PDA

View Full Version : Joe's new song, Family

Brooke
06-15-2012, 03:38 PM
I'm posting the lyrics I found on the net (don't have the cd with me right now) and I just think it's a really heartfelt, lovely song, but it bothers me.

"Family"

I've been alone most of my life
I've never known what it was like
To end up somewhere and not have to pack
To be among friends I know have my back

But now I'm here where I belong
I've finally found a wife and a home
And a family that matters, means more to me
Than anything I have ever believed

And when we are gathered together
Tell me how blessed can somebody be

Give thanks, break bread, say grace, bow heads
For all of this love that surrounds me
We laugh, we cry, stand together that's why
It's all being part of a family

Tried it before, never felt right
I never dreamed that someday I might
Be part of something bigger than me
It makes me feel humble, finally I see

All that we have is each other
And that's all that I'll ever need

Give thanks, take time to say that I'm
So grateful for all that surrounds me

I can't help thinking the first time I heard it, what are his other family members going to think of this? It makes me sad that he might be estranged from them. I supposed that probably he was such a mess when they were growing up that they might have pretty much written him off and possibly those fences can't be mended.

Does anyone know how he gets along with his children from previous marriages? I really don't know how many he has. I know Emma died at three or so and there is Lucy, who he helped a couple years ago with a tv thing or an album or something. I'm thinking he also has at least one son. It seems like he was mentioned somewhere.

He does certainly seem to be happy with his family now.

Any thoughts?

EagleLady
06-15-2012, 04:15 PM
If I recall He has two sons from his marriage to Denise

mustangkim11
06-15-2012, 06:45 PM
Brooke-

I have actually been thinking the same thing abt Joe and his 'other' family, meaning the ones that came before he met Marje.

I do love this song and think it is one of the best on the album but by the same token, I do feel sad for his kids from the other relationships. I don't know. I wonder if it hurts them or not, as you said, maybe they're estranged.

jdubfan
06-15-2012, 09:54 PM
Since I obviously don't personally know Joe or his family, this is speculation from 40+ years of listening/reading interviews and from other things with which I have experience. This isn't so much about Joe's family, it's more about Joe and his ability to bond and have relationships. He's spoken about being physically separated from friends and family all the years on the road, then mentally separated from the affects of addiction. Isolating, a common addiction problem, so he was checked out most of the time. This no doubt was hard on his marriages and kids. And was the reason exes became exes and why friends, other relationships were lost.

Then when you become sober, all those relationships change again. Some are repaired, some are lost, amends are made, and starting life over begins. Now, with the recovery that he's achieved, he can mentally and physically connect, be a husband, father, family member 'cause he's plugged in and available and not hiding in a bottle.

Lucy's media was very positive and pro Joe about this new music, so I'm guessing she understood what was being said in this song. I don't remember what ages his boys are or how much they understand all the dynamics of things, but I've heard Joe say at the end of a few interviews Hello to them and that he loves them. I'm guessing that's not just for show. Honesty is the most important part of recovery and he seems intent on that.

I think it's lovely, very heartfelt song, with very naked and tender feelings. So happy he can have this kind of insight now. Proof that it's never too late for love, acceptance and to start over. That's my take on it.

Victim of Love
06-15-2012, 11:11 PM
I seem to recall reading somewhere recently that he actually has two sons from his marriage to Denise and they live in the San Diego area, I believe. Hard to say how close he may be with them but hopefully he's meding fences now that his life has settled into something more normal. IMO Marjorie has had a true calming influence on him and it shows. Listening to Analog Man for about ten days now I have to say that as much as I love his earlier work, this is the best he's ever done and this song in particular seems to be very introspective.

BramwenR
06-16-2012, 12:47 AM
As soon as I read the first para I knew it was something about bonding. Also, that any mistakes he made in the past with relationships all seem insignificant now because he's mended. He's let go of his demons,, moved on and got the happiness he's craved all these years.

Also, just reading between the lines about his other kids..it depends how much he was in their lives to begin with as to how they react to him now. If they were very little, chances are they may not have learned about his addictive behaviour but if they weren't, he respects their distance and still reminds them that he loves them.

I admired Joes from his openness with One Day At A Time, which I saw for the first time on the F1 Tout DVD..that is a pledge from AA, or any other addiction related group where they cite the Serenity Prayer...one day at a time is the mantra addicts are taught to live by.

I am guessing Family is an extension of that. He certainly looks much happier, relaxed and content these days. Getting from that place to where he is now took a lot of strength. I haven't heard the album except for the title track and one other..I am sure it will be good for him :)

Good luck to him, in the music industry that's a huge plus.

mustangkim11
06-16-2012, 06:47 AM
I will say one thing though about 'Family', I feel myself tearing up when I hear it. I do like the message behind it and I like the fact that Joe is quite willing to lay the deepest parts of himself out there now. I think it's prob one of my fav songs on Analog Man and I can't seem to get it out of my head.

I liked what jdubfan had to say. Thanks for putting another perspective on it. I really didn't think about it that way, so I appreciate it.

Ive always been a dreamer
06-16-2012, 01:56 PM
jdubfan - I totally agree with your take on this song. I was going to post something very similar, but you beat me to it - so thanks for saving me some time. :thumbsup:

I think it is pretty widely known that Joe has three children - daughter Lucy (born in early 80's), and sons Alden and Emerson (both born in late 90's). And, of course, he lost a young daughter, Emma, in a car accident in the mid 70's. I'm pretty sure that Joe also mentioned a stepson in a recent interview, who I presumed is Marjorie's son. Everything I've read or seen recently indicates Joe is on good terms with his children even though he has often said he wished he had more time to spend with them. I've also heard that he has a couple of brothers, but I don't know this for sure and, if so, I have no idea what his relationship is with them. I don't know if his parents are still living or not. But, in any event, as jdubfan so eloquently stated, I look at the lyrics in Family, and think they are more about Joe's state of mind and ability to feel connected to his family now as opposed to the days when his mind was chemically altered. In other words, it wasn't that he didn't love his family before - it's just that he didn't have the ability to feel the connection before like he does now.

And, BTW, I also find the song very touching. I think it's one of my favorites on Analog Man.

mustangkim11
06-16-2012, 05:29 PM
I actually created a drawing today based on this song.

I did a rough sketch of Joe and then hand-lettered the lyrics around the outside. I think it came out okay.

Prettymaid
06-17-2012, 07:48 AM
That's really cool Kim. Thanks for sharing it.

I also like what Deb had to say (as usual). During interviews Joe talks about having to re-learn how to do EVERYTHING after becoming clean and sober. I find it touching that Joe now finds happiness in sitting at a table having a meal with his family - something most of us might take for granted.

06-17-2012, 11:57 AM
That is awesome, Kim!

And good to hear from you, PM. We've missed ya around here.

Brooke
06-17-2012, 05:07 PM
Jdfan, thanks so much for your perspective on this. That all makes sense. I'm so glad Joe has been so successful with his sobriety. And I'm sure all you can do is take one day at a time to get through it.

mk, that was beautiful! Thanks for posting!

mustangkim11
06-17-2012, 06:16 PM
Thanks for the kind words, everyone. Joe has been really inspiring me lately.

EaglesKiwi
06-18-2012, 05:29 AM
Deb, great post and I feel much the same way - that Joe is now able to truly appreciate what he has. From reading the lyrics I got the feeling that Marjorie has welcomed all Joe's family too.

Kim - loved our pic.

TimothyBFan
06-18-2012, 10:56 AM
Just my 2 cents, and I won't go into great detail because I really haven't had a chance to listen more than a few times. So far, tho, I have to say my fave 3 are Wrecking Ball, Lucky That Way and of course, Analog Man. Least fave is Spanish Dancer.

As for Family, I have to say this song kind of bothers me. I have to wonder what his family is thinking about that.
The 2nd verse:

WTH?!?! I think if I was one of his kids or ex wives, I'd be all over that. Maybe you had it before, buddy, but was to messed up to realize it. Sorry, that sounds harsh but this song really got me the first time I heard it, went back and listened again. Not sure how I truly feel about it. Think it's pretty harsh and a heck of a way to alienate any family. JMO.

TimothyBFan
06-18-2012, 11:06 AM
I just posted what I felt about this song but maybe I'm way off base. I hope I am and after reading jdubfan's take, I would much rather see it from that angle. Thanks for sharing that.

VAisForEagleLovers
06-18-2012, 11:37 AM
Just my 2 cents, and I won't go into great detail because I really haven't had a chance to listen more than a few times. So far, tho, I have to say my fave 3 are Wrecking Ball, Lucky That Way and of course, Analog Man. Least fave is Spanish Dancer.

As for Family, I have to say this song kind of bothers me. I have to wonder what his family is thinking about that.
The 2nd verse:

WTH?!?! I think if I was one of his kids or ex wives, I'd be all over that. Maybe you had it before, buddy, but was to messed up to realize it. Sorry, that sounds harsh but this song really got me the first time I heard it, went back and listened again. Not sure how I truly feel about it. Think it's pretty harsh and a heck of a way to alienate any family. JMO.

I won't speak about the ex-wives since I don't know the situation. All I know is I drank too much when I was married and when I got divorced, I no longer felt the need to drink. But that's my story and maybe not Joe's!

When I heard the song and read the lyrics, I took it to mean that the family he is talking about is the entire family. He 'found' them once he got sober. He's talked a lot about having to learn to do everything sober and I imagine that once he was sober for some amount of time, his own children were like different people to him and he had to relearn those relationships and get to know them as people all over again. When he did, and that wouldn't be an overnight process, he's 'found' the relationships are now what they should be.

Maybe I'm just optimistic. I find it hard to believe he meant the lyrics in a negative way.

Topkat
06-18-2012, 03:20 PM

The 2nd verse:

TBF have to agree with you about his song "Family" I was disturbed by what he was saying there. He has children (I'm not sure how many) from previous wives & I can't imagine how they must feel about hearing those lyrics!! He did have family, but yeah, he was too messed up to even notice them or take the time to cherish their relationship. I really feel for those kids, even the ex-wives, who I'm sure must have loved him at some point. I'm glad Joe has straightened himself out, but that doesn't take away the pain he must have caused those kids. I wonder how he treats them now, or what kind of relationship they have. When you're growing up, your dad means the world to you, & I hope Joe has tried to mend those fences, but the pain never really goes away. Hope they forgive him, but it's still a sad story.

Prettymaid
06-18-2012, 07:57 PM
I'm an optimist too VA. I tend to agree with your take on it.

Brooke has started a thread about the song Family and this exact topic.

Topkat
06-18-2012, 09:32 PM
I still have mixed feelings about this song. He has been sober for many years, I believe he said that he became sober right before the Eagles reunited for the HFO tour. He said in an interview that I believe it was Glenn & Don who did an intervention & helped save him & become sober. They wanted to reunite & do the HFO tour, but they told Joe he had to be sober!!! Go listen to the Howard Stern interview because he talks about it there. So this family song is about his marriage & family with Marjorie. I do wonder how his other children feel about it. I hope Marjorie has helped him have a better relationship with his children, but I believe the family he's talking about in the song is the people she has brought into his life, not his previous family. That is my interpretation of the song.

VAisForEagleLovers
06-18-2012, 09:45 PM
Somewhere on this board is a link to an article where this question is asked. Here's the question and his reply and I'm not the one with the improper use of the word right/write (where do these 'journalists' go to school?)

Am I write in thinking the lyrics to your song “Family” imply religious leanings?

Spiritual maybe. I got married three years ago and along with my wife I have this big family that’s very close. It’s a dynamic I’ve never been around and I’m learning. It’s a different way of looking at the world. There’s this community I’m part of and I have to interact whether I want to or not. I was always kind of a loner and, of course, in my darker days I isolated a lot, never got in a relationship that worked therefore never got close to in-laws but this is whole big family, it’s opened me up. I used to think I was so different and unique and the exception to the rule and no-one understood. They all understand and now I’m part of something.

ETA: The whole article is here...
http://www.theartsdesk.com/new-music/interview-10-questions-joe-walsh

Freypower
06-18-2012, 11:33 PM
Since I obviously don't personally know Joe or his family, this is speculation from 40+ years of listening/reading interviews and from other things with which I have experience. This isn't so much about Joe's family, it's more about Joe and his ability to bond and have relationships. He's spoken about being physically separated from friends and family all the years on the road, then mentally separated from the affects of addiction. Isolating, a common addiction problem, so he was checked out most of the time. This no doubt was hard on his marriages and kids. And was the reason exes became exes and why friends, other relationships were lost.

Then when you become sober, all those relationships change again. Some are repaired, some are lost, amends are made, and starting life over begins. Now, with the recovery that he's achieved, he can mentally and physically connect, be a husband, father, family member 'cause he's plugged in and available and not hiding in a bottle.

Lucy's media was very positive and pro Joe about this new music, so I'm guessing she understood what was being said in this song. I don't remember what ages his boys are or how much they understand all the dynamics of things, but I've heard Joe say at the end of a few interviews Hello to them and that he loves them. I'm guessing that's not just for show. Honesty is the most important part of recovery and he seems intent on that.

I think it's lovely, very heartfelt song, with very naked and tender feelings. So happy he can have this kind of insight now. Proof that it's never too late for love, acceptance and to start over. That's my take on it.

I have now heard the song (my copy arrived yesterday) & I wish to state that I agree with this, but as yet I am not a great fan of the song itself in terms of its music.

06-19-2012, 12:15 AM
Well, often times lyrics are open to interpretation, and everyone brings their own life experiences in the way they interprete things. But, we can't ignore what the songwriter has to say about the song. Like VA said in another thread, I don't believe that Joe meant this to be negative - he says it is a spiritual song. We also know that his daughter Lucy is certainly comfortable with the song. I think Joe realizes that the reason he was unable to feel a connection to family before now is not because of the people he loved at the time - I believe he is acknowledging that the problem was him, and this acknowledgement may even be his way of apologizing to those that he drove away or did not nuture properly before he got sober. This admission is kind of his 'chicken soup for the soul'. In 'One Day At a Time', he says "I finally had to admit that I was the problem".

TimothyBFan
06-19-2012, 08:52 AM
I'm an optimist also. I don't see where that has anything to do with interpreting music lyrics. But I'm also a realist and know things aren't always sunshine and roses. These lyrics just seem negative to me but after reading what VA posted, it sheds some light on it.

Thanks for posting that, VA. That actually makes me feel better because he is pretty much admitting it was himself that kept him from connecting with the family then and that he is trying to make amends now. I do believe he's talking about his "whole" family and not just the ones Marjorie brought into the picture.

Brooke
06-19-2012, 10:01 AM
I wish I knew how to bring the discussion in the other thread over here so we wouldn't have to reply in two threads.

Any of you mods know how to do this?

06-19-2012, 04:28 PM
Brooke - I'm working now, but I can take care of this later this evening.

ETA: I moved the posts about this song from the other thread here. Willie, I took the liberty of merging your last two posts because they were kind of the same - I didn't change any of the content, just deleted a duplicate sentence so it didn't look like you were repeating yourself. :wink:

sodascouts
06-20-2012, 06:34 AM
Don't have time to elaborate now but I found the lyrics about finally having a family that matters - implying the others didn't matter to him, even if it was due to his alcoholism - to be very sad. If I were one of his other kids, I would feel pretty hurt. I mean, I guess they kind of figured out how things stood as they were growing up, but it must not be fun to hear him say it.

TimothyBFan
06-23-2012, 10:55 AM
Leaving shortly to do some running but had to pop on here and tell you what just happened.

Larry had to run up to the hardware store to pick up some plywood so he took my truck to bring it home. I have Analog Man in the player. He came in the house when he returned while I was folding clothes and said, "Joe Walsh must be married and starting over with a new family? I thought you told me he has kids already?" I told him yes, etc... Asked him how he knew that (knowing he must be listening to Family). He told me he heard a couple of songs that played when he was gone and that the last song was about that. I told him how we'd all been discussing this. Asked him what he thought of the song. Said it sounded like he's really happy... now. Said gathered wasn't so happy in the past.

For what it's worth, he really liked the songs he heard.