PDA

View Full Version : Large Soda Ban in NYC Restaurants

sodascouts
06-05-2012, 02:22 PM
No, I'm not talking about myself. I'm still allowed to go to restaurants in NYC, lol. However, something dear to my heart is being attacked there!

NYC major Bloomberg is proposing a ban on large sodas at restaurants in New York City (http://www.ajc.com/health/nyc-proposes-ban-on-1449636.html) (see more here (http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/31/nyregion/bloomberg-plans-a-ban-on-large-sugared-drinks.html?_r=1) and here (http://www.wtam.com/cc-common/news/sections/newsarticle.html?feed=104668&article=10168374)).

Say WHAT???

Don't try to limit my soda intake or someone may get hurt!

Seriously though, how stupid does he think the public is?

Let's let him explain it to us.

You tend to eat all of the food in the container. If it's bigger, you eat more. If somebody put a smaller glass or plate or bowl in front of you, you would eat less.

You mean, if I order a large drink, I'll have more to drink than if I had ordered a medium or small? WOW! Thanks, Mr. Mayor - until you enlightened us, I had no idea what the word "large" meant when I made my order.

People would still be free to order more than one drink [so] I don’t think you can make the case that we’re taking things away.
And so this measure accomplishes what exactly? Making soda drinkers improve their balance and coordination as they carry two sodas into the movie theater instead of one (Heaven forbid you've ordered popcorn too, especially with butter - maybe Bloomberg should ban those too)?

[This won't hurt the economy because] restaurants could simply charge more for smaller drinks if their sales were to drop.

Oh, lovely. Well, the ban definitely would accomplish punishing people who are already drinking less soda by making them pay more, then. Brilliant!

We’re not taking away anybody’s right to do things, we’re simply forcing you to understand that you have to make the conscious decision to go from one cup to another cup.

"Forcing" people to understand they have to make a decision.... I don't even know what to say to that. Obviously we can't understand such things without being "forced" to! WTH? Question answered about how stupid he thinks his public is.

Take this, Mr. Bloomberg!
:soda: :soda: :soda::soda: :soda:

But hey, this doesn't effect alcohol. So skip the rum and coke, please. Just give me the rum straight up!

VAisForEagleLovers
06-05-2012, 02:31 PM
The good news is this doesn't effect alcohol. So skip the rum and coke, please. Just drink the rum straight up!

You know I endorse this statement!! Haha! I don't ever drink soda (or pop as we call it back home) unless it's holding up alcohol, and even then I try and limit the amount! Which explains all the After Hours Morning After Headaches in May...

Seriously, though, there are several ways to approach this 'awareness program' and he totally picked the way that makes the least sense.

sodascouts
06-05-2012, 02:43 PM
That's the thing. I know soda's not a healthy drink. I remember in grade school the demonstration of the tooth in the jar of Coke. I remember how my mother refused to keep soda in the house until my younger sister and I were in high school in order to discourage us from drinking it; even then she only backed down because when we were living alone while she and dad were in Saudi Arabia, we guzzled soda without restraint and there was no going back when they returned a couple years later. Most recently, my younger sister actually gave me a print out of a webpage on the harmful effects of drinking soda.... and she smokes. Go figure.

What I am trying to say is that I am making an informed choice, and it's not one I have to be "forced" to understand. I think it tastes good and so I drink it. Simple as that. I'm not hurting anyone else, so there's no reason for anyone to try and stop me. (Don't give me that "this will descrease obesity and therefore lower insurance" BS - you can make that argument for anything high in calories. What's next, banning restaurants from serving foods that contain over 2000 calories per serving? I'm not even kidding. The same logic would apply, and the precedent would be set.)

VAisForEagleLovers
06-05-2012, 02:59 PM
I've heard of some state and local municipalities doing exactly that! Banning or restricting high calorie foods. Some have forced restaurants to list calorie and nutrition info. I don't think this is a bad idea since everything else comes with a label. With soda, everyone knows what they're getting (unless it's watered down and they're getting less than they think).

For me, I don't drink soda for the same reason I don't like beer. I'm not a carbonated beverage kind of person. Really has nothing to do with health, obviously, since I drown it with Captain Morgan or Jack Daniels.

WalshFan88
06-05-2012, 04:33 PM
That sucks!!!

As a huge soda drinker (and I'm talking huge!!!!) I would go nuts.

Until this recent ulcer, I was up to drinking almost a case (12pk) of Dr. Pepper a day. Because of my stomach, I had to cut way back and now it's more like 4 cans a day.

I know it's not healthy, but I'm not a big water fan, and I'm not a flavored water fan either. I like grape juice but not a fan of other fruit juices and am not a big milk drinker. I do like lemonade but not all the time. I also really like fruit punch once in awhile.

Topkat
06-05-2012, 05:00 PM
I've heard of some state and local municipalities doing exactly that! Banning or restricting high calorie foods. Some have forced restaurants to list calorie and nutrition info. I don't think this is a bad idea since everything else comes with a label. With soda, everyone knows what they're getting (unless it's watered down and they're getting less than they think).

For me, I don't drink soda for the same reason I don't like beer. I'm not a carbonated beverage kind of person. Really has nothing to do with health, obviously, since I drown it with Captain Morgan or Jack Daniels.

In NY restaurants, any chain restaurant is required to list the calories of the meal. Believe me , it makes a big difference. When I look at the menu & it says the meal is 2300 calories, I think twice & will not order it. That is OVER the amount of calories one should eat the entire day. When it's in your face, it suddenly doesn't look so good.

I have mixed feelings about this thing about the sodas. There is so much sugar in soda & in a large one it's a huge amount. You would be able to get a large size of a DIET soda, so I think the idea is to maybe have people switch over to diet soda. I just think the reasoning behind it is that when you buy the large size, you drink the whole thing, even if you are no longer thirsty & take in more sugar than you really would otherwise. I only drink Diet soda, & I never drink a large size anyway, so to me it's no big deal.
You can still buy a 2 liter in the supermarket, so I don't see how it solves the problem, but people say they lose a lot of weight when they cut down on soda. But really the point is...the mayor is just going too far with this kind of thing. He's a control freak!

sodascouts
06-05-2012, 06:09 PM
I actually like the idea of making restaurants post calories. That gives me info that I can use to help me make my own decisions. But there's a difference between that and telling the restaurant they CAN'T serve me a high calorie food if I make the decision that I want it in spite of the calories.

Brooke
06-06-2012, 09:58 AM
I actually like the idea of making restaurants post calories. That gives me info that I can use to help me make my own decisions. But there's a difference between that and telling the restaurant they CAN'T serve me a high calorie food if I make the decision that I want it in spite of the calories.

And there is the problem! This is supposed to be a free country. I don't think government should try to tell anyone what they can or can not drink. Surely most people are smart enough to know what they should or should not drink? Or they have a guardian that can.

Topkat
06-06-2012, 10:13 AM

There is no issue to ban high calorie foods, only to post the calorie count. I think people have no idea how many calories they are consuming in a meal. When I was in Friday's (where they now post calories) I was shocked to see how many calories were in some of those salads. People think by choosing a salad, they are picking a healthy meal, but a salad with over 2,000 calories is not so healthy. It was a real eye opener for me. In this country over 30% of the population is OBESE & they expect that number to rise to over 40% within the next 10 years. People need to be more aware of what they are eating, and the soda issue is part of that.
I find that when you eat out, the portions are huge. My solution is to eat half the meal & take the rest home & eat it the next day. I know people sometimes think that's tacky, but I am not going to eat 2,000 calories at one meal. No way!

EagleLady
06-06-2012, 10:20 AM
That sucks. I love my Soda, Of course I try to drink Water in between.

Brooke
06-06-2012, 10:58 AM
I rarely drink soda and when I do, it's diet, but I don't think the government needs to tell people what to eat or drink. Unsweetened iced tea is my everyday drink, plus water in between. Black coffee in the morning is also a must.

I do think it's great that they post the calories in the menus. It definitely makes me think. Tk, that's a great idea to just eat half and take the rest home. Or some people share a meal.

sodascouts
06-06-2012, 01:06 PM
When I went began my "weight loss journey" (a rather melodramatic term, I know) I began looking up calorie counts and, like TK, I was astonished at how high-calorie some everyday foods were - foods that I loved and ate all the time. What really blew my mind was the desserts. Even a little dessert has massive calories counts. I still eat those foods, but I eat a lot less of them - and it's all because I now know the calories.

I don't think it's tacky at all to take some home. I do that often. Usually only upscale restaurants frown upon that, but I guess they figure if you're rich enough to go to their restaurant, you'll disdain eating leftovers. Therefore, the logic goes that anyone who is cool with eating leftovers must not be truly high class. WhatEVER.

I'd rather do that than sharing a plate at a restaurant, because it always annoys the wait staff when they see the tab will only be for one meal. That reminds me - Dan Tana's charges a fee if you share your plate! I've never heard of such a thing. Guess it's designed to keep out the po' folks who can't afford two meals at such a place but still would like to dine there. Nice. :rolleyes:

And TK, while there is no issue to ban high calorie foods in restaurants in New York yet, it is happening elsewhere as Brooke pointed out.

Topkat
06-06-2012, 02:35 PM
I don't think it's tacky at all to take some home. I do that often. Usually only upscale restaurants frown upon that, but I guess they figure if you're rich enough to go to their restaurant, you'll disdain eating leftovers. Therefore, the logic goes that anyone who is cool with eating leftovers must not be truly high class. WhatEVER.

I'd rather do that than sharing a plate at a restaurant, because it always annoys the wait staff when they see the tab will only be for one meal. That reminds me - Dan Tana's charges a fee if you share your plate! I've never heard of such a thing. Guess it's designed to keep out the po' folks who can't afford two meals at such a place but still would like to dine there. Nice. :rolleyes:

And TK, while there is no issue to ban high calorie foods in restaurants in New York yet, it is happening elsewhere as Brooke pointed out.

I have taken home food from upscale restaurants, & they didn't seem to mind. I only take home certain things, some don't hold up well the next day. Some places also have a "Half Order" of things, in a smaller portion, of course it is not "half the price" It's more, but whatever.
I have also heard of places that charge extra to share. That is pretty common here. I really have not heard that they are actually "Banning" High calorie food. Where is this happening?
I just think in general we need to be more aware of what we eat, and knowing the calorie count does help. Some people don't give a crap that they are 100 pounds overweight, but some do. I have a heck of a time just trying to lose 10 pounds. It sucks!

TimothyBFan
06-07-2012, 09:38 AM
Where to start on this subject.... I know....
I'M NOT STUPID AND CAN MAKE MY OWN DECISIONS, THEY MIGHT NOT ALWAYS BE WISE ONES, BUT I DO THINK FOR MYSELF!!!!!

So are fast food places taking out the self serve refill soda bars? We have them in almost every fast food joint here in Indiana.

I drink a lot of DIET Coke, I like it better than regular soda. I start with it in the morning (I've never drank coffee) and around mid afternoon start drinking water. And I drink A LOT of water!!!! LOVE IT!! Those are the only 2 things I ever drink.

Yes, I am overweight but I love food and DIET Coke!!! So what? I don't drink alcohol (quit that 16 years ago) and I've never smoked. My one vice that's bad for me is food. Give me a flipping break!!!! Don't worry, I'm one of the smart ones that won't sue McDonald's because, I'll be damned, after eating a Big Mac once a day I gained a gazillion pounds and have heart problems. I'm smarter than that and hence, can make my own decisions on what I want to eat and when and HOW MUCH!!!

What burns me most is the fact that the people making up these stupid *ss laws probably freakin' binge drink on a regular basis, and some probably closet smoke in their own homes, etc... yet they have the nerve to tell me that a large soda is harmful to my health. Well thanks a lot for enlightening me!!

BTW- Soda, I almost spit my large Diet Coke I was drinking out when I was reading your post from laughing so hard. Good one!!!!!!!!!!!!

Glennsallnighter
06-07-2012, 12:29 PM
I totally agree Willie! IMHO this is the Nanny State gone too far. I think most people are capable of deciding how much soda they wish to drink or are capable of drinking with a meal.

As regards the silly comment made in that article by the guy in Subway where he feels that people who drink large amounts of soda cause his insurance premium to be higher - By that definition we should not be allowed out in the sun for longer than 10 mins at a time in case we get skin cancer, or maybe cigarettes should be sold singly to prevent lung cancer..... or maybe my vice, coffee should only come in small cups as large ones might cause me to do something irrational if i have too much caffeine in my system.
Oh and of course, alcohol consumption should be limited too.

What I'm saying is we all have our own free wills. Yes, I know that to drink several litres of sugary soda every day is probably not good for me, but let it be my choice! I'm well capable of making an informed decision for both myself and my children as to what is the appropriate amount to drink.

And maybe, the odd day when I'm hot and tired and thirsty, I WILL order a supersize soda.......

..... but I'll have to be in the USA to do it. 16 oz is 'large' over here in fast food restaurants!!

Glennsallnighter
06-07-2012, 12:36 PM

I wouldn't share a main course in a Restaurant, but as a family we often order a shared starter in places like TGIF or Hard Rock Cafe. I don't always order dessert as I'm just too full to want it! But I might order a cocktail instead. Also the kids desserts are often too big for them to manage so I just order a coffee, and use the accompanying spoon to 'help' the kids!

Yep! I remember noticing that extra fee for sharing in Dan Tanas as well! Still, I think between us we more than justified our presence there!

lizzyplays
06-07-2012, 12:43 PM
That sucks!!!

As a huge soda drinker (and I'm talking huge!!!!) I would go nuts.

Until this recent ulcer, I was up to drinking almost a case (12pk) of Dr. Pepper a day. Because of my stomach, I had to cut way back and now it's more like 4 cans a day.

I know it's not healthy, but I'm not a big water fan, and I'm not a flavored water fan either. I like grape juice but not a fan of other fruit juices and am not a big milk drinker. I do like lemonade but not all the time. I also really like fruit punch once in awhile.

Oh, my dear Austin... I'm going to play mom for a bit... lol That's WAY too much soda... even the 4 per day!!! The sugar and calories alone... and the teeth issue is true.. and I am now having to pay dearly for it.. getting a partial plate at age 48. :-( Gosh, I hate to preach... but I try to make it one of my life's missions to help young people in different ways, or make a difference or offer up unwanted advice... :-) I think since I've started to fall apart, I am more aware of what goes in my body... not a health nut, but honestly, everyone as a whole has been eating some of the most ungodly chemicals and what not for years and the companies that make things have been getting away with it! Ut oh.. do I sound crazy? I swear, I am not.

WalshFan88
06-07-2012, 07:09 PM
Oh, my dear Austin... I'm going to play mom for a bit... lol That's WAY too much soda... even the 4 per day!!! The sugar and calories alone... and the teeth issue is true.. and I am now having to pay dearly for it.. getting a partial plate at age 48. :-( Gosh, I hate to preach... but I try to make it one of my life's missions to help young people in different ways, or make a difference or offer up unwanted advice... :-) I think since I've started to fall apart, I am more aware of what goes in my body... not a health nut, but honestly, everyone as a whole has been eating some of the most ungodly chemicals and what not for years and the companies that make things have been getting away with it! Ut oh.. do I sound crazy? I swear, I am not.

My first (sarcastic) response:

OK MOMMMMMMMMM!!!!! :hilarious:

My serious real response:

I know I know. :( It's a horrible addiction. That and potato chips are my horrible addictions. I don't eat much sugary food as far as desserts go but my soda and my Ruffles chips are my problem.... If I had more drinks I liked I'd drink something else. But my other choice would be fruit punch, which is also not very good. I'm trying to cut back, and I did as I had to for my stomach and I am trying to cut back. It's just tough as it's super addictive. I also forgot to mention it's Diet Dr. Pepper I drink, not regular. Don't know if that's better or worse.

Topkat
06-07-2012, 10:21 PM
Well, all I can say about this is that none of you will probably have to deal with this because as far as I know this is only happening in NY. Our mayor Bloomberg is a control freak. The whole issue doesn't effect me personally, so I really don't care. I have more important things to worry about....like finding a new JOB.:headscratch:

Henley Honey
06-08-2012, 02:55 PM
I think Bloomberg has good intentions -- especially considering the inrease in obesity and diabetes, but in an effort to solve the problem, the ban on large-sized soda sales is like putting a band-aid on a gushing arterial bleed. It's not going to fix the problem.

Individual and parental responsiblity will help as will education and exercise.

Maybe restaurants should offer lower-caloric options of food and drinks at a less expensive price than high-caloric options. I bet you'd have more people buying a bottle of water rather than a 16 oz. soda if it was less expensive. Just MHO . . .

lizzyplays
06-08-2012, 10:28 PM
I think Bloomberg has good intentions -- especially considering the inrease in obesity and diabetes, but in an effort to solve the problem, the ban on large-sized soda sales is like putting a band-aid on a gushing arterial bleed. It's not going to fix the problem.

Maybe restaurants should offer lower-caloric options of food and drinks at a less expensive price than high-caloric options. I bet you'd have more people buying a bottle of water rather than a 16 oz. soda if it was less expensive. Just MHO . . .

I totally agree with you HH. I think his intentions were good, but execution not so much. This country is becoming increasingly more obese at an alarming rate and it's in part due to supersized EVERYTHING. Portions are out of control. There's no kind of restraint with anything! There are other culprits too such as all of the packaged, processed crap ingested (sodas included). I am an avid fan of Jamie Oliver and what he accomplished in British schools and what's he's trying to accomplish over here as well but he's only one person and without our support, he can't do it alone. I am surrounded by obesity and I work in a restaurant that serves up HUGE portions, covered and smothered in gravy and butter and baskets of biscuits and cornbread... you get the idea. As adults, we can make our own choices, but I am appalled at the toddlers and kids who are fed nothing but pasta and bread and starch and sodas full of sugar. And they are all OVERWEIGHT. Yes, yes.., I have a few pounds to lose and I gained it because my hand was constantly feeding my mouth. But, I used eating to get over smoking.. not my brightest idea.

Anyways, I've rambled... but, seriously the country as a whole needs to get a grip. I agree that it's everyone's 'right' to do what they will, but there are people who need educating and lead by example and I think that's ultimately what Bloomberg is after. I'm just afraid he's gone about it in all the wrong way. IMHO

Topkat
06-09-2012, 08:34 AM
I don't even think that offering a FREE bottle of water will tempt people to not order soda. I think when people go to a restaurant, they are there for a treat, and they order whatever may tempt them on the menu, whatever the calorie count is. Sometimes, I know with me, I say to myself, I've had a rough day, or I deserve this, or whatever rationalization one can come up with at the time. You have to really make an effort to make the right choice off the menu. When you go for Italian food, you may say, Well, I don't eat this that often, so I'm going to treat myself. It's very easy to talk yourself into eating something fattening, especially if your friends are ordering a yummy dish. When they put that bread on the table it's hard to resist. It really takes a lot of control to eat healthy in a restaurant. The best way to have control of your eating is to eat at home & make it yourself, so you know exactly how it's made & what is in it, but that is not always possible, & social events tempt everyone to overeat.

I'm not really sure what the answer is, but the soda limit is just a small dent in the huge problem. I also think the mayor has good intentions, but I doubt this will really make any difference at all.

EaglesKiwi
06-10-2012, 05:24 AM

I totally agree with you on all your points, HH!

I do wonder if the whole kerfuffle is designed to raise awareness about the sugar/calorie contents of soda (and away-from-home food in general), rather than anyone seriously thinking it could be enacted?

Our last Labour government (left wing - but further left than US Democrats because our political centre line is to the left of yours anyway) copped a lot of flak for trying to create a Nanny State, including setting rules around what foods could be sold in schools (e.g. pies could only be offered once a month). However we would still see hordes of children coming out of the convenience stores on their way to school with large bottles of soda (1 or 2 litres which is a quart or half a gallon!) in one hand, and pies or similar in the other.

I do think education is crucial. One of the most depressing stories I've heard was from a friend who saw a baby in hospital, with a bottle of chocolate milk - apparently it was all it drank?! :sigh:

Price is also a big factor in decision-making - how can we expect people to make healthy choices when it is cheaper to feed the family on high-fat, high-salt or high-sugar foods... over here soda is about half the price of milk and we are on of the world's top dairy nations. :shrug:

Wildthyme
06-10-2012, 02:19 PM
While I do not necessarily agree with this ban I can understand the motivation. I'd like to believe we are smart enough to make good choices for ourselves but the ever increasing rates of obesity and related health issues certainly makes it look otherwise. And I am hardly the poster child for good choices as my over-ample waistline proves. One thing I did do for myself is give up soda completely 4 years ago. It was not easy because I loved my fizzy drinks but when I realized I was pouring a liter or more of a toxic chemical stew disguised as food into my body every day it finally motivated me to stop. I drink water or tea now and no artificial sweeteners either - just stevia sometimes. Now if I could just figure out how to give up the rest of the stuff that contributes to my weight issues I would have it made...:sigh: