yes, it was a bit rainy alright. Still I'm sure it didn't dampen the spirits of the British Public. I too remember the Silver Jubilee (showing my age...... I was only a kiddie then) and the wonderful sunshine that accompanied it that year.