PDA

View Full Version : 32 Reasons Why the Eagles are the Best Band in the Universe

DonFan
05-10-2007, 10:56 AM
From Today's New York Magazine--this is fabulous:

32 Reasons Why the Eagles Are the Best Band in the Universe (http://nymag.com/daily/entertainment/2007/05/why_the_eagles_are_the_best_ba.html)

sodascouts
05-10-2007, 11:13 AM
lol! That IS great! There's a couple inaccuracies, but all in all, a good read. Thanks for posting it!

Brooke
05-10-2007, 01:12 PM
THAT is funny! Love it! :applause:

SweetHolly
05-10-2007, 04:29 PM
Thanks for posting! I love it. :thumbsup: 8)

DonFan
05-10-2007, 05:55 PM
We could almost have a whole discussion about the merits of different points in that article.
Personally, I like 5 & 6:

5. Don Henley is wearing the manliest peasant blouse in rock history.

6. Don Henley’s fro.

I also love No. 32. I wish we were all as "boring" as Glenn! $$$ :wink:

SweetHolly
05-10-2007, 05:57 PM
We could almost have a whole discussion about the merits of different points in that article.
Personally, I like 5 & 6:

5. Don Henley is wearing the manliest peasant blouse in rock history.

6. Don Henley’s fro.

I also love No. 32. I wish we were all as "boring" as Glenn! $$$ :wink:
True, we could.

I like 5 & 6 too. :wink:

sodascouts
05-10-2007, 07:14 PM
I think my favorite is:

"21. The cover of the 1978 holiday single “Please Come Home for Christmas” backed with “Funky New Year,” which depicts the shirtless Eagles celebrating the birth of Christ by sipping Mai Tais poolside in the company of women who look as bored as they are, if not more."

Describes that cover PERFECTLY!

SweetHolly
05-10-2007, 07:23 PM
I think my favorite is:

"21. The cover of the 1978 holiday single “Please Come Home for Christmas” backed with “Funky New Year,” which depicts the shirtless Eagles celebrating the birth of Christ by sipping Mai Tais poolside in the company of women who look as bored as they are, if not more."

Describes that cover PERFECTLY!
I like that one too. It's so funny.

DonFan
05-10-2007, 11:30 PM
12. On the Border’s liner-note shout-out to “the fire gods Nido and Wotan.”

Okay, can anyone explain this to me?

sodascouts
05-10-2007, 11:33 PM
12. On the Border’s liner-note shout-out to “the fire gods Nido and Wotan.”

Okay, can anyone explain this to me?

Probably nicknames for their drug dealers. ;)

Maleah
05-10-2007, 11:35 PM
LOL!! Wouldn't suprise me :D

SweetHolly
05-10-2007, 11:47 PM
LOL!! Wouldn't suprise me :D
LOL!!! Doesn't suprise me either. :wink:

glenneaglesfan
05-11-2007, 03:42 AM
This is a good read and very funny, but does anyone else read between the lines that this guy is actually saying "32 reasons why the Eagles are the worst band in the universe."? Most of those statements seem to be tongue in cheek, or have I become more cynical than I thought?! :?

DonFan
05-11-2007, 08:57 AM
Well.... didn't take it that way at all, GEF.

sodascouts
05-11-2007, 10:58 AM
I think the writer was trying to make it funny and as a result tossed in things like "Don's fro", but the more developed praise seems genuine to me.

Brooke
05-11-2007, 01:23 PM
I think I like # 5 the best "manliest peasant blouse in rock history". :hilarious: And Don looks very HS & G in it too! :smitten:

Thanks for asking about the "fire gods", too, DonFan. I was lost on that one too!

Freypower
05-11-2007, 06:40 PM
This is a good read and very funny, but does anyone else read between the lines that this guy is actually saying "32 reasons why the Eagles are the worst band in the universe."? Most of those statements seem to be tongue in cheek, or have I become more cynical than I thought?! :?

Believe me, if it WAS 'worst' you would know about it.

DonFan
05-11-2007, 06:46 PM
I think I like # 5 the best "manliest peasant blouse in rock history". :hilarious: And Don looks very HS & G in it too! :smitten:

He is rather gorgeous in that "blouse", isn't he ? Love the mushrooms!

While we are at this, I'd like to volunteer an answer to this one:

22. “Funky New Year,” the best song ever written about Don Henley waking up with a hangover and thinking to himself, Whose shoes are these?

Uhhh...mine? 8)

sodascouts
05-11-2007, 07:15 PM

The mushrooms look like they each have a pair of eyes! TOTALLY PSYCHEDELIC, dude! ;)

22. “Funky New Year,” the best song ever written about Don Henley waking up with a hangover and thinking to himself, Whose shoes are these?

Uhhh...mine? 8)

:twisted:

Brooke
05-12-2007, 09:42 AM

The mushrooms look like they each have a pair of eyes! TOTALLY PSYCHEDELIC, dude! ;)

Uhhh...mine? 8)

:twisted:

Oh, you must be confused DonFan. I believe those shoes were mine! :twisted:

Ive always been a dreamer
05-12-2007, 10:10 PM
I like #5 and #32 as well. I think #3 is pretty spot on too.

3. Like all good California singer-songwriters, they looked great, too — no other band has pulled off the awake-for-three-days-on-peyote-buttons, stumbling-off-a-Lear-jet-dressed-like-a-cowboy thing with as much style.

DF and Brooke - better check the size of those shoes. I have a pair just like them. :twisted:

DonFan
05-12-2007, 10:36 PM
No way. I promise you, they are MY shoes. :twisted:

Glennsallnighter
05-13-2007, 02:25 AM
My favourite bit is:

8. The moment in “Already Gone” when Glenn tells somebody “You’ll have to eat your lunch all by yourself,” like he’s disciplining a fourth-grader.

I love that line myself, and I wouldn't mind being a fourth Grader being disciplined by Glenn :) I presume he'd have to supervise me eating my lunch all by myself since (over here anyway) students can't be left on their own....Oh lovely :D

SweetHolly
05-13-2007, 02:31 AM
My favourite bit is:

8. The moment in “Already Gone” when Glenn tells somebody “You’ll have to eat your lunch all by yourself,” like he’s disciplining a fourth-grader.

I love that line myself, and I wouldn't mind being a fourth Grader being disciplined by Glenn :) I presume he'd have to supervise me eating my lunch all by myself since (over here anyway) students can't be left on their own....Oh lovely :D
I love that line too. I wouldn't mind being a fourth-grader that's being disciplined by Glenn either. :!: 8)

glenneaglesfan
05-13-2007, 11:08 AM
Believe me, if it WAS 'worst' you would know about it.

True indeed!

3. Like all good California singer-songwriters, they looked great, too — no other band has pulled off the awake-for-three-days-on-peyote-buttons, stumbling-off-a-Lear-jet-dressed-like-a-cowboy thing with as much style.

I like this!

The first line is good as well - a pithy remark about music critics.

sodascouts
05-14-2007, 01:31 PM
Well, hmm! Perhaps this will answer the question about whether they meant it or not! Check out this article:

"The Eagles: Don Henley Gets Dragged Into Subtle Magazine Feud" (http://idolator.com/tunes/the-eagles/don-henley-gets-dragged-into-subtle-magazine-feud-259330.php)

DonFan
05-14-2007, 02:06 PM
For quick reference, here is the gist of the above link, which basically compares The Eagles, a band the writer doesn't like, with New York magazine, a magazine he doesn't like either:
------------------------------------------------------------

"The most successful album in the history of recorded music is a greatest hits compilation by The Eagles. It has been purchased 29 million times since its release in 1976. This fact has long been a cause of consternation to people who care about rock music. It's not so much that The Eagles were an execrable band (which they were), or that they outsold worthier competitors like Michael Jackson or Led Zeppelin (which they did). It's that The Eagles should have been the best rock band ever, but instead opted to remain a slick and empty confection. All the elements were there—exquisite harmonies, some truly beautiful songs, gifted musicians—but somehow the expensive ingredients all collapsed into a flaccid soufflé of radio-ready pabulum. Notwithstanding their success, The Eagles are now generally remembered as either the worst good band or the best awful band of their era.

Why can't I remember anything I've read in 'New York' over the past two years? Because all too often it's a magazine without elbows—or a spine, or a pulse.Which brings us to New York magazine, the title that swept the National Magazine Awards last Tuesday in five categories, including general excellence and design. Despite all its recent accolades, New York is to journalism what The Eagles were to rock: a technically flawless assemblage of expertly crafted elements that look, on paper (as it were), as though they ought to translate into a superb magazine, and yet somehow still manage to suck. "

-------------------------------------------------
Ouch!
I am so glad I am a writer trying to make a living in sweet home Alabama, instead of in ultra-cool, oh-so-impressed-with-themselves New York.

glenneaglesfan
05-14-2007, 05:00 PM
And what is wrong with radio ready songs? This is of those critics that underlines no.1

1. No band is more deeply misunderstood, particularly by people who believe art should be pious.

DonFan
05-14-2007, 05:51 PM
And what is wrong with radio ready songs? This is of those critics that underlines no.1

1. No band is more deeply misunderstood, particularly by people who believe art should be pious.

So true!

The writer said it himself right here:
"All the elements were there—exquisite harmonies, some truly beautiful songs, gifted musicians—"

But IMO what he considers "radio-ready pabulum" would more accurately be described as a catalog of classic songs that could be, in turn, hauntingly beautiful, bitingly sarcastic, but always impeccably crafted and beautifully performed.

sodascouts
05-14-2007, 06:24 PM
Amen. That guy's self-righteous pronouncements on the Eagles just make me roll my eyes.

Freypower
05-14-2007, 07:23 PM
It's only cool to like rock songs if they sound like 'the streets' (Springsteen), if the band had a serious drug (i.e. heroin) problem or if someone is dead (Parsons, Cobain).

Rock music criticism is an absolute joke. It always has been. It has always been about what is 'fashionable' as opposed to what is actually good. 'Oh dear, I know the Eagles were good. I just don't dare say so or I'll lose my street cred'. :roll:

Randy's Girl
05-15-2007, 04:40 AM
I never take any notice of critics. It's only one person's opinion, that's all.

SweetHolly
05-15-2007, 06:08 PM
Amen. That guy's self-righteous pronouncements on the Eagles just make me roll my eyes.
It's making my eyes roll too. :roll:

SweetHolly
05-15-2007, 06:08 PM
I never take any notice of critics. It's only one person's opinion, that's all.
Amen!!!