PDA

View Full Version : The I Can't Tell You Why solo

chaim
06-05-2012, 08:10 AM
I haven't realized before that Don Felder answers question in the Internet. This one is interesting. If it has been discussed here already, I couldn't find it. Now that Don has finally said this himself, I wonder how many YouTube guitar fans who think this is Don Felder's best solo (and insist that it's him on the original), will dislike the solo from now on.:cool:
In his book he cleverly avoided revealing this, but now he couldn't, ha!

Cody, among others, would like to know whether or not Don actually played the solo on the Eagles’ original recording of “I Can’t Tell You Why.”

"Glenn Frey played the original solo on the record. I played it live for all the shows, on the Eagles Live album, and on the Hell Freezes Over CD and DVD."

BramwenR
06-05-2012, 08:50 AM
I haven't realized before that Don Felder answers question in the Internet. This one is interesting. If it has been discussed here already, I couldn't find it. Now that Don has finally said this himself, I wonder how many YouTube guitar fans who think this is Don Felder's best solo (and instist that it's him on the original), will dislike the solo from now on.:cool:
In his book he cleverly avoided revealing this, but now he couldn't, ha!

Cody, among others, would like to know whether or not Don actually played the solo on the Eagles’ original recording of “I Can’t Tell You Why.”

"Glenn Frey played the original solo on the record. I played it live for all the shows, on the Eagles Live album, and on the Hell Freezes Over CD and DVD."

I watched the original studio recording of this only yesterday and it's pretty obvious that Glenn did the solo. Probably pays to do a little research instead of taking for gospel what others have said. And it's good Don F. admitted it.

chaim
06-05-2012, 08:57 AM
Yep, and I've never understood why it became a big issue in the first place. It said "Glenn Frey - guitar solo" on the album, plus he has mentioned his guitar work in the song in the liner notes in a CD collection, as has Don Henley.

sodascouts
06-05-2012, 01:41 PM
And there you have it, folks - inarguable proof. Thanks for posting this, Chaim!

WalshFan88
06-05-2012, 04:28 PM
Yup - the original solo was indeed Glenn's.... Great blues solo if I do say so myself.

Freypower
06-05-2012, 07:01 PM
Slight quibble though; he DID have to make it clear that although Glenn played it on the recording he played it EVERY OTHER TIME.

We sort of knew that, didn't we? :?

GlennLover
06-05-2012, 10:09 PM
Glenn wrote the solo too! :rockguitar:

chaim
06-06-2012, 04:23 AM
Glenn wrote the solo too! :rockguitar:

That's the whole point when it comes to that solo, in my opinion. I'm sure guitarists in cover bands have played it many times live too. Having said that, I can't deny that Don made the solo his own over the years, and Glenn hasn't played it in 32 years, so he probably couldn't play it as beautifully today as Don. Then again, maybe he could. But, like you said, Glenn composed the solo and the whole solo wouldn't exist without him. The only thing that has ever bothered me about the solo issue is that some people have laughed at those who have tried to tell them that it's Glenn on the album.

GlennLover
06-06-2012, 09:50 AM
Yes. It bothers me that Glenn doesn't get credit where credit is due, especially when it comes to guitar playing. To my knowledge, Glenn only played the solo once in public. It was at a benefit with Timothy & Don H before the Eagles got back together. I would have to check for the details as my memory isn't that good. Maybe someone else remembers, but it seems to me that it was in Aspen & possibly at a Walden Woods benefit. There is a picture of this too.

Windeagle
06-06-2012, 09:58 AM
Yes. It bothers me that Glenn doesn't get credit where credit is due, especially when it comes to guitar playing. To my knowledge, Glenn only played the solo once in public. It was at a benefit with Timothy & Don H before the Eagles got back together. I would have to check for the details as my memory isn't that good. Maybe someone else remembers, but it seems to me that it was in Aspen & possibly at a Walden Woods benefit. There is a picture of this too.

Really? It was probably the Walden Woods one in Massachusetts in 1990 then. They were all there and I think that song was played. I didn't realize I was seeing history in more ways than one.

chaim
06-06-2012, 10:01 AM

OMG, he's played it in public? :shock: I'd love to see/hear THAT!

chaim
06-06-2012, 10:32 AM
And one more thing about the solo I may have said before....
The first solo especially sounds like it came straight from Glenn's soul, it's beauty really resonates with me everytime I hear it. Glenn didn't have to give the solo to Don in the ICTYW video, because in videos you obviously can switch instruments. Glenn could have mimed it and showed that it's his solo. Instead he let go of the solo and gave it to Don even in the video. So no matter what people say, Glenn can't be all about ego! I would never give a solo like that away; maybe live, but in a video I would show the world that it's mine. Maybe I'm too egoistical. :mrgreen:
On the other hand, Don Felder has told the world many times how he came up with the One Of These Nights bassline. But I believe most of us will agree that there's middle ground there - Glenn isn't as big a son of a b**** that many people say he is, and Don Felder isn't as humble and innocent as many people think he is. Anyway, I love them both, but I love Glenn more. :mrgreen:

sodascouts
06-06-2012, 03:31 PM
OMG, he's played it in public? :shock: I'd love to see/hear THAT!

Here it is - just audio, not video. Sorry the quality is so poor, but I figure it's better than nothing. Glenn changes it up a smidge:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xrcyoh_ictywbenefit90-0001_people

chaim
06-06-2012, 05:07 PM
Here it is - just audio, not video. Sorry the quality is so poor, but I figure it's better than nothing. Glenn changes it up a smidge:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xrcyoh_ictywbenefit90-0001_people

Hey, that's great! Thanks! I was wondering if that's really Glenn on guitar (and not keyboards), but the audience reactions suggest that there's someone special on guitar.:rockguitar:
It's obvious that Glenn hasn't played the solo in years, but it's still a great solo.

VAisForEagleLovers
06-06-2012, 05:18 PM
Maybe for the 'documentary' tour next year, Glenn will play it?!

Freypower
06-06-2012, 06:38 PM
Maybe for the 'documentary' tour next year, Glenn will play it?!

I don't think Glenn would want to open up that can of worms. There is no need to do so. I don't know what this documentary will focus on but I don't think who played the solo on ICTYW is all that important in the broader scheme of things. I imagine that he will also continue to let Steuart play the solo given that it is now the only song on which he plays keyboards live with the Eagles (on his solo tour he didn't play keyboards at all).

GlennLover
06-06-2012, 06:39 PM
THANK YOU!!! THANK YOU, Soda!!! I didn't know that an audio of that performance existed!!! I'm sooo happy to get it! :blueblob:

BTW, that is the picture that I was referring to in my previous post. Now I don't have to go looking for it.

Freypower
06-06-2012, 06:43 PM
And one more thing about the solo I may have said before....
The first solo especially sounds like it came straight from Glenn's soul, it's beauty really resonates with me everytime I hear it. Glenn didn't have to give the solo to Don in the ICTYW video, because in videos you obviously can switch instruments. Glenn could have mimed it and showed that it's his solo. Instead he let go of the solo and gave it to Don even in the video. So no matter what people say, Glenn can't be all about ego! I would never give a solo like that away; maybe live, but in a video I would show the world that it's mine. Maybe I'm too egoistical. :mrgreen:
On the other hand, Don Felder has told the world many times how he came up with the One Of These Nights bassline. But I believe most of us will agree that there's middle ground there - Glenn isn't as big a son of a b**** that many people say he is, and Don Felder isn't as humble and innocent as many people think he is. Anyway, I love them both, but I love Glenn more. :mrgreen:

Agreed.

GlennLover
06-06-2012, 06:49 PM
Felder isn't even in the band anymore &still he lets Steuart Smith play the solo rather than taking the spotlight himself. Big ego indeed! :nope:

Windeagle
06-06-2012, 10:30 PM
Felder isn't even in the band anymore &still he lets Steuart Smith play the solo rather than taking the spotlight himself. Big ego indeed! :nope:

That's one of the things I've always liked about Glenn. He seems to be a team player. If you're playing ICTYW live, you need a guitar solo, yes, but you also need someone to play the Rhodes. The Rhodes is the less glamorous job, but it's the one Glenn is better at than probably anyone else in the band (not counting hired hands nowadays). As an arranger, Glenn would want the best people playing each position, much like a baseball coach. That team spirit is what makes the band great.

I've often speculated that the reverse might have been one of the primary arguments between Glenn and Felder. Glenn is such a team player that I can see him getting really ticked off at anyone who wasn't.

VAisForEagleLovers
06-06-2012, 10:46 PM
That's one of the things I've always liked about Glenn. He seems to be a team player. If you're playing ICTYW live, you need a guitar solo, yes, but you also need someone to play the Rhodes. The Rhodes is the less glamorous job, but it's the one Glenn is better at than probably anyone else in the band (not counting hired hands nowadays). As an arranger, Glenn would want the best people playing each position, much like a baseball coach. That team spirit is what makes the band great.

I've often speculated that the reverse might have been one of the primary arguments between Glenn and Felder. Glenn is such a team player that I can see him getting really ticked off at anyone who wasn't.

I tried to post almost this exact same thing earlier and got a connection time out error and didn't try again. It's like you read my mind! Glenn seems to always have had his eyes on the bigger picture. Even in the accounts that are trying to tear him down, that's the perception we're given. Glenn has a lot of talent, but his leadership skills are underrated. IMO. Sadly, too many people have no idea what it takes to be a leader.

Topkat
06-06-2012, 11:49 PM
I don't get why such a big deal is made about the solo. Seems, as usual the song is all about everyone except Timothy!

VAisForEagleLovers
06-06-2012, 11:56 PM
I don't get why such a big deal is made about the solo. Seems, as usual the song is all about everyone except Timothy!

I think we make a big deal out of it because it's a given that no one except Timothy could possibly ever sing the lead. That's a no brainer, so there's nothing to talk about there.

Freypower
06-06-2012, 11:59 PM
A big deal is made about it because it is annoying for those of us who care about such things, when claims such as 'Felder played the ICTYW solo' continue to be made. This has nothing to do with Tim's superb vocal on the song.

Topkat
06-07-2012, 12:31 AM
So because Glenn played it once on the recording, it is his solo?? I don't recall that it was said that Glenn wrote the solo. According to Timothy, he doesn't remember who wrote what. He said that he finished the song with Don & Glenn. Just bothers me, I guess. I don't think the solo is particularly difficult to play. Hank plays it on Tim's solo tour just fine. Don plays it of HFO album, and Steuart plays it now with the Eagles.
I guess that Glenn's fans feel it necessary to give Glenn credit for it, but Don did play it most of the time. Like I said, I just don't get why it's such a sore spot & issue.:rockguitar:

VAisForEagleLovers
06-07-2012, 12:44 AM
OK, you don't get it. I don't get it either but apparently Mr. Felder was loathe to admit that Glenn played in the recording (which is what most people hear over and over, not the touring version). Glenn has said he played it and he has the credits and so I didn't realize there was a controversy. I don't know much about guitar playing and degree of difficulty, but it's beautifully played. I've never heard Felder play it. Only Glenn on the recording, Steuart in concert, and now Hank in Timothy's show.

sodascouts
06-07-2012, 02:06 AM
It's only a big deal because some fans made it into a big deal by claiming Felder wrote it and played it on the record rather than Glenn. I don't know why some fans tried to claim this, but when they did, they were corrected... and some didn't react too well to being corrected, and continued to insist they were right and that there was some big conspiracy designed to rob Felder of credit blahblahblah. It's all rather ridiculous.

Want an example?

https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3357&page=3

chaim
06-07-2012, 04:30 AM

Because I don't want to appear as I want to offend you here, I start by laughing at myself. I'm so big a fan of Glenn's that I probably don't want to see other truths than "Glenn this/Glenn that".
Now that we got that out of the way ( :mrgreen: ) I'd like to comment that I find your reactions to this issue interesting. Before Felder himself had said that it's Glenn on the album, you were discussing it with us, offering valid arguments like "Don played it in the video, he has always played it live.". Now that Don himself has said that it's Glenn, you wonder why such a big deal is made about the solo?
Of course Timothy is the biggest star of the song. He initiated it, sang it, and played the wonderful bass part. But we are talking about a solo that people often praise Don for. This I understand, he has always played it beautifully, although I personally very much prefer Glenn's more straight forward, not-so-interpreted approach. When someone else plays the solo, it's "Don Felder's solo" he's playing. And they may say that he doesn't play it as well as Don, ignoring the fact that whenever they heard the original version on an album or from the radio, it's Glenn they hear.
In his book Don also downplays Glenn's contributions to The Long Run process quite a bit. He says about ICTYW that it was a killer track from Timothy, and that the song was a chance for him to play "some real sensual guitar", plus he said to Tim, "I'm gonna have some fun working out my guitar parts for this". Then he says that Glenn, on the other hand, was really glad when he "finally had something with "Heartache tonight'".:dizzy: Why didn't he mention that Glenn was already a big part of ICTYW? Glenn came up with the intro (he has said it), Glenn came up with the "da-da-da-da-daa" guitar hook that comes after the "choruses" and finally leads to the first solo, Glenn came up with the "try to keep you head, little girl" counter melody, Glenn played beautiful guitar solos in the song. Yet Don implies that it was Timothy's track that he really worked on.

I just disagree with you here. I think it's fair to bring this up, when it has been verified by not only Glenn and Don Henley, but Don Felder himself, that it's not him playing the solo in the original.

Someone wondered why we assume that just because Glenn played it, he wrote it. I don't remember ever hearing of a guitar player (if you mean that Don wrote it and gave it for Glenn to play on the album) coming up with a solo and then having someone who is not as good as him record it. (I love Glenn as a guitarist, but of course Don is better.)
Also, this is from Freypower's earlier post in another thread:

For what it is worth, this is Glenn talking about his ICTYW solo at the Songwriter's Hall of Fame appearance. This is from Soda's post on the subject.

The interviewer complimented Glenn's guitar solo, calling it "wonderful," and Glenn told the tale about how he usually wound up playing lead guitar on the bass player's songs. He said that both Felder and Joe had tried playing lead on ICTYW but "they just didn't seem to play what I ended up playing, which was very melodic..." He then quickly added, as if afraid he were come off as bragging, "I'm not saying it because I played it, but it's a very melodic, memorable guitar solo. You can sing along to it, just like you can sing along to the rest of the song."

One guitar solo in a pop song isn't the most important issue in the world, but it irritates me a lot, especially as a huge Glenn Frey fan, when I see people praise Don Felder as a "guitar god", using ICTYW as an example, and then saying that Glenn Frey is just an ***hole who has only money and himself in his mind. People can believe what all the other Glenn haters in the internet say about him (it's the same thing about Gene Simmons. There are hundreds of stories that reveal that he's really a sweetheart, but of course these people choose to ignore them), but do not say that he didn't play a solo he composed and played.
I'm sure Glenn himself only cares about the song itself. The track came out fine, and he probably doesn't care that people think Don wrote it. But I obviously care. :mrgreen:

Topkat
06-07-2012, 07:07 AM
You know, I looked back at those statements I made months ago, which you referred to & I still stand by what I originally said. I do like Felder's version of the solo better than Glenn's. In fact I think the entire song sounds better on HFO than on The Long Run & when I listen to the song, I listen to the HFO version.

That said, I'm willing to bet that Glenn doesn't even give this entire issue a second thought these days.

chaim
06-07-2012, 07:20 AM
You know, I looked back at those statements I made months ago, which you referred to & I still stand by what I originally said. I do like Felder's version of the solo better than Glenn's. In fact I think the entire song sounds better on HFO than on The Long Run & when I listen to the song, I listen to the HFO version.

That said, I'm willing to bet that Glenn doesn't even give this entire issue a second thought these days.

But that wasn't the reason I started this thread. Different people like different versions, but some people have insisted that Don played them all, including the original. That's all I meant.

sodascouts
06-07-2012, 11:13 AM
Exactly, chaim. I don't know why some people seem so very invested in minimizing the role of the man who wrote the solo and played it on the recording. What is achieved by this?

You know, I looked back at those statements I made months ago, which you referred to & I still stand by what I originally said. I do like Felder's version of the solo better than Glenn's.

TK, surely you're not going to try to pretend now that when you argued it was Don's solo because he played it in the video, what you really meant was that he made it his own live and you simply preferred his version to Glenn's? Come on! You were making an argument to take Glenn out of the equation entirely. Here is what you wrote:

On all the videos of I Can't Tell You Why, Don Felder is playing the guitar solos, and Glenn is on piano. Not sure why Glenn is credited for the solo on this song.

I understand your embarrassment at making such a mistake, but we all do that. I know I have. I also know it's far better to admit your mistakes than pretend you never made one.

chaim
06-07-2012, 02:06 PM
Exactly, chaim. I don't know why some people seem so very invested in minimizing the role of the man who wrote the solo and played it on the recording. What is achieved by this?

TK, surely you're not going to try to pretend now that when you argued it was Don's solo because he played it in the video, what you really meant was that he made it his own live and you simply preferred his version to Glenn's? Come on! You were making an argument to take Glenn out of the equation entirely. Here is what you wrote:

I understand your embarrassment at making such a mistake, but we all do that. I know I have. I also know it's far better to admit your mistakes than pretend you never made one.

If he does feel embarrassed, there's indeed no need for that. I make a lot more embarrassing mistakes all the time :hilarious: In fact, a lot of you probably remember that I'm pretty sure that Glenn did all the harmonized lead guitar bits in One Of These Nights. I have asked Don about this via that web site, and I hope he will answer. If Don says that he played them all, I'm gonna feel very embarrassed indeed, after announcing that Glenn played them several times.:lie:

EDIT:

Maybe I should make a couple of corrections to a previous post of mine. I don't know if Glenn wrote the "dadadadadaa" guitar riff in ICTYW I mentioned. I just assumed that he did, because he's playing it in the original version, as well as the solos. I'm not sure if he wrote the intro either. I assume that he did, because he once told about the writing process, how Timothy showed the initial idea of the song, and Glenn immediately went to play an electric piano and said to Timothy, "You want something like this, Tim?".

Topkat
06-07-2012, 05:06 PM

I guess I have to defend myself here, as you have all put me in that position. I am NOT embarrassed about my statement. I never KNEW that Glenn did the solo because I do not read every SINGLE LINER NOTE on an album. I really DON'T pay attention to who writes or plays EVERY SINGLE WORD, LINE OR GUITAR SOLO. I NEVER SAW GLENN play it or read that he wrote it or that he played it on the original version of ICTYW.

When I saw the video, which was supposedly???? the making of ICTYW, Don was playing the solo, so I assumed that was how it went down. If it was an error, it's just that. An error. I was only making a statement with the information I had at the time. If that's not how it was recorded, why was it labeled as such? I had posted that video in Timothy's thread a while back, and it was on VH1 or some other show.
Like I said, my statement was from the information I had at that time.
I cannot believe all the fuss over this. Excuse me for making the statement that was not correct.

Topkat
06-07-2012, 05:19 PM
This is the video I am referring to. In the description below the video it does say that Glenn played the solo in The Long Run recording, but you can easily see how this mistake is made, going by the visual. I apologize for the error. I can only think if Timothy when it comes to this song, so my concentration was elsewhere!!! I hope you can get that, because Timothy is my guy, so I get distracted when he's doing this song!

http://www.totallyfuzzy.net/ourtube/eagles/i-cant-tell-you-why-video_e60e7eb7f.html

Freypower
06-07-2012, 06:42 PM
I guess I have to defend myself here, as you have all put me in that position. I am NOT embarrassed about my statement. I never KNEW that Glenn did the solo because I do not read every SINGLE LINER NOTE on an album. I really DON'T pay attention to who writes or plays EVERY SINGLE WORD, LINE OR GUITAR SOLO. I NEVER SAW GLENN play it or read that he wrote it or that he played it on the original version of ICTYW.

When I saw the video, which was supposedly???? the making of ICTYW, Don was playing the solo, so I assumed that was how it went down. If it was an error, it's just that. An error. I was only making a statement with the information I had at the time. If that's not how it was recorded, why was it labeled as such? I had posted that video in Timothy's thread a while back, and it was on VH1 or some other show.
Like I said, my statement was from the information I had at that time.
I cannot believe all the fuss over this. Excuse me for making the statement that was not correct.

The ICTYW video was not the 'making' of ICTYW any more than the videos of The Long Run & In The City were videos of the 'making' of those songs. They were not 'labelled' as such in any way, shape or form; it was just that in order for the keyboard part of the song to be in the video, Glenn had to be shown playing keyboards, and he subsequently then had to play keyboards when it was played live, which meant that someone else (Felder) had to be shown playing guitar.

The liner notes of The Long Run read , for ICTYW:

Written by TBS, DH & GF
Lead vocal by TBS
Guitar solos by GF

You state that you didn't read every single liner note. OK. I would have thought you might have been interested in the details for this song, given that it is sung by your favourite member.

GlennLover
06-07-2012, 07:04 PM
Out of curiosity I went searching as I was sure that we had had a discussion about this solo some time ago. Here is the link to that Nov 2009 thread. ICTYW is mentioned in posts from #301 to #315. https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/showthread.php?t=585&highlight=ICTYW+Glenn+solo&page=31

I found an interesting point made by MikeA. In his post (# 313) he mentioned one possible reason why Glenn left the live ICTYW guitar solos to Don F & Steuart:

If you were in a band and wrote a song with great guitar in it, for the recording would you not choose the BEST in the group on that instrument to play it? And in performances (i.e. Concerts) would you not want the Best in the group to play the song?

In my post (#311) I mention an interview
On an interview that Don H & Glenn did for The Long Run when they were discussing ICTYW, Don complimented Glenn's playing by saying "he can play guitar". Glenn, of course, was very modest about it and downplayed his abilities.

During this interview Glenn said, half jokingly "they let me play" & Don jokingly answered "Yeah, we let him play". Cute but it's Glenn downplaying his guitar playing abilities again.

sodascouts
06-08-2012, 01:53 AM
This is the video I am referring to. In the description below the video it does say that Glenn played the solo in The Long Run recording, but you can easily see how this mistake is made, going by the visual. I apologize for the error. I can only think if Timothy when it comes to this song, so my concentration was elsewhere!!! I hope you can get that, because Timothy is my guy, so I get distracted when he's doing this song!

http://www.totallyfuzzy.net/ourtube/eagles/i-cant-tell-you-why-video_e60e7eb7f.html

I can understand how Timothy might distract you - he is magnificent on this song. The video may be a bit misleading, but I'm still glad we have it - such eye candy!

chaim
06-08-2012, 12:40 PM
My apologies, Topkat. But you must understand that internet forums are full of stuff that the artists themselves couldn't care less about. And whatever is being discussed, there's always someone who thinks it isn't worth discussing. I felt that I had a point when I posted that answer from Don. Some agreed with me, some feel that it's pointless. It's the very nature of these forums.

sodascouts
06-08-2012, 12:47 PM
That's the truth, chaim! I figure, there's never any harm in posting information to clarify a matter that has confused a lot of people. Clearing up misconceptions is one of the reasons forums exist, like I said recently in another thread. Knowledge is power!

Topkat
06-08-2012, 01:58 PM
I want to clarify that I had no intent to dismiss Glenn.
To be honest my Long Run cd is missing these days. I have it on my ipod, but do not have access to the actual physical cd, so I am "Guilty of the Crime" of not reading liner notes!!
Actually, I rarely read cd liner notes because they are usually just too small...:dizzy: and it frustrates me to have to strain my eyes to read them!

chaim
06-08-2012, 02:22 PM
I want to clarify that I had no intent to dismiss Glenn.
To be honest my Long Run cd is missing these days. I have it on my ipod, but do not have access to the actual physical cd, so I am "Guilty of the Crime" of not reading liner notes!!
Actually, I rarely read cd liner notes because they are usually just too small...:dizzy: and it frustrates me to have to strain my eyes to read them!

By the way, I want to clarify that this topic wasn't aimed at you. To be honest I didn't even remember who had said what regarding the solo. I was thinking of YouTube comments I've seen (the "Glenn Frey plays on the original" - "F** off" kind of interaction going on in there) and I remembered that we had discussed it here, how some thought that Don's "sensual guitar" comment in his book meant taking credit for the original solo.
So again, I want you to know that I didn't have you in mind when I started this.

Topkat
06-09-2012, 09:44 AM
By the way, I want to clarify that this topic wasn't aimed at you. To be honest I didn't even remember who had said what regarding the solo. I was thinking of YouTube comments I've seen (the "Glenn Frey plays on the original" - "F** off" kind of interaction going on in there) and I remembered that we had discussed it here, how some thought that Don's "sensual guitar" comment in his book meant taking credit for the original solo.
So again, I want you to know that I didn't have you in mind when I started this.

I realize the thread wasn't started because of me, but somehow I jumped into the thread, & then I suddenly felt under attack. It's hard not to take it personal, which is why I felt the need to defend myself. I guess most of the reason people (I mean on YouTube) or maybe not avid Eagles fans may think that it was Don's solo is because Don did play it most of the time, & most have not seen Glenn play it, or like me, didn't read the liner notes on The Long Run. I have now been enlightened to the history of the song, so it's all good. Peace Out :rockon:

chaim
06-09-2012, 01:49 PM
I realize the thread wasn't started because of me, but somehow I jumped into the thread, & then I suddenly felt under attack. It's hard not to take it personal, which is why I felt the need to defend myself. I guess most of the reason people (I mean on YouTube) or maybe not avid Eagles fans may think that it was Don's solo is because Don did play it most of the time, & most have not seen Glenn play it, or like me, didn't read the liner notes on The Long Run. I have now been enlightened to the history of the song, so it's all good. Peace Out :rockon:

This is one of the most warmhearted internet forums I've ever seen. I guess that's why I feel sad when someone feels he's /she's being attacked here (in this case it was probably a misunderstanding on everyone's part), while in most internet forums it would be a quite normal situation.:mrgreen:

sodascouts
06-09-2012, 03:40 PM
in most internet forums it would be a quite normal situation.:mrgreen:

Seriously! Coming from a background where I've been a member of lots of forums, I've always been surprised at how this one has stayed so much tamer. What some consider "major drama" here is child's play. It's not due to me; I ran a Fleetwood Mac board with crazy drama. In fact, I once linked to a Fleetwood Mac board's Survivor game to show our Survivor players here, who were thinking we had a lot of drama while playing it, what real internet drama looks like. lol

chaim
06-09-2012, 04:28 PM
Seriously! Coming from a background where I've been a member of lots of forums, I've always been surprised at how this one has stayed so much tamer. What some consider "major drama" here is child's play. It's not due to me; I ran a Fleetwood Mac board with crazy drama. In fact, I once linked to a Fleetwood Mac board's Survivor game to show our Survivor players here, who were thinking we had a lot of drama while playing it, what real internet drama looks like. lol

I like to think that it has something to do with the spirit of the Eagles! It's the same thing with the Moody Blues Hall forum. Such a warm atmosphere there. And what a lovely band too!

EDIT:

I also think that it does have something to do with you. When you have "slightly heated arguments" with someone here, you are willing to forget it, let it go and continue like it never existed, and I respect that very much.

armus2112
04-15-2016, 09:09 PM
Revisiting this thread!

What an amazing solo by Glenn. Not only the composition but the performance.

MaryCalifornia
04-15-2016, 10:58 PM
ICTYW is a real jewel in the Eagles catalog. Such a departure for them, such a different, unique sound! I'm so glad they went with it. I love it, and I love LITFL and Those Shoes. These songs just expand their repertoire in such a fun way. Everyone loves ICTYW!!!!! Also, the guys seem to like it! It's a fine bit of music, especially the solo and the intro (and obvs the vocals)

WalshFan88
04-16-2016, 03:24 AM
The ICTYW solo is probably my top 3 favorite Glenn guitar moment, other than the Already Gone solo and the Witchy Woman solo.

That said, I feel that Felder made it his own when he played it, and so did Stu. The same notes and general feel but the littlest of changes in the phrasing between them. It sounds very Felder-y to begin with in it's phrasing and note choice, so I can see where some might think it's him but the fact of them not wanting to admit it's not is a problem. I like to think they all influenced each others styles.

But yeah, definitely a wonderful lyrical solo that showed Glenn's fretboard skills that were seldom shown in the Eagles outside of a select few songs.

chaim
04-16-2016, 10:10 AM
I think there are bits here and there in certain Felder solos that sound a bit like a few things Glenn did later in his solo career. A lick or two in the One Of These Nights solo, the After The Thrill Is Gone solo. So Glenn may have been influenced by him. But I've never felt that the ICTYW solo is Felderish. Interesting. Maybe it is.

I prefer the way Glenn plays it on the album. Real smooth, no conscious "interpretating" going on. Not trying to sound emotional or something, you know, just playing it. And it's beautiful. But yeah, having said that, it's not really the way Don played it that bothers me. It's the fact that some people refuse to admit that it's Glenn who came up with it and played it on the album. Once when someone had no alternative but to believe that it's Glenn on the album, he still tried to take it away from him by suggesting that he didn't necessarily write it. :? I mean, why is it so hard for some people to accept that Glenn Frey wrote and played one solo they happen to love? It should be a nonissue.

buffyfan145
04-16-2016, 10:34 AM
I've always loved this song and it's one of mine and my Mom's favorites of Timothy's lead vocals. I also loved Vince Gill's cover (who I've been a fan of forever too) as that was also around the time of HFO and I really became an Eagles fan and wanting to learn more about them. Although as an 8 year old I didn't really pay attention to who did what parts except the vocals, but I always liked the solo. That being said it wasn't till I saw an interview with Vince after Glenn passed where Vince said he always loved Glenn's solo, and it inspired Vince's own guitar playing. I was totally shocked I didn't know Glenn did that part. Looking back I should have noticed as Glenn's guitar playing style is similar in his solo songs, so it brought a new appreciation for a song I already loved. :)

Jonny Come Lately
04-16-2016, 03:59 PM
I love the ICTYW solo, and the song itself. I agree with MC, as I think it's quite different from any of the other tracks on The Long Run album but it fits really in well amongst the often dark and/or cynical rock songs that IMO define that record. It was a great start to Tim's career with the Eagles, yet I also think it's one of the definitive Glenn songs. I believe it was his idea to get Tim to sing an R&B song as it sounds very different from his Poco work, especially when compared to say Do Something. The smooth R&B style is very much in Glenn's musical territory and he is the most noticeable musician on the record, with the Fender Rhodes piano and of course his delightful guitar solo. When listening on my headphones, I often listen to it on repeat.

I do get slightly annoyed when I see people credit Don F with playing the solo on the studio version, although I also love the HFO version where Don is playing it. It's funny because I believe from reading from people who know a lot more about guitar playing than I do that it's technically pretty, yet is often described it as a lyrical solo. I guess it's one of those 'lightning in a bottle' moments that happen in music, Glenn really hit the sweet spot there.

Philh
09-01-2016, 06:26 AM
Credit should go to Steuart Smith when he played this during the Eagles' shows.
He is such a great guitar player.