PDA

View Full Version : Gene Simmons

chaim
06-07-2012, 04:42 PM
I have referred to this guy many times here, he's one of my "heroes" in the music world. He came up with many great, melodic bass lines in the 70's for KISS songs, and he's still a very melodic player. But what I like most about him is his sense of humor and how he makes fun of himself all the time (like going backstage to Paul Stanley's solo show, and saying to everyone "Aren't you all glad to see me?":D). All his life he's written mostly beautiful melodic stuff, but apart from a few songs, only the rock tunes have been released. Like he's said himself, he's really a softie. I'd like to who show you some of his more melodic stuff, and maybe hear what you think. These are from his solo album from 1978:

This first one is one of my all-time favourite songs. Gene wrote it in the 60's.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBUFk68Jo7Q

It was a thrill to see KISS perform this in Unplugged in the 90's:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rf_Yy16iqY

Some other songs from his first solo album:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJSjwke6uQg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4bJ31tejeAM

This is a song he wrote with a friend of his before there was KISS. But KISS recorded it for their second album. The chords came from his friend, and Gene wrote the vocal melodies, lyrics and the beautiful bassline that starts the song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBPpM5YHAeE
What do you people think. Do they suck?

GlennLover
06-07-2012, 05:42 PM
I don't have time to listen to them right now but, I'll come back later to do so. I just wanted to comment that I enjoy watching "Gene Simmons Family Jewels". It's very interesting. At times you see that "softie" in him. Very different from his KISS persona.

EagleLady
06-07-2012, 06:32 PM
I love KISS. Gene is not my favorite member but he's a good bass player.

WalshFan88
06-07-2012, 06:53 PM
Gene is a very polarizing figure (you either love him or hate him it seems, with very little in between) but I think he's a good bass player and I do like KISS. I prefer the Ace Frehley and Peter Criss years, but I like KISS in general. I also like Family Jewels on TV.

lizzyplays
06-08-2012, 12:49 AM
I don't have time to listen to them right now but, I'll come back later to do so. I just wanted to comment that I enjoy watching "Gene Simmons Family Jewels". It's very interesting. At times you see that "softie" in him. Very different from his KISS persona.

I absolutely LOVE Family Jewels!!! and the kids... omg.. love love love.. especially Nick. He's hilarious!

TimothyBFan
06-08-2012, 08:38 AM
Gene is a very polarizing figure (you either love him or hate him it seems, with very little in between)

Won't say what side I'm on.

I hear Kiss is touring this summer with Motley Crue? Don't know how I feel about this. And isn't there only Paul & Gene in the band now of "real" members of Kiss, or am I completely wrong there? Please excuse my ignorance on this. A friend and I were talking about it the other night and wondering how this is going to work- which band will be the headliner. I can't see either of them taking the stage 2nd.

chaim
06-08-2012, 12:28 PM
Of course I have many "heroes" in the music world. Glenn, of course, being one of them, and Tony Banks of Genesis (in fact I'm "banks" in the KISS forum I visit.). But I thought that I'd like to mention Gene here, because, like WalshFan88 very accurately put it, people usually either love him or hate him. So I was interested in your thoughts and reactions to these songs. Also, my name here, of course, is Gene's original name.
Yes, Gene and Paul are the only original members in KISS at the moment. I'm not a fan of two different people wearing Ace and Peter's makeup, but musically they are great today. In fact, whenever I see footage from their recent soundchecks, I wish they would perform like that - without makeup and in normal clothes. They look so much better and cooler at soundchecks! Especially Paul and Tommy Thayer. I think Gene is the only one of them who looks cool either way, because there's so much humour in his mannerisms, with or without makeup. When Paul puts on the makeup and walks onstage, he's so serious.

chaim
06-08-2012, 12:33 PM
For those of you who like Gene's bass playing...Have your heard this pre-KISS song? I think he does some nice bass work here. The guy who produced this unreleased record said that Gene's bass playing was phenomenal in this song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0Li9QHGOt8

WalshFan88
06-08-2012, 12:35 PM
Won't say what side I'm on.

I hear Kiss is touring this summer with Motley Crue? Don't know how I feel about this. And isn't there only Paul & Gene in the band now of "real" members of Kiss, or am I completely wrong there? Please excuse my ignorance on this. A friend and I were talking about it the other night and wondering how this is going to work- which band will be the headliner. I can't see either of them taking the stage 2nd.

IIRC, KISS is going to be the 2nd show... Motley will open.

sodascouts
06-08-2012, 12:44 PM
Thanks for starting this thread, chaim. I was just thinking yesterday how lately it seems we're only starting threads for beloved musicians when they die. "Nothing is said 'til the artist is dead." It's time that trend changed. Gene Simmons is not really my cup of tea, but I recognize his talent.

TimothyBFan
06-08-2012, 01:13 PM
Ironically, just as I clicked into here to read it... This came on.....

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e136/williehoo/beth-1.jpg

Thanks Austin. I must admit I'm surprised Motley Crue will be the "opening act". I thought the egos of both the bands would be to big for that. Or are they considering it equal billing/ equal time?

ETA: Same thing just happened when I went into the Bob Welch thread. Strange!

chaim
06-08-2012, 03:31 PM
Ha! Many people like to say that Gene and Paul hated Beth, and didn't want it on the album. Some insiders, including the man himself (and even Peter, I think), have said that Gene loved it. Gene has said that he was "crazy about it", and that he was the one who (after hearing Peter sing it) told Peter to show the melody to Bob Ezrin, who was producing their album at the time.

lizzyplays
06-08-2012, 09:35 PM
I have tickets to the Kiss/Crue show here in Raleigh, so I will be sure to post a few after the concert in July!! I grew up with Crue, as I did GnR and Kiss was a childhood staple since I can remember. Brilliant marketing on Gene's part here... but then again, he is a brilliant businessman. Have to give him props there.

lizzyplays
06-08-2012, 10:13 PM
Ironically, just as I clicked into here to read it... This came on.....

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e136/williehoo/beth-1.jpg

Thanks Austin. I must admit I'm surprised Motley Crue will be the "opening act". I thought the egos of both the bands would be to big for that. Or are they considering it equal billing/ equal time?

ETA: Same thing just happened when I went into the Bob Welch thread. Strange!

It's billed as co-headliners and just as I suspected, I just read where Nikki said the Crue is taking the stage first and in his words "rightly so". The Crue guys grew up on KISS, and had them as their idols and they consider this whole thing a complete honor to be a part of, and not as some second class billing situation. :headbang:

WalshFan88
06-09-2012, 02:57 AM
I figured it'd be a co-headliner but I knew Motley was the opener/first act as they had said that during the press conference when they announced the tour.

chaim
06-09-2012, 09:34 AM
I like Mötley Crüe a lot. Everyone in that band isn't a KISS fan though. Mick Mars has always made it clear how much he does not like them. :lol: I love Mick. He's a very cool guy, and he's probably always been one of the most mature people in the hard rock genre in many ways. He's not an amazing lead guitarist (at least not in hard rock music), but he has come up with a lot of great riffs, and he's a fine rhythm guitarist. He's always been very open about the fact that he's a blues player and that he's in the hard rock world (or whatever you call it, heavy metal...), because it's easier to make a living. :guitar: Pragmatism.
I think this song (a song he wrote with Nikki) is full of tasty guitar work from Mick. The slide guitar, the chords & riffs in the first verse etc.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3QhVeHr-gM

lizzyplays
06-09-2012, 09:58 AM
I love the Crue too. I grew up in the hey day of the heavy metail hair bands (although I hated stuff like Poison and the frilly glam metal stuff). Which explains my addiction to Guns N' Roses. I was so disgusted with the over the top metal love ballads and GnR was the injection that I needed. Anyways, the Crue were bad assed too. Suprisingly, I didn't get to see them in concert during all of that time and I saw practically every other band during that period. I can't remember why... I'm sure there was a 'chemical' reason for me missing it....

I agree with you about Mick. I love the guy cus he's always seemed normal and mature to be in such a band of debauchery. I read in an article not to long ago that due to his health, that Dj Ashba would be the most likely heir to Mick's position should he have to retire. That, I would love to see... frankly because I'd love for Dj to get out of the so-called GnR of today. But, in his position, why would he? That's a well paying gig I am sure. Perhaps he would do both. Anyways, I'm really excited to be going to my first Crue concert and my 2nd Kiss. I'm just hoping that at my age I don't throw my neck out, or injure a knee...:shrug:

chaim
06-09-2012, 11:11 AM
I love the Crue too. I grew up in the hey day of the heavy metail hair bands (although I hated stuff like Poison and the frilly glam metal stuff). Which explains my addiction to Guns N' Roses. I was so disgusted with the over the top metal love ballads and GnR was the injection that I needed. Anyways, the Crue were bad assed too. Suprisingly, I didn't get to see them in concert during all of that time and I saw practically every other band during that period. I can't remember why... I'm sure there was a 'chemical' reason for me missing it....

I agree with you about Mick. I love the guy cus he's always seemed normal and mature to be in such a band of debauchery. I read in an article not to long ago that due to his health, that Dj Ashba would be the most likely heir to Mick's position should he have to retire. That, I would love to see... frankly because I'd love for Dj to get out of the so-called GnR of today. But, in his position, why would he? That's a well paying gig I am sure. Perhaps he would do both. Anyways, I'm really excited to be going to my first Crue concert and my 2nd Kiss. I'm just hoping that at my age I don't throw my neck out, or injure a knee...:shrug:

I hope I'll get to hear your opinion about their performances, especially since I won't be seeing them myself. That Mick/Dj Ashba thing was news to me. Very interesting.
And I very much agree with you on Guns'n'Roses being what was needed at the time. I've never been a fan of certain elements in their lyrics, but I can't deny that Axl is a very clever lyricist. His stuff in Coma, for example, is both haunting and hilarious in places.

lizzyplays
06-09-2012, 12:00 PM
I hope I'll get to hear your opinion about their performances, especially since I won't be seeing them myself. That Mick/Dj Ashba thing was news to me. Very interesting.
And I very much agree with you on Guns'n'Roses being what was needed at the time. I've never been a fan of certain elements in their lyrics, but I can't deny that Axl is a very clever lyricist. His stuff in Coma, for example, is both haunting and hilarious in places.

I'll do the best review that I can! I'm not very poetic with these kinds of things... unlike some of our other Border members who can write about such things with complete knowledge and understanding of what they witnessed. I'm afraid my review will be limited to "they rocked or they sucked". lol I'm not musically inclined, but I live, eat, breathe, sleep music. I thrive on live shows and concerts and just being there 'in the moment' will make it all worthwhile for me. My friends and I are thinking about dressing up in our best 80's heavy metal hair band attire and just being over the top, for the fun of it. I'll have to go buy a can of Aqua-Net for the occasion.

chaim
06-09-2012, 12:52 PM
I'll do the best review that I can! I'm not very poetic with these kinds of things... unlike some of our other Border members who can write about such things with complete knowledge and understanding of what they witnessed. I'm afraid my review will be limited to "they rocked or they sucked". lol I'm not musically inclined, but I live, eat, breathe, sleep music. I thrive on live shows and concerts and just being there 'in the moment' will make it all worthwhile for me. My friends and I are thinking about dressing up in our best 80's heavy metal hair band attire and just being over the top, for the fun of it. I'll have to go buy a can of Aqua-Net for the occasion.

Do not sell yourself short. I have (because of circumstances, not because I seeked for it) studied music quite a bit, and I know an awful lot of music theory. BUT, in my experience, those who know nothing about minor chords with added major 7th, flatted 5ths or sonata form details, have often more valuable things to offer about experiencing music. And experiencing music is the most important thing. All theory is formed after the music it tries to explain has already been composed. Theory never comes before actual music. Knowing all this "fancy" stuff doesn't take anything away from feeling the music, but none of it is required to share with people how the music makes you feel. I've found that often you can explain things quicker if you know this stuff, to a person who knows it too. For example, if I tell you I like a certain bit of Genesis's "Mad Man Moon" (perhaps my favourite song ever), I can just say that I mean the bit where it moves from A/E to Am(add9). If you don't know the chords, you will have to try to explain with other words which bit you mean, perhaps trying to remember the lyrics. But knowing what those chords are doesn't change how that beautiful chordal movement makes me feel. The downside in using chord names and stuff to explain the pieces of music you mean, is that people often think that you like them because you know those chords!

lizzyplays
06-09-2012, 01:50 PM
I read some of the Borderers reviews of concerts and I am in awe. How they know and notice every little voice inflection, etc. Me? I just know if the song made me cry, made me bounce in my seat, brought back a terrific (or other) memory. Eagles songs make me sing out loud and think of simpler times. Guns N Roses and Slash get me excited and feeling youthful again.

Something I have started doing recently is trying to pick apart the music. Listening for the different instruments and really taking note of what each is playing and how alone, on their own, they don't always sound like the song in it's full form. Did that make sense? lol I really like figuring out the lead and rhythm guitar parts. I'm 48 but would love to learn guitar! Or, maybe I'm just obsessed with guitar players in general. :-)

chaim
06-09-2012, 02:35 PM
I read some of the Borderers reviews of concerts and I am in awe. How they know and notice every little voice inflection, etc. Me? I just know if the song made me cry, made me bounce in my seat, brought back a terrific (or other) memory. Eagles songs make me sing out loud and think of simpler times. Guns N Roses and Slash get me excited and feeling youthful again.

Something I have started doing recently is trying to pick apart the music. Listening for the different instruments and really taking note of what each is playing and how alone, on their own, they don't always sound like the song in it's full form. Did that make sense? lol I really like figuring out the lead and rhythm guitar parts. I'm 48 but would love to learn guitar! Or, maybe I'm just obsessed with guitar players in general. :-)

It's very interesting to do that. Especially with a band like YES, whose music if often a collection of parts from different instruments. Sometimes no one is playing just chords in that music.
The guitar is a wonderful instrument for me, because you can play it alone, and still play both chords and melodies, although usually I just strum chords and sing the melodies. You don't have to know an awful lot of stuff to be able to entertain yourself with a guitar, and that's wonderful.

chaim
06-09-2012, 03:27 PM
Here's one of the most beautiful songs I've ever heard. As you may know, Paul Stanley is a rhythm guitar player, but he has played a few solos. The solo he played in this song is one of the best guitar solos I have ever heard:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7ofrdBdJRM

It was also great to see the song in the Unplugged set. Paul let Bruce play the solo in one of the Unplugged songs although he played it on the album ("Sure know something"). I'm glad that Paul played the World Without Heroes solo himself, and didn't give it away to Bruce. You can see, when Paul starts the solo, the smile on Gene's face when he's looking at the crowd. He's obviously "with the audience", feeling good as his old friend gets the spotlight and plays that great solo of his after so many years:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvgZSd3zrjA